PDA

View Full Version : Article From Graham Cornes (Dogs related)

Go_Dogs
07-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I've had to re-type this out, as the stupid Adelaidenow site never includes the feature articles that run in the paper, thought it was a good article and worth it though! For those in Adelaide, check the article inside Footy Monday.

Once again the Crows and Power provided another fantastic Showdown performance. It had everything - big hits, plenty of passion and, overall, rates as one of the best in 24 contests. But the Western Bulldogs' performance on Friday night, when the Doggies gave St Kilda a six-goal start and then trounced them by six, will be largely overlooked - even forgotten. Pity, because it was football at its best.
The Bulldogs' last three quarters was football perfection. A blend of spectacular attacking football that we remember from the "good old days" (whenever they were), and modern, high rotation, game with its defensive emphasis. But we didn't see too much of a defensive attitude from Rodney Eade's men. Eade can seriously coach, and his young charges have responded, and started the year with three successive wins. After quarter time they smothered the underperforming Saints, impressively won the hard ball when there was immense pressure around it, and threw the ball around with what appeared to be reckless intent.

But of course it wasn't reckless. When the coach tells you to give the ball first time to the running player, regardless of the pressure you, or he, is under, there is no time to blink or question. Just do it! The result was the Bulldogs' players running confidently ro receive, demanding that their team-mates win the ball and give it to them. We saw tough competitive football in the clinches which exploded into a free-running attacking spectacle.
The game, despite those who are keen to pronounce its last rites, is not dead - and the Bulldogs, despite being undersized and possibly undermanned, deserve many accolades for preserving its image.
For me, the most interesting Bulldogs player is their often tagged, running hald-back, Lindsay Gilbee. Gilbee epitomises the modern footballer who generates so much attack from defence. Yet to be widely recognised for the length of his long accurate kicking, he is also tough. Kane Cornes tagged him last year, and when the ball was 50 metres away, he laid his right arm across his chest to establish contact and let him know he was there.

Gilbee who, unbeknown to Cornes had trained in the martial art of Braziliam tae-kwon-do, responded instantly, in blinding speed with a move that locked the arm, hyper-extended the elbow and caused great anguish and pain to Cornes who feared that his arm had been broken. He has a new found respect for Gilbee. Unless the rest of the football world starts to respect the Bulldogs they will cause a lot more serious pain to their opponents.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Now, there is something as rare as Rocking Horse S...

Something articulate from Graham Cornes - world's greatest moron.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks G16, appreciate the effort you went to to type it all out. Thanks!

Twodogs
07-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Tha's an amzing article. Especially the Kane Cornes thing. No wonder Gilbs finds so much space on the field. A martial arts expert running at full tilt isnt someone I'd be keen to get in the way of.

The Coon Dog
07-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Not too sure about that martial arts bit. The one I knew who is proficient in Brazilian Tai-Kwon-Do tho is Shaggy.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Interesting tidbit about Kane in there. Surprised to see no one picked up on it in the media

Oh and yes thankyou very much for taking the time to write that out.

Throughandthrough
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
On another curious path, i was listening to talkback radio on 5AA yesterday morning.

They were talking about "Rivalry" round, and at least 3 Cows supporters rang up and said that they see teh Bulldogs as bigger/more traditional rivals then the Power, and they would prefer they played us instead of the Power!

Go_Dogs
07-04-2008, 01:58 PM
On another curious path, i was listening to talkback radio on 5AA yesterday morning.

They were talking about "Rivalry" round, and at least 3 Cows supporters rang up and said that they see teh Bulldogs as bigger/more traditional rivals then the Power, and they would prefer they played us instead of the Power!

That's a rivalry I wouldn't mind either.

Could someone explain to me where our rivalry with the Saints comes from?

Mantis
07-04-2008, 02:10 PM

We where the 2 teams left over who don't have 'traditional' rivalries with other club's so they stuck us together.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 02:29 PM
We where the 2 teams left over who don't have 'traditional' rivalries with other club's so they stuck us together.

2 of the 4 teams IMO. Geelong and Melbourne I have never seen as rivals.

What is the North vs Hawks rivalry?

Mantis
07-04-2008, 02:35 PM

Played a few GF's against each other in the late 70's??

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Only a minor issue that Geelong and Melbourne are the 2 oldest clubs and played one of the first ever matches.

Its a 70s thing. Met something like 8 times in finals including 3 GFs in the period 75 - 78.

Topdog
07-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Only a minor issue that Geelong and Melbourne are the 2 oldest clubs and played one of the first ever matches.

Being the 2 oldest club makes a rivalry? There is no animosity between those 2 teams.

LostDoggy
07-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Being the 2 oldest club makes a rivalry? There is no animosity between those 2 teams.
A rivalry isn't just about animosity and anyway in 150 years I'm sure there has been some between the two.
As I also wrote the first ever match between 2 sides in this comp was Melbourne v Geelong. If thats not a rivalry then nothing is.

craigsahibee
07-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Andrew Jarman quoted the Bulldogs as the Crows biggest rival behind Collingwood when he was playing. Apparently everyone west of Mt Gambier hates Collingwood aswell

dog town
07-04-2008, 07:33 PM
This is the man who said the Boxing Day Test was crap. Cant take him seriously.

BulldogBelle
07-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Good article -thanks a plenty Griff for taking the time to type that out. :)

hujsh
07-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Definitely appreciated

1eyedog
07-04-2008, 11:23 PM

That's interesting. I guess it harks back to that Prelim where Libba kicked that late 4th quarter goal. I also recall some very tough matches from AAMI stadium in the late 90s as well. We used to do quite well over there for some reason. Maybe that's why they hate us.

alwaysadog
08-04-2008, 12:27 AM
We've had some great tussles with the Crows and neither side has been on top for too long and we've given them some nice pastings in Adelaide and they've touched us up more than once.

LostDoggy
08-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I think of Adelaide as more of a rival than St Kilda as well . All the Bulldogs and St Kilda have is a close record against them. Whereas there have been some great matches between the Bulldogs and Adelaide. Including two that I wish I could forget

Sedat
08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Steeped in great tradition - we stole Phil Cronin from the Saints in the mid 80's and they responded in kind by stealing Michael Frost in the early 90's.

Rivalry Round is a moronic concept - every other team is a rival to your own.

The Coon Dog
08-04-2008, 01:41 PM
How many other St.Bulldogs are there?

Russell Tweedale, Alistair Ford, Bruce Duperouzal, Con Gorozides, John Bennett, Nicky Winmar, Max Crow, Alby Smedts, Darren Davies & Shane Birss. All I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many I have missed.

aker39
08-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Stephen Powell

Desipura
08-04-2008, 02:13 PM
How many other St.Bulldogs are there?

Russell Tweedale, Alistair Ford, Bruce Duperouzal, Con Gorozides, John Bennett, Nicky Winmar, Max Crow, Alby Smedts, Darren Davies & Shane Birss. All I could think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many I have missed.
Dean Chiron or did he only play at Melb? Michael Frost and a rover named Evans who came to us via St Kilda