PDA

View Full Version : Changes for Round 4?

Dry Rot
06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Any injuries? Will Eagleton be fit?

Dunno that anyone deserves to be dropped after the last 3 quarters effort on Friday night.

hotdog
06-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Always hard to drop somebody after a result like that. No change I would expect.

Rocket Science
06-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Will be tantamount to heresy to some, but am beginning to suspect we're a better/more balanced outfit sans-Eagleton right now. If accountability is what got us here (3-0 start), he's certainly no walk-up start the way we're playing.

Agreed, no changes...none of Higgins, Williams, Everitt or Ray are ready and nobody from Willie is pressing for selection.

westdog54
06-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Will be tantamount to heresy to some, but am beginning to suspect we're a better/more balanced outfit sans-Eagleton right now. If accountability is what got us here (3-0 start), he's certainly no walk-up start the way we're playing.

Agreed, no changes...none of Higgins, Williams, Everitt or Ray are ready and nobody from Willie is pressing for selection.

Not heresy at all. The only player who'd really make way for Eagle is Harbrow, and I think he showed enough to warrant another senior match.

Through no fault of his own Eagle will play for Werribee this week if fit I believe.

ledge
06-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Maybe nobody deserves to get dropped but we still need to look at match ups, if the side we played on friday night doesnt match up with Essendon Rodney might make a change but would be minimal i think.
I havent had a good look at the Essendon side yet to put an idea up.I am glad Lucas isnt available and going by the game against Carlton we are a good chance to win, although for what its worth that NAB cup game scared the begeebers outta me.

FrediKanoute
06-04-2008, 04:46 AM
If Eagle is fit he should play. Nothing against Harbrow, Addison or Callan, but his experience and finishing ability is proven. It will come down to balance ultimately.

1eyedog
06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Eagle will play I reckon, despite our results he's in our best 22. I reckon he'll come in for Harbrow.

Go_Dogs
06-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Eagle will play I reckon, despite our results he's in our best 22. I reckon he'll come in for Harbrow.

It's an intriguing one this week. No one deserves to be dropped, and whilst Harbrow (imo) didn't look 100% fit, he still played his role to good effect and will be better for the run. Callan and Addison were both important players who also did their jobs. They appear a bit safer to me as they are more defensive options than flat out attacking players and as such Harbrow may be the unlucky one to miss if Eagle comes up.

firstdogonthemoon
06-04-2008, 12:51 PM
If fit, Eagle will come in for Harbrow or Callan. And can I scoff loudly and dismissively at those who suggest we are a better side without Eagle in it, especially with Callan as his replacement. Are you kidding?

Sockeye Salmon
06-04-2008, 01:01 PM
If fit, Eagle will come in for Harbrow or Callan. And can I scoff loudly and dismissively at those who suggest we are a better side without Eagle in it, especially with Callan as his replacement. Are you kidding?

Callan was very good Friday night and I would be astonished if he was left out this week.

I could easily see Eagleton come in for Harbrow, but the time is not that far away where Eagle is no longer an automatic selection.

Rocket Science
06-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Scoff away, but the kids, Callan included, are currently prepared to do things Eagleton generally won't or can't to help us win games and earn newfound respect for the way we're going about it.

Sure, Eagleton deserves a long hard look this week, but his skill-set isn't particularly unique on our team, (we're doing fine in the dash and finish departments) and he's got to be prepared to do what everyone else is doing, ie: sacrifice when required, to fit in and help maintain our form.

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Let's not forget Eagleton was in terrific form before he went down with the injury. IIRC he had about 26 touches and was one of, if not BOG.

I think Addison has done more than enough to cement a spot in the best 22 at the moment so he shouldnt come into consideration to be dropped for Eagle.

Callan also brings another dimension to our team that very few can when he backs into packs without fear for his own safety and makes a contest. Yes he's not the most polished player going around but its these hard nuts that are going to get us over the line. He is also fairly versatile; he can play a lockdown Morris type role in the backline or he can play a run with role with an opposition mid. Something Eagle cant.

The selection committee are going to have some headaches this week but if Eagle is fit and ready to go then Harbrow would probably be the unlucky one.

Ipaidmy200in89
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
Eagle will come in. I suspect that someone will get dropped. Most likely Harbow.

I have never rated Eagleton very highly. I would stay with the kids.....

GVGjr
06-04-2008, 02:09 PM
One thing to be mindful about with Callan is that his game in the pre-season against the Bombers was very poor. He was found to be lacking a yard in pace and his limited athleticism meant that finding suitable opponents was difficult.
Now nothing much has changed other than his confidence must be significantly improved and the team is playing vastly better football. I still doubt that he is a permanent fixture in this team, but I would be surprised if he is dropped anytime soon.

There must be doubts about Eagletons fitness even if you allow for a bit of selection shenanigans. Maybe a week at the Seagulls will be required.

Mofra
06-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Harbrow did well, but is clearly the 22nd man in teh side based on current form.
If Eagle is fit I'd expect him to play, Hill will move to HFF due to his defensive pressure and Eagle will become one of the link men to lead us in inside 50s as he often does.

bornadog
06-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Ray mentioned on Friday that he is two weeks away. I think the match ups is what we have to look at as I can't see us dropping any one at this stage.

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Most likely Harbrow will make way as he was the replacement.

However, if height wasn't a problem, Hargraves hasn't done anything and may have been the one to go back.

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Ray mentioned on Friday that he is two weeks away. I think the match ups is what we have to look at as I can't see us dropping any one at this stage.

Thats a positive, he looked set for a good season and I his run and aerial ability will only help us go up a gear

Did Welsh play for Essendon on the weekend - I think Callan can do the job on him. I expect us to be ready to hunt Essendon the way we didn't in the preseason game.

Mantis
06-04-2008, 07:29 PM
No change for me.

Mofra I can't believe you can suggest that we move Hill to a HFF to fit Eagleton in....Hill on the wing is one of the reasons why we have improved as a team, his ability to help out in defence with his strong marking is to valuable to waste up forward.

I know you love Eagleton first dog, but he should come back via Willi if, as we should reward the players who have performed well in his absence. ie. Callan, Addison & Harbrow.

BulldogBelle
06-04-2008, 08:53 PM
If Eagleton is fit and ready to play then he will definitely be in the side - one of Harbrow or Callan unfortunately, will have to be omitted.

Mantis
06-04-2008, 09:44 PM
If Eagleton is fit and ready to play then he will definitely be in the side - one of Harbrow or Callan unfortunately, will have to be omitted.

I honestly think that would be sending a poor message.

Both Callan and Harbrow have been given an opportunity through Eagleton's injury and have grabbed that opportunity with both hands.

Eagleton in my opinion is no longer a walk up start in our best 22 even when fully fit, a run at the lower level will do him no harm coming back from injury.

craigsahibee
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Whilst at the game I thought Callan struggled, but after watching the replay on Foxtel he was actually pretty good. I think Eagle should com back via Willy. Harbrow's pace and crumbing ability around the forward line will be crucial as I expect Mal Michael and Inspector Gadget will be able to force any high balls into our forward line to ground for Jarrod to swallow up then goal.

BulldogBelle
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM
I honestly think that would be sending a poor message.

Both Callan and Harbrow have been given an opportunity through Eagleton's injury and have grabbed that opportunity with both hands.

Eagleton in my opinion is no longer a walk up start in our best 22 even when fully fit, a run at the lower level will do him no harm coming back from injury.

Yep, understand the point you are making - either of Harbrow or Callan would be stiff to be dropped but this will be the case if my mail is correct. If Eagle is fully fit then he will be in the side there are no doubts about that.

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd be very disappointed if anyone is dropped to make way for Eagleton. Not saying he is a bad player but no one deserved to be dropped for a guy that isn't an automatic selection.

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd be very disappointed if anyone is dropped to make way for Eagleton. Not saying he is a bad player but no one deserved to be dropped for a guy that isn't an automatic selection.

I think you are taking your 'not automatic selection' too far Ernie in that I think its your opinion he shouldn't be an automatic selection, but the selectors have made him an automatic over many years.

When was the last time he was dropped/ommitted when fit? The answer to that question suggests that he is an automatic selection and has been for some time.

Now if he isn't selected when he is fit this time, then maybe things have changed and he can be considered no longer 'an automatic selection'.

GVGjr
06-04-2008, 11:25 PM

I'm not sure how you could say that on a pure form basis. Eagleton was sensational in the first game and Harbrow was just adequate on Friday night. If he is 100% fit then he should be in the mix and at least ahead of Harbrow.

Methinks people are just using his age as the reason why he wouldn't or shouldn't be selected. I think his form warrants strong consideration.

BulldogBelle
06-04-2008, 11:26 PM

You may be right, but I couldn't drop them on what they showed Friday night; effort, aggression and courage was first rate from both lads.

firstdogonthemoon
06-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Geez you're a pillock! Eagle is an automatic selection. Rodney loves Nathan and so do lots of other sensible people. He is given a job to do every week and he does it. End of story.

ledge
06-04-2008, 11:40 PM
No reason for the insult moon, everyone is entitled to opinion.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Still got a bit of learning to do on here ledge! Moonydog's insults are to be worn like a badge of honour, even if it is like being clobbered with a wet lettuce leaf.

ledge
07-04-2008, 12:08 AM
im guessing he is a pom, pillock???

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 12:14 AM
im guessing he is a pom, pillock???

I think you'll find mooneydog will be insulted by that. Surely you picked his accent the other night, South African (he loved the regime!!).

Also, you don't know about his love for Nathan, it knows no bounds!

Mantis
07-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure how you could say that on a pure form basis. Eagleton was sensational in the first game and Harbrow was just adequate on Friday night. If he is 100% fit then he should be in the mix and at least ahead of Harbrow.

Methinks people are just using his age as the reason why he wouldn't or shouldn't be selected. I think his form warrants strong consideration.

Methinks there was a bit of the changing of the guard on Friday night.

Methinks our younger player's are the one's who raised the bar with our defensive pressure and attack on the ball.

Methinks these players should be rewarded for there performances.

Yes, Eagleton was playing well in the first game, and yes on that performance he should come back into the team, but the players who have replaced him add a harder edge to our team ,an edge that has been missing over the years and have performed there duties quite well.

Yes, Eagleton will be stiff to miss out, but we now have increased depth and unfortunately one of the problems with this is that good players will be squeezed out from time to time. Prismall from Geelong would almost walk into any other teams starting midfield, but can't even crack a game because of Geelong's depth.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Excuse me but what form has Eagleton got in 2008? 3/4 of 1 game form that was 3 weeks back.
The others have played full games of 2 and 3 games recently.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 09:04 AM
The most impressive part of Friday's win was our attacking on the contest and adding Eagleton to the side for a player that does that sort of work seems stupid to me.
One week at Williamstown.

So its ok to bag players that played well on Friday but suggesting Eagleton should come through Williamstown first is a no no?

Bulldog Revolution
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
The most impressive part of Friday's win was our attacking on the contest and adding Eagleton to the side for a player that does that sort of work seems stupid to me.
One week at Williamstown.

So its ok to bag players that played well on Friday but suggesting Eagleton should come through Williamstown first is a no no?

I certainly wasn't saying it was a no-no,

More that expecting that it would happen would be the test on whether he was still an automatic selection, not whether we supporters thought he was or wasn't.

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 09:48 AM

There is no way I would leave Eagleton out of this side. Harbrow comes in, plays one ok game (he wasn't great but didn't make any mistakes) and all of a sudden he becomes an automatic in the 22? Ridiculous! Drop the boy back to Willy for a week or two, tell him he did a bloody good job the other night and that he needs to keep working his ass off to get back into the team, because we want him there. If that is not enough incentive for him to play AFL football or he loses confidence from that then he is not in the best 22 anyway. Similarly, tell Eagleton he has been selected but there was strong competition for his spot, that'll make him put in. Nathan Eagleton is a valuable player in our 22 and I believe his experience and running capacity and raking left foot gets him over the line against an up and comer who played one ok game.

whythelongface
07-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Methinks there was a bit of the changing of the guard on Friday night.

Methinks our younger player's are the one's who raised the bar with our defensive pressure and attack on the ball.

Methinks these players should be rewarded for there performances.

Yes, Eagleton was playing well in the first game, and yes on that performance he should come back into the team, but the players who have replaced him add a harder edge to our team ,an edge that has been missing over the years and have performed there duties quite well.

Yes, Eagleton will be stiff to miss out, but we now have increased depth and unfortunately one of the problems with this is that good players will be squeezed out from time to time. Prismall from Geelong would almost walk into any other teams starting midfield, but can't even crack a game because of Geelong's depth.

Good call Mantis. It is these younger players that are really leading the way - the likes of Addison, Callan, Hill, Harbrow - they are taking up the challenge that is being thrown to them.

The good thing about us discussing the selection of players within the team shows that we have depth. A depth that has been missing for a while. In the past a player like Eagleton would have been a walk up start in our lineup coming back from injury. Now this is no longer the case. The next few weeks will be even more interesting when we have someonle like Ray available for selection. Will he be an automatic selection? I suspect not and he may spend 1 or 2 weeks at Willy. The only player coming back from injury that will pretty much be a walk up start at the moment would be Everitt. IMHO Williams may find himself coming back through Willy as well.

GVGjr
07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Excuse me but what form has Eagleton got in 2008? 3/4 of 1 game form that was 3 weeks back.
The others have played full games of 2 and 3 games recently.

He got injured in the last few minutes of the game so it was hardly 3/4 of a game and his form was very good and that was two weeks back not three.

Harbrow was Ok but not much better than that and Eagleton must be in the mix to replace him.

GVGjr
07-04-2008, 10:03 AM

What did Harbrow actually display on Friday that warrants Eagleton (if fit) to be sent to coventry regardless?

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I do not think that Harbrows game was good enough to be put in the side over Eagleton. I know Harbrow had an ok game but, the performance from Eagleton in round 1 was better than Harbrows. So I do not see why Harbrow should be in the side instead of Eagleton.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2008, 10:39 AM
What did Harbrow actually display on Friday that warrants Eagleton (if fit) to be sent to coventry regardless?

I agree with you on this point GVGjr. Harbrow was clearly a bit underdone for mine, and whilst he did some nice things, he didn't really have a huge influence on the game (besides perhaps the couple of goals he snapped, one from nothing) and seemed to be a bit lost at times and lose his feet. He's still got a bit of time to get it together and make a serious crack at cementing his place in the best 22, but at this stage, Eagleton adds more as an attacking player than Harbrow, and with Addison, Callan(?) and of course Hill moving ahead of Harbrow in the pecking order, he will probably need a few big weeks in the VFL to get himself back in the side.

I quite like the fact that we are having selections dilemma's at this early stage, and the reason for the dilemma is that we have too many players playing their role and doing well!

Sockeye Salmon
07-04-2008, 10:42 AM
The only player coming back from injury that will pretty much be a walk up start at the moment would be Everitt.

Everitt was really stuggling before he got hurt and I don't think he would have even got a game in round 1.

Everitt will not only come back through Willi it might take him a while to get back up.

bornadog
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
I agree with you on this point GVGjr. Harbrow was clearly a bit underdone for mine, and whilst he did some nice things, he didn't really have a huge influence on the game (besides perhaps the couple of goals he snapped, one from nothing) and seemed to be a bit lost at times and lose his feet. He's still got a bit of time to get it together and make a serious crack at cementing his place in the best 22, but at this stage, Eagleton adds more as an attacking player than Harbrow, and with Addison, Callan(?) and of course Hill moving ahead of Harbrow in the pecking order, he will probably need a few big weeks in the VFL to get himself back in the side.

I quite like the fact that we are having selections dilemma's at this early stage, and the reason for the dilemma is that we have too many players playing their role and doing well!

What agreat position to be in and Street and Skipper showing something at Williamstown on Saturday and putting pressure on the rucks as well. With Williams and Everritt still to come back, things are on the up at the moment.

I do agree that Eagleton warrants his position back and would hate to drop Harbrow, however, we need to see how we will match up against Essendon before the final decision is made on the starting 22.

Mantis
07-04-2008, 11:53 AM

He chased, he tackled, he fully committed his body to the contest.

He may not do the flashy things that Eagleton does, but he does the things that make us a better 'team'.

GVGjr
07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
He chased, he tackled, he fully committed his body to the contest.

He may not do the flashy things that Eagleton does, but he does the things that make us a better 'team'.

Cannot agree that he had an influence on the game in anything mentioned above.
He actually turned the ball over, looked unfit and made poor decisions.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 12:41 PM
There is no way I would leave Eagleton out of this side. Harbrow comes in, plays one ok game (he wasn't great but didn't make any mistakes) and all of a sudden he becomes an automatic in the 22? Ridiculous! Drop the boy back to Willy for a week or two, tell him he did a bloody good job the other night and that he needs to keep working his ass off to get back into the team, because we want him there.
Thats strange logic.
Who is saying Harbrow is an automatic selection? He is just a selection.
Let me get this straight you want to drop him cos he and the team did well and play a guy straight from 3 week injury thats not a top liner?

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 12:47 PM
I do not think that Harbrows game was good enough to be put in the side over Eagleton. I know Harbrow had an ok game but, the performance from Eagleton in round 1 was better than Harbrows. So I do not see why Harbrow should be in the side instead of Eagleton.
How about changing a winning side?
Already mentioned the main reason why we won this week and adding Eagelton will change the dynamics.

As for your wording Harbrow put in the side, its wrong as he is already there and he has to be put out.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 12:50 PM
He got injured in the last few minutes of the game so it was hardly 3/4 of a game and his form was very good and that was two weeks back not three.

It will be 3 weeks if he comes back this coming weekend. Round 1 to 4.
Still debatable whether the first game of the season, 3 weeks back means you are in form.

Mantis
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Cannot agree that he had an influence on the game in anything mentioned above.
He actually turned the ball over, looked unfit and made poor decisions.

I suppose we will agree to disagree.

firstdogonthemoon
07-04-2008, 04:32 PM

No, I am sure I read in the terms and conditions that Ernie is not actually entitled to an opinion. And its only an insult if its not true!

Everyone loves to bag Eagle - I am on a mission from god to defend him from infidels and unbelievers.

I know he wont last for ever, and this might even be his last year - the point is well made that them younguns coming through will eclipse him, maybe sooner, maybe later.

However at the moment a fit Eagle is in our best 22, and any view to the contrary is simply foolishness, frippery and meandering whimsy of the worst order.

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Thats strange logic.
Who is saying Harbrow is an automatic selection? He is just a selection.
Let me get this straight you want to drop him cos he and the team did well and play a guy straight from 3 week injury thats not a top liner?

Yep and I'm not saying Habrow is an automatic selection either, I'm saying that if Eagleton is fit, then he sure as hell is an automatic selection when compared to Harbrow. And yes, it appears that Habrow will be an automatic selection if Eagleton isn't fit. Your saying Habrow should be selected in lieu of Eagleton. I'm disagreeing. Habrow did ok when compared to the majority of the team who did very well, to suggest that he was up to par would be erroneous at this stage. He doesn't get selected purely on the team result, he did nothing special, lucky goal here lead hard there, sure he wants to play AFL football and proved it on Friday night but he ain't up there yet. Eagleton has and should play in lieu of him in Round 4.

Rocket Science
07-04-2008, 05:19 PM
at the moment a fit Eagle is in our best 22...

That's the thing, sometimes he is, and sometimes he isn't, and that's simply not good enough for a player with his level of seniority on the team, and probably explains why he's somewhat of a touchstone for the sceptics. It's not going to get easier for the Eagle either when Everitt, Williams and Ray in particular begin pressing for selection in the immediate term, and the likes of Ward and Stack in the longer term.

Am by no means suggesting he's a write off, he can be a very dynamic player for us when 'on', but not only needs to use the ball more efficiently and work harder to exert more influence when we don't have the footy but generally provide better quarter-to-quarter and game-to-game consistency.

If we're to improve and progress we have to eliminate our various flaws both as a team and individually. If Eagle can demonstrate same, there's a spot for him but if not his previously regular spot is increasingly in jeapordy.

Go_Dogs
07-04-2008, 05:31 PM
That's the thing, sometimes he is, and sometimes he isn't, and that's simply not good enough for a player with his level of seniority on the team, and probably explains why he's somewhat of a touchstone for the sceptics. It's not going to get easier for the Eagle either when Everitt, Williams and Ray in particular begin pressing for selection in the immediate term, and the likes of Ward and Stack in the longer term.

Am by no means suggesting he's a write off, he can be a very dynamic player for us when 'on', but not only needs to use the ball more efficiently and work harder to exert more influence when we don't have the footy but generally provide better quarter-to-quarter and game-to-game consistency.

If we're to improve and progress we have to eliminate our various flaws both as a team and individually. If Eagle can demonstrate same, there's a spot for him but if not his previously regular spot is increasingly in jeapordy.

Imagine what Eagle will be doing if we continue winning the contested ball and giving him space to work with...he'll tear sides up. I for one anticipate his return.

Mantis
07-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Imagine what Eagle will be doing if we continue winning the contested ball and giving him space to work with...he'll tear sides up. I for one anticipate his return.

Imagine we don't and his opponent keeps getting the ball.... I know who I want doing the chasing. Big hint....It's not Eagleton.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Yep and I'm not saying Habrow is an automatic selection either, I'm saying that if Eagleton is fit, then he sure as hell is an automatic selection when compared to Harbrow. And yes, it appears that Habrow will be an automatic selection if Eagleton isn't fit. Your saying Habrow should be selected in lieu of Eagleton. I'm disagreeing. Habrow did ok when compared to the majority of the team who did very well, to suggest that he was up to par would be erroneous at this stage. He doesn't get selected purely on the team result, he did nothing special, lucky goal here lead hard there, sure he wants to play AFL football and proved it on Friday night but he ain't up there yet. Eagleton has and should play in lieu of him in Round 4.

That was then, this is now. Eagleton was an automatic selection in past years. Who knows if he at the same or better level in a obviously better side.

Harbrow not getting dropped does not make him an automatic selection every week. As you said I said team won, he was ok. If one of those two change this week then I can understand dropping him.

alwaysadog
07-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Bit of a meaningless debate now, West out for at least two with a "Knee", most of us have two, so West out and the Eagle in.

A really good time to test the new set up without the "old Master".