PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Port Adelaide R13 2023 Fri 9/6, 7:50PM - Marvel Stadium

Pages : 1 [2]

whythelongface
09-06-2023, 10:27 PM
He could stop with backman guarding space and start picking up players. The same every week.
The definition of stupid, doing the same thing every week and expecting a different result.

But is that really the problem? The problem is more the class differences in the mids and our inability to convert our inside 50s

BornInDroopSt'54
09-06-2023, 10:28 PM
You forgot Naughton getting pantsed too

Aliir is awesome and I wanted him with us.

angelopetraglia
Seriously. Did Bruce just play the worst game in our colours when it comes to gifting goals in our history? I have seen a lot of games and have not seen many worse. Has to be right up there. What a ‘mare he had. They started kicking it to whether he was.

EasternWest
That's kind of my point. We can't play much better but we still are clearly not good enough.

It's time to rebuild and I don't want Bevo leading it.

Fair enough.

I'd argue we don't need to play much better, we just need to play as well as often.

EasternWest
09-06-2023, 10:29 PM
Aliir is awesome and I wanted him with us.

Me too I'm a big fan.

The Bulldogs Bite
You must be angry, c'mon!

Haha I was last week. I'm not tonight, I just want a new path. Our club is stale.

G-Mo77
How did it get to this?

BornInDroopSt'54
09-06-2023, 10:30 PM
I feel bitter towards Butters v Liberatore.
Wrong person victorious.

JanLorMill
Bruce or Gardner is much of a muchness.

whythelongface
That's kind of my point. We can't play much better but we still are clearly not good enough.

Why not? Port would’ve said the same thing about Hinkley and look at them now. Apart from Hardwick there are no other coaches to take us forward

jeemak
That was so frustrating.

The first half was all about us giving it to them, and then a few times in the second we did it and they really made us pay.

I'm still not going to get over the Weightman disallowed goal. What a **** that flat-top haired **** umpire is. He was pathetic.

Anyway, Port are in amazing form. Better get rid of our coach I guess.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 10:31 PM
Their three talls kicked 8 goals. We can’t defend.

JanLorMill
09-06-2023, 10:32 PM
We play ok and port are very good but it’s the realisation that we ain’t challenging this year and have a number of aging and poor quality players. Something has to change.

jeemak
09-06-2023, 10:33 PM

We can definitely play better.

We can take our early chances, and we can stop giving up the chances we give to them.

I'm all about the endeavour for the most part, but this ****ing team can't chew bubble gum and walk at the same time because the players take the piss.

Put in, have shit skills. Kick straight, but don't man up. Be aggressive, but toe poke it. Hit targets, but go too offencive at centre bounces. It's never ending.

They're lunatics.

GVGjr
09-06-2023, 10:34 PM
That goal by JHF was the heart breaker. Impressive footballer.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-06-2023, 10:34 PM
Smads'll tell us tomorrow I hope on whether Busslinger the Slinger is ready.
Great VFL side tomorrow; wish it was v Pies, Hawks or Dees.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 10:36 PM
Take nothing away from Port. I thought they were amazing how they spread from stoppage, in particular after half time. They were just too good. They ran hard in waves and we could not go with them. Their midfield talent with JHF, Butters. Rozee, Boak and Wines was just better and tougher than ours when it really mattered. They also went to work and looked at how we lost the last two weeks. They went fast and direct through the middle when they burst or got a turnover and torched us again out the back. Our defenders can’t defend against that fast moving ball like the best teams can. Every time they got that break out the back, it was an automatic goal every time. We also failed to defend the high ball into our backline too.

To win we had to be efficient and take our chances but we couldn’t.

EasternWest
09-06-2023, 10:37 PM

A fair bit of peak Stringer about it and him too.

jeemak
09-06-2023, 10:39 PM

He was quick to turn inside, and moved fast while low.

Hotdog60
09-06-2023, 10:41 PM
That free on the goal line was the momentum killer I think that just sapped any energy the players had left.
The should rock to the Boss umpire with 15000 examples of how that gets let go every week and ask for a please explain.

whythelongface
09-06-2023, 10:41 PM
. The way Butters and Rozee dominate the midfield and use the corridor makes it hard to defend. We just seem to use wings as our preferred passage forward which means their defence is able to reset and not have many one on one contests.

Wish we would back our selves in and go the direct route.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-06-2023, 10:43 PM
Perhaps the Horne Francis previous booing was cos he is a gun but shut up shop at North (whom I admire for reverting to their pride in their original name as their founding that of their founding location).

G-Mo77
09-06-2023, 10:45 PM
That free on the goal line was the momentum killer I think that just sapped any energy the players had left.
The should rock to the Boss umpire with 15000 examples of how that gets let go every week and ask for a please explain.

Doubt the result would have been different. We're just not good enough. Don't have a decent 22 to compete with the better teams, poor team selections and poorly coached. It's time, the rest of the league has passed us by, we need to make big changes.

jazzadogs
09-06-2023, 10:46 PM
Jeemak I'm right there with you - I think goalline blocks should be paid every time. But they're not. So why did he decide THAT was the one time in the last 30 years to pay it? Pretty sure that goal would have made it 8 points.

Down the other end, Rioli holds Duryea, JHF kicks an incredible goal and it's basically game over.

Overall - good game. We matched the best form team of the comp for most of the night. That's the level we are at, but it doesn't take much to lift from here. The bye will be helpful.

jazzadogs
09-06-2023, 10:46 PM
Also Butters is an excellent player, but every second contest he was shoving someone's face into the ground. Weak as piss.

merantau
09-06-2023, 10:50 PM
Port are a good side. We weren't too far off the pace. The free kick against Baker was criminal. They were also gifted a goal inthe last when Rioli dragged down our defender in a marking contest.
We need to stop turning the ball over. O'Donnell has had a taste. Time to play Buku or Cleary now.

jeemak
09-06-2023, 10:53 PM
Also Butters is an excellent player, but every second contest he was shoving someone's face into the ground. Weak as piss.

He should have been penalised more than the one time he was. He's a real little shit, but I'm glad he's going to shit the bed in finals like the rest of his pathetic club will.

jeemak
09-06-2023, 10:54 PM
Jeemak I'm right there with you - I think goalline blocks should be paid every time. But they're not. So why did he decide THAT was the one time in the last 30 years to pay it? Pretty sure that goal would have made it 8 points.

Down the other end, Rioli holds Duryea, JHF kicks an incredible goal and it's basically game over.

Overall - good game. We matched the best form team of the comp for most of the night. That's the level we are at, but it doesn't take much to lift from here. The bye will be helpful.

I forgot about that bit! Amazing that wasn't paid.....well not amazing, completely predictable it wasn't. Umpiring was ****ed all night.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2023, 10:55 PM
Why not? Port would?ve said the same thing about Hinkley and look at them now. Apart from Hardwick there are no other coaches to take us forward

It's a good counterpoint.

I just don't think he's evolved. We play the same way and make the same mistakes we've always made. The players share the blame and I'd cut into the list deeply and rebuild it, but I don't have the confidence that Bevo is a good enough tactical coach.

Our mid/forward connection has been poor for years. Conversion has been poor for years. Defending has largely been a problem save for a couple of years, particularly with transition/goals out the back. Our skills haven't improved. Strange selections continue.

This isn't a post in frustration. I'm not even frustrated at tonight, it's worse - a dull realisation we are not a contender or anywhere close to it.

macca
09-06-2023, 10:57 PM
Hit outs Lycett 41, English 17, Lobb 7 whilst Sweet is never given a chance.

English is not a ruckman when up against a proper ruck.

kruder
09-06-2023, 10:58 PM
Nights like these are why the losses against gettable opposition over the last two weeks hurt you so much.

Rocket Science
09-06-2023, 10:59 PM
I'd find it much easier to fume about Lobb if he wasn't performing exactly as expected.

jeemak
09-06-2023, 11:00 PM
These players are like a baby that doesn't smile. Joyless, shit everywhere, cry and sook, eat selfishly or don't eat at all, but don't give off the odd giggle to make it all worthwhile.

G-Mo77
09-06-2023, 11:02 PM
These players are like a baby that doesn't smile. Joyless, shit everywhere, cry and sook, eat selfishly or don't eat at all, but don't give off the odd giggle to make it all worthwhile.

Hahahahaha. Thanks man, needed that. :D

JanLorMill
09-06-2023, 11:04 PM
Sorry

Mantis
09-06-2023, 11:07 PM
Port are a really good side, and there spread from the contest is as good as I’ve seen this year… well against us anyway because I watch **** all footy these days, but **** we’re frustrating!

We are only a little off the pace, but it’s impossible to see us bridge the gap with the current squad… it’s sad.

Grantysghost
09-06-2023, 11:10 PM
I'd find it much easier to fume about Lobb if he wasn't performing exactly as expected.

He's the softest big guy in town. Just doesn't use his size to advantage at all.

Looking like an abject failure.

I'm in two minds about this game. Feel like we've given it a fair crack over the last 3 games but really haven't felt like we were going to win any of them.

Ageing senior core, topped up with guys as we thought we were top 4....

Thing is I think we played pretty well, we just aren't good enough when it matters.

How good was the smother on Bont's kick that pretty much killed our momentum.

Aliir is amazing. Butters, JHF and Rozee a pleasure to watch.

What's the story with Naughton? Looks lost.

I guess the question I'm asking of this team is can they consistently be better than this? If we thought we were top 4 pre season where has it gone pear shaped?

Enjoyed the game however I've walked away thinking this group had probably fired it's best shot.

GVGjr
09-06-2023, 11:13 PM
Is Lobb the tallest short player to have ever played the game?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2023, 11:15 PM
Is Lobb the tallest short player to have ever played the game?

I'm surprised how poor his marking is. I knew he wasn't a contested beast, but I thought he was better than this.

Grantysghost
09-06-2023, 11:18 PM
I'm surprised how poor his marking is. I knew he wasn't a contested beast, but I thought he was better than this.

His attack in the air is really timid.

Eastdog
09-06-2023, 11:20 PM
Jus got home now.

Once again the same sort of things let us down. Win a lot of the stats but our execution use of the footy is very poor. Our inside 50 efficiency is I reckon one of the worst in the comp.

Prince Imperial told me at the game that how we are coached needs to be questioned.

Port are a tough side to play right now and I wouldn't want to be playing them again over in Adelaide in a final.

We are a top 8 side at this moment in time and not a top 4 side.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:20 PM
How many crucial umpire decisions when against us tonight?

Allir Allir. Stone cold holding the ball outside the goal square. No free.

Baker sheperding on the line. When is that ever played?

Rioli blatantly holding Doc and pulling him to the ground when JHF kicked his amazing goal. No free.

Finlayson free kick in the marking contest in the last quarter. If that is a free. Then Naughton should have got 10 free kicks tonight.

Dixon crashing packs a few times with blatant push in the backs that were not paid. One that led to a goal in the last quarter.

I was a long way away from it. But they were hot on push in the back all night. Was that a free kick to Marra for in the back in the last quarter?

In big moments when it mattered I thought the umps had a 'mare.

GVGjr
09-06-2023, 11:22 PM

It's like he's expecting a serious whack. He's got all the physical tools to dominate games but until he displays a more envigorated attitude we are going to have to accept below average input from him.

Mantis
09-06-2023, 11:24 PM
How many crucial umpire decisions when against us tonight?

Allir Allir. Stone cold holding the ball outside the goal square. No free.

Baker sheperding on the line. When is that ever played?

Rioli blatantly holding Doc and pulling him to the ground when JHF kicked his amazing goal. No free.

Finlayson free kick in the marking contest in the last quarter. If that is a free. Then Naughton should have got 10 free kicks tonight.

Dixon crashing packs a few times with blatant push in the backs that were not paid. One that led to a goal in the last quarter.

I was a long way away from it. But they were hot on push in the back all night. Was that a free kick to Marra for in the back in the last quarter?

In big moments when it mattered I thought the umps had a 'mare.

We didn’t get the rub of the green, but in the big moments they executed, and we didn’t… and that’s why we lost.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:29 PM
We didn’t get the rub of the green, but in the big moments they executed, and we didn’t… and that’s why we lost.

Don't disagree with that. I do really think the umps have put us to the sword in the last two weeks, even subconsciously after the Weightman dive against the Suns that caused a fellow umpire to get dropped. We have got the wrong side of the calls two weeks in a row.

But sliding doors. Who knows. That goal line reversal was outrageous. That would have made it eight points with five minutes to play. It went straight down the other end and they killed the game off.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:33 PM
I thought we lost the game in the first quarter and the third quarter. For different reasons.

The first quarter we were dominating inside 50s, not taking our chances and they were getting easy goals out the back, kicking everything and Bruce had some incredibly bad moments. We had more ball, more inside 50s and more shots on goal and we lost the quarter 4.5 to 6.1. We let them kick six goals from limited chances. It was Deja Vu of how we played against Geelong.

In the third quarter. They had the ascendancy and really could have ended the game if they kicked straight. They kicked 4.4 to our 2.0. They dominated us for large stretches. We held the at bay for a long time but the damn wall bust open and we allowed them multiple goals. Three goals in five minutes for them to gap us. (When we played them last time, they did the same thing but in the last quarter. They kicked three goals in five minutes too.) When we had similar periods of dominance we could not kick goals.

Eastdog
09-06-2023, 11:39 PM
The umpiring was very poor tonight. That free kick gave them the momentum.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:42 PM
Arty Jones played 68% of the game. He had zero touches. He did not touch the ball. Difficult to believe that you can't register a single possession. He also lost or didn't even impact a number of 50/50 contests. Also, how many times did they just walk the ball our of our D50. You just can't play him next week.

jeemak
09-06-2023, 11:43 PM
Don't disagree with that. I do really think the umps have put us to the sword in the last two weeks, even subconsciously after the Weightman dive against the Suns that caused a fellow umpire to get dropped. We have got the wrong side of the calls two weeks in a row.

But sliding doors. Who knows. That goal line reversal was outrageous. That would have made it eight points with five minutes to play. It went straight down the other end and they killed the game off.

I still can't believe that one against Baker. It's beyond belief that something like that gets called.

Momentum killer, and at eight points we're a chance.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:44 PM
The umpiring was very poor tonight. That free kick gave them the momentum.

Horrific. Two weeks in a row. I blame the Weightman flop against the Suns.

SonofScray
09-06-2023, 11:46 PM
We really lack any real, meaningful physicality in our game and it makes my blood boil because that should be a trademark of all Footscray sides, mens, womens, one’s and twos.

We just don’t give ourselves a real chance. There’s the same issues that have killed us when push comes to shove every week.

Bullied physically, like we were in those GWS finals. Collapse in game like we have in finals v Demons and Freo. No economy with the ball, only to see other teams pepper the goals with fewer opportunities. It’s all stuff we’ve seen before and keep seeing.

We never looked like we were going to get our noses in front.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:46 PM
Also on the umps. How did English get called for a knee up in the ruck at the centre bounce that led to a direct goal to them from that free kick. Lycett did that to English all night. Knee up into him all night. Zero free kicks against Lycett. Enlgish does it once and it costs us a goal.

How? Seriously. So many head scratches tonight. In a tight game how many 50/50 or just blatantly wrong calls led to there goals versus the other way. Umps had a 'mare.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:52 PM
Just watched the highlights. The goal from the Bont smother. The JHF "Stringer moment". That hold by Rioli was as blatant as thought it was watching live a the ground. How do four umps miss that. The standard of umpiring is putrid. He his holding onto his arm and pulls him to the ground. It was an eight point ball game. He pulls Doc out of the contest. Seriously.

anfo27
09-06-2023, 11:55 PM
I just hate the style of football we play. It's boring! Poor crowd tonight because our own members don't want to watch us.

There were so many players you could of chosen to be subbed out for Baker. Bruce had a shocker. He does ok as a defender but this happens often, he has no clue what to do with the ball when he has it. Arty is cooked, needs a spell. I just see too many players playing poorly in a boring system they don't want to play in.

Have to say I'm tired of seeing Naughts getting beaten every week. This year it seems he not only gets beaten but his opponent has a big influence. In time i'd like to see him go back & Darcy replace him up there.

Port were good to watch. They take the game on, they go through the corridor & the players look like they are enjoying playing that way.

Bevo needs to change! Hinkley has done it. Yeah he hasn't won anything yet but geez they're good to watch. We're better defensively this year but Bevo still going with that half forward pushing into the midfield trick. Its crap. Works well against crap teams but good teams just turn up the heat in the contest & that rushed kick gets marked by the spare man. Come on Bevo! change something!

I just feel we are wasting precious Bont years with crap tactics.

angelopetraglia
09-06-2023, 11:58 PM
First quarter. They kicked 4.0 from set shots. We kicked 2.4 from set shots.

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 12:03 AM
Bevo "In the last three weeks the games have swung with decision and skill at times. Ours has been marginal. It has hurt us. The series of games that we won were tight. We just did enough right to win. We had improved significantly in our defensive action and our team defence and that over the last three weeks we have been challenged and we wore it. It means we are just below the upper rung at the moment. You can improve in this game in a short period of time. I believe in our guys and we can find those increments."

I thought Bevo's analysis was spot on where we actually lost the game.

Danjul
10-06-2023, 12:14 AM
The this goes directly to the stubbornness of Bevo. Stuffs around with a side full of half back flankers but will not go with a tap ruckman

Go figure!
We cannot possibly put Sweet in that team. It would have meant English shutting down Aliir, and allowing Naughton back into the game but losing the joy of watching JOD butchering the ball or Arty occasionally getting near it.

That is another loss which was the result of careful planning.

jeemak
10-06-2023, 12:16 AM
Bevo "In the last three weeks the games have swung with decision and skill at times. Ours has been marginal. It has hurt us. The series of games that we won were tight. We just did enough right to win. We had improved significantly in our defensive action and our team defence and that over the last three weeks we have been challenged and we wore it. It means we are just below the upper rung at the moment. You can improve in this game in a short period of time. I believe in our guys and we can find those increments."

I thought Bevo's analysis was spot on where we actually lost the game.

You usually just have to listen to him to know what's going on with the side. Outside of the odd brain fade like the Tom Stewart comment last week, his pressers are usually straight down the line.

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 12:17 AM
One positive out of tonight. Vanda. He was very good across HB. Used his pace. Did a lot right.

But it did highlight to me how much easier it is in the modern game to play HB compared to HF. HF is one of the hardest positions on the ground to play. The teams who have absolute class in this area of the ground who put on a lot of pressure, are selfless and can also hurt you when it matters are worth their weight in gold.

jeemak
10-06-2023, 01:02 AM
Bailey Williams interests me at the moment. He's become central to our successes in a lot of ways. If he's just that little bit cleaner and finishes off his work more consistently then we're such a better side. And it's all upstairs for him, more than it is for anyone else. He's the most naturally talented player with ball in hand that we have in the side outside of Caleb Daniel. If his concentration almost matched his talent he'd be All Australian quality. He's that good.

But he has demons he either battles constantly, or completely ignores. They get into his thinking, they blur his ability to match a decision with his talent. We've seen what happens when they don't, he dominates. We need him to sort his shit out.

Generally speaking we have been less assertive between our defencive fifty and halfway these past few weeks and it's done two things, put us under defencive pressure and robbed us of offencive impetus. I reckon it has a bit to do with Dale being out of touch to an extent, but nobody has the memories of dominating that part of the ground like JJ and Richards do, and this means those playing back there recently aren't as confident and get caught in no-mans land, leaving the corridor open and talls exposed.

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 01:08 AM
Agree. I don’t think it’s a coincidence we have lost three close contests after we lost JJ. He was giving us genuine run, carry and penetration off half back. Our ball movement hasn’t looked the same in the last three weeks.

SonofScray
10-06-2023, 01:12 AM
Agree. I don’t think it’s a coincidence we have lost three close contests after we lost JJ. He was giving us genuine run, carry and penetration off half back. Our ball movement hasn’t looked the same in the last three weeks.

His run of form was a real lynch pin. Freed up Richards, Dale and Williams. Backline has struggled to adjust.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2023, 06:40 AM
Better side won. More dare and speed with their ball movement, better forward entries and set up their defence so their keys could influence the game a lot better than we did. Umpires made some bad blunders both ways - a few pivotal ones against us that perhaps stand out more.

Not worried about hit outs, we crushed clearances.

Poor goal kicking again from some.

JOD will get a spell I expect, the pressure was up this week and his disposal suffered.

VDM has a future in the back half.

West is such a nearly player. Does some good things, does some bad. The goal was great.

Marra is such an improved contributor. Gosh he’s strong on the lead and overhead. He overcame his goal kicking demons last night too.

Keath - please just take 8 steps back immediately every time you mark it

Bruce - looked at sea and ball use not great. Don’t think we swap him straight out but he needs to improve on that performance quickly.

Bont / Libba / Macrae Treloar - consistent.

We’re missing a young midfield tier like Port has. Maybe that’s this draft? Means they’re 5 years off then…

chef
10-06-2023, 07:35 AM
What was the crowd number?

Looked pretty small.

JanLorMill
10-06-2023, 07:35 AM
One positive out of tonight. Vanda. He was very good across HB. Used his pace. Did a lot right.

But it did highlight to me how much easier it is in the modern game to play HB compared to HF. HF is one of the hardest positions on the ground to play. The teams who have absolute class in this area of the ground who put on a lot of pressure, are selfless and can also hurt you when it matters are worth their weight in gold.
You think so? To me he was poor. Run rarely seen, missed a chance, kicking nothing special and beaten one on one.

Hotdog60
10-06-2023, 08:24 AM
I think we need to get into Cyril Rioli ear over the summer and ask him if he wouldn't mind coming to the club to do some specialist training with Jones, Weightman and Clarke or send them to him if his in NT for a 3 or 4 week block to teach them the art of a small forward.
I think Arty could be a similar player to Rioli and Cyril has the status the players would listen to.

whythelongface
10-06-2023, 08:35 AM
We cannot possibly put Sweet in that team. It would have meant English shutting down Aliir, and allowing Naughton back into the game but losing the joy of watching JOD butchering the ball or Arty occasionally getting near it.

That is another loss which was the result of careful planning.

I get the Sweet argument and would even like to try it but the problem is we then have:

a) a ruck that is a liability around the ground and
b) a ruck that can?t actually ruck but is (mostly)exceptional around the ground

In effect we have one awesome player in two bodies. Question is can we have both in the team. It would mean dropping one of our tall defenders moving Naughton back and using English predominantly as a forward.

lemmon
10-06-2023, 08:43 AM
One other thing I noticed about this Port side is how aggressive they are across the board. They really flew into tackles and tried to get into us around the ground - particularly Libba.

We obviously hate it and I thought the umps missed heaps, but you'd love to see that as a Port supporter. Think Hinkley has really built their confidence over the last few months of footy and they're walking on air at the moment - you could even see that in Hinkley's little s**t-eating grin when he wandered around like a Roman emperor after the game.

Not saying that with bitterness either - fair play to them and they're a bloody good side - I'd be lapping it up if I was a Port fan.

whythelongface
10-06-2023, 08:45 AM
I just hate the style of football we play. It's boring! Poor crowd tonight because our own members don't want to watch us.

There were so many players you could of chosen to be subbed out for Baker. Bruce had a shocker. He does ok as a defender but this happens often, he has no clue what to do with the ball when he has it. Arty is cooked, needs a spell. I just see too many players playing poorly in a boring system they don't want to play in.

Have to say I'm tired of seeing Naughts getting beaten every week. This year it seems he not only gets beaten but his opponent has a big influence. In time i'd like to see him go back & Darcy replace him up there.

Port were good to watch. They take the game on, they go through the corridor & the players look like they are enjoying playing that way.

Bevo needs to change! Hinkley has done it. Yeah he hasn't won anything yet but geez they're good to watch. We're better defensively this year but Bevo still going with that half forward pushing into the midfield trick. Its crap. Works well against crap teams but good teams just turn up the heat in the contest & that rushed kick gets marked by the spare man. Come on Bevo! change something!

I just feel we are wasting precious Bont years with crap tactics.

I understand what you are saying. Port do play an exciting brand of football, like the Pies, and our game just doesn?t stack up. I can?t agree that it is boring - last night?s game was exciting and there were two contributors to this. Agree that I would like us to take on the game more similar to when we had the upper hand in parts of the last quarter - slick handballs to slice through the opponents defence. Problem is when we do use the corridor we often turn it over and this leads to a number of goals (our main turnover issue).

whythelongface
10-06-2023, 08:46 AM
One other thing I noticed about this Port side is how aggressive they are across the board. They really flew into tackles and tried to get into us around the ground - particularly Libba.

We obviously hate it and I thought the umps missed heaps, but you'd love to see that as a Port supporter. Think Hinkley has really built their confidence over the last few months of footy and they're walking on air at the moment - you could even see that in Hinkley's little s**t-eating grin when he wandered around like a Roman emperor after the game.

Not saying that with bitterness either - fair play to them and they're a bloody good side - you'd be lapping it up as a Port fan.

Reminds me of us September 2016.

EasternWest
10-06-2023, 08:47 AM
You think so? To me he was poor. Run rarely seen, missed a chance, kicking nothing special and beaten one on one.

Agree with this. Although he definitely used his pace when he was late to a marking contest and instead of pulling up and getting on the mark he overcommitted on the "spoil" and ran right past the contest, allowing them to run straight up the corridor for a goal.

I don't hate his attributes, but I find him totally brainless as a player.

azabob
10-06-2023, 09:02 AM
We?re missing a young midfield tier like Port has. Maybe that?s this draft? Means they?re 5 years off then?

This is the downside to having to genuine potential stars as father son and NGA. You don?t get to hit the draft.

I fear with Croft rising up the draft board ranks we could be locked out again. Definitely need to consider how much we are willing to pay for Croft V list management.

Grantysghost
10-06-2023, 09:04 AM
What was the crowd number?

Looked pretty small.
23k.

Danjul
10-06-2023, 09:06 AM
I get the Sweet argument and would even like to try it but the problem is we then have:

a) a ruck that is a liability around the ground and
b) a ruck that can?t actually ruck but is (mostly)exceptional around the ground

In effect we have one awesome player in two bodies. Question is can we have both in the team. It would mean dropping one of our tall defenders moving Naughton back and using English predominantly as a forward.

I have watched players get 0, 1, 2, 3 possessions in a whole game and nobody on the selection panel has seen them as a liability. They have contributed nothing in those games and are carried by the rest of the team.

It is impossible for Sweet to be worse.

It doesn?t mean English not rucking. He would dominate the second ruck and take pressure off Naughton.

It would allow changes in tactics during the game. English having a poor game, no worries, make a change. Naughton having a poor game, no worries, make a change. At the moment any opposition success simply continues unaddressed for the whole game.

After selecting JOD for the three consecutive losses and Jones having 3 reasonable games in ten, it is mind blowing to see any criticism of what Sweet might do.

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 09:19 AM
I have watched players get 0, 1, 2, 3 possessions in a whole game and nobody on the selection panel has seen them as a liability. They have contributed nothing in those games and are carried by the rest of the team.

It doesn?t mean English not rucking. He would dominate the second ruck and take pressure off Naughton.

It would allow changes in tactics during the game. English having a poor game, no worries, make a change. Naughton having a poor game, no worries, make a change. At the moment any opposition success simply continues unaddressed for the whole game.

After selecting JOD for the three consecutive losses and Jones having 3 reasonable games in ten, it is mind blowing to see any criticism of what Sweet might do.

It is a valid point. But it is a moot point.

Why? There are certain types of players Bevo has shown during his reign that he just refuses to play. That includes immobile big guys. If you can't move you won't get a game.

On the other hand. He will persist with athletic players who can cover the ground like JOD, Vanda and Arty. Even if they hardly touch the Sherrin.

whythelongface
10-06-2023, 09:23 AM

Again I get what you are saying but it is hard to hide as a ruckman and if you are effectively contributing little around the ground it renders you useless. Problem with Sweet is that at the VFL level he has little presence except in the ruck contest. Regardless would be happy to give it a try in the Seniors.

whythelongface
10-06-2023, 09:26 AM
23k.

Where was everyone? Heading to the ski fields?

Mantis
10-06-2023, 09:30 AM

Why would you want to go?

The stadium is in a state of disrepair with little food outlets open, and what is served up is overpriced junk… with the cost of living spiralling out of control lots of people are finding better ways to spend their money.

macca
10-06-2023, 09:36 AM
It is a valid point. But it is a moot point.

Why? There are certain types of players Bevo has shown during his reign that he just refuses to play. That includes immobile big guys. If you can't move you won't get a game.

On the other hand. He will persist with athletic players who can cover the ground like JOD, Vanda and Arty. Even if they hardly touch the Sherrin.
Brilliant observation. I am kinda getting worried that the MC prefrencing the athletic and versatile types ( who fit the block the space game plan ) vs natural footballers. Probably one of the reason Minson career faded out
Its clrealy not working and the footy skills are not there at the moment especially when under pressure, when instincts and natural technique kicks in.

We have too many almost can be footballers

Why cant we play to our list strengths ?

jazzadogs
10-06-2023, 09:42 AM
Why would you want to go?

The stadium is in a state of disrepair with little food outlets open, and what is served up is overpriced junk… with the cost of living spiralling out of control lots of people are finding better ways to spend their money.

With a young baby I've only been to two games this year, and I couldn't believe the state of Marvel. One parents room for the entire stadium because half of it is a building site, and not a single member of staff could tell us where that actually was. If you had a seat on the 'construction' side then good luck getting food/drinks.

The match day experience is pretty horrible at the moment.

BUT I thought last night was an excellent game of football and don't agree with previous poster that we are boring. It was a high quality game with skill and intensity. I think Bevo nailed it in his analysis - we had chances but didn't execute effectively when we needed to.

JanLorMill
10-06-2023, 09:45 AM
To me watching us miss easy shots and easy targets is boring now. Gone past the frustrated stage.

Grantysghost
10-06-2023, 09:46 AM
With a young baby I've only been to two games this year, and I couldn't believe the state of Marvel. One parents room for the entire stadium because half of it is a building site, and not a single member of staff could tell us where that actually was. If you had a seat on the 'construction' side then good luck getting food/drinks.

BUT I thought last night was an excellent game of football and don't agree with previous poster that we are boring. It was a high quality game with skill and intensity. I think Bevo nailed it in his analysis - we had chances but didn't execute effectively when we needed to.

I finished work late, and I had that do I don't I moment. Luckily when I checked the traffic it was ok as that could've been the killer.

The ground is very poor at the moment.

JanLorMill
10-06-2023, 09:51 AM
The ground is very poor at the moment.
It been like that for over a year now. 2nd level city side few toilets, few outlets, construction sites and then the outside of the building too.
They spent all the money on useless light shows and blasting everyone with inane pre game and mid game entertainment

azabob
10-06-2023, 10:11 AM
It been like that for over a year now. 2nd level city side few toilets, few outlets, construction sites and then the outside of the building too.
They spent all the money on useless light shows and blasting everyone with inane pre game and mid game entertainment

I stupidly assumed that it would be all completed by start of this season. I’m not sure if any progress was actually made during 2022 and 2023.

The bulldog tragician
10-06-2023, 10:12 AM
It was a strange match on reflection.

On one hand I felt it showed us we are a tier below Port, that their ball movement and skills were way above ours.

On the other hand we so easily could have won. Two goals more or less directly ceded by a James O’Donnell ( we’re actually not doing the poor kid a favour by playing him too early), Bruce having a nightmare, and THAT free on the goal line.

Speaking of the free, there is a twitter account called Has the ump stuffed up - run by a former umpire - which reviews decisions and says it was clearly wrong..the ball had crossed the line when Baker made contact.

I don’t know if we would have had the composure to win if it had not been paid, they always seemed to have something up their sleeve, but it’s funny to think we had a lot not going right on the night and would have been just 8 points down with momentum on our side.

GVGjr
10-06-2023, 10:39 AM

I know this is a minor issue in the whole scheme of things especially when compared to your match day experience but the failure to complete the renovation of two coterie rooms is going to take 12 months longer than the original estimate. 3 coterie groups are crammed into smaller rooms with diminishing value for their memberships.
It goes to prove that all these works around the state don't really consider the impact to the people impacted by all these delays.

GVGjr
10-06-2023, 10:46 AM

There is a distinction between the match day entertainment and the work on the refurbishment of the venue. You would hope the club and the AFL understand that this refurbishment is clearly impacting the match day experience for a lot of fans. Basic amenities shouldn't have been diminished.

For some reason they think the lighting displays is improving the match day experience and I think they've got that wrong.

Sedat
10-06-2023, 10:58 AM
For some reason they think the lighting displays is improving the match day experience and I think they've got that wrong.
It was my first game at a Melbourne venue (been to Ballarat a couple of times) since the 2016 GF last night and I don't miss whatever constitutes the live match day "experience" at all. Insane over the top lighting, ear-splitting PA announcements ad nauseum, going to the footy is not a pleasurable experience for mine.

The game itself was entertaining but it is so obvious watching it live that our connection from midfield into F50 is a mess compared to our opponents. And our complete lack of turnover game means we are working so hard for our scores and entries compared to the oppo, who pick us off with relative ease and are off to the races with devastating leg speed (Port) or superior ball movement/retention (Geelong). We have defended off turnover very poorly the last 3 weeks - the effort is clearly there but the system/skill (bit of both) is not at the level required to be a serious contender, which is what we have self-identified that we are.

I have no doubt the coaching group know this and are trying to find a solution. Naughton being so down is hurting us, as is the inability of our crumbing smalls to get to work hard and stay involved.

SonofScray
10-06-2023, 11:09 AM
The Yarraville/Hyde St Band played on the concourse pre game and it was a fantastic piece of match day entertainment, footy adjacent, community based, cultural, historically relevant and it was fun.

There’s a real lack of imagination amongst folk who have a say in the stadium experience and entertainment. If they were brave, innovative and intelligent they’d recognise the opportunities to build culture and identity through these activities. But they’re not. No one in the industry is capable of it.

Grantysghost
10-06-2023, 11:14 AM
It was my first game at a Melbourne venue (been to Ballarat a couple of times) since the 2016 GF last night and I don't miss whatever constitutes the live match day "experience" at all. Insane over the top lighting, ear-splitting PA announcements ad nauseum, going to the footy is not a pleasurable experience for mine.

The game itself was entertaining but it is so obvious watching it live that our connection from midfield into F50 is a mess compared to our opponents. And our complete lack of turnover game means we are working so hard for our scores and entries compared to the oppo, who pick us off with relative ease and are off to the races with devastating leg speed (Port) or superior ball movement/retention (Geelong). We have defended off turnover very poorly the last 3 weeks - the effort is clearly there but the system/skill (bit of both) is not at the level required to be a serious contender, which is what we have self-identified that we are.

I have no doubt the coaching group know this and are trying to find a solution. Naughton being so down is hurting us, as is the inability of our crumbing smalls to get to work hard and stay involved.

Remember when at the breaks you could have a chat?

Now it's kick it in the back of a car for one, Bulldogs question time where the MC calls Doug Hawkins Doug Wade and race the fkn sponsors logo for Crypto.

The game is enough. A break is what it's says it is! Give me a break.

The bulldog tragician
10-06-2023, 11:25 AM

Now it's kick it in the back of a car for one, Bulldogs question time where the MC calls Doug Hawkins Doug Wade and race the fkn sponsors logo for Crypto.

Does the club itself have any say over the lights, blaring sound? Is this a Marvel thing? It?s become intolerable.

At 3/4 time it should have been enough for us to be talking about a close game, being amateur experts on how we could win it. I reckon it actually dilutes the atmosphere, lessens the home crowd factor, kills the buzz. When we were on the cusp of greatness at 3/4 time in the 2016 GF did we need an inane race to distract us or keep us engaged? The game is what we?re there for FFS.

Grantysghost
10-06-2023, 11:27 AM
Does the club itself have any say over the lights, blaring sound? Is this a Marvel thing? It?s become intolerable.

At 3/4 time it should have been enough for us to be talking about a close game, being amateur experts on how we could win it. I reckon it actually dilutes the atmosphere, lessens the home crowd factor, kills the buzz. When we were on the cusp of greatness at 3/4 time in the 2016 GF did we need an inane race to distract us or keep us engaged? The game is what we?re there for FFS.

Good q. I'd say they must have some say. All the "engagement" would be us.

Lights sound etc distracting sponsors boards probably AFL.

(I don't mind the lights after a goal).

Curly5
10-06-2023, 12:18 PM

Is that what happens at games now? I'll never attend another game. (I don't go to any now, but that seals it :( )

anfo27
10-06-2023, 01:30 PM
I understand what you are saying. Port do play an exciting brand of football, like the Pies, and our game just doesn?t stack up. I can?t agree that it is boring - last night?s game was exciting and there were two contributors to this. Agree that I would like us to take on the game more similar to when we had the upper hand in parts of the last quarter - slick handballs to slice through the opponents defence. Problem is when we do use the corridor we often turn it over and this leads to a number of goals (our main turnover issue).
I'm not talking about just last night, I'm talking about our style overall and we are boring. Other than the Bont & occasionally libba, everyone else exclusively hits the boundary line. Thats simple, unadventurous, predictable & boring football. Our players have had it drummed into them for so long that boundary line is in their subconscious, so now its their default setting. We get behind in games & we still have players first instinct being boundary line & go back behind the mark when there is nobody on the mark.

For me Bont is different. He is looking to go quick & through the corridor. So either the rest of the playing group are still brainwashed in the old boundary line tactical game & haven't been reprogrammed or the Bont can see the boundary line stuff is crap & using his own natural instincts to do what we need to do.

I don't care about turnovers in the middle if we are taking the game on. We turn the bloody thing over on the wings anyway! The rare times we use the corridor this year we usually get a shot at goal from it. Example first quarter JUH strong mark, dead in front but he missed, that was corridor. You see it a few times a game.

Tactically we have to be better. Against Geelong it always happens where we have that h/f play as an extra mid & Stewart just stays where he is & marks everything. He gets BOG against us alot just based on this.

I was critical of Bevo the frist 2 rounds because defensively we looked worse than last year. That improved, so great! Improve this, cause its BORING!

I don't want to hear we don't have the cattle. Not a single person on the planet would say when Bevo took over we had a premiership list. The talent is there, he needs to get the best out of them & he hasn't done that for 18 months now.

chef
10-06-2023, 01:42 PM
23k.

Thats pretty bad

chef
10-06-2023, 01:43 PM

Im on Hamilton Island so thats my excuse.

GVGjr
10-06-2023, 02:32 PM
Thats pretty bad

Really disappointing considering some attendances at previous games. We want the spotlight games but we aren't necessarily getting our members coming to those games.

azabob
10-06-2023, 02:57 PM

I’m on Vancouver Island that’s my excuse.

Flamethrower
10-06-2023, 03:04 PM
Thats pretty bad

Yet 23K is the Bulldogs' HIGHEST ever attendance figure against Port at Docklands Stadium. Port supporters don't travel in large numbers, and many fans go away for the long weekend.

There isn't much enjoyment watching the Bulldog brand of football at the moment either. Move the ball slowly around the boundary and then kick long to a huge pack in the forward line hoping Marra or Astro will take mark of the century. Then watch the oppo win the crumb and go straight down the middle to an open forward line with a combination of Keath, Gardner, O'Brien, Bruce, Jones or O'Donnell looking like deer in the headlights as we concede yet another easy goal. Rinse and repeat.

And when the miracle mark is taken by Marra or Astro - increase the margin by a point because our conversion in front of goal is historically bad.

Eastdog
10-06-2023, 03:04 PM
Thats pretty bad

In context it?s actually the biggest Dogs vs Power crowd at Marvel. Surpasses 22,691 in 2007.

EasternWest
10-06-2023, 03:13 PM

Send macaroons

I’m on Vancouver Island that’s my excuse.

I'm not interested in the "match day experience" that's my reason.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
10-06-2023, 03:57 PM
They do a nice pina colada at the Reef View

bornadog
10-06-2023, 04:55 PM
Send macaroons

I'm not interested in the "match day experience" that's my reason.

I am in Romania. Back next Sunday. Should I step off the plane and go straight to Marvel?

Hotdog60
10-06-2023, 05:26 PM
I am in Romania. Back next Sunday. Should I step off the plane and go straight to Marvel?

I think you should since it because of you we're losing you can sleep in the stands and wake up to a victory. :)

EasternWest
10-06-2023, 05:29 PM

Bring macaroons.

bornadog
10-06-2023, 05:38 PM
Bring macaroons.
They make pretty good ones in Paris, but Chef’s are better

EasternWest
10-06-2023, 05:49 PM
They make pretty good ones in Paris, but Chef’s are better

I wanna know how you know that.

D Mitchell
10-06-2023, 06:12 PM
Yes but sneak in a flask of Tuica, $14.50 for a thimbleful of Pepperjack, newest sponsor.

Grantysghost
10-06-2023, 06:38 PM

Wtf chef! Pretty sure EW then me in order of Macaroons and eating of them.

bornadog
10-06-2023, 06:44 PM

the taste test

BornInDroopSt'54
10-06-2023, 10:21 PM
It's like he's expecting a serious whack. He's got all the physical tools to dominate games but until he displays a more envigorated attitude we are going to have to accept below average input from him.

Sounds like....big leftie in twos for Dees.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-06-2023, 10:36 PM
It was a strange match on reflection.

On one hand I felt it showed us we are a tier below Port, that their ball movement and skills were way above ours.

On the other hand we so easily could have won. Two goals more or less directly ceded by a James O?Donnell ( we?re actually not doing the poor kid a favour by playing him too early), Bruce having a nightmare, and THAT free on the goal line.

Speaking of the free, there is a twitter account called Has the ump stuffed up - run by a former umpire - which reviews decisions and says it was clearly wrong..the ball had crossed the line when Baker made contact.

I don?t know if we would have had the composure to win if it had not been paid, they always seemed to have something up their sleeve, but it?s funny to think we had a lot not going right on the night and would have been just 8 points down with momentum on our side.

Back in the day you could make legal contact with an opponent with ball within 5 yards/metres.
Must not be the case anymore.

jeemak
11-06-2023, 05:57 AM
Back in the day you could make legal contact with an opponent with ball within 5 yards/metres.
Must not be the case anymore.

You can't shepherd in a marking contest even if it is within five metres, but that wasn't what was happening - so you're right. It won't get called out, but it was completely over the top officiating and completely unnecessary.

Hotdog60
11-06-2023, 08:59 AM
I've seen players physically pulled down to allow the ball go through the goals and its been allowed that call was razor ray like.

Grantysghost
12-06-2023, 06:49 PM
Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
10 Zak Butters (PORT)
8 Tom Liberatore (WB)
5 Scott Lycett (PORT)
3 Travis Boak (PORT)
2 Connor Rozee (PORT)
2 Lachie Jones (PORT)

LEADERBOARD
73 Zak Butters (PORT)
63 Nick Daicos (COLL)
61 Christian Petracca (MELB)
52 Zach Merrett (ESS)
52 Tim Taranto (RICH)
48 Jack Sinclair (STK)
47 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
47 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
47 Toby Greene (GWS)
45 Matt Rowell (GCFC)
45 Connor Rozee (PORT)
44 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
44 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
41 Lachie Neale (BL)
40 Clayton Oliver (MELB)
38 Callum Wilkie (STK)
37 Rory Laird (ADEL)
37 Darcy Moore (COLL)
36 Caleb Serong (FRE)
35 Chad Warner (SYD)

Grantysghost
12-06-2023, 06:50 PM
Bont was first or second before he got injured in that Crows game.

I'd like to rest him however we never do.