PDA

View Full Version : 3 things learned from Rd 12 2023

GVGjr
02-06-2023, 04:55 PM
Please list the 3 new things you learned from our round 12 match against Geelong.

GVGjr
03-06-2023, 10:25 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
03-06-2023, 10:30 PM
1. We couldn’t hit the side of a barn tonight
2. Libba’s handball to no one and nothing has cost games
3. If my life depended on Bont kicking a goal, I’d probably just bypass the delay and take the bullet
4. McNeil needs to be delisted
5. Gardner is not as ok as I thought
6. Missing easy shots is our thing
7. Geelong own us, we are their bitches
8. We will make up the final 8 if lucky
9. The season is off the rails
10. Not genuine at all
11. Two pick 30’s for a tall ineffective winger seems pricey
12. JOD got a month why?
13. Naughton is not a gun forward - I’d trade him
14. English is a must sign
15. We will never improve goal kicking
16. We will never improve field kicking
17. We lack edge and character
18. We don’t want it enough
19. What do we actually train for
20. This is ego bruising of epic proportions
21. Where is Bevo?
22. All this talent and where are we headed?
23. JUH was a gun kick at goal. A few years in our system and he’s 50/50 at best

The Bulldogs Bite
03-06-2023, 11:11 PM
1. I want Bevo out. Selections are awful, our skills have actually got worse over the journey, and the only motivating he's doing is pushing me not to turn up to any more games.

2. Our forward half is abysmal.

3. Bevos new pet project bares the same predictable results. JOD might be OK in the future, but not now. Meanwhile players like Khamis are rotting. If we aren't going to play Khamis WHY is he on the list?

whythelongface
03-06-2023, 11:14 PM
1. Naughton isn’t a great forward. Needs to go back.
2. Our forward line is way too crowded with too many players going for marks. This leads to continuous turnovers - so predictable and frustrating.
3. Our depth is crap and we have very few options. Keath for Gardner. Poulter for O’Donnell. Clutching at straws.

macca
03-06-2023, 11:15 PM
1. We just making up the numbers. Our ugly system of playing is worst than our bad. The gap is not 5 goals, its us losing our guts and letting team kick 7-8 goals on the run . its happened several times now. I am afraid I might break my phone or a TV or 2...
Gardner game is way off from where he was last year. His hesitating and losing that body contact with his opponent. IS he injured or afraid to go hard to avoid injury ?

Baker was awful tonight, but he was not alone in making terrible decisions. He just looked slow with his mistakes .

the good, bad and the ugle is our game style.

2. We need to cut deep. McNeil should not be on our list next year. He can't kick, can't take a mark. I see Miers, who is leading the comp for inside 50. Has a terrible kicking action, knows his game( only does 30 m kicks), runs his guts off and applies a contest.
McComb, West, McLean, Raak, Buku, Hannan, if none of these guys can get a half dozen game this season , we should delist them all. I know its harsh, but I don't see us improving with some of these guys on our list for years.

There were a dozen players picked in the midseason draft this week, surely some of them could show better disposal than our team tonight ?

3. Can we please work on our forward craft , like get a proper fwd coach? Crumbing, scenarios for drop of the ball. Apply heaps of forward pressure ? Get Eddie betts down at the club please and teach these guys this . Our forwards are not natural forwards, they are absolutely indept at picking the best option. That weightman kick in the 2nd quarter to the goal square when scott was free was a prime example.

Naughton is not a natural forward, his one dimesnional.

JUH lead hard all night , but just did not get the marks inside 50 to convert.

I don't want to blitch anymore... but tonight was a good example of where our holes are on our list and when the players are just poor across the team.

Its really disappointing to see the team give up.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2023, 11:44 PM
1. Our best footy tonight was great. A few great passages of play early looked sharp and even a few slow plays carved right through Geelong’s zone.

2. We play to the oppositions standard. It wouldn’t matter if we played WC or Collingwood, we would likely be close- but our goal kicking is going to keep stopping us getting over the line. We would have ended GC by quarter time, beaten the Crows by 100, and still beaten Geelong if we could tidy it up.

3. The AFL hate us. Why tf didn’t we get the bye after Darwin? Almost nobody wins after playing up there and we looked completely gassed in the last quarter. I knew if it was close at 3/4 we were screwed and so it was.

Bonus one: Let’s see if there is the same uproar in the umpiring inconsistencies tonight as there was last week. They slaughtered us time and time again at key moments.

westbulldog
03-06-2023, 11:56 PM
1. We need a big bodied CHB.
2. We need a goalkicking coach but the club is oblivious to that.
3. We do not need McNeil.

I will add another - whoever the forward line coach is should be terminated.

Boots
04-06-2023, 12:00 AM
I didn’t learn anything tonight. I’ve seen all the problems before. I know I said the same thing last week but it was true then too. Last week we let Matt Rowell do what Christian petracca did to us in the 2021 gf, and this week we just played like we always do against Geelong. It’s like clockwork. Players are good, but the system is bad, real bad. We stopped the rot for a few weeks but it’s back.

Scorlibo
04-06-2023, 12:07 AM
1. Our best footy tonight was great. A few great passages of play early looked sharp and even a few slow plays carved right through Geelong’s zone.

2. We play to the oppositions standard. It wouldn’t matter if we played WC or Collingwood, we would likely be close- but our goal kicking is going to keep stopping us getting over the line. We would have ended GC by quarter time, beaten the Crows by 100, and still beaten Geelong if we could tidy it up.

3. The AFL hate us. Why tf didn’t we get the bye after Darwin? Almost nobody wins after playing up there and we looked completely gassed in the last quarter. I knew if it was close at 3/4 we were screwed and so it was.

Bonus one: Let’s see if there is the same uproar in the umpiring inconsistencies tonight as there was last week. They slaughtered us time and time again at key moments.

You've nailed it. The first point might be hard to see right now, but it's true - some of our ball movement tonight was the best it's been all season. I thought the Cats lifted their intensity in the second half and defended the ground incredibly well, and things started to fall apart for us, but we should have gone into half time with a 3 goal lead. A combination of poor conversion and deplorable umpiring kept them in the game.

Bulldog4life
04-06-2023, 11:26 AM
1. The miss by McNeil was disgraceful.

2. Geelong were too good when it mattered although their free kicks in front of goal were tiggy touchwood.

3. We are not a top 4 team rather a 6 to 12 team.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 11:29 AM
1. The miss by McNeil was disgraceful.

2. Geelong were too good when it mattered although their free kicks in front of goal were tiggy touchwood.

3. We are not a top 4 team rather a 6 to 12 team.

#blamethesub :D

GVGjr
04-06-2023, 11:34 AM
Not necessarily learned but confirmed

1 - The forward line hasn't quite clicked yet. With Weightman not the force he was in the previous 2 years and with Arty losing a bit of poise in the last couple of weeks having to move Scott to the back line really didn't help us last night.

2 - My appreciation for what Adam Treloar brings us has grown. That goal last night was fantastic.

3 - Poor goal kicking conversions is really a dagger to the heart and a momentum killer. Nail one or two of those shots at critical times last night and we win that game.

kruder
04-06-2023, 11:36 AM

Id suggest our ball movement improved and our defence suffered off the back of it. I just went and watched the highlights again and was at the ground but how many cheap goals did we give up by lacking that extra care of not allowing the ball out the back.

We dared Geelong to win that game last night, the lack of care and attention to detail was the reason we lost it.

kruder
04-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Id suggest our ball movement improved and our defence suffered off the back of it. I just went and watched the highlights again and was at the ground but how many cheap goals did we give up by lacking that extra care of not allowing the ball out the back.

edited previous post

SonofScray
04-06-2023, 11:44 AM
1. I learned that I just want to go to the footy and see a team really offer me some hope. I want to be in the thick of it, fired up and full of dread and anticipation when there is a kick in it against a rival like the Muffler Shaggers. And I wasn’t. I’m not. I don’t believe in this group at all. They’ve whittled it away and whilst the talent is there, the hope is not. Bevo has sucked it dry.

2. Medallion club seats are lower than the normal ones. Was hard going nursing a torn meniscus! Give me LVL 3 with fellow plebs every day of the week.Did appreciate the different perspective from down lower though.

3. McNeill can join Hannan in the shouldn’t be playing again group. Stuck in the mud. Slowest fast bloke in footy.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 11:59 AM
#blamethesub :D

Boots
04-06-2023, 02:17 PM
1. I learned that I just want to go to the footy and see a team really offer me some hope. I want to be in the thick of it, fired up and full of dread and anticipation when there is a kick in it against a rival like the Muffler Shaggers. And I wasn’t. I’m not. I don’t believe in this group at all. They’ve whittled it away and whilst the talent is there, the hope is not. Bevo has sucked it dry.

this is the problem! I watched the Geelong supporters around me get happier and happier as the game wore on, but they never looked as unhappy as the dogs supporters did, even when they were losing.

I don’t need the team to win all the time, but I’d like to have some faith they could that wasn’t so comprehensively shattered by the manner of the losses.

azabob
04-06-2023, 02:21 PM
Not necessarily learned but confirmed

1 - The forward line hasn't quite clicked yet. With Weightman not the force he was in the previous 2 years and with Arty losing a bit of poise in the last couple of weeks having to move Scott to the back line really didn't help us last night.

Our forward half connection has been an issue for 18 months. Are we incapable on field or in the coaches box?

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 03:07 PM
Our forward half connection has been an issue for 18 months. Are we incapable on field or in the coaches box?

Depends if the coaches want four players flying in the same pack, for the same mark, spoiling each other and allowing the ball to slingshot back out.

D Mitchell
04-06-2023, 03:14 PM
1. The Club should look seriously at revising its long standing policy of numbers of behinds exceeding numbers of goals.
2. Pepperjack's sponsorship is already returning it big dividends, $14.50 for a small glass.
3. The second row of seats in the super boxes are designed for giants with short thighs.

DOG GOD
04-06-2023, 04:22 PM
Depends if the coaches want four players flying in the same pack, for the same mark, spoiling each other and allowing the ball to slingshot back out.

Who’s our fwd coach again? Oh that’s right….surely some responsibility comes on him. ?

D Mitchell
04-06-2023, 04:38 PM
Who’s our fwd coach again? Oh that’s right….surely some responsibility comes on him. ?

I doubt that Spanger trains
(a) 3 - 4 talls to congregate in the goal mouth and fly for the same ball;
(b) same 3-4 to jog around whilst Geelong's defenders and mids waltzed the ball out of F50 from yet another spill from a pack with no front and centre or crumbers wearing red, white, blue.
Our forward talls haven't learned that their job does not stop when they don't take mark of the year speccie. At least Weightman appears to have adjusted his game to a more appropriate role.

westdog54
04-06-2023, 07:24 PM
1. You've had a good night when your direct opponent gets subbed out of the game.

2. Artie Jones needs a rest and we shouldn't wait for the bye.

3. I can't see McNeil being on our list next year.

Bonus. My 13yo daughter now refers to Richards and Baker as the 'Creepy redhead twins', with bonus creepy points for Cameron Long interviewing Ed at half time.

AshMac
05-06-2023, 08:35 AM
1. If Bont is injured don?t play him. I?d much prefer a fit Bont for the second half of the year than one limping over the line each week

2. We?ll never win another premiership missing set shots from <35m out infront (repeatedly)

3. I don?t ever want to see Tim O?Brien in our AFL side again

Mofra
05-06-2023, 08:45 AM
1. Our 'stars' are below par set shots on goal... but the fringe guys will cop the blame

2. The MC will persist with a 'too tall' side until they've exhausted all options to avoid the obvious

3. Anthony Scott is far more important to this team than many give him credit for.
Need a small forward? He's been our best for a month. Need a wing? Fills the role for the first month of the year. Lose a small defender? Back he goes. Very handy selection for a virtual freebie. Contract offer now please.

Mantis
05-06-2023, 09:26 AM
1/ It’s important to have players in our team who can run & carry the ball, but if you can’t execute a 20-30m pass more often than not you lose your importance real quick… looking at you Baz & Oskar.

2/ The only thing holding the Truck back from being a top 5 wingman in the comp is his goal kicking… getting lots of good looks, but it’s more miss than hit at present.

3/ Ball security is really important in the modern game and whether its indiscriminate handballs (hey Libba) or poor field kicking (most of the team) it’s costing us badly.

SonofScray
05-06-2023, 12:40 PM
1/ It’s important to have players in our team who can run & carry the ball, but if you can’t execute a 20-30m pass more often than not you lose your importance real quick… looking at you Baz & Oskar.

2/ The only thing holding the Truck back from being a top 5 wingman in the comp is his goal kicking… getting lots of good looks, but it’s more miss than hit at present.

3/ Ball security is really important in the modern game and whether its indiscriminate handballs (hey Libba) or poor field kicking (most of the team) it’s costing us badly.

ironically with Truck, he's the player I'd choose to kick for my life, I think.

Grantysghost
05-06-2023, 12:48 PM
ironically with Truck, he's the player I'd choose to kick for my life, I think.

You clearly have a death wish!

JanLorMill
05-06-2023, 02:11 PM
3. Anthony Scott is far more important to this team than many give him credit for.
Need a small forward? He's been our best for a month. Need a wing? Fills the role for the first month of the year. Lose a small defender? Back he goes. Very handy selection for a virtual freebie. Contract offer now please.
I honestly don’t know what Scott did on Saturday. Very inconspicuous. Someone in the game thread said he was tagging Stewart, well that didn’t work

Matjoh
05-06-2023, 03:17 PM
I can't add much more to the 99% of comments I 100% agree with, and would like to repeat all of them but will repeat the two that irk me the most, well besides the shit kicking and substandard players on our list, anyway I'll repeat Boots - I didn’t learn anything tonight. I’ve seen ​all the problems before. I said it last game and it applies to many games, and on it goes. Also Scorlibo - the Cats lifted their intensity in the second half and things started to fall apart for us, Again, in most games we lose or should have won by more - apply pressure in field and/or scoreboard and we fall apart. No composure, mentally weak