PDA

View Full Version : Was that our biggest ever percentage boost?

Twodogs
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
80 percentage points give or take. I'm having trouble remembering a bigger one.

GVGjr
03-04-2008, 03:05 PM

When we touched up the Tigers a couple of years back that must have been a huge turnaround for us.

aker39
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
When we touched up the Tigers a couple of years back that must have been a huge turnaround for us.

That was round 1

GVGjr
03-04-2008, 03:19 PM
That was round 1

Agreed but assuming that you start with something like 100% anyway, the increase would have been enormous. Obviously earlier in the season, the increases can be more substantial.

aker39
03-04-2008, 03:38 PM
Agreed but assuming that you start with something like 100% anyway, the increase would have been enormous. Obviously earlier in the season, the increases can be more substantial.

Am I missing something, I would have thought that every team starts with no %

hujsh
03-04-2008, 03:42 PM
0pts/0ptsX100=0points

westdog54
03-04-2008, 03:47 PM
0pts/0ptsX100=0points

If you want to be really technical, anything divided by 0 is undefined.

LostDoggy
03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
In theory the biggest percentage boost is most likely to happen early during the first game.
Since you can't have a percentage till you and your opposition scores.
For those that think we start with 0% then team x scores numerous points and the opposition then registers a point say. eg 50/1x100 = 5000%
For those that think we start with no percentage it will be some point after the opposition score.eg we score point opposition a point then we score a goal. Percentage is 7/1x100 = from 100 to 700%

If you are talking end of games and starting with no percentage then end of round 2 is most likely as the more games the percentage increases by less as your opposition score therefore you dividing by more each time.

If you want to check it twodogs, I'd look for our biggest round 2 victory over the years.

LostDoggy
03-04-2008, 03:58 PM
That was difficult to write out. I hope you understood.

LostDoggy
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Haha that was great Ernie. Appreciate the effort.

GVGjr
03-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Am I missing something, I would have thought that every team starts with no %

Given that I have never seen a nil all draw and the fact that a negative percentage really cannot be achieved I think the 100% mark as a starting point is more realistic than the zero. The fact that we won by less than a kick in the first round and had an 102% shows it should be a reasonable assumption albeit not purely mathematically correct.

mjp
03-04-2008, 07:15 PM

Isn't our percentage 152 or something? After round 1 it would have been approx 100 - we won by 3 points, and if for = against then %age = 100.

Whilst it was a big jump, it cannot have been by much more than 50%. And when you consider Sydney have actually LOST a game, and their percentage is nearly the = of ours, it isn't really that good. Basically, if you look at the stats from a purely defensive standpoint, we are 7th from points against - too high. It is this that will drag our percentage down during the year (just like in 2005 and 2006) - our dividing number is too high as we still concede too many goals...(though it is early, early days).

On another note, there is one thing that they do right in the entire state of SA - they have the system for calculating percentage right, as it is based on the actual percentage of scoring done in the games you have played, rather than a simple points for/against formula. It does not compromise so heavily against teams such as ours that score heavily but also concede goals when turnovers occur...

Sockeye Salmon
03-04-2008, 10:29 PM
On another note, there is one thing that they do right in the entire state of SA - they have the system for calculating percentage right, as it is based on the actual percentage of scoring done in the games you have played, rather than a simple points for/against formula. It does not compromise so heavily against teams such as ours that score heavily but also concede goals when turnovers occur...

That's bollocks.

They end up with different numbers but the result is always exactly the same.

LostDoggy
04-04-2008, 03:49 PM
They apply your score as a percentage of the total of your score plus the opposition's score.

It gives an entirely different result that in my view is meaningless.

After the first game which we won by 3 points our percentage on this basis would have been of the order of 51%

Go figure that.

Sockeye Salmon
04-04-2008, 03:52 PM
They apply your score as a percentage of the total of your score plus the opposition's score.

It gives an entirely different result that in my view is meaningless.

After the first game which we won by 3 points our percentage on this basis would have been of the order of 51%

Go figure that.

But it doesn't matter.

Our system is based around a centre point of 100. They have a centre point of 50.

If you win by 3 pts, in our system your % will be a touch over 100, in their system it will be a touch over 50.

Only the numbers change, the overall result is exactly the same.

mjp
04-04-2008, 03:58 PM
But it doesn't matter.

Our system is based around a centre point of 100. They have a centre point of 50.

If you win by 3 pts, in our system your % will be a touch over 100, in their system it will be a touch over 50.

Only the numbers change, the overall result is exactly the same.

Perhaps I misunderstand things then.

I understood that as percentage was calculated based on total points scored in each game rather than total for and against for a season, the impact of higher points against totals would be minimised.

Throughandthrough
04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
pfft

the sanfl way of doing % is much easier to understand then AFL way!

Points scored by team over total points scored in match

mjp
04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
pfft

the sanfl way of doing % is much easier to understand then AFL way!

Points scored by team over total points scored in match

Yep...that is what I thought.

bornadog
04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
percentage is calculated as follows:

points for divided by points against, multiplied by 100. Pretty simple.

mjp
04-04-2008, 07:39 PM
percentage is calculated as follows:

points for divided by points against, multiplied by 100. Pretty simple.

No dispute from me on that point. I just hate how important it becomes.