PDA

View Full Version : Lost Dogs

The Coon Dog
08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Mark Stevens - Herald Sun

THE Western Bulldogs are facing a dramatic membership shortfall of up to $1.2 million despite their unbeaten start to the season.

More than 8000 members from 2007 have yet to re-commit, leaving the Dogs increasingly anxious about the impact on the bottom line.

The Dogs are last on the membership ladder with 23,564 paid-up supporters.

Even embattled Melbourne - the club the Dogs thumped by 95-points in Round 2 - has sold more memberships.

Despite a shocking start to the season on the field, the Demons have managed to scrounge together 23,622.

"As chief executive, I feel embarrassed," Bulldogs boss Campbell Rose said yesterday.

"The club has never been better positioned, however, a loss of 8000 members from last year would put our club into a precarious financial position.

"It could border on a crisis.

"This is a call to arms to our supporters."

The Dogs had set a target of 32,000 members this year, but have been stunned by a lack of interest from supporters.

The club sold less than 200 memberships at its Friday night home game against St Kilda at Telstra Dome.

The lack of activity came despite a Friday morning email from Bulldogs president David Smorgon, urging more than 2000 unsigned members to jump back on board.

Smorgon said the task of re-signing the bulk of the 8000 "lost dogs" could prove to be the difference between a profit and loss.

"We know who they are, we know where they are, the question we want to understand is why these people haven't renewed their membership," Smorgon said,

Smorgon said the Dogs had been expecting an "avalanche" of phone calls after the win against St Kilda. Instead, there has been stone-cold silence.

"There's been barely a drip," Smorgon said. "My appeal is 'Where's the pride in the Bulldog?'.

"Have a look at some of our competitors, who haven't got that much to hang their hat on.

"Carlton has lost 14 games in a row and their membership is over 35,000."

The Dogs now face an uphill battle to get close to last year's club record of 28,752 members.

Smorgon said surveys had revealed supporters were bitterly disappointed with the Dogs' run home last year, which included six losses and a draw.

"The view of those surveyed was there was a lack of effort from the club," Smorgon said.

"My view is, we've addressed that very strongly in a public manner over the summer with the football report.

"We, as a board, weren't happy and we've made the hard changes.

"Last year is last year.

"The first week we had a stirring victory for Johnno's 300th, which would have stirred the passion and emotion in any Bulldog fan.

"We came out two weeks ago against Melbourne and instead of winning by five or six goals we ended up winning by 95 points.

"And then, we had our biggest test on Friday night, and we came out with one of the most exciting victories in years against St Kilda.

"We, as a football club, need these members to come on board."

Smorgon went as far as pledging to talk to supporters personally if they are disgruntled.

"If they want to contact Campbell or I and explain why they're not happy to renew, we're happy to take their calls and answer them," Smorgon said.

Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade took the step of calling for members to renew at his press conference on Friday night.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23503562-19742,00.html

GVGjr
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I suppose the club should have seen something like this coming given the sorry way we finished the 2007 season but I cannot understand why he is asking "We know who they are, we know where they are, the question we want to understand is why these people haven't renewed their membership,"

Surely that is something that has been addressed every year in Smorgons tenure. If they don't understand the main reasons why people are so inconsistent with signing up for their memberships then in my opinion they haven't done their job well. Understanding the customer trends is what separates the good business from the poor ones.

mjp
08-04-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree...I struggle to understand how the club didn't see this coming.

Mofra
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
It is disappointing, however we do have one of the lowest churn rates amongst the AFL clubs.

I'm surprised I haven't heard any call to arms earlier though - is there no contact the the members who have dropped off?
Also have to wonder how many of these memberships were sympathy memberships from opposition supporters who are now buying membership for North instead.

hujsh
08-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Are those figures up to date? Because the updates on the internet have been higher.

BulldogBelle
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Just rang the call centre and we are at 24980 matchday members. Thought you guys might like to know.

So wich figure ir right!!
The paper or the call centre?

Maybe there are more Dogs suppoters hurting financialy with the interest rate rises?

bornadog
08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Smorgon on SEN now appealing to those that haven't signed up.

GVGjr
08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Smorgon on SEN now appealing to those that haven't signed up.

I have seen a copy of the letter that has been sent out. I tend to think it should have been sent out a month ago because essentially we have had three home games and now the value of taking a membership has diminished.

It might be a bit late to get the best possible results.

LostDoggy
08-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I think it wasnt just the losing last year, but the way we lost.
As we all know, we were flogged in most games and didnt look interested at all.

With beating St Kilda last Friday, a lot of bandwagon members may be thinking that we also started off alright last year and look what happened.

Personally, Im a member every year, because you dont know which year could be our year, and I want to be a part of it WHEN it happens as opposed to AFTER the event, like Geelong Footy Club has. Record membership after they won the flag, I would rather be a member when we win rather than afterwards.

bornadog
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
I have seen a copy of the letter that has been sent out. I tend to think it should have been sent out a month ago because essentially we have had three home games and now the value of taking a membership has diminished.

It might be a bit late to get the best possible results.

Two home games.

Mantis
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Two home games.

+ 1 replacement game for our 'home' interstate game. So essentially 3 home games

bornadog
08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
+ 1 replacement game for our 'home' interstate game. So essentially 3 home games

yes forgot that one - ta very much

LostDoggy
08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
This is very embarrassing isn't it? Last on the table. The figures quoted on BF don't seem to match the figures on the club website???

I'm on auto-renew and last week I also renewed my Brother's membership for him because he's just become a Dad meaning they're now on one income. I feel I'm doing all I can.

I don't think people would have bought sympathy memberships last year. We finished the 06 season well and also haven't had much bad press regarding finances over the last couple of seasons.

The best thing that can happen is for the team to come out and flog Essendon this week so people don't think the first 3 wins were a fluke. The negative crisis article should hopefully have some impact as well.

I wish for once we could have a great year on and off the field.

LostDoggy
09-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I knew something like this would happen after how we finished off last year, but this is just pathetic from our members. You dont just get rid of your membership, beacause your team has a bad season and Bulldog supporters should know that better than anyone else. As soon as we get a better membership base, than another club 8000 of them dont sign back up the next season, just beacause of a bad finish to the previous season. I think that is just poor from those people. If they dont sign back up we will have the lowest membership in the AFL, which would be an enbarrasment for everyone involved with the club. I think that any Bulldog member, from last year that does not renew their membership, just because of how we played last season, should be ashamed of themselves, for letting down such a great club.

DHP
09-04-2008, 08:50 AM
From the point in time that it was decided that 'out-sourcing' the membership marketing and sales process was the way to go, there has been hic-ups.

Where is Betty Smith these days?

Sales people managing a process with little knowledge of the product that they are selling is not helpfull in this industry. In my humble opinion, if the people doing the face to face sales can not offer a product to 'take home' whilst the purchaser is paying for it; you are at a distinct disadvantage.

The last game that I went to was round 1 2007 at TD. I handed over around AUD 2,000 in cash for a swag of memberships to a girl who hadn't finished high school.

"Membership stuff in the post".

I don't think that approach works for the wavering part of our membership base just as much as it was distastefull for me.

Sockeye Salmon
09-04-2008, 10:26 AM
This whole thing is a beat up from the club trying to scare up a few more memberships. That's a good thing.

The comparison with Melbourne is simply wrong, Melbourne's 23,000 members include non-ticketed, ours don't. Our comparable total would be over 28,000.

We are about 1400 behind this time last year.

Last year we had just been pumped by Adelaide and St. Kilda and our membership stopped, this year we're the pumpers rather than the pumpees.

We might not make 32,000 but we'll pass last years figure.

Bulldog4life
09-04-2008, 10:34 AM
This whole thing is a beat up from the club trying to scare up a few more memberships. That's a good thing.

The comparison with Melbourne is simply wrong, Melbourne's 23,000 members include non-ticketed, ours don't. Our comparable total would be over 28,000.

We are about 1400 behind this time last year.

Last year we had just been pumped by Adelaide and St. Kilda and our membership stopped, this year we're the pumpers rather than the pumpees.

We might not make 32,000 but we'll pass last years figure.

I admire your confidence and I am hoping you are right. I've always thought too that the Club should have a group of passionate supporters ringing up the poor lost souls who haven't signed up instead of out sourcing to a Marketing Company. That way you would know that the job would be done properly. What do others think?

Max469
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Yesterday my Queensland based Nephew became a "Full long distanced member" - just in case.

He has not been a member for a couple of years due to work commitments, but his Aunt ;) who sent him the article on " lost dogs' - thought it was the right thing to do.

Probably wont get to use his membership benefits but as I said "he needed to be a member again".

ledge
09-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey i am unemployed since friday, and a mad doggies supporter, club can ring me for a moderate wage and i will do it. Ring all the supporters who havent renewed.

ledge
09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
I will ring them up and tell them i have theyre address and im sending around the debt collecter, lol

bornadog
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Hey i am unemployed since friday, and a mad doggies supporter, club can ring me for a moderate wage and i will do it. Ring all the supporters who havent renewed.

Ok, ring the club and suggest it if your serious:)

ledge
09-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Ok, ring the club and suggest it if your serious:)

8000 members thats one huge phone bill, hope none are interstate or overseas, sadly im guessing some would have a little plot of land somewhere.

bornadog
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
8000 members thats one huge phone bill, hope none are interstate or overseas, sadly im guessing some would have a little plot of land somewhere.

The club should pay the phone bill.

I believe there is a letter being sent to them, but who knows if its effective. I a few years ago, the club got players to ring non renewing members, I wonder if that worked.

GVGjr
09-04-2008, 06:34 PM

I believe there is a letter being sent to them, but who knows if its effective. I a few years ago, the club got players to ring non renewing members, I wonder if that worked.

A letter arrived at all the missing members on Monday.

It starts off

Sensational wins over Adelaide, Melbourne and St Kilda have YOUR Club off too a great start in season 2008 but one thing is missing - having YOU as a member!

hujsh
09-04-2008, 09:22 PM
A letter arrived at all the missing members on Monday.

It starts off

Sensational wins over Adelaide, Melbourne and St Kilda have YOUR Club off too a great start in season 2008 but one thing is missing - having YOU as a member!

Sounds similar to the letter i got

"Bulldogs ecstatic on signing up Sexton"

By the way this years forecast is a top 8 finish

The Coon Dog
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM

Hujsh, is your surname Sexton?

There used to be a 'white maggot' with that surname too. Wonder what has become of him?

aker39
09-04-2008, 09:26 PM

A mate of mine got the letter, and signed up yesterday.

aker39
09-04-2008, 09:28 PM

There used to be a 'white maggot' with that surname too. Wonder what has become of him?

I thought he was a good umpire too.

I believe his now a fully paid up, fanatical bulldog member.

hujsh
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Though my surname is indeed Sexton No members of my family are either umpires or fanatical Dog members.

At least as far as i know;)

Mantis
09-04-2008, 09:52 PM

I thought he was a cheat.

His bias in the 98 reserves GF got us over the line.

The Underdog
09-04-2008, 10:05 PM

My daughter got the same thing. Must have been for first time members. Nice touch I thought.

ledge
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Damn i got one saying same thing but "Wright" thought i was special!
Great bit of work but the only thing is you dont know it until you sign up.
So its not a push to sign members , they are already signed and paid up before they get it.

katemeehan
09-04-2008, 11:07 PM
My daughter got the same thing. Must have been for first time members. Nice touch I thought.

yeah new members got them last year too. I think it's great! My younger sister got so excited!

bornadog
09-04-2008, 11:22 PM
From Bulldogs Newsletter today:

As highlighted in the media this week the Bulldogs are currently sitting on 23,980 members and we need your help to find those lost dogs out there! We still have more than 7000 un-renewed members and we need all of YOU to help us reach that target. Come on Doggies supporters; join us in our passion for the Red, White and Blue, Through and Through!

ledge
10-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey mate its my opening line when i want to pick up a lady, "you just met Mr Wright" (doesnt work)
Dont know if mum would agree now but it has been 51 years for them now so im guessing she did.

Bulldog4life
10-04-2008, 12:12 AM
From Bulldogs Newsletter today:

As highlighted in the media this week the Bulldogs are currently sitting on 23,980 members and we need your help to find those lost dogs out there! We still have more than 7000 un-renewed members and we need all of YOU to help us reach that target. Come on Doggies supporters; join us in our passion for the Red, White and Blue, Through and Through!

http://westernbulldogs.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4112/Default.aspx?newsId=57637

According to this article on the Bulldog website 9,000 Bulldog fans who attended last Fridays night match were not members. Very disappointing.

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Buying a second membership tomorrow. I spend my money on shit I don't need, what's an extra 20 odd a month to help the one thing I love the most.

Go Dogs!!

Griffo
10-04-2008, 03:50 PM
I knew something like this would happen after how we finished off last year, but this is just pathetic from our members. You dont just get rid of your membership, beacause your team has a bad season and Bulldog supporters should know that better than anyone else. As soon as we get a better membership base, than another club 8000 of them dont sign back up the next season, just beacause of a bad finish to the previous season. I think that is just poor from those people. If they dont sign back up we will have the lowest membership in the AFL, which would be an enbarrasment for everyone involved with the club. I think that any Bulldog member, from last year that does not renew their membership, just because of how we played last season, should be ashamed of themselves, for letting down such a great club.

HAB54, I have followed the dogs for about 50years now and last year's finish was yet another kick in the guts where the side builds you up and then sends you crashing down with their poor performances. I haven't re-signed because I've had a gut full and I'm not ashamed just VERY disappointed yet again.

Maybe it's time the team EARNED our (my/the supporters) loyality rather than just expecting people to follow them blindly. I have in the past but not any more. I still barrack passionately but they'll just have to earn my membership money from now on.

Having said all that I have to say that Cam Rose is the BEST thing to ever happen to our club. Long may he reign !!!

PS: This is my second post & I expect I'll be offside with a lot of people but that's the way it goes I suppose.

Cheers.

camwoof
10-04-2008, 04:04 PM
If you were passionate Griffo you would purchase a membership to support the club. Some may call you a bandwagon SUPPORTER. What will you do if the dogs have a succesfull year this year and you arent a member. Next year will you join up and jump on the bandwagon then? Being a supporter for 50 years i would have thought you would understand the ups and downs of a footy club.

bornadog
10-04-2008, 04:07 PM
If you were passionate Griffo you would purchase a membership to support the club. Some may call you a bandwagon SUPPORTER. What will you do if the dogs have a succesfull year this year and you arent a member. Next year will you join up and jump on the bandwagon then? Being a supporter for 50 years i would have thought you would understand the ups and downs of a footy club.

Yes a membership isnot exactly sheep stations. For $14 per month you can get an 11 game membership.

The Underdog
10-04-2008, 04:10 PM
HAB54, I have followed the dogs for about 50years now and last year's finish was yet another kick in the guts where the side builds you up and then sends you crashing down with their poor performances. I haven't re-signed because I've had a gut full and I'm not ashamed just VERY disappointed yet again.

Maybe it's time the team EARNED our (my/the supporters) loyality rather than just expecting people to follow them blindly. I have in the past but not any more. I still barrack passionately but they'll just have to earn my membership money from now on.

Having said all that I have to say that Cam Rose is the BEST thing to ever happen to our club. Long may he reign !!!

PS: This is my second post & I expect I'll be offside with a lot of people but that's the way it goes I suppose.

Cheers.

I reckon you might be right about being offside with a lot of people.
I'll take exception on one point. The one thing I don't understand is the attitude that the club somehow owes us something as far as success on the field. It's not like we haven't been trying to win for the last 50 odd years, even though sometimes it may seem that way. I understand that other teams have been successful during that time and hey, nobody wants to see us win a premiership more than I do, but maybe being a part of something you love should be the meal and winning, the gravy. I mean loyalty is loyalty. You don't just jump off cos you're a bit disappointed.
We have come from a long way back as far as facilities and money and these all are definitely a part of success. Hopefully these are in the process of being rectified and we can look forward to better days. Cam Rose has been great for the club, as has Smorgo and even Eade I believe will one day be remembered as a special part of our history.
Hopefully the way this team plays and guys like Griffen and Cooney can earn your loyalty.
In the end it's your choice, you're not going to be swayed by what I say. Hopefully the club does enough to get you back on board.

Griffo
10-04-2008, 04:21 PM

More downs than ups, mate. I have bought many memberships over the years (not every year I'll admit) but enough is enough. Sorry if I don't your standards.

camwoof
10-04-2008, 04:28 PM
What would it take for you to actually purchase a membership?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-04-2008, 04:37 PM
With the new monthly system in place, it should be affordable for most. Obviously some people are exceptions for whatever reasons (Be it education, travelling whatever) but the majority shouldn't be able to use costs as an excuse. They've made it easy with the monthly payments and as people say, if you give up a couple of coffees and whatnot, you'll be right.

However, for those not choosing to based on poor previous performances - I don't understand. Sure, we've been a very frustrating side to watch over the years but how you can pull the plug I don't know. We're a much improved club from 10 years ago, even when we were playing finals.

The club has all the right people involved and financially we're starting to look OK, albeit a lot depends upon the members figure.

After the first three rounds of this year, how could you resist? It's not just the fact that we've won that's been impressive. It's how; fitter, bigger bodied & mentally stronger. The victory over The Saints proved all that and more. Plus, we didn't have Ray/Eagleton/Higgins/Williams/Everitt in our side - all in our best 22.

Come on guys, '08 is the first step to tasting September glory ... we're not that far away now, a lot closer than we have been for many years.

Griffo
10-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry guys, I don't want to stir up trouble.

As I said in an earlier post, I only signed up because I had reached my limit of views. I like to read what you all have to say but this is a subject that is stirring up the passions & I don't want to be the bad guy so I'll just shut up from now.

GOOD, I hear you all say.

Cheers

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 04:39 PM
but they'll just have to earn my membership money from now on.

Cheers.

Am I the only one who sees the incongruence of that statement??

Bulldog4life
10-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Am I the only one who sees the incongruence of that statement??

No I thought the same thing too. It's a shame Griffo feels that way and I'm glad I don't. Gee if we all felt that way we wouldn't have a Club!

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 05:07 PM
No I thought the same thing too. It's a shame Griffo feels that way and I'm glad I don't. Gee if we all felt that way we wouldn't have a Club!

As an administration we have been rudderless for so long and I think it has translated to poor on field performance for the majority of our existance.

Cam Rose and his board have established an admin who have brought in a new radical structure and way of thinking that has seen us become the hub of the west with the best facilities in the whole comp.

If the fish rots at the head, then our head is as healthy as it's ever been and I truly believe that it all starts from how the club is run and then it filters down.... I believe the review was the slap in the face we needed to remove the selfishness and complacency amongst everyone at the club.

With all the facilities and structures in place, it then becomes a question of developing the team, which we are doing slowly.

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 05:30 PM

If you were a true Western Bulldogs supporter you would have re-signed this year, but no all you do is complain that the club should earn our support by playing well. If everybody thought like that there would be no team to support. Also stop trying to justify it by saying they dont deserve your support after last year. I was very disapointed with how we finished off but I have still re-signed for this year. Just because we played bad last year does not mean that we will be a poor side this year. I want to be a member when we win a premiership not after we have won one and even if the club does go bad, it does not chane the fact that every club needs help from its supporters if it wants to survive.

The Underdog
10-04-2008, 05:58 PM

As I said in an earlier post, I only signed up because I had reached my limit of views. I like to read what you all have to say but this is a subject that is stirring up the passions & I don't want to be the bad guy so I'll just shut up from now.

Cheers

Stirring up passions is not necessarily a bad thing. If your comments had of had a less passionate response I think that would have been the worrying thing. You acknowledged in your original post that you thought the comments would be unpopular and they were. However this doesn't necessarily make you the bad guy. Don't feel like you need to shut up, I'm sure with over 50 years of Dogs watching there'll be threads on here for you to contribute to.
Obviously anything that takes a shot at the team is going to get some people's backs up, but that's part of what this is all about. Part of what we don't want this forum to be is reactionary or personal. It's all about discussing the team we love which is our common ground.

GVGjr
10-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Cheers.

I have heard that the shocking way we finished last season is a contributing factor in a lot of the lost members. You have every right to be fed up with it although because you know the score on how important memberships are to the club, how does withdrawing your support or commitment to the club actually change anything for the better?

If you aren't too fussed about them having to potentially relocate or merge then it won't bother you as much as it would the majority of supporters that I know.
I'm guessing but about 95% of the people here on WOOF were just as annoyed as you after the way we fell away last season but given that no team has a guaranteed success each year we still want to be apart of the club that means so much to us.

If there is enough people that withdraw their support in an attempt to send a message to the club I can only see it adding to the woes not rectifying anything.

mjp
10-04-2008, 06:29 PM
I buy my membership(s) every year. That is my choice. Whilst I am disappointed when others dont do the same, it doesn't really mean that they support the club less or are less 'passionate'. I likewise get disappointed when other members go to the footy with one purpose (seemingly) in mind - to scream abuse at their own players. Again, it doesn't mean they love the club any less.

There are two things in my life (there was three until a couple of months back) that I love unconditionally, and one of them is the Footscray Footy club (the other, obviously enough, is my family). I will always buy a membership because of this...I am lucky to be able to afford to do this, I am luckier to be able to afford to buy far more than I need or could ever use. I guess I could put this money towards music or red wine, but (no matter what my wife says) I dont love those things unconditionally.

Whilst I am disappointed Griffo has not re-upped his membership in 2008, he obviously has his reasons and they are very real ones to him. We are all different and all motivated by different things - I only hope the team performs well over the next couple of weeks and this causes him - and anyone else who needs convincing - to have a change of heart.

As for criticising other dogs supporters for not re-signing, well, I guess that is fair enough. But what is to say that at sometime in the future any one of us could find our commitment faltering...I dont know about each of you, but for me at least being hassled about not paying my membership would only strengthen my resolve not to do so...better to encourage the person with 'being there and being part of' the 2008 season when the team won 14 in a row, when Adam Cooney won the Brownlow, when Johnno kicked 5 goals or more in 7 consecutive games, when Josh Hill took the mark of the year (and the next two runners up!), when Mitch Hahn ran down Alwyn Davey from behind and burried him into the Telstra Dome turf, when Lindsay Gilbee had 8 bounces starting in the defensive goal-square and slotted one from 65m (on his left of course)....and on it goes.

2008 has the potential to be a tremendous year to be a Doggies fan...and a Doggies member...who wouldn't want to be part of that?

ledge
10-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Hey Griffo we feel the pain too, thats why we are back because we want to help the club fix the problem and as far as this year is going at the moment, they have fixed the problem!
Another thing Grffo, what happens if we do win the premiership after all these years, the heart will not be happy with the rest of you. Look at Geelong 2 years ago.
WE WANT YOU BACK!

Topdog
10-04-2008, 08:59 PM

Cheers

You aren't the bad guy in a lot of people's view.

I would like to know what we as a club would need to do this year to "earn" your membership?

If of course you don't mind me asking.

bornadog
10-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey Griffo we feel the pain too, thats why we are back because we want to help the club fix the problem and as far as this year is going at the moment, they have fixed the problem!
Another thing Grffo, what happens if we do win the premiership after all these years, the heart will not be happy with the rest of you. Look at Geelong 2 years ago.
WE WANT YOU BACK!

There are too many Griffo's out there, and I have come across them many times. My way of dealing with them is to not talk footy with them. The ones I have come across and argued with have been through work. In the weeks when the dogs win they are the first to come rushing up to talk footy on Monday morning. I just ignore them as I feel they only want to admit they are a dogs supporter when we win.

I understand the people that are financially strapped and can't afford a membership have a very good excuse, its the so called supporters, that do have the money but are not willing to buy the membership due to a bad performance. As I said earlier, you are not buying sheep stations at $14 bucks a month.

The meaning of the word membership, to me, is a long term thing, not a yearly ticket. Its a sense of belonging to be part of a club, however, too many think its a cheap entry to a game and thats the problem.

hujsh
10-04-2008, 09:09 PM
The idea that people won't buy a membership after a bad year is why i signed up this year

Mantis
10-04-2008, 10:19 PM
As with mjp I will financially support until they no longer exist. If my $25 a month or what ever it costs helps the club in some small way then it's all worth it. If the club failed to exist in it's present form I would be shattered. It would be like losing a family member.

Yeah Griffo I am sick of getting kicked in the guts too, but thats what you get when you barrack for the Dogs, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Yeah it would be great to have had some success along the way, but when that day comes, and it will, how good will it be to know that in some small way you have been a part of it.

Stick with them.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I thought that if they offer a pass into the rooms after the game for one of the next 6 to 8 weeks might get a few more bums of seats,

I didn't here much about the money from the gate takings against the Saints. My memory was that the club picked up an additional 100k for over 35,000 at home games

Is this the case still?

Woof Woof.

Mantis
10-04-2008, 10:31 PM
I thought that if they offer a pass into the rooms after the game for one of the next 6 to 8 weeks might get a few more bums of seats,

I didn't here much about the money from the gate takings against the Saints. My memory was that the club picked up an additional 100k for over 35,000 at home games

Is this the case still?

Woof Woof.

The club make a flat rate profit of I think 40K regardless of the crowd size.

ledge
10-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Is this the case still?

Woof Woof.

Thats nice, i think we get over 35000 a lot now when playing Melb teams

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 10:45 PM
It's a shame that people need some sort of incentive to buy a membership, I would have thought that getting to see your team 17 or 11 times a year, win, lose or draw is enough...Call me an optimist but regardless of our previous matches I never miss a match in Melbourne, I mean, I could miss seeing the mark of the year, Dale kicking a goal (one day, it will happen...and in Melbourne this time!) or most importantly a win. I am lucky enough that my family can afford a membership for me and I understand the financial difficulties that can occur to some, but I don't understand why Doggies fans don't join as members and yet attend several matches during the year, which is absolutely useless...seriously, it does nothing for us.

LostDoggy
10-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Just watching The Footy Show now, and even Gary Lyon and James Brayshaw are telling our lost members to get on board, and this is coming from two men very involved with their own clubs!

What have the "lost" members got to lose? (Ok, money, but it's still admission into our games!?)

Griffo
11-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Ok guys, you've just about convinced me.

If we win tonight I'm in. If we lose I'm......in.

I appreciate some of your comments that, whilst not agreeing with me, you were encouraging. Some of the others need to see both sides of an argument though.

I guess I just needed to get this off my chest.

Just for the record (and I'm probably in the poo again) I very rarely go to a dogs game these days as I follow my son who plays local footy. I only buy a membership to help out the club.

Cheers

aker39
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM

I appreciate some of your comments that, whilst not agreeing with me, you were encouraging. Some of the others need to see both sides of an argument though.

Just for the record (and I'm probably in the poo again) I very rarely go to a dogs game these days as I follow my son who plays local footy. I only buy a membership to help out the club.

Cheers

Griffo, there is nothing wrong with the fact that you can't go to see the dogs because you support your son.

If you happen to buy a membership, then you are the sort of person we are after. Someone who can't get to many games, but still loves the club enough to support it financially through the good times and the bad.

Bulldog4life
11-04-2008, 10:53 AM

Cheers

Good on you Griffo. :)

1eyedog
11-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Cheers

Good on ya mate. I can't get to many games either as I work Saturday nights and play footy on Saturday afternoons but I bought the membership to support the club. It is indeed an exciting year to be supporting the club. I think the club has shown that it is a serious chance this year (especially if it plays as well as it has these past three rounds). Memberships are the lifeblood of any club, they not only inject economy into the operations they also tie the club together as one. You don't think the players know how many members we have? I'm sure they all do and I'm sure they take heart and find strength in the fact that 30,000 (hopefully) troops stand behind them as they push towards the 2008 grand final. Memberships are the fabric that binds a club, without them there would be no club and I for one would be devastated by that. I'm sure, you too after 50 years of supporting would be devastated by that as well. Thanks for renewing your membership, the dogs will repay you tenfold I am sure of it.

Topdog
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Cheers

Son is far more important to watch, you certainly aren't alone in that one.

My mate came to 9 Dogs games last year after refusing a membership cos he didn't know which games he could get to. This year he has one.

Sockeye Salmon
11-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Cheers

Nothing wrong with following your son, that's fantastic. Heaps of parents couldn't be bothered.

ledge
11-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Griffo, 50 years of following the dogs, thats one hell of a run, time to make it 51. Is that from birth or did you become a supporter later?
Hey you have to admit hard to give up something you have been doing that long.
Thanks for contributing on here, its a good talking point from someone of your experience.
I have clocked up about 35 years following them, and admittedly on and off, but i have always been here when we were in trouble.
I take my own little pride in knowing i came back on board after our bad finish to last year as i think it means i havent jumped on a bandwagon, although after the first 3 games its looking great.
I now intend to stay on as my kids are older and its back to my old loves.

Griffo
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Griffo, 50 years of following the dogs, thats one hell of a run, time to make it 51. Is that from birth or did you become a supporter later?
Hey you have to admit hard to give up something you have been doing that long.
Thanks for contributing on here, its a good talking point from someone of your experience.
I have clocked up about 35 years following them, and admittedly on and off, but i have always been here when we were in trouble.
I take my own little pride in knowing i came back on board after our bad finish to last year as i think it means i havent jumped on a bandwagon, although after the first 3 games its looking great.
I now intend to stay on as my kids are older and its back to my old loves.

Hi Ledge,

I started following the dogs in about grade 3. My best mate & his family were all dogs & I just latched on to them. Before that I sort of barracked for Pies Roys & (I HATE to say it) tiges.

As far as 50years goes, sometimes I think I know what a drug addict feels like.

PS; My son follows the pies. He used to be a dog but as most of my family follow the pies they got to him after the 1990 premiership. The next year when we were on top of collingwood at one stage, he asked if he could change back. I said you can if you like but whoever you barrack for you have to stick with them. So he stuck.

Maybe I should have remembered my own words before I had my gripe yesterday.

ledge
11-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Ledge,

I started following the dogs in about grade 3. My best mate & his family were all dogs & I just latched on to them. Before that I sort of barracked for Pies Roys & (I HATE to say it) tiges.

As far as 50years goes, sometimes I think I know what a drug addict feels like.

PS; My son follows the pies. He used to be a dog but as most of my family follow the pies they got to him after the 1990 premiership. The next year when we were on top of collingwood at one stage, he asked if he could change back. I said you can if you like but whoever you barrack for you have to stick with them. So he stuck.

Maybe I should have remembered my own words before I had my gripe yesterday.
I started a thread a while ago on how we became bulldog supporters, think would be good for you to add to it.

LostDoggy
11-04-2008, 02:29 PM
My Grandfather is 93 not out and he has a membership all be it a senior citizens one and only get to go to the dogs vs lions game but he is still a member. I took him to the Adelaide game in rd 1 set him up in micky mouse seats on level 2 he's still going on about it how good it was to see the boys play.

ledge
11-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Hope he gets the ton up and is still going then! Rekon he might see a premiership or 2.

LostDoggy
11-04-2008, 03:21 PM
And a letter from the queen if we are still with the commonwealth

hujsh
11-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Cheers

How olds your son?

It's pretty tough to get to see any AFL matches on Sunday isn't it?

Griffo
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
He's old enough to know that I don't spend all of my weekends going to footy games.

Have you got a problem with that?

hujsh
11-04-2008, 05:20 PM
He's old enough to know that I don't spend all of my weekends going to footy games.

Ummmm...did you think i was being sarcastic?:confused:

If you did no probs. I'm playing footy and we start at like 2:00 so I'm saying it can be pretty hard.

And if you buy a membership what do i care if you go or not? It's your business and you've done your part for the club.

(If im being sarcastic i use this guy>:rolleyes:)

mjp
11-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Just sounded like Hujsh was trying to have a conversation Griffo! For example, if he asked me how old my son was, I would say:

'I have 2 sons - one 6 (playing AusKick and basketball) and one who is only one. I also have a daughter, who does netball and little aths. What about you?'

Has this become the thread for paranoia or what?

1eyedog
11-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Sorry mate, but I don't like your vibe. Don't really care what you think of that but you are making me feel uncomfortable being on here. Everyone including me have tried to be positive regarding your gripe with the dogs but If you are going to flip out at people asking simple questions maybe you shouldn't be on here, sorry if these words offend anyone, just how I feel.

Chicago1
11-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I would give anything to be able to go to another game. I took going to games for granted for 25 years.

I'll be getting my membership for the 31st time next month. Sorry, but the Chicago Cubs got my money this month. And my cat, Jordan, will once again get a Pet Membership, even though he wanted to join Geelong this year, the little bandwagoner! :mad: :p

ledge
13-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Does anyone know last years match day members and total members because i just checked website and total members is over 28000 but match day is appr 24500 is this ratio about the same as last year?
and what are the 3500 difference?
It seems to be climbing now, after Essendon win im sure it will jump a bit now.
Didnt we have 26000 match day last year, so how many total was it? or was that both?

bornadog
14-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know last years match day members and total members because i just checked website and total members is over 28000 but match day is appr 24500 is this ratio about the same as last year?
and what are the 3500 difference?
It seems to be climbing now, after Essendon win im sure it will jump a bit now.
Didnt we have 26000 match day last year, so how many total was it? or was that both?

Last year we were just over 28,000 match day and just over 32000 with all tickets.

The actual figure of where we are at is a bit up in the air. On another website, one of the guys has rung the call centre and they say we are sitting on around 26,000 match day, yet the WB website shows 24500.

lowedog
14-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I'll be honest guys. I havent got my memberships yet. The reason are many and varied, but it certainly doesnt have anything to do with last years fall from grace. I've had a very tough year at work, and even though it was only costing me $38 per month, just before Xmas, we didn't have enough funds in the direct debit. This being the case they actually cancelled the debit, and didn't try to contact me regarding the money. My gripe is that the club made no attempt and still havent made an attempt to speak to me. We're talking about 2 adults, 1 junior and a born a bulldog. I'm still a little shitty they just cancelled the whole thing without even a phone call.

The Coon Dog
14-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll be honest guys. I havent got my memberships yet. The reason are many and varied, but it certainly doesnt have anything to do with last years fall from grace. I've had a very tough year at work, and even though it was only costing me $38 per month, just before Xmas, we didn't have enough funds in the direct debit. This being the case they actually cancelled the debit, and didn't try to contact me regarding the money. My gripe is that the club made no attempt and still havent made an attempt to speak to me. We're talking about 2 adults, 1 junior and a born a bulldog. I'm still a little shitty they just cancelled the whole thing without even a phone call.

The old Mexican Stand Off!

It annoys me how things like this just slip through the cracks, easy to say it shouldn't happen, but alas it does.

From an outsiders point of view it's easy to apportion blame & point the finger. What good's that going to do?

Easiest solution I reckon. Ask yourself what's more important to you, your pride at feeling ignored, or your love of the club?

Make the first move lowedog, you'll feel better!

Please don't take offence at my suggestion lowedog, I'm not in your situation & don't know how you feel & don't want to be seen telling you what to do, just a suggestion from someone who doesn't want to see the club lose 4 members.

Raw Toast
14-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Cheers

Appreciate your posts Griffo, and really glad to have you on board (as a member of the Dogs and WOOF).

lowedog
14-04-2008, 11:49 PM
The old Mexican Stand Off!

It annoys me how things like this just slip through the cracks, easy to say it shouldn't happen, but alas it does.

From an outsiders point of view it's easy to apportion blame & point the finger. What good's that going to do?

Easiest solution I reckon. Ask yourself what's more important to you, your pride at feeling ignored, or your love of the club?

Make the first move lowedog, you'll feel better!

Please don't take offence at my suggestion lowedog, I'm not in your situation & don't know how you feel & don't want to be seen telling you what to do, just a suggestion from someone who doesn't want to see the club lose 4 members.

Wasn't so much as having a crack at the club, more talking about my personal situation. Paying the mortgage and feeding the billies is the main priority here. I just wish the club might have notified me earlier than just sending out an invoice, telling me i owed tyhe full amount. I'll call them when i've got the bickies, they'll just have to wait, thats all!

BulldogBelle
15-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Just signed my two nephews up (4 and a 10 month old).

If anyone else has some relo's or friend's kids that follow the Dogs or even if they don't sign them up now.

Help get that membership ticking over and maybe make some life long members/supporters.

hujsh
17-04-2008, 11:08 PM
They're getting on board on the Footy Show it seems.

Showing the number with Johnno on the pannel and Gilbee Williams and Higgins are on the phones.

Footy talk is from Footscray as well.

Hopefully we get a boost.

LostDoggy
17-04-2008, 11:30 PM
They're getting on board on the Footy Show it seems.

Showing the number with Johnno on the pannel and Gilbee Williams and Higgins are on the phones.

Footy talk is from Footscray as well.

Hopefully we get a boost.

I think it's a disgrace that we need the Footy Show to give us a massive plug to try and get people on board. Anyone would think that we're on our knees on and off the field struggling to survive. It reminds me of when a few players went on the show wearing other club guernseys. I for one am embarrassed.

Dry Rot
17-04-2008, 11:52 PM
I just signed up again, but registered a formal protest.

No wonder numbers are down, when they treat many members like shit.

LostDoggy
18-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I just signed up again, but registered a formal protest.

No wonder numbers are down, when they treat many members like shit.

How so?? I've been a member for 25 years and have always been treated well...

Dry Rot
18-04-2008, 12:11 AM
How so?? I've been a member for 25 years and have always been treated well...

For some time they've known that many members couldn't use their website. In another forum, Rose gave a commitment to fix it a few years ago.

They did nothing, indeed now it's worse.

It's 2008, and their site should be more important than ever. Instead, a good number of members are shut out.

It's a bloody disgrace.

hujsh
18-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Johhno said that the phones are of the hook but you would expect that

LostDoggy
18-04-2008, 12:19 AM
It's a bloody disgrace that we need to beg people to join up each year and it takes a telethon on the footy show for people to pull their finger out.

No issue with people who genuinely cannot afford it, but for these clowns who wait until the club has to beg for it on national tv, it should not take that for people to sign up

BulldogBelle
18-04-2008, 02:39 AM
The Footy Show did a lot of advertising tonight trying to sell Bulldog memberships. They said that they had Gilby, Williams and one other there taking calls.

So I rang up to buy an extra membership.

I rang 1800 godogs

I got a recorded message such that if I pressed 1, I would be transferred to membership subscriptions.

So I press 1 and am transferred to membership subscriptions.

Then a voice comes over the line saying that I rang out of business hours and to ring between 9 and 5.

Bunch of clowns running the administration. Surely a primary school kid could do better. I am embarrassed to be associated with them.

This is the second time that I have tried to buy a membership and just pure administrative incompetence has prevented it.

How many thousands of members are we short? And why?

LostDoggy
18-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Griffo, Dig deep mate!
we all want you on our team.....

Crizza
18-04-2008, 12:02 PM
I have my membership already as does my 2 year old daughter; however my wife who is a passionate Sydney fan, handed down from her hard core-South Melbourne parents, does not have a Dogs Membership.

Last night watching the Footy Show, i decided to take action and rang up 1300 GO DOGS.

Granted the wait was 20minutes (i was secretly happy with that, as it meant they were busy), i wasn't lucky enough to speak to one of the boys, but i brought my wife a membership.

This may seem like nothing, but is serious grounds for divorce.

I feel the Boys owe me a Premiership for the suffering coming my way if my wife ever finds out, which she probably will when the package addressed to her from Whitten Oval arrives in 1-2weeks

Go Dogs.

bornadog
18-04-2008, 02:44 PM
I have my membership already as does my 2 year old daughter; however my wife who is a passionate Sydney fan, handed down from her hard core-South Melbourne parents, does not have a Dogs Membership.

Last night watching the Footy Show, i decided to take action and rang up 1300 GO DOGS.

Granted the wait was 20minutes (i was secretly happy with that, as it meant they were busy), i wasn't lucky enough to speak to one of the boys, but i brought my wife a membership.

This may seem like nothing, but is serious grounds for divorce.

I feel the Boys owe me a Premiership for the suffering coming my way if my wife ever finds out, which she probably will when the package addressed to her from Whitten Oval arrives in 1-2weeks

Go Dogs.

Well done.

ledge
18-04-2008, 03:36 PM
So is it possible to take team allegiance to court for a divorce? could solve a lot of problems!!
I am guessing you will be making tea for months to make up for it!
But maybe you can get in the good books and tell her if the dogs win the premiership she was part of it!
Good luck Crizza!

LostDoggy
18-04-2008, 07:54 PM
according to the Bulldogs website we now have 25,109 members.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-04-2008, 09:01 PM

Cheers.

I can't understand how in the same breath as you say you haven't rejoined cause you're disappointed, yet you claim Rose is the BEST thing to happen to our club?
I mean on the one hand you're passionate enough of a barracker to be delighted with the guy whose trying his darndest to rejuvenate and orchestrate the long time survival of our club, yet you are not passionate enough to continue to be a member and actually make a vital contribution by doing so in helping Rose achive this vision.

This just boggles my mind.

I can understand someone who professes to love the club, not buying a membership due to financial constraints, but I don't understand why a person who professes to love the club and has the financial ability to show that support tanglibly by buying a membership, but chooses not to on the basis of being disappointed with the clubs performance.

Griffo
if the club doesn't get members, it ceases to exist...
I guess the upside for you is there won't be a club for you to get disappointed with.

LostDoggy
19-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Every team is going to have bad times and good times. You can't jump off at the first sign of trouble and then jump back on when the team is killing it. Correction, you can do just that because we've witnessed it this year. This is the last statement I'm going to make on membership this year.

If you can afford it, buy a membership. If you don't buy a membership, our Club will cease to exist in the not too distant future.

Have Richmond had on field success in the last 20 or so years? The answer is very little, however they are still around as a Club simply because there fans are loyal and sign up as members.

Thank You

The Underdog
19-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Have Richmond had on field success in the last 20 or so years? The answer is very little, however they are still around as a Club simply because there fans are loyal and sign up as members.

That and they need something to cut up and throw in the bin in July

bornadog
19-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Every team is going to have bad times and good times. You can't jump off at the first sign of trouble and then jump back on when the team is killing it. Correction, you can do just that because we've witnessed it this year. This is the last statement I'm going to make on membership this year.

If you can afford it, buy a membership. If you don't buy a membership, our Club will cease to exist in the not too distant future.

Thank You

However, for the amount of support they could have, they struggle to get to 30,000 members. If they had on field success, they would break 40,000. They have a massive supporter base that are sick and tired of the under achievements of the club.

ledge
20-04-2008, 07:54 PM
I must say how impressed i was when i walked past the bulldog shop outside telstra and saw them very busy, talked to the lady there she said they were having quite a few sign ups today.
(Richmond game)

GVGjr
20-04-2008, 08:09 PM
I must say how impressed i was when i walked past the bulldog shop outside telstra and saw them very busy, talked to the lady there she said they were having quite a few sign ups today.
(Richmond game)

I reckon they picked up over 200 members. I watched the tent for a while and there was a steady stream. Nothing going on the the Tigers tent at all.

Sockeye Salmon
20-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I reckon they picked up over 200 members. I watched the tent for a while and there was a steady stream. Nothing going on the the Tigers tent at all.

I walked past the membership tent about 1:50 - ours was 3 deep and there was not a soul at Richmonds.

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 10:02 PM
There was a kid sitting in the cheersquad next to me today, would have been about 12-13 something like that, and he said he brought his 1st ever membership 3 days ago, we asked him why he decided to join the cheersquad, and he said hed been to a couple of games through school(im guessing backyard memberships) and he loved the games and loved watching the cheersqaud, so he wanted to join and have fun.

Hopefully more people have joined up today, and more during the week and into next week.

I think the cheersquad may be doing a ring a round with maybe some players as well, on tuesday night, not sure if this is still going ahead of not, but if you know anyone who was a member, and they arnt now, then warn them that on tuesday night they may just have a player ringing them up on tuesday night.

GVGjr
20-04-2008, 10:10 PM
ed up today, and more during the week and into next week.

I think the cheersquad may be doing a ring a round with maybe some players as well, on tuesday night, not sure if this is still going ahead of not, but if you know anyone who was a member, and they arnt now, then warn them that on tuesday night they may just have a player ringing them up on tuesday night.

There is a team of people being assembled to contact all the missing members. Players, past players and volunteers working from a South Melbourne venue.
Barry Hall (not the slugger) from the board mentioned it. He also said something about sporting clubs from all over have contacted the Dogs to come and have a look at the ELC.

He also mentioned something about more money being spent on the ELC to cater for a number of womens sports

He was very clear though about the impacts to the club with these lost members

LostDoggy
20-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Imo this should have been done a couple of weeks ago, not 6 weeks into the season.

But hey if we dont try and get the members to sign up then they probably wont, hopefully with people getting calls from current and past players they may jsut rethink about why they havent become a member yet and sign up.

We can only hope.

GVGjr
20-04-2008, 10:25 PM
]Imo this should have been done a couple of weeks ago, not 6 weeks into the season.
[/B]
But hey if we dont try and get the members to sign up then they probably wont, hopefully with people getting calls from current and past players they may jsut rethink about why they havent become a member yet and sign up.

We can only hope.

Yes we should have seen this coming. It's at least 4 weeks late but you could argue that the bells should have been ringing 4 weeks before the start of the season even though I know the club was trying like crazy to avoid any negative messages been discussed in the media.

katemeehan
20-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I love that idea of getting players to call.
Get a whole swag of the playing group to ring around!
How can anyone be so heartless to say no to a person playing their guts out for the team they wont even care to buy a membership for?
Peer pressure at its finest

Scotty West was funny on Before the Game, making light of how we are pretty much begging for members every time we're on air. And then nodding to his kids when they asked them if they had memberships.

ledge
22-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Well we now have 25500 game day members and 30000 in total, so its still going up.

GVGjr
22-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Well we now have 25500 game day members and 30000 in total, so its still going up.

And the special squad is working tonight to chase the lost dogs as well.

I think they had a good day membership wise on Sunday and I even heard that Saturday was OK as well.

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I have a 17 yo son who is not really interested in footy, goes to the occasional match, so hadn't renewed his membership from a couple of years back (plus if he has a membership then 19 yo wants an Essendon membership:mad:) . Got a phone call from Josh Hill tonight and 17yo is now a member again. Just can't tell the 19yo:(

hujsh
22-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I have a 17 yo son who is not really interested in footy, goes to the occasional match, so hadn't renewed his membership from a couple of years back (plus if he has a membership then 19 yo wants an Essendon membership:mad:) . Got a phone call from Josh Hill tonight and 17yo is now a member again. Just can't tell the 19yo:(

Doing a good job at balancing a delicate situation (make sure he doesn't find out:p)

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Doing a good job at balancing a delicate situation (make sure he doesn't find out:p)

Yeah, I keep living in hope that he will turn away from the dark side:(

LostDoggy
22-04-2008, 11:22 PM

Great to see Joshy Hill getting another member signed up, and great to see you did it as well. Joshy was sitting just a little from me, i had lynchy right near me as well, and i had my boy Will straight across from me.

I was paired up with Doogs, we managed to get 6 signed up. Aker and his partener( a freind of mine) managed to sign up 17, so did Bobby although he was claiming about 20 something haha.

I think we signed up around another 200 tonight, maybe a few more or a few less, but great to see the night wasnt a complete waste.

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I keep living in hope that he will turn away from the dark side:(

You should have kicked him out of home when he was 7. That would have brought him round.

FrediKanoute
23-04-2008, 11:14 AM
I bought another membership on the weekend.......my GF is now a member :D

Topdog
23-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Great to see Joshy Hill getting another member signed up, and great to see you did it as well. Joshy was sitting just a little from me, i had lynchy right near me as well, and i had my boy Will straight across from me.

I was paired up with Doogs, we managed to get 6 signed up. Aker and his partener( a freind of mine) managed to sign up 17, so did Bobby although he was claiming about 20 something haha.

I think we signed up around another 200 tonight, maybe a few more or a few less, but great to see the night wasnt a complete waste.

Good work. Very happy to hear that news.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I can out myself as a lost dog. Sick of thinking of my beloved reserved seat sitting empty on level 2 last season...

When I called to cancel, the membership people were good, but I suppose if they were switched on they could have tried to sell me a cheaper distance package... which is what I should look into now.

The current and past players calling is a great initiative. A call from Danny Southern or Bob Murphy and I'd renew my wife and sign up my unborn child.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 01:14 PM
The price is right...I will look into a country membership this afternoon. Thanks. I will also try and find someone to give the membership to since I can't attend matches.

One of the things I enjoy getting from the club each year is my membership card with my name completely stuffed up. One year my first name was misspelt (easy enough), the next they had my surname as my first name. In 2006 they had the wrong gender (Mrs) (though the right marital status, by luck), the wrong order of names and the misspelt first name still there. Hilarious!

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 01:14 PM
I can out myself as a lost dog. Sick of thinking of my beloved reserved seat sitting empty on level 2 last season...

When I called to cancel, the membership people were good, but I suppose if they were switched on they could have tried to sell me a cheaper distance package... which is what I should look into now.

The current and past players calling is a great initiative. A call from Danny Southern or Bob Murphy and I'd renew my wife and sign up my unborn child.

Pm Gary or Barry (not Harry or Larry) your details and I'm sure it would happen.

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Do you think the club now should focus on turning the non ticketed members into fully ticketed members next year somehow. Maybe offer them a bonus something for coverting next year.

Would be good for the club to do that, but i know a lot of people who sign their animals up, just to give the club a bit of money, of course they dont count to the official numbers, but hey any ideas of getting new and upgraded members are great.

ledge
23-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Would be good for the club to do that, but i know a lot of people who sign their animals up, just to give the club a bit of money, of course they dont count to the official numbers, but hey any ideas of getting new and upgraded members are great.

This might sound a bit wierd but why dont we form an allegiance with The Victory, i mean its not competition as we play at different times of the year, some sort of thing where if you become a member of both clubs you get maybe $10 off each membership or a free club scarf from both..etc....
There are a lot of supporters who follow both.
Increases both memberships and you form another supporter base, could even link websites and things.
Is this a stupid idea?

LostDoggy
23-04-2008, 07:18 PM
No its not a stupid idea. No idea trying to get new members is stupid imo.

Not sure if this would work, and i cant say id go out and buy a victory membership(just cause i have no interest in soccer what so ever, unless its Lucas Neill or Timmy Cahill), but hey if worked so it would increase membership numbers then why not.

hujsh
23-04-2008, 09:17 PM
This might sound a bit wierd but why dont we form an allegiance with The Victory, i mean its not competition as we play at different times of the year, some sort of thing where if you become a member of both clubs you get maybe $10 off each membership or a free club scarf from both..etc....
Increases both memberships and you form another supporter base, could even link websites and things.
Is this a stupid idea?

Good idea IMO.

If a few soccer members join our club and become interesting in our team then great.

But if one day they change the schedule so that we clash more often I'd hate to loose members to the Victory because they can only afford one

Sockeye Salmon
23-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Arn't Melbourne already doing something like this with Victory, Tigers and Storm?

ledge
23-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Arn't Melbourne already doing something like this with Victory, Tigers and Storm?

If they are, they are doing the worst job in history.

bornadog
23-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Victory opted out of Team Melbourne.

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 12:49 AM
If people are buying memberships to support the club, but don't really have anyone to give them too, and other die hard former members are feeling the interest rate/inflation pinch and can't afford their memberships this year - can't we meet somewhere in the middle? Leave the memberships for them at the tent to use on the day or something? Anyone got any clever ideas?

westdog54
24-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Is this a stupid idea?

I did a strategic management unit for my business course at uni and proposed a very similar thing between the Dogs and the Storm in a write up for my final exam.

Was lucky to pass the unit.

Then again I thought my lecturer was a dud anyway.

ledge
24-04-2008, 12:14 PM
I did a strategic management unit for my business course at uni and proposed a very similar thing between the Dogs and the Storm in a write up for my final exam.

Problem with that is both sides play in the same months, thats why i suggested the Victory.
There are other sports too we could look at.
Hasnt the netball association just started up a new national comp, country football teams have had their own netball team for years.
This way we are attracting a female side of the club as well.

Sockeye Salmon
24-04-2008, 12:25 PM

I was studying business at VU and my assignment was on the company I was working for. I proposed that the company was ripe for a buy-out by a major international.

I failed the assignment then got the sack when we were bought out by a major international.

ledge
24-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I was studying business at VU and my assignment was on the company I was working for. I proposed that the company was ripe for a buy-out by a major international.

I failed the assignment then got the sack when we were bought out by a major international.

Maybe you can do a study on the bulldogs winning the premiership!
I dont care if you fail the subject.

bornadog
24-04-2008, 01:15 PM
I am really cynical about these supposed lost dogs and the numbers the club is quoting.
There will be a number of people that have not renewed but are they in the thousands as has been reported, i.e. over 6000. That is a lot of people. Do these numbers include non match day members, such as the free give a ways to VU students, or arm chair members, or people that buy two memberships to help the club but have not done that this year, or double ups in the data base?
In any case, to be sitting at around 25000 members after a brilliant start to the season, it’s a worry

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 01:51 PM

That's very funny

You should have gone back to VU and suggested they replace your lecturer with you.

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 05:43 PM
I am really cynical about these supposed lost dogs and the numbers the club is quoting.
There will be a number of people that have not renewed but are they in the thousands as has been reported, i.e. over 6000. That is a lot of people. Do these numbers include non match day members, such as the free give a ways to VU students, or arm chair members, or people that buy two memberships to help the club but have not done that this year, or double ups in the data base?
In any case, to be sitting at around 25000 members after a brilliant start to the season, it’s a worry

Not sure how many lost dogs there are out there, but on tuesday night when we had to do a ring around, each player had a pile of numbers to ring, there are a heap of people out there that havent renewed, might not be 6000 or so, but would be over 4000 at least i reckon.

The Coon Dog
24-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Not sure how many lost dogs there are out there, but on tuesday night when we had to do a ring around, each player had a pile of numbers to ring, there are a heap of people out there that havent renewed, might not be 6000 or so, but would be over 4000 at least i reckon.

Thanks for the insight too M27, be interesting to find out just what the reasons are that people haven't rejoined.

As I see it they can fall into:

a) Finances
b) Unhappy with 2007
c) Deceased
d) Sympathy membership is with North in 2008

Can't think of another reason.

hujsh
24-04-2008, 06:02 PM

We've picked up momentum. It's trying to get the 'pendulum of excitement' back to enthusiastic that gave us that slow start.

LostDoggy
24-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the insight too M27, be interesting to find out just what the reasons are that people haven't rejoined.

As I see it they can fall into:

a) Finances
b) Unhappy with 2007
c) Deceased
d) Sympathy membership is with North in 2008

Can't think of another reason.

Most of the calls i made the people said they couldnt afford it(which is true with a lot of people) or they were traveling.

Scott Welsh did have someone on the other end of the line tell him im not signing up, not with the way you kick, then hung up on him, pretty rude if you ask me.

Bobby Murphy had to ring Tim Walsh's grandma, and she said no because my grandson is not longer on the list. I think it was Bobby anyway. Bob also signed up Crossys grandma.

Peter street could only get his mums dog signed up.

And one of the boys had to ring up the aunty of Cam Faulkner.

Boydy rang up Shaggys mum because she hasnt even signed up.

LostDoggy
27-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Does anbody know how many members we signed up last night?

LostDog
28-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I went to the Game Saturday night travelled from tassie to get there, it was obvious we had 95% of the crowd 29000+ were doggie supporters

Nothing was happening at the membership tent and the service from the merchendise tent was not real helpful.
Can anybody tell me what they recieved in the membership pack all i got was a scarfe and a membership card

bornadog
28-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I went to the Game Saturday night travelled from tassie to get there, it was obvious we had 95% of the crowd 29000+ were doggie supporters

Nothing was happening at the membership tent and the service from the merchendise tent was not real helpful.
Can anybody tell me what they recieved in the membership pack all i got was a scarfe and a membership card

Plus a key ring, Fridge magnet and some stickers.

Topdog
28-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I got a cap, key ring, fridge magnet.

I signed up before the first game.

1eyedog
28-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Cap, keyring and stickers

GVGjr
28-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Did anyone see Smorgon's crack at the non members?

I understand what he is saying but this isn't a good way of convincing those who are considering it. The drop the pants to our ankles comment is over the top.

This from the Age

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon last night hit out at the AFL club's former members who had not renewed their support in 2008, saying the club had moved on and it would not "drop our pants to our ankles and plead with these people to sign up memberships".

Smorgon said the club's membership was approaching 26,000, but the number was still short of the record tally of 28,725 posted last year, despite the best efforts of the Bulldogs to encourage all fans to sign up again.

"To the people who are still upset about the performance last year, to the people who say we've got too many night games, too many day games, 'I don't like the way the coach is lining up the team', well, we've left you behind," he said before last night's game against West Coast at Telstra Dome.

"We as a club cannot kowtow, we are not going to drop our pants to our ankles and plead with these people to sign up memberships."

Bulldog4life
28-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Did anyone see Smorgon's crack at the non members?

I understand what he is saying but this isn't a good way of convincing those who are considering it. The drop the pants to our ankles comment is over the top.

This from the Age

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon last night hit out at the AFL club's former members who had not renewed their support in 2008, saying the club had moved on and it would not "drop our pants to our ankles and plead with these people to sign up memberships".

Smorgon said the club's membership was approaching 26,000, but the number was still short of the record tally of 28,725 posted last year, despite the best efforts of the Bulldogs to encourage all fans to sign up again.

"To the people who are still upset about the performance last year, to the people who say we've got too many night games, too many day games, 'I don't like the way the coach is lining up the team', well, we've left you behind," he said before last night's game against West Coast at Telstra Dome.

"We as a club cannot kowtow, we are not going to drop our pants to our ankles and plead with these people to sign up memberships."

Might be over the top but how long do we have to beg these members from last year to join. Personally I'm sick of hearing it and you would think after all the publicity that there has been in regards to our "lost members" plus the wins that we have had if they haven't joined now how many actually will?
Rather than beg in the future I would love it if we could convince people that it is a privelege to join the Western Bulldogs.....it'll probably never happen but just imagine if that type of marketing worked.....

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Current Match Day Members: 25,946
Total Members: 30,952

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-04-2008, 08:35 PM
I was not impressed with Smorgo on this... I'm just not sure how this sort of statement can help the club. Better to say nothing than give non signing members a serve. not to say many of them don't deserve it, but there is nothing to be gained from the club giving them a bake.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Well begging and pleading hasn't done the trick. I am glad he said it before we belted the Eagles by 60 points - might make some of them think.

LostDoggy
28-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Give them a bake. The Dogs need a bit of fight. We are not a basket case and we don't have to go cap in hand every time something goes a bit awry. Smorgo is just sick and tired, as most of us are, of being seen as some sort of charity case. How do you think the playing group feels when they have to beg people who claim to support the club to join up? Does nothing for the brand, I can tell you that much.

Fact is, we have one of the best playing lists going around, moving into some of the best facilities in the comp, coached by a top-liner, and there is a HUGE undercurrent of local pride and goodwill being generated by our community services and facility upgrade out West that will translate in the coming years into a groundswell of grassroots support. The brand has some real currency and is building momentum, and the playing list and hard-core members have bigger fish to fry.

As Smorgo says, we're leaving these other so-called "supporters" behind.

LostDog
05-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Plus a key ring, Fridge magnet and some stickers.

i emailed admin, and told them i was not happy with the membership department with the pack i recieved only the scarfe,

they sent something off to membership and today i recieved a hat and keyring to go with my scarfe.
Though I am happy i am a little dissapointed that i didnt recieve any stickers i love displaying my membership on my car not many dogs supporters her in tassie

bornadog
05-05-2008, 06:15 PM
i emailed admin, and told them i was not happy with the membership department with the pack i recieved only the scarfe,

they sent something off to membership and today i recieved a hat and keyring to go with my scarfe.
Though I am happy i am a little dissapointed that i didnt recieve any stickers i love displaying my membership on my car not many dogs supporters her in tassie

PM me your address and I will send you some as I have three membership packages and plenty stickers.

ledge
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Good to see the membership is creeping up to 27000.I looked at few other club websites and think they post all members dont think they separate gameday, if thats the case we look ok compared to some other clubs