Essendon vs Sydney Swans (Marvel Stadium), 7:25pm

Adelaide Crows vs Port Adelaide (Adelaide Oval), 7:40pm

Sunday July 30

Hawthorn vs St Kilda (Marvel Stadium), 1:10pm

Richmond vs Melbourne (MCG), 3:20pm

West Coast Eagles vs North Melbourne (Optus Stadium), 4:40pm

Eastdog
27-07-2023, 10:52 AM
Each round now big games leading into the finals. We just need to get the win on Saturday.

macca
28-07-2023, 02:23 PM
Ziebell going to retire end of year, played 275 games

Did he end Cloake's career?

bornadog
28-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Hopefully Pies win tonight, hate Carlton and keeps them at bay from us

Grantysghost
28-07-2023, 05:12 PM
Hopefully Pies win tonight, hate Carlton and keeps them at bay from us

Be very interesting game.

Blues form been amazing. Pies probably due for a loss.

I expect Pies to overwhelm them with their intensity, however we can't discount the form.

GVGjr
28-07-2023, 05:17 PM

Great career, he should be proud to have stuck it out given Norths recent history.
Not sure about Cloke sorry Macca.

azabob
28-07-2023, 08:53 PM
Adam Cerra is a bloody good footballer. Carlton did well to get him.

GVGjr
28-07-2023, 09:42 PM
Good contest. Could Carlton knock off the Pies or will it be one of those great come from behind wins?

josie
28-07-2023, 09:49 PM

Thug. Don’t like him.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2023, 10:01 PM
What fools would trade away the chance to secure Curnow?

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2023, 10:04 PM
What fools would trade away the chance to secure Curnow?

It was a dumb move at the time and it remains a dumb move in hindsight. What did we end up with? Dunkley and Collins?

Reckon Collingwood were ripe for the picking tonight and Carlton are now in form. This kind of result beckoned.

GVGjr
28-07-2023, 10:06 PM
Voss was under pressure a couple of months back. He's not now.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2023, 10:06 PM
It was a dumb move at the time and it remains a dumb move in hindsight. What did we end up with? Dunkley and Collins?

Reckon Collingwood were ripe for the picking tonight and Carlton are now in form. This kind of result beckoned.

Yep. Although now it’s Curnow for Charlie Clarke and about Pick 20. Would Carlton do that deal for us?

jeemak
28-07-2023, 10:08 PM
Does anyone ever kick this badly against us?

bulldogtragic
28-07-2023, 10:09 PM
Does anyone ever kick this badly against us?

No..

jeemak
28-07-2023, 10:09 PM
Man it'd crack me up if Carlton blew a six goal lead with twelve minutes to play.

bornadog
28-07-2023, 10:11 PM
Curnow the king of free kicks in front of goal - over 30 for the season

GVGjr
28-07-2023, 10:19 PM
They are very much an in form team. Moore doesn't look as good when he has to be accountable.

jeemak
28-07-2023, 10:23 PM
I wish they kicked like this against us.

jeemak
28-07-2023, 10:25 PM
Great win from the Blues. And just another intriguing way in which they will gaslight their fans this year.

Sedat
28-07-2023, 10:27 PM
Good result for the competition. The season is wide open, including for us.

The blueprint to beat the filth is to smash them on the inside and pressure them all night on the outside so they don't take it end to end.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-07-2023, 10:41 PM
Yep. Although now it’s Curnow for Charlie Clarke and about Pick 20. Would Carlton do that deal for us?

Whilst you're right in the overall tenet of your argument, it doesn't also account for 7 years of Dunkley's service, of which 2, maybe 3 were absolute elite years for us. Brisbane will reasonably expect or hope to get 5 elite years (seeing him up to 31 years of age) from him.

But yeah, it totally sucked that trade-wise we ended up allowing ourselves to be even in a position to be put over the barrel and accept that kind of deal for a player of his ilk. I mean who in-the-name-of professional-sports-contract-drama-through-the-ages could've possibly forecast that the guy who wanted to leave a year earlier, and who didn't look like re-signing after that, might somehow consider a similar move, the next year, when his contract expired. who woulda thunk that...:confused:

But there it undoubtedly is, and here we undoubtedly are.

Curnow was a big risk for being a total bust too, so you're always at the risk as a recruiter of being on the wrong side of these things across your career. Looking at the trajectory of both Dunkley and Curnow's career over the first 4 years and I think Dog's recruiters and list manager must've been even allowing themselves a smug smile. Less so now.

Fingers bloody crossed young Clarke, given time, can once more change which side of the ledger that trade end up being permanently inscribe on.

angelopetraglia
28-07-2023, 10:44 PM
If Naughton was looked after like Curnow from the umps he would kick 100 goals. Five free kicks Charlie for tonight. 5! No other player got more than 2 on the ground.

Grantysghost
28-07-2023, 10:45 PM
Whilst you're right in the overall tenet of your argument, it doesn't also account for 7 years of Dunkley's service, of which 2, maybe 3 were absolute elite years for us. Brisbane will reasonably expect or hope to get 5 elite years (seeing him up to 31 years of age) from him.

But yeah, it totally sucked that trade-wise we ended up allowing ourselves to be even in a position to be put over the barrel and accept that kind of deal for a player of his ilk. I mean who in-the-name-of professional-sports-contract-drama-through-the-ages could've possibly forecast that the guy who wanted to leave a year earlier, and who didn't look like re-signing after that, might somehow consider a similar move, the next year, when his contract expired. who woulda thunk that...:confused:

But there it undoubtedly is, and here we undoubtedly are.

Curnow was a big risk for being a total bust too, so you're always at the risk as a recruiter of being on the wrong side of these things across your career. Looking at the trajectory of both Dunkley and Curnow's career over the first 4 years and I think Dog's recruiters and list manager must've been even allowing themselves a smug smile. Less so now.

Fingers bloody crossed young Clarke, given time, can once more change which side of the ledger that trade end up being permanently inscribe on.

I've seen zero with Charlie Clarke. Not sure what the recruiters saw.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-07-2023, 10:49 PM
I've seen zero with Charlie Clarke. Not sure what the recruiters saw.

Yeah... not much else we can do now but just wait and hope it somehow proves inspired in 2 or 3 years...

angelopetraglia
28-07-2023, 10:57 PM
Curnow does milk the free kicks well. It’s an art form. Throws the arms out. Throws the head back at the right moment. Gets his timing perfect.

Charlie had five free kicks tonight. No other player on the ground has more than 2. Four goals from free kicks!

Sedat
28-07-2023, 11:02 PM
Filth have a treacle slow midfield. Will that hurt them in September when the weather picks up?

macca
28-07-2023, 11:52 PM
Great win from the Blues. And just another intriguing way in which they will gaslight their fans this year.

I like these type of wins for Carlton, it gives them hope for finals ( keeps them blowing the hot air balloon) and in the last round when they miss it... you can hear the screaming of their fans.

Pies look flat tonight.

The blues piled on lots of pressure. Did Martin Make a difference? He may finally come good for them.

ReLoad
29-07-2023, 05:41 AM
I would like to apologise to all woofers for my substandard rooting.

I couldn’t get behind the toothless bogans, I sincerely promise to root better and give my all in our next root.

Mantis
29-07-2023, 07:53 AM
Filth have a treacle slow midfield. Will that hurt them in September when the weather picks up?

Of the top teams only Port have leg speed in the middle so not sure it will count for much.

azabob
29-07-2023, 08:00 AM
Why are we making excuses for Collingwood?

Carlton were awesome all night. Hard at the contest, took advantage of their opportunities.

Gee whiz Jack Martin is one talented footballer.

GVGjr
29-07-2023, 08:15 AM

Carlton were awesome all night. Hard at the contest, took advantage of their opportunities.

Gee whiz Jack Martin is one talented footballer.

I agree, Carlton have really peaked. Martin is a talented footballer but he doesn't show up enough for my liking.

DOG GOD
29-07-2023, 09:38 AM
I agree, Carlton have really peaked. Martin is a talented footballer but he doesn't show up enough for my liking.
Agree, and certainly not worth the $800k + he?s on ;)

Sedat
29-07-2023, 11:02 AM
Of the top teams only Port have leg speed in the middle so not sure it will count for much.
Melbourne with Trac and his explosive speed out of the stoppages could also pose problems, and they are likely opponents on the bigger MCG 1st week of finals.

Their leg speed problem is compounded when their ruck divison is just barely going, so their mids can't be assertive at stoppage. They have a big problem with Cox at the moment - he is getting smashed at ruck stoppages (forcing Cameron to do extra minutes) and he ie a liability up forward. I reckon they will go small with Ash Johnson as the 2nd ruck/forward - couldn't possibly be less effective than Cox in either role.

mjp
29-07-2023, 11:31 AM
I reckon they will go small with Ash Johnson as the 2nd ruck/forward - couldn't possibly be less effective than Cox in either role.

Why not just use McStay as the backup ruck and go smaller - then in an EMERGENCY (aka Cameron injured) McStay is #1 and Johnson becomes support...

ledge
29-07-2023, 11:43 AM
Carlton turned it on no doubt , but also had to be at their best to beat them. Collingwood had one of their bad days.
Collingwood needed a loss. I wouldn’t be to concerned if I was a pies supporter.
I guess losing to Carlton is what hurts the supporters most.

azabob
29-07-2023, 12:04 PM
Brisbane defence is undated and their midfield is in the top two in the competition (even with losing Ashcroft), the only question that remains is can Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher and Eric Hipwood kick enough goals come prelim final night.

I fully expect a Lions and Pies grand final.

Sedat
29-07-2023, 12:32 PM
Why not just use McStay as the backup ruck and go smaller - then in an EMERGENCY (aka Cameron injured) McStay is #1 and Johnson becomes support...
That could work, although that would rely on Mihocek being more involved as top dog up forward when McStay rucks. Basically anything that doesn't involve Mason Cox.

Johnson would have a higher vertical leap so might be more effective in ruck contests than McStay.

mjp
29-07-2023, 01:22 PM
Johnson would have a higher vertical leap so might be more effective in ruck contests than McStay.

McStay was the starting ruckman for Brisbane in a winning final last year...I'd back him 100x over Johnson.

jazzadogs
29-07-2023, 01:43 PM

I only really got to watch the second half, but I thought Collingwood outplayed Carlton everywhere except the scoreboard.

It was one of the rare days in the past two years where the pies haven't hit all their moments.

Side note, Carlton were never actually that bad this year - they're just kicking straighter at goal now.

bornadog
29-07-2023, 03:11 PM
Go Freo

whythelongface
29-07-2023, 07:01 PM
Obviously not a great day for us but good to see both Geelong and Brisbane get done.

HOSE B ROMERO
29-07-2023, 07:23 PM
Wow, this is certainly the round of shocks.

Lots of twists and turns to this season to come.

Flamethrower
29-07-2023, 07:53 PM
2023 - Year of the Steve Bradbury premiers.

Rocket Science
29-07-2023, 09:05 PM
Oh well in less depressing news the Bombres are getting pantsed.

bornadog
29-07-2023, 09:34 PM
Oh well in less depressing news the Bombres are getting pantsed.

Port choking towards end of season

chef
29-07-2023, 10:15 PM
What a round of upsets

jeemak
29-07-2023, 10:17 PM
It might be one of those seasons where we make finals but only because those teams below us lost more games than we did and those above us won more games than we did. So not really about us making finals because we won the games we did.

soupman
29-07-2023, 10:25 PM
It might be one of those seasons where we make finals but only because those teams below us lost more games than we did and those above us won more games than we did. So not really about us making finals because we won the games we did.

Which kind of feels like the 2019 and 2020 scenarios, doesn't bode well.

jeemak
29-07-2023, 10:34 PM
Which kind of feels like the 2019 and 2020 scenarios, doesn't bode well.

In those seasons we fell where we deserved. I was referring to us making it last year when people were saying we didn't deserve it because a team lost in the last round.

You finish where you finish and thinking you got lucky or unlucky is just bullshit.

bornadog
30-07-2023, 03:16 PM
Saints kicked 9 goals in the first to Hawks 3, so almost 40 points ahead.

3/4 time Hawks only 11 points behind

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 04:11 PM
Tigers beating Demons.

We are currently 9th on live ladder.

Demons friends are worried.

azabob
30-07-2023, 04:25 PM
Tigers beating Demons.

I’m worried for Friday night.

Tigers playing a very similar style to GWS. We will struggle to contain them.

Each passing week it shows how behind we are “todays” footy.

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 04:47 PM
I’m worried for Friday night.

Tigers playing a very similar style to GWS. We will struggle to contain them.

Each passing week it shows how behind we are “todays” footy.

Every team is changing to that style now.

Pies haven't even won a flag yet and teams are adopting their style.

Bevo still trying to come to terms with 3rd man up change ;)

EasternWest
30-07-2023, 05:12 PM
Bevo still trying to come to terms with 3rd man up change ;)

Emotionally so am I.

Sedat
30-07-2023, 05:24 PM
Tigers beating Demons.

Cracking game so far. Both teams taking the game on.

whythelongface
30-07-2023, 05:28 PM

Brilliant game. End to end stuff

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 05:33 PM

Basketball Sedat. We've given in to the sugar rush society.
Imagine some defence. Tackles don't even get paid anymore.

G-Mo77
30-07-2023, 05:57 PM
These HTB decisions against Richmond in the 4th have been absolute garbage

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 06:09 PM
These HTB decisions against Richmond in the 4th have been absolute garbage

They've been smashed.

I'm confident for next week.

We are still in the 8!

mjp
30-07-2023, 06:32 PM
We are still in the 8!

"Every time I think I'm out they PULL ME BACK IN!!!"

merantau
30-07-2023, 06:40 PM
Gawn played a great last quarter. It was indeed a cracking game. Melbourne dominated at the end but they had to work hard for it. Frenetic pace. We get Richmond off a 5 day break. That will help us. We will beat them next week.

bornadog
30-07-2023, 06:52 PM
Gawn played a great last quarter. It was indeed a cracking game. Melbourne dominated at the end but they had to work hard for it. Frenetic pace. We get Richmond off a 5 day break. That will help us. We will beat them next week.

It was a bit of a shoot out

DOG GOD
30-07-2023, 06:55 PM
Richmond still have Martin, Bolton and baker.
If we win, it won’t be easy, even with a 5 day break for them.

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 07:29 PM

Gawn is amazing. What an incredible athlete.

What about Harrison Petty. Pick 37, that's nailing your late picks.

azabob
30-07-2023, 07:39 PM
Gawn is amazing. What an incredible athlete.

What about Harrison Petty. Pick 37, that's nailing your late picks.

Melbournes list management, player development and drafting is nearly the best in the league. I hate it so much.

mjp
30-07-2023, 07:43 PM
Melbournes list management, player development and drafting is nearly the best in the league. I hate it so much.

They let Bedford go.

azabob
30-07-2023, 07:50 PM
They let Bedford go.

Didn’t he walk for more opportunities?

Either way you are bang on about how good he is. So hard at the contest, runs hard and uses it well.

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 08:06 PM
They let Bedford go.

And picked up Schache.

azabob
30-07-2023, 08:07 PM
And picked up Schache.

So did we and we gave up a hell of a lot more.

EasternWest
30-07-2023, 08:18 PM

He's actually still a chance to come good with us. I hear he and Vez are doing extra sessions together.

azabob
30-07-2023, 08:25 PM
He's actually still a chance to come good with us. I hear he and Vez are doing extra sessions together.

Not enough like buttons for this post!!

bornadog
30-07-2023, 08:28 PM
Not enough like buttons for this post!!

Where is happy Days when we need him

Grantysghost
30-07-2023, 09:32 PM

I've never heard of Toby Wooler and watching Balta today I think we broke even.

Of course those guys Fritsch, Taylor and Ryan go all right and came after 25!

Draft hindsight is my favorite topic.

azabob
31-07-2023, 08:18 AM
Where is happy Days when we need him

Not sure. Which moderator approved his annual leave?

EasternWest
31-07-2023, 08:22 AM
Not sure. Which moderator approved his annual leave?

I like to think he and twodogs are slugging it out at the nets in an ongoing epic.

azabob
31-07-2023, 08:25 AM
Unlike to think he and twodogs are slugging it out at the nets in an ongoing epic.

You know what... that is the most likely explanation.