PDA

View Full Version : Addison + Callan > Power + McMahon?

Dry Rot
06-04-2008, 11:48 AM
This post on another thread

Will be tantamount to heresy to some, but am beginning to suspect we're a better/more balanced outfit sans-Eagleton right now. If accountability is what got us here (3-0 start), he's certainly no walk-up start the way we're playing.

Got me thinking about the two first round picks we traded who weren't hard nor accountable, and the two young hard and accountable guys now playing, one a Cats reject and the other a late draft pick.

If hardness and accountability are now valued in our team, then are Addison + Callan > Power + McMahon?

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Got me thinking about the two first round picks we traded who weren't hard nor accountable, and the two young hard and accountable guys now playing, one a Cats reject and the other a late draft pick.

If hardness and accountability are now valued in our team, then are Addison + Callan > Power + McMahon?

And you should have added DR that Addison is a good ole Sydney boy - perhaps he should be your new love child, I am not asking you to be unfaithful to Harris-Lake but surely you must consider Addison - The boy is a fabulous tackler

Its an interesting balance between hardness and skills - whilst hard players with no skills are frustrating so are skilled players with no hardness

Dry Rot
06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
And you should have added DR that Addison is a good ole Sydney boy - perhaps he should be your new love child, I am not asking you to be unfaithful to Harris-Lake but surely you must consider Addison - The boy is a fabulous tackler

We breed 'em tough up here. ;)

westdog54
06-04-2008, 01:18 PM

I wouldn't exactly call Addison a late pick, he was a second rounder IIRC.

I think at the end of last year we decided to move toward players who'll put their head over the ball without question. Both men did that repeatedly friday night.

hujsh
06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
We have players who use the ball well and can run with it so the hard players become more valuable to us and they stand out more than if they were at Geelong or Sydney.

Dry Rot
06-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Watching the Swans last night at the Gabba, they seem to have 22 Callans and Addisons.

GVGjr
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Watching the Swans last night at the Gabba, they seem to have 22 Callans and Addisons.

Not good footy though. The Swans will need to play a lot better than that if they want to make the top 4.

LostDoggy
06-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't normally rate Buckssssss much as a commentator ([I] think he is only there to cater for the large Collingwood market) - but he did say one thing of interest to me after Friday night's game. That we have an edge of hardness this year from players such as Addison, Callan and Hahn that we were sorely lacking last year.

I don't know about anyone else here - but I keep pinching myself thinking that our start is unbelievable - pulling of a recruiting coup (Hudson, Welsh, Callan) Rising Star Nomination with a good chance to win it, from a #61 pick and beating three of our four bogey teams - I am frightened I am going to wake up:eek:

westdog54
06-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I don't normally rate Buckssssss much as a commentator ([I] think he is only there to cater for the large Collingwood market) - but he did say one thing of interest to me after Friday night's game. That we have an edge of hardness this year from players such as Addison, Callan and Hahn that we were sorely lacking last year.

I don't know about anyone else here - but I keep pinching myself thinking that our start is unbelievable - pulling of a recruiting coup (Hudson, Welsh, Callan) Rising Star Nomination with a good chance to win it, from a #61 pick and beating three of our four bogey teams - I am frightened I am going to wake up:eek:

If we're 6 and zip after the West Coast game, then I might get a little excited:D

Mofra
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm pretty happy with 3 other virtual recruits who were down on fitness/health last year - Aker, Hahn & Murphy.

A fit Minson as a 2nd ruck option helps enormously. I wonder how many teams we have to beat before we start to earn a little respect?

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2008, 05:52 PM
We breed 'em tough up here. ;)

Thought you'd like that

Our recruiting has done a good job in tabbing all of the players you name, but surely it is a worry that Clayton has not tabbed ruckmen, key forwards or defenders. However, Hill is making him look like a genius, but Power and McMahon did not, so time as always will be the test.

bornadog
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Thought you'd like that

Our recruiting has done a good job in tabbing all of the players you name, but surely it is a worry that Clayton has not tabbed ruckmen, key forwards or defenders. However, Hill is making him look like a genius, but Power and McMahon did not, so time as always will be the test.

I would say that McMahon is a pretty handy player who averages 20 plus every week. So I wouldn't say he got that wrong.

Bulldog Revolution
06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I would say that McMahon is a pretty handy player who averages 20 plus every week. So I wouldn't say he got that wrong.

Its the character of the player that perhaps he got wrong, and his drive to want to improve, work at his weaknesses - but perhaps that is too long a bow to draw at Clayton and more a question that should be levelled against McMahan and or our development coaching set ups.

However, I do think 20 plus possies is a stretch, I think maybe he has had one season (2006) where he has averaged more than 20 touches, but I guess I do acknowledge your point, which I take to be he does have talent and can play

Twodogs
07-04-2008, 12:12 PM
I know for a fact that senior elements of the footy department are over the moon at trading Jordy for the pick we got Ward for. They're confident that the scales will tilt heavily in our favour on that trade over the next couple of years.

Having said that the kid was a bottom age draftee at last year's draft so we should be patient.

Having said that DFA and Callan bring a totaaly different set of skills to the table that Power and Jordy just didnt have and that the team needed desperately.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Having said that DFA and Callan bring a totaaly different set of skills to the table that Power and Jordy just didnt have and that the team needed desperately.

Agreed 100,000%

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 01:07 PM

I saw him against Collingwood yesterday and he had no effect on the game other than Richmond losing.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 01:27 PM
He's an outside runner who would never be able to win his own ball, so Eade threw him down back. He is too small to be a defender or have any physical impact on a contest, so unless he picks up the loose ball or is running past recieving it, he won't be having much impact.

He was never going to be a player like coons or griff who could take the game by the scruff. Im over the moon with the Ward trade and think he will be a remarkable acquision for us, he's tough, hard and knows how to get the footy.

Loving Addison's pure aggression at the contest, the boy has no respect for his well being and i imagine he would be one of the most respected players at the club for his courage. Once he gets more game time and learns to make better decisions and improves his skills, he will a very valuable asset for us. He knows how to get plenty of it which is the first step, now it's up to him to work hard on using it that little bit better, having said that he has been great and I'm loving his work

macca
08-04-2008, 10:37 PM
power and mcmahon lacked on quality : toughness at contest. It was a master stroke to let these two guys go. Watching Power at North Melbourne, shows we made the right decision. He still wants to get to many easy free kicks, outside player and his disposal is quite ordinary. Addison has shown his toughness and tackling ability a number of times this year. His disposal needs to improve, but not far off and Callan is hungry to play footy. Addisons 2nd game this year was a real big step forward.

Is it just me but I see addison as having the same drive and toughness as a young brett kirk, and also similar hairdo, but still a long way to be a good a player as kirky.

Bulldog Revolution
08-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Is it just me but I see addison as having the same drive and toughness as a young brett kirk, and also similar hairdo, but still a long way to be a good a player as kirky.

any post that involves comments on a players hair automatically has my full support macca

it would be fabulous if he could model his game on someone like Kirk and develop that type of nose for the ball