PDA

View Full Version : 3 things I've learned - R4 vs Richmond

GVGjr
07-04-2023, 10:12 PM
You know the drill, please list 3 new things you learned from our Round 3 clash against the Richmond.

macca
08-04-2023, 08:29 PM
1. We can win ugly, even with poor forward setup, in tough ,wet and slippery conditions.
2. Richmond are a team in transition and our mature bodies probable won more of the ball through physical contact.
3. our contested ball was excellent today and smashed their mids.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-04-2023, 08:40 PM
1. 2 and 2 is a good response to what we were facing down couple of weeks back. A tough two games to come, both away against Port and Freo, but not as tough as they seemed a few weeks ago either. Some opportunity to really turn a corner on the season awaits.

2. I just wish our amazingly talented, tough, and skillful midfield could work the heck out how to stop the run ons. We just go from looking a million dollars to penniless and bereft of all skill and hope in a matter of seconds.

3. Tim English. That's some performance. When he can hold his own at the ruck contest, his other skills just make him a nightmare match up. When he's storming through a stoppage as a mid and to soccer them off the ground for goals, that's just ridiculous.

Happy Days
08-04-2023, 08:41 PM
1. Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is. Think Richmond are still decent.

2. We still have the capability to be the most dominant stoppage team in the league. The loss of Dunkley has been more than offset by the gains big Tim has made.

3. Jamarra is capable of influencing a game without it showing up on the scoreboard.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-04-2023, 08:44 PM
1. Lemonade was a popular drink, and it still is. Think Richmond are still decent.

2. We still have the capability to be the most dominant stoppage team in the league. The loss of Dunkley has been more than offset by the gains big Tim has made.

3. Jamarra is capable of influencing a game without it showing up on the scoreboard.

Nice call on Jamarra's game. When Naughts finishes like tonight the prospect of he and Jamarra as a one two forward duo just seems like a wrecking ball of beauty to look forward to. Jamarra was the workhorse tonight, and didn't get reward, but he is demanding attention now. He's definitely arriving as an every-week-ready AFL footballer now.

MrMahatma
08-04-2023, 08:45 PM
1. Scrappy wins count as much a clean ones.

2. We’re close. 17 behinds sucks but we had 29 shots on goal!

3. Season is back on track.

AshMac
08-04-2023, 09:01 PM
1. We look good when we have a good spread of contributors

2. The tigers put that one in the bank on Wednesday and we?re arrogant at half time

3. The rain at the start of the 3rd helped

hujsh
08-04-2023, 09:18 PM
1. We look good when we have a good spread of contributors

2. The tigers put that one in the bank on Wednesday and we?re arrogant at half time

3. The rain at the start of the 3rd helped

Honestly I stopped watching after the first half and checked the score later to make sure we weren't just blown out of the water but after catching up it looked to me like the rain turned the game into one that suited our strengths and blunted Richmonds. Essentially it feels like the rain won the match for us.

bornadog
08-04-2023, 09:35 PM
Honestly I stopped watching after the first half and checked the score later to make sure we weren't just blown out of the water but after catching up it looked to me like the rain turned the game into one that suited our strengths and blunted Richmonds. Essentially it feels like the rain won the match for us.

I was at the G and the rain didn't really effect the game for long periods - maybe 5 min in each of the last two quarters.

Dry Rot
08-04-2023, 10:31 PM
1. Richmond is not a top 4 side and they will struggle to make the eight. They are in transition and while they can be threatening, I think their finals run might be coming to an end. Dusty has gone from killer elite to handy and useful in his old age.

2. The Bulldogs are not a top four side and could even struggle to make the 8. Various serious issues over the past recent season have not been rectified and good sides well coached will catch us out.

3. This is the season when Marra could really make it if only we had decent forward delivery from the mids and an AFL standard forward system.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-04-2023, 10:53 PM
1. The dominance of Bont English Libba Treloar and B Smith was a major factor in our win
2. Bailey Dale and Ed Richards have emerged as two fine defenders and again with 49 disposals between them showed their class
3. Two good wins against Brisbane Lions and now Richmond have shown that our team can match it with two potential finalists

angelopetraglia
08-04-2023, 11:41 PM

Agree about Dunkey. But also, what is helping is Treloar back in the middle rather than a half forward to half back flank. The man is a natural mid.

Eastdog
08-04-2023, 11:43 PM
I was at the G and the rain didn't really effect the game for long periods - maybe 5 min in each of the last two quarters.

I can vouch for BAD :)

SonofScray
09-04-2023, 12:06 AM
1. Caleb Daniel at CHF is the best version of Caleb we’ve seen for a while.

2. JJ might be turning the clock back a bit, I thought he was cooked, but they’re signs emerging that he can still produce his best footy.

3. We are at a significant tactical disadvantage when teams recognise the opportunity to get out the back and can execute coast to coast goals. Richmond knew exactly when to go and what to do. Just like Melbourne. Just like the Saints.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 12:12 AM
1. Our defence really tightened up and Richmond could only manage 2 goals in the second half. Great job.

2. Clearances and Contessed Poss. are still kings in football

3. Tim is coming of age over the past 4 games

SonofScray
09-04-2023, 12:15 AM
1. Our defence really tightened up and Richmond could only manage 2 goals in the second half. Great job.

2. Clearances and Contessed Poss. are still kings in football

3. Tim is coming of age over the past 4 games

English when he grits his teeth and does some physical work that is every bit the player we all have hoped he could be. I don’t think that component of his game comes naturally, but it’s great he is showing that real competitive streak and physical play more frequently. Had him in my best comfortably.

jeemak
09-04-2023, 12:22 AM
1. We can win ugly, even with poor forward setup, in tough ,wet and slippery conditions.
2. Richmond are a team in transition and our mature bodies probable won more of the ball through physical contact.
3. our contested ball was excellent today and smashed their mids.

Really interesting breakdown for Richmond, in terms of maturity:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=10781

Average Attributes
Richmond Attribute Western Bulldogs
186.6cm Height 189.3cm
86.0kg Weight 87.8kg
26yr 3mth Age 27yr 2mth
109.3 Games 114.2
Total Players By Games
Richmond Games Western Bulldogs
7 Less than 50 5
4 50 to 99 5
5 100 to 149 5
7 150 or more 8

There's not a huge difference between the teams today, outside of them having three more players than us who had played less than 20 translating to two more less than 50.

kruder
09-04-2023, 12:44 AM
1. English will be the best ruckman in the league soon enough. That was one sensational performance, the tackles he laid the fact he hit the scoreboard and his running power is phenomenal. I wonder if Lade has had an impact, just think his positioning has improved also.

2.Treloar is a better inside mid than Josh Dunkley.

3. If we had of lost that game our group would have checked into the therapy on a Monday and I'm not sure where would have gone from there. Obviously we haven't dealt with the run ons internally well enough but at least the grit came out in the group much like last week and we turned it around. Still work to do....

jeemak
09-04-2023, 02:02 AM
1. English will be the best ruckman in the league soon enough. That was one sensational performance, the tackles he laid the fact he hit the scoreboard and his running power is phenomenal. I wonder if Lade has had an impact, just think his positioning has improved also.

2.Treloar is a better inside mid than Josh Dunkley.

3. If we had of lost that game our group would have checked into the therapy on a Monday and I'm not sure where would have gone from there. Obviously we haven't dealt with the run ons internally well enough but at least the grit came out in the group much like last week and we turned it around. Still work to do....

I actually wonder about the quality of the head people's advice to our players, because we seem to keep doing the same things that are related to mental lapses year after year.

jeemak
09-04-2023, 02:10 AM
1. Caleb Daniel can be a blunt instrument. Tell him to stand somewhere and do something you need, and it gets done.

2. Naughton suffers from a free kick perspective because more than one player kind of infringes him each time he goes for the ball. Get him one out and he'll get the frees he deserves.

3. We can grind a win without anyone really sparking. All of our prime movers did a bit, but none of them caught fire genuinely. If they all do a bit then we're good enough to compete. We still have plenty of improvement in us these next few weeks.

Uninformed
09-04-2023, 02:26 AM
Nice call on Jamarra's game. When Naughts finishes like tonight the prospect of he and Jamarra as a one two forward duo just seems like a wrecking ball of beauty to look forward to. Jamarra was the workhorse tonight, and didn't get reward, but he is demanding attention now. He's definitely arriving as an every-week-ready AFL footballer now.

Loved Jamarra's second efforts, pressure and hardness at the contest. Thought he was brilliant.

ratsmac
09-04-2023, 05:40 AM
1. We may not have stopped their momentum in the 2nd quarter, but we did for the next 2 quarters. I'll take that for a start.

2. Our desire is back. After the first 2 game this season I was worried our desire had gone. It's good to see that we have been challenged this year and have responded the best way possible with wins.

3. We can win at the MCG. It's been a while.

AshMac
09-04-2023, 07:53 AM

I was at the game and thought the rain had a huge impact. Blunted their run and fast ball movement, forced a contest and slowed down the play.

They killed us all night in end to end transition and high conversion % from F50 entries and the wet slowed all that. We gained the time to recompose, went back to basic contested footy and ground it out.

Mantis
09-04-2023, 08:24 AM
I was at the game and thought the rain had a huge impact. Blunted their run and fast ball movement, forced a contest and slowed down the play.

They killed us all night in end to end transition and high conversion % from F50 entries and the wet slowed all that. We gained the time to recompose, went back to basic contested footy and ground it out.

Yep… it was a huge factor in us turning the tide in the 2nd half.

Mantis
09-04-2023, 08:26 AM
1/ Tim can play ‘big boy’ footy… he was very good against the sort of opponent he traditionally struggles against.

2/ Dale & Richards can both be AA HBF’ers…. They’re that good.

3/ We desperately need to improve our bottom 3-4 players… we won’t be able to compete against the best until we do.

AshMac
09-04-2023, 09:01 AM
3/ We desperately need to improve our bottom 3-4 players… we won’t be able to compete against the best until we do.

Who do you consider our bottom 4 players?

mjp
09-04-2023, 09:08 AM

29 shots on goal?

Caleb misses two from < 10m out, Hannan does Hannan things AND misses a set shot, no free kick to McComb from 10m out, Bont does Bont things on the set shot...

I STILL think we are too tall but if you have 29 shots on goal there must be something OK about the forward half...

Mantis
09-04-2023, 09:11 AM

They were all mentioned in the game day and other threads on countless occasions so nothing new here…. McComb, Hannan, Crozier would comfortably be in the bottom 4 and then it’s probably a toss up between the likes of Bruce, Arthur and Scot for the last spot. .

Cody in next week improves us straight away.

1eyedog
09-04-2023, 09:13 AM
1. Tim was huge and has been our most consistent player this year. He has really matured as a hard working ruckman.

2. Great to see some mental toughness and grind out a win against a decent side on their home deck. Something that has been lacking over a long period of time.

3. McComb is the worst player I've ever seen pull on our jumper. When I was told he was in the team at work earlier this week I nearly quit. He cannot be selected in the starting 22 again.

mjp
09-04-2023, 09:15 AM

I disagree with the sentiment about improving our bottom 4 players - but 'WHO' they are is going to be a game by game thing...

Take your pick from Jones, Hannan, Crozier, Scott, Baker, McComb, JJ and Bruce from last nights group.

The outliers there are Hannan and JJ due to their age - you want your oldest players to be your best players - but they both played roles last night at various times.

Danjul
09-04-2023, 10:02 AM
1. Richmond is not a top 4 side and they will struggle to make the eight. They are in transition and while they can be threatening, I think their finals run might be coming to an end. Dusty has gone from killer elite to handy and useful in his old age.

2. The Bulldogs are not a top four side and could even struggle to make the 8. Various serious issues over the past recent season have not been rectified and good sides well coached will catch us out.

3. This is the season when Marra could really make it if only we had decent forward delivery from the mids and an AFL standard forward system.
Yes there are two distinct faults.

Every delivery into the forward line seemed to be an attempt to knock out a pigeon. And the forwards seem to be unable to get separation from each other, let alone their opponents. Plenty to work on before opponents will regularly get nervous.

Critter
09-04-2023, 11:22 AM
We are vulnerable when a side plays on quickly and kicks the ball to space. Particularly through the midfield. A number of the players who normally run through half-forward and the centre lack natural leg speed and can’t match their opponent in a foot-race to the ball. Thank goodness then for JJ, Ed & Bailey Dale. Special mention to Oscar Baker, who improves each outing.
We need to ensure we cover the last lines of play, both up forward and back. Many scoring opportunities near full-forward were missed today through not having a player at the back of the pack. Similarly in the last line of defence - too often it was a Richmond player who was the last person between their goals and play, leaving us vulnerable to a kick over the back. I thought Keath’s departure hurt our defensive structure, so hurry back Ryan Gardner.
One of the tall forwards needs to play nearer to the 50m arc. Too often there was no short marking option available to the mids or half-backs, resulting in too many high bombs into the forward line.

Finally, a call out to Caleb Daniel for standing tall in the last quarter when under a high bomb on the half back flank. There was just him with daylight behind, and a Richmond monster bearing down, at speed. Caleb didn’t turn his body, didn’t give ground but stood his ground and took the mark, and the bump, square on to the monster. Just so he could minimise any chance of the ball might get past him. Gutsy.

bornadog
09-04-2023, 11:28 AM
I disagree with the sentiment about improving our bottom 4 players - but 'WHO' they are is going to be a game by game thing...

Take your pick from Jones, Hannan, Crozier, Scott, Baker, McComb, JJ and Bruce from last nights group.

The outliers there are Hannan and JJ due to their age - you want your oldest players to be your best players - but they both played roles last night at various times.

I thought JJ was pretty good last night with 21 disposals, 6 marks - 71% disposal efficiency.

FrediKanoute
12-04-2023, 12:50 AM
1. It was a great win that was made harder than it should have been;

2. When we are on we are truly a top 4 side;

3. Bruce at he back is workingg

FrediKanoute
12-04-2023, 12:51 AM
I thought JJ was pretty good last night with 21 disposals, 6 marks - 71% disposal efficiency.

Agreed. His move to HB has him re-establishing himself as a dominant player again. I hope the forward line experiment is over.