PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 14 v North Melbourne

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Thirteen match against Port Adelaide for our Round Fourteen match against North Melbourne at Marvel on Sunday.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
09-06-2023, 03:05 PM
Bump

westbulldog
09-06-2023, 11:51 PM
In Cleary Khamis Sweet
Out O'Donnell Bruce A Jones

whythelongface
10-06-2023, 12:43 AM
In Cleary Khamis Sweet
Out O'Donnell Bruce A Jones

I like your changes.
Not necessarily a big fan of Sweet but surely his ruck work will be if more benefit than having a non contributor like JOD.

josie
10-06-2023, 12:52 AM
I like your changes.
Not necessarily a big fan of Sweet but surely his ruck work will be if more benefit than having a non contributor like JOD.

JOD contributed directly to two port goals by trying pin point passes towards centre instead of safer kick along boundary line.

I agree with you and west bulldog regarding changes. Can’t see Sweet being selected though. And I think we need leg speed so can see Bevo selecting someone like Hannan (much to consternation of many woofers, me included).

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 12:59 AM
I don't know who comes in.

But on what I saw tonight. Jones, Bruce and JOD can't get a game. Horrendous all three of them.

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 01:08 AM
Bevo "He put some pressure on Arty, but is unusual to go through a whole game and not actually have a statistic with the Sherrin. He has had some influential games too. We will monitor that.".

My read. You are not playing next week Arthur.

bornadog
10-06-2023, 01:46 AM
Out: Arty, Bruce, JOD

In: Cleary, and see how VFL goes on the weekend.

We don't need anymore talls, we have been too big the last few weeks.

Go_Dogs
10-06-2023, 07:42 AM
Out: JOD
In: Baker

angelopetraglia
10-06-2023, 10:05 AM
Out: JOD
In: Baker

Ary stays after as Bevo said, he didn't register a statistic with the Sherrin

macca
10-06-2023, 10:39 AM
This is a game where we should be playing the younger players : Buku, Cleary, Darcy, West, Sweet etc...
Rest Arty and JOD

azabob
10-06-2023, 11:15 AM
This is a game where we should be playing the younger players : Buku, Cleary, Darcy, West, Sweet etc...
Rest Arty and JOD

Is Darcy still injured with his jaw?

JanLorMill
10-06-2023, 11:25 AM
Have to play Poulter. Why did we recruit him if we weren’t gonna play him. It’s not like he is a raw 19yo rookie.

macca
10-06-2023, 01:07 PM
Yes, add in Poulter, we need to test the younger players and see where they are
We can rest Bonts / Libba , let Macrae, Adz , daniel and Baily Smith play in the middle
Give weightman and west sometime in the middle

azabob
10-06-2023, 01:28 PM
For the first ten rounds I was very big on keeping our structure of three talls down back and three tall up forward.
Clearly that structure currently isn’t working as we seem to be short of run through the midfield.

IN: Cleary, Baker
OUT: Lobb, JOD,

Clearly A.Jones needs a rest, but gee whiz the only option is McNeil and not sure I’d go down that path.

Bruce forward to relieve in the ruck.

Danjul
10-06-2023, 02:36 PM
For the first ten rounds I was very big on keeping our structure of three talls down back and three tall up forward.
Clearly that structure currently isn?t working as we seem to be short of run through the midfield.

IN: Cleary, Baker
OUT: Lobb, JOD,

Clearly A.Jones needs a rest, but gee whiz the only option is McNeil and not sure I?d go down that path.

Bruce forward to relieve in the ruck.

Totally disagree.

At the 8 minute mark of the third quarter we were a couple of points behind despite having more shots at goal.

Then Port got 3 goals in 5 minutes. And finished up winning by 3 goals and a few points.

In other words for 95% of this game we matched Port.

That is with Naughton down, English getting beaten in the ruck, Lobb pretty useless, Bruce having a disaster, JOD and A Jones nonexistent.

This was another game we could have won. The reason we didn?t had nothing to do with the runners.

Port simply did not make the ridiculous mistakes we did, and the majority of them were before Friday.

Rocco Jones
10-06-2023, 02:47 PM
I think Danjul might have broken me. I am not totally against this...

KPD: L Jones, Naughts, Keath
Ruck: Sweet
R2/F: English
KPF: Lobb, Marra

English as a higher forward. Maybe stays more there if he is killing it and Lobb does ruck work.

Sub off Sweet if not injuries and English can get a crack in ruck a bit more fresh in last quarter.

Certify me now.

meenies
10-06-2023, 03:02 PM
Looking at the twos, I like what Gallagher and O'Brien are offering. Also Roake if they think he can confidently run out an AFL game. I really wish we put Sweet in.
Not sure why we were playing West on the wing. Centre him or keep in the forward line.

Who to manage - Bruce, Arty, JOD, and give Naughton a wellbeing break.

Rocco Jones
10-06-2023, 03:08 PM
Looking at the twos, I like what Gallagher and O'Brien are offering. Also Roake if they think he can confidently run out an AFL game. I really wish we put Sweet in.
Not sure why we were playing West on the wing. Centre him or keep in the forward line.

Who to manage - Bruce, Arty, JOD, and give Naughton a wellbeing break.

I watch a bit of the VFL, not heaps but enough to believe I know where guys are playing. We seem to play a lot of guys in the AFL in different roles to the ones they play in the VFL. It's hard enough with the massive jump in standard.

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2023, 03:23 PM
At halftime in the VFL I feel pretty certain we will go back to the well of Hannan

Sedat
10-06-2023, 03:32 PM
We don't really need the 3rd tall forward because we already have another one who plays 'tall'. Weightman is as much a small as Jamie Elliott is for the Pies. And that's totally cool - he's an excellent 3rd marking target and was very dangerous early last night in this role. Having 3 notional talls is overkill and robs us of additional running power, either further up the ground or inside F50 so we can retain it in for repeat entries.

If we were happy to experiment with 4 tall forwards in the first 2 rounds, not sure the reluctance of having a look at the Sweet/English ruck tandem pairing for a couple of weeks. The 4 tall forward experiment was far more ludicrous than having 2 rucks whose skill set compliment each other.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-06-2023, 05:33 PM
Is Darcy still injured with his jaw?

yep.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-06-2023, 05:40 PM
Just watched the reserves match and Hannan was a class above the other AFL blokes with 5 goals. Sweet got another 40 knockouts though not sure too many were effective. Probably due a crack. O'Brien good especially early.

Go_Dogs
11-06-2023, 06:24 AM
Ary stays after as Bevo said, he didn't register a statistic with the Sherrin

One more week until the bye. Give him another chance.

Mantis
11-06-2023, 09:15 AM
North aren?t overly tall in the forward line so no requirement for Bruce and O?Donnell who both deserve to be demoted on form anyways, to be replaced by Cleary and O?Brien.

Happy to swap Baker & Jones over in their roles.

I?m a big no against bringing Sweet in, English is the best around the ground ruck in the competition and whilst his game on Friday night wasn?t his best I see no point in changing roles now.

lemmon
11-06-2023, 10:35 AM
North aren?t overly tall in the forward line so no requirement for Bruce and O?Donnell who both deserve to be demoted on form anyways, to be replaced by Cleary and O?Brien.

I?m a big no against bringing Sweet in, English is the best around the ground ruck in the competition and whilst his game on Friday night wasn?t his best I see no point in changing roles now.

Same changes for me. I'd be re-shuffling so that Scott takes Arty's small forward role as well.

azabob
11-06-2023, 12:16 PM

What role does O’Brien play? I wouldn’t mind seeing only Keath and Jones as our two key defenders.

Stevo
11-06-2023, 12:20 PM
IN
OBrien and Baker

OUT
Lobb and ODonnell

Move Bruce forward.

Wont happen though

Curly5
11-06-2023, 01:20 PM
One more week until the bye. Give him another chance.

Sorry, Arty, this was in fact your "another chance"; last week wasn't much better.

Bruce gets tucked into a forward pocket or is OUT. He is just not a backman.

I don't know where Lobb fits in but he's not doing the job.

Gardner has to come back. Dropping him was a mistake.

Hannan is the logical choice to bring in, an experienced player who knows the ropes. Ok he makes a few errors but he would feel the pressure of being not a first choice.

Please, no more first-gamers while we sort out a workable system.

westbulldog
11-06-2023, 01:49 PM

Nah, lets not change anything ruckwise even though English has been destroyed at centre clearances in the last 3 games which btw we have all lost. The mantra of lets not change a losing game is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. We should be introducing accountability and discipline into this team as in "if you don't perform you are out".

Rocco Jones
11-06-2023, 02:36 PM
In: Baker, TOB, Cleary
Out: Arty, Bruce, JOD
Sub: Arty

Agree with Mantis about Bruce being out due to North lack of monster talls and form. Easier sell to him confidence wise that it's a tactical omission.

lemmon
11-06-2023, 04:31 PM
Nah, lets not change anything ruckwise even though English has been destroyed at centre clearances in the last 3 games which btw we have all lost. The mantra of lets not change a losing game is the exact opposite of what we should be doing. We should be introducing accountability and discipline into this team as in "if you don't perform you are out".

We split centre clearances 14-14 against Port, lost them 11-10 against the Cats and won them 13-9 against the Suns.

Danjul
11-06-2023, 04:35 PM
We split centre clearances 14-14 against Port, lost them 11-10 against the Cats and won them 13-9 against the Suns.
Port kicked 4 goals from centre clearances, more than the winning margin.

Grantysghost
11-06-2023, 05:15 PM
North are not going to be easy beats. They're playing with good spirit.

Thomas back good for them good player.

westbulldog
11-06-2023, 07:26 PM

My point remains we LOST all three games and English was beaten each time.

G-Mo77
11-06-2023, 08:18 PM

Yeah, they're going to win a match soon, they've been so close. It's a danger game, we almost never put teams away and almost always give an opposition a good run of goals. We give these guys a sniff it could be a similar result to the Hawks Vs Lions.

EasternWest
11-06-2023, 08:36 PM
We'll win this game.

Mantis
11-06-2023, 09:08 PM
My point remains we LOST all three games and English was beaten each time.

There I was thinking English was almost BOG against Geelong?

JanLorMill
11-06-2023, 09:26 PM
There I was thinking English was almost BOG against Geelong?
Maybe our best but Stewart was easily BOG

Mantis
11-06-2023, 09:40 PM
Maybe our best but Stewart was easily BOG

Tim received 8 coaches votes, Stewart got 10… In my mind that means Tim was almost BOG.

westbulldog
12-06-2023, 02:52 PM
Yes English was exceptional around the ground v Geelong but we still marginally lost the hit outs and Stanley didn't play. If people want to continue with the same old same old after losing 3 in a row then you are welcome to that view. We could be sitting 3rd and now have Geelong and GCS on our heels. Also the "kick it to Stewart" was a tactical coaching masterpiece" (not).

Bullies
12-06-2023, 05:58 PM
My point remains we LOST all three games and English was beaten each time. A lot of the clearences we won and have won also aren't clean centre clearences. Suns got 4 or 5 goals from their direct clearences as did Port due to the fact that their mids had the ball hit down their throat. This is where clearences if not to advantage are over rated. Part of the reason I would like to Sweet play as he is considered one of the best tap ruckman going around. Would be nice to get some clear air in the middle.

DOG GOD
12-06-2023, 07:08 PM

Exactly. I certainly wouldn’t be resting any players. It’s a bye the week after.

1eyedog
12-06-2023, 10:03 PM
Out: JOD, A Jones
In: Clearly Poulter.

Mantis
13-06-2023, 09:15 AM
A lot of the clearences we won and have won also aren't clean centre clearences. Suns got 4 or 5 goals from their direct clearences as did Port due to the fact that their mids had the ball hit down their throat. This is where clearences if not to advantage are over rated. Part of the reason I would like to Sweet play as he is considered one of the best tap ruckman going around. Would be nice to get some clear air in the middle.

Can you please point me towards an article or opinion piece that states that Sweet is one of the best tap ruckman in the AFL?

mjp
13-06-2023, 09:23 AM
Can you please point me towards an article or opinion piece that states that Sweet is one of the best tap ruckman in the AFL?

LOL. That would be an obscure article!

He's an OK backup ruck. If English is injured, Sweet plays. Can we all just move on???

EasternWest
13-06-2023, 09:23 AM

He's an OK backup ruck. If English is injured, Sweet plays. Can we all just move on???

Not until Lipinski and Lewis Young are back.

Grantysghost
13-06-2023, 09:26 AM
Not until Lipinski and Lewis Young are back.

Man Lipinski would be the perfect link man now you're right. Skills are so sweet.

(I'm riding your sarcasm!)

Young is crap.

Danjul
13-06-2023, 09:43 AM
Look at the club history. Year: 2021. First 10 games. Top of the ladder. Unique situation.

Reason: Team structure contained tap ruckman and Mobile second ruck and goal kicker (who was actually kicking good goals until an undisciplined teammate gave him concussion).

Who was the tap ruckman? A reject past his prime who broke down. So the gap was patched with a nobody. The wins continued. The percentage stayed high.

So what did we do? Changed to no tap-ruck and resumed our chaotic mix of wins and frequent losses. Fell out of the four.

And what are we happy to accept from other players who are not tap ruckmen. Absolute garbage. (A harsh but accurate description.)

Danjul
13-06-2023, 09:51 AM

No we can?t move on because we have moved backwards. Instead of a tap ruckman we get??????.

Add your own reason for the last 3 results which have been terrible for the supporters (despite the propaganda) and totally unnecessary.

The club is happy to be effectively 2 players down in games. Madness!

hujsh
13-06-2023, 10:08 AM

The GC guy who beat him the other week must be one of the best of all time

Mantis
13-06-2023, 10:28 AM
Look at the club history. Year: 2021. First 10 games. Top of the ladder. Unique situation.

Reason: Team structure contained tap ruckman and Mobile second ruck and goal kicker (who was actually kicking good goals until an undisciplined teammate gave him concussion).

Who was the tap ruckman? A reject past his prime who broke down. So the gap was patched with a nobody. The wins continued. The percentage stayed high.

So what did we do? Changed to no tap-ruck and resumed our chaotic mix of wins and frequent losses. Fell out of the four.

And what are we happy to accept from other players who are not tap ruckmen. Absolute garbage. (A harsh but accurate description.)

All I was after was the article.

westbulldog
13-06-2023, 10:53 AM

Imo Sweet is vastly better than English at ruck contests and Bullies is entitled to his opinion as much as you are :)

Mantis
13-06-2023, 11:01 AM
Imo Sweet is vastly better than English at ruck contests and Bullies is entitled to his opinion as much as you are :)

Bullies stated that Sweet is considered one of the competitions best tap ruckman… I just want to know who considers this to be the case?

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-06-2023, 01:22 PM
Bullies stated that Sweet is considered one of the competitions best tap ruckman… I just want to know who considers this to be the case?

Certainly not Bevo and the Match Committee but many of our loyal Members do.
Managed to beat Gawn last year in one of his fewer AFL games. The top sides like
Melbourne and Collingwood now play two genuine ruck men, whilst we are content to ruck mainly Tim English.
Lobb has been very disappointing and lucky to be still in the team.

jeemak
13-06-2023, 01:38 PM
Sweet didn't play against Melbourne last year, but did the year before registering 17 hit outs to Gawn's 27, and Jackson's 11. English registered nine.

Bulldog4life
13-06-2023, 01:40 PM
Sweet didn't play against Melbourne last year, but did the year before registering 17 hit outs to Gawn's 27, and Jackson's 11. English registered nine.

Hell why did you have to dig up the facts Jee? Spoilsport.

Mofra
13-06-2023, 01:40 PM
It's always someone who isn't in the team that is our savior.
I'd expect Naughton, Bont & Marra nailing set shots improve us far more than any personnel changes ever could this year.

hujsh
13-06-2023, 01:44 PM
Sweet gets up every morning before the rest of us to lift the sun up into the sky.

Jeanette54
13-06-2023, 01:44 PM
It's always someone who isn't in the team that is our savior.
I'd expect Naughton, Bont & Marra nailing set shots improve us far more than any personnel changes ever could this year.

Sadly, with Ed and JJ out injured the cupboard is just a little bare when it comes to in form Footscray players knocking the door down for senior selection.

hujsh
13-06-2023, 01:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmuitaNhxKU&ab_channel=Ingen

Worst crime in humanity was the North Koreans stealing Jordan Sweets achievements and claiming them for the Kim Family

jeemak
13-06-2023, 01:48 PM
Hell why did you have to dig up the facts Jee? Spoilsport.

He did out-tap/hit Ned Reeves last year, though fell short against Witts 55-27 and Cameron 33-26 in games as first ruck.

In addition to the Melbourne game in 2021 he fell short against Ryder 41-16, Ladhams 37-18 and Pittonet 33-17, though he did beat the two Suns rucks substituting for Witts 31-16.

Not sure there's enough there to bill him as one of the competition's best tap rucks, but each to their own and I do agree with more maturity he could elevate his game. He's only 25.

Grantysghost
13-06-2023, 01:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmuitaNhxKU&ab_channel=Ingen

Worst crime in humanity was the North Koreans stealing Jordan Sweets achievements and claiming them for the Kim Family

Was Sweetie the one who got 18 holes in one?

hujsh
13-06-2023, 02:01 PM
Was Sweetie the one who got 18 holes in one?

He doesn't actually Golf because it would be unfair to other players

JanLorMill
13-06-2023, 02:26 PM
He did out-tap/hit Ned Reeves last year, though fell short against Witts 55-27 and Cameron 33-26 in games as first ruck.

In addition to the Melbourne game in 2021 he fell short against Ryder 41-16, Ladhams 37-18 and Pittonet 33-17, though he did beat the two Suns rucks substituting for Witts 31-16.

Not sure there's enough there to bill him as one of the competition's best tap rucks, but each to their own and I do agree with more maturity he could elevate his game. He's only 25.
How many of those games did we win which is the probably the most important thing? I don’t really care how many taps or even taps to advantage. How about clean exits did we or the opposition get? Did our ruck make it hard for them or hard for us?

Rocco Jones
13-06-2023, 03:18 PM
20 of the last 23 posts in this thread mention/reply to Sweet. We now have a home for WOOF's #1 discussion point (2 of the other 3 about Lewy Young and/or Lipsinki).

EasternWest
13-06-2023, 03:24 PM
20 of the last 23 posts in this thread mention/reply to Sweet. We now have a home for WOOF's #1 discussion point (2 of the other 3 about Lewy Young and/or Lipsinki).

You're right Rocco, thread needs more Robbie McComb.

Rocco Jones
13-06-2023, 03:44 PM
You're right Rocco, thread needs more Robbie McComb.

Business idea. Don't steal. When Robbie eventually kills if, I'm emailing Maccas about some sort of cross promotion with a comb ergo a 'McCombo" (idk if ergo correct there but I like it) as part of a Happy Meal.

jeemak
13-06-2023, 03:55 PM
How many of those games did we win which is the probably the most important thing? I don’t really care how many taps or even taps to advantage. How about clean exits did we or the opposition get? Did our ruck make it hard for them or hard for us?

This was in response to him being cited as a premier tap ruck in the competition. Now a premier tap ruck winning games by losing the ruck contests would be a sight for sore eyes!

bulldogtragic
13-06-2023, 03:59 PM
No love for Raak. Could be the change to go undefeated. You’re all blinded.

hujsh
13-06-2023, 05:03 PM
No love for Raak. Could be the change to go undefeated. You’re all blinded.

I'm in Camp Cleary personally

bulldogtragic
13-06-2023, 05:07 PM
I'm in Camp Cleary personally

That’s the obvious answer. I know messiahs, I’ve followed heaps of them. Raak is a messiah, no doubt.

kruder
13-06-2023, 09:03 PM
Roarke Smith was solid last week will be considered for sure and I reckon Baker deserves another chance.

Cleary and Poulter have trained off a bit over the last month, not doing enough damage with the footy for mine.

JOD and Arty have to be out of the side this week surely.

hujsh
14-06-2023, 02:51 AM
If it were me probably Cleary and Baker (maybe Hanan he did play well in the VFL) into the 22 for JOD and Arthur or McNeil (I really have no strong preference, Arthur might be out of steam but if not his ceiling is higher and is a better long term prospect)

But it's not me so probably Hanan in for Arthur or McNeil or West.

DOG GOD
14-06-2023, 09:46 AM
I can see….

In: Hannan and McNeil
Out: JOD and Arty

1eyedog
14-06-2023, 10:32 AM
I can see….

In: Hannan and McNeil
Out: JOD and Arty

Yikes!

MrMahatma
14-06-2023, 11:20 AM
In:Poulter, Baker
Out: JOD, Bruce

A Jones on watch but hopefully he can get a kick this week.

Let's load up our outside game and meters gained.

hujsh
14-06-2023, 11:23 AM
If it were me probably Cleary and Baker (maybe Hanan he did play well in the VFL) into the 22 for JOD and Arthur or McNeil (I really have no strong preference, Arthur might be out of steam but if not his ceiling is higher and is a better long term prospect)

But it's not me so probably Hanan in for Arthur or McNeil or West.

Since McNeil wasn't in the team it's probably Hannan for Jones.

I'd drop Bruce and JOD for Gardiner or Cleary and Baker.

I just love dropping McNeil so much

Grantysghost
14-06-2023, 11:26 AM
I think we need d50 run so we need to get someone in who can provide that.

I haven't seen enough of Poulter tbh. I hear he's a nice kick however no idea around his speed.

How badly would Baz crack the sads playing off half back?

This team really lacks genuine pace when you look through the list.

Ok - it's left field however.

No change.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-06-2023, 12:10 PM
How there is still a 4.40 Sunday game when 6 teams have the bye is beyond me.

Grantysghost
14-06-2023, 12:36 PM

Yes I hate that slot!

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2023, 12:45 PM
I think we need d50 run so we need to get someone in who can provide that.

I haven't seen enough of Poulter tbh. I hear he's a nice kick however no idea around his speed.

How badly would Baz crack the sads playing off half back?

This team really lacks genuine pace when you look through the list.

Ok - it's left field however.

No change.

Not as much as I would. We already seem to be coughing up 8+ goals a week on turnover. Baz at half back bumps that up to about 12+ goals a game ;)

westbulldog
15-06-2023, 08:38 AM
Sweet gets up every morning before the rest of us to lift the sun up into the sky.

nah, it is your mate "multiple chances multiple failures McNeil" practicing his goalkicking from 25m out who is up before Sweet or anyone else :)

Grantysghost
15-06-2023, 08:55 AM
nah, it is your mate "multiple chances multiple failures McNeil" practicing his goalkicking from 25m out who is up before Sweet or anyone else :)

Finally somebody called out Hujsh on this

hujsh
15-06-2023, 09:59 AM

https://media.tenor.com/lx2WSGRk8bcAAAAC/pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

hujsh
15-06-2023, 10:02 AM
Finally somebody called out Hujsh on this

I just love dropping McNeil so much

I'm guessing WD is also joking with me given I just said that just above. But who knows that's the fun of the internet

Bullies
15-06-2023, 10:43 AM
I guess we will get to see how good he is next year when he is at another club. We can reserve our judgements until then.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2023, 10:55 AM
From Bevo presser, sounds like the messiah Hannan is back to save the day.

hujsh
15-06-2023, 10:57 AM
I guess we will get to see how good he is next year when he is at another club. We can reserve our judgements until then.
To save you all the trouble of checking (https://www.afl.com.au/news/57347/who-you-gonna-call-what-happens-when-the-ruckman-goes-down)

Next in line
Jordon Sweet. Ready to make an instant impact after winning the SANFL flag with North Adelaide last year. The 202cm 21-year-old makes up for his relative lack of height compared to the dominant big men with his physicality. Big watch on JLT Community Series form.
Can they play together?
Given Jackson Trengove is expected to play more in attack and will provide the ideal foil as a back-up, it's hard to see English and Sweet playing together. Only possible scenario is if English can develop his forward craft to play 70-30 in attack.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2023, 12:04 PM

Surely not.

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 01:06 PM
Surely not.

Hopefully TOB gets a call up as well with McComb as sub. That would be perfect.

azabob
15-06-2023, 01:12 PM
Surely not.

100% he will play and I reckon O?Brien will also play.

azabob
15-06-2023, 01:13 PM
Hopefully TOB gets a call up as well with McComb as sub. That would be perfect.

Well, I reckon you will get two out of three ;)

Curly5
15-06-2023, 01:14 PM

And why a Thursday game and only 2 Saturday games, not in the prime slot?

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 01:19 PM
Well, I reckon you will get two out of three ;)

That 4.40 timeslot suits for this occasion then.

hujsh
15-06-2023, 01:34 PM
Surely not.

Didn't he kick 5 in the VFL? Not surprising even if we've written him off. Fair few think Jones should be dropped so who else would come in for him? We've seen how well Mclean does in the forward role

bulldogtragic
15-06-2023, 01:44 PM
Didn't he kick 5 in the VFL? Not surprising even if we've written him off. Fair few think Jones should be dropped so who else would come in for him? We've seen how well Mclean does in the forward role

Kind of how South Park framed the 2016 US Election.

Turd Sandwich vs Giant Douche.

We aren’t blessed with players taking their opportunities in the role this year. So, turd sandwich?

GVGjr
15-06-2023, 02:01 PM
Cody's 50 th game on Sunday.

hujsh
15-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Kind of how South Park framed the 2016 US Election.

Turd Sandwich vs Giant Douche.

We aren’t blessed with players taking their opportunities in the role this year. So, turd sandwich?

That's one way to look at it. My POV is Weightman is back in form and we've found a player for the future who has taken that opportunity in Jones but he's still young and developing so won't always be in the role.

Hannan if his form and fitness is up is good enough to play that role if Jones isn't in form/fit. That's solid. Between the tall forwards and the mids that's all we have space for. You then have guys like McNeil who can at least put on pressure if we have injuries.

The only difference between us and most other teams might be that instead of McNeil there might be another player who's more unknown, a bit younger and a potential higher ceiling. That's a guess though, I'm not familiar enough with other lists to know who the 3rd/4th small forward on their list is.

GVGjr
15-06-2023, 03:03 PM
If Hannan is in then I would assume it's to replace JOD which I wonder if this still makes us a bit too tall?
I'm not anti with a Hannan selection but does it improve our forward line and give us a bit more run is what I'm more interested in assessing.

Grantysghost
15-06-2023, 03:05 PM
If Hannan is in then I would assume it's to replace JOD which I wonder if this still makes us a bit too tall?
I'm not anti with a Hannan selection but does it improve our forward line and give us a bit more run is what I'm more interested in assessing.

JOD played defence last week...Hmm Hannan to defence!

DOG GOD
15-06-2023, 03:08 PM
Of course he is. One of Bevo’s faves

GVGjr
15-06-2023, 03:11 PM
JOD played defence last week...Hmm Hannan to defence!

You're probably right but I'm sure I saw him in our forward line for some periods of time. I know we had to send Williams to the BP after Keath was doing a concussion test and we had already subbed JOD.

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 03:20 PM

Depends which player you are. There was a guy last year who was one of the most dominate forwards in the league at VFL level. He didn't get as many chances as this guy.

hujsh
15-06-2023, 03:39 PM
Depends which player you are. There was a guy last year who was one of the most dominate forwards in the league at VFL level. He didn't get as many chances as this guy.

In that case we clearly had a preference for Jamarra and to try and get Bruce into form (eventually playing Darcy forward instead). The former is working out well long term and the latter was a waste of time.

I don't care to look back at Schache and say we completely disregard VFL form. Clearly there's more that's considered beyond VFL form (or Clearly would have got a game by now) that informs the faith the coaching group has in players like Hannan/Vandermeer and the lack of faith in players like Schache. I can only guess what those factors are though.

Regardless Hannan is a player we play and he played well in the VFL so I'm surprised anyone would be surprised he would be considered for inclusion in a role where people are calling for the incumbent to be dropped.

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 03:48 PM
In that case we clearly had a preference for Jamarra and to try and get Bruce into form (eventually playing Darcy forward instead). The former is working out well long term and the latter was a waste of time.

I don't care to look back at Schache and say we completely disregard VFL form. Clearly there's more that's considered beyond VFL form (or Clearly would have got a game by now) that informs the faith the coaching group has in players like Hannan/Vandermeer and the lack of faith in players like Schache. I can only guess what those factors are though.

Regardless Hannan is a player we play and he played well in the VFL so I'm surprised anyone would be surprised he would be considered for inclusion in a role where people are calling for the incumbent to be dropped.

I get all that mate and normally I wouldn't have a problem. From the outside looking in there is just no consistency on both VFL and AFL form. It's plagued this club under Bevo's watch.

hujsh
15-06-2023, 03:55 PM
I get all that mate and normally I wouldn't have a problem. From the outside looking in there is just no consistency on both VFL and AFL form. It's plagued this club under Bevo's watch.

I agree it frustrating and while it's the kind of thing I'd like more insight to we're also probably no different from any other fanbase in that regard. We're just one of the more frustrated groups because we're not a clear top 4 team and we don't have a sense that we're building up to anything great either.

Ozza
15-06-2023, 04:08 PM
I have no problem with Arty staying in the side off the back of zero touches. It wasn't through lack of effort, he had more sprint efforts than anyone on the ground - it was just a weird game for him where the ball didn't come his way - whereas Weightman had plenty of it and it fell his way. There's been weeks where Cody can't get a kick.

Backing him to have a good one this weekend if selected.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2023, 04:34 PM

At what point is performance actually important? Hannan has had more chances than just about any of our fringe players in recent years. Accept what he is - largely a non contributor. If we have injuries, fine, but we just don't for that position. I really couldn't care less for any other parameters than performance for a player of his age and experience.

I'd much, much rather stick with Arty and work through his struggles than use Hannan again.

hujsh
15-06-2023, 04:39 PM
At what point is performance actually important? Hannan has had more chances than just about any of our fringe players in recent years. Accept what he is - largely a non contributor. If we have injuries, fine, but we just don't for that position. I really couldn't care less for any other parameters than performance for a player of his age and experience.

I'd much, much rather stick with Arty and work through his struggles than use Hannan again.

I'd be happy with either TBH, with Jones not in great form I'm just non-plussed about who fills the role and am fine with the person in goal kicking form.

DOG GOD
15-06-2023, 04:51 PM
The fact that Hannan is even in the mix just shows where we are at.

Rocket Science
15-06-2023, 06:04 PM
You'll get Caleb Poulter and you'll like it.

JanLorMill
15-06-2023, 06:48 PM
You'll get Caleb Poulter and you'll like it.
Pretty silly to draft him in mid season and not play him

Danjul
15-06-2023, 06:59 PM

Arty has had 5 times the game time this season as Hannan and still only contributed 4 goals. And he has been a terrible liability in the last couple of weeks. Let?s tell Hannan he has the second half of the season to settle in and show us what he is capable of.

With a zero possession game as our get out of goal clause.

Scraggers
15-06-2023, 07:25 PM
Outs:- Arthur Jones (Omitted), James O'Donnell (Omitted), Josh Bruce (Omitted)
Ins (from):- Hayden Crozier, Lachlan McNeil, Mitch Hannan, Robbie McComb, Ryan Gardner, Tim O'Brien

Axe Man
15-06-2023, 07:27 PM
Ins (from):- Hayden Crozier, Lachlan McNeil, Mitch Hannan, Robbie McComb, Ryan Gardner, Tim O'Brien

I thought they were our 3 worst from last week and exactly who I would have dropped. I am surprised!

Scraggers
15-06-2023, 07:28 PM

Oskar Baker is named on the Bulldogs site, but not AFL website

The bulldog tragician
15-06-2023, 07:31 PM

The potential ins are whatever the plural is of whipping boys in one group.

EasternWest
15-06-2023, 07:33 PM

Talk about a Freudian slip

1eyedog
15-06-2023, 07:36 PM
Arty has had 5 times the game time this season as Hannan and still only contributed 4 goals. And he has been a terrible liability in the last couple of weeks. Let?s tell Hannan he has the second half of the season to settle in and show us what he is capable of.

Love it.

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 07:42 PM
All the favs named on the extended squad.

This guy is too much.

Danjul
15-06-2023, 07:43 PM
Talk about a Freudian slip
That is not what I typed, but my iPad always overrules me.

josie
15-06-2023, 07:48 PM
No Cleary or Khamis or Poulter.

Not very inspiring.

Glad they left West in. Hope he has a good game.

GVGjr
15-06-2023, 07:48 PM
I thought they were our 3 worst from last week and exactly who I would have dropped. I am surprised!

Things must be getting tight when there is some selection integrity :)

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 07:52 PM
No Cleary or Khamis or Poulter.

Not very inspiring.

Glad they left West in. Hope he has a good game.

I wouldn't say that yet. He's on the extended bench, this joker will probably drop him.

EasternWest
15-06-2023, 07:55 PM
That is not what I typed, but my iPad always overrules me.

Well yeah, that's how Freudian slips happen.

Although usually with less tech.

jeemak
15-06-2023, 07:58 PM
All the favs named on the extended squad.

This guy is too much.

I wouldn't say that yet. He's on the extended bench, this joker will probably drop him.

You're not taking this at all well are you mate? :)

Bullies
15-06-2023, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't say that yet. He's on the extended bench, this joker will probably drop him. Interesting as there is talk that a few of the players have reached out to MC in regards to selection or non selection of certain players.

josie
15-06-2023, 08:03 PM

For McNeil (groan) or Hannan (sigh) or McComb. (Aaargh).

G-Mo77
15-06-2023, 08:04 PM
You're not taking this at all well are you mate? :)

Not at all. Was it too obvious? ;)

jeemak
15-06-2023, 08:06 PM
Not at all. Was it too obvious? ;)

Just a vibe I'm picking up!

kruder
15-06-2023, 08:09 PM
O’Brien Hannan and Baker will be the ins.

JanLorMill
15-06-2023, 08:15 PM
Bevo probably lamenting Gowers isn’t on the list anymore.

Danjul
15-06-2023, 08:17 PM
Bevo probably lamenting Gowers isn?t on the list anymore.
There was a time when the only excitement I got from going to the footy was provided by Gowers.

Sedat
15-06-2023, 08:32 PM
Bevo probably lamenting Gowers isn’t on the list anymore.
Ahem, that would be "2018 club winning goalkicker Gowers"

Good days

macca
15-06-2023, 08:37 PM

my interpretation of ommitted Arty and JOD as being rested, to recover from rigors of senior footy

Looks like they are going to persist with McNeil to invest games into him.

Its a shame no games for Cleary and Khamis. Probably there are KPI MC has, which they have not hit .

hujsh
15-06-2023, 09:09 PM
Guessing Crozier for JOD which isn't inspiring. We know what Crozier is and I really want to see Clearly with another shot at the big time. I'm guessing we like his aerial presence but... it's not a good presence it's kind of just chaos.

Hotdog60
15-06-2023, 09:15 PM
Crozier's motto is to mark the ball and then proceed to bomb it down line and make it's someone else's problem an the only problem with that is it enviably comes back before he gets back on his man.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-06-2023, 09:19 PM
my interpretation of ommitted Arty and JOD as being rested, to recover from rigors of senior footy

Looks like they are going to persist with McNeil to invest games into him.

Its a shame no games for Cleary and Khamis. Probably there are KPI MC has, which they have not hit .

Cleary Khamis and Sweet should all be playing and so the merry go round continues. It is do or die against North

EasternWest
15-06-2023, 09:30 PM
Crozier's motto is to mark the ball and then proceed to bomb it down line and make it's someone else's problem an the only problem with that is it enviably comes back before he gets back on his man.

Sounds largely like our midfield except replace "down the line" with "into the 50".

JanLorMill
15-06-2023, 09:36 PM
Sad. At least 4 of those in shouldn’t be on the list next year.

Rocco Jones
15-06-2023, 10:16 PM
Sounds largely like our midfield except replace "down the line" with "into the 50".

At least the forward line has their kicking worked out.

Bullies
16-06-2023, 10:48 AM
Sounds largely like our midfield except replace "down the line" with "into the 50". and ensure it is wide to the pockets so it is harder to score from.

Axe Man
16-06-2023, 05:51 PM
Ahem, that would be "2018 club winning goalkicker Gowers"

Good days

Billy has kicked 14 goals in 3 games for Moe, maybe we should have taken him in the mid season draft! ;)

Mantis
16-06-2023, 06:02 PM
Final team announced.

In - Baker, O'Brien, Hannan
Out - Bruce, Arty, JOD

Emergencies - McNeil, Gardner, Crozier, McComb

angelopetraglia
16-06-2023, 06:04 PM
Final team announced.

Out - Bruce, Arty, JOD

Baker is an upgrade on JOD.

Hannan is an upgrade on what Arty has been bringing in recent weeks.

O'Brien = Bruce

bornadog
16-06-2023, 06:10 PM

O'Brien = Bruce

Hannan has played 2 good games in 3 years

DOG GOD
16-06-2023, 06:14 PM

O'Brien = Bruce

Arty with no possessions is still better than Hannan.

angelopetraglia
16-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Hannan has played 2 good games in 3 years

This is true. Agree.

However Arty has not kicked a goal in his last four games. He didn't touch the Sherrin last week. The week before he had seven touches. I don't think Hannan can be worse than that.

hujsh
16-06-2023, 06:17 PM
Final team announced.

Out - Bruce, Arty, JOD

Feels like we're maybe still a HBF short with Richards and JJ out. Maybe Scott will go through there as part of his rotations.

Bulldog Joe
16-06-2023, 06:21 PM
Feels like we're maybe still a HBF short with Richards and JJ out. Maybe Scott will go through there as part of his rotations.

Don't we have the dashing speed of VDM to cover half back.:o

DOG GOD
16-06-2023, 06:33 PM
McComb a shoe in for Sub ?

bornadog
16-06-2023, 06:38 PM
This is true. Agree.

However Arty has not kicked a goal in his last four games. He didn't touch the Sherrin last week. The week before he had seven touches. I don't think Hannan can be worse than that.

Maybe throw Clarke in there?

angelopetraglia
16-06-2023, 06:43 PM
Maybe throw Clarke in there?

I'm sure they threw that up as an option. Hannan did kick 5 goals last week. Reward the form and see what happens. But this would have to be his last chance you would think.

bornadog
16-06-2023, 06:50 PM
I'm sure they threw that up as an option. Hannan did kick 5 goals last week. Reward the form and see what happens. But this would have to be his last chance you would think.

I want a minimum of two goals from him

G-Mo77
16-06-2023, 06:50 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFEzW1Z6TRM

DOG GOD
16-06-2023, 06:59 PM

Not sure he will kick 2 goals, but he might cost us 2 lol

macca
16-06-2023, 09:00 PM

I want a the AEFL to change the rules, so we can have a min of 2 subs.

So always have players like Hannan and McNeil on.

josie
16-06-2023, 10:19 PM

Please no. How Cleary and Khamis and Poulter are not selected before him is unfathomable. I don’t think he played that well in VFL. At least Hannan did play well. IMO yet another Bevo puzzler.

macca
16-06-2023, 10:42 PM
Please no. How Cleary and Khamis and Poulter are not selected before him is unfathomable. I don’t think he played that well in VFL. At least Hannan did play well. IMO yet another Bevo puzzler.

Maybe MC sees that McComb is worth having game time invested so he may come good ?

I have my doubts. I am not convinced having poor disposal, hard working footballers is going to win our premiership. No disrespect to Hannan and McComb on their efforts and merits in getting into the team. I just don't know what the KPI measures are with selection sometimes ????? :confused:

Not putting games into Khamis, Clearly vs McComb for remainder of season ... I guess only time will tell once the season is over where we finish up.

We need to look at tough natural footballers like the Luke Ablettes, Dempsey, Clay smith, Picken etc... who were contested beasts and hated losing contests.

We need to put a premium on good kicking skills.

azabob
17-06-2023, 01:14 AM
One for the vfl watchers. What position and role does Cleary play?

From the outside looking in I thought he was a half back and would’ve been a good option to replace Richards.

It is really odd that we have had so much disruption in our back six through injury and poor form and Cleary hasn’t been able to get a look in.

Further to this the club must have seen something as we extended his contract in his first year until 2025.

jeemak
17-06-2023, 01:53 AM
It might be something as simple as not holding his spot in a structure, running hard enough, or having some faults in the way he defends that will get exposed at the higher level.

The least likely thing would be crazy match committee being crazy.

1eyedog
17-06-2023, 06:00 AM
It might be something as simple as not holding his spot in a structure, running hard enough, or having some faults in the way he defends that will get exposed at the higher level.

The least likely thing would be crazy match committee being crazy.

You mean like we got from JOD for 5 weeks?

josie
17-06-2023, 04:03 PM
One for the vfl watchers. What position and role does Cleary play?

From the outside looking in I thought he was a half back and would’ve been a good option to replace Richards.

It is really odd that we have had so much disruption in our back six through injury and poor form and Cleary hasn’t been able to get a look in.

Further to this the club must have seen something as we extended his contract in his first year until 2025.

Neat disposal and less prone to turnovers than others in VFL backline, reads the play pretty well however slight in build and doesn’t stream away/take the game on like Richards. Not sure of his lockdown abilities so not sure his our next Duryea but I’d say he is more of a backline link up type player like Daniel.

josie
17-06-2023, 04:05 PM
JoD and Arty warming up for VFL. Cannot see McComb or McNeill. Actually cannot see Poulter either. Poulter is playing here.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2023, 04:26 PM
JoD and Arty warming up for VFL. Cannot see McComb or McNeill. Actually cannot see Poulter either. Poulter is playing here.

Just remember everyone, whoever it is, #blamethesub

BornInDroopSt'54
17-06-2023, 06:37 PM
The potential ins are whatever the plural is of whipping boys in one group.

Yes yet Hannan's seasoned strength will be an improve0ment.
I suggest a bakers dozen of red cheeked whipping buns.