PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 18 v Sydney

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 05:51 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Eighteen match against Collingwood for our Round Nineteen match against Sydney at SCG on Thursday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
07-07-2023, 12:51 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 11:08 PM
In: JJ, Darcy, Khamis, Cleary

Out: VDM, Lobb, McNeil, Duryea

JanLorMill
07-07-2023, 11:26 PM
What about Busslinger for Jod?

G-Mo77
07-07-2023, 11:29 PM
Gardner with a bad ankle may not get up next week, that being said they chose to leave him out there on one leg rather than keep JOD in the game. It wouldn't surprise me if Bus debuted next week.

macca
07-07-2023, 11:31 PM
WE need to be playing some of the younger players: Buku, Clearly, Busslinger, to see where they are out .

westbulldog
07-07-2023, 11:41 PM
Duryea had 5 kicked on him by my reckoning = out
O"Donnell out
Cleary, Khamis and Busslinger (if Gardner out) in

Bumper Bulldogs
07-07-2023, 11:48 PM
JJ straight back for VDM, Doc keeps his spot. He is the General and if Gards misses next week we will need his leadership.

JOD out and replaced by Darcy we may need a swing man to replace Gards

Lobb out (He can’t be 100%) replaced by Khamas. He was solid when he play forward last year.

JanLorMill
07-07-2023, 11:52 PM
Lobb should go for Darcy but I doubt the club will admit defeat on Lobb

EasternWest
07-07-2023, 11:53 PM
We just gave Vandermeer two more years right?

bulldogtragic
07-07-2023, 11:55 PM
We just gave Vandermeer two more years right?

Enjoy them.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-07-2023, 11:56 PM
It's a funny one - most of the outs probably come from the defenders, yet it was our midfield (and English) who actually let us down

VDM, JOD, Gardner, Duryea are candidates but it doesn't solve the issue of the mids.

G-Mo77
07-07-2023, 11:57 PM
Lobb out (He can’t be 100%) replaced by Khamas. He was solid when he play forward last year.

Is he injured? I was pleased getting him here, in hindsight what a waste. Overpaid at the trade table and on the hook for another 2 years at 1/2 of a million per. That hurts and sadly we'll feel that for a long period of time.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Is he injured? I was pleased getting him here, in hindsight what a waste. Overpaid at the trade table and on the hook for another 2 years at 1/2 of a million per. That hurts and sadly we'll feel that for a long period of time.

I don’t know but the way he is moving, to me it looks like he is. He doesn’t seem to have explosive power like the others. It’s like he is just labouring along. To me anyway.

If injuries rest him he will be needed in the finals

anfo27
08-07-2023, 01:04 AM

Just don't think we know how best to use him. A lot of the time you'd be forgiven for thinking he wasn't even playing.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 01:36 AM
Just don't think we know how best to use him. A lot of the time you'd be forgiven for thinking he wasn't even playing.

I would like to see him take more Ruck time and let Tim wonder around the ground like a mid.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2023, 08:23 AM

This is exactly it. You?d think the 6 months chasing him and 6 months pre-season we?d have a solid plan. But nope. Our brains trust was using him as a winger for a while. How can you invest so much trade capital and salary cap into a guy and seemingly be confused with what you?re doing with him. I imagine he?s a little confused too. If we can?t return him to bring an influential big man then we?ve blown the full opportunity of this trade.

I was so strongly in favour of this trade, but right now, it?s unfulfilled and will remain so until we can work out how to get the best out of him. Darcy dominated yesterday and should come in. Would Lobb respond to being dropped. Would the club take the media pressure by dropping him? I don?t know.

Freo getting two pick 30?s must be so happy though. They stood their ground and got maximum return.

azabob
08-07-2023, 01:25 PM
IN: Bruce, JJ, Darcy
OUT: Gardner, O?Donnell, Lobb

Bruce in for Gardner
Darcy in for Lobb
JJ or Cleary for O?Donnell

Clearly the match commitee want the structure of three tall defenders and three tall forwards.

Due to injuries it?s almost impossible to keep the three key defender structure.

Lobb is currently offering zero influence. Darcy is clearly talented, I?m now of the view we just have to play him.

azabob
08-07-2023, 01:26 PM
I would like to see him take more Ruck time and let Tim wonder around the ground like a mid.

Hard pass. We want a ruck not a hybrid midfielder.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 01:45 PM
This is exactly it. You?d think the 6 months chasing him and 6 months pre-season we?d have a solid plan. But nope. Our brains trust was using him as a winger for a while. How can you invest so much trade capital and salary cap into a guy and seemingly be confused with what you?re doing with him. I imagine he?s a little confused too. If we can?t return him to bring an influential big man then we?ve blown the full opportunity of this trade.

I was so strongly in favour of this trade, but right now, it?s unfulfilled and will remain so until we can work out how to get the best out of him. Darcy dominated yesterday and should come in. Would Lobb respond to being dropped. Would the club take the media pressure by dropping him? I don?t know.

Freo getting two pick 30?s must be so happy though. They stood their ground and got maximum return.

I think we had a clear plan for him, however, it didn't work or isn't working at the moment. Now we have a competent second ruck playing each week having minimal forward impact because he's rarely targeted, not really gelling in a forward line that's still got its issues, and is possibly carrying an injury.

We don't move the football quickly most weeks, and mostly have forwards jumping over each other. So when I say the plan we had, of three talls all playing prominent roles forward didn't work, then someone has to play a less prominent role and that someone is Lobb.

He was disappointing last night, but he stays in the side as the second ruck because we need a second ruck and don't have anyone else to play the role. Could somebody on less money and trade capital play the role he's playing right now? Probably. Could someone on less money and trade capital play the a key forward role if one of Naughton and Marra goes down? Possibly - but probably not.

Big guys cost a lot to get to your club.

meenies
08-07-2023, 01:49 PM
Bus for Gardy - it's time.
If we al 100% sure JJ is ready then maybe swap for O'Donnell.
If give Smith some wellbeing leave (although Bevo presser more about limited preseason and nagging injuries) then bring in Arty. Remember Smith only entered preseason around the time of the Ballarat practice game. (did he play in that one?)
Lobb needs to start from the goal square and lead out but JUH and Naughtie prefer to be in that spot most times. We are not playing him to his forward strengths.

Danjul
08-07-2023, 01:52 PM
I disagree.

You want a ruck. The coach wants a hybrid. That is why we got Lobb and he is delivering exactly what we expected- because that is what he contributed At Freo lately.

In his last 5 games for Freo he scored goals in two, both against us. 4 goals from 7 possessions as a leading forward at Marvel. Not used in the ruck.

His ruck performances are consistent with previously, occasionally a better outcome but usually only when playing against a short non-ruck like last week where he had a 15 cm height advantage or a beginner . Generally more a spoiler in the ruck.

That is our game plan. And Lobb is the perfect fit.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 02:17 PM

Depends on your definition of a ruck. How many rucks in the competition get more disposals than Tim? I will tell you, one and only by an average of 19.20 to Tims 19.19 and it is Rowan Marshall. Next best is Bilcavs at 16.36.

My theory is Lobb gets more time in Ruck and Tim doesn't rest up forward, but gets more time in mid. Yes he would need to rest as well.

macca
08-07-2023, 03:12 PM
Rowan Marshall and Blicav are athletically gifted and just freakish gifted footballers. They offer their team a hyrid player of ruck+another position

bevo game plan demands our ruckman be a hybrid player
I agrre witb @danjul , Lobb is doing exactly what the coaches want and that is multiple positions

The reason he kicked 4 goals against us at Freo is they had better fwd delivery , running patterns , and all big talls seek to find a way to kick a bag against us.

One observstion i like to make is use.Lobb as a marking option coming out ofdefense , like how Brisbane and Geelong use for their talls. It wont hapoen as we tend to switch the play to go back and then to the other side of the ground which us very slow

kruder
08-07-2023, 03:14 PM
There is no way you would play Buss as a second key defender, we have already thrown JOD to the wolves lets to patient with the kid. His body is clearly not ready for key defence in the AFL.

kruder
08-07-2023, 03:19 PM
Rowan Marshall and Blicav are athletically gifted and just freakish gifted footballers. They offer their team a hyrid player of ruck+another position

bevo game plan demands our ruckman be a hybrid player
I agrre witb @danjul , Lobb is doing exactly what the coaches want and that is multiple positions

The reason he kicked 4 goals against us at Freo is they had better fwd delivery , running patterns , and all big talls seek to find a way to kick a bag against us.

One observstion i like to make is use.Lobb as a marking option coming out ofdefense , like how Brisbane and Geelong use for their talls. It wont hapoen as we tend to switch the play to go back and then to the other side of the ground which us very slow

Presented as an option out of defence last night a number of times, our players don't like kicking it to Lobb. I actually thought his ruck work was pretty good again last night.

azabob
08-07-2023, 03:35 PM
Presented as an option out of defence last night a number of times, our players don't like kicking it to Lobb. I actually thought his ruck work was pretty good again last night.

Why would you kick it to Lobb when he hasn’t shown the ability to take contested marks?

azabob
08-07-2023, 03:37 PM
Depends on your definition of a ruck. How many rucks in the competition get more disposals than Tim? I will tell you, one and only by an average of 19.20 to Tims 19.19 and it is Rowan Marshall. Next best is Bilcavs at 16.36.

My theory is Lobb gets more time in Ruck and Tim doesn't rest up forward, but gets more time in mid. Yes he would need to rest as well.

Yep. Our definitions of ruck are very different and that’s ok.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 03:53 PM
Yep. Our definitions of ruck are very different and that’s ok.

What is your defintion? Tap and that is it?

G-Mo77
08-07-2023, 03:56 PM
There is no way you would play Buss as a second key defender, we have already thrown JOD to the wolves lets to patient with the kid. His body is clearly not ready for key defence in the AFL.

Probably not but you can slot him in to JOD spot as the 3rd tall. Why can't we play Buss early but we can rush JOD into the team for an extended run? Gardner will get up, he's tough as nails, Buss can slot in JODs spot, it's a perfect time for his debut IMO.

azabob
08-07-2023, 04:12 PM
What is your defintion? Tap and that is it?

I’d like my ruckman to be more like Ben Hudson or Toby Nankervis. They provide a physical presence who value one percenters, who block and make space for our midfielders.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2023, 04:13 PM
Probably not but you can slot him in to JOD spot as the 3rd tall. Why can't we play Buss early but we can rush JOD into the team for an extended run? Gardner will get up, he's tough as nails, Buss can slot in JODs spot, it's a perfect time for his debut IMO.

Fair point. JOD has contributed nothing at senior level. Buss couldn't be any worse.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 04:18 PM
I’d like my ruckman to be more like Ben Hudson or Toby Nankervis. They provide a physical presence who value one percenters, who block and make space for our midfielders.

Yes I like that too but I also want them to be handy around the ground with marking and not lumber around like the rucks of the past.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 04:47 PM
Was Ben Hudson any good or was he just popular because Bob Murphy wrote about him and was a hard at it scrapper in a side that was perceived to not have enough of those types?

JanLorMill
08-07-2023, 04:57 PM
Was Ben Hudson any good or was he just popular because Bob Murphy wrote about him and was a hard at it scrapper in a side that was perceived to not have enough of those types?
The easy answer is
Our ruck wasn’t the problem in 3 consecutive prelim finals campaigns he played, whereas in all our past finals losses since 2016 our rucks have been a big problem.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 05:06 PM
The easy answer is
Our ruck wasn’t the problem in 3 consecutive prelim finals campaigns he played, whereas in all our past finals losses since 2016 our rucks have been a big problem.

A cursory look back at the stats from the preliminary finals of 08, 09 and 10 might show that in the former two our rucks seemed to have not performed that well.

But sure, if that's the easy answer for you, go for it.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 05:07 PM
A cursory look back at the stats from the preliminary finals of 08, 09 and 10 might show that in the former two our rucks seemed to have not performed that well.

But sure, if that's the easy answer for you, go for it.

The third man up helped us in those days.

macca
08-07-2023, 05:17 PM
The easy answer is
Our ruck wasn?t the problem in 3 consecutive prelim finals campaigns he played, whereas in all our past finals losses since 2016 our rucks have been a big problem.

Hudson , halved the contest and won stoppages for us , see Jarrod Witts as same type of player
Hudson was renowned for his stoppage work .
The great beard him popular, cult like

Mofra
08-07-2023, 05:25 PM
Hudson was brilliant at the post-ruck stuff, using his body to block, tackling, etc
His real forte was never ruckwork or marking as such, but his recovery from the tap was fantastic and did the non-stat stuff really well. He made our mids function better.

It was a different era though. Dean Cox was a freak in those days. Now most rucks are expected to contribute in possession chains and the 'never handball to a ruckman' rule is out the window.

Mofra
08-07-2023, 05:26 PM
The third man up helped us in those days.
The third man up rule won us a flag. Scrapping it in 2017 really really hurt us

azabob
08-07-2023, 05:27 PM
Hudson , halved the contest and won stoppages for us , see Jarrod Witts as same type of player
Hudson was renowned for his stoppage work .
The great beard him popular, cult like

Yep. Lucky he had Murphy on his side otherwise he never would've played 168 games.

macca
08-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Hudson was brilliant at the post-ruck stuff, using his body to block, tackling, etc
His real forte was never ruckwork or marking as such, but his recovery from the tap was fantastic and did the non-stat stuff really well. He made our mids function better.

It was a different era though. Dean Cox was a freak in those days. Now most rucks are expected to contribute in possession chains and the 'never handball to a ruckman' rule is out the window.

From memory of the stoppages , I would see Hudson at the base of the pack . Sadly the way the stupid subjective prior opportunity rules would have killed players like Hudson

Thanks for recalling those moments Mofra

Mofra
08-07-2023, 05:34 PM
Yep. Lucky he had Murphy on his side otherwise he never would've played 168 games.
If you're tall, and considered a good bloke, you get an extra 5 years of an AFL career regardless.

Hudson retired more than John Farnham. Tom Campbell, Daniel Gorringe. Somehow Tom Hickey improved after age 30 but was in the same category. John Ceglar is still on an AFL list.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 05:55 PM
I liked Hudson and thought he had some great traits, but can also acknowledge he wasn't great at giving his players first use and was extremely limited in other areas of the game.

However, I feel when we look back at his style we only remember the really good traits and forget the less than average/ ordinary ones. Tim doesn't get that luxury, in fact, it probably goes the other way for him.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2023, 06:09 PM
I liked Hudson and thought he had some great traits, but can also acknowledge he wasn't great at giving his players first use and was extremely limited in other areas of the game.

However, I feel when we look back at his style we only remember the really good traits and forget the less than average/ ordinary ones. Tim doesn't get that luxury, in fact, it probably goes the other way for him.

Whilst I’m a fan of Tim. I think when he’s asking for over $1,000,000 a season to stay, many people start to really focus on his attributes. Leaving aside the question of if he’s worth it, that necessarily brings sharp focus. We can also remember Huddo based on what we paid to get him and what we paid him, and we can also remember giving up high picks for the likes of Peter Street. Why, because of the trade price. If he was a delisted free agent or rookie we’d be straining our brain to recall if Luke Goetz was selected by us or another club.

Tim is a serious player. I’d like him to stay on a fair contract. There’s an argument to say he could be deployed differently and be more effective. But if he’s given the club the ultimatum to play only first ruck then we have to accept it. Or go in another direction.

But big dollar demands and alleged first ruck ultimatums (is the coach/club using him to maximum effect) are the kind of things that get people really focussed on you.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 06:15 PM
I understand what you're saying BT, and huge demands and apparent inflexibility about playing multiple positions really annoys me.

If you recall I suggested going hard after Grundy, playing Tim where WE wanted him to play, and having insurance for him cracking the sads and going back to WA so he can play in the position he most desires.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 06:18 PM
Anyway, back to selection.

I think we don't change things up too much because much of what we had going on last night worked. I'd not be putting Buzz in for Gardner. I get we threw JOD in however, he's got a couple of years on Buzz and that actually counts with most big men.

If Gardner is OK, no change for mine.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2023, 06:23 PM
I understand what you're saying BT, and huge demands and apparent inflexibility about playing multiple positions really annoys me.

If you recall I suggested going hard after Grundy, playing Tim where WE wanted him to play, and having insurance for him cracking the sads and going back to WA so he can play in the position he most desires.

Now you mention it. That seemed/seems very, very sensible. You said it? :D

He’s not making things easy for the club. Imagine if he left now? Picks and salary cap saving is one thing, but Sweet is out the door and Lobb is it. I’m pretty sure Tim’s manager knows this too. And knows he’s a free agent next year and we’d want to have an answer by trade period this year and might overpay to protect our huge investment.

I guess we sit back and see what happens. Hopefully Tim dominates the rest of season, we make finals, and he shows his true worth under finals pressure.

bornadog
08-07-2023, 06:26 PM
Anyway, back to selection.

I think we don't change things up too much because much of what we had going on last night worked. I'd not be putting Buzz in for Gardner. I get we threw JOD in however, he's got a couple of years on Buzz and that actually counts with most big men.

If Gardner is OK, no change for mine.

What if Gardner is out?

Bulldog Joe
08-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Time for some selection integrity.
Busslinger was good for Footscray and should come in for JOD.
Let O'Donnell put together some consistent form at Footscray for 3 or 4 weeks.
JJ to replace VDM

jeemak
08-07-2023, 07:33 PM
What if Gardner is out?

I'd go with Bruce and Keath should we lose Gardner. As BJ says above if we wanted to swap JOD for a Buzz debut I'd be OK with that, I just don't want him as our second tall defender in his first game.

G-Mo77
08-07-2023, 07:33 PM
Time for some selection integrity.
Busslinger was good for Footscray and should come in for JOD.
Let O'Donnell put together some consistent form at Footscray for 3 or 4 weeks.
JJ to replace VDM

I'm all in on Bus for JOD. I really can't see what JOD actually brings to this team. I didn?t get to see all of last week, lots have talked it up like the 2nd coming but statically it was very little, last night was lost at sea, first run of games similar, his body of work over a stretch is very poor. Bus was quite good yesterday and if we're serious about rewarding form nows the time to get our first pick into the team.

I'd also drop Lobb for Darcy.

jeemak
08-07-2023, 07:35 PM
Now you mention it. That seemed/seems very, very sensible. You said it? :D

My good ideas come around about as regularly as Halley's Comet. So I understand the surprise.

kruder
08-07-2023, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't play either, JOD has something there is no doubt about it but shouldn't be playing AFL.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-07-2023, 01:22 PM
I don't bet but know the odds are formed by people who put their money where their mouth is.
Swans are favoured to beat us.
I'll put a bet.

Mantis
10-07-2023, 12:43 PM
I?m not sure how we can continue with Doc given the strength Sydney have in their medium/ small forwards?. I?ve wanted Cleary in for the bulk of the year, but it seems he?s been forgotten about, which can happen when Bevo gets new toys.

Unless Amartey comes back in then JOD goes out if Gardner plays.

MrMahatma
10-07-2023, 01:02 PM
Doc struggled. McNeil was OK but fluffed his lines when it mattered.

We tend to play blokes who aren't up to it or aren't ready, so why not chuck Cleary (who sounds ready) in and throw Clarke a bone.

JOD should come out.

Danjul
10-07-2023, 01:29 PM
I expected a win against Collingwood. A decent win and I am not happy with the result.

Why did I expect it ? Because the dogs crushed them last year.

What have we lost from 2022 and what have Collingwood gained that made such a turnaround possible?

I still expect a big win against the Swans and in most of the remaining games. There?s just too much talent in the team.

We are in a sweet spot for success. But I am starting to get concerned. Woof is talking up brave losses too often and it is making me wonder if there is something significantly wrong with how we play.

This should be one of our best years, maybe Sydney will help us get it back on track.

Bulldog Joe
10-07-2023, 01:50 PM
I expected a win against Collingwood. A decent win and I am not happy with the result.

Why did I expect it ? Because the dogs crushed them last year.

What have we lost from 2022 and what have Collingwood gained that made such a turnaround possible?

I still expect a big win against the Swans and in most of the remaining games. There?s just too much talent in the team.

We are in a sweet spot for success. But I am starting to get concerned. Woof is talking up brave losses too often and it is making me wonder if there is something significantly wrong with how we play.

This should be one of our best years, maybe Sydney will help us get it back on track.

I am with you on expectation and totally believe the issue is with how we play.

Collingwood game was actually encouraging in that aspect as the forward line functioned better and maybe the improvement is coming.

We let Collingwood run the ball way too much.

Danjul
10-07-2023, 02:13 PM

Collingwood game was actually encouraging in that aspect as the forward line functioned better and maybe the improvement is coming.

I agree. But last year we didn?t.

last year we kicked 6 goals in the first 20 minutes, 5 were within 1-2 minutes of a centre bounce and 1 was from 6 minutes of general play.

From the AFL website:

The Bulldogs won 37 more forward-half groundballs tonight and 40 more contested possessions - both season-highs. They controlled the stoppages, winning 16 more clearances and outscoring the Magpies by 25 points from this source.

Collingwood had no answer to our speed from centre to goal. Why so different this year?

Sedat
10-07-2023, 02:20 PM
Collingwood had no answer to our speed from centre to goal. Why so different this year?
Collingwood are 4-6 goal better team today from what they were mid-last year. We are, at best, on par in the same period. That's no excuse - that's just the reality of the trajectory of both teams since we last played each other. Collingwood has barely lost since then and are so far and away the best team in that block of matches it isn't funny - I know they strictly "haven't won any silverware" but they are clearly miles ahead of the entire field over a 26-odd week sample size.

That is why the result is so sobering for me personally. We have internal claims to be a genuine top 4 team but the best team in it disposed of us with ease (after spotting up a decent head-start) before cruising to the finish line. It shows exactly where we are at today - a middling to pretty good team but nowhere near a great one. I want us to be a great team that is bankable every single week and winning flags. Can we honestly make the move to great in the next couple of months and really contend in 2023? It's possible but unlikely.

Onto this week, Sydney are an ordinary team in 2023 who has beaten up on poor opposition and have been found wanting against the rest. They also have a poor key position defensive unit that has been regularly exposed all season. We should really be wiping the floor with them this week with our midfield weapons and big threats forward of centre.

macca
10-07-2023, 02:23 PM

When the moment called for the pies to execute they did
They took clean possession of the ball, ran like crazy in groups , took marks and kicked goals when the shot was there

We fumbled when the ball had to be picked up in first clean possesion, expected others to get back the ball when it was converging on group of pies and just miss goal shots which needed to be scored.

I dont know where the improvement will come from.How do you train to reduce fumbles ?

Dont get me started on goal kicking.....

Grantysghost
10-07-2023, 02:42 PM
Collingwood are 4-6 goal better team today from what they were mid-last year. We are, at best, on par in the same period. That's no excuse - that's just the reality of the trajectory of both teams since we last played each other. Collingwood has barely lost since then and are so far and away the best team in that block of matches it isn't funny - I know they strictly "haven't won any silverware" but they are clearly miles ahead of the entire field over a 26-odd week sample size.

That is why the result is so sobering for me personally. We have internal claims to be a genuine top 4 team but the best team in it disposed of us with ease (after spotting up a decent head-start) before cruising to the finish line. It shows exactly where we are at today - a middling to pretty good team but nowhere near a great one. I want us to be a great team that is bankable every single week and winning flags. Can we honestly make the move to great in the next couple of months and really contend in 2023? It's possible but unlikely.

Onto this week, Sydney are an ordinary team in 2023 who has beaten up on poor opposition and have been found wanting against the rest. They also have a poor key position defensive unit that has been regularly exposed all season. We should really be wiping the floor with them this week with our midfield weapons and big threats forward of centre.

Swans are up and about. Not sure if Longmire’s adapted his plan after the bye.
I'm concerned about the next two weeks I feel Bevo is still trying to work out how to get around the third man up.
At least he relented on the abomination that was stand back 5 although I doubt he did it willingly.

hujsh
10-07-2023, 02:47 PM
Swans are up and about. Not sure if Longmire’s adapted his plan after the bye.
I'm concerned about the next two weeks I feel Bevo is still trying to work out how to get around the third man up.
At least he relented on the abomination that was stand back 5 although I doubt he did it willingly.

Uhhhhh,

Lost to St.Kilda (in Syd)
Lost to Brisbane
Smashed the Eagles
Drew against Geelong (in Syd)
Lost to Richmond

Not so sure I'd call that up and about. Geelong result is decent but the rest are losses and beating up on the Eagles.

Grantysghost
10-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Uhhhhh,

Lost to St.Kilda (in Syd)
Lost to Brisbane
Smashed the Eagles
Drew against Geelong (in Syd)
Lost to Richmond

Not so sure I'd call that up and about. Geelong result is decent but the rest are losses and beating up on the Eagles.

I forgot about the Tigers game, I'm a week behind.

I watched the Cats game they were good.

Maybe I was thinking at the SCG.

How do you think we will go H?

bornadog
10-07-2023, 03:00 PM
In: Darcy, Bruce (if Gardner is injured), Cleary

Out: Lobb, Gardner, JOD

Why Darcy - on the back of Four goals, 21 disposals, 11 marks, 4 clearances + 3 tackles

https://youtu.be/i8Yk5j9wasM

Grantysghost
10-07-2023, 03:07 PM
In: Darcy, Bruce (if Gardner is injured)

Out: Lobb, Gardner

Why Darcy - on the back of Four goals, 21 disposals, 11 marks, 4 clearances + 3 tackles

https://youtu.be/i8Yk5j9wasM

I agree the Lobb out.

Can I ask why Bruce? Just because no one else?

He's been very ordinary. Feel like he's finished.

bornadog
10-07-2023, 03:36 PM
I agree the Lobb out.

Can I ask why Bruce? Just because no one else?

He's been very ordinary. Feel like he's finished.

I feel like he is finished, but basically, no one else.

Mantis
10-07-2023, 03:51 PM
I feel like he is finished, but basically, no one else.

If Sydney line up like they did against Richmond (3 tall forwards - McLean, McDonald & Franklin) who do you see Keath, Bruce and O'Donnell matching up on?

azabob
10-07-2023, 03:52 PM
If Sydney line up like they did against Richmond (2 tall forwards - McLean & Franklin) who do you see Keath, Bruce and O'Donnell matching up on?

Also Logan McDonald.

Having said that I would be dropping O'Donnell for either JJ or Cleary.

Mantis
10-07-2023, 03:54 PM
Also Logan McDonald.

I edited as I missed him... easy to do as he was awful.

bornadog
10-07-2023, 04:15 PM
Also Logan McDonald.

I edited as I missed him... easy to do as he was awful.

Same - I meant to drop JOD and bring Cleary in. If JJ is fit then need to think about selections.

I will edit post

westbulldog
10-07-2023, 06:52 PM
A Bruce selection in the backline would have Sydney forwards salivating.

Critter
10-07-2023, 11:19 PM
In: Sweet, JJ, Darcy
Out: Lobb, Vandermeer, O'Donnell

Busslinger for Gardner, if injured

GVGjr
10-07-2023, 11:30 PM
With the SCG being a smaller ground could we get by with Darcy providing a couple of chop outs for English and dropping Lobb?

hujsh
10-07-2023, 11:45 PM
With the SCG being a smaller ground could we get by with Darcy providing a couple of chop outs for English and dropping Lobb?

How much are we losing with Lobb's ruckwork? 10 or less hitouts? Surely Darcy's contribution can't be much less than that for whatever small amount of time we don't have English in the ruck. I don't even think Lobb is poor in the ruck but he's not in there long and we're not getting much from him as a forward so I'd be willing to give Darcy a go and let Lobb either have a rest or find touch in the VFL

Mofra
11-07-2023, 09:00 AM
How much are we losing with Lobb's ruckwork? 10 or less hitouts? Surely Darcy's contribution can't be much less than that for whatever small amount of time we don't have English in the ruck. I don't even think Lobb is poor in the ruck but he's not in there long and we're not getting much from him as a forward so I'd be willing to give Darcy a go and let Lobb either have a rest or find touch in the VFL
Lobb isn't 100% fit, which is largely our fault given his ankle issues during pre-season and the timing of his surgery.

I'd actually rest Lobb this week if we think it would help. His TOG% and running is excellent for a big man but if his ankle is hampering him, that advantage is muted. Darcy gets a crack against a defence which is organised, but short. Their second ruck is... McLean? Darcy will have a good 10cm+ on him as that chop-out ruck.

mjp
11-07-2023, 10:00 AM
Lobb isn't 100% fit, which is largely our fault given his ankle issues during pre-season and the timing of his surgery.

There's that. Then there's the part where with Jamarra and Aaron forward, we just don't need another tall in the forward line.

Can someone tell me WHEN having 3x talls up front benefitted us?

Injured or otherwise, I think he's spending half of his life (or more) trying to stay out of the way and I think it's a instruction.

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:28 AM
There's that. Then there's the part where with Jamarra and Aaron forward, we just don't need another tall in the forward line.

Injured or otherwise, I think he's spending half of his life (or more) trying to stay out of the way and I think it's a instruction.

That's an interesting take and you would have to wonder why we would do it by design?
To me part of his problem is that he keeps leading behind Marra and Naughton though and not into a more open positions that are available.
He was the number 1 forward target at Fremantle and now is the number 3 or 4 with us so perhaps accepting that he was always more of a structure player than someone who could kick 1.5 goals a game is what we should be accepting.

We should also remember that we seemed to have wanted to play 4 key forwards in the early part of the year.

Does the fact that Weightman also play as a marking forward add to the congestion?

bornadog
11-07-2023, 10:42 AM
That's an interesting take and you would have to wonder why we would do it by design?
To me part of his problem is that he keeps leading behind Marra and Naughton though and not into a more open positions that are available.
He was the number 1 forward target at Fremantle and now is the number 3 or 4 with us so perhaps accepting that he was always more of a structure player than someone who could kick 1.5 goals a game is what we should be accepting.

We should also remember that we seemed to have wanted to play 4 key forwards in the early part of the year.

Does the fact that Weightman also play as a marking forward add to the congestion?

Lobb came in because we needed a second ruck. All supporters were very critical of Bevo playing Dunks, Hannan, Bruce, Bont etc as the second ruck to support Tim. Sweet is a pure tap ruck and useless for the rest of the game. He is the same in the VFL and that wasmn't working either.

Lobb doesn't need to kick many goals each week, he is there in the forward line to help take the focus off JUH and Naughton, however, I don't think we are using Lobb the best way. I would like to see him have a larger % in the ruck, but also he also needs to do more around the ground when rucking, because it ain't happening.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2023, 10:43 AM

The forward line was not the problem last week (although conversion certainly needed to be better)

They seem to have gelled (finally) in the last 2 games. Jamarra and Naughton plus the resting ruck seems OK to me.

Now the choice is Lobb or Darcy when/if Darcy gets some continuity.

Sedat
11-07-2023, 10:52 AM
A Bruce selection in the backline would have Sydney forwards salivating.
Wouldn't our key forwards be salivating at the prospect of lining up against a bit of a spud in Melican, an underdone Tom McCartin and a short-arse Dane Rampe who has been well off the pace from his usual level all season?

If our mids dominate (and Sydney's midfield group as a collective have been poor all season against the decent teams), it shouldn't get into Sydney's F50 enough for them to mortally damage us on the scoreboard.

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 10:58 AM
Lobb came in because we needed a second ruck. All supporters were very critical of Bevo playing Dunks, Hannan, Bruce, Bont etc as the second ruck to support Tim. Sweet is a pure tap ruck and useless for the rest of the game. He is the same in the VFL and that wasmn't working either.

Lobb doesn't need to kick many goals each week, he is there in the forward line to help take the focus off JUH and Naughton, however, I don't think we are using Lobb the best way. I would like to see him have a larger % in the ruck, but also he also needs to do more around the ground when rucking, because it ain't happening.

Playing Dunkley, Khamis and Hannan etc as the 2nd ruck was just silly and it didn't give us much.
Bruce was a reasonable but far from ideal option. I know you've been a big fan of his ability to crash packs.

If I'm reading this correctly we chased the number 1 key forward at Freo so that could provide a 5 minute chop outs for English?
It's certainly not what we said after we recruited him.

There were plenty of other part time ruck options we could have added if we wanted someone to sacrifice their games.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Bruce was a reasonable but far from ideal option. I know you've been a big fan of his ability to crash packs.

Not true - I mentioned that once and poster Stevo keeps trying to take the piss which I don't find amusing.

If I'm reading this correctly we chased the number 1 key forward at Freo so that could provide a 5 minute chop outs for English?

There were plenty of other part time ruck options we could have added if we wanted someone to sacrifice their games.

Everything I read, except what Power said, was Lobb came in as a second ruck/Fwd. It shouldn't be for 5 minutes.

westbulldog
11-07-2023, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't our key forwards be salivating at the prospect of lining up against a bit of a spud in Melican, an underdone Tom McCartin and a short-arse Dane Rampe who has been well off the pace from his usual level all season?

If our mids dominate (and Sydney's midfield group as a collective have been poor all season against the decent teams), it shouldn't get into Sydney's F50 enough for them to mortally damage us on the scoreboard.

I didn't mention Sydney backs at all :) Whilst you may be right I don't think Bruce is up to any role on the backline. When we tried him there he was pathetic.

Sedat
11-07-2023, 11:55 AM
I didn't mention Sydney backs at all :) Whilst you may be right I don't think Bruce is up to any role on the backline. When we tried him there he was pathetic.
If our mids dominate (as they should) and we control the territory battle, I could live with Sedat Sir down back (so long as he isn't getting out-marked by Chad Morrison in the goal square)

mjp
11-07-2023, 12:18 PM
The forward line was not the problem last week (although conversion certainly needed to be better)

I don't agree completely.

We were +6 for inside 50's yet most people seem to think we were lucky to get within 2-goals.

Naughton and Weightman kicked 4-each. So they played well.
Jamarra was our consensus 'best' player - he actually wasn't btw but no argument that on balance he played well.

We are getting it in. Our balance still isn't right.

Mofra
11-07-2023, 12:28 PM

I don't have an issue with our talls splitting the defenders.
If we go back 12-18 months ago, we had Naughton & Marra flying for the same ball multiple times per game. I haven't seen that this year.

Mofra
11-07-2023, 12:29 PM
If our mids dominate (as they should) and we control the territory battle, I could live with Sedat Sir down back (so long as he isn't getting out-marked by Chad Morrison in the goal square)
Username checks out

Mofra
11-07-2023, 12:29 PM
Playing Dunkley, Khamis and Hannan etc as the 2nd ruck was just silly and it didn't give us much.

We did chase others. And missed out. Soldo the obvious one.

Mantis
11-07-2023, 12:30 PM
I don't agree completely.

We were +6 for inside 50's yet most people seem to think we were lucky to get within 2-goals.

Naughton and Weightman kicked 4-each. So they played well.
Jamarra was our consensus 'best' player - he actually wasn't btw but no argument that on balance he played well.

We are getting it in. Our balance still isn't right.

What should the forward-line look like?

Last week it was:

F: Cody, Naughts, JUH
HF: Macrae, Lobb, West

Int: McNeil, Baz

What changes?

Danjul
11-07-2023, 12:34 PM

l am sorry but I have found my blood pressure going up when I read this flattering review of what I see as the biggest albatross in recent footy history.

The abysmal ruck philosophy has cost the team plenty, both in terms of wins and club support in the wider community. While it was a justifiable target for experimentation at the beginning the inflexible application of a failed idea is ongoing and a health hazard for many rusted on supporters.

Lobb , hopefully, will make the game plan, that supposedly handed down on stone tablets, finally workable.

azabob
11-07-2023, 12:40 PM
Hmmm; just watched Bevo's press conference. Darcy for Lobb could well be on...

JJ still a couple of weeks away

Gardy still a chance to play

bornadog
11-07-2023, 01:00 PM

Wasn't happy about Slobbo's article on bailey Smith

Grantysghost
11-07-2023, 01:05 PM

Yes I did too

Bailey has been unwell was something I took out of it.

He did kind of praise Lobb as a role player "he's become a role player".

I feel Lobb will stay and Darcy will only come in if Gardner doesn't get up.

mjp
11-07-2023, 02:08 PM
What should the forward-line look like?

Last week it was:

F: Cody, Naughts, JUH
HF: Macrae, Lobb, West

Int: McNeil, Baz

What changes?

I think there should be 2x talls 80+ % of the time. Jamarra and Naughton primarily with rest given via English and Lobb.

- So Lobb starts off and goes forward (for JUH), then Ruck (for English) who rests...when JUH goes back on. English then goes forward for Naughton (who rests) then ruck...Lobb holds forward for maybe 2-3 mins then slides off...

Game-time: 3x roles, 4x rotators so nominally they will get 75%...reality, we want Naughton at 85% which means Lobb will drop to around 65% game time...fine.

- Small Forwards. It really is Cody, West and McNeill.
Pretty simple. 2x roles on field, one rotator. Obviously about 65% each...Try and get Weightman more but he seems to blow up pretty quickly.

- We still have two spots - high forwards/rotating mids.
We battle to fill these spots - Macrae has been playing one up at the stoppage as a genuine 5th and I guess this stays with Smith tending to slide in behind him/fill the gap for him when he's off. We really need someone else in this rotation and it probably has got to be Bont...but when he's there he should play DEEP. Apart from the whole missed goals thing, he's dangerous.

In terms of personnel, I really don't think it's about that right now. It's about role and fit...it's why I battle with players like Hannan in the side alongside the 3 other talls...we are too big up there...if Garcia was available, well, at least he tackles and chases and makes a mess of oppo plans. I guess Clarke is supposed to do all that as well...IDEALLY, we would have a mid who could genuinely play as a forward (Petracca can, Taranto can, Martin can) as that would enable us to extend a rotation but we just don't so no point crying over what we don't have....it just is what it is.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2023, 02:25 PM
Yes I did too

Bailey has been unwell was something I took out of it.

He did kind of praise Lobb as a role player "he's become a role player".

I feel Lobb will stay and Darcy will only come in if Gardner doesn't get up.

I listened and I am not sure it was praise, more trying to be as nice as possible about him. He mentioned a lack of influence. I think Darcy will get a game ahead of Lobb this week actually.

Maybe we see Bad as a sub or a week off.

lemmon
11-07-2023, 02:52 PM
I think there should be 2x talls 80+ % of the time. Jamarra and Naughton primarily with rest given via English and Lobb.

- So Lobb starts off and goes forward (for JUH), then Ruck (for English) who rests...when JUH goes back on. English then goes forward for Naughton (who rests) then ruck...Lobb holds forward for maybe 2-3 mins then slides off...

Game-time: 3x roles, 4x rotators so nominally they will get 75%...reality, we want Naughton at 85% which means Lobb will drop to around 65% game time...fine.

Would we lose much only playing Marra and Naughton with English, and having Naughton take 5 minutes in the ruck each quarter? English is still spending more than 80% of time on ground with Lobb in the side anyway. Naughton's a competitor, agile and likes to throw himself around. I think he could relish getting in there and bashing and crashing for a few minutes each quarter. It also means a Hannan/Buku fits more easily into our front half, or we can squeeze another pressure small into the forward line (potentially Laith with JJ and Richards returning).

English could spend that time off the ground and Bont can play as the second tall with Marra, where I think he may end up finishing his career anyway.

It would leave us short if English went down, but we don't get much from our subs anyway, so I wouldn't mind trialing Lobb in that slot.

mjp
11-07-2023, 03:00 PM
Would we lose much only playing Marra and Naughton with English, and having Naughton take 5 minutes in the ruck each quarter? English is still spending more than 80% of time on ground with Lobb in the side anyway. Naughton's a competitor, agile and likes to throw himself around. I think he could relish getting in there and bashing and crashing for a few minutes each quarter. It also means a Hannan/Buku fits more easily into our front half, or we can squeeze another pressure small into the forward line (potentially Laith with JJ and Richards returning).

English could spend that time off the ground and Bont can play as the second tall with Marra, where I think he may end up finishing his career anyway.

It would leave us short if English went down, but we don't get much from our subs anyway, so I wouldn't mind trialing Lobb in that slot.

That's sort of what I implied was happening at Brisbane where they regularly select their version of Lobb (Fort) as the sub.

I don't have an issue with what you propose but would prob prefer we sent Gardner to the ruck than Naughton under the whole "You don't use a rolls to plough a field" role.

I think we would lose absolutely NOTHING by doing this.

The bulldog tragician
11-07-2023, 03:24 PM
I listened and I am not sure it was praise, more trying to be as nice as possible about him. He mentioned a lack of influence. I think Darcy will get a game ahead of Lobb this week actually.

Maybe we see Bad as a sub or a week off.

Gee I know BAD posts a lot but is he really the answer in our team?

mjp
11-07-2023, 03:33 PM

That's the sort of left field thinking that might just appeal to Bevo!
:-)

Rocco Jones
11-07-2023, 03:37 PM

Ha! Baz.

Sedat
11-07-2023, 04:09 PM
He's always been a stats man at heart ;)

EasternWest
11-07-2023, 04:16 PM

Bad to ruck. It's the Bevo way.

bornadog
11-07-2023, 04:34 PM
Bad to ruck. It's the Bevo way.

I am little short for that role. :D

GVGjr
11-07-2023, 05:02 PM

In 2021 when JUH was just starting to show something I seem to recall Bruce, Naughton and JUH starting to work as 3 effective forwards. 2 years later with JUH taking a huge step forward I think we can now survive with 2 key forwards but we then have to accept that Darcy is a defender or more of an impact off the bench player.
Lobb could be a reasonable bench player for us spending more time in the ruck.

jazzadogs
11-07-2023, 06:06 PM

More of a 180cm KPD?

EasternWest
11-07-2023, 06:54 PM

When has that mattered?

bornadog
11-07-2023, 09:28 PM
When has that mattered?

My leap would do it :D

Go_Dogs
11-07-2023, 09:38 PM
IDEALLY, we would have a mid who could genuinely play as a forward (Petracca can, Taranto can, Martin can) as that would enable us to extend a rotation but we just don't so no point crying over what we don't have....it just is what it is.

There?s a bloke called the Bont. Goes ok up front.

I don?t actually mind 3 talls in theory, our problem is we haven?t created the right roles for them so we often end up kicking into a packed forward line where they compete with each other.

Last week Marra led up and high which gave us a new look. His ball use from half back/centre was good too.

Naughton has been going ?ok?. His best game for the year on the weekend.

Lobb hasn?t been going ok but we?re trying to kick it on his head for pack marks. Stupid. He does his best work leading at the ball carrier into space based on my small sample of him doing well at Freo.

I actually don?t think we are top heavy and to beat / nullify some of the key defenders the better sides have, going with 3 talls is a good strategy in my book.

We just need to get the roles right and our ball use right so our forward patterns are predictable for our midfielders (other than kick long) and we play to our forwards strengths a bit more.

mjp
11-07-2023, 10:29 PM
There?s a bloke called the Bont. Goes ok up front.

You know I said that in the same post you quoted right??

- We still have two spots - high forwards/rotating mids.
We battle to fill these spots - Macrae has been playing one up at the stoppage as a genuine 5th and I guess this stays with Smith tending to slide in behind him/fill the gap for him when he's off. We really need someone else in this rotation and it probably has got to be Bont...but when he's there he should play DEEP. Apart from the whole missed goals thing, he's dangerous.

Go_Dogs
11-07-2023, 10:37 PM
You know I said that in the same post you quoted right??

This is what happens when I try to read and post after a long day and sleepless nights. Carry on.

FrediKanoute
11-07-2023, 11:32 PM

This pretty much sums it up. Would JUH be having the break out season he is without Lobb?

azabob
12-07-2023, 09:28 AM
This pretty much sums it up. Would JUH be having the break out season he is without Lobb?

Yes. JUH is getting the first or second defender and still doing what he is doing.

azabob
12-07-2023, 10:06 AM
Bailey Smith officially ruled out with illness.

hujsh
12-07-2023, 10:14 AM
Let the further speculation... COMMENCE!

bornadog
12-07-2023, 10:17 AM
Bailey Smith officially ruled out with illness.

Does Garcia come in to replace him?

Mantis
12-07-2023, 10:21 AM
Does Garcia come in to replace him?

Would think he needs at least one more game before he comes in as he missed lots of footy & conditioning… would assume Baker comes in, but if it’s choice between an underdone Garcia or McComb then it’s a different situation.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 10:27 AM
Would think he needs at least one more game before he comes in as he missed lots of footy & conditioning… would assume Baker comes in, but if it’s choice between an underdone Garcia or McComb then it’s a different situation.

Please not McComb.

hujsh
12-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Is Hannan injured? I'd almost expect him in if fit but looks like he didn't play at any level last week

Mofra
12-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Is Hannan injured? I'd almost expect him in if fit but looks like he didn't play at any level last week
I'd rather Baker get another shot. He wasn't playing terribly when he was dropped, and I'm pretty sure he's played HF/pressure player before.

hujsh
12-07-2023, 11:14 AM
I'd rather Baker get another shot. He wasn't playing terribly when he was dropped, and I'm pretty sure he's played HF/pressure player before.

I have no issue with Baker and no particular desire to see Hannan in. Just seems who we'd pick for the role to me

Rocco Jones
12-07-2023, 11:22 AM
In: Darcy, Cleary, Scott (into 22)
Out: Lobb, Baz, McNeil (sub)

I'd drop Doc but it isn't happening.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 11:30 AM
In: Darcy, Cleary, Scott (into 22)
Out: Lobb, Baz, McNeil (sub)

I'd drop Doc but it isn't happening.

Good ins and outs.

Doc is getting on but we need his experience down back. Should never have been on Elliot as he can't jump as high as he does.

Axe Man
12-07-2023, 11:31 AM

He was listed as injured in the omissions from the AFL team last round but no mention of him in the injury report so who knows?

Rocco Jones
12-07-2023, 11:39 AM
Good ins and outs.

Doc is getting on but we need his experience down back. Should never have been on Elliot as he can't jump as high as he does.

I have a lot of respect for Doc and I am big on onfield coaches but he is small, can't jump and pretty slow now. Who does he play on week to week?

bornadog
12-07-2023, 11:40 AM
I have a lot of respect for Doc and I am big on onfield coaches but he is small, can't jump and pretty slow now. Who does he play on week to week?

Who replaces him?

G-Mo77
12-07-2023, 11:41 AM
Please not McComb.

You just know that card is in the hand waiting to be drawn. :D

Rocco Jones
12-07-2023, 12:03 PM
Who replaces him?

Cleary.

I think Bevo is also (clearly correctly) concerned with how disrupted our backline has been with injury. Doc the only one who has consistently played AFL this season.

Sedat
12-07-2023, 12:07 PM
Doc is close to the finish line but Papley is a pretty good match-up for him (especially Papley out of form), and we don't have anybody else available who could do the job until JJ gets back. I'm backing him in to get the job done this week, but it should be horses for courses for the rest of the season.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2023, 12:08 PM
Doc is close to the finish line but Papley is a pretty good match-up for him (especially Papley out of form), and we don't have anybody else available who could do the job until JJ gets back. I'm backing him in to get the job done this week, but it should be horses for courses for the rest of the season.

Yep, it's actually a good week for Doc. Smaller ground too. Ed makes it easier for everyone else too.

azabob
12-07-2023, 12:08 PM
Jeemak mentioned this a number of weeks back but does Ed Richards also need to start taking responsibility for both locking down on a forward and creating run from the back half?

Critter
12-07-2023, 01:01 PM
Last week JOD had 2 kicks and 3 handballs. The week before he had 4 kicks and 4 handballs. Doesn't work for me. If Cleary can't get a game this week, maybe he should start looking elsewhere.

Darcy should play this week, if only to stand the goal line. Judging from the Collingwood game, that would be worth at least one goal. If he can cover both ends of the ground, then 2 goals.

The Doctor
12-07-2023, 01:15 PM
Stevo running with Darcy to play

bornadog
12-07-2023, 01:16 PM

Lobb dropped?

azabob
12-07-2023, 01:24 PM

azabob was running with this on the weekend.

G-Mo77
12-07-2023, 03:26 PM
Darcy to defence or forward?

mjp
12-07-2023, 03:31 PM
Darcy to defence or forward?

Well, Gardner's in doubt, so back.
Wait.
He kicked 4-goals last week (inc 3 in the last 3 minutes) and Lobb's not playing well...so forward.
Wait.
Who will second ruck if Lobb doesn't play 'cos Darcy vs Hickey seems like a foolish plan...

I genuinely have no idea but if we go in with Keath, Naughton, Darcy, Jamarra, Lobb and English and somehow manage to win I will be amazed.

G-Mo77
12-07-2023, 03:35 PM
Wait Lobb is not playing. I must have missed that. Gardner will play IMO

mjp
12-07-2023, 03:44 PM
Wait Lobb is not playing. I must have missed that. Gardner will play IMO

I have no idea on Lobb.

But if Darcy comes in, someone has to go out. To me that someone would have to be either Gardner (hobbling around last week) or Lobb (out of form).

Mantis
12-07-2023, 03:56 PM
Saw on the WB socials that JOD is flying up with the team to Sydney so can only assume he's playing.

G-Mo77
12-07-2023, 04:00 PM
Saw on the WB socials that JOD is flying up with the team to Sydney so can only assume he's playing.

Aren't the VFL team up there as well? Wouldn't they all fly up there?

bornadog
12-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Aren't the VFL team up there as well? Wouldn't they all fly up there?

Correct

Mofra
12-07-2023, 04:22 PM
I have no idea on Lobb.

But if Darcy comes in, someone has to go out. To me that someone would have to be either Gardner (hobbling around last week) or Lobb (out of form).
Or O'Donnell?

I've given up trying to predict who does what.

For all I know we go in with Lobb & Darcy as the tallest wing duo in competition history, play Marra & Naughts high and Bont goes to deep forward and kicks 6

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 04:28 PM
JOD will stay, not sure why you'd drop him.

Just knows how to play.

Counting his possessions is a little lame.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 04:32 PM

Just knows how to play.

Pressure acts?

LifeLongBulldog
12-07-2023, 04:47 PM
At the open training in Sydney, no sign of Lobb. But Buku, Garcia, Darcy and bad news McComb are training. It looks like Gardner and Caleb are taking it is easy at training, just walking and kicking.

mjp
12-07-2023, 04:53 PM
For all I know we go in with Lobb & Darcy as the tallest wing duo in competition history, play Marra & Naughts high and Bont goes to deep forward and kicks 6

I'm with you.

For everything I love about Bevo, man oh man I hate the selection stuff...I'm sure it always seems obvious to him and the rest of the MC but whenever there is a change it seems to be from left field.

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 05:00 PM
Pressure acts?

Haha, the without the ball stats are very important.

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 05:01 PM
At the open training in Sydney, no sign of Lobb. But Buku, Garcia, Darcy and bad news McComb are training. It looks like Gardner and Caleb are taking it is easy at training, just walking and kicking.

Nice thanks LLB.

Rocket Science
12-07-2023, 05:32 PM

'Bad News McComb' sounds like the ultimate 90s era WWF heel who eats your boos for breakfast and maybe there's something in that for Robbie.

azabob
12-07-2023, 06:02 PM
Channel 7 running with Darcy IN and Lobb OUT.

Mofra
12-07-2023, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure I'd select McComb but I'm not comfortable with bagging the guy. He seems to play his heart out

mjp
12-07-2023, 06:05 PM
I'm not sure I'd select McComb but I'm not comfortable with bagging the guy. He seems to play his heart out

Wish I could like this twice. The sort of player we should celebrate.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 06:17 PM

Turnover King. Same in VFL last week. But yes gives it his all

Mofra
12-07-2023, 06:25 PM
Turnover King. Same in VFL last week. But yes gives it his all
Given the number of times he's been knocked back but still worked his arse off to get himself anywhere near an AFL list, he deserves at least a bit of respect for that. Some of the comments about him on social media are horrible and sadly some of that comes from Bulldog 'supporters'.

kruder
12-07-2023, 07:18 PM
Darcy definitely in Sydney

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:20 PM
Round 18 – Sydney v Western Bulldogs
Thursday 13 July, 7.20pm AEST
SCG

B: Taylor Duryea, Ryan Gardner, James O’Donnell
HB: Bailey Dale, Alex Keath, Ed Richards
C: Caleb Poulter, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Jack Macrae, Aaron Naughton, Adam Treloar
F: Cody Weightman, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Sam Darcy
R: Tim English, Caleb Daniel, Tom Liberatore
Int: Laith Vandermeer, Lachlan McNeil, Rhylee West, Anthony Scott
Sub: Riley Garcia
Emerg: Buku Khamis, Robbie McComb, Jordon Sweet

IN: S. Darcy, A. Scott
OUT: B. Smith (illness), R. Lobb (omitted)

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:21 PM

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 07:25 PM
Not knocking the player but we are very committed to the JOD experiment.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 07:25 PM

Lobb had to be dropped.

Gardner in is a surprise, hopefully he is over his injury

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:29 PM

It’s now a jazz musical act - The JOD experience

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:31 PM
Swans have dropped Hickey.
McLean and Armty to ruck by the looks of it.

In: J.Amartey, Co.Warner, S.Wicks
Out: T.Hickey (omitted), J.Lloyd (concussion), A.Sheldrick (ankle), A.Francis (sub)

G-Mo77
12-07-2023, 07:31 PM
Wow. Lobb dropped. Didn't think they would do that.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-07-2023, 07:41 PM

Right from the outset the club has picked him to stick; clear message.
We must expect him to develop quickly with gametime, ready for finals..
Darcy for Lobb is exciting.

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Lobb had to be dropped.

Gardner in is a surprise, hopefully he is over his injury

Ironically it wasn't his worse game but overdue to be omitted.
Why do you think we are sticking with JOD? Is it a lack of suitable tall defenders?

Dry Rot
12-07-2023, 07:52 PM
Swans have dropped Hickey.

Swans must really rate our ruck division.

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 07:53 PM
Right from the outset the club has picked him to stick; clear message.
We must expect him to develop quickly with gametime, ready for finals..
Darcy for Lobb is exciting.

In terms of Lobb being dropped and Darcy coming in it's worked our way that the Swans have also dropped Hickey.
On paper Lobb and English could have had a field day with McLean and Amartey but English and Darcy will be fine.

azabob
12-07-2023, 07:54 PM

You going DR?

kruder
12-07-2023, 08:03 PM

It says a lot about Josh Bruce's form unfortunately.

Critter
12-07-2023, 08:15 PM

Just knows how to play.

I suppose possessions are used as a metric in performance appraisal as they provide a level of objectivity. Otherwise it becomes very subjective... opinion. Like "Just knows how to play." You could add tackles to the assessment, but given his tackle count was zero, that doesn't help much. "Know's how to play" isn't particularly useful either. The end result of his efforts was to have minimal impact upon the game, as was evidenced by him being subbed off at three quarter time. He looked struggling for pace when the game was reduced to sheer fundamentals for our backs in the furnace of the third quarter. I suspect experience mattered here.

I too think he has potential, but fail to see evidence of the benefit of continually playing him in the AFL rather than allowing him to develop in the VFL.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 08:19 PM
Ironically it wasn't his worse game but overdue to be omitted.
Why do you think we are sticking with JOD? Is it a lack of suitable tall defenders?

I think we are trying to fast track him, otherwise I don't get why he keeps getting a game.

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 08:20 PM
It says a lot about Josh Bruce's form unfortunately.

It might also be that TOB is injured.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 08:23 PM
It might also be that TOB is injured.

Bruce's form in the VFL hasn't been great, so I understand why he isn't in.

whythelongface
12-07-2023, 08:24 PM

Hickey has been ordinary this year. Like Lobb needs a spell

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 08:29 PM
I think we are trying to fast track him, otherwise I don't get why he keeps getting a game.

Perhaps but we really can't afford slip ups given our ladder position and percentage.
Given his lack of experience the VFL should be good enough to develop him.

bornadog
12-07-2023, 08:32 PM
No Buddy this week again

GVGjr
12-07-2023, 08:34 PM
No Buddy this week again

Franklin?

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-07-2023, 08:40 PM
We could do a lot worse that alternate Darcy at CHB and English. Since the loss of Liam Jones we have struggled with quality key
defenders. Darcy played a lot of his junior football as a key defender and might just be the answer for the future.
The loss of Bailey Smith might see West played more in the midfield.

azabob
12-07-2023, 08:43 PM
No Buddy this week again

He played last week BAD. He is playing

bornadog
12-07-2023, 08:49 PM
Franklin?

He played last week BAD. He is playing

I went by Stevo's tweet, but apparently was an error.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F00qt4NagAAnXsh?format=jpg&name=large

Raels_d
12-07-2023, 08:56 PM
The loss of Bailey Smith might see West played more in the midfield.[/QUOTE]

I?d be happy to see this

Dry Rot
12-07-2023, 09:07 PM
You going DR?

Unfortunately I cannot. I am in the middle of moving house very bad timing.

azabob
12-07-2023, 09:25 PM
I went by Stevo's tweet, but apparently was an error.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F00qt4NagAAnXsh?format=jpg&name=large

Yeah, Errol G named twice, Chad Warner named also not playing

westbulldog
12-07-2023, 10:35 PM

Hickey is a worse kick for goal than McNeill if that is possible.

bulldogtragic
12-07-2023, 10:43 PM

I don’t believe you! :D

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 11:12 PM
That was the worst miss ever!

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 11:25 PM
The loss of Bailey Smith might see West played more in the midfield.

Like your thoughts Raels but Bailey wasn't really playing any midfield time.
He is playing half forward then pushing up to be the +1 at the contest.
West could be an inside beast although if I think about the yard stick for those roles : Dangerfield, Martin, Petracca, DeGoey he doesn't really have the body type to do it. Setting the bar high though!

We really need someone like that.

soupman
12-07-2023, 11:32 PM
Second game I get to go to since 2019 (along with the GWS game where Weightman did his elbow). Not sure I love the side but pretty excited to get to see all of improved JUH, Darcy and the enigma that is JOD play in the flesh.

Grantysghost
12-07-2023, 11:35 PM
Second game I get to go to since 2019 (along with the GWS game where Weightman did his elbow). Not sure I love the side but pretty excited to get to see all of improved JUH, Darcy and the enigma that is JOD play in the flesh.

Enjoy! I was trying to work out how many games I've been to the other day and the consensus was around 600... Only one at the SCG.

And it was the second weirdest game ever behind the prelim v gws.

Think it was the game where Cooney did his knee. Maybe 2008...?

The crowd wasn't interested at all.... Then when there was a goal they all stopped reading their books and knitting and erupted with clappers and scarves and all sorts....

Melbourne and Sydney are 800ks apart... Might as be on another planet.

Edit :2010 and a hammy.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/other-sports/news/article/1w45j6ca3vzds1jd0m7c1su9ao

jeemak
13-07-2023, 02:18 AM
Wasn't 2010 a great year.

If you want to remember how vile the media can be then you only need to look back to 2010. What's happening now is nothing compared to it......

MrMahatma
13-07-2023, 09:23 AM
Credit to the MC for dropping Lobb and rewarding Darcy’s VFL performance.

I like the squad.

D Mitchell
13-07-2023, 10:03 AM
O'Donnell, Poulter and Darcy in the named team and the interchange of 4 in-and-outs in a must-win game. That's a pretty inexperienced team.

bornadog
13-07-2023, 10:08 AM
O'Donnell, Poulter and Darcy in the named team and the interchange of 4 in-and-outs in a must-win game. That's a pretty inexperienced team.

7 with less than 50 games

GVGjr
13-07-2023, 10:27 AM

Yes it is but it's clearly by design and it's sort of standard to have 2 or 3 youngsters in.

Mofra
13-07-2023, 10:49 AM
I didn't mind Poulter's have last week. Tall rangy winger who gets depth on his kicks. I'm comfortable with staying him on field.

mjp
13-07-2023, 10:50 AM
It?s now a jazz musical act - The JOD experience
A Jazz band - sorry, Jazz Experience - implies LONG and EXTENDED solo-ing....you would surely need the ball to do that.

I would have thought if "The JOD Experience" was a band it would be a Punk band.

Short bursts of 'something' that sounds a lot like the previous song.

mjp
13-07-2023, 10:51 AM
Amartey would be an All-Australian staple if he could play us every week.

Bulldog Joe
13-07-2023, 11:34 AM

He certainly always plays well against us.

Axe Man
13-07-2023, 11:41 AM

He's kicked 3 goals in 3 games against us. :confused:

Mantis
13-07-2023, 11:48 AM

He does?

2021 - 6 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal - 19 point win
2022 - (1) - 10 disposals, 0 marks, 0 goals - 11 point loss & (2) 8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals - 53 point win

Pretty underwhelming performances by my reckoning.

D Mitchell
13-07-2023, 12:38 PM
I've just read that Rhylee West is 6 foot. If his Torso to Leg length ratio was The Golden Ratio (1:1.618), he'd be the tallest man in Victoria.

Mantis
13-07-2023, 12:47 PM
Enjoy! I was trying to work out how many games I've been to the other day and the consensus was around 600... Only one at the SCG.

And it was the second weirdest game ever behind the prelim v gws.

Think it was the game where Cooney did his knee. Maybe 2008...?

The crowd wasn't interested at all.... Then when there was a goal they all stopped reading their books and knitting and erupted with clappers and scarves and all sorts....

Melbourne and Sydney are 800ks apart... Might as be on another planet.

Edit :2010 and a hammy.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/other-sports/news/article/1w45j6ca3vzds1jd0m7c1su9ao

I was at that game too, was on my way to Fiji and stopped off in Sydney to take in this game ... from memory Johnno & Morris were also injured in that game and after a bright start we got touched up.

To just run with the fact that ordinary players have days out against us Trent Dennis-Lane (whoever the **** he is) kicked 4.

Bulldog Joe
13-07-2023, 06:25 PM
He does?

2021 - 6 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal - 19 point win
2022 - (1) - 10 disposals, 0 marks, 0 goals - 11 point loss & (2) 8 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals - 53 point win

Pretty underwhelming performances by my reckoning.

Stats will tell you that but he certainly had an impact in the games against us.
I think he might have been injured during the early game in 2022

Mofra
13-07-2023, 06:50 PM
Stats will tell you that but he certainly had an impact in the games against us.
I think he might have been injured during the early game in 2022
I think last year he was pretty lively against us, got his hands to a few but couldn't hold them. Like early Marra.

Both teams' tall defensive stocks have been decimated but I'd back our forwards against theirs right now

HOSE B ROMERO
13-07-2023, 07:15 PM
I was at that game too, was on my way to Fiji and stopped off in Sydney to take in this game ... from memory Johnno & Morris were also injured in that game and after a bright start we got touched up.

To just run with the fact that ordinary players have days out against us Trent Dennis-Lane (whoever the **** he is) kicked 4.

Dennis-Lane! He was immortalized by The Coodabeens to the tune of 'Robin Hood'. Haven't heard his name since that game i reckon...