PDA

View Full Version : Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs off course

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2023, 12:45 AM
Kane Cornes in The Age: The damning signs that show Beveridge is steering the Dogs

Luke Beveridge and Leon Cameron graduated to AFL senior coaching from the Alastair Clarkson finishing school, a year apart.

Cameron went to Greater Western Sydney in 2013 and ? as is often said ? was handed the keys to the Ferrari, a high-performance machine he could not drive to success.

Beveridge joined the Western Bulldogs in 2014 and two years later ? with a patched-up, banged up unit starting from sixth on the finals grid ? won a drought-breaking premiership.

Now, after a refit of the Bulldogs squad, Beveridge is living Cameron?s overwhelming challenge. He has a shiny new Mercedes, and the tank is full of high-octane fuel, but the vehicle?s GPS is broken.

In nine seasons as senior coach, Cameron could not craft a premiership-winning blueprint to match the extraordinary talent and speed the Giants possessed. He took the so-called orange tsunami ? that dynamic game plan that Cameron strangely lost faith in ? to five finals series, culminating in the 2019 grand final disappointment. The critics won out.

Beveridge is now in Cameron?s seat as the driver challenged to navigate a powerful engine many other AFL coaches would be envious to drive. The horrendous opening to the season shows Beveridge is steering the Mercedes way off course.

The AFL?s best coaches have left Beveridge in their dust.

The Western Bulldogs cannot defend. Since winning the 2016 premiership, they have ranked in the bottom nine teams for conceding a score from an opposition inside-50. To put this into perspective, 15 out of the past 18 premiers have ranked top six in this indicator.

More damning, the Bulldogs were ranked 15th of 18 for defending the opposition?s ball movement from the defensive 50 last season. Despite a full pre-season to address this glaring weakness, Beveridge could not devise a plan to stop Melbourne on last Saturday. The Demons scored 50 points from their defensive 50; the league average is 12.

The Bulldogs? list wants for nothing. It has the league?s best midfield, led by captain and four-time All-Australian Marcus Bontempelli. Tom Liberatore, Adam Treloar, Bailey Smith and Jack Macrae are prolific and young ruckman Tim English is elite. Half-backs Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale are All-Australians, and Aaron Naughton is one of the game?s best key forwards.

Beveridge once faced a void with key-position defenders, but after claiming Liam Jones as a free agent and being gifted father-son wunderkind Sam Darcy in 2021, he no longer has this excuse.

Adding to Beveridge?s woes is his inability to halt the opposition?s momentum. In the 2021 grand final, the Bulldogs led by 19 points midway through the third quarter but lost the game by 74 points. Melbourne kicked 12 unanswered goal, and Beveridge?s Mercedes went way off course.

The script was repeated in last year?s elimination final against Fremantle. The Bulldogs coughed up a 41-point lead to lose by 13 points.

Josh Dunkley won the Western Bulldogs? best and fairest award last season after announcing he would leave to join the Brisbane Lions. When comparing Brisbane?s pre-season training to his former club, Dunkley noted that the Bulldogs hardly ran in the pre-season. Could a lack of fitness be a reason for their fadeouts in big games? Melbourne kicked eight goals to the Bulldogs? four in the second half on Saturday night.

Adding to the club?s troubles is Beveridge?s repeated bizarre public comments.

Before the 2021 grand final, he fired back at criticism of Treloar with this: ?If you?re going to fail in life, fail at something that is noble. Fail at something you can dust yourself off and be proud that you had a go.

?If you?re failing at trying to pull people apart and bring people down, like two or three journalists did this week, I don?t know how people around you can live with you, how they can lie in bed with you, how they can look at themselves in the mirror.?

In the post-game media conference after last year?s season-opener, Beveridge launched an extraordinary personal attack on journalist Tom Morris.

After the round 10 win against Gold Coast last season, he vaguely questioned the tactics of Suns defender Sam Collins on Naughton. On review, Collins? method was entirely within the rules.

Beveridge was due to come out of contract at the end of this season. However, the club surprisingly and prematurely extended his deal to the end of 2025.

It would have been wiser for the Bulldogs board to wait until the midway point of the season to gather more evidence on whether Beveridge can fix the broken navigation system in the shiny new Mercedes.

Adam Kingsley eventually inherited the keys to the GWS Ferrari; only time will tell whether Beveridge?s mechanics can fix his broken GPS or whether the Merc needs a new driver.

bornadog
25-03-2023, 12:50 AM
Every year Kane writes a negative article about Bevo

jeemak
25-03-2023, 01:10 AM
Jesus.

That's an out and out attack, and completely incoherent. I mean even for Corn Kanes.

Bevo isn't going to be spared this season by anyone, but mostly not by us fans. But what does the smarmy little shit want after a first game **** up? The shiny pressed mother****er needs to pull his head in.

josie
25-03-2023, 01:13 AM
Our defence all over the ground has been poor for some time. Most of the rest of the article, as well as some glaring factual errors (thanks BTragician for ? those), is sensationalist tripe. Most footy journalism is drivel.

Given coaches only need to be paid 6 months if sacked extending a coaches tenure and showing confidence in them doesn’t seem so crazy to me. I’ve given up watching footy programs and listening to radio programs. I read the articles posted on woof, and perhaps peek at what afl has on their website (amazing how they have little or no articles on the important topic of concussion). Life’s too short to pay much attention to nufties and HQ psychophants (spelling intentional).

jeemak
25-03-2023, 01:18 AM
Our defence across the ground in 2021 was top five. We can do it, we just need to do it....or believe we can do it.....or something that results in us doing it.....

Happy Days
25-03-2023, 01:29 AM
Our defence across the ground in 2021 was top five. We can do it, we just need to do it....or believe we can do it.....or something that results in us doing it.....

That’s the difference between an Alex Keath with and without whatever ligaments in your knees that lets you move laterally. Al was legitimately a top 3 key defender in 2021 and fell off a cliff in that off season.

jeemak
25-03-2023, 01:32 AM
That’s the difference between an Alex Keath with and without whatever ligaments in your knees that lets you move laterally. Al was legitimately a top 3 key defender in 2021 and fell off a cliff in that off season.

And what happens forward of centre with McSteal and a few others playing out of their skins/ with a lot of eagerness and putting some pressure on the out-ball.

jeemak
25-03-2023, 01:40 AM
Cody averaged 1.7 goals a game last year, averages 1.6 over his career. The running down of him and his efforts puts me off. He's 22 and is almost elite and we can't find a decent thing to say about him, or bemoan his importance to us in missing last week.

How many forward pockets have we ever had average 1.6 goals a year in their first few years of footy? He averages more goals than Pickett across their careers!

Grantysghost
25-03-2023, 02:22 AM
Ghost Writer Caro.

Happy Days
25-03-2023, 03:28 AM
Cody averaged 1.7 goals a game last year, averages 1.6 over his career. The running down of him and his efforts puts me off. He's 22 and is almost elite and we can't find a decent thing to say about him, or bemoan his importance to us in missing last week.

How many forward pockets have we ever had average 1.6 goals a year in their first few years of footy? He averages more goals than Pickett across their careers!

No he’s a loser for playing through a broken elbow. Keep up my man.

MrMahatma
25-03-2023, 03:40 AM
Cornholio just hates the dogs.

This time next year the article will be about our premiership hangover

Boots
25-03-2023, 10:06 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here (and probably cop a bit of flak), but I quite like Cornes. Him and Buckley might be the two I agree with the most often in the media (though Bucks is clearly smarter). But I for one think Cornes is pretty level headed. Maybe that means I’m insane.

But he hasn’t said anything here I haven’t read in this very forum, or from dogs supporters elsewhere: we can’t defend, fitness might be an issue, we turn big leads into bigger deficits, the list is good but Bevo is out of ideas.

There are some decent stats in there, and sure, some overdetermined Dunkley comments - but again, nothing I haven’t read here.

Other than the fact he’s not a supporter, can you really fault him?

GVGjr
25-03-2023, 10:27 AM
I am going to go out on a limb here (and probably cop a bit of flak), but I quite like Cornes. Him and Buckley might be the two I agree with the most often in the media (though Bucks is clearly smarter). But I for one think Cornes is pretty level headed. Maybe that means I’m insane.

But he hasn’t said anything here I haven’t read in this very forum, or from dogs supporters elsewhere: we can’t defend, fitness might be an issue, we turn big leads into bigger deficits, the list is good but Bevo is out of ideas.

There are some decent stats in there, and sure, some overdetermined Dunkley comments - but again, nothing I haven’t read here.

Other than the fact he’s not a supporter, can you really fault him?

I'm with you about Cornes. I actually don't like him and I do find him interesting and yet his analysis is something that I think many would agree with.

Happy Days
25-03-2023, 10:35 AM
For what it’s worth Corn picked us to be top 4. I think he’s just being vindictive here (shocking I know).

The bulldog tragician
25-03-2023, 10:38 AM
Our defence all over the ground has been poor for some time. Most of the rest of the article, as well as some glaring factual errors (thanks BTragician for ? those), is sensationalist tripe. Most footy journalism is drivel.

Given coaches only need to be paid 6 months if sacked extending a coaches tenure and showing confidence in them doesn?t seem so crazy to me. I?ve given up watching footy programs and listening to radio programs. I read the articles posted on woof, and perhaps peek at what afl has on their website (amazing how they have little or no articles on the important topic of concussion). Life?s too short to pay much attention to nufties and HQ psychophants (spelling intentional).

I?m not sure why, but something is screwy when I post, meaning quote marks ? are replaced by question marks ?

GVGjr
25-03-2023, 10:50 AM
I?m not sure why, but something is screwy when I post, meaning quote marks ? are replaced by question marks ?

I think it's the forums issue, I'm noticing it as well with ' and ? It might have something to do with copy and paste from other sites.
I even had to fix some of the user names and their signatures.
I'll get the tech guy to review it.

Grantysghost
25-03-2023, 11:50 AM
I think it's the forums issue, I'm noticing it as well with ' and ? It might have something to do with copy and paste from other sites.

Be something to do with the character set. Basically the source is using one that has characters this forum doesn't understand.

Try pasting into a middle man like word first or even notepad as it may strip the unknown characters.

Gaz you may want to extend the character sets the forum supports I think unicode 15 is the most recent.

Bulldog4life
25-03-2023, 12:28 PM
Every year Kane writes a negative article about Bevo

90% old news too.

josie
25-03-2023, 01:06 PM

Thanks. Ah-ha ha-I thought they are errors you?d picked up!! Eg wasn?t it from 7th not 6th we won premiership in ?16 etc. attributional errors about errors, must be a term for that.

Danjul
25-03-2023, 01:36 PM

I use an iPad and it happens a lot.

Could it be the metadata tag at the top of the webpage needs

<meta ….. charset=UTF-8 >

macca
25-03-2023, 02:14 PM

@BT , If you copy from other websites, the character set encoding may NOT be interpreted in the quick reply field correctly. The source website and the "quick reply" field may have different character SETS encoding. A synonym in laymans terms, would be like using TimesRoman Font vs Symbols font.

Hello <-- times roman font

Hello <-- symbol font

One way to get around this is to copy and paste into notepad ( if your windows user) and then copy the notepad text , into the "quick reply" part.

macca
25-03-2023, 02:16 PM
@Danjul, I did not get to read your post , but your spot on, its the character set used by the webpage on woof = UTF-8

JanLorMill
25-03-2023, 10:24 PM
Didn’t read it but probably not a false word in it.

1eyedog
25-03-2023, 11:10 PM
Oh he's right!

Happy Days
26-03-2023, 01:40 PM
Didn’t read it but probably not a false word in it.

Lol what? It’s not exactly Infinite Jest, maybe read it and then have an actual contribution?

SonofScray
26-03-2023, 01:44 PM
He might make some good points, but I?ll never know.

Can?t accept anything he says about the Bulldogs in good faith. Grant Thomas on the other hand, he has come out and suggested Bevo has stayed on a year too long.

macca
26-03-2023, 02:38 PM
He might make some good points, but I?ll never know.

Can?t accept anything he says about the Bulldogs in good faith. Grant Thomas on the other hand, he has come out and suggested Bevo has stayed on a year too long.

It would be interesting to know what are the factors that Thomas considers ?
It be a good insight to know .
Given his gone through it himself and being replaced by Lyons

Nothing last forever in footy
The industry changes and you need to adapt

people ARE dispensable in a corporate environment , as it’s performance based

Even Clarkson had his time end
Roos knew he had his limit

JanLorMill
26-03-2023, 05:27 PM
Lol what? It’s not exactly Infinite Jest, maybe read it and then have an actual contribution?
Why? I bet many poo pooed the article without reading either because of the headline and who wrote it. I watched us play this year, last year and at least know the headline is true.

macca
03-04-2023, 09:21 PM
Has Cornes written anything about port this week ? Its probably overdue an analysis on their fragility.

Dogs 24/7
04-04-2023, 09:41 AM
Has Cornes written anything about port this week ? Its probably overdue an analysis on their fragility.

He got stuck into them yesterday on SEN. He thinks Adelaide will finish higher on the ladder.

D Mitchell
04-04-2023, 10:20 AM
Not much point getting angry/disdainful/sarcastic about what a journalist writes. If Cornes thinks that Beveridge is taking the club in the wrong direction, or Thomas that Bev's stayed too long, take it as food for thought, both might have something. In 2015-2016, the mantra was that players had to be able to win their own ball. That seemed to give way to a game based on creating stoppages to gain possession then on to a retaining possession game, particularly coming out of defence. C'wood and Melbourne use a direct and aggressive kicking game. Maybe possession and handball has been bypassed and that Bev's wrong in continuing with the possession style.

Dogs 24/7
04-04-2023, 10:33 AM
Not much point getting angry/disdainful/sarcastic about what a journalist writes. If Cornes thinks that Beveridge is taking the club in the wrong direction, or Thomas that Bev's stayed too long, take it as food for thought, both might have something. In 2015-2016, the mantra was that players had to be able to win their own ball. That seemed to give way to a game based on creating stoppages to gain possession then on to a retaining possession game, particularly coming out of defence. C'wood and Melbourne use a direct and aggressive kicking game. Maybe possession and handball has been bypassed and that Bev's wrong in continuing with the possession style.

He called out Lobbs poor effort in a marking contest last night and he was right. I dont mind reading critical comments as its a chance to either agree or disagree with it. Ive never understood why people get so upset about a commentator expressing their views . Some might be dickheads but who cares.

bornadog
04-04-2023, 10:46 AM

Cornes has some sort of vendetta against Bevo. Every year he writes a negative article about the club, even in 2021 and then 2022 after we had been in a GF.

I don't mind reading criticism, but he seems like he has it in for Bevo so it becomes a bit personal.

GVGjr
04-04-2023, 10:50 AM
Cornes has some sort of vendetta against Bevo. Every year he writes a negative article about the club, even in 2021 and then 2022 after we had been in a GF.

I don't mind reading criticism, but he seems like he has it in for Bevo so it becomes a bit personal.

Is there anything specific that gets you to that opinion that he has it in for Bevo?
Cornes is dogmatic no doubt and won't let things go if he thinks he's right but I guess it's his job to target clubs that aren't meeting the expectations and we might have opened the door there last year.

bornadog
04-04-2023, 10:54 AM
Is there anything specific that gets you to that opinion that he has it in for Bevo?
Cornes is dogmatic no doubt and won't let things go if he thinks he's right but I guess it's his job to target clubs that aren't meeting the expectations and we might have opened the door there last year.

The constant articles about Bevo for starters.

GVGjr
04-04-2023, 10:58 AM

Bevo is the front man of the club so he will be the focus, I was just more interested in what you've seen that makes it personal.
He doesn't like to be proven wrong and will pick over things.

Bulldog Joe
04-04-2023, 11:07 AM

I actually think the Cornes vendetta is against the club rather than Bevo.

It possibly stems from the incident with Will Minson in Darwin in 2008

bornadog
04-04-2023, 11:15 AM

You could be right BJ, maybe the club.

Happy Days
04-04-2023, 11:26 AM
It could be from that or it could be from Bevo asking how anyone could possibly sleep next to him at night immediately after we belted his beloved footy team in their most important game in nearly 20 years.

GVGjr
04-04-2023, 11:28 AM

That's where I was heading that it's not really personal with Bevo but more about that the club has under performed for a long period and that isn't just on Bevo.

azabob
04-04-2023, 11:28 AM
It could be from that or it could be from Bevo asking how anyone could possibly sleep next to him at night immediately after we belted his beloved footy team in their most important game in nearly 20 years.

Oh yeah. What prompted that comment?

Happy Days
04-04-2023, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah. What prompted that comment?

Cornes’ takeaway from the best game since 2016 somehow being that Adam Treloar sucks.

bornadog
04-04-2023, 11:35 AM
Cornes’ takeaway from the best game since 2016 somehow being that Adam Treloar sucks.

this is the sort of thing he comes up with. He is a goose.

Bulldog4life
04-04-2023, 11:45 AM
He called out Lobbs poor effort in a marking contest last night and he was right. I dont mind reading critical comments as its a chance to either agree or disagree with it. Ive never understood why people get so upset about a commentator expressing their views . Some might be dickheads but who cares.

When Lobby kicked those goals against us at Marvel last year he was leading into the pocket marking on his chest not from huge pack marks. Give him time for the team to get used to his leading patterns and he will be much better. Hopefully sooner than later.

D Mitchell
04-04-2023, 12:26 PM
Assuming you are right, it's not for me to say you aren't, then you are on to him. Sift out the has-it-in-for-Bev stuff from where he might have a point. A couple of anecdotes
(a) many years ago, I sat next to Brian Royal at a game at the MCG for a quarter, dees v dogs. I made a comment about how a couple of late goals by someone (can't remember, now) and Ilija Grgic had turned the game. In a few short sentences, Brian pointed out to me the circumstances under which those 2 goals came about, how lapses in concentration by a couple of Melbourne's defenders worked in Grgic's favour, stuff I wouldn't have ever worked out;
(b) in an interview with Brendan McCartney commenting on Bev's coaching, McCartney observed that Bev had our defenders stand in front of their forwards (defenders mostly play from behind, now, so they can see what the forwards are up to) so that an opposition mid/high forward, bringing the ball out of defence, if under pressure, would look up and the first thing he would see would be bulldog jumpers, confusing them. There's no way I would ever have been able to work that out.
We learn from our betters, who better at understanding footy than blokes who've played at that level, in Royal's case, and coached a bit.

Stevo
04-04-2023, 12:42 PM
Assuming you are right, it's not for me to say you aren't, then you are on to him. Sift out the has-it-in-for-Bev stuff from where he might have a point. A couple of anecdotes
(a) many years ago, I sat next to Brian Royal at a game at the MCG for a quarter, dees v dogs. I made a comment about how a couple of late goals by someone (can't remember, now) and Ilija Grgic had turned the game. In a few short sentences, Brian pointed out to me the circumstances under which those 2 goals came about, how lapses in concentration by a couple of Melbourne's defenders worked in Grgic's favour, stuff I wouldn't have ever worked out;
(b) in an interview with Brendan McCartney commenting on Bev's coaching, McCartney observed that Bev had our defenders stand in front of their forwards (defenders mostly play from behind, now, so they can see what the forwards are up to) so that an opposition mid/high forward, bringing the ball out of defence, if under pressure, would look up and the first thing he would see would be bulldog jumpers, confusing them. There's no way I would ever have been able to work that out.
We learn from our betters, who better at understanding footy than blokes who've played at that level, in Royal's case, and coached a bit.

Nicely said. It is interesting to see the lens that the high achievers have on the game and taking out the emotion you can learn quite a bit. Cornes is OK and I can accept some of his criticisms.

bornadog
04-04-2023, 12:49 PM

Agree with all that, but doesn't mean I have to like Cornes. He tries to be a shock jock and I can't stand him. That is all.

D Mitchell
04-04-2023, 01:23 PM
Agree with all that, but doesn't mean I have to like Cornes. He tries to be a shock jock and I can't stand him. That is all.

Thanks and thanks also for the opportunity of telling those 2 stories. I've a third, same theme, a ripper but for another time. I like Cornes, I don't watch a lot of TV footy stuff, perhaps that's why. He's skinny, good humoured, doesn't talk about himself and tells self-deprecating yarns, an unlikely former footy player panelist on a TV footy show. If you ever get the opportunity to hear his account of the bewildering Ramsgate Pub post showdown incident, you'll get it, hilarious.

PS This isn't the one I heard but it's funny

https://www.afl.com.au/video/435214/the-after-dark-showdown-headlocks-sirens-getting-home-at-5am?videoId=435214&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1590040800001

Mantis
04-04-2023, 03:13 PM

He probably isn’t fond of your work either.

bornadog
04-04-2023, 03:36 PM
He probably isn’t fond of your work either.

and you know what I didn't give a flying ****

Stevo
04-04-2023, 03:39 PM

BUT its not a personal thing for him and Beveridge as you indicated earlier. I hope we stick it right up his clacker but he does back up his comments and shares his logic.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-04-2023, 09:34 PM
I think Cornes is reasonable. I don't always agree with him and in his early media days he was more hellbent on being controversial for the sake of it, but he's toned it down.

He isn't afraid to ask questions that others don't, which I don't mind.

I don't think he has it out for Bevo, or the club - he's priased us in the past and had high expectations for our list even in the preseason.

Just because you don't agree with him, doesn't mean he's full of it. He usually articulates his reasoning OK and I think David King is similar, even if their opinions do change with the wind (but frankly, who's opinion doesn't?)

bornadog
10-05-2024, 10:27 AM
This is a fantastic analysis of the Bevo time at the club and how the media get stuck into him. If you have time, watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Ad39GBkAs&amp;ab_channel=AflInsight

ledge
10-05-2024, 12:45 PM
This is a fantastic analysis of the Bevo time at the club and how the media get stuck into him. If you have time, watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Ad39GBkAs&ab_channel=AflInsight

I just saw this, it’s brilliant, I hope someone shows him.

ledge
10-05-2024, 12:57 PM
So is it Cornes the club has complained about or the media in general, I was quite surprised Damo had actually defended us.

JanLorMill
10-05-2024, 01:18 PM
A 1 hour video on Cornes, I?d rather do something else, I bet he loves it.

ledge
10-05-2024, 01:22 PM
A 1 hour video on Cornes, I?d rather do something else, I bet he loves it.

Oh he won’t like it at all.

JanLorMill
10-05-2024, 01:30 PM
Oh he won’t like it at all.
Why he is an attention seeker. Good or bad.

Grantysghost
10-05-2024, 01:47 PM

Went longer than a minute - ain't nobody got time for that.

The world's changed, people don't want truth or facts they want something to stop scrolling to that goes for about 30 seconds.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOTM1dGJvMzUzdTQ3NWRrMWFtY2ZxcnljbDF5eXF6Z WVpMDdsa3pyciZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/bWM2eWYfN3r20/giphy.gif

bornadog
10-05-2024, 02:27 PM

The world's changed, people don't want truth or facts they want something to stop scrolling to that goes for about 30 seconds.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExOTM1dGJvMzUzdTQ3NWRrMWFtY2ZxcnljbDF5eXF6Z WVpMDdsa3pyciZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/bWM2eWYfN3r20/giphy.gif

As I said, if you have time, very good vid

EasternWest
10-05-2024, 02:29 PM

I have as little time for anti Cornes material as I do for Cornes material. Absolutely living rent free in people's heads.

bornadog
10-05-2024, 02:30 PM
I have as little time for anti Cornes material as I do for Cornes material. Absolutely living rent free in people's heads.

Ok, I will give you a quick synopsis - Cornes is a dickhead.

EasternWest
10-05-2024, 02:40 PM
Ok, I will give you a quick synopsis - Cornes is a dickhead.

Well I don't need a video to know that.

bornadog
10-05-2024, 02:57 PM
Well I don't need a video to know that.

On a serious note, it does look at our list under Bevo and explains quite a bit.

Anyhow, posted it up for interest.

ledge
10-05-2024, 03:38 PM
On a serious note, it does look at our list under Bevo and explains quite a bit.

Anyhow, posted it up for interest.

It gives insight into media bias and how they do no research and spin everything even though facts prove the opposite.

Grantysghost
10-05-2024, 03:46 PM
I just don't care about VolKANO or any of the media dopes and the club should do the same.

ledge
10-05-2024, 04:01 PM
I just don't care about VolKANO or any of the media dopes and the club should do the same.

But the club has to as it turns away fans , members etc it damages the brand.
If you’re trying to recruit members the last thing you want is bad media, especially if it’s not true.

Grantysghost
10-05-2024, 04:36 PM
But the club has to as it turns away fans , members etc it damages the brand.
If you’re trying to recruit members the last thing you want is bad media, especially if it’s not true.
I don't agree but get your point.

We have record membership coming next week.

D Mitchell
10-05-2024, 04:52 PM
Journos peddle in stories, they are not prophets. The President of a Club's declaration that the coach has the full backing of the Board is the kiss of death. Let's see which way Watson-Wheeler's message to members swings. I was against the sacking of Rocket, I'm against that of Bev.

Uninformed
10-05-2024, 10:03 PM

Thanks for posting this. It is so worth watching for the analysis on the criticisms of Bevo and the club. (There is a certain guilty enjoyment in seeing Cornes put down as well.)

There are so many facets ignored in the 'sack the coach' garbage that is going on with Bevo. This video makes clear a lot of reasons why you would definitely want to keep him. By this guy's analysis, it seems Hardwick is the only current coach that could quote a better record than Bevo.

He also debunks the Cornes' claim that we have such a good list that the coach must be under-performing and shows what is behind Cornes' insanity.

The media types maintain that media pressure is not what causes coaches to get the sack, but the resulting pressure and wailing of dissatisfied supporters that bring the club to sack the coach.

I hope that our supporters will get behind the club and Bevo and not give the media types with an agenda any more ammunition.

For us to lose our greatest ever coach through media pressure and weak-minded supporters would be the equivalent of the Melbourne football club sacking Norm Smith the year after his fifth premiership and.. surprise.. surprise.. not getting near another premiership for sixty years until Josh Bruce's ACL gifted them one!

MrMahatma
11-05-2024, 12:45 AM

I wanna watch it? but 6 min in I have 48 still to go.

Kornes is a clown.

jeemak
11-05-2024, 01:19 AM
I watched the video in the background throughout today and I don't think people should be labelled as dickhead obsessed for trying to figure out whether they're being gas-lit day by day. The Bevo targeting has caught on in the general public and I'm sick of having to ask people not to talk to me about it, and I don't hang around footy mad people much of the time.

The analysis was sound, if maybe a bit too forgiving to Beveridge, the club and the players at times, but the contrast between Hinkley's treatment in the media and Beveridge's and the latter's record was laid bare. And honestly, it's nice to see someone go to the effort to make the points made on behalf of us who think the hysteria over our coach is unbearable and frankly, ridiculous.

Telling was the piece around our stacked list, versus others. Since 2020 we've registered five AA players, Power have eight. It's acknowledged we don't have a backline, nor do we have medium and small specialist forwards - stuff some of us have been pointing to for years now (especially the fact Cody kicked thirty odd last year, with the next best West with seven - Brisbane had three small forwards sharing 115 goals!).

It's also acknowledged that throughout dickhead's campaign to run down the Bulldogs since 2020, particularly leading up to the 2021 finals series, our coach's record in making and winning grand finals is in the top few in the league, where as Hinkley's is in the bottom few.

So while the video won't make a difference in the grand scheme of things, and nor to dickhead himself, it's just nice being empathised with in the middle of an unrelenting pile on.

Grantysghost
11-05-2024, 09:58 AM
Cornes will love it. Ignore him, its the only way.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExajByMnV0ZXR5enI5bm5heGhmODM2cjF4NnJvNXZmd GN1Z2drcWdmZCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/PMzU5bJ608IUt6pmNF/giphy.gif

Hotdog60
11-05-2024, 10:50 AM
I wish Stevie J had got into him more. :)

G-Mo77
11-05-2024, 10:59 AM
Cornes will love it. Ignore him, its the only way.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExajByMnV0ZXR5enI5bm5heGhmODM2cjF4NnJvNXZmd GN1Z2drcWdmZCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/PMzU5bJ608IUt6pmNF/giphy.gif

That's it right there. I mean he doesn't upset me now because I know what he's trying to do, get clicks and attention. I am starting to agree with what he has to say at times about our club though but I'm just a "weak-minded supporter"