PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 21 v Richmond

Scraggers
19-05-2023, 05:57 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round Twenty match against GWS for our Round Twenty-One match against Richmond at Marvel on Friday night.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
28-07-2023, 10:39 AM
Bump

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 05:41 PM
In

Seat 5A Titanic Deckchair

Out

Seat 5B Titanic Deckchair

G-Mo77
29-07-2023, 05:42 PM
It's time for Buss

Rocket Science
29-07-2023, 06:46 PM
It's time for Buss

I mean you can't help injuries but this is a devastating indictment on a team that's up to it's neck in a scrap to eke out a finals berth.

lemmon
29-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Haven't thought about it a heap yet, but my first thoughts are:

Out - Bruce, Keath, Laith
In - L Jones, Richards, West (into the 22), Baker in as sub

If L. Jones is close to healthy, roll the dice and get him in. Otherwise, I think O'Donnell has to play

Richmond play a small forward line, so we shouldn't need the three key backs.

G-Mo77
29-07-2023, 07:27 PM
I mean you can't help injuries but this is a devastating indictment on a team that's up to it's neck in a scrap to eke out a finals berth.

I see us like the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA. They were around the mark this season to make the playoffs but threw the towel in just before the end of season because they were never a shot and wanted a higher pick. I wouldn't be uncomfortable if we did the same.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2023, 08:40 PM
Keath and Bruce definitely out.

Probably means JOD in, but I’d probably only go one tall defender replacement and add Baker in. Williams back to defence, or maybe Poulter. I really have no idea on match ups. Haven’t watched much tiger

bornadog
29-07-2023, 08:45 PM
Out Keath and Bruce

In: Richards and Jones if ready, or JOD

Bumper Bulldogs
29-07-2023, 09:31 PM
Out, Bruce, Keith, VDM, Poulter, Williams as Sub

In, Jones, Richards, O’Donald, McNeil, West

The Bulldogs Bite
29-07-2023, 09:52 PM
Out, Bruce, Keith, VDM, Poulter, Williams as Sub

In, Jones, Richards, O’Donald, McNeil, West

Surely not with McNeil - nowhere near the level and even when he does get it, his execution is horrendous.

I'd rather persist with West or go with Arty. Poulter shouldn't be dropped off one mediocre performance either.

Out - Bruce, Keath, VDM
In - Jones, Richards, Baker

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 10:04 PM
Surely not with McNeil - nowhere near the level and even when he does get it, his execution is horrendous.

I'd rather persist with West or go with Arty. Poulter shouldn't be dropped off one mediocre performance either.

Out - Bruce, Keath, VDM
In - Jones, Richards, Baker

If McNeil plays we should be investigated for tanking. :D

JanLorMill
29-07-2023, 10:27 PM
If McNeil plays we should be investigated for tanking. :D
Pick your poison really. We play VDM and Gardner is our no1 defender. Add McComb?

bulldogtragic
29-07-2023, 10:33 PM
Pick your poison really. We play VDM and Gardner is our no1 defender. Add McComb?

I’d rather have Arty or Clarke personally long, long before McNeil.

westbulldog
29-07-2023, 11:40 PM
Out Keath, Bruce, Vandermeer, Duryea
in Busslinger or L Jones, Richards, Garcia , A Jones

FrediKanoute
30-07-2023, 10:56 AM
IN: guys who give a sh*t and can play 4 quarters of football

OUT: those who don't

GVGjr
30-07-2023, 11:13 AM

Fredi, there are only a couple of words on the swear filter. That one isn't a problem.

Mantis
30-07-2023, 12:25 PM

Which players picked yesterday don’t give a shit?

Seeing the players reaction after the loss… and after other losses I would argue strongly that they care.

We might be selecting the wrong people, but we aren’t losing because of lack of effort or want to win.

kruder
30-07-2023, 01:03 PM
I'm actually really looking forward to finally seeing the collective of JJ, Richards and Dale off half back. They are part of a handful of go forward players we have within the group and yes there is a balance in regards to defence but we will be a much better watch with them in the side.

EasternWest
30-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Which players picked yesterday don’t give a shit?

Seeing the players reaction after the loss… and after other losses I would argue strongly that they care.

We might be selecting the wrong people, but we aren’t losing because of lack of effort or want to win.

Yeah I get where Fredi is coming from but I can't buy that our guys don't give a shit.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-07-2023, 03:07 PM
Yeah I get where Fredi is coming from but I can't buy that our guys don't give a shit.

Agreed not a lack of effort.

We just aren't good enough individually or collectively. That's on some players, that's on the coach, that's on the list manager.

I'd also question our mental fragility and fitness, but not our effort.

bornadog
30-07-2023, 03:12 PM
Listening to the presser, sounds like Liam is a chance for Friday night and I would think JOD will also come in.

Bulldog4life
30-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Listening to the presser, sounds like Liam is a chance for Friday night and I would think JOD will also come in.

Hopefully Ed too.

Danjul
30-07-2023, 05:08 PM
Agreed not a lack of effort.

We just aren't good enough individually or collectively. That's on some players, that's on the coach, that's on the list manager.

I'd also question our mental fragility and fitness, but not our effort.

A big part of the problem.

Our game plan always puts numerous players 15 metres closer to the boundary line than other teams do.

Then we have 4 players corralled tightly between the boundary line and 2-3 opposition.

The spare opposition move back and inboard to intercept and link close to the corridor.

our over the shoulder escape kick goes anywhere, preventing the forwards from having leads honoured, and often going to interceptors.

Then the drill gives these already setup opponents speedy clearances.

How to fix this? Tell the backline to aim for the logo. That?s what I have noticed the good teams do against us.

kruder
30-07-2023, 09:49 PM
I can imagine the melts if JOD plays this week, there are very few circumstances that should see him playing AFL this week.

kruder
30-07-2023, 09:51 PM

There is no way JOD should be playing seniors this week. Play Naughty back if we are down to 1 key back but JOD isn't the answer. The kid should be developing with BUSS at VFL level.

JanLorMill
30-07-2023, 09:54 PM
I can imagine the melts if JOD plays this week, there are very few circumstances that should see him playing AFL this week.
What else we got for tall backs? A first gamer Busslinger?
I’ll melt if Lobb starts CHB.

bornadog
30-07-2023, 09:57 PM

He won't be

kruder
30-07-2023, 10:25 PM
What else we got for tall backs? A first gamer Busslinger?

Naughty until Keath/Jones are back it's pretty simple if you want to win. I don't see why we need 3 talls against Richmond. Why would you bring in an unproven player off a concussion who also got subbed out the previous week? Madness

Mantis
30-07-2023, 10:27 PM
Richmond aren’t tall up forward so assuming Jones is fine to play I’d be comfortable with Jones & Richards replacing Keath & Bruce.

What we do elsewhere is anyone’s guess, but Bevo has been spinning the magnets regularly so expecting 3-4 changes.

GVGjr
30-07-2023, 10:50 PM
There is no way JOD should be playing seniors this week. Play Naughty back if we are down to 1 key back but JOD isn't the answer. The kid should be developing with BUSS at VFL level.

I'm not against it if that's what the MC thinks is best. We've been chips in on fast tracking him so we might as well go full bore.

kruder
30-07-2023, 11:58 PM
I'm not against it if that's what the MC thinks is best. We've been chips in on fast tracking him so we might as well go full bore.

I thought section integrity was a thing GVGjr? Have you changed your mind?

GVGjr
31-07-2023, 12:04 AM
I thought section integrity was a thing GVGjr? Have you changed your mind?

Not at all. We've got history of making confusing selections but we have to face facts that the MC is seeing something in him more than pure performances. Bevo gave him a decent endorsement as well.

soupman
31-07-2023, 08:40 AM
Naughton stays forward. 3 of the last 4 weeks forwardline has looked pretty good and like it's finally opening up, and Naughton has been a big part of that. Let's not change a strength against a side that we are not worse than.

I'm not huge on Jods ability to deliver in the short term but if Jones isn't available Jod is fine. At least it'll be in a role where he can actually contribute.

G-Mo77
02-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Ryan Gardner in some doubt for Friday night?s must-win clash with Richmond.

Bulldogs defender not in main training today, still sore from the GWS defeat.

Liam Jones and Ed Richards both look ready to return @FootyonNine

bornadog
03-08-2023, 01:20 PM
Takeaways from Bevos presser

Jones and Richards to play
Gardner unsure
Darcy a few weeks away
O Donnell in mix

meenies
03-08-2023, 03:31 PM
Is Charlie going to get a call up? I sensed from the presser a debutant may be announced today. Or Bus?

azabob
03-08-2023, 03:33 PM
Is Charlie going to get a call up? I sensed from the presser a debutant may be announced today. Or Bus?

Charlie was in one of the social media grabs at the captains run - kicking a goal from the boundary.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2023, 05:29 PM
Playing a natural small forward? Outrageous. What is the MC thinking not shoehorning a fringe mid into a forward flank?

kruder
03-08-2023, 07:05 PM
Takeaways from Bevos presser

Jones and Richards to play
Gardner unsure
Darcy a few weeks away
O Donnell in mix

Sounded like there will be 3 changes? Didn't CD spend most of the last quarter on the bench?

azabob
03-08-2023, 07:18 PM
Dustin Martin OUT

azabob
03-08-2023, 07:23 PM
Western Bulldogs v Richmond
Friday 4 August, 7.50pm AEST
Marvel Stadium

B: Jason Johannisen, Liam Jones, Taylor Duryea
HB: Bailey Dale, James O’Donnell, Ed Richards
C: Caleb Daniel, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams
HF: Cody Weightman, Aaron Naughton, Bailey Smith
F: Rory Lobb, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Rhylee West
R: Tim English, Adam Treloar, Tom Liberatore

Int: Jack Macrae, Laitham Vandermeer, Caleb Poulter, Anthony Scott

Emer: Oskar Baker, Buku Khamis, Arthur Jones, Jordon Sweet

azabob
03-08-2023, 07:24 PM
IN; Jones, O’Donnell, Richards, West
OUT: Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Cleary

hujsh
03-08-2023, 07:29 PM
IN; Jones, O’Donnell, Richards, West
OUT: Keath, Bruce, Gardner, Cleary

Big changes down back. O'Donnell on one of Riewoldt or Lynch (would have to be the former surely) and feel a bit for Cleary even though he was the emergency

azabob
03-08-2023, 07:31 PM
Big changes down back. O'Donnell on one of Riewoldt or Lynch (would have to be the former surely) and feel a bit for Cleary even though he was the emergency

Lynch isn’t playing. Hasn’t for a while.

Rocket Science
03-08-2023, 07:34 PM
All things considered that's as good a back six as we've fielded all year.

We should roll these chumps.

G-Mo77
03-08-2023, 07:35 PM
What has JOD got on the MC. Nude photos of all? I just don't see it, there was a brief glimmer in one game a while back but apart from that he's offered nothing. Cleary toils away at VFL, plays great footy, gets a shot and did pretty well, dropped after one week.

Grantysghost
03-08-2023, 07:37 PM
What has JOD got on the MC. Nude photos of all? I just don't see it, there was a brief glimmer in one game a while back but apart from that he's offered nothing. Cleary toils away at VFL, plays great footy, gets a shot and did pretty well, dropped after one week.

He's a pretty good player in that 3rd KPD role? Are you only watching on TV, I'm starting to build a theory.

soupman
03-08-2023, 07:40 PM

This isn't the week to question his selection. The only other bloke on the list that plays his position is an 18 year old skinny kid that did even less pre-season than JOD and hasn't even made emergency yet.

Cleary is competing with Richards fos his spot, I know who I'd pick.

G-Mo77
03-08-2023, 07:42 PM
He's a pretty good player in that 3rd KPD role? Are you only watching on TV, I'm starting to build a theory.

TV. Please enlighten me what he does actually do?

hujsh
03-08-2023, 07:43 PM
Lynch isn?t playing. Hasn?t for a while.

So what tall forwards do we have to worry about? Just the 1 and a resting ruck?

G-Mo77
03-08-2023, 07:45 PM
So what tall forwards do we have to worry about? Just the 1 and a resting ruck?

Balta? Riewoldt? I really haven't watched much of them either but they're the only ones off the top of my head.

Grantysghost
03-08-2023, 07:45 PM
TV. Please enlighten me what he does actually do?

Very good without the ball. Stuff not on TV.

HOSE B ROMERO
03-08-2023, 07:57 PM
Very good without the ball. Stuff not on TV.

I actually thought he was going ok until he got concussed in his last game.

bornadog
03-08-2023, 07:59 PM

The way I now look at JOD is the way we brought in Marra for his first games. Year one 5 games, average 7 disposals and 7 goals total. Year two 17 games, 18 goals, av 7.9 disposals. No different than blooding JOD for a role.

I don't think we have a choice with three tall back man all out in the same week.

Go_Dogs
03-08-2023, 08:13 PM
I actually thought he was going ok until he got concussed in his last game.

Agree

I’m backing him in as a long term prospect and don’t mind us developing him now. He’s going OK and suits at Marvel and against this oppo.

G-Mo77
03-08-2023, 08:20 PM
The way I now look at JOD is the way we brought in Marra for his first games. Year one 5 games, average 7 disposals and 7 goals total. Year two 17 games, 18 goals, av 7.9 disposals. No different than blooding JOD for a role.

I don't think we have a choice with three tall back man all out in the same week.

Yeah, hands are tied here, I get that. Perfect opportunity to give Jedd a shot and get some time into him before the end of season. Perfect opponent to play smaller and leave Cleary in a little longer to get some time into him. Hell if we didn't pigeon hole Buku into a Fwd/Ruck he could have been useful as well right now to see what we have. I've got absolutely nothing against JOd despite how it sounds I just can't see how or why we are putting so much game time into someone so green.

bornadog
03-08-2023, 08:34 PM
Yeah, hands are tied here, I get that. Perfect opportunity to give Jedd a shot and get some time into him before the end of season. Perfect opponent to play smaller and leave Cleary in a little longer to get some time into him. Hell if we didn't pigeon hole Buku into a Fwd/Ruck he could have been useful as well right now to see what we have. I've got absolutely nothing against JOd despite how it sounds I just can't see how or why we are putting so much game time into someone so green.

I would like to have seen Cleary stay in.

josie
03-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Wrong thread I know, do woofers think Cleary will be able to bulk up a bit?

I see that mainly as what?s holding him back. I think otherwise Cleary is a really neat player and see him as our Duryea replacement moreso than a Richards or B Dale backup, which might be next year or part way through it. Thought he laid some good tackles and played ok including not panicking last week. To me he has a pretty good footy IQ and has had a fair bit of continuity as well as incremental improvement at VFL level for last 2 years. Mostly if not entirely injury free too.

Bullies
03-08-2023, 08:50 PM

I see that mainly as what?s holding him back. I think otherwise Cleary is a really neat player and see him as our Duryea replacement moreso than a Richards or B Dale backup, which might be next year or part way through it. Thought he laid some good tackles and played ok including not panicking last week. To me he has a pretty good footy IQ and has had a fair bit of continuity as well as incremental improvement at VFL level for last 2 years. Mostly if not entirely injury free too.
As you can see from last week Cleary is not ready to play at this level. Will do his confidence wonders playing in the 2's and then a big season on his strength to get him right for next year.

JOD is already built to go. He can play on small/medium/large. MC by all accounts are most impressed with the roles he has been given in defence and with more experience and confidence you will find he will start taking his intercept marks.

azabob
03-08-2023, 09:01 PM

Agree his strength is holding him back. We clearly rate him and willing to play the long game which reflects why he signed a longer than normal contract extension.

Danjul
03-08-2023, 09:23 PM

Interesting?..

Cleary is associated with small and Khamis is associated with ruck (big).

Actually, Cleary is the taller of the two.

It is another Bulldog mystery.

mjp
03-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Lynch isn?t playing. Hasn?t for a while.

Lol. I just had a heart attack. 1. Lynch was in. 2. We were going to match him against JOD.

You literally saved my life aza.

bornadog
03-08-2023, 11:40 PM
Losing all three tall backman from the GWS game must be a record.

Bulldog Joe
04-08-2023, 08:47 AM
Lol. I just had a heart attack. 1. Lynch was in. 2. We were going to match him against JOD.

You literally saved my life aza.

It is OK.

Gardner is matching up on Lynch this week.

Both in the stands and Gardner will do better against him than on the last few occasions.

Mofra
04-08-2023, 09:39 AM
It is OK.

Gardner is matching up on Lynch this week.

Both in the stands and Gardner will do better against him than on the last few occasions.
Some bulldog fans will still blame him if we lose.

azabob
04-08-2023, 09:51 AM
The back six looks the best it has all year from a ball movement and leg speed view point.
A touch undersized but Richmond. I expect Jones to keep Reiwoldt in check and O'Donnell to play on the resting ruckman.

The match up for Cumberland and Bolton are a concern.

EasternWest
04-08-2023, 10:04 AM

Not me. I'll still find some way to blame McComb.

Jasper
04-08-2023, 10:10 AM

I dont get the disregard so many of our supporters have for him.

SquirrelGrip
04-08-2023, 10:27 AM
In his press conference yesterday, Bevo alluded to a different structure down back this week and specific strategies targeted to beat Richmond. Other than the obvious personnel changes of Jones and JOD being the new defensive talls, what do we think it might be?

Mofra
04-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Or others. The commentary on some of our players is embarrassing sometimes

Mofra
04-08-2023, 10:36 AM
In his press conference yesterday, Bevo alluded to a different structure down back this week and specific strategies targeted to beat Richmond. Other than the obvious personnel changes of Jones and JOD being the new defensive talls, what do we think it might be?
Man on man at times? Old school

Grantysghost
04-08-2023, 10:40 AM

People seem to get a fix on certain players and it's tough to budge.

I don't get it either. They're all literally bleeding for OUR jumper.

Danjul
04-08-2023, 10:53 AM
I think it is more about the way he got into the team initially. That put him under the microscope.

Then the role he was given. It is not attractive or positive, just punch the ball away. Has prevented teammates from marking many times. Unfortunately, just following orders, don?t make it look better.

GVGjr
04-08-2023, 11:45 AM
I think it is more about the way he got into the team initially. That put him under the microscope.

Then the role he was given. It is not attractive or positive, just punch the ball away. Has prevented teammates from marking many times. Unfortunately, just following orders, don?t make it look better.

There would be a bit of that I suppose and I suspect it might be something that follows O'Donnell as well.
Gardner has some limitations but I'm happy to have him in the team.

G-Mo77
04-08-2023, 12:51 PM
There would be a bit of that I suppose and I suspect it might be something that follows O'Donnell as well.
Gardner has some limitations but I'm happy to have him in the team.

He's certainly grown on me. He's awful ball in hand and every time he's about to kick it I cringe. All that being said I believe he has learned what his limitations are and you don't see him kicking the ball into the 10th row as much, you don't see him caught out of position as often and has developed a pretty good art in spoiling, tough as nails as well. We won a Premiership with big Fletch as a KPD, we can build a decent backline around Gardner as well.

GVGjr
04-08-2023, 12:54 PM
He's certainly grown on me. He's awful ball in hand and every time he's about to kick it I cringe. All that being said I believe he has learned what his limitations are and you don't see him kicking the ball into the 10th row as much, you don't see him caught out of position as often and has developed a pretty good art in spoiling, tough as nails as well. We one a Premiership with big Fletch as a KPD, we can build a decent backline around Gardner as well.

Speaking of Fletcher Roberts he's being interviewed in the sponsors room tonight. Looking forward to it.

jeemak
04-08-2023, 01:26 PM

Something that we don't notice or understand, but infuriates us anyway I think.

EasternWest
04-08-2023, 04:28 PM
Speaking of Fletcher Roberts he's being interviewed in the sponsors room tonight. Looking forward to it.

Bullgod

lemmon
04-08-2023, 04:42 PM
He's certainly grown on me. He's awful ball in hand and every time he's about to kick it I cringe. All that being said I believe he has learned what his limitations are and you don't see him kicking the ball into the 10th row as much, you don't see him caught out of position as often and has developed a pretty good art in spoiling, tough as nails as well. We won a Premiership with big Fletch as a KPD, we can build a decent backline around Gardner as well.

Is it weird that I thought Fletcher Roberts was a substantially better footballer than Gardner and was treated harshly at selection/was delisted too early?

HOSE B ROMERO
04-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Is it weird that I thought Fletcher Roberts was a substantially better footballer than Gardner and was treated harshly at selection/was delisted too early?

Having players like Boyd, Morris, Wood and Murphy made it easier for those around them. Gardy hasn't had that luxury.

lemmon
04-08-2023, 10:16 PM
Having players like Boyd, Morris, Wood and Murphy made it easier for those around them. Gardy hasn't had that luxury.

I think Fletch was a very good kick for a big man and was willing to back himself in the air - haven't seen that from Gardner.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-08-2023, 10:55 PM
Roberts was just too slow to make it, and not strong enough to make up for the lack of pace.

Still, played a role in the greatest premiership in AFL history and will always be remembered.

azabob
05-08-2023, 12:10 AM
The back six looks the best it has all year from a ball movement and leg speed view point.
A touch undersized but Richmond. I expect Jones to keep Reiwoldt in check and O'Donnell to play on the resting ruckman.

The match up for Cumberland and Bolton are a concern.

Screw it. I?m quoting myself. Fairly happy with this call in hindsight.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 01:24 AM
Screw it. I?m quoting myself. Fairly happy with this call in hindsight.

Spot on

bulldogtragic
05-08-2023, 08:24 AM
I thought Arty showed a bit as the sub. A surprise selection in a sense but got himself involved with trying to set up some play in the forward 50.

Bulldog4life
05-08-2023, 11:58 AM
People seem to get a fix on certain players and it's tough to budge.

I don't get it either. They're all literally bleeding for OUR jumper.

A terrific post Gg. My exact sentiments.

EasternWest
05-08-2023, 01:39 PM
I thought Arty showed a bit as the sub. A surprise selection in a sense but got himself involved with trying to set up some play in the forward 50.

He's got great dancing feet and high energy. I think he'll definitely have a place going forwards.

bornadog
05-08-2023, 02:08 PM
He's got great dancing feet and high energy. I think he'll definitely have a place going forwards.

Also ideal sub at this stage. Come on and make a quick impact