PDA

View Full Version : Early Trade Rumours 2023

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

bornadog
19-04-2023, 02:20 PM
A thread to discuss any potential rumours, speculation on player trades, movements.

* Speculation, Adelaide will be chasing Mason Redman a Essendon free agent

Mofra
19-04-2023, 02:26 PM
A thread to discuss any potential rumours, speculation on player trades, movements.

* Speculation, Adelaide will be chasing Mason Redman a Essendon free agent
That's interesting in light of our rumoured interest in Tom Doedee.
Bailey Williams (our FA) has put contract talks on hold. I suspect he'll take up an offer from an SA club

bornadog
21-04-2023, 04:22 PM
Rumour: Pies looking at Ben King

bulldogtragic
23-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Kai Lohmann (former pick 20 live wire small forward from Ballarat) apparently ‘not close to signing’ at Brisbane. Per Cal Twomey.

I maintain he’s a good target and a likely target of ours. Handing back Brisbane’s Second Rounder for him, and making sure those points aren’t wiped out if Croft goes mid second round as Doc suggested he might in early indications.

The Doctor
24-04-2023, 01:17 AM
Mitch McGovern is gettable

Carlton prioritising Ben McKay

according to Tom Browne Channel 7

Bulldog Joe
24-04-2023, 06:09 AM
Mitch McGovern is gettable

Carlton prioritising Ben McKay

according to Tom Browne Channel 7
I would view Mitch McGovern as forgettable

Bulldog Revolution
24-04-2023, 10:41 AM
Bailey Williams (our FA) has put contract talks on hold. I suspect he'll take up an offer from an SA club

Id be surprised if he left - and my money is on us coming to terms with him

Bulldog Revolution
24-04-2023, 11:14 AM

Id be surprised if he left. Its possible but my money is on us coming to terms with him

EasternWest
24-04-2023, 12:04 PM
Id be surprised if he left. Its possible but my money is on us coming to terms with him

I actually have the opposite vibe. Time will tell I suppose.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2023, 12:09 PM
I actually have the opposite vibe. Time will tell I suppose.

Depending on the compo, we might choose to match the offer or not. I highly, highly doubt he gets the cash and years for us to get second round compo. But if we didn’t land a FA ourselves, it’s a high pick. Or if we force a trade, maybe he’s a draft point trade to Adelaide seperate to Doedee FA compo? Or added to a Bergman at Port? Or he plays well and stays.

He’s a genuine wildcard.

Mofra
24-04-2023, 12:20 PM
Himmelberg being chased by multiple clubs. Adelaide Crows very keen. Genuine swingman tall so I can understand why (I think he's a better defender)

Grantysghost
24-04-2023, 12:21 PM
Himmelberg being chased by multiple clubs. Adelaide Crows very keen. Genuine swingman tall so I can understand why (I think he's a better defender)

Like.

Really good player.

Mofra
24-04-2023, 12:22 PM
Lohmann from the Lions 'in no hurry to re-sign'

bulldogtragic
24-04-2023, 12:32 PM

If GWS take the high compo, that all but guarantees Doedee is a trade if he leaves.

And Lohmann to the Dogs I think is a real thing at this stage. I’m watching everything to do with Lohmann right now.

Happy Days
24-04-2023, 01:02 PM

We should be one of them. He looked incredible last year behind the ball and I don’t really understand why he’s playing forward again.

azabob
24-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Gee are we sure on Himmelberg? He is a fairly inconsistent and lackidasical type player.

I know he cut his hair so he doesn't appear so toolish... but is he going to be worth the coin?

Any for what it is worth he is Sydney bound.

Mantis
24-04-2023, 01:17 PM
We should be one of them. He looked incredible last year behind the ball and I don?t really understand why he?s playing forward again.

Probably because they have no tall options to play forward other than Hogan and with Taylor & Buckley they are in a better position for talls in defence.

Bulldog Joe
24-04-2023, 01:18 PM

He is a significantly better player than Mitch McGovern.

I would hope we are asking the question.
Maybe we need Rory to have a chat to him.

The Underdog
24-04-2023, 01:21 PM
We should be one of them. He looked incredible last year behind the ball and I don?t really understand why he?s playing forward again.

He may go back with Taylor out for a while.
I?m not a huge fan but can see the appeal. He?s a bit Lobb like, where the package is more attractive than the output.

Dogs 24/7
24-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Gee are we sure on Himmelberg? He is a fairly inconsistent and lackidasical type player.

I know he cut his hair so he doesn't appear so toolish... but is he going to be worth the coin?

Any for what it is worth he is Sydney bound.

Im not so sure about him. He played some good games switch to the back line last hear but Im not convinced.

Dogs 24/7
24-04-2023, 09:31 PM
Probably because they have no tall options to play forward other than Hogan and with Taylor & Buckley they are in a better position for talls in defence.

Haynes has had a bit of a resurgence as well hasnt he?

Critter
25-04-2023, 10:20 AM
I'd be having a deep and meaningful with Mason Redman. From what I've read, we have some space in the cap.
I know he's South Australian but he's been in Melbourne for a while now and just maybe he finds living in the smoke preferable to wandering up and down Rundle Mall on Saturday nights.

EasternWest
25-04-2023, 01:22 PM
I'd be having a deep and meaningful with Mason Redman. From what I've read, we have some space in the cap.
I know he's South Australian but he's been in Melbourne for a while now and just maybe he finds living in the smoke preferable to wandering up and down Rundle Mall on Saturday nights.

I like it and he's got some mongrel in him which we could really use.

Mofra
25-04-2023, 02:50 PM
Haynes has had a bit of a resurgence as well hasnt he?
Different type - Haynes is a pure intercept marker and you really don't want him playing as a KPD.
193cm and almost 31 - and apparently, one of their 'super-6' that are close to or on $1m per season.

bornadog
10-05-2023, 03:59 PM
Saints chat adds to De Koning intrigue (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/giant-demand-himmelberg-and-the-meeting-that-wasn-t-20230508-p5d6r8.html)

GVGjr
10-05-2023, 04:05 PM
Saints chat adds to De Koning intrigue (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/giant-demand-himmelberg-and-the-meeting-that-wasn-t-20230508-p5d6r8.html)

I think he may have the ability to play as a key defender much like his brother. He may not be truly good enough to be a first string ruckman but the Saints should be expressing interest in him.

hujsh
10-05-2023, 04:05 PM

BAD trying to drive subscription numbers up for The Age online again

bornadog
10-05-2023, 04:10 PM
BAD trying to drive subscription numbers up for The Age online again

Nah, couldn't be bothered copying the whole article :D

Edit: Just realised it is subs only.

Here you go:

St Kilda’s open pursuit of in-demand Carlton big man Tom De Koning continues to be a source of intrigue.

Rival recruiters who were at Trevor Barker Beach Oval on Sunday to watch the Young Guns series opener also spotted the Saints’ head of talent and acquisition, Graeme “Gubby” Allan, locked in deep discussion with leading agent Paul Connors.

St Kilda are pursuing in-demand Carlton big man Tom De Koning.
St Kilda are pursuing in-demand Carlton big man Tom De Koning.CREDIT:AFL PHOTOS

De Koning switched to the powerful Connors Sports stable, where he is managed by Robbie D’Orazio, after his previous manager, former TLA Australia agent Nigel Carmody, left the industry two years ago.

That conversation may have had nothing to do with De Koning – and sources in list management, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told Money Talks that Connors and D’Orazio typically tried not to get involved with the other’s clients.

Connors manages fellow Blues ruckman Marc Pittonet, whose two-year deal also expires at season’s end.

There is still no clarity on Pittonet’s future either, which makes sense, given the De Koning situation.

Allan and St Kilda list manager Stephen Silvagni were among the interested spectators when De Koning played in the VFL a fortnight ago. Geelong, where De Koning’s brother Sam is a premiership defender, and Sydney are also expected to chase the 23-year-old’s signature.

De Koning, who has played 46 AFL games, sat out last week while in concussion protocol, and it will be a month since his last senior match if he is not selected for Carlton’s clash with the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night.

The Saints previously enjoyed success with Paddy Ryder and Rowan Marshall as a ruck combination, and are clearly hoping the same would happen if they could pair Marshall with De Koning.

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 08:34 AM
Lohmann from the Lions 'in no hurry to re-sign'

Confirmed again on AFL.com

UNSIGNED LION IN RIVALS' SIGHTS

CLUBS are tracking Brisbane youngster Kai Lohmann as the forward remains unsigned at the midway point of his second season.

Lohmann is one of only two first-round picks from the 2021 draft ? along with No.13 pick Ben Hobbs at Essendon ? who has not penned a contract extension past their initial standard two-year deals.

Lohmann was drafted from the Greater Western Victoria Rebels at pick 20 in that year's draft but has played only two games since arriving at the Lions and none this season.

The crafty hybrid forward is competing with a stack of talent inside the premiership contender's front half, leading rivals to be closely monitoring his situation as a potential trade target.

The Western Bulldogs flagged interest in Lohmann last year during the Josh Dunkley trade talks, while North Melbourne and Hawthorn were also among the clubs who had been eyeing Lohmann at the draft before the Lions swooped on him. ? Callum Twomey

bulldogtragic
11-05-2023, 08:38 AM
I’ve been telling y’all…

macca
11-05-2023, 10:00 AM
We need a forward who can sit at feet of packs and crumb
I not convinced its natural to weightman as he likes to fly for marks
I am yet to see this ability from any of the small fwd
Maybe McNeil has it

Can we train for crumbing ? Tall fwd brings ball to ground , small fwd sweep up and crumb for goal .

Dixom did a lovely tap to Rioli last week which resulted in a goal, there is synergy there

Axe Man
12-05-2023, 09:45 AM
Miles Bergman contract talks (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-news-all-the-latest-news-from-the-power/news-story/1b97b875af8daa8b06857110963f65e7)

Port Adelaide youngster Miles Bergman is focusing on his football, rather than his contract talks, as he puts off a decision of his future until later on the season.

Bergman is without a deal beyond this season and in career-best form, ensuring interest from rival clubs in his home state of Victoria.

The 21-year-old said he was enjoying his time at the Power and his call would boil down to ?what feels right?.

?At the moment, I?m not focused on that (contract discussions), that?ll happen later in the year,? said Bergman, whom Port Adelaide drafted with its first pick, No. 14, in 2019.

?The club and I have talked about it and we said we?re both comfortable just to wait because we?re really enjoying the way we?re playing at the moment.

?We?ll get to the decision when it comes.

?I?m loving the club and just want to play some good footy.?

Bergman said he had felt more settled at Alberton after really struggling with homesickness during his first few years at the club.

?Every year I?ve felt more comfortable and more confident in myself, and get along with the boys better and am really close with the coaches,? he said.

lemmon
12-05-2023, 10:30 AM
I hope we're in the ear of some of these uncontracted talented youngsters.

I'd like any of Hobbs, Lohmann or Bergman and think they fit needs as inside mid depth, a crumbing/pressure forward or a meters-gained wing.

I wonder if Henry and Horne-Francis have started to shift the landscape somewhat for these younger guys straight out of their draft or coming off their initial contracts.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-05-2023, 12:11 PM
Miles Bergman contract talks (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/port-adelaide-news-all-the-latest-news-from-the-power/news-story/1b97b875af8daa8b06857110963f65e7)

Port Adelaide youngster Miles Bergman is focusing on his football, rather than his contract talks, as he puts off a decision of his future until later on the season.

Bergman is without a deal beyond this season and in career-best form, ensuring interest from rival clubs in his home state of Victoria.

The 21-year-old said he was enjoying his time at the Power and his call would boil down to ?what feels right?.

?At the moment, I?m not focused on that (contract discussions), that?ll happen later in the year,? said Bergman, whom Port Adelaide drafted with its first pick, No. 14, in 2019.

?The club and I have talked about it and we said we?re both comfortable just to wait because we?re really enjoying the way we?re playing at the moment.

?We?ll get to the decision when it comes.

?I?m loving the club and just want to play some good footy.?

Bergman said he had felt more settled at Alberton after really struggling with homesickness during his first few years at the club.

?Every year I?ve felt more comfortable and more confident in myself, and get along with the boys better and am really close with the coaches,? he said.

Mofra likes this.

I'd imagine he would cost a bit though.

Mofra
12-05-2023, 02:48 PM
I hope we're in the ear of some of these uncontracted talented youngsters.

I'd like any of Hobbs, Lohmann or Bergman and think they fit needs as inside mid depth, a crumbing/pressure forward or a meters-gained wing.

I wonder if Henry and Horne-Francis have started to shift the landscape somewhat for these younger guys straight out of their draft or coming off their initial contracts.
I'd rather hit the draft than grab Hobbs.

bornadog
08-06-2023, 03:37 AM
Pies into Harry Himmelberg

GVGjr
08-06-2023, 07:40 AM
Pies into Harry Himmelberg

Link?

Mantis
08-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Link?

I think he read it on the Herald Sun website and doesn’t want to admit it.

Stevo
08-06-2023, 11:10 AM
I think he read it on the Herald Sun website and doesn’t want to admit it.

Closet reader as long as he isn't paying for it. :) Seriously though I think I read it elsewhere.

macca
08-06-2023, 11:45 AM
Link?

here you go, probably old news now ! how are the pies going to fit him in the salary cap ? or... brown paper bags...

If his speaking to Taranto, the Tigers have this deal in the background.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/department-of-trade/afl-trade-news-rumours-whispers-collingwood-magpies-interest-in-harry-himmelberg-essendon-bombers-clubs-interested-sydney-swans-latest/news-story/f256a305c6323da982f94df1c5f71c40

some himmelberg highlights

https://www.afl.com.au/video/906883/outrageous-himmelberg-hanger-and-winner-rocks-stadium?videoId=906883&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1681631700001&tagNames=AppNewsFeed:Yes

bornadog
09-06-2023, 02:46 AM
Link?

The Age yesterday
Magpies show Giant interest

sorry hard to copy article on phone

bornadog
19-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Collingwood apparently interested in Tarryn Thomas according to Foxfooty here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/rising-powers-interest-in-gws-young-gun-could-pies-swoop-on-troubled-roo-trade-whispers/news-story/c346420242f2aab0cbcd09bae335ed1c)

Would any one on WOOF look at him if available?

bulldogtragic
19-06-2023, 07:33 PM
Collingwood apparently interested in Tarryn Thomas according to Foxfooty here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/rising-powers-interest-in-gws-young-gun-could-pies-swoop-on-troubled-roo-trade-whispers/news-story/c346420242f2aab0cbcd09bae335ed1c)

If his life is on track, if the price is right (salary and trade), then I’d look at least. Can’t hurt to look at bringing in players who’d be best 22.

jazzadogs
19-06-2023, 07:33 PM
He was good yesterday (but not in the top 5 on the ground...) and generally speaking has plenty of talent.

We would need to have a LOT of confidence in our system to improve him as a person, based on the allegations made earlier this year.

chef
19-06-2023, 09:18 PM
No. Too much of a grub for my liking.

jeemak
19-06-2023, 09:23 PM
I'm OK with leaving people with his recent form off our radar. A few years of solid citizenry and I might reconsider.

I mean the guy literally relapsed into misogyny after being educated on the topic to save his career.

GVGjr
19-06-2023, 09:31 PM

Talented player but he's done some very silly and vengeful actions. If I was a decision maker I'd want to be very close to a 100% sure he can overcome his distractions.
I'd probably think we need to pass on someone with his baggage unless we have the resources to help him.

One thing that I heard a recruiter talk about years back is one of the tests being "Would you be happy for this player to be dating a family member?" In this instance I wouldn't.

The don't all have to be Mitch Wallis clones but Thomas has a long way to go to pass a test like that.

lemmon
19-06-2023, 09:46 PM

Strong no for me.

What's in some of the allegations is disgusting. Do I hope he's growing as a person? Yes. Do I want that brought into our club? No.

jazzadogs
19-06-2023, 10:08 PM
Talented player but he's done some very silly and vengeful actions. If I was a decision maker I'd want to be very close to a 100% sure he can overcome his distractions.
I'd probably think we need to pass on someone with his baggage unless we have the resources to help him.

One thing that I heard a recruiter talk about years back is one of the tests being "Would you be happy for this player to be dating a family member?" In this instance I wouldn't.

The don't all have to be Mitch Wallis clones but Thomas has a long way to go to pass a test like that.

Silly doing a lot of heavy lifting here G.

Dry Rot
19-06-2023, 11:02 PM
Is North Ben McKay out of contract?

bornadog
19-06-2023, 11:58 PM
Is North Ben McKay out of contract?

RFA end of year

ReLoad
20-06-2023, 08:29 AM
RFA end of year

throw the sink at him. exactly what we need down back. dads army is hanging on by a thread.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 09:03 AM
throw the sink at him. exactly what we need down back. dads army is hanging on by a thread.

No way, didn't you see the way he viciously mauled Cody? We don't want thugs like that in our team.

Sedat
20-06-2023, 09:20 AM
From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure he is much of a 1-on-1 key defender to be honest. He's had one semi-decent season his entire career and he has shown a propensity to lack competitiveness against his direct opponents.

He will most likely have plenty of suitors but I honestly don't know why. Maybe he has the ability to become a gun key defender at a more successful club, but his career has been underwhelming so far IMO.

ReLoad
20-06-2023, 09:24 AM
No way, didn't you see the way he viciously mauled Cody? We don't want thugs like that in our team.

To be honest, id love a bit of mongrel in our team. we play far too nicely.

Don't get me wrong, i get the whole "good bloke thing" but against Norf we were helping opposition players up off the ground, give me a spell.

Axe Man
20-06-2023, 09:33 AM
From what I've seen of him, I'm not sure he is much of a 1-on-1 key defender to be honest. He's had one semi-decent season his entire career and he has shown a propensity to lack competitiveness against his direct opponents.

He will most likely have plenty of suitors but I honestly don't know why. Maybe he has the ability to become a gun key defender at a more successful club, but his career has been underwhelming so far IMO.

From what I had seen of him previously (not that much) I would tend to agree, but the way he outmarked Naughton a couple of times on Sunday when I didn't think he was in position to was impressive. It's taken a while but he may have stepped up a level this year.

EasternWest
20-06-2023, 09:43 AM
To be honest, id love a bit of mongrel in our team. we play far too nicely.

Don't get me wrong, i get the whole "good bloke thing" but against Norf we were helping opposition players up off the ground, give me a spell.

Yeah I was being facetious. His "hit" on Weightman was late and probably a bit too forceful but not the hanging offense that some made it out to be.

I'm not sure if throw the sink at him but I'd definitely ask for sure. That being said I reckon he's a bit lackadaisical and I'm not 100% sold on him.

Mantis
20-06-2023, 09:47 AM

How big is our sink?

With lots of important players coming out of contract at the end of 2024 I would think we would be quite conservative with acquisitions at the end of this year.

And North need to pay someone so would think North will make him a substantial offer.

Sedat
20-06-2023, 09:53 AM
How big is our sink?

With lots of important players coming out of contract at the end of 2024 I would think we would be quite conservative with acquisitions at the end of this year.

And North need to pay someone so would think North will make him a substantial offer.
It's a tricky one for North. If he leaves, they will have an absolute spud like Corr as their key defender (Logue not much better) but they keep valuable salary cap space for their young stars and also likely pocket a national draft pick in the top 5. If he stays he will be paid on potential and could eat into their salary cap in the future when their U-23 stars start to command higher contracts, but he could improve and become a bankable quality key defender for the next 8-10 years.

Mantis
20-06-2023, 09:57 AM
It's a tricky one for North. If he leaves, they will have an absolute spud like Corr as their key defender (Logue not much better) but they keep valuable salary cap space for their young stars and also likely pocket a national draft pick in the top 5. If he stays he will be paid on potential and could eat into their salary cap in the future when their U-23 stars start to command higher contracts, but he could improve and become a bankable quality key defender for the next 8-10 years.

Who are these players you speak of? They got their 2022 picks right, but it’s pretty thin after that in the under 23 bracket.

Sedat
20-06-2023, 10:08 AM
Who are these players you speak of? They got their 2022 picks right, but it’s pretty thin after that in the under 23 bracket.
Fair call - stars is a strong word. LDU is definitely a jet there is clear potential with the likes of Powell and Phillips - I think both are good players and improving every season. CCJ and Comben are good potential key forwards (they take more time as we know) and they have a good prospect in Xerri as 1st ruck to take over from Goldy. Obviously Wardlaw and Sheezel are potential a-graders and will have to go on a higher bracket soon as well. Their talent levels are not bursting at the seams but they will need to pony up to keep them all together, as it is a nice core of youngsters growing together. It has been their senior players who have let the team down since Ratten took over.

It would be tempting to add in another high pick if they aren't sold on McKay's competitiveness (pretty decent sample size already to make a call on him), as he will never be as valuable in terms of draft currency as he will be at the end of this season. If they have 2 picks inside the top 5 this year, the core group of quality youth only grows. Do they think they will compete for finals in 2-3 years or in 4-5 years? If the former, then probably keep McKay - if the latter than probably best to load up on more high-end draft quality.

bornadog
22-06-2023, 10:14 AM
Not a trade rumour, but should we be chasing Doedee - still only 26 years old

Former recruiter Matt Rendell believes Tom Doedee already has one foot out the door of the Adelaide Crows.

Doedee, a restricted free agent, comes out of contract at the end of the season but is yet to commit to the Crows longer term.

The 26-year-old ruptured his ACL in Round 12 and won’t have the opportunity to up his contract value for the remainder of the season.

Rendell believes Doedee’s situation is similar to that of Dan McStay, who was rumoured from very early in 2022 to be heading to Collingwood.

“I think he’s probably already got a deal somewhere else,” Rendell told SEN SA’s The Run Home of Doedee.

bulldogtragic
22-06-2023, 10:16 AM
Absolutely if the price factors in his recent ACL.

I’d love to read some of the rumours name check our club though.

Sedat
22-06-2023, 10:49 AM
Not a trade rumour, but should we be chasing Doedee - still only 26 years old
There's a lot to play out at the Crows. If they can get Mason Redman from the Bombers, Doedee is definitely out the door. But if Redman stays at Essendon, the Crows would have ample salary cap space to be able to afford to keep Doedee (if he wanted to stay).

If he passes his physical, I'm all in on bringing him to the kennel (at the right price). We desperately need quality taller defenders for the next 2-3 years who can actually defend while the likes of Buss, Darcy and Croft develop physically. Keath and Bruce may well be done after this year, so the cupboard is not exactly bursting.

GVGjr
22-06-2023, 10:58 AM
There's a lot to play out at the Crows. If they can get Mason Redman from the Bombers, Doedee is definitely out the door. But if Redman stays at Essendon, the Crows would have ample salary cap space to be able to afford to keep Doedee (if he wanted to stay).

If he passes his physical, I'm all in on bringing him to the kennel (at the right price). We desperately need quality taller defenders for the next 2-3 years who can actually defend while the likes of Buss, Darcy and Croft develop physically. Keath and Bruce may well be done after this year, so the cupboard is not exactly bursting.

He's done well against some impressive opponents this year before the injury but the injury isn't ideal for potential suitors.
I agree we need to consider a player like him and according to a Crows following mate he is a great organiser of the other back man as well so knows his craft.
It all comes down to a favorable medical report for me.

bornadog
22-06-2023, 12:19 PM
Absolutely if the price factors in his recent ACL.

I’d love to read some of the rumours name check our club though.

He is also a RFA

bulldogtragic
22-06-2023, 01:11 PM
He is also a RFA

Which means Adelaide could force a trade if they bring in Redman or Himmelberg and don’t want the compo erased. A fee moving parts to play out here me thinks.

bornadog
22-06-2023, 04:02 PM

you know he is only 187cm

Axe Man
22-06-2023, 04:25 PM

You've stolen 3cm from him.

https://i.postimg.cc/qvDSJprS/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

He's not big but he would be a vast improvement on any other 3rd tall options we currently have. The ACL is obviously a major concern though.

Sedat
22-06-2023, 05:05 PM
Dane Rampe is only 184cms and has done a stellar job guarding tall defenders for a decade.

Dale Morris was 190cms and has probably been the best key defender we've ever had (who happened to be able to effectively guard small forwards as well).

I care less about size and more about ability to defend. And Doedee is a very good actual defender - he's comfortably much better than everyone on our list except Liam Jones.

Axe Man
22-06-2023, 05:28 PM
Dane Rampe is only 184cms

Another 3cm tax? Rampe is 187cm ;)

Rocco Jones
22-06-2023, 05:29 PM
Doedee also seems to have an elite attitude/a leader.

Mofra
22-06-2023, 05:35 PM
Dane Rampe is only 184cms and has done a stellar job guarding tall defenders for a decade.

Dale Morris was 190cms and has probably been the best key defender we've ever had (who happened to be able to effectively guard small forwards as well).

I care less about size and more about ability to defend. And Doedee is a very good actual defender - he's comfortably much better than everyone on our list except Liam Jones.
He'd be more of a Crozier/Wood interceptor than KPP anyway.

Pre-ACL I would have said hell yes, as we just don't intercept that well in out back half. Geelong are pretty much over the line by all accounts (he's a Lara boy) but I'd still table an offer as he'd be back by 2024 finals.

bornadog
22-06-2023, 05:38 PM

I have no problems getting Doedee, but he ain't no KPD.

Edit: What Mofra said :D

bornadog
22-06-2023, 05:40 PM
You've stolen 3cm from him.

He's not big but he would be a vast improvement on any other 3rd tall options we currently have. The ACL is obviously a major concern though.

Bloody internet - his wiki page is out

Axe Man
22-06-2023, 05:42 PM
Bloody internet - his wiki page is out

I stick with official club pages because heights can be all over the place from other sources.

bornadog
22-06-2023, 05:42 PM
I stick with official club pages because heights can be all over the place from other sources.

I normally do, but was lazy

Dogs 24/7
22-06-2023, 06:19 PM

Does a few cm here or there really matter that much? Can he play is the biggest consideration.

jeemak
22-06-2023, 08:34 PM
Does a few cm here or there really matter that much? Can he play is the biggest consideration.

Not to BAD in his heart of hearts.....height is just a segue to weight and fat shaming. :)

bornadog
22-06-2023, 09:16 PM

Depends which player you are matched up on.

Play on King brothers, Lynch or Hawkins and cms do matter.

Not to BAD in his heart of hearts.....height is just a segue to weight and fat shaming. :)

Ha ha you caught me out

Dogs 24/7
22-06-2023, 11:14 PM
Depends which player you are matched up on.

Play on King brothers, Lynch or Hawkins and cms do matter.

Is there even a remote chance we might be interested in recruiting Tom Doedee to match up against the bigger forwards?
Are we still talking about Doedee?
This means that someone like Caleb Daniel would never arrive at the Kennel and if he did he couldnt play anywhere other than as a forward.

Vred
23-06-2023, 04:19 AM
I got a mate who's a recruiter/talent scout at another AFL club, this is all according to him, as always, grain of salt:
-Doedee was 50/50 on either us or Geelong, Geelong won out (no surprise there)
-Dogs are one of several clubs seeing if they can pry Barass out, the rumours of us going after him last off season are true, we asked the question.
-Dogs have also asked the question of Liam Ryan and Cam Rayner, sounds like we're looking for someone who can play that HFF/Midfield role
-From what he can gather from rumours floating around the industry, we are after a speedy mid, a winger and another developed defender, and are happy to use our draft currency to get it, Dogs very much see themselves ''in the window''.
-Eagles are more interested in Naughton than English, they see him as their future number 1 KPD, want him sooner than later and will wait for the right time to get him.
-English wants his next contract to be his last
-Neither SA club very interested in Williams hence the wanting to stay on with us statement released this week.
-Webb is back to WA at the end of this season, no contract extensions have been offered to Bubba or Spang, could see all 3 of them changed over this off season.
-Our salary cap is in a really good space, we have cash to splash and plan to throw it at what we need to get it through the door. He 100% confirmed to me that Hunters contract was re-negotiated and we aren't picking up a cent of it, coupled with the Dunkley money, Bruce/Keath front ended contracts winding down, JJ re-signed on supposedly half of what he was on, it's been managed really well. He also said that Naughton has been the second highest paid at our club for awhile now, just behind Bont.

Personally, no idea who to target to fix our list needs, there's a few players we could go after to fix holes but until our coaching is taken care of I don't care, that's the biggest problem for me, not the list.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 07:19 AM
Some interesting discussion in that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-06-2023, 07:48 AM
Some interesting discussion in that.

Tiem to do what you do best BT. crunch those numbers.

How do we get Barrass and or a Liam Ryan, Rayner type, maybe Lohmann is more an option? and keep enough capital to get Croft at draft time.
Also I want my cake and eat it too. No trade on Naughts or English!

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 08:06 AM
Tiem to do what you do best BT. crunch those numbers.

How do we get Barrass and or a Liam Ryan, Rayner type, maybe Lohmann is more an option? and keep enough capital to get Croft at draft time.
Also I want my cake and eat it too. No trade on Naughts or English!

To get Pick 1 (Harley), Barass, Rayner & Lohmann plus Croft - I’d happily hand over the firsts, a Future something & Naughton.

Dogs: Pick 1, Pick 19 & 53 (Port), Barass - for - Naughton, Pick 12 & 16 & 34

Dogs: Rayner, Lohmann, Pick 26 (GWS) - for - Pick 19 & F1

Dogs: Picks 26 & 53 to secure Croft (as high as about pick 12 if needed)

Dogs: Cash for Ben McKay as FA if we wanted a full back

But that ain’t never, ever, ever, ever happening. But if we are prepared to splash picks and cash, then it might be a fun off season.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 08:19 AM
More over I find the ‘we are still in our window’ most interesting. I think it’s time for a rebuild, but clearly (if true) the club thinks we are a few tweaks and a few new players off a flag. I’m not so sure.

mjp
23-06-2023, 10:09 AM
But that ain’t never, ever, ever, ever happening. But if we are prepared to splash picks and cash, then it might be a fun off season.

Thoughts on Bergman?

jeemak
23-06-2023, 10:17 AM
-Our salary cap is in a really good space, we have cash to splash and plan to throw it at what we need to get it through the door. He 100% confirmed to me that Hunters contract was re-negotiated and we aren't picking up a cent of it, coupled with the Dunkley money, Bruce/Keath front ended contracts winding down, JJ re-signed on supposedly half of what he was on, it's been managed really well. He also said that Naughton has been the second highest paid at our club for awhile now, just behind Bont.

Add the Hurley money to this and we should be big spenders!

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 10:17 AM
Thoughts on Bergman?

I like him personally. My musings with Gary yesterday were if a Croft bid interferes with the Brisbane first (circa pick 15-17 after matched bids) it might pay to trade that out for someone or something (as one on many options). That seems to be around a few early phantoms/power rankings. So I’d look at who we might get that is still young enough but talented enough to improve the list with a late first rounder. I’d think Bergman would be on the short list.

If you had to move on the Lions 1st for strategic reasons hypothetically, who would you like to realistically acquire with the pick?

Mantis
23-06-2023, 10:19 AM
More over I find the ?we are still in our window? most interesting. I think it?s time for a rebuild, but clearly (if true) the club thinks we are a few tweaks and a few new players off a flag. I?m not so sure.

There isn't too many holes in the team to get us up at the pointy of the ladder and from the players mentioned, or the type of player mentioned it seems we know where those gaps are.

If only there was a fix for shoddy goal-kicking!

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 10:20 AM

In somewhat seriousness, I’m a little surprised the media haven’t picked up on this yet (our spending power if we want to be aggressive this year). Or maybe it doesn’t sell or they don’t care?

bornadog
23-06-2023, 10:29 AM
Naughton to me is a must keep as is Tim

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 10:31 AM
There isn't too many holes in the team to get us up at the pointy of the ladder and from the players mentioned, or the type of player mentioned it seems we know where those gaps are.

I hope the club is right that we are on the cusp of contending, and as always the challenge is convincing players not to go to Richmond or Geelong... But if we could get good enough and young enough players to fill the gaps then maybe the list management team is right. To your latter point, add 5 goals to our tally each week including capitalising on momentum and that’s a fair start.

If we really believe we are contending, then forget my call of rebuild, then it needs to be all out aggression come trade time. We have picks and as much cash as any other club to wave around. We need to be brave enough to make some big calls, while knowing Croft is still ours for points and who knows about any NGAs slipping.

I wonder if we are so sure we are contending, why not find the cash to hire a specialist goal kicking coach. That probably makes more difference than most individual players.

GVGjr
23-06-2023, 10:43 AM
Thoughts on Bergman?

Talented player but whats his best position or where would he play for us?

EasternWest
23-06-2023, 10:49 AM
Ruck.

Scraggers
23-06-2023, 11:03 AM

Why do we refuse to get a goal kicking coach? I just don't get it?? There were two teams with their most accurate goal kickers in the 50% range ... us with Weightman and Hawthorn. Every other team had their most accurate goal kicker in the 60-70% range.

Axe Man
23-06-2023, 11:39 AM

I think we have some money stashed in the banana stand too.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 11:42 AM
I think we have some money stashed in the banana stand too.

Well I burned it down to the ground.

Rocco Jones
23-06-2023, 11:55 AM
In somewhat seriousness, I’m a little surprised the media haven’t picked up on this yet (our spending power if we want to be aggressive this year). Or maybe it doesn’t sell or they don’t care?

Yeah I don't think we sell nor does applying logic and reasoning, so it really doesn't matter too much if something might actually happen. Also, Power doesn't give much. Easier to just go big clubs will get guys, probably happens anyway, but better sell. Pies to get 'insert big name here'. By the time it is right or wrong, heaps of clicks.

Rocket Science
23-06-2023, 02:03 PM
More over I find the ?we are still in our window? most interesting. I think it?s time for a rebuild, but clearly (if true) the club thinks we are a few tweaks and a few new players off a flag. I?m not so sure.

You'd reckon the 'window' talk is rather more related to the Bont turning 28 next birthday (and offering Naughton/English more incentive to hang around) than the present list oozing legit premiership energy.

Irrespective, if we're going for it, Power's got some gaping holes to plug.

mjp
23-06-2023, 02:47 PM

Where would he play?

Well - I think he would slide between half-back and wing for the next 12-18 months then become a bit of a defend first mid as he moves into his mid-20's. He played on Jeremy Cameron last week (who isn't in great form I admit) but seemed to control that matchup and was strong and decisive in his movements to either win the footy or control Cameron's leading patterns.

Honestly? I see him as a Hargrave type defender who can play on smalls if he has too, talls if he needs too and essentially be a back 7 (if you count 1x winger as a defender in the way we seem to be lately) 'cover all' who can 'fix any problem'. I would say I see Morris qualities in him ('cos I do) but he seems to be better on the soft skills than Dale (UM, ball movement) and not quite as good at simply understanding that there are times when you simply need to get a hand in there and disrupt 'stuff' - but that is a very hard to define skill and not too many other players have EVER had it.

GVGjr
23-06-2023, 03:26 PM
Where would he play?

Well - I think he would slide between half-back and wing for the next 12-18 months then become a bit of a defend first mid as he moves into his mid-20's. He played on Jeremy Cameron last week (who isn't in great form I admit) but seemed to control that matchup and was strong and decisive in his movements to either win the footy or control Cameron's leading patterns.

Honestly? I see him as a Hargrave type defender who can play on smalls if he has too, talls if he needs too and essentially be a back 7 (if you count 1x winger as a defender in the way we seem to be lately) 'cover all' who can 'fix any problem'. I would say I see Morris qualities in him ('cos I do) but he seems to be better on the soft skills than Dale (UM, ball movement) and not quite as good at simply understanding that there are times when you simply need to get a hand in there and disrupt 'stuff' - but that is a very hard to define skill and not too many other players have EVER had it.

Terrific recommendation so thanks. I thought he was suitable to both a wing and a back flank role but given we have both Dale and Richards and probably JJ for another year it was likely that we would need him more as a winger.
The next question might be what sort of draft range pick would be needed to get him?

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 03:31 PM
Terrific recommendation so thanks. I thought he was suitable to both a wing and a back flank role but given we have both Dale and Richards and probably JJ for another year it was likely that we would need him more as a winger.
The next question might be what sort of draft range pick would be needed to get him?

For me, Brisbane’s First Rounder is about it in a strong draft abc him out of contract. We could sweeten it with a draft points trade that benefits us but pushed them up the order, picks permitting.

Mofra
23-06-2023, 04:47 PM
He'd take an intercept marking role ahead of a rebounding defender role.

GVGjr
23-06-2023, 05:01 PM
He'd take an intercept marking role ahead of a rebounding defender role.

So a role similar to what Doedee offers?

1eyedog
23-06-2023, 05:09 PM

Richards is better but I get your point.

1eyedog
23-06-2023, 05:14 PM
Thoughts on Bergman?

Would love him.

1eyedog
23-06-2023, 05:17 PM

Bang! Duryea replacement. Excellent player.

JanLorMill
23-06-2023, 06:26 PM
No surprise WC want Naughton more than English.

JanLorMill
23-06-2023, 06:31 PM
Why trade Naughton for Barass when they both could do the same role and Naughton has 4 years on Barrass. We would be silly to promote this.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 06:32 PM
Why trade Naughton for Barass when they both could do the same role and Naughton has 4 years on Barrass. We would be silly to promote this.

Not sure anyone has said that at all to be fair.

bornadog
23-06-2023, 06:42 PM
Is there even a remote chance we might be interested in recruiting Tom Doedee to match up against the bigger forwards?
Are we still talking about Doedee?
This means that someone like Caleb Daniel would never arrive at the Kennel and if he did he couldnt play anywhere other than as a forward.

If you followed the conversation, you wouldn't post this

JanLorMill
23-06-2023, 06:45 PM
Not sure anyone has said that at all to be fair.
Well the post you wrote with us getting pick 1 Barass lohman, Rayner. I know you said it won’t happen but you usually give us some great and very plausible trade scenarios. This one would be blocked not only at our club but 2 others.

bulldogtragic
23-06-2023, 06:56 PM
Well the post you wrote with us getting pick 1 Barass lohman, Rayner. I know you said it won’t happen but you usually give us some great and very plausible trade scenarios. This one would be blocked not only at our club but 2 others.

Ever, ever, ever. :)

Was just rolling rumours into a mega rumour. I don’t see Naughton requesting a trade this year. But the WCE rumours seem to be persisting. Which I find very interesting. But anything less than obscene return on Naughton shuts that discussion down on the spot. Making the rest a moot point.

Realistically, names like Bergman and Rayner are interesting enough. I hope Lohmann picks us. We need a KPD too it appears the more the season goes on. So maybe a guy like McKay comes more into frame, but Barass would be a better get. Not sure how we’d juggle multiple bigger trades without someone else of trade value going.

In any event, it sounds like an interesting off season for us.

Mofra
24-06-2023, 11:14 AM
So a role similar to what Doedee offers?
Yep. Identical.
There are some questions on his ball use as he's a bit like Crozier - kicks long, almost regardless of the situation.
Probably closer to Wood though as he doesn't just intercept, he takes his opponent out of the equation too. IIRC we were very into him in his draft year. More versatile than Wood as he's played HF as well and could feasibly play wing.

azabob
24-06-2023, 02:56 PM
Yep. Identical.
There are some questions on his ball use as he's a bit like Crozier - kicks long, almost regardless of the situation.
Probably closer to Wood though as he doesn't just intercept, he takes his opponent out of the equation too. IIRC we were very into him in his draft year. More versatile than Wood as he's played HF as well and could feasibly play wing.

I know you?ve been a fan of Bergman since his draft year and have regularly mentioned him as an option to filling a wing role.

Mofra
24-06-2023, 05:09 PM
I know you?ve been a fan of Bergman since his draft year and have regularly mentioned him as an option to filling a wing role.
Yeah. I know he's had criticisms over his kicking this year but it's a case of looking at what he does, not at what he doesn't do.

JanLorMill
24-06-2023, 06:39 PM
No one in their right mind will want to go to West coast next year.

GVGjr
24-06-2023, 07:49 PM

In terms of finals ambitions then probably not but there will be some interested if the club is willing to pay overs.

ledge
25-06-2023, 11:37 AM

Players who aren’t getting a chance at other clubs will , just to play senior footy eg Macrae at the pies .

Mofra
25-06-2023, 12:44 PM
There's every chance Dev Robertson gets significant overs to go back home and play regular senior footy.
I think he makes them better.

JanLorMill
26-06-2023, 07:52 AM
There's every chance Dev Robertson gets significant overs to go back home and play regular senior footy.
I think he makes them better.
Yes 150 points instead of 171.

The Doctor
27-06-2023, 08:26 AM
Cal Twomey thinks Liam Henry will be playing in Vic next year. Says Bulldogs could be in the mix

bulldogtragic
27-06-2023, 08:36 AM
Cal Twomey thinks Liam Henry will be playing in Vic next year. Says Bulldogs could be in the mix

What are they asking for him?

The Doctor
27-06-2023, 08:38 AM
What are they asking for him?

no mention of that, just that he is likely to head to Vic

I like Liam. I bought two of his ties and suggested he make bandanna's!

bornadog
27-06-2023, 08:51 AM
no mention of that, just that he is likely to head to Vic

I like Liam. I bought two of his ties and suggested he make bandanna's!

I bought one too.

Can he play?

The Doctor
27-06-2023, 09:24 AM
I bought one too.

Can he play?

good work BAD

I think he can.

Axe Man
27-06-2023, 09:52 AM
Henry coming off a career best game on the wing on the weekend. I guess we will get to see him up close on Saturday.

GVGjr
27-06-2023, 10:02 AM

It will be interesting to see how he performs against us this weekend.
He's been in and out of the team but capable of some brilliant football.

I was just looking at a heat map of his from the last game and it looks like he got a lot of possessions in the back line or wing.

Axe Man
27-06-2023, 10:10 AM
It will be interesting to see how he performs against us this weekend.
He's been in and out of the team but capable of some brilliant football.

I was just looking at a heat map of his from the last game and it looks like he got a lot of possessions in the back line or wing.

Played wing but his defensive teammates praised him for getting back and helping them out. He also had 4 inside 50s so sounds like he was covering a lot of ground (32 possessions and 514 metres gained).

GVGjr
27-06-2023, 10:23 AM
Henry coming off a career best game on the wing on the weekend. I guess we will get to see him up close on Saturday.

Thanks, I wasn't sure where he lined up but the heat map indicated he got most of his possessions across half back.

mjp
27-06-2023, 10:24 AM
Played wing but his defensive teammates praised him for getting back and helping them out. He also had 4 inside 50s so sounds like he was covering a lot of ground (32 possessions and 514 metres gained).

He played well but to say he was due is the understatement of the century.

Axe Man
27-06-2023, 10:55 AM
He played well but to say he was due is the understatement of the century.

Top 10 pick, 4th year in the system. Why has he struggled to make an impact thus far in his career?

mjp
27-06-2023, 11:04 AM
Top 10 pick, 4th year in the system. Why has he struggled to make an impact thus far in his career?

Can I say this?

"It's very hard to play when you're petrified?"

Doesn't run, wont stick his head over it. HARD PASS on signing up for the Liam Henry experience. Yes - he was good last week vs the Bombers but if you have 32 touches and your previous best was 21, what numbers should you be focussing on when considering whether or not to recruit a player to become part of your midfield.

Axe Man
27-06-2023, 11:36 AM
Can I say this?

Doesn't run, wont stick his head over it. HARD PASS on signing up for the Liam Henry experience. Yes - he was good last week vs the Bombers but if you have 32 touches and your previous best was 21, what numbers should you be focussing on when considering whether or not to recruit a player to become part of your midfield.

Thanks. Will be interesting to see if this was a breakout game or a false dawn.

EasternWest
27-06-2023, 01:31 PM
Can I say this?

Hit outs.

GVGjr
28-06-2023, 08:35 AM
The Henry to Dogs supposed interest is at best speculative and I'd say his manager is trying to create some options to get a good deal.

This from SEN

Fremantle wingman Liam Henry is still weighing up his future and will attract significant interest from Victorian clubs, according to leading journalist Mitch Cleary.

The 21-year-old had a career-best performance against Essendon, finishing with a career-high 32 disposals, 25 kicks and eight marks.

Cleary pointed out the Western Bulldogs, Melbourne and St Kilda as three teams who could be right in the mix.

“He’s still weighing up whether he wants to stay at that footy club and there’s going to be a heap of offers,” he told the Tradies Podcast.

“I want to talk about three (clubs) in Victoria. Clubs that I think will have a look and clubs are looking for outside speed and dash.

“The Bulldogs, their wings are a concern. He’s got a relationship with Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, so that’s something for the Bulldogs to consider.

“They’ve got the extra first round pick this year thanks to the deal for Josh Dunkley and they’ll look to get rid of those because they’ve got Matthew Croft’s son that they’ll have to move picks on and get a bit flexible with. There’s talk he could go (in the first round).

“Then you’ve got Melbourne. They’ve secured Kozzie Pickett. Kozzie has a relationship with Liam Henry and an extra first round pick as part of the Luke Jackson trade, ironically from Fremantle.

“And then St Kilda. Stephen Silvagni was at Carlton when the Blues bid on Liam Henry in the draft. SOS is now at the Saints. A bit of outside dash, with a decision still to come on Jade Gresham who is weighing up his footy future, keep an eye on the Saints for Liam Henry.”

Henry was selected with pick nine in the 2019 National Draft and has played the 34 games, struggling to lock down a spot in Freo’s best 22 until the last few weeks.

chef
28-06-2023, 09:28 AM
Can I say this?

Sounds like a very Un-Bevo type of player. Do not want.

mjp
28-06-2023, 11:28 AM

Watch him get another 30 this week followed by us offering 5-years at $650/.

Feel the excitement.

Axe Man
28-06-2023, 11:39 AM

Feel the excitement.

The Rory Lobb effect.

macca
28-06-2023, 01:10 PM

Feel the excitement.

We would be crazy to over Liam Henry those sort of numbers, take Brad Hill as comparison when he went to St Kilda.
His not a gun wingman and a poor mindfield means his numbers will plummet.

Maybe 20-30% less of those numbers could be a more reasonable offer, with incentives so he can improve his productivity.

Ed Langdon is the benchmark for wingman in terms of stats and effort every week.

mjp
28-06-2023, 01:16 PM
We would be crazy to over Liam Henry those sort of numbers, take Brad Hill as comparison when he went to St Kilda.
His not a gun wingman and a poor mindfield means his numbers will plummet.

Maybe 20-30% less of those numbers could be a more reasonable offer, with incentives so he can improve his productivity.

Ed Langdon is the benchmark for wingman in terms of stats and effort every week.

Brad Hill, Liam Henry, Ed Langdon...All former Dockers.

Bulldog Joe
28-06-2023, 01:38 PM

So has Liam jumped ship already.

Sedat
28-06-2023, 02:13 PM
The Rory Lobb effect.
Lobb was a remake. The original was the Daniel Bandy effect.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2023, 04:05 PM

Jeez, Bandy had one good year though.

I love the originals.

Bulldog Joe
28-06-2023, 04:10 PM

Wasn't Daniel Bandy a rerun of Kingsley Hunter

bulldogtragic
28-06-2023, 04:14 PM

That franchise was loco. Wirra, Wills & Koops too. Sequels never really as good.

azabob
28-06-2023, 04:17 PM
That franchise was loco. Wirra, Wills & Koops too. Sequels never really as good.

Brad Wira was a good footballer.

JanLorMill
28-06-2023, 04:19 PM
Sorry

EasternWest
28-06-2023, 04:21 PM

Where did Nathan Saunders for in?

JanLorMill
28-06-2023, 04:25 PM
Where did Nathan Saunders for in?
Richmond?

bulldogtragic
28-06-2023, 04:25 PM
Brad Wira was a good footballer.

Was more thinking of Koops. Wira was handy, I’ll pay that.

Rocket Science
28-06-2023, 04:38 PM
I cherish the 11 games that Koopsy donned our colours but it's seared into my brain that the pick we coughed up for the privilege was used to draft David freakin Mundy.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2023, 04:39 PM
I cherish the 11 games that Koopsy donned our colours but it's seared into my brain that the pick we coughed up for the privilege was used to draft David freakin Mundy.

Don’t forget a very high pick for Peter Street, Nathan Brown out and silky Rawlings in with Veale.

Good times!

Dry Rot
28-06-2023, 04:43 PM
Thread needs more Ben Harrison and Trent Bartlett.

Sedat
28-06-2023, 04:59 PM
Jeez, Bandy had one good year though.

I love the originals.
He had an awesome half-year. A bit like Loaf in 1997 and Cooky the year after.

Sedat
28-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Don’t forget a very high pick for Peter Street, Nathan Brown out and silky Rawlings in with Veale.

Good times!
Scott Bassett was a pick 30-odd pick trade in the same trade period as well from memory

bulldogtragic
28-06-2023, 05:07 PM
He had an awesome half-year. A bit like Loaf in 1997 and Cooky the year after.

Bandy: 29 goals, 16 behinds (45 scoring shots, 3 per game) in his first 16 games. Everyone in list management high fiving…

Bandy: Then 29 games, 17 goals, 12 behinds in 3.5 years (29 scoring shots, 1 per game). And gone…

Axe Man
28-06-2023, 05:16 PM
This has gone seriously off track - I was just referring to trading for Lobb after he had a good game against us last year.

EasternWest
28-06-2023, 05:35 PM
This has gone seriously off track - I was just referring to trading for Lobb after he had a good game against us last year.

Someone should make a thread where things like contracts and injuries etc can be kept on track.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2023, 05:50 PM

Stop it. You were calling out Bevo for his treatment of Schache and we’ve had enough. You’ve made your point Axe Man. I agree with you for record. Every thread you bring it back to this.

macca
28-06-2023, 06:14 PM

Is that a coincidence ? the irony is amazing in that.

They must develop good wingman over there.

Axe Man
28-06-2023, 06:20 PM
Is that a coincidence ? the irony is amazing in that.

They must develop good wingman over there.

Well Brad Hill was from Hawthorn and Henry has played 1 good game on the wing in his career.

Mofra
28-06-2023, 08:41 PM
Arty Jones at the year 2 mark is ahead of Henry at the same age. I'm not keen at all on Andrejs Everitt types who look classy but lack grit & intensity. I don't want a lot of players we've been linked to as I really want us to concentrate on keeping the best 22 players we already have, and hitting the draft.

I'll try not to bang on about taking a rookie ruckman this year, but we should...

Keeping Bailey Williams would be a higher priority to me. No trading for players who might make us marginally better.

Mofra
28-06-2023, 08:46 PM
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Who here makes us better? And of those players who would make us better, who would cost us less in draft capital/contract than what they add to our list?
I'd honestly rookie Joel Garner from Footscray ahead of trading for most OOC players. Poulter to get a 12 month extension & a full pre-season with us to show what he can do back in the system.

mjp
28-06-2023, 09:46 PM
Well Brad Hill was from Hawthorn and Henry has played 1 good game on the wing in his career.

Yeah. Brad Hill is from West Perth.

GVGjr
28-06-2023, 11:10 PM
Guess we can scratch Bergman from the shopping list

Port Adelaide young gun Miles Bergman is set to reject significant interest from his home state of Victoria and stay at Alberton.

The 21-year-old, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is believed to have agreed to a two-year extension at the Power.

Rival clubs keen on the half-back, such as St Kilda and Essendon, have been told he is remaining with Port.

Finer details of the new deal are being completed and an announcement is expected on Thursday.

Bergman has blossomed this season amid the club’s 11-game winning streak, playing all 14 matches, mostly at half-back.

He is averaging 14.4 disposals, 3.5 rebound 50s, 2.4 inside 50s and 5.7 contested possessions for the second-placed Power.

Axe Man
29-06-2023, 12:57 AM
Yeah. Brad Hill is from West Perth.

I know that and I’m sure you know Ed Langdon is from Melbourne. Not really what was being discussed though.

GVGjr
29-06-2023, 08:27 AM
Just reading that if a club was prepared to offer Ben McKay 800K a season North could potentially get pick 3 as compensation.
That's crazy compensation but a cashed up club might be able to swing another deal with them.

BT, we need you to look at some scenario's there.

hujsh
29-06-2023, 10:07 AM
Just reading that if a club was prepared to offer Ben McKay 800K a season North could potentially get pick 3 as compensation.
That's crazy compensation but a cashed up club might be able to swing another deal with them.

I feel we're pretty cashed up FWIW, Dukurly cash floating around

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 10:17 AM

We could never try to rig the system?

But if we did that. The easiest way would be a Draft Points trade.

They have Port?s First, Lions Third and Hawks Fourth rounders on top of theirs. Depending on where we finish, those teams finish and where Croft goes then a favourable Draft Points trade covers the entire thing up. Just swapping our Second Rounder for their 3rd rounder plus the Dees, our or Geelong Fourth this year for their Lions 3rd, their and Hawks 4ths nets us a Pick in the 40?s after a bid of Croft around Pick 20. Now end of First Round.

Our first rounders all shuffle back though and the risk of Croft and Lions pick being impacted by this shuffle and several GCS matched bids means we almost certainly need to trade that out for a player of worth.

So the effect (see full scenario in rolling draft thread) of this:

In: Pick 11 (likely 13 at least after shuffles), Ben McKay (KPD), traded player with Lions First (mid maybe), Jordan Croft (KPF) late first round, circa Pick 40 (best Available) and a late pick (best available) with rookie upgrade/s.

The only other way is if they wanted a contracted player of ours we didn?t and took some salary. But that would raise AFEL attention.

So McKay at $800,000 and say Pick 40 after landing Croft first round is the hypothetical you?re after? So the large salary is offset by Pick 40. What?s that worth, I guess is the next question?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2023, 10:22 AM

Crazy compensation.

Is he even that good?

Had a decent patch of games a year or two ago but I've never been overly impressed.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 10:22 AM
They get in: Pick 3, a second rounder (they don’t have one currently) and two fourth rounders

The pass out: McKay, 2 x 3rds and a Fourth Rounder

Pretty good deal for both clubs arguably. If you rate McKay.

Also, if Port finishes below Lions a guarantee not to bid on Croft.

Edit: unless they traded out a contracted player and paid some salary in 2024. The least to raise red flags to the AFEL would be Tarryn Thomas, or someone like him where his wage is an impediment to his trade. If the clubs and player all wanted it.

Again, if you rate McKay to $800,000 less what could be clawed back.

GVGjr
29-06-2023, 10:24 AM
Crazy compensation.

Is he even that good?

Had a decent patch of games a year or two ago but I've never been overly impressed.

He's a very average player and not worth 800K a season. If North can find a team to take him off their hands and where they land a top 3 pick as compensation they'll have done exceptionally well.

Bulldog Joe
29-06-2023, 10:57 AM
If we were to get Ben McKay I would be looking at trading with North to also get the pick 3.

What would we need to add to the 2 firsts we hold to get that from North.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 11:06 AM
If we were to get Ben McKay I would be looking at trading with North to also get the pick 3.

What would we need to add to the 2 firsts we hold to get that from North.

If I’m them I don’t trade it at all. But for argument sake, the Future First of ours too. Pick 3 for three late teen picks isn’t overly exciting for them I’m guessing. But they could go GCS first with two of our firsts and Port’s first.

Turn Pick 3 & 17 into Pick 8, 17 and F1.

That’s too rich for my blood.

Axe Man
29-06-2023, 11:10 AM
For what it's worth the media haven't linked us with McKay - Port and Essendon seem the be the favourites.

It is also irrelevant that pick 3 may seem to be overs for McKay. It's simply a product of the compensation formula that is based on the contract and players age. Offer him enough to trigger band 1 compensation and North get a pick straight after their own first round pick. If North had won more games the pick wouldn't be as high (eg Buddy when he left the Hawks).

bulldogtragic
29-06-2023, 11:18 AM
For what it's worth the media haven't linked us with McKay - Port and Essendon seem the be the favourites.

It is also irrelevant that pick 3 may seem to be overs for McKay. It's simply a product of the compensation formula that is based on the contract and players age. Offer him enough to trigger band 1 compensation and North get a pick straight after their own first round pick. If North had won more games the pick wouldn't be as high (eg Buddy when he left the Hawks).

I reckon North would love to lose him on a long term big dollar deal. If they nailed their top picks again, four top 5 players in 12 months would just what they need on field.

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2023, 01:18 PM

Good luck to any club offering 800K for him.

Worth no more than about 600K max IMO.

Axe Man
29-06-2023, 01:25 PM
Good luck to any club offering 800K for him.

Worth no more than about 600K max IMO.

He's restricted though - so if the contract offered isn't going to trigger band 1 compensation North can easily match and force a trade. The trading club then has a choice of paying McKay say $600k and having to give up perhaps a mid first round pick (or equivalent) or paying overs at $800k and preserving their draft capital.

mjp
29-06-2023, 01:27 PM
I know that and I’m sure you know Ed Langdon is from Melbourne. Not really what was being discussed though.

Pretty sure he came through the Dragons pathway.

I guess the point I was trying to make is Freo have a very specific TYPE they want in their wingers (hold their width, runners, not too fussed about the specifics of the kicking!) that seems to be touching a nerve across the league.

jazzadogs
29-06-2023, 06:23 PM
Pretty sure he came through the Dragons pathway.

I guess the point I was trying to make is Freo have a very specific TYPE they want in their wingers (hold their width, runners, not too fussed about the specifics of the kicking!) that seems to be touching a nerve across the league.

Can add Blake Acres to this discussion as well.

Mofra
30-06-2023, 12:09 PM

Media also haven't reported that in a few games he'll up his average games played per season from 7 to 8 games.

It's a huge contact for someone who hasn't yet proven they can get through a season at senior level

Axe Man
30-06-2023, 12:37 PM
Media also haven't reported that in a few games he'll up his average games played per season from 7 to 8 games.

It's a huge contact for someone who hasn't yet proven they can get through a season at senior level

For sure. I don't want him at $800k, but I understand why someone like Essendon might bite.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 05:28 PM

Can I say this?

Nailed it Mike. Absolutely nailed it.

hujsh
01-07-2023, 06:49 PM
To be fair to him, he got 33 touches and looked very composed and efficient doing so. Worth watching how he develops over the rest of the year.

bornadog
01-07-2023, 08:34 PM
To be fair to him, he got 33 touches and looked very composed and efficient doing so. Worth watching how he develops over the rest of the year.

I thought he was just about BOG

kruder
01-07-2023, 08:44 PM
Worth noting that Bains on radio said although they are not currently in negotiations that Bulldogs fans should feel confidence around the fact that Naughty and English both love the club and are really settled.

His comment sounded like negotiations are well under way and are positive at this stage.

GVGjr
01-07-2023, 08:47 PM
Worth noting that Baines on radio said although they are not currently in negotiations that Bulldogs fans should feel confidence around the fact that Naughty and English both love the club and are really settled.

His comment sounded like negotiations are well under way and are positive at this stage.

On the ABC today one of the commentators said Naughton still isn't a fan of Freo stemming back to his junior footy days and having to make room for their returning players. I like Naughton because holding a grudge is cool. :)

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 08:58 PM
I thought he was just about BOG

I didn’t think he overly hurt us, while his opponent (Poulter) had some crucial GA/SI and he made some crucial and very costly turnovers under pressure/perceived pressure when the game was in the balance. Sure he got touches, but I didn’t think he was close to BOG in totality of performance/impact.

Mofra
01-07-2023, 09:09 PM
So did Ghosty Lynch for a few games.
Jury still out for me - I'd take 15 disposals from a guy who defends over a guy running around loose

Grantysghost
01-07-2023, 09:19 PM
Henry was awesome today, I'd have him.

Not sure why the hate?

What am I missing. Didn't look phased by any physical stuff.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 09:37 PM
Henry was awesome today, I'd have him.

Not sure why the hate?

What am I missing. Didn't look phased by any physical stuff.

No hate, not interested. BTW he looked pretty phased when the poo was running down his leg when he let Williams waltz into goal at a key moment among other pressure turnovers.

Grantysghost
01-07-2023, 09:39 PM
No hate, not interested. BTW he looked pretty phased when the poo was running down his leg when he let Williams waltz into goal at a key moment among other pressure turnovers.

Ha. That was a great highlight.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2023, 09:41 PM
Ha. That was a great highlight.

Not for Henry and clubs concerned if he will always put his head over it.

hujsh
01-07-2023, 09:44 PM
So did Ghosty Lynch for a few games.
Jury still out for me - I'd take 15 disposals from a guy who defends over a guy running around loose

Sorry who?

Mofra
01-07-2023, 09:47 PM
Sorry who?
How dare you!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/143790/the-next-bob-murphy-dogs-rookie-brad-lynch-staying-grounded

EasternWest
01-07-2023, 10:01 PM
Didn't look phased by any physical stuff.

looked pretty phased when the poo.

Ok I'm going to have to step in now before this gets out of hand. Boys, the word you're looking for is"fazed".

hujsh
01-07-2023, 10:04 PM
How dare you!

https://www.afl.com.au/news/143790/the-next-bob-murphy-dogs-rookie-brad-lynch-staying-grounded

Okay he was the only player I could think of but I didn't think he could be who you were referring to.

Lynch, to me, never looked composed or efficient and he never had near 30 touches.

I dunno I think people are being harsh on his overall performance because of a single bad moment. Not sure he had an opponent who was more damaging than him either. If he keeps that general level of performance for the rest of the year and he wants to come to Victoria I think we'd be happy to have him.

Grantysghost
01-07-2023, 10:14 PM
Ok I'm going to have to step in now before this gets out of hand. Boys, the word you're looking for is"fazed".

Unless you're talking about his lack of spark.

kruder
04-07-2023, 08:47 PM
Liam Henry gets a lot of love from Dogs players on Instagram, hence my rumour is that he will be in the red white and blue next year.;)

bulldogtragic
04-07-2023, 08:49 PM
Liam Henry gets a lot of love from Dogs players on Instagram, hence my rumour is that he will be in the red white and blue next year.;)

Chad Wingard… :D

kruder
04-07-2023, 08:50 PM
Chad Wingard… :D

First name that came to mind!

jeemak
04-07-2023, 09:17 PM
The Chad made a great choice.......

soupman
04-07-2023, 10:23 PM
If we aren't still dirty about being spurned are we a chance to grab Chad this off season? Would come cheap, is 29, hasn't been great this year but would certainly be a lot cheaper in trade and contract value than last time round.

jeemak
04-07-2023, 10:27 PM
If we aren't still dirty about being spurned are we a chance to grab Chad this off season? Would come cheap, is 29, hasn't been great this year but would certainly be a lot cheaper in trade and contract value than last time round.

Yes, sign me up for the Chad.

Mofra
05-07-2023, 08:42 AM
The Chad made a great choice.......
No thanks.
Chronic calf injuries for a bloke that just "trained" but never did extras .

If we're going to trade for anyone, the have to be able to get on the paddock.

GVGjr
05-07-2023, 09:05 AM
No thanks.
Chronic calf injuries for a bloke that just "trained" but never did extras .

If we're going to trade for anyone, the have to be able to get on the paddock.

No one has ever doubted his talent and he was always great player especially in the early days but his arrival at the Hawks has also seen him miss more games than is ideal. He is lacking durability and given he is also soon to be 30yo it's not a good mix. He's clearly played his best football and any interested team would have to accept some cameo's.

Axe Man
05-07-2023, 09:41 AM
Any interest in some fringe Suns?

Clubs circle young key defender

Clubs looking for the next key back to bring into their club are assessing the VFL form of Gold Coast?s Caleb Graham, who only signed a four-year deal with the club last August.

The Suns have high hopes for 195cm defender Graham, but Charlie Ballard and Sam Collins are locked into the key defensive slots and top-10 pick Mac Andrew has emerged as a rising star.

With Joel Jeffrey also being trialled as a marking defender, Graham has slipped down the pecking order.

Clubs also have interest in unsigned midfielder Sam Flanders, one of the few remaining priority signing this year for the Suns.

Elijah Hollands, the No. 7 draft pick from 2020, has also attracted rival interest after playing the last 10 games in the VFL.

He is contracted to 2024 and the Suns would be crazy to let him go given his talent, with his VFL form modest as he averages 81 ranking points and 18 possessions on the wing.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-the-latest-contract-updates-and-trade-news-in-the-afl/news-story/8cf37df83bffe048334e9ad4407f0358)

bulldogtragic
05-07-2023, 10:04 AM
Yes.

GCS have a few things going on:

- Possibly three top 20 academy kids
- Which makes it the biggest draft points haul needed
- They need to cut seriously deep to use all the picks and points, some decent to ok player will have to go
- They need to be conservative with cash to keep the list together in the medium term

I’m prepared to bet the farm the first rounder is for sale and some handy players will need to be traded, hence I’ve been looking hard at them. Who or what we might want is the question. Don’t know enough of the names mentioned form, but talented kids and higher picks interest me.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2023, 10:13 AM
No one has ever doubted his talent and he was always great player especially in the early days but his arrival at the Hawks has also seen him miss more games than is ideal. He is lacking durability and given he is also soon to be 30yo it's not a good mix. He's clearly played his best football and any interested team would have to accept some cameo's.

He is clearly ready for Geelong.

They lost Shaun Higgins last year and have not replaced him.

Axe Man
05-07-2023, 10:35 AM
Yes.

GCS have a few things going on:

- Possibly three top 20 academy kids
- Which makes it the biggest draft points haul needed
- They need to cut seriously deep to use all the picks and points, some decent to ok player will have to go
- They need to be conservative with cash to keep the list together in the medium term

I?m prepared to bet the farm the first rounder is for sale and some handy players will need to be traded, hence I?ve been looking hard at them. Who or what we might want is the question. Don?t know enough of the names mentioned form, but talented kids and higher picks interest me.

Same article mentions Richmond are eyeing off the Suns first round pick having already traded theirs out for Hopper.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2023, 10:43 AM
Same article mentions Richmond are eyeing off the Suns first round pick having already traded theirs out for Hopper.

I reckon all other 17 clubs should want it, it’s available. If the Suns do it well, they could set up a bidding war and get overs. Will be very interesting to see what they can get for it and if they can manage it right.

Mofra
05-07-2023, 11:47 AM
Any interest in some fringe Suns?

Clubs circle young key defender

Clubs looking for the next key back to bring into their club are assessing the VFL form of Gold Coast?s Caleb Graham, who only signed a four-year deal with the club last August.

The Suns have high hopes for 195cm defender Graham, but Charlie Ballard and Sam Collins are locked into the key defensive slots and top-10 pick Mac Andrew has emerged as a rising star.

With Joel Jeffrey also being trialled as a marking defender, Graham has slipped down the pecking order.

Clubs also have interest in unsigned midfielder Sam Flanders, one of the few remaining priority signing this year for the Suns.

Elijah Hollands, the No. 7 draft pick from 2020, has also attracted rival interest after playing the last 10 games in the VFL.

He is contracted to 2024 and the Suns would be crazy to let him go given his talent, with his VFL form modest as he averages 81 ranking points and 18 possessions on the wing.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-the-latest-contract-updates-and-trade-news-in-the-afl/news-story/8cf37df83bffe048334e9ad4407f0358) Yes to Graham - he's an 'everywhere' player who was thrown into the ruck during the Suns ruck crisis a couple of years ago.
KPDs are in short supply across the comp right now

Sedat
05-07-2023, 12:01 PM
Yes to Graham - he's an 'everywhere' player who was thrown into the ruck during the Suns ruck crisis a couple of years ago.
Are we trying to stockpile every single Caleb and Baily in the competition?

Axe Man
05-07-2023, 12:04 PM

There has to be a Caleb Bailey out there somewhere.

bornadog
05-07-2023, 12:10 PM
There has to be a Caleb Bailey out there somewhere.

Wouldn't mind Caleb Serong

hujsh
05-07-2023, 12:34 PM

Someone has to quarantine them

Mofra
05-07-2023, 03:14 PM
I'd take Bailey Humphrey too thanks.

GVGjr
05-07-2023, 04:15 PM
Yes to Graham - he's an 'everywhere' player who was thrown into the ruck during the Suns ruck crisis a couple of years ago.

You were keen on him a couple of seasons ago weren't you?

GVGjr
05-07-2023, 09:07 PM
Port Adelaide is weighing up its ruck options for 2024 as the futures of three of its big men remain clouded.

With Scott Lycett, Brynn Teakle and Sam Hayes all out of contract at season’s end and uncertain to remain at the club, the Power is scouring the market for other talls.

Brisbane’s Darcy Fort and the Western Bulldogs’ Jordon Sweet are among the rival ruckmen Port has shown some interest in.

Both their deals expire at the end of the campaign.

Fort, who turns 30 next month, has played six games for the Lions this year, including the past two as the substitute, and 32 matches in total since 2019 for Brisbane and Geelong.

If the former Central District SANFL ruckman moved to the Power, it would be as a short-term solution while one-gamer Dante Visentini developed.

Sweet, 25, wants more opportunities at the top level after featuring in 11 matches across five seasons (none in 2023).

bornadog
05-07-2023, 09:12 PM
Port Adelaide is weighing up its ruck options for 2024 as the futures of three of its big men remain clouded.

With Scott Lycett, Brynn Teakle and Sam Hayes all out of contract at season’s end and uncertain to remain at the club, the Power is scouring the market for other talls.

Brisbane’s Darcy Fort and the Western Bulldogs’ Jordon Sweet are among the rival ruckmen Port has shown some interest in.

Fort, who turns 30 next month, has played six games for the Lions this year, including the past two as the substitute, and 32 matches in total since 2019 for Brisbane and Geelong.

If the former Central District SANFL ruckman moved to the Power, it would be as a short-term solution while one-gamer Dante Visentini developed.

Sweet, 25, wants more opportunities at the top level after featuring in 11 matches across five seasons (none in 2023).

Sweet is from SA isn't he?

GVGjr
05-07-2023, 09:13 PM
Sweet is from SA isn't he?

Yes he's from SA.

G-Mo77
05-07-2023, 09:17 PM

I do get the feeling Sweet is going to be one of those guys we discuss for a long time when he leaves. eg: Lipinski, Young etc.

Ironically Fort was with Footscray for a while as well.

bulldogtragic
05-07-2023, 09:17 PM
Let him go have a crack at making it, it’s not with us for whatever the reason (Sugar Free Zone post). So go with our blessing.

But we need to find a mature option if anything happened to Tim. So we need to add this to our trade list. The question is a fringe back up, some old dude, a state leaguer or a bonafide ruckman?

G-Mo77
05-07-2023, 09:20 PM
Let him go have a crack at making it, it’s not with us for whatever the reason (Sugar Free Zone post). So go with our blessing.

But we need to find a mature option if anything happened to Tim. So we need to add this to our trade list. The question is a fringe back up, some old dude, a state leaguer or a bonafide ruckman?

Yes we will need a backup, Fort would be handy.

jeemak
05-07-2023, 09:22 PM
If Sweet goes anywhere it'll likely just be for more money to do the same thing he's doing for us. Good luck to him.

macca
05-07-2023, 09:59 PM
Yes we will need a backup, Fort would be handy.

Darcy Fort is a very interesting player. Played in VFL for years, from reading it sounds he did not have Tank. Left Geelong and finally has found a place at Brisbane. Don't know if its the warm weather, but Brisbane seem to be able to get good output from Journeymen like him.

Lincon McCarthy, Lyon and Robertson( until he retired) are some examples.

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 08:21 AM
Darcy Fort is a very interesting player. Played in VFL for years, from reading it sounds he did not have Tank. Left Geelong and finally has found a place at Brisbane. Don't know if its the warm weather, but Brisbane seem to be able to get good output from Journeymen like him.

Lincon McCarthy, Lyon and Robertson( until he retired) are some examples.

They've used him as a sub a few times in the last two years which is strange. I can understand why Port might be interested.

Axe Man
06-07-2023, 09:47 AM
Every year there is a merry-go-round of second and third choice ruckmen swapping clubs from more opportunity because there just aren't many spots for rucks at AFL level. Fair enough Sweet wants to try his luck elsewhere and we are going to have to grab one from somewhere to replace him if he does leave.

bornadog
06-07-2023, 10:43 AM
Every year there is a merry-go-round of second and third choice ruckmen swapping clubs from more opportunity because there just aren't many spots for rucks at AFL level. Fair enough Sweet wants to try his luck elsewhere and we are going to have to grab one from somewhere to replace him if he does leave.

I would prefer we look for a young developing ruck, rather than a hasbeen.

hujsh
06-07-2023, 10:57 AM

Need both. Someone with potential in case English leaves or gets injured or gets old or whatever and someone as backup for the now. Lobb works as a break glass option

G-Mo77
06-07-2023, 11:13 AM
Need both. Someone with potential in case English leaves or gets injured or gets old or whatever and someone as backup for the now. Lobb works as a break glass option

Yeah, agree here. Assuming Tim stays long term we'll need a good backup, someone who is willing to sit at VFL until an opportunity arises while the other works on their craft. Get Tommy Campbell back!

Does anyone think Darcy could be moulded into a ruck option?

mjp
06-07-2023, 11:22 AM
They've used him as a sub a few times in the last two years which is strange. I can understand why Port might be interested.

Well...it is, but at the same time:

- If you go in with ONE ruck + a designated backup, well...that's OK. Unless that 'one' ruck gets injured and your 'designated backup' is not someone who you would be prepared to have ruck for the rest of the game. In that case, you might be prepared to nominate your SUB as a ruck and:
1/. That means you have a full 'book' of 22 players available for rotations UNLESS there is an injury.
2/. If the ONE injury that worries you happens, you DO have a viable ruck option who can take over and carry the load.

Would I do it? Probs not. But there is some logic in there that you could back up the decision with.

What is the Lions plan should Oscar go down? Daniher rucks the game out? Well - he's likely to break if they do that which will have season long implications...so I guess their plan is:

Oscar rucks with 5-mins per q from JD.
- If either of the above are injured, the sub (Fort) provides great cover.
- If another injury occurs, Daniher becomes a permanent forward and Fort provides ruck support from the bench with maybe 1x stint forward to give Daniher a rest each quarter.
- If there are ANY other injuries, they back themselves to be flexible with rotations and hold. After all, Dunks told us how fit they all are so maybe that's a SNAP!

GVGjr
06-07-2023, 03:35 PM

If we have learned anything from our investment in English it's going to take years to develop a player. We also need to acknowledge that getting someone like Martin 2 years late was not ideal either.
If we are to lose Sweet we are at the point where we need both a short term solution and then a longer term investment.
Sadly we might just take the short term option.

ledge
06-07-2023, 07:17 PM
If we have learned anything from our investment in English it's going to take years to develop a player. We also need to acknowledge that getting someone like Martin 2 years late was not ideal either.
If we are to lose Sweet we are at the point where we need both a short term solution and then a longer term investment.
Sadly we might just take the short term option.

Remember we do have Darcy and Croft who at over 200cm could be trained to be ruckman . Darcy was doing a bit of it in the twos .

jeemak
06-07-2023, 07:41 PM
The club has talked about Darcy likely being a forward ruck.

We have Lobb for two more years.

I think we need to look at someone roughly of the same age to replace Sweet if he leaves and find someone to develop on the rookie/ supplementary lists.

Vred
07-07-2023, 06:04 AM
-Dogs are in the hunt for Barrass, as are Sydney, he is gettable for the right price, WCE want first round picks and are happy to sell the farm to get them.
-Dogs showing interest in Jack Ginnivan, disgruntled with lack of opp at Collingwood since Bobby came in.
-Dogs showing interest in Sam Flanders, wants more midfield opportunity, GCS need points and list spots.
-Liam Henry 90% coming to us, turns out we've been in his ear since the start of the season.

Doedee is all but signed with Geelong at this point, waiting for season to be over to make it official, don't be surprised if his the first trade of the trade period.

We either need to start playing Cleary in the Duryea role or we need to find another developed and season small lockdown defender, cannot go into next season with just Duryea in that role.

EasternWest
07-07-2023, 07:34 AM
Thanks Vred top shelf stuff.

Grantysghost
07-07-2023, 07:39 AM
-Dogs are in the hunt for Barrass, as are Sydney, he is gettable for the right price, WCE want first round picks and are happy to sell the farm to get them.
-Dogs showing interest in Jack Ginnivan, disgruntled with lack of opp at Collingwood since Bobby came in.
-Dogs showing interest in Sam Flanders, wants more midfield opportunity, GCS need points and list spots.
-Liam Henry 90% coming to us, turns out we've been in his ear since the start of the season.

Doedee is all but signed with Geelong at this point, waiting for season to be over to make it official, don't be surprised if his the first trade of the trade period.

We either need to start playing Cleary in the Duryea role or we need to find another developed and season small lockdown defender, cannot go into next season with just Duryea in that role.

I'd be happy with all that!

Barrass #1 if I could choose.

GVGjr
07-07-2023, 08:18 AM

That's a substantial shopping list. I'm not sure we have the picks to get it done but it's early days.
Thanks for sharing Vred

JanLorMill
07-07-2023, 08:54 AM

No thanks on Ginnivan. He is one those 'better players in Collingwood top' type.

A lockdown small defender should not be hard to find, they generally aren't first or second round picks. Sometimes failed mids or forwards. We recruit from Footscray vfl all the time, there must be one there.

bornadog
07-07-2023, 08:59 AM
No thanks on Ginnivan. He is one those 'better players in Collingwood top' type.

Last year he kicked 40 goals as a 19 year old. I will have him any time

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 09:32 AM
That's a substantial shopping list. I'm not sure we have the picks to get it done but it's early days.
Thanks for sharing Vred

If correct, and if Croft rises again, then trading out both first rounders and draft point trading the second becomes a reality. Add in a future pick, and we could probably get a few good players.

But they’d want to be good players to sit out another top end of a draft for a F/S. A part from Barass, there’s nothing that screams get them all. Flanders at a good price sure. Henry I have doubts on. Depends on Ginnivan’s trade price.

With our cash surplus I’m surprised no free agents mentioned so far or closely linked to us.

bornadog
07-07-2023, 09:35 AM
With our cash surplus I’m surprised no free agents mentioned so far or closely linked to us.

If the Doedee one is true then disappointing we weren't in his ear. Maybe the ACL put us off.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 09:37 AM
If the Doedee one is true then disappointing we weren't in his ear. Maybe the ACL put us off.

To paraphrase EW, we might have been in it, but he close the coastal life$tyle over us. Or so a rumour goes.

EasternWest
07-07-2023, 09:39 AM

Maybe the lack of Coa$tal Life$tyle puts him off.

I'm sorry, I know I flog this dead horse but there's obviously something so openly corrupt there it's laughable.

Sedat
07-07-2023, 09:55 AM
Maybe the lack of Coa$tal Life$tyle puts him off.

I'm sorry, I know I flog this dead horse but there's obviously something so openly corrupt there it's laughable.
You and I sit in seats 1A and 1B of that particular bandwagon. And I reckon TBB is in seat 1C.

EasternWest
07-07-2023, 09:57 AM
You and I sit in seats 1A and 1B of that particular bandwagon. And I reckon TBB is in seat 1C.

I'm not quite on your level yet - you've got a Stadium named after you.

hujsh
07-07-2023, 10:00 AM

Can I be row 2?