PDA

View Full Version : Every game is related...which means we will lose to Carlton this week.

mjp
11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
I don't want to be the prophet of doom.

But - with the exception of 20-minutes gone wrong vs Port - we have essentially won 6 in a row.

That pretty much never happens.

The media are 100% into the blues. They are gonna respond. We have a couple of injuries and I suspect the Treloar one has the players a little bummed out (he's a good player, seems like a popular bloke and has had some rotten luck).

I hate that I think this but I think this week is just going to go awry...it's just 'time'.

ReLoad
11-05-2023, 10:48 AM
I'm in the prophet of doom camp.

Yes were going to get done, Carlton have our number, and have had for a few years.

Plus I'm going to the game with Dad (who is a Carlton tragic) and the tickets are in the Carlton life members/past players area. Good luck to me in trying not jump up when astronaught takes a speccy.

macca
11-05-2023, 10:55 AM
Stop Cripps
Dry up their midfiled supply to Curnow and Mackay
defend like crazy

If the team shuold know by how to address the mental lapse or the early warning signs

We are in with a good chance to win

Go dogs

I am going remain positive

bornadog
11-05-2023, 10:56 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Whoops, wrong thread. :D

Trying to take a positive view.

I think we will be full of confidence that we can win this game. We must curb the influence of Cripps and our tall backs must be on their game or they will be out marked. Liam will be extra switched on to show his former club that he still has it in him. No doubt they will try and tag Bont, so we need to back him up and also win the ball out of the centre and put the pressure on Carlton from the start. No catchup footy please.

Should be a close game, so we need to stay positive and we can win.

Sedat
11-05-2023, 11:01 AM

But - with the exception of 20-minutes gone wrong vs Port - we have essentially won 6 in a row.

The media are 100% into the blues. They are gonna respond. We have a couple of injuries and I suspect the Treloar one has the players a little bummed out (he's a good player, seems like a popular bloke and has had some rotten luck).

I hate that I think this but I think this week is just going to go awry...it's just 'time'.
Carlton has been proven to have an inconsistent and thoroughly conditional midfield but their midfield always seems to respond positively against us - Cripps has killed us on many an occasion, even Petrevski-Seaton smashed us one game. This has invariably opened up significant opportunities for Curnow and McKay to wreak havoc on our (previously) under-sized defence.

This week is a fantastic challenge for our group to be able to look their mids in the eye and respond with fury of our own. We also have Jones as a bonafide quality key defender in our arsenal that didn't previously exist against the Blues. If we can overcome Carlton this week, it will be a sign of tremendous maturity and will confirm we are absolutely in this season.

I'm not confident but I am looking forward to how we respond this week. It will be a searching examination of our mental mindset.

Axe Man
11-05-2023, 12:02 PM
Carlton's results this year are:

Draw v Richmond
Win V Geelong (started the season slowly)
Win v GWS (narrow win away, like us)
Win v North (unconvincing)
Loss v Crows (got smacked)
Loss v St Kilda
Win v Eagles (big win v West Coast reserves)
Loss v Brisbane

Since their win v Geelong their form has been poor (the last 6 games). Since our loss in round 2 v St Kilda our form has been good, with room for improvement.

On form lines we should be confident but it's only natural to have that nagging doubt as a dogs supporter!

On the downside I have been to 2 games this year, both away games and both losses (rounds 1 & 2). Hoping I don't curse the team back to our early season form with my attendance this week.

lemmon
11-05-2023, 12:19 PM
I've tipped the Blues this week as well.

It feels like we've spent a long time on the road and a lot of that time in the wet - I imagine there are some pretty sore and tired bodies coming up against a side that has a lot to prove and one more loss might see things get really ugly for them and Voss.

There's no one I'd rather play less than the Blues at home in that circumstance. Big and vocal crowd, fast track, two big key forwards taking clunks on a Saturday night - I'm getting flashbacks to Brendan Fevola kicking 6 in the second half and winning them the game in 2006.

hujsh
11-05-2023, 12:39 PM
Every game is related which means if we beat Brisbane and Carlton lost to Brisbane we should beat Carlton easy. Nothing else to consider.

1eyedog
11-05-2023, 12:59 PM
Yes I have a really bad feeling that this one will get away from us a bit. Expecting an 8 goal loss.

SonofScray
11-05-2023, 01:13 PM
If we get up this week, I’ll be surprised.

I’ll also strap my self in for the roller coaster ride that is believing we are good enough.

MrMahatma
11-05-2023, 01:23 PM
Apart from beating Brisbane, we haven't really beaten "anyone" as yet, so I think this is a pretty important test for us. I know winning streaks are hard but Richmand, Freo, Hawks, GWS is hardly a form line to send fear through the competition. Beating up Carlton probably wouldn't change that to be honest.

I think this is, rightly, a 50/50 match. I always fear coming up against Blues and Saints even when they're not playing well. They match up against us well. My gut almost always tells me to tip against us and I never do. I didn't against the Saints, and I won't against the Blues. I remain optimistic, but will not be surprised if we lose cause my gut tells me that's highly likely.

Our next few matches are tricky/tough, and this is one of the few we should/could be (slight) faves for. I think it's pretty important for our season that we win.

Next few matches:

Carl
Crows (Ballarat)
GC (NT)
Cats (Marvel)
Port (Marvel)

westdog54
11-05-2023, 05:19 PM
I'm happy to talk down our chances.

It will just make it more satisfying even we win.

Under-promise, over-deliver.

Grantysghost
11-05-2023, 05:21 PM
I'm happy to talk down our chances.

It will just make it more satisfying even we win.

Under-promise, over-deliver.

Why do I feel like we are going to lose.

I think it's because even when we've been flying they've always had good games against us.

Harry McKay always kicks a bag.

Be a really mature win if we can grind this one out.

chef
11-05-2023, 05:33 PM

Well you swayed me. I've been tossing up all week about Saturday night, have tickets to Regurgitators Unit anniversary gig but the Dogs are playing at the same time.

Go the Gurg I guess.

Grantysghost
11-05-2023, 05:35 PM
Well you swayed me. I've been tossing up all week about Saturday night, have tickets to Regurgitators Unit anniversary gig but the Dogs are playing at the same time.

Go the Gurg I guess.

Oh I so wanted to go to that have another commitment.

I like your old stuff better than your new stuff.

GVGjr
11-05-2023, 05:45 PM
Huge test on the effectiveness of Jones, Gardner and Keath on a couple of stud tall forwards and if we can curb their smaller players from making an impact.

JanLorMill
11-05-2023, 05:47 PM
The key for us is English. Last year his first half was horrible and Pittonet gave their midfield first use early and a big lead. English played a better second half and we fell short because of poor kicking

bulldogsthru&thru
11-05-2023, 06:14 PM
This is the exact type of game we typically lose and I don't trust this group enough to think we will win. It's the perfect challenge and one I feel we should win. I just don't see us rising to occasion. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we did.

Mofra
11-05-2023, 07:12 PM
Crazy Bevo sniffing the winds so debuts James O'Donnell

I was in the loss camp before, now it's 50/50

Only some batshit insane plan gets us across the line. This might be it

The bulldog tragician
11-05-2023, 07:14 PM
Why do I feel like we are going to lose.

I think it's because even when we've been flying they've always had good games against us.

Harry McKay always kicks a bag.

Be a really mature win if we can grind this one out.

You really need to ask why??

Add me to the doubters. They have been under the microscope or blow torch, or whatever.

It?s interesting though, we are preoccupied with the fear of Cripps tearing us apart etc. we don?t think that they must be sweating blood about how to stop Bont, the form midfielder of the competition.

kruder
11-05-2023, 07:15 PM

These are the types of games we loose historically agree. If we win this one buckle up!

azabob
11-05-2023, 08:51 PM
Our big advantage should be in the ruck. If English and Lobb can’t work over the Carlton rucks it will be mightily disappointing, especially considering how it’s taken me 8 rounds to fully get aboard the English train.

1eyedog
11-05-2023, 09:24 PM
Rucks are of no consequence you just know it's going to ping out of D50 and McKay and Curnow are going to feast. Seen it a thousand times.

Charlie might kick a bakers dozen.

MrMahatma
11-05-2023, 10:01 PM
Rucks are of no consequence you just know it's going to ping out of D50 and McKay and Curnow are going to feast. Seen it a thousand times.

Charlie might kick a bakers dozen.

So might Naughton

jeemak
11-05-2023, 10:08 PM
I say we do them. We'll stifle anything they have resembling run from defence and while we might let Cripps off the leash like we usually do our new ruckman Tim English will help us in the clearances more than the previous ruckman who looks a lot like him has in previous years.

It won't be pretty, we won't kick a big score, but we'll kick a bigger one than they do.

SonofScray
12-05-2023, 11:12 AM
It won't be pretty, we won't kick a big score, but we'll kick a bigger one than they do.

If we can score more than them in the allocated time for play, we might just win this one.

EasternWest
12-05-2023, 11:16 AM
If we can score more than them in the allocated time for play, we might just win this one.

Promote this man.

MrMahatma
12-05-2023, 11:30 AM
Look... the closer we get to this match the more confident I'm becoming in a 7 goal win.

Mantis
12-05-2023, 03:23 PM
It?s interesting though, we are preoccupied with the fear of Cripps tearing us apart etc. we don?t think that they must be sweating blood about how to stop Bont, the form midfielder of the competition.

It's a huge test for Bont this week who has been in ripping form, but when he's been ''sat on'' he has been far less effective... think after 1/2 time against both Port (Drew) and GWS (Green).

With Treloar out we will need Bont to be at his brilliant best... but also need our others mids to pull their weight.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2023, 08:25 PM
I was positive against the grain of this thread right up until 2 minutes ago.... and I heard David King and Jonathon Brown laud us and talk up our chances, so that's done it.
We're really up against it now. If we pull this off now it will be one for the ages.

bornadog
13-05-2023, 08:27 PM
I was positive against the grain of this thread right up until 2 minutes ago.... and I heard David King and Jonathon Brown laud us and talk up our chances, so that's done it.
We're really up against it now. If we pull this off now it will be one for the ages.

Nah, they are dickheads :D

jeemak
13-05-2023, 11:14 PM
Have we made up our minds about quoting ourselves?

azabob
13-05-2023, 11:16 PM
Have we made up our minds about quoting ourselves?

Go for it mate, go for it

hujsh
13-05-2023, 11:26 PM
Is this a snitch positive thread?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-05-2023, 11:32 PM

I'm standing by this.. we nearly did find way to sit on our own balls and lose this game...and then we seemingly found a new desire to say nope, we're not doing this again and got back to real hard work. Our pressure in the last 7 or 8 minutes was immense. That could prove to be one for the ages, if not in beauty, but in importance.

jeemak
13-05-2023, 11:55 PM
Go for it mate, go for it

Is this a snitch positive thread?

I feel like Admiral Ackbar would have some pretty strong views on Aza's post.

azabob
13-05-2023, 11:57 PM
I feel like Admiral Ackbar would have some pretty strong views on Aza's post.

Stop helping Jee. Last week you got BAD all riled up with me and now this week you’re setting some dude called Admiral Ackbar onto me.

mjp
14-05-2023, 03:37 PM
Happily WRONG!

1eyedog
14-05-2023, 04:09 PM
It's a trap!

1eyedog
15-05-2023, 08:08 AM
Happily WRONG!

Lolz

Sedat
15-05-2023, 10:22 AM
Happily WRONG!
You and me both.

I reckon this was a very significant win in terms of our maturity and mental capacity to respond when seriously challenged - whilst it is concerning that we are still conceding big run-ons, we are showing great resolve to wrest the momentum back and grind out some tough wins. The lessons of the 2021 GF and 2022 EF look like they have been learnt.

We are also clearly a tougher all-ground defensive unit to score against - it has come at the expense of our more free-wheeling attacking ball movement instincts but it is keeping us competitive in all games this year since R2, and it will hold us in good stead if we can secure a finals berth when the time and space are drastically reduced in September.

hujsh
15-05-2023, 10:27 AM
You and me both.

I reckon this was a very significant win in terms of our maturity and mental capacity to respond when seriously challenged - whilst it is concerning that we are still conceding big run-ons, we are showing great resolve to wrest the momentum back and grind out some tough wins. The lessons of the 2021 GF and 2022 EF look like they have been learnt.

We are also clearly a tougher all-ground defensive unit to score against - it has come at the expense of our more free-wheeling attacking ball movement instincts but it is keeping us competitive in all games this year since R2, and it will hold us in good stead if we can secure a finals berth when the time and space are drastically reduced in September.

I'll take being a better defensive side over a more entertaining attacking side if we win more games everyday of the week

Bulldog Revolution
15-05-2023, 12:17 PM
Happily WRONG!

Thought it was a bloody good post - its only possible to stay up in AFL footy for so long, the competition is just that, fiercely competitive

But also wrapt you weren't quite right on this way - have I mentioned I hate losing to Carlton!

EasternWest
15-05-2023, 01:01 PM
have I mentioned I hate losing to Carlton!

Once or twice

Grantysghost
15-05-2023, 01:37 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/sxhPkLSZ/IMG-20230515-085325-102.jpg (https://postimg.cc/H8T75B6p)

MrMahatma
15-05-2023, 02:12 PM
Great photo. Cripps should get a fine.

Grantysghost
15-05-2023, 02:25 PM

Looks to me as if Baz is getting off on it !

hujsh
15-05-2023, 02:25 PM

He did

hujsh
15-05-2023, 02:27 PM
Looks to me as if Baz is getting off on it !

https://media.tenor.com/fQwiWZqO3KsAAAAC/lucillebluth-gettingoff.gif