PDA

View Full Version : Flogs & Polishes

The Coon Dog
05-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Bit of license from SEN.

Polishes:

* Fantastic effort after 1/4 time.
* Aker; nailed them at crucial times.
* Mitch, kicking a typical Mitch goal on his left foot.
* Harbrow's bouncing goal, was at an important time.
* Morris & Wight, who never dropped their heads & played important roles.
* Hudson & Minson, both were dominant & had plenty of the ball & used it well.
* Cooney, his workrate was right up there.
* Griff, slashing!
* Hill, great goal & one of the few who did well when we struggled early.
* Murph, presented well, really well.
* Loved the way the players sang Happy Birthday to Rocket.

Flogs:

* Hill; there's a time & a place for mark of the year, just not in the opponents goalsquare when it's tight.
* The umpiring in the first half, particularly the in the back against Aker when he grabbed the shorts.
* Our lowest score for the year!
* The first quarter. Can't give starts like that away too often & win.

hujsh
05-04-2008, 01:05 AM
Polish: we kicked something like 17 to 8 goals after quarter time
Hudson so on top he pulled out ticks like roving to the other ruckman.

Flog: Don't want too many starts that bad

1eyedog
05-04-2008, 01:12 AM
Polish: the team winning easy without Johnno kicking a goal

Flog: Johnno not kicking a goal :D

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 01:17 AM
yeah great win especially considering the first 1/4.............and also johnson with no goals..........and even welsh with only 1

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Polish is that we kicked something like 17 to 8 goals after quarter time

Think the radio guys said 17 - 5 after qtr time, dont know if thats right or not, i still dont even know how much we won by hehe.

Was great to see the doggie fans so dam loud, ive got no voice left, cant imagine what its going to be like in the morning.

But what we need is for all you guys/girls who sit on the wing is to stand up and get your bay and the bays around you to keep doing the bulldogs chant along with the cheersquad, and lets make some more bloody noise, and ang make it a real home ground advantage.

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Polishes : Cam Wight. I've bagged him as have others but his recovery after that first quarter was exceptional. Should of had 3 goals.

Mantis
05-04-2008, 09:25 AM
It was 18 goals to 6 after 1/4 time.

Flogs:

* Umpiring -woeful
* Our start - worse.

Polishes:

* Everyone - Let's hope it has sank in that when we do the 1% er's ie. chase, tackle, harass that we are a damn good side. Hopefully we continue to play like that on a consistent basis.

* Aker - excellent finishing
* Hahn (the tractor) - improved on last week, great stuff.
* Cooney & Griffen - simply awesome....these kids are jets!!!
* Cross & West - worked super hard
* Wilbur - strong game.
* Morris & Wight - stuck to there tasks after 1/4 time...Loved Wight's confidence to take the game on and use his aerobic ability.
* Callan & Addsion - strong committed footy from them too
* Hill - the boy can play
* Harbrow - showed why off a limited prep he is a member of our best 22.

I could go on, but you get the picture... Super win...

Go_Dogs
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Polishes : Cam Wight. I've bagged him as have others but his recovery after that first quarter was exceptional. Should of had 3 goals.

Agreed. His ability and work rate to continue running off his man and presenting as an option was great. He took to a few marks and if he can get his goal kicking sorted looks a viable option up there - or perhaps in the swing man type role. Will be great to have Williams and Everitt back to allow us a bit more flexibility, but yes, Wight was great tonight and again held his nerve very well after taking a bit of a flogging early. Can't underestimate the effect of his mates harder work up the field which really helped him. We started to pressure after Qtr time and it all fell into place.

westdog54
05-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Polish: Whoever's idea it was to bring Hudson, Welsh and Callan to the club.

Flog: Stephen Milne. Prat of the highest order.

Polish: The goal umpire who had the balls to tell Brian to settle down when he was giving Kosi some stick.

katemeehan
05-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Bit of license from SEN.

Flogs:

* Hill; there's a time & a place for mark of the year, just not in the opponents goalsquare when it's tight.

What happened here? Nothing springs to mind...?

Topdog
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
i still dont even know how much we won by hehe.

We won by 38. Believe me I was sweating on us not kicking another goal in the last few minutes.

Mantis
05-04-2008, 01:27 PM

Towards the end of the 3rd qtr Hill tried to take a speccy in St.Kilda's goal square, but in doing so gave a free kick away to Ball which resulted in a goal.

Topdog
05-04-2008, 01:30 PM

3rd quarter. About 5 minutes left. Dogs up by 15 (i think.)

G-train bombs it to the goalsquare from 55m out. Hudson gets a simple punch by himself after Hill jumps all over Saints player and gets no where near the ball. Saints kick easy goal from goalsquare.

katemeehan
05-04-2008, 01:36 PM
oooh yeah I remember that now. Thanks
Was right in front of me and I missed half of it.
Would have been great if it WORKED

bornadog
05-04-2008, 01:43 PM
We won by 38. Believe me I was sweating on us not kicking another goal in the last few minutes.

Polish
yes 37 points down at 1/4 time and win by 38 points

Flog

** Channel Sevens telecast - At the ground the atmosphere was fantastic, on TV little crowd noise, commentators boring, special comments woeful.

** ABC Radio special comments by Parkin and Peter Schwab. Parko, retire please Schwab what a bore and both anti bulldogs. However, nothing wrong with the callers, ie Tim Lane and Gerard. (just heard bits and pieces on the way home, but generally they are great)

(I came home and watched the game again till 1.30 in the morning:D)

ledge
05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Will Minson, did anyone notice the pack mark he took in the forward line and that goal he kicked in the third?
Just one good game can make a hell of a difference.
I think last nights game might have just been the game he needed to kick start his career in a more solid way, Great stuff Will, i think he might have arrived.
The last 2 games he was in position but just not holding them, last night he held one.

westdog54
05-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Polish: Jarrod Harbrow for finding something out of nothing in the final quarter with that rolling rolling rolling goal.

Go_Dogs
05-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Polish: Jarrod Harbrow for finding something out of nothing in the final quarter with that rolling rolling rolling goal.

How did everyone rate Harbrow's game?

Looked a little under-done to me, but still did enough as far as defensive pressure, chasing and providing an option around the ground. Was pleased to see him thrust into the midfield for a while too, and his crumbing work was good. Hill seems to have overtaken him pretty comfortably at this stage, but Harbrow adds another dimension to our side. We instantly looked more dangerous when he can on and sat deep in the forward line waiting for crumbs.

ledge
05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Harbrow had an excellent game considering he was rushed in and needs to adjust with his other players, he isnt a regular but proved he wants to be, i have some real faith in this kid coming on when given the opportunity over a few games in a row, not one here and one there.
Nothing against Eade we just have a good quality of his kind of player.

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Flog:

Umpiring: I know it doesn't matter now and that we won regardless, but Aker's hand's in the 'back' (shorts, if they're the back then I'm lost)...how is he supposed to grab his shorts without touching them? I couldn't believe it and was one of the many booing for a while after...further more it cost us a goal which was just excellent...Also, Mitch Hahn was ripped off in the forward line, should have got a couple of free kicks. I think St Kilda's last goal was a result of a blatant hand in the back non-call on Lake, but when Lake touches Gehrig it's automatically 50m (which is correct, but there was also another free kick he should have got which is perfectly pictured in the HS today). Well, I wasn't impressed...

Commentators: I listened to the highlights of SEN's call and it was so exciting, but when I watched the replay of 7's telecast I was bored out of my mind, I thought our huge comeback warranted a bit of excitement in the box, but apparently not.

Our first quarter: Speaks for itself really.

Polishes:
The whole side, I thought we were excellent after quarter time, our commitment showed and it gives us a lot of belief for any following rounds where we're caught in a bit of trouble early.

Our defenders had no chance early, but they stuck at it and it really helped when our midfielders switched on. If I mention particular players no doubt I'll miss some, but it was credit to all of them that they could cover Johnson who had no impact and even Welsh and Gia who had 1 and 0 respectively...I think. Addison backed up his great performance last week, I was really impressed with his first quarter, he was one of few whose tackles stuck and was also very hard at it for four quarters. Of course they made mistakes, TCD mentioned Hill's, which was really bad, but that'll happen and as long as they make up for it you can let those ones go.

katemeehan
05-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Rolling...rolling...rolling
that goal was great
Was hanging over the fence and when he got it the Saints Cheer Squad were just shut right down
Loved that moment

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 06:27 PM

Hahaha funny goal, must have been everyone just yelling out go go go go to the ball that made it go through :D, it just had enough on it to go through.

LostDoggy
05-04-2008, 06:37 PM
3rd quarter. About 5 minutes left. Dogs up by 15 (i think.)

G-train bombs it to the goalsquare from 55m out. Hudson gets a simple punch by himself after Hill jumps all over Saints player and gets no where near the ball. Saints kick easy goal from goalsquare.

The boy hill is excused !!!!!!!!

Mantis
06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Harbrow had an excellent game considering he was rushed in and needs to adjust with his other players, he isnt a regular but proved he wants to be, i have some real faith in this kid coming on when given the opportunity over a few games in a row, not one here and one there.

You dont need to talk up Harbrow to quite a few posters on this site. We know what he brings to the team. He played quite a few games last year in succession and would be looking to build on that performance this year. The coach really rates him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him given every opportunity to keep his spot in the side.

westdog54
06-04-2008, 02:06 AM
How did everyone rate Harbrow's game?

Looked a little under-done to me, but still did enough as far as defensive pressure, chasing and providing an option around the ground. Was pleased to see him thrust into the midfield for a while too, and his crumbing work was good. Hill seems to have overtaken him pretty comfortably at this stage, but Harbrow adds another dimension to our side. We instantly looked more dangerous when he can on and sat deep in the forward line waiting for crumbs.

Thought he played a decent game.

I will give him a big big polish for one piece of play now that I think of it.

Very very late in the final quarter he made a lead on the wing, the pass looked like it might fall short but he seemed to sprint it out and made it to the ball to take the mark.

Sockeye and I were extremely impressed that with the game well and truly won deep in time on he was still busting his gut for a mark. It was a good 50-60 metre lead. Respect.

westdog54
06-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Hahaha funny goal, must have been everyone just yelling out go go go go to the ball that made it go through :D, it just had enough on it to go through.

Not only that, it seemed to just roll around the goalpost as well. Full credit to the goal umpire, watched it very closely all the way through.

ledge
06-04-2008, 04:01 AM
Speaking of goal umpires, my flog,
Goal umpires credentials: Missing part of brain, act and look stupid, also wear a cap in night games to stop moonburn? Or can the lights cause dandruff or something?
There is one my Carlton mate loves, he looks like one of the Mario brothers and is so serious whenever he has to make a decision. Billy Bowden should do that job when he retires from cricket umpiring.

katemeehan
06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Not only that, it seemed to just roll around the goalpost as well. Full credit to the goal umpire, watched it very closely all the way through.

Me and my mates couldnt stop laughing at this. He was with it more than a chook laying an egg.

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Polish - Griffen's quick step. It wasn't seen on TV very well but Griffen repeated the double step (done on Ablett in 2005) a little when he beat Blake and left him for dead in the 2nd quarter for a goal.

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Flog - The TV commentators believing AKA actually pushed ?? in the first quarter. You have got to be kidding me.

westdog54
07-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Flog - The TV commentators believing AKA actually pushed ?? in the first quarter. You have got to be kidding me.

I can safely say that was the worst decision in football history.

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Polish - Griffen's quick step. It wasn't seen on TV very well but Griffen repeated the double step (done on Ablett in 2005) a little when he beat Blake and left him for dead in the 2nd quarter for a goal.

That was the highlight of the match. In that instant when he glided past Blake it just looked like he was the classiest player on the ground and to finish like that from 52 metres, awesome. His running goal in the last sent shivers up my spine as well, just moves so Hird-like but with more pace than Hird. A beautiful change of direction and a stab pass through the big sticks followed by a real celebration. Hope he stays with us for the rest of his career, he is my new favourite player (sorry Mitch).

bornadog
07-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Yes Nathan "Stupid"Buckley's comments were woeful

bornadog
07-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Flog: Umpire calling Jarrods mis-kick that went 40 metres as deliberate out of bounce, what a joke.

aker39
07-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Flog: Umpire calling Jarrods mis-kick that went 40 metres as deliberate out of bounce, what a joke.

I don't think it was a mis-kick, but I also think it was a very harse call.

Twodogs
07-04-2008, 11:49 AM

First time I saw him at preseason training in 2006 I thought he showed a bit more than your average first year draftee/rookie. The first time I saw him in match practice the following January I knew he was special and went home to think about which player on the list we could do without to get him off the rookie list ASAP. Quite a few of us preseason tragics have been on the Harbrow bandwagon for a while now.

Flog' Nafan Buckley. Seriously I reckon that Straughny would provide more incisive special comments. For about 15 minutes in the third quarter he completely lost the plot, sounded delerious(could have been jet lag I guess) and I dont think he knew he was at the footy for a while. Pllease, please do us all a favour Bucks and go into coaching.

Polish. Dale Morris. Thank God this bloke doesnt know how to give up and that no-one ever took the time to explain to him that he that blokes his size cant hope to be able to beat blokes Reivoldts size.

Polish. Cam Wight. Doesnt know how to take a backward step and now that he's getting the footy part a bit better he's got the potential to be a devasting player. Thanks to him Eade was able to stretch the St Kilda backline at times in the third and fourth quarters for height. It was close to my favorite parts of the game.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 01:39 PM
flogs

*Our defensive set up from St Kilda's kick outs, it was as clear as a blue sky what the saints were doing yet our players didn't cotton on at all

*Umpiring, they did everything they could to give the saints a 10 goal lead.

Polishes

Gonna try stay away from the obvious polishes because I'll be here all day.

Some might say the players ive chosen are obvious but I believe they have gone missing in all of the praise.

Mitch Hahn, always wondred when he would play for longer than 5 minutes in a quarter and need a rest. Boy, he hustled and bustled all day, charged the packs and his goal in the second quarter was the catalyst.

BIG WILLY!!! I have been a vocal critic of Wil but he was fantastic on the weekend. Whilst he didn't set the world on fire with his marking up forward, he brought the ball down time and time again to a contest, skillfully palming it down to our front and square crumbers. His ruck work was very good also, gave a verty strong showing in the middle.

Crossy. This man continues to slip under people's radar. His hard running and ball winning was secon to none. He was at the bottom of every pack and gave really lifeted in the middle after quarter time.

Scott west got little praise for his game, but I thought every possesion he got was timely, well thought out and after watching the replay really appreciated how much we really miss wat he actually does out there on the park.

Gilbee, even with a tag, he still managed to rack up the possies. his chase/tackle effort in the last quarter when he was 4 0n 1 and he caused a turn over, i was up off my seat ready to take off from the 3rd level.

Dale Morris... The man is near on unbeatable. Never gives up and continues to run, spoil and play hard. He absolutely gave Roo a bubble bath on Friday, playing well above his height, i believe he is right up there with Cambell Brown as the best medium defender in the league.

Hudson, this guy is the recruit of the year. He ammassed the most hard ball gets for our side on friday all from second ans third efforts, I just love how he goes about it.

wimberga
07-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Very true comments about big will there TAMA

St Kilda have quality ruckmen but Will and Hudson DOMINATED the tap outs

alwaysadog
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
I can safely say that was the worst decision in football history.

Seems to me the ump anticipated what he thought would be the outcome of Aker's action rather than what actually happened.
Cost us a goal and showed how badly trained the umps are. First thing they should learn "never presume''.
Mind you they will never admit to a mistake and Gieschen will say up till all hours to prove they are perfect.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Seems to me the ump anticipated what he thought would be the outcome of Aker's action rather than what actually happened.
Cost us a goal and showed how badly trained the umps are. First thing they should learn "never presume''.
Mind you they will never admit to a mistake and Gieschen will say up till all hours to prove they are perfect.

No, he didn't anticipate. He guessed, as he had just been polaxed by Lenny Hayes!

alwaysadog
08-04-2008, 12:15 AM
No, he didn't anticipate. He guessed, as he had just been polaxed by Lenny Hayes!

Same thing, guessed or anticipated, it's really splitting hairs. He made a decision based on insufficient evidence.

brilliantgriffen
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Flog: The punter that unloaded on St Kilda at 1/4 time at $1.02. Made my night!