PDA

View Full Version : Most biased journos, commentators, who is the winner ?

ledge
15-05-2023, 10:29 AM
We all complain about bias within the industry and for mine it?s Tim Gossage , I will never forget his rant before the 2016 final West Coast v Dogs . He went on about who West Coast play after they beat us, no discussion at all about the game coming up, then when they lost we never heard from him until the next season.
The bloke has no idea football exists outside of WA . I be surprised if he even knows any players outside of the state.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-05-2023, 11:07 AM
I think you have nailed it. Gossage is a horrendous amateur with NFI.

angelopetraglia
15-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Mark Stevens has a strong bias towards the Dogs that has been growing stronger in recent years.

azabob
15-05-2023, 11:28 AM
Mark Stevens has a strong bias towards the Dogs that has been growing stronger in recent years.

Stevo is no longer a jurno as of last week!

Going back to politics.

angelopetraglia
15-05-2023, 11:37 AM

Going back to politics.

OK. He will still be biased on Twitter. However I do love his bias.

EasternWest
15-05-2023, 12:03 PM

Going back to politics.

Ha ha ha the Nationals this time. Greens next month I suppose.

mjp
15-05-2023, 12:08 PM
I think you have nailed it. Gossage is a horrendous amateur with NFI.

Not sure Gossage is a journo (and hasn't been for a few years).

Has his own podcast I think and works directly for/with West Coast.

Actually - I just googled it. He works for SEN in Perth (which I didn't even know was a thing!) and does commentary for Perth Wildcats games...and auctions houses.

So - I'm holding firm. Not a journo.

Generally speaking, the WA and SA commentators sound to Victorian listeners the way the Victorian commentators sound to WA/SA ears. Doesn't phase me with the footy as I (obviously) support a non-WA team but the basketball and cricket stuff can be outrageous.

azabob
15-05-2023, 01:55 PM

Generally speaking, the WA and SA commentators sound to Victorian listeners the way the Victorian commentators sound to WA/SA ears. Doesn't phase me with the footy as I (obviously) support a non-WA team but the basketball and cricket stuff can be outrageous.

They also need to "speak" to their audience which typically would be the state they are based in.

Mofra
15-05-2023, 02:09 PM
Jono Brown on special comments Saturday night was horrendous. He could have been on the Carlton coaching panel, barely even mentioned us.

Mofra
15-05-2023, 02:09 PM
BT is one of the worst for this, will just pick one team and talk about them incessantly - generally the home side

hujsh
15-05-2023, 02:25 PM
BT is one of the worst for this, will just pick one team and talk about them incessantly - generally the home side

And which private schools the players are from. Never forget that important piece of information to remind us AFL isn't actually all that fair with who gets opportunity either

Funke disco
15-05-2023, 05:08 PM
And which private schools the players are from. Never forget that important piece of information to remind us AFL isn't actually all that fair with who gets opportunity either

Yes, the private school talk does my head in. It is disenfranchising, what opportunities will my child have if they don't attend an elite private school???

Hotdog60
15-05-2023, 06:58 PM
I'm wondering what happened to the stress ball......

jazzadogs
15-05-2023, 09:01 PM
Ricciuto is pretty bad with the Crows.

It really annoys me that they seem to deliberately choose ex players to commentate their own teams matches. I assume they think it provides insight, but in my view it just makes the broadcast unbearable.

(Obviously excusing Luke Darcy breaking down as the Dogs made the grand final)

azabob
15-05-2023, 09:03 PM

It really annoys me that they seem to deliberately choose ex players to commentate their own teams matches. I assume they think it provides insight, but in my view it just makes the broadcast unbearable.

Yeah, ok. This wins.

He’s actually their footy director on the board from memory.

angelopetraglia
16-05-2023, 04:21 PM

It was also great to hear Tony Leonard also call the final stages with 3AW. You have to love that biased emotion.

bornadog
16-05-2023, 05:05 PM

Can't stand him full stop.

Boots
16-05-2023, 05:48 PM

Don't forget his bland post-facto goalkicking advice that sounds even to my uneducated ears like it last had currency in the early 1900s.

Actually there is not a single thing that flatulant buffoon does well.

EasternWest
16-05-2023, 07:43 PM
I dunno about biased but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Hodge yet. Whenever they cut to him it's like I'm listening to the pissed guy with a kebab in his hand after he's just sidled up to me at the train station at 1 am to rant about how his wife is gonna kill him when he gets home and who'd you back in the fifth and what did you think of the boy's efforts.

It's just mumbled, monotone high speed nonsense.

jazzadogs
16-05-2023, 07:56 PM
I dunno about biased but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Hodge yet. Whenever they cut to him it's like I'm listening to the pissed guy with a kebab in his hand after he's just sidled up to me at the train station at 1 am to rant about how his wife is gonna kill him when he gets home and who'd you back in the fifth and what did you think of the boy's efforts.

It's just mumbled, monotone high speed nonsense.

Gee he's a good bloke though.

Prince Imperial
16-05-2023, 07:57 PM
Least biased probably is Richardson with the Tigers. He always sounds fair and reasoned to me when they are playing.

Ricciuto was even worse when the Crows were last a good team, circa 2017. He was regularly arrogant and condescending about opponents and unfortunately these days are probably returning (though hopefully not this weekend).

bornadog
16-05-2023, 08:06 PM
Least biased probably is Richardson with the Tigers. He always sounds fair and reasoned to me when they are playing.

I like Richo for the reasons you point out, but not many other special commentators.

Scorlibo
16-05-2023, 09:46 PM
Dwayne Russell is my least favourite commentator on Dogs games. Always barracks against us, focuses on the negatives. Can't listen to the guy.

EasternWest
17-05-2023, 12:09 AM
Dwayne Russell is my least favourite commentator on Dogs games. Always barracks against us, focuses on the negatives. Can't listen to the guy.

I SLAMMED* him once on twitter for this. To which he responded "that's Gerard Healy, I'm not at the game". He was actually pretty gracious about it.

* I didn't slam him at all, but if I've learnt anything from headline writers any mild criticism of anything must be SLAMMED.

jeemak
17-05-2023, 12:26 AM
I SLAMMED* him once on twitter for this. To which he responded "that's Gerard Healy, I'm not at the game". He was actually pretty gracious about it.

* I didn't slam him at all, but if I've learnt anything from headline writers any mild criticism of anything must be SLAMMED.

He FIRED BACK at you!

Happy Days
17-05-2023, 01:22 AM

I used to hate Dwayne but then he absolutely nailed the call on Baz’s goal against Brisbane in the 2021 semi, when all any other commentator wanted to do was bag him for some reason. We’re okay now, it really only does take one.