PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 8 vs GWS

GVGjr
29-04-2023, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Seven match against Hawthorn for our Round Eight match against GWS at Manuka Oval on Saturday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

westbulldog
29-04-2023, 08:36 PM
IN
Gardner
Cleary
Libba

Out
Keath
Duryea
McNeill

reprieve for Weightman

GVGjr
29-04-2023, 09:07 PM
I thought Keath was quite solid today.

JanLorMill
29-04-2023, 09:14 PM
I thought Keath was quite solid today.
Started poorly and got better

bornadog
29-04-2023, 09:16 PM
Who comes out for Libba?

GVGjr
29-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Who comes out for Libba?

Has to be McNeil because he missed his chances to score goals.

azabob
29-04-2023, 09:23 PM

That has been his biggest flaw his whole career. If he can start taking his chances he will become an important cog.

Grantysghost
29-04-2023, 10:15 PM

Scott and his 10 metre snaps weren't much better.

At least he had 5 tackles, Weightman and Jones 2 between them.

Stays for mine.

Out Duryea
In Libba

JanLorMill
29-04-2023, 11:05 PM
I’d replace Dureya if we had a like for like. We don’t.

Jasper
29-04-2023, 11:45 PM
That has been his biggest flaw his whole career. If he can start taking his chances he will become an important cog.

For sure. He has pace and depth in his kicking plus he cracks in but has to convert his chances more.

bornadog
29-04-2023, 11:50 PM

What about Cleary? Did well in the VFL today

GVGjr
29-04-2023, 11:54 PM

He has to be close.

Scorlibo
30-04-2023, 12:17 AM

He has to be close.

Get him in I say. Others have been given opportunity for far lesser output than what Luke has produced so far this season, and he's got some clear AFL traits.

The Doctor
30-04-2023, 12:50 AM
In: Libba, Gards

Out: McNeill, O’Brien

Grantysghost
30-04-2023, 07:25 AM

Caleb back, Libba in?

Bumper Bulldogs
30-04-2023, 08:06 AM
In. Libba
Out. O’Brien

Doc needs do get the job to shut down Green this week. This is all that matters

Dogs 24/7
30-04-2023, 08:18 AM

Out: McNeill, O?Brien

Was O'Brien that bad?

Grantysghost
30-04-2023, 08:44 AM
Was O'Brien that bad?

He had a really solid game, no way he gets dropped.

Jones has taken Gardy's spot I think. He may struggle to get back in.

Having said that - could also depend on match ups.

GWS aren't hugely tall.

Hogan is in good form, Himmelberg too. They do have a few small/mid sized. Daniels, Ohalloran.

JanLorMill
30-04-2023, 09:25 AM
Would you put Cleary on Toby Greene because Dureya has to be an option.

Grantysghost
30-04-2023, 09:29 AM

Richards maybe?

Bulldog Legend
30-04-2023, 10:28 AM

Out: McNeill, O?Brien
Neither of those players are being dropped

Libba for Maclean and maybe Cleary for Duryea

hujsh
30-04-2023, 10:29 AM
The only downside to O'Briens game is he got beat in the aerial contest once or twice by Mitch Lewis, which if we want someone to compete on those players 1v1 we should replace him with Gardner, and he dropped an uncontested intercept that lead to a goal.

Thought he was better last week though TBH. His inclusion probably lasts until we need 3 genuine talls then it's back to VFL

hujsh
30-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Neither of those players are being dropped

Libba for Maclean and maybe Cleary for Duryea

Who actually comes out for Libba? Unless Libba is the sub.

Dogs 24/7
30-04-2023, 10:34 AM
The only downside to O'Briens game is he got beat in the aerial contest once or twice by Mitch Lewis, which if we want someone to compete on those players 1v1 we should replace him with Gardner, and he dropped an uncontested intercept that lead to a goal.

Thought he was better last week though TBH. His inclusion probably lasts until we need 3 genuine talls then it's back to VFL

Lewis was impressive and there is no shame in being beaten in a contest or two by him.
I think OBrien can play on the mid sized players and pinch hit on the bigger boys when Keath or Jones need a spell.

Jasper
30-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Who gets Toby Greene is a big challenge for us because our smaller players are all attacking players.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 11:05 AM

Richards maybe?

Agree Richards. Greene is pretty good in the air and would test Duryea.

jazzadogs
30-04-2023, 11:06 AM
Lewis was impressive and there is no shame in being beaten in a contest or two by him.
I think OBrien can play on the mid sized players and pinch hit on the bigger boys when Keath or Jones need a spell.

There was one contest right on the goal line where TOB objectively misjudged the ball and lost body contact with Lewis, but other than that I thought he was fine.

The interesting thing about that contest was Ferg Greene being the one who got in TOBs face about it. For a guy who had 6 touches he had a fair bit to say.

Grantysghost
30-04-2023, 11:10 AM
There was one contest right on the goal line where TOB objectively misjudged the ball and lost body contact with Lewis, but other than that I thought he was fine.

The interesting thing about that contest was Ferg Greene being the one who got in TOBs face about it. For a guy who had 6 touches he had a fair bit to say.

That was odd. Must've been some lip, or something historical from Box Hill.

Ferg was pretty much the way I remembered him.

Lewis is a tough match up he's supreme in the air. You need to do the old Brian Lake body nudge the forward under the ball trick.
Can't let him have a free jump at it.

JanLorMill
30-04-2023, 11:11 AM
Agree Richards. Greene is pretty good in the air and would test Duryea.
Greene kicked 7 against us last year in a game where Dureya got injured early. He was the starting option.

JanLorMill
30-04-2023, 11:13 AM

what about dropping the uncontested mark in the last quarter that the hawks scored from?

bornadog
30-04-2023, 11:14 AM
Greene kicked 7 against us last year in a game where Dureya got injured early. He was the starting option.

So you think Duryea should play on Greene?

robb
30-04-2023, 11:18 AM
Thought we were very flat against hawthorn. Reminded me of the Saints game in parts. Libba is a certainty in. Would think McNeil to sub and McLean to play VFL. After a few weeks on the road hopefully we will get our pressure mojo back for GWS

JanLorMill
30-04-2023, 11:22 AM
So you think Duryea should play on Greene?
Best defensive option we have. Richards, JJ and Caleb are more attacking options. Doubt we will play a 5th gamer (Cleary) on their best player.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 11:29 AM
Best defensive option we have. Richards, JJ and Caleb are more attacking options. Doubt we will play a 5th gamer (Cleary) on their best player.

But you said you would drop Duryea?

azabob
30-04-2023, 12:11 PM

If we had a like for like. We don’t, so I take that as Duryea stays in.

JanLorMill
30-04-2023, 12:26 PM
No sorry. I wouldn’t

Bullies
30-04-2023, 01:08 PM
If we had a like for like. We don’t, so I take that as Duryea stays in. A lot of people under estimate the role Duryea plays down back. He is our leader down back. Just watch off the ball the way he calls back and tells who to go and when. It is no coincedence that a lot of the time he is not playing our backs lose their way. He also plays a key role in picking up a key forward ie: Cameron/Green. Until you have someone who can do his role he stays. It will more than likely be his last year so hopefully Cleary can step up in the coming weeks.

hujsh
30-04-2023, 01:19 PM
Dureya was often the only one that was actually able to competently tackle a few times this week when everyone else kept getting shrugged off.

Happy Days
30-04-2023, 01:55 PM
I’m watching the game now, haven’t seen the intercept drop yet but no way O’Brien gets dropped. He’s been really good and has been since he came in.

Happy Days
30-04-2023, 02:28 PM
Okay just saw the drop, which yes was bad but that goal is completely on Macrae jogging to the fall of the ball and letting Newcombe get a 10m gap on him.

EasternWest
30-04-2023, 02:35 PM
Okay just saw the drop, which yes was bad but that goal is completely on Macrae jogging to the fall of the ball and letting Newcombe get a 10m gap on him.

If we dropped players over one howler, it'd be a rotating side.

O'Brien is fine and has been fine and should not be even in the conversation at the moment.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-04-2023, 02:51 PM

Yep that's what I called at the time. Didn't realise it was Macrae but it was completely on the mids not manning up and applying pressure at the drop.

Happy Days
30-04-2023, 02:51 PM
If we dropped players over one howler, it'd be a rotating side.

O'Brien is fine and has been fine and should not be even in the conversation at the moment.

So we shouldn’t drop Macrae?

EasternWest
30-04-2023, 02:57 PM
So we shouldn’t drop Macrae?

To be honest I barely notice Macrae one way or the other these days so I'll leave that to others that watch him more closely.

bornadog
30-04-2023, 05:02 PM
A lot of people under estimate the role Duryea plays down back. He is our leader down back. Just watch off the ball the way he calls back and tells who to go and when. It is no coincedence that a lot of the time he is not playing our backs lose their way. He also plays a key role in picking up a key forward ie: Cameron/Green. Until you have someone who can do his role he stays. It will more than likely be his last year so hopefully Cleary can step up in the coming weeks.

Spot on Bullies.

Mantis
01-05-2023, 10:39 AM
To be honest I barely notice Macrae one way or the other these days so I'll leave that to others that watch him more closely.

It’s sad state of affairs that our VC and someone who is in year 1 of a 5 year deal has become largely invisible.

jazzadogs
01-05-2023, 11:18 AM
It’s sad state of affairs that our VC and someone who is in year 1 of a 5 year deal has become largely invisible.

Gee I thought he was good again on the weekend. He had a really poorly start to the year but is back to his best the last few weeks. 26 touches (=4th on ground), 6 clearances (=4th), 7 tackles (1st), 33 pressure acts (1st). He has noticeably ramped up his pressure and is working harder between contests - there was some really embarrassing footage from the Saints game.

Grantysghost
01-05-2023, 11:23 AM
Gee I thought he was good again on the weekend. He had a really poorly start to the year but is back to his best the last few weeks. 26 touches (=4th on ground), 6 clearances (=4th), 7 tackles (1st), 33 pressure acts (1st). He has noticeably ramped up his pressure and is working harder between contests - there was some really embarrassing footage from the Saints game.

He really stepped it up v Freo. Wish I could work out if / how his role has changed this season.

He certainly is spending far more time at half forward.

chef
01-05-2023, 11:52 AM
Macrae has been very good since the first couple of weeks imo, one thing i have noticed is hes putting a lot more heat on his tackles too. Apparently Bevo had a bit of a heart to heart with him after the Saints game and he's back in form.

Ozza
01-05-2023, 02:10 PM
IN
Gardner
Libba

Out
O'Brien
McNeil moves to sub.

Although I'm sure its futile and O'Brien will stay in.

Mofra
01-05-2023, 02:11 PM
IN
Gardner
Libba

Out
O'Brien
McNeil moves to sub.

O'Brien was ok but Gardner as 2nd KPD and Keath to the interceptor role makes sense

hujsh
01-05-2023, 02:17 PM
Objectively speaking has Keath or O'Brien been better in the intercepting role?

bornadog
01-05-2023, 02:26 PM

Keath averaging 4.8 marks (all marks), and TOB 5.7 this season.

TOB is not a KPD

DISHLICKERS
01-05-2023, 02:35 PM
Keath averaging 4.8 marks (all marks), and TOB 5.7 this season.

TOB is not a KPD

TOB is getting some continuity after injuries had him stop start.

I think he is building nicely and now is not the time to drop him.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2023, 02:55 PM
I think TOB is going well and suits the 3rd defensive tall spot in our side.

- Keath or Gardy competing for a spot this week, fine with either
- Libba in for Scott, Arty or McNeil (whoever misses becomes sub)

derb
01-05-2023, 03:45 PM
McNeil's addition to the side adds more zip and movement. Has to stay in for mine.

I don't see it with Scott but if we drop him for Libba it will be more of the same.. midfielders plugging holes.
Tough selection headache for this week.

When can we start playing O'Donnell ?

bornadog
01-05-2023, 03:49 PM
I think TOB is going well and suits the 3rd defensive tall spot in our side.

- Keath or Gardy competing for a spot this week, fine with either
- Libba in for Scott, Arty or McNeil (whoever misses becomes sub)

Arty had his best game - I wouldn't be dropping him

bornadog
01-05-2023, 03:50 PM
When can we start playing O'Donnell ?

He is building nicely but two games since 2019 - may need some extra time.;)

GVGjr
01-05-2023, 04:19 PM
IN
Gardner
Libba

Out
O'Brien
McNeil moves to sub.

Ozza, do you think TOB has been a bit disappointing or is it more that you think Gards fits our requirements better in the short term?

Rocco Jones
01-05-2023, 05:12 PM
Arty had his best game - I wouldn't be dropping him

Look, 'his best game' is very relative but I wouldn't drop him either. I actually liked seeing Arty, Scott and McNeil in the side, more of a focus on roles that help the side rather than picking best 22 individuals and being overloaded with mids or HBFs.

I thought McNeil looked the most ominous of the three but as others have mentioned, he needs to start nailing his chances. I'd actually go with Scott as a sub but see the trio as pretty even in value atm and largely dependent on roles we have in minded for them.

Rocco Jones
01-05-2023, 05:14 PM

For mine it's about TOB's kicking. Think we need it playing 3 tallish KPDs. Jones, Keath and Gardy all not great with the ball. TOB fits whoever we play alongside Jones more.

lemmon
01-05-2023, 05:28 PM
For mine it's about TOB's kicking. Think we need it playing 3 tallish KPDs. Jones, Keath and Gardy all not great with the ball. TOB fits whoever we play alongside Jones more.

Agree with this. The interceptor is quite often the distributor too, by nature of the role.

Keath is the worst-decision maker in our side at the moment, I'm not sure I want him getting the footy more than he is. Think Keath's best moments in the last fortnight have been when he's asked to be accountable - I prefer him playing the second lock-down role after Jones and competing with Gardiner for that spot.

I see O'Brien more as Bruce's replacement than anything. Think he's been pretty good over the last few weeks and is showing his best form as a Dog.

1eyedog
01-05-2023, 06:33 PM

Yeah he's changed how he plays and where he puts his energy to fill a bit of the Dunkley void and I reckon he's going along fine. Pressure acts. Love it. I'd like to say a case in point but that point is moot.

Ozza
02-05-2023, 12:06 AM
Ozza, do you think TOB has been a bit disappointing or is it more that you think Gards fits our requirements better in the short term?

Sounds a bit simple, but I want our best players in the side - and I don?t think O?Brien is close to that. And with GWS having 3 x 195cm+ forwards, this is a good week for Gardner to come back in and shut one down.

Mantis
02-05-2023, 08:41 AM
Sounds a bit simple, but I want our best players in the side - and I don?t think O?Brien is close to that. And with GWS having 3 x 195cm+ forwards, this is a good week for Gardner to come back in and shut one down.

Hogan, Cadman & Himmelberg? Surely O'Brien can take Cadman.... if Cadman gets selected.

And I would think Himmelberg might go back this week given our height in attack and with Taylor still missing.

Ozza
02-05-2023, 08:51 AM
Hogan, Cadman & Himmelberg? Surely O'Brien can take Cadman.... if Cadman gets selected.

And I would think Himmelberg might go back this week given our height in attack and with Taylor still missing.

I'm sure he could, but Gardner is a better footballer and I'd prefer him in the side. We are also 2 weeks off running into Curnow and McKay which I'd like him back for.

I think our best deep defence has Jones and Gardner as the two key/deepest pillars. O'Brien is really competing with Keath moving forward in my view. Keath is looking leaner to me this year, which makes sense as Jones, Bruce and Gardner would have been earmarked to play on the monsters.

Bulldog4life
02-05-2023, 10:34 AM
It?s sad state of affairs that our VC and someone who is in year 1 of a 5 year deal has become largely invisible.

Not anyway invisible to me. Then I don't drink anymore.

Happy Days
02-05-2023, 10:35 AM
I’d rather Himmelberg play forward than back. He’s a fantastic interceptor, even better ball user and the exact sort of player that carves us up behind the ball.

I’d also rather him playing for us next year instead of GWS if we can get it together.

Dogs 24/7
02-05-2023, 11:30 AM

OBrien is 193cm, is a 2 or 3cm difference in height really a concern? We cant have perfect match ups everywhere.
Im not sure why we use heights in determining best match ups especially when we arent talking about the games elite players.
Im all for getting Gardner in but he has to earn it doesnt he?

Dogs 24/7
02-05-2023, 11:33 AM
I'm sure he could, but Gardner is a better footballer and I'd prefer him in the side. We are also 2 weeks off running into Curnow and McKay which I'd like him back for.

I think our best deep defence has Jones and Gardner as the two key/deepest pillars. O'Brien is really competing with Keath moving forward in my view. Keath is looking leaner to me this year, which makes sense as Jones, Bruce and Gardner would have been earmarked to play on the monsters.

Sorry I didnt see this until I responded to an earlier post of yours. Like the logic.

Bulldog Joe
02-05-2023, 05:43 PM

I want Gardner in this week, particularly with Carlton the following week. I think there is room for Jones, Gardner and Keath.

I am more concerned with Duryea who is clearly on the decline.

GVGjr
02-05-2023, 05:49 PM
I want Gardner in this week, particularly with Carlton the following week. I think there is room for Jones, Gardner and Keath.

This is a good suggestion and has a bit of forward planning to it.
The question for many would be how can we drop a player in good form for someone in questionable form. I get that Gards is more capable of playing on key forwards but it can't be an easy decision.

bornadog
02-05-2023, 05:54 PM
I still think only one change this week.

In Libba

Out McNeil - replace Toby as sub.

GVGjr
02-05-2023, 05:57 PM
I still think only one change this week.

In Libba

Out McNeil - replace Toby as sub.

Big chance that is the only change we will make.

Ozza
03-05-2023, 01:15 PM

I agree on Doc. He is still important for the team right now - but we need to be preparing for after him with some urgency as he looks like a player that will struggle to compete beyond this year.

Ozza
03-05-2023, 03:27 PM
This is a good suggestion and has a bit of forward planning to it.
The question for many would be how can we drop a player in good form for someone in questionable form. I get that Gards is more capable of playing on key forwards but it can't be an easy decision.

Bit of a stretch for me to consider O'Brien in good form.
Gardner was probably best on ground in the VFL on the weekend - and has certainly done his time coming back through the VFL since the last weekend in March.

Stevo
03-05-2023, 04:23 PM
Bit of a stretch for me to consider O'Brien in good form.
Gardner was probably best on ground in the VFL on the weekend - and has certainly done his time coming back through the VFL since the last weekend in March.

Bit harsh there Ozza. I want Gardner in the side but TOB has done more than enough to hold his spot.

bornadog
03-05-2023, 06:06 PM
Libba new look, ready for Saturday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvLyIWJakAAXH0S?format=jpg&name=large

GVGjr
03-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Missing his mo.

kruder
03-05-2023, 07:45 PM
Missing his mo.

Im not sure he is thinking straight ;)

Bumper Bulldogs
03-05-2023, 09:55 PM
Libba new look, ready for Saturday

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvLyIWJakAAXH0S?format=jpg&name=large

Still can identify him by the Tattoos

Bulldog Joe
04-05-2023, 12:25 AM

Libba is identified by being Libba

D Mitchell
04-05-2023, 03:53 AM

Tattoos ? I looked at the boots, Yes, Bob Murphy. Hang on.....

Rocco Jones
04-05-2023, 11:23 AM
With players at level of Gardy, Keath and TOB, I believe it's largely the duo that fits in best with Jones. TOB might be the third 'best' individual player but I think he fits best due to his foot skills and 1:1 defending less of a priority in 3rd tall role. I'd prefer not to play Keath and Gardy alongside Jones as all are a worry with the ball in hand. I have Gardner over Keath atm.

1eyedog
04-05-2023, 12:06 PM
Jones > Gardner > TOB.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2023, 12:16 PM
Jones > Gardner > TOB.

I'd play those three too. Not about TOB being a better player than Keath. I probably think Keath is a 'better player' but TOB fits being alongside Jones + Gardner better.

Axe Man
04-05-2023, 12:30 PM
Bruce could be back in 2 or 3 weeks as well. Could be a (good) headache for the match committee if all 5 KPDs are fit at once.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 12:51 PM
With players at level of Gardy, Keath and TOB, I believe it's largely the duo that fits in best with Jones. TOB might be the third 'best' individual player but I think he fits best due to his foot skills and 1:1 defending less of a priority in 3rd tall role. I'd prefer not to play Keath and Gardy alongside Jones as all are a worry with the ball in hand. I have Gardner over Keath atm.

Agree - not sure the MC will though. Keath has been solid I guess; is there really that much difference between the two?

I can't see Keath losing his spot any time soon. Which means I can't really see Gardner coming in any time soon.

When we had all available the preferred trio, irrespective of match-ups was Bruce, Jones, Keath.

Personally I would've thought Gardy was more like for like to replace Bruce, so I really don't know why they'd change their position now.

Axe Man
04-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Agree - not sure the MC will though. Keath has been solid I guess; is there really that much difference between the two?

I can't see Keath losing his spot any time soon. Which means I can't really see Gardner coming in any time soon.

When we had all available the preferred trio, irrespective of match-ups was Bruce, Jones, Keath.

Personally I would've thought Gardy was more like for like to replace Bruce, so I really don't know why they'd change their position now.

We haven't had all available though. Gardner has taken some time to get back up to speed and now is probably the first time he is ready to return to the senior side. TOB was also injured and obviously Bruce more recently. We still don't know the match committees' preferred 3 and that can be a quickly changeable position in any case.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 01:24 PM
We haven't had all available though. Gardner has taken some time to get back up to speed and now is probably the first time he is ready to return to the senior side. TOB was also injured and obviously Bruce more recently. We still don't know the match committees' preferred 3 and that can be a quickly changeable position in any case.

You make a fine point sir.

bornadog
04-05-2023, 01:29 PM
Bruce could be back in 2 or 3 weeks as well. Could be a (good) headache for the match committee if all 5 KPDs are fit at once.

I still think TOB is a third tall and not a KPD. Ideally he should play on players like Fritsch, ie the medium to tall forwards.

Rocco Jones
04-05-2023, 01:52 PM
I still think TOB is a third tall and not a KPD. Ideally he should play on players like Fritsch, ie the medium to tall forwards.

Yeah rather than just height, I'd say not on monsters or guys who are really strong overhead.

Axe Man
04-05-2023, 03:10 PM

I knew you would say this, I was almost going to qualify it especially for you. :D

Whether you think he is a KPD or not that is the role he is playing at the moment, therefore he is a KPD for the purposes of this discussion. Call him a third tall if you like but he is playing as a member of the big 3 down back so he is a part of the discussion on the makeup of that trio. I don't think we can play 3 big guys plus TOB.

His primary matchup obviously shouldn't be a monster but they often have to swap in play so he will inevitably end up opposed to big opponents at times, like Lewis last week.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 03:31 PM
With Tim it's not just about height, he's quite an athletic profile so can't expect him to have any chance against the biggest forwards other than as an intercept spoiler.

GVGjr
04-05-2023, 04:21 PM
With Tim it's not just about height, he's quite an athletic profile so can't expect him to have any chance against the biggest forwards other than as an intercept spoiler.

There is a tendency to focus too much on height and at 193cm and athletic TOB is capable of playing on a wide range of opponents and that might suit Bevo but as Axe pointed out he is probably best suited to being matched the 3rd tall forward. We have players better suited to be matched on the opposition bigger boys.
I thought he might have been a good match-up on Fergus Greene.

jazzadogs
04-05-2023, 04:27 PM

I think Fritsch would kick 5-10 goals on him. Tim Membrey is more the TOB match up - medium tall but likes a pack mark. Fritsch is a leading forward who would be too quick for TOB.

angelopetraglia
04-05-2023, 04:32 PM
From the Bevo presser today.

-Libba should be OK. (My interpretation. He is a lock.)

-Toby will play a full game wherever he is picked. He is obviously on the edge of the team. I hate the fact he didn't play at all. It is hard to sub a player for a tactical reason, the spotlight is on them. It is a real challenge from people management perspective. (My take. He will play in the VFL.)

derb
04-05-2023, 05:23 PM
Hard week for to pick the selections:

Mine would be:

Out: Scott
In: Libba.

Bailey Smith to take Scott's position on the HFF or wing.

In all likelihood Bevo will still persist with Bailey Smith in the middle.

I will be annoyed if McNeil is dropped

bornadog
04-05-2023, 05:28 PM
I think Fritsch would kick 5-10 goals on him. Tim Membrey is more the TOB match up - medium tall but likes a pack mark. Fritsch is a leading forward who would be too quick for TOB.

I agree on Fritsch, I was just trying to make a point that TOB is not suited to play on big forwards.

azabob
04-05-2023, 07:26 PM
ROUND 8 TEAM

GWS v Western Bulldogs
Saturday 6 May, 7.30pm AEST
Manuka Oval

B: Taylor Duryea, Liam Jones, Ryan Gardner
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards
C: Oskar Baker, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Bailey Smith, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Cody Weightman
F: Arthur Jones, Aaron Naughton, Rory Lobb
R: Tim English, Jack Macrae, Adam Treloar
Int: Jason Johannisen, Caleb Daniel, Anthony Scott, Tom Liberatore
Emerg: Rhylee West, Luke Cleary, Lachlan McNeil, Jordon Sweet

IN: Tom Liberatore, Ryan Gardner

OUT: Tim O'Brien (quad), Lachlan McNeil (omitted)

azabob
04-05-2023, 07:27 PM
O’Brien just can’t take a trick. Surely if he is to get a new contract it has to be heavily weighted to games played.

westbulldog
04-05-2023, 07:38 PM
Duryea lucky, Cleary unlucky imo. Does anyone know how many times Jordon Sweet has been named as an emergency in the past 2 seasons ?

Stevo
04-05-2023, 07:44 PM
I knew you would say this, I was almost going to qualify it especially for you. :D

Whether you think he is a KPD or not that is the role he is playing at the moment, therefore he is a KPD for the purposes of this discussion. Call him a third tall if you like but he is playing as a member of the big 3 down back so he is a part of the discussion on the makeup of that trio. I don't think we can play 3 big guys plus TOB.

His primary matchup obviously shouldn't be a monster but they often have to swap in play so he will inevitably end up opposed to big opponents at times, like Lewis last week.

As predictable as Darcy being a ruck man. :) Anyway OBrien is out with an injury and Gards is in which should keep most of us happy. Where is Pharrell Williams when you need him :)

Stevo
04-05-2023, 07:46 PM
O’Brien just can’t take a trick. Surely if he is to get a new contract it has to be heavily weighted to games played.

He isnt durable enough or just an unlucky dude.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 07:46 PM
McNeil might as well look somewhere else.

jeemak
04-05-2023, 07:52 PM
Duryea lucky, Cleary unlucky imo. Does anyone know how many times Jordon Sweet has been named as an emergency in the past 2 seasons ?

I don't think there's a set number, though it needs to be just enough to frustrate people in lieu of not being able to see any development at the higher level.

bornadog
04-05-2023, 07:52 PM

Hopefully he is sub

Stevo
04-05-2023, 07:53 PM

Looks that way. He should be in the side.

jeemak
04-05-2023, 07:53 PM

Who else would have him?

We picked him up to play a niche role for us that is presently being played by Jones who hit the scoreboard last week while McNeil didn't.

He's still a chance to play plenty more games in lieu of our weakness in that position generally.

bornadog
04-05-2023, 07:54 PM
Looks that way. He should be in the side.

who would come out?

azabob
04-05-2023, 07:55 PM

If he kicks those two goals you can?t drop him.

The MC likely see more upside in Jones?

Mantis
04-05-2023, 07:55 PM

Who should he be playing in front of?

I liked his pressure last week, but his kicking was well below average. He needs to take his opportunities in front of goal which he rarely does.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 07:59 PM

I liked his pressure last week, but his kicking was well below average. He needs to take his opportunities in front of goal which he rarely does.

Duryea. Fell over every time.

Weightman has credits, his game last week was lamentable.

Tell me what more McNeil can do?

Ok he missed a couple of TOUGH chances.

What was his pass mark?

jeemak
04-05-2023, 07:59 PM

Yep, that's the challenge for the McNeil's of the world. Live and die by the opportunities you either take or you don't.

jeemak
04-05-2023, 08:00 PM

What was his pass mark?

Taking his tough chances.

Libba has to come in, we won, someone has to go out.

Duryea isn't comparable as they perform completely different roles.

azabob
04-05-2023, 08:01 PM

What was his pass mark?

McNeil as a lock down defender?

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 08:01 PM

Daniel back, Libba in.

Grantysghost
04-05-2023, 08:02 PM

I thought creating the chances was good enough.

Bah you can all go and get

A nice meal, or a drink and ponder why you're wrong.

bornadog
04-05-2023, 08:06 PM
I think this is one of our strongest team we can field, so no excuses.

kruder
04-05-2023, 08:06 PM
Arguably the best side we have atm.

bornadog
04-05-2023, 08:07 PM
Arguably the best side we have atm.

Great minds think alike :)

GVGjr
04-05-2023, 08:13 PM
I think this is one of our strongest team we can field, so no excuses.

Agreed, no excuses.

merantau
04-05-2023, 10:36 PM
No excuses. This is the strongest team we've fielded this year. A big win would be great.

Mantis
05-05-2023, 07:07 AM

What was his pass mark?

Not sure it?s a tough when you gather the ball on 50 in space and have time to steady and then miss by a relatively large distance. Any 6 footer HF/FP with kicking ability eats those goals for breakfast and McNeil consistently misses them.

His ability to convert any opportunity needs to improve quickly or he?s likely to be delisted come seasons end.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 09:09 AM
Not sure it?s a tough when you gather the ball on 50 in space and have time to steady and then miss by a relatively large distance. Any 6 footer HF/FP with kicking ability eats those goals for breakfast and McNeil consistently misses them.

His ability to convert any opportunity needs to improve quickly or he?s likely to be delisted come seasons end.

Agree he needs to take his chances, I just think he needs more chances.
Some players seem to be given more than others.

Danjul
05-05-2023, 09:31 AM
You have only just noticed this????

Jasper
05-05-2023, 09:46 AM

He would be regarded as to a best 22 player if he was able to convert those chances and kick a goal a week. Arthur is keeping him out of the side at the moment.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 09:47 AM
You have only just noticed this????

Haha touche.

hujsh
05-05-2023, 10:17 AM

He creates his own opportunities but too rarely seizes them once the hard work is done. He needs to at minimum show improvement in that area before years end.

Happy Days
05-05-2023, 10:33 AM
I like McNeil and think he should be playing but he’s player number 21 at absolute best. He was honestly better as the sub against Freo than he was with a full game against the Hawks, maybe this isn’t the worst move for him.

Danjul
05-05-2023, 10:40 AM
He would be regarded as to a best 22 player if he was able to convert those chances and kick a goal a week. Arthur is keeping him out of the side at the moment.
Arthur has been averaging 80% game time and actually has a much lower return in goals per minute played than McNeil. McNeil is kicking goals 7 times faster.

bornadog
05-05-2023, 11:29 AM
Arthur has been averaging 80% game time and actually has a much lower return in goals per minute played than McNeil. McNeil is kicking goals 7 times faster.

this is where stats are rubbish

westbulldog
05-05-2023, 11:32 AM
According to WB website Arthur Jones is 19 and has played 5 games, McNeill is 21 and has played 31 games. With another 26 games / 2 years under his belt I would predict Arty will be better performed than McNeill.

jazzadogs
05-05-2023, 11:41 AM
McNeill might be statistically similar or even slightly ahead, but I think Arty is currently providing the team some intangible benefits with his enthusiasm and attitude which is keeping him in the team. His pressure has been up, he is working hard with lots of repeat sprints and that is his role.

Hopefully more goals are coming, but his joy would be lifting the locker room. Keep him in

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 11:45 AM

I would compare his game more to Weightman's.

He was far better.

Weightman is a better player though so I've got no issue with him having a down game. He's got credits in the bank.

My issue is around the yo-yoing of players and expecting them to hit the ground running at the level.

Even the best players take a few weeks to find their feet.

We expect too much at times.

Give him 3 games, if he struggles fair call to cut him.

bornadog
05-05-2023, 11:46 AM

He was far better.

Weightman is a better player though so I've got no issue with him having a down game. He's got credits in the bank.

My issue is around the yo-yoing of players and expecting them to hit the ground running at the level.

Comes back to - who goes out?

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 11:56 AM
Comes back to - who goes out?

I've already answered that. Duryea out Daniel back. Duryea can't hold his feet.

Mantis
05-05-2023, 12:04 PM
I've already answered that. Duryea out Daniel back. Duryea can't hold his feet.

Daniel can't defend which is why he's in the midfield.

And we aren't playing all of Jones, Weightman and McNeil.. McNeil needs to force one of them out of the starting 22.

Axe Man
05-05-2023, 12:04 PM
Duryea may be earmarked for Greene, or at least one of the options. Richards is the only other I can think of as a reasonable matchup so I would rather have 2 options than 1.

Danjul
05-05-2023, 12:05 PM
According to WB website Arthur Jones is 19 and has played 5 games, McNeill is 21 and has played 31 games. With another 26 games / 2 years under his belt I would predict Arty will be better performed than McNeill.
I agree. But there?s no avoiding the fact that Jones is being judged on where he will be in two years and McNeil is being judged on what he was three years ago.

In his first three games Arthur rarely touched the ball, and a number of his possessions were rushed and ineffective. He is still learning and certainly has some star potential.

In the past poor performances were rewarded by a return to the seconds. As we see with Weightman those cruel policies are a thing of the past.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-05-2023, 12:08 PM
I'll have to pay closer attention, but what's Scott's role? Wing / HF?

I would have selected McNeill over Scott as I feel the latter hasn't been doing enough.

1eyedog
05-05-2023, 12:11 PM

Why? Who would he replace? Maybe Scott but at least Scott has continuity.

1eyedog
05-05-2023, 12:12 PM

Not with performaces he's not but we are riding a bit of an Arty wave atm.

1eyedog
05-05-2023, 12:13 PM

He was far better.

Happens at every club.

hujsh
05-05-2023, 01:38 PM
Gee you'd almost think half the board think Weightman should be dropped. He had a quiet game but the effort was there and we know we can rely on him to convert when he gets his opportunities. Small forwards will have quiet weeks but McNeil only has quiet or decent weeks so it shouldn't even be a comparison.

If we drop Dureya it's for a small defender like Cleary. Has to be someone who can defend. Daniel is strong but doesn't have the pace or height to take that role.

The only comparable candidates are Scott or Jones. Jones felt more dangerous and when he gets the ball is more composed than McNeil already. Both apply pressure so I'm happy for Jones to get the nod given he has a higher ceiling.

Scott was quiet and it's hard to tell what his role is right now. Is it a mix of half forward and subbing into the wing when Baker and Williams rest? If so I'd rather Scott have the ball in hand than McNeil.

Like I said earlier it's pretty obvious what McNeil need to improve on to get a permanent best 22 spot and I'm not sure more AFL time is necessarily key to developing it (he's not exactly a VFL superstar forward pocket is he?) He's the exact fringe type that will be in and out of the team depending on form and fitness of other players so it's not worth handwringing over his inclusion or exclusion unless he starts doing something extraordinary at VFL level. Every team has these players.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 02:32 PM
Gee you'd almost think half the board think Weightman should be dropped. He had a quiet game but the effort was there and we know we can rely on him to convert when he gets his opportunities. Small forwards will have quiet weeks but McNeil only has quiet or decent weeks so it shouldn't even be a comparison.

If we drop Dureya it's for a small defender like Cleary. Has to be someone who can defend. Daniel is strong but doesn't have the pace or height to take that role.

The only comparable candidates are Scott or Jones. Jones felt more dangerous and when he gets the ball is more composed than McNeil already. Both apply pressure so I'm happy for Jones to get the nod given he has a higher ceiling.

Scott was quiet and it's hard to tell what his role is right now. Is it a mix of half forward and subbing into the wing when Baker and Williams rest? If so I'd rather Scott have the ball in hand than McNeil.

Like I said earlier it's pretty obvious what McNeil need to improve on to get a permanent best 22 spot and I'm not sure more AFL time is necessarily key to developing it (he's not exactly a VFL superstar forward pocket is he?) He's the exact fringe type that will be in and out of the team depending on form and fitness of other players so it's not worth handwringing over his inclusion or exclusion unless he starts doing something extraordinary at VFL level. Every team has these players.

I'm handwringing!

jeemak
05-05-2023, 02:35 PM
I'm handwringing!

He's being polite.

bornadog
05-05-2023, 02:37 PM
I'm handwringing!

One of the issues with McNeil is he wants to dish off the ball as soon as he has it in his hands, and he often will handball to another player and put them under pressure. He needs to compose himself, back himself in and make sure he takes his opportunities.

At the moment, all I can see is, he offers pace.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 02:42 PM
He's being polite.

Ha - thanks Hjush.

Duryea is slow and can't jump and falls over all the time.
Give that man a game! He can't match up on Greene.

Caleb has an obvious match up in their forward line.

Who's with me! EW? GvG will be... Danj? Trag? New people speak up... It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees (not a Caleb joke).

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 02:43 PM
One of the issues with McNeil is he wants to dish off the ball as soon as he has it in his hands, and he often will handball to another player and put them under pressure. He needs to compose himself, back himself in and make sure he takes his opportunities.

And tackling. Pace and tackling.....

Hmmm pace and tackling pace and tackling... Where could we use that?

Nope. Got nothing ;)

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 02:52 PM
Final word from me, I get McNeil isn't a superstar, he's the last couple picked... However.

He gives us something we don't have, so my opinion is he showed enough last week to build on and I'd love to see him have a run at it.

Look how it worked for West last season

Duryea would need to have a good game this week or I'll be starting a blog.

angelopetraglia
05-05-2023, 02:53 PM
If Vanda is fit (I know that is a big if) he will be in front of McNeil too.

mjp
05-05-2023, 02:58 PM
And tackling. Pace and tackling.....

Hmmm pace and tackling pace and tackling... Where could we use that?

Nope. Got nothing ;)

He does kick goals.

I like goals.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 03:01 PM
He does kick goals.

I like goals.

https://media.giphy.com/media/QWjFSsvUPCUncq6ItU/giphy.gif

Ozza
05-05-2023, 03:25 PM
I'll have to pay closer attention, but what's Scott's role? Wing / HF?

I would have selected McNeill over Scott as I feel the latter hasn't been doing enough.

Scott is playing a mix of HFF and as the 3rd winger (essentially when Baker or Williams are on the bench). I reckon Scotty is going really well. He isn't going to be judged on possessions alone thats for sure. He is one of our important structural players, who if you watch him live, is one of the players we can rely on to defend the ground. I can only imagine Bevo appreciates Scotty's versatility, and his ability to halve a contest when we are defending.

Dogs 24/7
05-05-2023, 03:32 PM

It really depends on who is presenting them.

Dogs 24/7
05-05-2023, 03:34 PM

He is too intent on getting the ball to someone else as quickly as he can.

derb
05-05-2023, 03:39 PM
Not confident in this one.

At all.

GVGjr
05-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Not confident in this one.

At all.

What are your thoughts and main concerns Derb?

bornadog
05-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Scott is playing a mix of HFF and as the 3rd winger (essentially when Baker or Williams are on the bench). I reckon Scotty is going really well. He isn't going to be judged on possessions alone thats for sure. He is one of our important structural players, who if you watch him live, is one of the players we can rely on to defend the ground. I can only imagine Bevo appreciates Scotty's versatility, and his ability to halve a contest when we are defending.

I don't mind Scott and agree, he is an important player. Last year he was ranked 5th in AFL for links between HBF and HFF, until he got concussed.

Ozza
05-05-2023, 03:48 PM

And we aren't playing all of Jones, Weightman and McNeil.. McNeil needs to force one of them out of the starting 22.

Yep, agree with all of this. I think ideally, Daniel is high half forward, pinch hitting in the midfield.

Also agree that we can't have all of Arty, Cody and McNeil unless injuries are testing us. I actually think Arty has been really good and lively. Even when he hasn't had many possessions, his speed and follow up/repeat efforts are helping others. He has really exceeded my expectations.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 04:18 PM

All Australian defender Caleb Daniel ;)

Go_Dogs
05-05-2023, 08:20 PM
Yep, agree with all of this. I think ideally, Daniel is high half forward, pinch hitting in the midfield.

Also agree that we can't have all of Arty, Cody and McNeil unless injuries are testing us. I actually think Arty has been really good and lively. Even when he hasn't had many possessions, his speed and follow up/repeat efforts are helping others. He has really exceeded my expectations.

I think we can play Cody, Arty, and McNeily.

Cody plays more a medium forward, marking forward role.

I’m sad McNeil is out as think he’s the type of player we will need to go deep, he’s not there yet but if Arty got a block of games I would’ve said McNeil does too.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 08:32 PM
I think we can play Cody, Arty, and McNeily.

Cody plays more a medium forward, marking forward role.

I’m sad McNeil is out as think he’s the type of player we will need to go deep, he’s not there yet but if Arty got a block of games I would’ve said McNeil does too.

See, just as I lose all faith there's some intelligent posters on here you pop up.

First time I've heard sense.

Early 2021 says hi...!

jeemak
05-05-2023, 08:41 PM
Final word from me

Empty promises.

I'm happy if McNeil is named the sub. He brings energy and creates opportunities with his pressure.

Grantysghost
05-05-2023, 09:12 PM
Empty promises.

I'm happy if McNeil is named the sub. He brings energy and creates opportunities with his pressure.

Rofl.

bornadog
06-05-2023, 12:44 AM
Cleary in Canberra

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvWTk6faAAAuLe2?format=jpg&name=large

Jeanette54
06-05-2023, 01:44 PM

Plainly speaking, if "doing enough" is the criteria for selection, then Arty would be back to the magoos, but sometimes you just have to invest in the future. And I see Arty, Scott and McNeill as just that, future investment.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-05-2023, 01:48 PM
McNeill not playing for Footscray.

Happy Days
06-05-2023, 02:02 PM
McNeill not playing for Footscray.

Neither is Cleary. Probably necessary for an interstate game but wonder if a late change is coming.