hujsh
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
From Sportingpulse.com

Williamstown 24.7-151
def.
Port Melbourne
17.12-114

Williamstown
Goal Kickers: D. Galea 6, L. Picken 3, J. Grant 3, P. Street 2, C. Urch 2, P. Rose 2, D. Stretton 2, S. Tiller 2, C. Ward 2
Best Players: L. Picken, C. Ward, B. Johnson, D. Galea, D. Stretton, S. Meyer

Port Melbourne
Goal Kickers: D. Fanning 3, C. Cain 3, R. Thomas 3, R. Nahas 2, D. McLaren, M. Pearce, D. Pitt, L. Cotchett, T. Pinwill, S. Dwyer
Best Players: D. Fanning, T. Pinwill, R. Thomas, J. Baird, R. Nahas, L. Livingston

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Williamstown 6.2 9.4 17.5 24.7-151
Port Melbourne 5.2 12.6 14.9 17.12-114

RESERVES

23.19-157 Williamstown
def.
10.7-67 Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Goal Kickers: B. Dickson 4, A. Cook 4, T. Jenkins 3, S. Greene 2, M. Boyd 2, L. Cartelli 2, A. Chiu, M. Grossman, J. Gotch, M. Cravino, N. Black, J. Boumann
Best Players: B. Dickson, S. Greene, A. Chiu, M. Cravino, A. Cook, N. Black

Port Melbourne
Goal Kickers: A. Gilham 2, J. Mullins 2, H. O''Farrell 2, W. deBruin, T. Sheldon, L. Dare, S. Livingstone
Best Players: W. Schultz, V. Siciliano, B. Sutcliffe, T. Martin, H. O''Farrell, L. Parker

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Port Melbourne 5.0 8.2 9.3 10.7-67
Williamstown 9.3 12.7 18.14 23.19-157

GVGjr
12-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Saw both of the games today.

The Reserves had a huge win, 23-18-156 vs 10-7-67.
Henry White injured himself today and was off the ground for nearly 3 quarters.
Sam Reid played forward and in the midfield and was given an assignment in the last quarter as part of his development and to help get him back into the seniors.
Jarrod Boumann was good again moving between CHF/FF and a few spells in the ruck. He is still a bit inconsistent but his work rate was better than previous weeks.
Easton Wood played mainly as a half forward flanker and was very quiet although he occasionally displays his impressive athleticism. He went for a huge ride in the 3rd quarter that would have been a ripper but it didn't stick. He got talked to at the 3 quarter time address because he should be flying for marks when his bigger team mates were as well.
James Mulligan mainly played as the ruckman was was good without being much better than that. Like most weeks he moves around the ground very well.

For the Williamstown players, Steven Greene was very good as was Murray Boyd and Brant Dickson. Adam Cook was in great touch up forward.

I'll write something about the seniors a bit later but they came good in the second half after a very average performance in the first.

The final scores were
Williamstown 24-7-151 d Port Melbourne 17-12-114

ledge
12-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Grant and Ward seem to be our most promising over the first few Willy games.
Both kids and already pushing best players in the firsts. Thats got to mean something special.
As i wrote in another thread our 2nd tier players have become one of our strong points.
Players injured at W.B. seeps through to Willy and they are still winning games very comfortably.
Note: Geelong reserves last year.

GVGjr
12-04-2008, 08:57 PM
For the Bulldogs listed players

Paul O'Shea had a very poor game. Poor decisions and gave away a few free kicks. he even spoiled the ball then he was the only player going for it which resulted in a goal to Port. Far from a good game today.

Stephen Tiller started as the CHB before moving forward and then later back into defence. He was OK in the 2nd half but not a great game but he did kick a couple of goals including one in the last quarter.

Guy O'Keefe had a quiet game after copping a knock to the head (nose I think) He did some nice things but really didn't have any influence on the game.

Jarrad Grant started on the IC bench before playing mainly as the CHF or FF. After half time he was one of the reasons why the Seagulls got back into the game. He took some nice marks in the air on on the lead and was busy whenever the ball was in dispute. He kicked 3 goals for the game.

Brennan Stack mainly played as a HBF but really was quiet. No trademark big leaps and struggled with the tempo of the game. He was very quiet.

Callan Ward started as a forward before moving onto the ball. He floated between both positions. Whilst he was good to solid in the first half Ward really lifted his tempo in the 2nd and was one of the catalysts for the turnaround. His ability to read the play and make the right decisions is excellent for someone so young. In one contest where he had three opponents he earned himself a free kick with his persistence. Plenty to like about his game and he must be pushing the selectors for a senior game or two. He kicked 2 goals.

Peter Street as you would expect mainly played in the ruck and was OK without being much better. He kicked a couple of goals and held his marks but it wasn't a dominant game or one that would get him a senior recall.

Wayde Skipper started as a key forward with a spell or two into the ruck before being sent to defence to try and curb the influence of the Port big men particularly McLaren and Fanning. This is one of the moved that Gotch did at half time and probably was the one that dried up Ports ability to get goals. Skipper held his marks when he was on the ball and did very well as a defender.

For the Williamstown listed players Dean Galea had a very good game and held his marks and kicked his goals. Sretton, Meyer and Picken all did well. Cloke had a quiet one and just couldn't get going. He moved to defence and lifted a bit in the 2nd half. urch bobbed up in the last quarter but didn't play well. He game away some silly free kicks and even a 50mtr penalty.

No sign of McDougall or Lynch there today.

LostDoggy
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks G for the updates - it takes a few days before anything appears on the Willi site.

If Ward were to be promoted in the very near future, would you play him on a flank, or would you through him into the mid field (putting the cart before horse here, but he may be promoted for a perceived 'softer' game - like Richmond)?

GVGjr
12-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks G for the updates - it takes a few days before anything appears on the Willi site.

If Ward were to be promoted in the very near future, would you play him on a flank, or would you through him into the mid field (putting the cart before horse here, but he may be promoted for a perceived 'softer' game - like Richmond)?

Start him of the half forward line as our midfield already has plenty of depth. He will be able to play anywhere other than the key positions in the not too distant future.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Although Wight has done ok, I'd be tempted to replace him with Skipper especially now hearing he played in defence.

ledge
13-04-2008, 12:46 PM
Although Wight has done ok, I'd be tempted to replace him with Skipper especially now hearing he played in defence.

I tend to think Skipper is a lot more silkier and his marking is better but Wight can tackle and does a lot of it, dont know if i see Skipper doing it as much.
I think Skipper would make a good full forward, from what i remember he is a very good kick.

GVGjr
13-04-2008, 01:02 PM

He was matched up against Fanning and McLaren which is hardly a great gauge so he might need a couple of more efforts as a defender before being considered as a defender.

Given that really just he and Street share the ruck duties he might get much of a go at it though.

I forgot to mention that the day was pitched as Barry Rounds last home game of watching Williamstown before he heads off to the Gold Coast.
Heaps of former players were kicking around including Crackers Keenan, Peter Schwab and Terry Wheeler. Peter Dean and Wayne Campbell were there as well.

Go_Dogs
13-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the report GVGjr. Sounds like Ward will come into strong contention over the next few weeks.

Twodogs
13-04-2008, 04:56 PM

I'd be against it. Wight has improved each week this season and looks to be finally finding his place in the team. A big guy like him who can run his opponent into the ground and always puts his head over the ball only ever needed to learn where to run and get a bit less panicky with the ball is priceless to us and enless his form slumps dramatically I'd leave him in the team. Having said that Skip's form makes him a great back up and I can see him and Wight swapping places in the team at stages through the season.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd be against it. Wight has improved each week this season and looks to be finally finding his place in the team. A big guy like him who can run his opponent into the ground and always puts his head over the ball only ever needed to learn where to run and get a bit less panicky with the ball is priceless to us and enless his form slumps dramatically I'd leave him in the team. Having said that Skip's form makes him a great back up and I can see him and Wight swapping places in the team at stages through the season.

Wight doesn't deserved to be dropped but I don't think he is a long term prospect at CHB. This is not his first go there either.
He can run off his man but what happens when our midfield comes up against better opposition? He most likely be one on one against a bigger opponent and thats where Skipper is better than him. Wight might be faster but in terms of skill and decision making Skipper beats him.

GVGjr
15-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I forgot to mention that the day was pitched as Barry Rounds last home game of watching Williamstown before he heads off to the Gold Coast.
Heaps of former players were kicking around including Crackers Keenan, Peter Schwab and Terry Wheeler. Peter Dean and Wayne Campbell were there as well.

WILLIAMSTOWN living legend Barry Round almost shed a tear when he spoke at his farewell luncheon at the Burbank Oval last Saturday before the Seagulls' round 2 match against Port Melbourne.

He took the guests for a trip down memory lane as he spoke proudly of his 22 years involvement with the VFL club, initially as a player, then playing-coach, and for the past decade a member of the club's board of management.

This Monday, Round will be pulling up stumps and moving to Miami on Queensland's Gold Coast.

He wants to be near his daughter Natalie and son David Round, who is playing football for Broadbeach.

"Melbourne's winters are starting to take a toll on me and I want to live near my children," he said.

"I loved Williamstown but after being a grandpa for the second time, the time had come to move on.

"I had about 15 farewell lunches and dinners last week.

"I'm a pretty emotional guy at the best of times, but I haven't cried yet. "It's not as though I heading off into the sunset never to return."

Round, 58, has been able to transfer his employment with Williamstown company Curran Chemicals to the Gold Coast.

Football won't be far from his mind in between his burgeoning career as a country singer on the Gold and Sunshine Coast's nightclub circuit.

"I also hope to get an ambassadorial role with the proposed 17th AFL club," Round said. "I reckon I could help set up a new club."

The Seagulls sent Round off in style, as they overcame a half-time deficit to beat Port by 37-points.

"It was a bit of arm wrestle, much like the previous match against Collingwood," Round said.

"We played well from midway through the third quarter until the end of the game.

"Our fitness showed through and we ran over the top of them and showed our authority."

Round lauded rover Liam Picken, 18-year-old midfielder Callan Ward, full forward Dean Galea who booted six goals, skipper Brett Johnson and Jarrad Grant.

"Picken is a great young player and he kicked three good goals," he said. "He copped a bout of concussion a couple of games ago against Werribee. He is a quality player and Williamstown are lucky to have him."

Round said Western Bulldogs-listed Ward had shown outstanding qualities in the three VFL matches.

"He is a good kid and it's only a matter of time before he breaks into the Western Bulldogs side," he said.

"He finishes off his work so well, his disposal is very smooth."

The former Williamstown big man said Johnson led the engine room.

"Brett was a ball magnet and jelled his side together," he said.

He described Galea's work in front of goal as a "beautiful set of numbers".

On Grant, he said he was impressive, kicking three goals, but "he still needs to work on his second efforts".

Round was an AFL pioneer as the inaugural skipper of the Sydney Swans in their first year in the harbour city in 1982.

Earlier he played 135 games with Footscray as a ruckman/defender after being recruited from Warragul.

He was then traded to South Melbourne at the end of 1975 and become a cult figure at the Lake Oval.

He made 193 appearances with the Swans and shared the 1981 Brownlow Medal with friend former Bulldogs teammate Bernie Quinlan.

He moved to Williamstown in 1986 under coach Terry Wheeler and was part of the premiership side in that year working across the half-forward line and in the ruck.

He won a hat-trick of Seagulls' best and fairest awards in 1987-1989. In 1987 Round's stellar season was topped off with the Liston Trophy.

In 1990, at the age of 40, he was playing-coach of Williamstown's memorable come-from-behind premiership win over Springvale.

SCOREBOARD
WILLIAMSTOWN
6.2 9.4 17.5 24.7 (151)
PORT MELBOURNE
5.2 12.6 14.9 17.12 (114)
GOALS: Williamstown: Galea 6 Picken 3 Grant 3 Tiller 2 Street 2 Urch 2 Rose 2 Ward 2 Stretton 2. Port: Thomas 3 Fanning 3 Cain 3 Nahas 2 Dwyer Pearce McLaren Pinwill Pitt Cotchett
BEST: Williamstown: Picken Ward Johnson Galea Stretton Meyer. Port: Fanning Pinwill Thomas Baird Nahas

Bulldog Revolution
15-04-2008, 04:07 PM
I love Barry Round offering a bit of feedback on Ward and Grant

ledge
15-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I think all Western Bulldog supporters have a soft spot for Barry, he is a legend of the west and is one player/person who has always come across as an honest, hard working, truly good bloke.