PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Fremantle R6 2023 Friday April 21 8:10PM AEST, Optus Stadium

Pages : 1 [2]

westdog54
21-04-2023, 11:53 PM
That's a magnificent win. Well done lads.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-04-2023, 11:53 PM
Really good performance. Needed it too.

The Underdog
21-04-2023, 11:54 PM
Highest score of the year by 29 points and should have been 20 more

DOG GOD
21-04-2023, 11:55 PM
Great win. Loved the pressure. Bont, Libba, Treloar, English and Jones all HUGE

Mantis
21-04-2023, 11:55 PM
We’re a really good side…please show that we are more often than not.

Bont, more of that.

whythelongface
21-04-2023, 11:56 PM
Highest score of the year by 29 points and should have been 20 more

At least. Reckon we missed 7 to 8 very getable goals.

bornadog
21-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Treloar sensational this week. BOG for me along with Bont

whythelongface
21-04-2023, 11:58 PM
Can we play like this at Marvel? The forward line worked brilliantly.

angelopetraglia
21-04-2023, 11:58 PM
Stevo.

Dogs have already beaten 3 finalists from 2022:
Bris, Rich, Freo.
Have lost to:
Melb, a hot StK and Port in Adel.
Not too bad, really.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 12:00 AM
Most clearances in a V/AFL match for the @WesternBulldogs (1998 onwards)…

14 - JACK MACRAE (R6 2023)
14 - Tom Liberatore (R22 2013)
14 - S. Garlick (R10 1999)
13 - 9 players

G-Mo77
22-04-2023, 12:02 AM
Can we play like this at Marvel? The forward line worked brilliantly.

Wonder if the bigger ground was at play there? We seemed to have more space to work with, players leading into open areas. I hope we're starting to get in sync up there and it's not just a bigger ground.

whythelongface
22-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Wonder if the bigger ground was at play there? We seemed to have more space to work with, players leading into open areas. I hope we're starting to get in sync up there and it's not just a bigger ground.

That is my only concern. The bigger space really works in our favour. Hopefully it was an adjustment in how we played more movement and thus creating the space needed. Hard to tell on the TV.

bornadog
22-04-2023, 12:13 AM
That is my only concern. The bigger space really works in our favour. Hopefully it was an adjustment in how we played more movement and thus creating the space needed. Hard to tell on the TV.

Same size as Marvel.

Boundary line to Boundary line

Optus Stadium - 160 x 130

Marvel - 159.5 x 128.8

merantau
22-04-2023, 12:19 AM
Really good win. We had a lot of contributors and some outstanding games from the usual suspects.

bornadog
22-04-2023, 12:21 AM
Tastes goos

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuPYS_iaMAAgMez?format=jpg&name=large

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-04-2023, 12:21 AM
Most clearances in a V/AFL match for the @WesternBulldogs (1998 onwards)…

14 - JACK MACRAE (R6 2023)
14 - Tom Liberatore (R22 2013)
14 - S. Garlick (R10 1999)
13 - 9 players

Jack was like a locomotion tonight he just seemed to get going and get more momentum as the game wore on.

hujsh
22-04-2023, 12:27 AM
One positive from tonight is our abysmal percentage is back to being just poor. 90.3 up from 78 or something

whythelongface
22-04-2023, 12:28 AM
Same size as Marvel.

Boundary line to Boundary line

Optus Stadium - 160 x 130

Marvel - 159.5 x 128.8

Interesting. Very deceptive the old perception. Good to know though. If we can play like that at Marvel we will rock.

Thanks for researching

whythelongface
22-04-2023, 12:29 AM
Jack was like a locomotion tonight he just seemed to get going and get more momentum as the game wore on.

We do bag him a bit and he made some mistakes but geez his last quarter was hot.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 12:33 AM
Interesting. Very deceptive the old perception. Good to know though. If we can play like that at Marvel we will rock.

Thanks for researching

It's all about the camera angle. At Marvel you're right on top of things.

The SCG looks like there's no space because the cameras are lower in the stands, at the G and Optus the cameras are higher and further away.

kruder
22-04-2023, 12:34 AM
Williams best game since 2021. He has the attributes of a good player there is no doubt about it hopefully we can see it more often.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 12:36 AM
We're a much more exciting and clinical team to watch when we put pressure on and use the footy with a bit of respect.

That was a super enjoyable game, the inaccuracy notwithstanding. So many really good performances and enough performances at the expected level to be more than competitive.

It won't always work out that way, but the effort we've seen for most of the last four weeks needs to be maintained for as long as possible because we'll stay in games and win more than we lose if it is.

SonofScray
22-04-2023, 12:38 AM
If last week was our first good loss, this week was our first good win. The result said more about us and our talent and performance than them. 3-3 after our start to the year is as good as I could have asked for.

The game was still pockmarked by the same issues that worry me when we lose but at least when the boys wobbled in the 2nd, they never collapsed. Wore it and then built again. That’s promising after two hard slogs in the rain and a travel schedule.

Eastdog
22-04-2023, 12:43 AM
Great win tonight. A solid performance for 4 quarters. Our best win of the year.

Went to the Mona Castle Hotel in Seddon tonight and watched it. Lukas Webb works there and is a great guy.

Bont was excellent as well as Treloar. Really liked Jamarra’s game. Bailey Williams had one of his best games in a while.

Go Dogs!

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 12:45 AM
How good is winning on a Friday night before a long round of footy that doesn’t finish until Tuesday! Love it. Soak it in woofers. Great win tonight and lots of hope for the rest of the season on that performance. Need to consolidate with a good win against the Hawks to get ahead of the ledger.

Eastdog
22-04-2023, 12:47 AM
How good is winning on a Friday night before a long round of footy that doesn’t finish until Tuesday! Love it. Soak it in woofers. Great win tonight and lots of hope for the rest of the season on that performance. Need to consolidate with a good win against the Hawks to get ahead of the ledger.

It is the best when you win on Thursday or Friday night and the worst if you lose on those nights.

josie
22-04-2023, 01:03 AM
Missed watching the game. Looking forward to replay. Perhaps I should miss the game more often?

Great reading this game day post on tram ride home-I’m riding the ups and downs in retrospect and loving it. Thank ya woofers.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-04-2023, 01:18 AM
Optus Stadium is fantastic - so much better than Marvel in terms of presentation, atmosphere and ESPECIALLY accessibility.

If you haven't been, go - it destroys Marvel.

Sedat
22-04-2023, 01:26 AM
Optus Stadium is fantastic - so much better than Marvel in terms of presentation, atmosphere and ESPECIALLY accessibility.

Surely it's not better than Pork-Barrell Pissant No Wings Toy Stadium?

FrediKanoute
22-04-2023, 01:31 AM

Its practically brand new! Stadium design has come on leaps and bounds since Marvel was built. The stadium is nearly 25 years old

Mantis
22-04-2023, 02:07 AM

Glad you had a great night.. up the Dogs.

Danny the snakeman
22-04-2023, 02:43 AM

As a wheelie myself totally agree about accessibility.

kruder
22-04-2023, 03:45 AM
It was hard not to watch tonight's game and wanna fast forward a few years and see what a player Marra will become but happy to wait because I wanna enjoy every minute we have left with the Bont.

I know we are playing the Hawks but there should be 40k plus there next week its the least we can do for the Bont, what a player he has been.

Go_Dogs
22-04-2023, 08:09 AM
How good is the Bont?

Great win. Very happy.

Hotdog60
22-04-2023, 08:12 AM
I was critical of Macrea early and not so much of his disposal but more on how he was moving but as its been said he got better as the game went on.
I liked Marra's game and presented well and 10 marks is a good effort.
Jones is developing and he's not setting the world on fire but he seemed more about tonight if that makes sense and do you make Vanders earn his spot in the VFL in stead of giving him a game for fitness.
Out of the two Mac's I think Lachlan had just as much influence in his one quarter than Toby in three quarters I like Toby but I think he has gone a long way back since his knee and time on ground for both players Toby was 54% to Lachlan's 20% so be ready for Toby to be back in the two's next week.
The Bont was superb last night and is having a great season so much so if he's not on the ground we don't look as good and in a team sport so much reliance shouldn't fall on one player.
Final note on the men in white (well not anymore) were poor last night going both ways like Naughts wasn't being held by Pearce and Keath didn't block Amiss they now have 4 of them surely it should be better than what we've seen so far this season.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 09:55 AM
Good call on Macrae, he was just plodding around a bit early but his urgency increased as the game wore on and he was awesome in the end.

I feel a bit like the rest of the team he remembered what he can do caught fire. Last night it seemed as if we ran and really wanted to get the ball forward with intent between the arcs. It wasn't perfect but it was such an improvement on anything we've seen this year.

bornadog
22-04-2023, 09:58 AM
Marra 10 marks, Lobb 6 and Naughton 4 - pretty good return. I think the three are starting to click together

Happy Days
22-04-2023, 10:13 AM
Marra was awesome but left a real bag out there. He created his own luck more than he has any other game so far, I’d love to know his GPS numbers.

G-Mo77
22-04-2023, 10:16 AM
Marra was awesome but left a real bag out there. He created his own luck more than he has any other game so far, I’d love to know his GPS numbers.

The whole forward line looked pretty good which was strange. Lots of higher leads and a key forward was left on his own more inside 50 more than usual. It wasn't perfect but on the TV there seemed some significant improvements.

EasternWest
22-04-2023, 10:18 AM

Marra's going to be a really good player. I know, I know Captain Obvious, but he just moves so well and is constantly involved. I reckon watching Naughton chase and pressure has been great for him.

ledge
22-04-2023, 10:48 AM
Any news on Libba and concussion ? Just read an article where he and JJ under a cloud for next week .
I ask what questions could you ask to find out if Libba is concussed because I think whatever you ask him you will get an answer that’s going to be a bit out there even if he isn’t concussed. Probably some sort of Simpson quote.

chef
22-04-2023, 10:52 AM
Naughtons dad has a mullet too, im not surprised and i love it.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 10:59 AM
Last night. I know that Macrae has been copping some heat for his form being below what we have normally seen. But thought he made a big step forward last night. His stats were very close to Bont's last night.

Bont v Macrae.

Kicks 16 v 12
H/Ball 15 v 17
Disp 31 v 29
Mark 6 v 1
Tack 10 v 7
Clearance 10 v 14
Centre Cl 3 v 4
Mtrs Gain 528 v 359
i50s 7 v 9
Disp Eff 81% v 86%

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Naughtons dad has a mullet too, im not surprised and i love it.

Ha. That he barracks for Collingwood was the worst part.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 11:09 AM
Longmuir Presser

-They did not let us move the ball from our back half
-We got beaten too easily around the contest
-Their experienced midfield taught us a lesson
-They spread so well, once they got it to a spare on the outside they are hard to stop
-They kicked four goals from stoppages in the last quarter
-They didn't win the game due to the ball movement out of their back half, they won it as they got it forward more
-They scored heavily from their front half
-We set it up to win it at 3/4 time and you can expose yourself by doing that
-Once they moved the ball from the contest they owned us

ledge
22-04-2023, 11:19 AM
Longmuir Presser

-They did not let us move the ball from our back half
-We got beaten too easily around the contest
-Their experienced midfield taught us a lesson
-They spread so well, once they got it to a spare on the outside they are hard to stop
-They kicked four goals from stoppages in the last quarter
-They didn't win the game due to the ball movement out of their back half, they won it as they got it forward more
-They scored heavily from their front half
-We set it up to win it at 3/4 time and you can expose yourself by doing that
-Once they moved the ball from the contest they owned us

Sounds like Bevo owned him .

kruder
22-04-2023, 11:23 AM
Is there a curse with our small forward/high half forward roles?

Scott, Mclean, Arty, West, Hannan, JJ(when there), Mcsteal and VDM just can't seem to lock down a role. I think you can question if any of them are a natural forwards which I think is the big issue but would be nice if one of these boys made the role their own.

I'm going to watch Charlie Clarke again today fingers crossed in time we can addd him to the mix but would like to go with Mcsteal next week.

It just makes a massive difference when your fringe players contribute, Williams shone like a beacon last night because we just haven't got enough from our bottom handful of players for sometime now. Baker and O'Brien were both solid again, we need these types to continue to improve if we are going to make a difference this year.

I loved that we ramped up the pressure when they kicked 3 goals in a row, you could really see the boys trying to stop their momentum. It makes a huge difference when your backs can mark the ball in this situation and Jones was bloody excellent again.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 11:24 AM
Bevo Presser

-We played a good band of footy didn't we, the boys were amazing from the start
-We won the territory game from winning center bounces
-It is a pretty good way to play
-We squandered some chances, Fremantle kept coming
-We played a consistent four quarters
-We were disappointed how last week finished
-To take on Freo in front of their own crowd was a great result for us
-The players love playing here, they love the ground
-There is also pressure for Freo playing in front of a parochial crowd
-The momentum was with us from the start
-Rory, we were fortunate enough that he chose us, he didn't kick well but thought he had a good night
-Bailey Williams he is a penetrating kick, I thought he was really influential, to kick three goals
-Our ability to defend the full ground transition his getting better, we have tweaked a few things
-It is not going to get any easier, it is so difficult to win every week
-Significant milestones in the last few weeks, Marcus 200th next week, he is having a good year
-Our midfield really pulled it together tonight
-Marcus was enormous again tonight
-We will celebrate a diamond, the number #4 he has worn so well
-Libba and JJ will need to be assessed
-Jamarra had a real impact
-The key forwards compliment each other
-Marra showed courage flying for the ball
-Liam Jones intercept game come to life after half time
-The back seven played really solid
-Tim is having an influential year, it was a real battle but I think Tim did really well

Dogs 24/7
22-04-2023, 11:34 AM

Scott, Mclean, Arty, West, Hannan, JJ(when there), Mcsteal and VDM just can't seem to lock down a role. I think you can question if any of them are a natural forwards which I think is the big issue but would be nice if one of these boys made the role their own.

I'm going to watch Charlie Clarke again today fingers crossed in time we can addd him to the mix but would like to go with Mcsteal next week.

It just makes a massive difference when your fringe players contribute, Williams shone like a beacon last night because we just haven't got enough from our bottom handful of players for sometime now. Baker and O'Brien were both solid again, we need these types to continue to improve if we are going to make a difference this year.

I loved that we ramped up the pressure when they kicked 3 goals in a row, you could really see the boys trying to stop their momentum. It makes a huge difference when your backs can mark the ball in this situation and Jones was bloody excellent again.

Maybe we have tried to manufacture small forwards more than drafting the genuine article. Arty was a winger or defender when we drafted him. West was more of a mid. Pieter van den Hoogenband was a defender or winger. Scott was a mid.
McLean has proven he can play there but it isn't quite working and there is still hope for McNeil.
I say this tongue in cheek but watch us try and turn Clarke into a midfielder. :o

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 11:37 AM
Just watched the highlights. Truck's goal from the pocket when he sold that candy was from the very top shelf. Will have to be a contender for goal of the week.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 11:38 AM

I think if Vanda is fit, he is an automatic selection for Bevo. You can't teach pace.

Danjul
22-04-2023, 11:47 AM
Marra 10 marks, Lobb 6 and Naughton 4 - pretty good return. I think the three are starting to click together
Got in each other?s way a lot less. More of that please.

Hotdog60
22-04-2023, 11:49 AM
The other thing was the mids seemed lower the eyes more than usual generally they like to bang it on Naughtons head.

macca
22-04-2023, 11:50 AM
Maybe we have tried to manufacture small forwards more than drafting the genuine article. Arty was a winger or defender when we drafted him. West was more of a mid. Pieter van den Hoogenband was a defender or winger. Scott was a mid.
McLean has proven he can play there but it isn't quite working and there is still hope for McNeil.
I say this tongue in cheek but watch us try and turn Clarke into a midfielder. :o

Great call @24/7 and @kruder. Small fwd position is one of the hardest as it is a Low possession role with high impact requirement . It requires very skilful, extremely fast and natural footballers who can tackle . Charlie Cameron probable is the best in the comp at the moment in my opinion .

Not since the days of Picken, clay smith and Dickson did we have . Apart from Dickson , I think we kinda made them into fwd from necessity . They were all good tacklers, Smith and Picken being tough hard to beat footballers. Not fast but just good competitive footballers who kept their feet.

I hope we invest games into McNeil , he seems a more natural footballer than VDM . At age 21 he could be the one we should be developing
I am kinda concerned with Garcia and west , as they have not had continuity in game time and injury interruptions .

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 02:52 PM
From today's tackle. Sam Landsberger.

IS BONT BEST BULLDOG EVER?

MARCUS Bontempelli will celebrate the greatest 200th games his club has seen next week. His leadership to drag the Bulldogs from 0-2 to 3-3 should make him the clubhouse leader to be All-Australian captain and it wouldn’t surprise if he’s polled 10 Brownlow Medal votes in that four-game stretch. This is Bontempelli’s past month: 66 contested possessions 39 clearances, 35 tackles and four goals. Bontempelli is the No.1 player in the game right now and has already exceeded so many club legends, such as Chris Grant, Scott West and Brad Johnson. The question worth asking is whether he will also eclipse EJ Whitten, the biggest figure in club history. Bontempelli is seemingly on track to equal Mr Football’s five best-and-fairests this year and at 27 might play another 150. In 2016 Bontempelli did not poll a Norm Smith Medal vote, but if you watch the replay there’s a strong argument to say he was the best player when every single one of his possessions hit the target. In the 2021 grand final he also had one hand on the medal when he threw his arms out in celebration after booting the Bulldogs 19 points in front during the third quarter before Melbourne’s avalanche of goals sunk his side. If the 2021 Brownlow Medal bridesmaid can take home Charlie and skipper the Dogs to a second flag before his time is up there’s little doubt he will be the greatest Dog of all time. Coach Luke Beveridge, who always seems to find the perfect words, called Bont a “diamond”. Fully fit this year, Bont is sparkling again.

IS THE MIDFIELD BETTER WITHOUT BAILEY SMITH?

BAILEY Smith’s calf injury has forced Adam Treloar and Jack Macrae to spend more time in the centre and the midfield has seemingly struck a better balance. Early in the season Macrae was pushed to half-forward – in rounds 2-3 he attended eight and nine centre bounces – but on Friday night he was at 16 and won a career-high 14 clearances, which equalled Tom Liberatore’s club record. Treloar attended a season-high 27 centre bounces on Friday night and has had 35 disposals in each of the two games Smith has missed. The Dogs got 10 goals from their midfielders alone, matching Fremantle’s tally, while Smith will likely replace Liberatore (concussion) next week. The defence has clicked, too, with Jason Johannisen’s forward experiment ending and his ball use and bounce off halfback returning to his 2016 vintage, averaging 24 disposals in the past three weeks. As JJ’s partner Logan Shine told Roaming Brian: “He didn’t win a Norm Smith playing forward, did he?”

EasternWest
22-04-2023, 03:02 PM
From today's tackle. Sam Landsberger.

IS BONT BEST BULLDOG EVER?

MARCUS Bontempelli will celebrate the greatest 200th games his club has seen next week. His leadership to drag the Bulldogs from 0-2 to 3-3 should make him the clubhouse leader to be All-Australian captain and it wouldn’t surprise if he’s polled 10 Brownlow Medal votes in that four-game stretch. This is Bontempelli’s past month: 66 contested possessions 39 clearances, 35 tackles and four goals. Bontempelli is the No.1 player in the game right now and has already exceeded so many club legends, such as Chris Grant, Scott West and Brad Johnson. The question worth asking is whether he will also eclipse EJ Whitten, the biggest figure in club history. Bontempelli is seemingly on track to equal Mr Football’s five best-and-fairests this year and at 27 might play another 150. In 2016 Bontempelli did not poll a Norm Smith Medal vote, but if you watch the replay there’s a strong argument to say he was the best player when every single one of his possessions hit the target. In the 2021 grand final he also had one hand on the medal when he threw his arms out in celebration after booting the Bulldogs 19 points in front during the third quarter before Melbourne’s avalanche of goals sunk his side. If the 2021 Brownlow Medal bridesmaid can take home Charlie and skipper the Dogs to a second flag before his time is up there’s little doubt he will be the greatest Dog of all time. Coach Luke Beveridge, who always seems to find the perfect words, called Bont a “diamond”. Fully fit this year, Bont is sparkling again.

IS THE MIDFIELD BETTER WITHOUT BAILEY SMITH?

BAILEY Smith’s calf injury has forced Adam Treloar and Jack Macrae to spend more time in the centre and the midfield has seemingly struck a better balance. Early in the season Macrae was pushed to half-forward – in rounds 2-3 he attended eight and nine centre bounces – but on Friday night he was at 16 and won a career-high 14 clearances, which equalled Tom Liberatore’s club record. Treloar attended a season-high 27 centre bounces on Friday night and has had 35 disposals in each of the two games Smith has missed. The Dogs got 10 goals from their midfielders alone, matching Fremantle’s tally, while Smith will likely replace Liberatore (concussion) next week. The defence has clicked, too, with Jason Johannisen’s forward experiment ending and his ball use and bounce off halfback returning to his 2016 vintage, averaging 24 disposals in the past three weeks. As JJ’s partner Logan Shine told Roaming Brian: “He didn’t win a Norm Smith playing forward, did he?”

Yes. And maybe yes.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 03:19 PM
Such a huge sample size.......

Bailey Smith is a gun and if he and everyone else puts their heads down in their roles and gets on with things there's a spot for them all in our midfield rotations.

I mean, the midfield was fine in 2021 with him and Dunkley both in the rotations, but it wasn't last year and that wasn't because we had Smith and Dunkley in the rotations. It's a bullshit question.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 03:26 PM
Such a huge sample size.......

Bailey Smith is a gun and if he and everyone else puts their heads down in their roles and gets on with things there's a spot for them all in our midfield rotations.

I mean, the midfield was fine in 2021 with him and Dunkley both in the rotations, but it wasn't last year and that wasn't because we had Smith and Dunkley in the rotations. It's a bullshit question.

Dunkley missed a decent chunk of 2021 with a nasty shoulder injury and when he came back he was slowly eased back into the middle.

Happy Days
22-04-2023, 03:30 PM
It’s only a season high centre bounces because we kicked 17 goals. The loading is pretty much the same for Treloar and Macrae with or without Smith.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 03:31 PM
Dunkley missed a decent chunk of 2021 with a nasty shoulder injury and when he came back he was slowly eased back into the middle.

Sure, but he's not here now so it's probably irrelevant and only does more to say there's scope for us to continue with the blend we've got and expect them to show up switched on and ready to play with maximum effort.

I just find it silly that the papers have to suggest missing a gun player was good for us when in the past we've played amazing football with him in the side and part of the rotations. I get he's Bailey Smith and they need to generate clicks, or whatever, but I still maintain it's a bullshit premise especially after one sample.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 03:32 PM
It’s only a season high centre bounces because we kicked 17 goals. The loading is pretty much the same for Treloar and Macrae with or without Smith.

Ha! No, it's because Bailey Smith isn't playing.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 03:33 PM
Sure, but he's not here now so it's probably irrelevant and only does more to say there's scope for us to continue with the blend we've got and expect them to show up switched on and ready to play with maximum effort.

I just find it silly that the papers have to suggest missing a gun player was good for us when in the past we've played amazing football with him in the side and part of the rotations. I get he's Bailey Smith and they need to generate clicks, or whatever, but I still maintain it's a bullshit premise especially after one sample.

Good point. Don't disagree with the sentiment.

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 03:33 PM
Bailey Williams interview "he overcommitted, he didn't do his homework enough". Ha.

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1649631617235972097?s=20

jeemak
22-04-2023, 03:34 PM
Good point. Don't disagree with the sentiment.

Sorry, not good enough! The morning's coffee is still lingering and I'm in a fightin' mood!

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 03:43 PM
Centre bounces % attended stat.

English 86%
Bont 77%
Macrae 74%
Smith 62%
Libba 59%
Trengove 38%
Dunkley 38%

Sweet 79%
Macrae 77%
Bont 73%
Martin 69%
Libba 69%
English 50%
Dunks 41%
Treloar 34%
Young 34%
Smith 29%

English 84%
Martin 70%
Macrae 64%
Libba 59%
Bont 58%
Sweet 57%
Smith 54%
Dunks 50%
Treloar 37%

English 89%
Libba 78%
Bont 76%
Treloar 72%
Macrae 51%
Smith 33%
Daniel 11%

angelopetraglia
22-04-2023, 03:48 PM
So if you look at the centre bounces attended stat.

The Bont experiment (or helping him because he was injured) in 2022 is an aberration. Bont is back to his normal % of attendances.

Libba is attending way more centre bounces than normal. Probably because of the absence of Dunks.

Treloar is the big mover. He has gone from the 30s% to 72% this year. The biggest winner with Dunks leaving and also Macrae attending less.

What is also apparent is how much faith Bevo lost in English attending centre bounces in 2021.

D Mitchell
22-04-2023, 05:00 PM

4 goals between them last night in a big win game we dominated. 2 last week. 18 to date, average 3 per game, 1 each and that includes a 5 in 1 game. Unless the strategy is to run 3 decoys and rely on mids to kick goals, the 3 tall forwards isn't working and we are a game short of a third of the way through the season.

bulldogsthru&thru
22-04-2023, 05:10 PM
Just watching the replay. Wow Jones is amazing. Was he this good at Carlton? We'd honestly be in a lot more trouble without him given the demise of Keath and lack of other KPD.

Liam is everything we've been crying out for. Reads the play incredibly well, gets to the right spots and intercepts.

What an incredible 2 weeks he has had. From a guy who hasn't played AFL footy for over a year.

jazzadogs
22-04-2023, 05:25 PM
4 goals between them last night in a big win game we dominated. 2 last week. 18 to date, average 3 per game, 1 each and that includes a 5 in 1 game. Unless the strategy is to run 3 decoys and rely on mids to kick goals, the 3 tall forwards isn't working and we are a game short of a third of the way through the season.

Counterpoint - 12 scoring shots between the 3 of them last night. If Jamarra and Lobb kick at their career accuracy, it's a big night for the 3 talls.

They worked really well together last night. Lobb in particular had a good game and if he'd kicked 3.1 instead of 1.3 the attitude towards him would be a lot different.

bornadog
22-04-2023, 05:29 PM
Counterpoint - 12 scoring shots between the 3 of them last night. If Jamarra and Lobb kick at their career accuracy, it's a big night for the 3 talls.

They worked really well together last night. Lobb in particular had a good game and if he'd kicked 3.1 instead of 1.3 the attitude towards him would be a lot different.

Spot on

EasternWest
22-04-2023, 05:39 PM

Yeah I thought Lobb was ok too.

bornadog
22-04-2023, 05:54 PM
The Bont

31 touches, 18 contested @ 80%
Team high 10 tackles, 25 pressure acts
6 tackles I50
8 clearances, 3 from centre
9 score involvements
7 inside 50?s
6 marks, 2 contested
5 intercepts
2 goals
Team high 528 metres gained
3 rebound 50?s
75% kicking efficiency

comrade
22-04-2023, 06:31 PM
Only got to see bits and pieces last night but whenever I tuned in, Bont did something amazing.

We’re blessed.

D Mitchell
22-04-2023, 07:12 PM

If indicates an oddity or a weakness. For mine, the latter.

jazzadogs
22-04-2023, 07:13 PM
The Bont

31 touches, 18 contested @ 80%
Team high 10 tackles, 25 pressure acts
6 tackles I50
8 clearances, 3 from centre
9 score involvements
7 inside 50?s
6 marks, 2 contested
5 intercepts
2 goals
Team high 528 metres gained
3 rebound 50?s
75% kicking efficiency

One of the all time Bulldog games if you ask me. The number of touches, the hurt factor of his touches, the physicality, standing up at key moments...there's no doubt Treloar and Macrae were also good but Bont was absolutely outstanding.

I think I read it was the highest rated 'AFL player ratings' game of the season so far.

jazzadogs
22-04-2023, 07:19 PM
If indicates an oddity or a weakness. For mine, the latter.

Jamarra career 31.26 @ 54% - last night 0.3
Rory Lobb career 146.100 @ 59% - last night 1.3

I'd definitely love it to be better, but as I said if they kicked at their career percentages then it's an extra goal or two each. Creating shots is much harder than improving accuracy and getting 12 shots for the 3 key talls is a big win and improvement on previous weeks.

jeemak
22-04-2023, 07:59 PM
Yeah I only see upside and not a lot to be fretting over. We won by 49 points against Fremantle in Perth, our tall forwards had plenty of opportunities but didn't convert. Some work to do for sure, but overwhelmingly positive.

macca
23-04-2023, 01:34 PM
Just watching the replay. Wow Jones is amazing. Was he this good at Carlton? We'd honestly be in a lot more trouble without him given the demise of Keath and lack of other KPD.

Liam is everything we've been crying out for. Reads the play incredibly well, gets to the right spots and intercepts.

What an incredible 2 weeks he has had. From a guy who hasn't played AFL footy for over a year.

I like this version of Liam.
His ferocious in the contest, got a bit of mad dog, anger about him.

Hits the fwds hard to make them earn their marks. Bumbs, arm chops and blocks. The chest and shoulder charge was really good in the game ( can't recall who or when it was in which quarter). He comes off his man to help intercept and reads this play exceptionally well.

Does not give away dumb free kicks. In the first quarter the ump gave a crap arm chopping free against him. IT was just soft.

I can only interpret that the year off has made him hungry ... oh and he played in a crap Carlton club for a long time losing games.. yeah that would make ya pretty angry.

jazzadogs
23-04-2023, 01:42 PM
I was just looking at the votes for this game, and noted Macrae has only polled a few. I think we are sleeping on how good his game was:

29 disposals - 20 contested possessions - @ 86% efficiency
7 tackles (4 inside 50 tackles) - 30 pressure acts
14 clearances - 9 inside 50s - 5 score involvements

4th highest speed in defence - 8.7km/hr. This was important to me as there was a noticeable shift in his intensity and two way running compared to earlier rounds. I wonder if he got a rocket during the week.

Grantysghost
23-04-2023, 04:57 PM
I was just looking at the votes for this game, and noted Macrae has only polled a few. I think we are sleeping on how good his game was:

4th highest speed in defence - 8.7km/hr. This was important to me as there was a noticeable shift in his intensity and two way running compared to earlier rounds. I wonder if he got a rocket during the week.

Agree JD, as always he flies under the radar however when I trawled through the stats after the dust had settled I realised what an amazing shift he put in.

jeemak
23-04-2023, 11:54 PM
There were a couple of kicks forward that Jacko did out of clearances that penetrated that told me he was back on.

By the end of the season he'll be AA or at least in contention for it again. He's amazing.

bornadog
24-04-2023, 12:15 AM

I gave him a vote due to his record clearance work

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FuSW_0BacAAwihr?format=jpg&name=medium

DISHLICKERS
24-04-2023, 02:25 PM
One of many pleasing things from Friday nights game was that we seemed to step up intensity when Freo looked like going on a consecutive goal rampage.

Felt the side responded for that not to happen which has been an issue in the past.

bornadog
24-04-2023, 03:10 PM
Looking at quarter by quarter stats, Treloar had 3 disposals in the first quarter and then finished the game with 35.

Grantysghost
24-04-2023, 05:45 PM
Aflca votes :

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs
10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Adam Treloar (WB)
6 Bailey Williams (WB)
5 Jack Macrae (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Aaron Naughton (WB)

LEADERBOARD
35 Nick Daicos (COLL)
33 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
33 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)
28 Jack Sinclair (STK)
24 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
24 Chad Warner (SYD)
24 Callum Wilkie (STK)
23 Tim Kelly (WCE)
22 Christian Petracca (MELB)
21 Luke Davies-Uniacke (NMFC)
21 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
20 Charlie Cameron (BL)
20 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
20 Zach Merrett (ESS)
20 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
20 Caleb Serong (FRE)
19 Toby Greene (GWS)
19 Rory Laird (ADEL)
19 Darcy Parish (ESS)
18 Charlie Curnow (CARL)

westdog54
24-04-2023, 09:27 PM
Aflca votes :

Fremantle v Western Bulldogs
10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
7 Adam Treloar (WB)
6 Bailey Williams (WB)
5 Jack Macrae (WB)
1 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Aaron Naughton (WB)

So the breakdown would be
Bont 5 and 5
Ads 4 and 3
Bailey 4 and 2
Jack 3 and 2
Liam and Astro 1 each.

Seems the coaches agree with WOOFers that Bont, Ads and Truck were a clear 1-2-3 if the player award thread is anything to go by.

Dogs 24/7
24-04-2023, 09:35 PM
So the breakdown would be
Bont 5 and 5
Ads 4 and 3
Bailey 4 and 2
Jack 3 and 2
Liam and Astro 1 each.

Seems the coaches agree with WOOFers that Bont, Ads and Truck were a clear 1-2-3 if the player award thread is anything to go by.

Tim and Libba just a bit unlucky and I feel like Jones was undervalued.

azabob
24-04-2023, 09:41 PM
Tim and Libba just a bit unlucky and I feel like Jones was undervalued.

I thought Darcy was pretty good but English took the honours.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2023, 07:45 AM
5 posts above:

i gave him a vote due to his record clearance work

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/fusw_0bacaawihr?format=jpg&name=medium

14 - March’s Bontempelli (R.8. 2023)