PDA

View Full Version : Aker - delivering consistantly in 2008

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 01:45 AM
After a poor season in 2007, Aker is already delivering consistantly in every game this year, and what an impact it has on the team.

I mentioned in pre-season trial matches reports that Aker was displaying that cat-like approach. As we have all seen, he looks much fitter, always looks like he's ready to pounce, is a great finisher, and usually shares the ball.

His approach at the ball is an inspiration to his team mates (he always looks like is trying - great body language), and I believe he has stepped up as a leader (without being in the leadership group), with his on field performances.

Aker has written about his change in weight and having a good pre-season etc. etc. - but, simply, Aker's consistant good form is one reason why the dogs have improved.

The Coon Dog
13-04-2008, 01:50 AM
^^^^^

Agree DD,

His finishing skills, particularly on the run are sublime. How good was his kick from the 50 on Friday night when Johnno & he ran through the centre & he nailed it off one step?

He's kicking important goals when we need them & his creativity brings others into it too. Seems to have a great understanding with Murph.

Amazes me how he kicks goals from extremely tight angles too. I once asked him about that & he said he'll often practice them at training after others have left the track.

1eyedog
13-04-2008, 02:00 AM
That kick from 50 was the Aker of old, no hammy problems there anymore:cool:

ledge
13-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Have you ever noticed he never banana kicks, even on the acute angle he places it on his foot and guides it, like a push not a kick.
As for not being good last year i disagree, every game i went to he seemed to grab it by the neck for a quarter, sometimes he even won us games or started the comeback.
This year he is more consistent has better understanding of our players and game plan. He definitely looks healthier and has better and stronger players around him.
His kicking is definitely longer and i think he is awesome in his approach as to showing kids like Harbrow how dedicated you need to be, after his retirement we will see the ghost of him in some of our younger players i have no doubt.
The best finisher i have ever seen in split second decisions, eg his handball to Minson in the square and yes that kick that has been mentioned in the thread.
Forget his press misdemeaners, all blown out of proportion and its his passion for football that produces those statements, the press just love to make something out of things when they know someone has made a heat of the moment remark.

Sockeye Salmon
13-04-2008, 04:03 AM
When Aker kicks for goal he kicks them high. This forces his leg though straight. Beautiful technique.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Aker has been having a great season so far, lets hope he can keep this up for the rest of the season. If he does continue to play as well as he has. I think he will win the Bulldogs Best and Fairest.

BulldogBelle
13-04-2008, 12:43 PM
When Aker kicks for goal he kicks them high. This forces his leg though straight. Beautiful technique.

He has a great technique kicking for goal - he just seems so confident when he does it - whenever he has the ball and is goalward bound, you just sense that he will do something special.

ledge
13-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Aker has been having a great season so far, lets hope he can keep this up for the rest of the season. If he does continue to play as well as he has. I think he will win the Bulldogs Best and Fairest.
I think you will find whoever wins the best and fairest will have really deserved it because we have some great footballers in our midst who are playing really well at the moment.
Aker is up there for his cleanliness and skills but if it goes on who gets it a lot he will struggle in that department.

LostDoggy
13-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Aker is 'oozing' with confidence, from gaining possession to finishing off, which must spread throughout the team.

As some have already mentioned, he can kick the hard goal or set a goal up, with very little celebrating afterwards. He accepts acknowledgment from the players and the crowd, and then moves into position - very professional.

ledge
13-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I cant talk highly enough of this bloke since he has been at the club, on and maybe more importantly off the field as well. Maybe our biggest recruit and best in years.

lowedog
13-04-2008, 02:32 PM
I love the way, as mentioned he doesnt seem to ever need to bend the footy, or kick bananas. He always manages to keep it spinning like a proper drop punt. Incredibly talented ans agree that his form surely is the barometer for this seasons incredible star. Need to kepp the heads out of the cloud this week. on any given day, we play the way we did for 2 quarters on friday night, we'll drop a game. We don't want that against the tiges.
Ps Anyone see Daniel Hargraves slot 10 for the port Magpies yesterday, in the SANFL. Thats my boy!

bornadog
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Aker is certainly a key to us winning during the finals. He has played in four grand finals and performed exceptionally well.

He has been very consistent this year, although since the Geelong match he tailed off abit but that turned around the past few weeks. This mirrors the whole team.

I think he has been waiting for the finals for awhile now and is going to really turn it on.

Bulldogs_6
02-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Boy will he be the man to watch come this Friday night!

macca
03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Aker has been a fantastic pick up for us. He has shown how flexible and open to new ideas from the coach, by playing different roles in the last few weeks.

He brings other players into the game, and what I have heard of training, he really had helped developed some of the other players.

Bring on the finals, and we can see more of Aker's specccials!