PDA

View Full Version : We aren't dumb enough to lose to Gold Coast are we??

mjp
23-05-2023, 10:46 PM
When you lose a few games, losing another doesn't matter.

When you WIN a few...losing REALLY HURTS.

We are in a pack of 6- that has broken away from the rest on the ladder. Geez I hope everyone involved at the club realises that our fantastic work over the past 8-weeks has delivered an opportunity to our doorstep...and a poor effort vs the Suns will really undo a lot of it.

When you are 'up the top' (think 2021) losing stupid games to stupid teams (Hawthorn, Essendon!) really cost us. Let's not be doing that again.

BEAT THE SUNS.

Happy Days
23-05-2023, 10:52 PM
Does feel a bit stiff to be 7-3 and only be in 6th place.

I also think it would be better to win this game than to lose it.

MrMahatma
23-05-2023, 11:56 PM
It’s certainly a very losable winnable match.

I’m equal parts fear and hope.

ledge
24-05-2023, 12:03 AM
But it’s our MO to lose this one .

GVGjr
24-05-2023, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure if I would regard this as a danger game but the conditions will be difficult and GC have a lot of leg speed and athleticism which demands some respect.

Danny the snakeman
24-05-2023, 01:13 AM
Well now you mention it.:rolleyes:

Bulldog Joe
24-05-2023, 07:54 AM
We certainly need to be switched on for this game.

There needs to be no hint that the conditions will provide an excuse for a sub par performance.

We have good history in the Northern Latitudes and we need to maintain that.

Bring our pressure to this game and we win.

Ozza
24-05-2023, 10:49 AM
I think it is a good time to be travelling as a group. You've won 5 in a row - but hop on a plane and do something different. Think that could keep our sharpness.

Sedat
24-05-2023, 11:02 AM
Does feel a bit stiff to be 7-3 and only be in 6th place.

I also think it would be better to win this game than to lose it.
When there are 2-3 utter rubbish teams it creates a logjam at the higher end of the ladder, which is what is happening this year.

Not dissimilar to 2016 when we finished 7th with a 15-7 record, and even if we had beaten Freo in the last round we would still have finished 7th with a 16-6 record.

Flamethrower
24-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Someone at AFL House has a wicked sense of humor sending us to the arctic conditions of Ballarat one week and the tropics of Darwin the next.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2023, 11:21 AM
When there are 2-3 utter rubbish teams it creates a logjam at the higher end of the ladder, which is what is happening this year.

Not dissimilar to 2016 when we finished 7th with a 15-7 record, and even if we had beaten Freo in the last round we would still have finished 7th with a 16-6 record.

Typically good enough for top 4 most years.

BuT tHeY fLuKeD it FrOm 7th

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2023, 11:24 AM
Someone at AFL House has a wicked sense of humor sending us to the arctic conditions of Ballarat one week and the tropics of Darwin the next.

Yeah. Could this be the greatest temperature disparity for a team to play in successive rounds?

Was freezing in Canberra 2 weeks earlier. Played in torrential rain multiple times. We've faced the elements thisbseason that's for sure. Along with constant travel. The 2nd half of the season is much more gentle.

Happy Days
24-05-2023, 11:24 AM

I’m sure you wouldn’t have missed Essendon getting to play West Coast and North a combined four times in the remaining 13 games.

Sedat
24-05-2023, 11:28 AM
I’m sure you wouldn’t have missed Essendon getting to play West Coast and North a combined four times in the remaining 13 games.
Yep. Although don't underestimate the ability of Essendon to screw up.

On a side note, can anybody explain how the hell West Coke managed to beat Collingwood at the MCG last year? That is one batshit crazy result.

bulldogsthru&thru
24-05-2023, 11:30 AM

The saints also play hawks and north twice.

Essendons easy schedule puts them in contention for the 8.

The uneven fixture is really a blight on the competition and is highlighted even moreso right now with 3 absolute garbage teams.

jeemak
24-05-2023, 12:31 PM
I'm anticipating our superior handling skills will be telling this week, providing we bring pressure like we have in recent times.

Happy Days
24-05-2023, 12:46 PM
I'm anticipating our superior handling skills will be telling this week, providing we bring pressure like we have in recent times.

So Mark Bont 3 votes?

Mofra
24-05-2023, 12:47 PM
I?m sure you wouldn?t have missed Essendon getting to play West Coast and North a combined four times in the remaining 13 games.
Good. Let the make the finals only to lose again.
4 September 2004. I didn't need to look it up, their winless finals steak gives me that much joy I've memorized the date.

Mofra
24-05-2023, 12:50 PM
Gold Coast are missing Touk Miller. Zero excuses for this one. Rowell & Anderson are amazing but there's a sharp drop off once you get to their second mid rotation.

English needs to run Witts into the ground. He's a helluva tap ruckman, but I'd work him over. Lobb has a decent tank too so really work him.

It's one game we need to drop a tall forward of the ball and get our rucks to present as an offensive threat just to make Witts work back even harder.

azabob
24-05-2023, 03:56 PM
Gold Coast are missing Touk Miller. Zero excuses for this one. Rowell & Anderson are amazing but there's a sharp drop off once you get to their second mid rotation.

English needs to run Witts into the ground. He's a helluva tap ruckman, but I'd work him over. Lobb has a decent tank too so really work him.

It's one game we need to drop a tall forward of the ball and get our rucks to present as an offensive threat just to make Witts work back even harder.

Good call on English. He had played that exact type of game against O'Brien on Saturday.

Lobb's tank is underrated. He'd regularly play 100% total game time.

bornadog
24-05-2023, 06:40 PM
No we aren't that stupid

DOG GOD
24-05-2023, 07:27 PM
No we aren't that stupid
We may not be that stupid, but if it’s one of those we turn up uncommitted, we can certainly lose this. We’ve struggled against them at Marvel. Let’s hope Sexton isn’t playing.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-05-2023, 09:57 PM
We only lose this one at the selection table. Let’s not get to cute and respect the opponent. Adz needs at least another week pls don’t risk him. We are building nicely and need stability. These boys got the job done last week and will again this this week.

Go with clearly fir JJ and we win.

ReLoad
24-05-2023, 10:32 PM
Be more bulldog.

Oh wait, maybe that’s be less bulldog?

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2023, 10:27 AM
We all know it's a valid question.

I'm confident we've turned our season around and will account for GC, but like any other week, we need to be fully committed.

bulldogtragic
25-05-2023, 10:34 AM
We all know it's a valid question.

I'm confident we've turned our season around and will account for GC, but like any other week, we need to be fully committed.

Fair. If we want to do something meaningful this year, we need a ruthless edge. A ruthless performance goes a long way to demonstrating we are serious. A sloging win confirms we are upper-middle ladder. A loss would expose that our commitment is conditional.

I’d like to think the penny has dropped and the 22 will go out there and take no prisoners this week, and click up another four points and set ourselves to make a real statement heading into the bye.

EasternWest
25-05-2023, 03:42 PM
We'll beat Gold Coast comfortably. Bookmark for narc.

Happy Days
25-05-2023, 04:31 PM
My amateur instagram detective work is telling me that we apparently caught a PJ to Darwin. Obviously very sick and also doesn’t feel like something that a team who plans on losing would do.

Grantysghost
25-05-2023, 05:06 PM
We'll beat Gold Coast comfortably. Bookmark for narc.

This is a definite drop.

Matjoh
25-05-2023, 05:31 PM
When you lose a few games, losing another doesn't matter.

When you WIN a few...losing REALLY HURTS.

We are in a pack of 6- that has broken away from the rest on the ladder. Geez I hope everyone involved at the club realises that our fantastic work over the past 8-weeks has delivered an opportunity to our doorstep...and a poor effort vs the Suns will really undo a lot of it.

When you are 'up the top' (think 2021) losing stupid games to stupid teams (Hawthorn, Essendon!) really cost us. Let's not be doing that again.

BEAT THE SUNS.
Agree completely with the bolded. Thought that v crows and now GC, want to be wrong again.

Mantis
26-05-2023, 09:24 AM
My amateur instagram detective work is telling me that we apparently caught a PJ to Darwin. Obviously very sick and also doesn’t feel like something that a team who plans on losing would do.

It would be paid for by the AFL given their airline provider rarely flies direct to Darwin from Melbourne, and when it does it gets in very late at night.

ReLoad
26-05-2023, 09:30 AM
It would be paid for by the AFL given their airline provider rarely flies direct to Darwin from Melbourne, and when it does it gets in very late at night.

Plane nerd facts;

The aircraft in question has been used for many different things some good; Antarctic resupply, aid missions in the South Pacific, disaster support, troop movements for the ADF. And some bad; sending refugees/asylum seekers to Nauru, refugees who have been denied asylum, the bombers playing pre season matches interstate.

EasternWest
26-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Plane nerd facts;

The aircraft in question has been used for many different things some good; Antarctic resupply, aid missions in the South Pacific, disaster support, troop movements for the ADF. And some bad; sending refugees/asylum seekers to Nauru, refugees who have been denied asylum, the bombers playing pre season matches interstate.

https://i.postimg.cc/bNZhNDMF/simpsons-nerd.gif (https://postimages.org/)

Mofra
26-05-2023, 10:54 AM
So for the stats nerds: since round 6 we've won 15 quarters of football, 2nd in the comp behind Port Adelaide with 16.

Gold Coast are equal 6th and have been playing good football. They do score well from stoppages which is not surprising as Witts is an excellent tap ruckman and Rowell is an inside beast

westbulldog
26-05-2023, 11:08 AM
My amateur instagram detective work is telling me that we apparently caught a PJ to Darwin. Obviously very sick and also doesn?t feel like something that a team who plans on losing would do.

What is a PJ ?

Grantysghost
26-05-2023, 11:21 AM
What is a PJ ?

Private Jet i guessed.

The bulldog tragician
26-05-2023, 02:00 PM
Private Jet i guessed.

For a moment I had visions of them all arriving in their pyjamas.

kruder
27-05-2023, 12:41 AM
We will be winning this one no doubt, our new found frontal pressure will be too much for suns.

I have bad news however MJP, everyone knows on woof that we will be loosing to the cats. Lock it in.

mjp
27-05-2023, 08:16 AM
We will be winning this one no doubt, our new found frontal pressure will be too much for suns.

I have bad news however MJP, everyone knows on woof that we will be loosing to the cats. Lock it in.

One game at a time. The “we aren’t dumb enough to lose vs the cats” thread can’t be written until the suns are vanquished. I’m buoyed by everyone’s confidence but still feel this is a danger game.

GVGjr
27-05-2023, 09:42 AM
One game at a time. The “we aren’t dumb enough to lose vs the cats” thread can’t be written until the suns are vanquished. I’m buoyed by everyone’s confidence but still feel this is a danger game.

The Suns have a good mix of players and if we aren't switched on we will be in for a difficult night. We have struggled with athletic sides in the past. It shouldn't be a danger game unless we open the door for them.

Mofra
27-05-2023, 10:06 AM
In past seasons, the Carlton game is the one we'd drop.

We're playing worse than some previous seasons, but winning more. It's unchartered territory. Right now, we're one winning quarter behind Port Adelaide as the form side of the competition (since Round 6, 15 quarters won) and we haven't played West Coast or North.

Mofra
27-05-2023, 10:08 AM
The Suns have a good mix of players and if we aren't switched on we will be in for a difficult night. We have struggled with athletic sides in the past. It shouldn't be a danger game unless we open the door for them.
It's one game where JOD may actually have a role if he can sit on Lukosius all game and make his life a misery.
Ballard's intercept marking is elite but I'm confident we have the tall timber to reduce his impact.

Bulldog4life
27-05-2023, 11:30 AM

It is. Suns beat Richmond and Geelong and only lost to Melbourne by 5 points. They're no mugs.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2023, 09:29 PM
If I bump this, does it turn things around for us?

josie
27-05-2023, 11:08 PM
Yep.

The Bulldogs Bite
27-05-2023, 11:12 PM
Here I was thinking we had turned the corner.

Nope.

I could handle losing to an ACTUAL football club, like Adelaide. But no. We lose to Gold Coast.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-05-2023, 11:13 PM
Yep.

No.
We weren't dumb.
They were better in the conditions on the night.

jeemak
28-05-2023, 12:13 AM

Nope.

I could handle losing to an ACTUAL football club, like Adelaide. But no. We lose to Gold Coast.

GCS are actually OK to lose against in those conditions and if you're a bit off. They're middling but can hurt you.

This one was on us, we left our defenders exposed too often and for one of the only times this year, with Jones as an exception, they were off their tucker.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2023, 12:47 AM
Top 3 have a chance to breakaway from the rest now.

As for us, this loss puts us right in the thick of the pack. Just making the 8 will be a fight. We've had a good month but it's where we deserve to be and where I thought we'd be. We aren't a top 4 team. I still think we're a 7-12 type team.

macca
28-05-2023, 11:00 AM
As soon as i saw this thread last week at end of round 10, i had an inkling it was a rhetorical question

We did lose a game to gcs a few years ago

The bulldog tragician
28-05-2023, 11:50 AM
Mjp now needs, for the good of the club and the well-being of all Woofers, to begin a thread with 10 reasons we will lose to Geelong.

Bulldog4life
28-05-2023, 12:20 PM
Mjp now needs, for the good of the club and the well-being of all Woofers, to begin a thread with 10 reasons we will lose to Geelong.

I would like him to start a more positive thread.

Sedat
28-05-2023, 01:59 PM

Nope.

Saints and Melbourne also lost the chance to solidify a top 4 berth yesterday, and both at home.

We are a more robust team defensively this season, notwithstanding yesterday's performance.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2023, 02:04 PM
Saints and Melbourne also lost the chance to solidify a top 4 berth yesterday, and both at home.

We are a most robust team defensively this season, notwithstanding yesterday's performance.

We've just gotta hope last night was the aberration

AshMac
28-05-2023, 05:46 PM
The disappointing thing is it makes either next week or week after must win. I thought Gold Coast played well but gee they got the bounce of the ball. A few exceptional performances by some of their stars but not a better team effort. It?s annoying that we lost on our terms rather than theirs

bulldogsthru&thru
28-05-2023, 06:24 PM
The disappointing thing is it makes either next week or week after must win. I thought Gold Coast played well but gee they got the bounce of the ball. A few exceptional performances by some of their stars but not a better team effort. It?s annoying that we lost on our terms rather than theirs

Yeah I was hoping we'd win 3 out of 4 before the bye with a loss to either cats or Port. Will be tough to get that now. It may well become 1 of 4. Let's see what our response is next week.