PDA

View Full Version : Naughton or Pick 1

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:07 PM
So GVGjr says there was scuttlebutt in Darwin of WCE offering Pick 1 for Naughton. With Pick 1 some calling the next Dustin Martin. I?d not heard this rumour until 15 minutes ago.

For shits and giggles. Keep Naughton on a longer more expensive deal, or trade him out and get Jordan Croft as a KPF replacement (with Darcy, Lobb, Bruce & Marra) and add the next Dusty to the midfield? And rebuild spending the cash in other players.

angelopetraglia
04-06-2023, 12:13 PM
Don't even need to think about that one. Take Harley Reid and run. We need another young gun mid, when you consider we have Marra, Darcy and possibly Croft developing.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:14 PM
Don't even need to think about that one. Take Harley Reid and run. We need another young gun mid, when you consider we have Marra, Darcy and possibly Croft developing.

Croft with 15 goals in his last four games. Plus a year of Bruce and two of Lobb. Previous club leading goal kickers.

SonofScray
04-06-2023, 12:14 PM
I’ve said keep Naughty, reflexively, but I’d probably do it because of Darcy/Marra coming through and the fact we’ve sat in limbo for a while without access to that type of pick beyond a few fortunate rules.

Rocco Jones
04-06-2023, 12:31 PM
Impossible to do in isolation. Footy is largely about morale/group dynamics and if we trade away a loved member of the club and make it seem like it was our decision, it could hurt us badly.

If he was happy to go, I'd be happy with Reid.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:35 PM
Impossible to do in isolation. Footy is largely about morale/group dynamics and if we trade away a loved member of the club and make it seem like it was our decision, it could hurt us badly.

Yeah, I’m thinking (based on the rumour) WCE go full stupid and offer him $1.2M every year until he retires and we say we can’t get close to it Aaron. Plus WCE don’t muck around and offer at least Pick 1 straight up. And it looks like a win to all sides (if you see it as a win of course).

Mofra
04-06-2023, 12:36 PM
I say keep Naughton.
What if we sold the farm for Boyd and moved up from 4 to 1 as many wanted us to do? Bont + change for Tom Boyd would be a terrible deal right now.

He's our best avenue to goal despite his kicking woes, and possibly our next captain.

GVGjr
04-06-2023, 12:38 PM
So GVGjr says there was scuttlebutt in Darwin of WCE offering Pick 1 for Naughton. With Pick 1 some calling the next Dustin Martin. I?d not heard this rumour until 15 minutes ago.

For shits and giggles. Keep Naughton on a longer more expensive deal, or trade him out and get Jordan Croft as a KPF replacement (with Darcy, Lobb, Bruce & Marra) and add the next Dusty to the midfield? And rebuild spending the cash in other players.

My gut feel, and please remember I dismissed this talk, but I would imagine West Coast would want something else coming back to them. Reid is an excellent player and it could be a player and a pick they would want.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:38 PM
I say keep Naughton.
What if we sold the farm for Boyd and moved up from 4 to 1 as many wanted us to do? Bont + change for Tom Boyd would be a terrible deal right now.

He's our best avenue to goal despite his kicking woes, and possibly our next captain.

Croad for Luke Hodge is the counter trade scenario.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 12:39 PM
My gut feel, and please remember I dismissed this talk, but I would imagine West Coast would want something else coming back to them. Reid is an excellent player and it could be a player and a pick they would want.

Would you? What would you offer back?

Mofra
04-06-2023, 12:44 PM
Croad for Luke Hodge is the counter trade scenario.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-hawthorn-hawks--trent-croad
Based on his 2001 season, I can't agree. Ave 13 disposals and 1.1 goals per game.
Luke McPharlin also went to Freo as part of that deal too for pick 1 - another top 10 pick.

Naughton this year is doing far more than Croad ever did, let alone the intangibles (bringing the ball to ground, attacking the contest in the air, defensive pressure, etc).

mjp
04-06-2023, 12:44 PM
We should not trade Aaron Naughton.

How anyone would/could think that is a good idea has me completely dumbfounded. He is a tall marking forward who is 100% committed every game, seems to be a terrific leader (on and off the field) and loves the club.

We are going to swap him for a kid - a midfielder - who may or may not become an AFL player? How many #1 overall draft picks have played in a premiership with the side that drafted them again? Is the number ZERO? Pretty sure it is.

Why rip apart the club and the playing group for a 'maybe'??

GVGjr
04-06-2023, 12:49 PM
Would you? What would you offer back?

My guess is they would want one of our first rounders and that would shut that talk right down.
We know Naughtons a gun player albeit it with some kicking challenges and we suspect Reid will be a very good player but not 100% sure.
I'd stick with Naughton and truth be told it's a very easy decision.

kruder
04-06-2023, 12:53 PM
Only if Naughty wants to go home.

Topdog
04-06-2023, 12:56 PM
If he requests it we have to do whats best long term for the footy club and accept. If he doesnt request it dont even mention it to him. Without him we look lost all over the park.

kruder
04-06-2023, 12:58 PM
If he requests it we have to do whats best long term for the footy club and accept. If he doesnt request it dont even mention it to him. Without him we look lost all over the park.

Yeah let's be honest the players have the power these days. The kid has done a lot of heavy lifting for us and you can tell he is loved by his teammates.

JanLorMill
04-06-2023, 01:07 PM
We push Naughton out then we expect English to stay? Vice versa too. They need to want to move without us promoting it.

Scorlibo
04-06-2023, 01:17 PM
For how many years on this forum have we bemoaned not having a genuine key forward target? Now we have that player, a proven contested marking beast, always gives a contest in the air, just about the best in the business in that facet of the game AND he's only 23 years of age.

He's also been on a clear trajectory towards becoming a more complete player. He is now our best pressure forward, and I'd have thought probably the best pressure key forward in the competition. In 2021 he scored nearly all his goals from set shots, in 2022 he flipped that record on its head and scored mainly from general play. He's been developing and his best football, where he puts all that together, is ahead of him.

Beyond his personal contributions, outwardly it seems like he's our best young leader, and could be a future captain of the club.

I understand the arguments around a potentially clogged forward line, but Lobb is towards the end of his career and JUH/Darcy are young players who might never reach the same level as Naughton. There are no guarantees there. I wouldn't be opposed to Naughton training down back again over the pre-season to give us that option, but for me it's a wait and see on JUH and Darcy to pull the trigger.

Funke disco
04-06-2023, 01:28 PM

Love this answer. Something that is never considered in these hypotheticals.

I love him and would not want him to leave, there would be weekends where it would hurt us, games where we would say.... "if only we had Naughton" I also think that by the time West Coast are challenging again and he could directly hurt us in big games Marra, Darcy and Croft will be a few years older too. Having Harley Reid would make it easier (losing him) and solidify our midfield going forward.

AshMac
04-06-2023, 01:36 PM
Do the trade if they?ll take it and he wants to go. Nothing more than a straight swap

Don?t push him out due to team dynamic.

It?s a risk based on an unseen player at AFL level vs a known quantity but the level of rigour on the draft these days I reckon is worth it

EasternWest
04-06-2023, 02:09 PM

FANTASTIC talking point, BT.

But no from me. Although with Croft coming along I AM coming around to the Naughton back talk. Slowly.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-06-2023, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't trade him if he wants to stay. But if he's keen to go home next year we should shop early.

meenies
04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Sign English for life first before any other consideration.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 03:56 PM
Side question. Say Naughton wants over $1M, which could be in play if he?s on the $850,000 Jon Ralph reckons he?s on. So say the price tag to keep him locked away is $1M to $1.1M.

What do we expect of Naughton for our money? Gun CHB? Gun FF who kicks what? 40, 50, 60 or 70 goals a year. That?s 10% if our salary cap. So I?m curious what woofers expect for this investment.

jeemak
04-06-2023, 06:34 PM
I voted to take the trade and move on, but it comes with a couple of caveats in that I would only do so if he fails to commit before the end of this season to a long term deal and that his salary demands are hyper inflated.

My fear is we won't be able to compete with what he could get elsewhere, and I'd prefer to trade with relative leverage this year.

Won't be starting a thread on it just yet.

Grantysghost
04-06-2023, 06:39 PM
Take pick 1 this year.

Reid could be Bont and Naughton is a jack of all trades master of none.

Bullies
04-06-2023, 08:12 PM
I wouldn't trade him if he wants to stay. But if he's keen to go home next year we should shop early. By all accounts he loves the club and Victoria. He was brought up here until he was 13. If he wants to stay we owe it to him.

Bullies
04-06-2023, 08:14 PM
Take pick 1 this year.

Reid could be Bont and Naughton is a jack of all trades master of none. Naughton is only 23 and will get better. We have done the hard yards and deserve to reap the rewards.

angelopetraglia
04-06-2023, 09:12 PM
Robbo in the Tackle.

AARON NAUGHTON

He’s on a slow burn to superstardom and this season can best be described as tantalising without delivering. He’s played 12 games and kicked 22 goals. Yes, he brings the ball to ground and he competes in the air and he takes the opposition’s best defender, but 22 goals from 12 outings? Air Naughton was supposed to launch this year after consecutive seasons of 47 and 51 goals. Sixty goals beckoned for the 23-year-old, but it’s not panning out. His past four matches have returned 1.1, 1.2, 1.1 and 1.3. Naughton’s record against top eight teams is 1.2 (Melbourne), 2.2 (St Kilda), 1.0 (Brisbane), 1.0 (Port Adelaide) and 1.1 against the Cats. On Saturday night, he only had two touches in the second half from 25 entries from his teammates. Am trying not to drown you with stats, but there’s one more. Naughton has been targeted 77 times this year and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan 63 times. The ball retention rate is 46 per cent for JUH and 38 per cent for Naughton, which rates Naughton No. 37 of players targeted inside 50. I rated him, I think, fourth key forward behind Charlie Curnow, Jeremy Cameron and Tom Hawkins in the pre-season Top 50, and he’s not at that level. It could change in the second half of the season, and it must if the Bulldogs are to win the premiership. For what’s worth, No. 1 for retaining the ball is Jeremy Cameron, No. 2 is Jye Amiss and No. 3 is Kyle Langford.

Grantysghost
04-06-2023, 09:16 PM
Marra is a more natural forward.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 09:30 PM
Marra is a more natural forward.

What is it The Wolfe says, ‘just because you are a character, doesn’t mean you have character’.

Just because Naughton plays forward, doesn’t mean he is a forward. It’s just where his magnet is.

Grantysghost
04-06-2023, 10:00 PM
What is it The Wolfe says, ‘just because you are a character, doesn’t mean you have character’.

Just because Naughton plays forward, doesn’t mean he is a forward. It’s just where his magnet is.

I just saw your signature..
Gold.

bulldogtragic
04-06-2023, 10:07 PM
I just saw your signature..
Gold.

I like to embrace things… :D

soupman
05-06-2023, 12:12 AM
We are not a big club, yet we have a bunch of big/potential big name players. We aren't in the position other clubs are in being able to offer off field deals.

Under no circumstances would I be encouraging a narrative within our playing group that this is just a business and that you should only look out for yourself. We are naturally going to lose a couple who think they can get more hot pockets elsewhere, but instigating it breaches any undercurrent of loyalty and sacrifice we can try to instill in our group to help retain them.

We are not the club to attract free agents, so why set about making our free agents more open to moving?

If Naughton asks for the trade, pick 1 is pretty good compensation. No way am I making an unforced gamble on a kid at the cost of not only maybe the most talented kpp I the league, but also one who seems to love the club, is a great character and role model, and who seems hugely popular within the playing group.

Besides on a different level football is about more than just the numbers, it's meant to be fun and romantic and all that. Stuff like this might look good on paper but I don't love the club and game because of how it looks on paper. I love it for the moments it provides, the connections it builds and the stories it tells. We bemoan the AFL media for being focused in all the wrong things, but if you endorse this (hypothetical) move then aren't you just buying into the cynical and cold content of the league?

bornadog
05-06-2023, 01:43 AM
We are not a big club, yet we have a bunch of big/potential big name players. We aren't in the position other clubs are in being able to offer off field deals.

Under no circumstances would I be encouraging a narrative within our playing group that this is just a business and that you should only look out for yourself. We are naturally going to lose a couple who think they can get more hot pockets elsewhere, but instigating it breaches any undercurrent of loyalty and sacrifice we can try to instill in our group to help retain them.

We are not the club to attract free agents, so why set about making our free agents more open to moving?

If Naughton asks for the trade, pick 1 is pretty good compensation. No way am I making an unforced gamble on a kid at the cost of not only maybe the most talented kpp I the league, but also one who seems to love the club, is a great character and role model, and who seems hugely popular within the playing group.

Besides on a different level football is about more than just the numbers, it's meant to be fun and romantic and all that. Stuff like this might look good on paper but I don't love the club and game because of how it looks on paper. I love it for the moments it provides, the connections it builds and the stories it tells. We bemoan the AFL media for being focused in all the wrong things, but if you endorse this (hypothetical) move then aren't you just buying into the cynical and cold content of the league?

Great Post.

AshMac
05-06-2023, 09:09 AM

I love the big moments of games too
- particularly live - they are a key reason you go to the footy and Naughts up close is magnificent.

I love premierships more though and I don?t see him as the key forward to get us there, nor do I see Bevo sensible enough to put him in the position he?d be a 5x AA if he?d played his career there.

I think we desperately need the next guard of midfield dominance. We have the best in the competition IMO in his peak with 3 years tops of dominance left. Who comes in next?

It?s worth a shot - but only if he wants it. Not to
Push him out.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2023, 09:14 AM

Good post. It was just a rumour someone heard. If he wanted to leave, yep, I’d absolutely consider it. If he wants $1M+ I’d consider saying no to his request too. I’m not sure the money required to keep him is a good investment right this second. I’d want top 3 Coleman finishes of status as the best KPD for that kind of cash. Looking at return on investment isn’t sexy and is business minded, but if he wants 10% of our salary cap then a discussion around his ability to deliver is fair game. If he wants to stay in the same money, it’s probably a no brainer. If he wants a mega deal from a club with Pick 1, well as per the OP, for shits and giggles what do we all think.

I’ve liked the range of responses, including yours.

ledge
05-06-2023, 01:04 PM
Good post. It was just a rumour someone heard. If he wanted to leave, yep, I’d absolutely consider it. If he wants $1M+ I’d consider saying no to his request too. I’m not sure the money required to keep him is a good investment right this second. I’d want top 3 Coleman finishes of status as the best KPD for that kind of cash. Looking at return on investment isn’t sexy and is business minded, but if he wants 10% of our salary cap then a discussion around his ability to deliver is fair game. If he wants to stay in the same money, it’s probably a no brainer. If he wants a mega deal from a club with Pick 1, well as per the OP, for shits and giggles what do we all think.

I’ve liked the range of responses, including yours.

Adding more intrigue is you can also front load or back load contracts to suit your salary cap .
I would not trade him. He would probably kick 100 a season with the right delivery and game plan , that’s what we need to fix more importantly than trading him. You could get Lockett and even he would struggle with our delivery into it .

Ozza
05-06-2023, 03:56 PM
At this stage, we're never going to find out how good he could be because he's being played at the wrong end of the ground.
Meanwhile, he's in a constantly congested forward line with 2,3 and 4 team mates flying with him every time.

1eyedog
06-06-2023, 12:44 AM
Football is a business and our business is Premierships. I want some and I don't particularly care about the fun the romance, the connections, the stories et al. I want Premierships. I'm sick of settling for less.

We've focused on fabric stuff forever and a day and keep missing the boat every September. Romance is for the romantics give me Premierships and whatever it takes to get one.

The team needs a hard edge not one full of players that crack it if they're moved from their primary position. If a player needs to leave to help win a Premiership I'm all for it. The idea of a vision towards a Premiership is plenty motivation the players will get over it quick enough.

This club has a habit of retaining the wrong players for too long for the wrong reasons. The old days are gone. There is too much at stake. To each other they are mates and employees end of story. Look at so-called leader and favourite team mate Dosh Junkley. That's the excepted norm. Jordon Sweet doesn't even know who Scott Wynd is.

I'm not advocating we sell Naughton to the Cokers but every player except our Captain and probably English now should be discussed in terms of how to maximise our return. Retain or trade.

We need another Premiership, bad, and we can't keep dicking around with this list.

D Mitchell
06-06-2023, 12:59 AM
Naughton's a giant, surrounded by dwarfs.

FrediKanoute
06-06-2023, 01:43 AM
If we had the balls, I would trade Naughts for the Harley Reid and try to squeeze another player out of WCE.

We wont though, but gee it would be a ballsy move!

bornadog
06-06-2023, 01:58 AM
So a number one proven key player who is only 23 years old, yet to hit peak and kicked 50 plus each of the last two years and will this year, for an unknown kid who has never played AFL.

I think posters have rocks in their head

EasternWest
06-06-2023, 08:59 AM
So a number one proven key player who is only 23 years old, yet to hit peak and kicked 50 plus each of the last two years and will this year, for an unknown kid who has never played AFL.

I think posters have rocks in their head

Everyone's tradable. Except Bont.

That being said, the only way I'd trade Naughton is if he requested one. I'd feel the same way about any player. If they want to leave that's fine, as facilitate it and get the best deal.

If he doesn't want to leave, then it's a no deal.

soupman
06-06-2023, 09:36 AM
Does this conversation change if you attach the name of a very good pick 1 who we have seen play AFL to it?

Harley Reid may very well be a star, but Sam Walsh and Matt Rowell arguably already are. They also both had huge hype prior to their drafting (maybe not Walsh quite as much), and were the standouts in their class. Pick 1 often turns out to be less than promised, so I'd argue that given the option of pick 1 or "proven pick 1 who is actually what is promised and is still super young" you should always pick the latter. But I think that plays with perceptions alot.

If you'd trade Naughton for pick 1 but you wouldn't trade him for Walsh or Rowell then I'd question whether you actually think pick 1 will make us better and also I'd suggest you're more in love with the mystery box aspect of the draft than the likely best case scenario.

Kind of like this scene from Family Guy.
West Coast "So Mr Power, you can have the Aaron Naughton...Or this mystery box "
Bevo "thanks but we will take the Aaron Na..."
Power "Hold on a minute Bevo. A Naughton is a Naughton but a mystery box could be anything...it could even be an Aaron Naughton! We'll take the mystery box".

G-Mo77
06-06-2023, 10:17 AM
Everyone's tradable. Except Bont.

That being said, the only way I'd trade Naughton is if he requested one. I'd feel the same way about any player. If they want to leave that's fine, as facilitate it and get the best deal.

If he doesn't want to leave, then it's a no deal.

We'll lose one of English and Naughton to the Eagles. It's going to really hurt losing one of them but they're a good trade partner with a very high pick. With Darcy and JUH coming through we could possibly cover them and maybe bandaid until they're ready to cover. One thing I don't want is to lose a player like that for a horrible return like the Dunkley deal.

Scraggers
06-06-2023, 11:44 AM
We'll lose one of English and Naughton to the Eagles. It's going to really hurt losing one of them but they're a good trade partner with a very high pick. With Darcy and JUH coming through we could possibly cover them and maybe bandaid until they're ready to cover. One thing I don't want is to lose a player like that for a horrible return like the Dunkley deal.

If that is the case, and I'm not exactly sure it is, then I choose Naughton to leave over English. But I actually believe we can keep both.

I think the problem is not having Juh and Naughts in the forward line together, I think they are being played out of position. I watched JUH against Suns and Geelong, he is a true lead-up forward, Naughton is not. Naughton can crash a pack and hold marks like no one I've seen in a long time. He should be playing at CHF or HF and JUH should solely be out of the goal square. Let him use his aerobic ability and roam the centre square, play back when we need him and forward when we need. Let Naughton follow the ball more than just playing forward.

Space should be made for JUH to be that lead-up forward. Bont hitting him laces-out is a sight to behold.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Whilst started for shits and giggles on that rumour, I’m quite surprised nearly 40% would trade Naughton. I thought he’d be more ‘sacred cow’ to the mega fans. Or is there more pragmatism about a juicy trade?

mjp
06-06-2023, 12:10 PM
We'll lose one of English and Naughton to the Eagles.

Why would they go there? They're getting BELTED. That is ZERO FUN.

hujsh
06-06-2023, 12:10 PM
If that is the case, and I'm not exactly sure it is, then I choose Naughton to leave over English. But I actually believe we can keep both.

I think the problem is not having Juh and Naughts in the forward line together, I think they are being payed out of position. I watched JUH against Suns and Geelong, he is a true lead-up forward, Naughton is not. Naughton can crash a pack and hold marks like no one I've seen in a long time. He should be playing at CHF or HF and JUH should solely be out of the goal square. Let him use his aerobic ability and roam the centre square, play back when we need him and forward when we need. Let him follow the ball ore than just playing forward.

Space should be made for JUH to be that lead-up forward. Bont hitting him laces-out is a sight to behold.

I like this idea. The best defenders manage to block and scrag Naughton to prevent him from launching at the ball. Give him space to roam outside the 50 where that will be more difficult. Let Lobb and JUH do the leading. When there's time Naughton can double back and be the 3rd man up which suits his marking much more.

Rocco Jones
06-06-2023, 01:26 PM

Our fans are fearful? Fans can overrate how into money players are?

AFL is generally pretty 'loyal' I think. Despite 'loyalty is dead' claims, vast majority of guys a club truly want, stay. Clubs don't tend to trade players as it can really rip into morale. Unlike NBA, you will never see us trading Naughton if he wants to stay. Or you should never see us in the current climate.

Playing for the Eagles seems to absolutely suck at the moment. If players are happy otherwise, Dogs easy-ish sell to be at least ok onfield and still going to be on good money.

Boots
06-06-2023, 02:28 PM
I do not want naughton to become another Dunkley, and go to another team where he can immediately fit into their system with better balance, and immediately elevate them to premiership contention.

It’s absolutely our turn to get, rather than give away, a star like that.

And this is regardless of how much Naughton annoys me, which is a lot. He’s the highest-quality bad player we have on our list by a long margin. He demonstrates qualities you’d kill for (mark-taking, ground ball game, second efforts, tackles) but they’re all rendered useless by poor kicking. Frustrating beyond all reason. But we absolutely should not trade him unless there is no other choice.

mjp
06-06-2023, 02:38 PM
Playing for the Eagles seems to absolutely suck at the moment. If players are happy otherwise, Dogs easy-ish sell to be at least ok onfield and still going to be on good money.

Look at the scores for the WAFL team...

They are getting BELTED across the board. It would be ZERO fun.

Players are 100% into money but Naughton and English will do OK wherever they go. It isn't like we have a young Cal Ward getting paid $500k overs...this isn't that situation...I'm sure they'll get a bit more, but...

Also: Tim isn't from Perth. He's from Lake Freaking Grace a 4-hour drive away. Aaron isn't from Perth. He's from Rockingham which is still somewhere in the 1970's via Frankston. We aren't talking about a couple of kids from Wembley here who grew up rolling down to Subiaco Oval every week to watch West Coast play...Sure, they would have been on TV but WA is a big place and being from WA is not the same as being from Perth. And sure, a 4-hour drive is easier than a 4-hour plane ride THEN a 4-hour drive but it isn't like it's next door....

G-Mo77
06-06-2023, 02:58 PM

I just get a feeling they'll make one of those massive overs offers which we cannot match. Tim, I'm more concerned about as he signed a short term deal which brings him right up until his free agency eligibility.

Dogs 24/7
06-06-2023, 03:37 PM
I just get a feeling they'll make one of those massive overs offers which we cannot match. Tim, I'm more concerned about as he signed a short term deal which brings him right up until his free agency eligibility.

Im not concerned because if he wants to be genuinely successful we are a more attractive club than the Coasters for the next few years at least.

Dogs 24/7
06-06-2023, 03:38 PM

Thats the way I see it. You may as well go to North.

Scraggers
06-06-2023, 03:56 PM
Look at the scores for the WAFL team...

They are getting BELTED across the board. It would be ZERO fun.

Players are 100% into money but Naughton and English will do OK wherever they go. It isn't like we have a young Cal Ward getting paid $500k overs...this isn't that situation...I'm sure they'll get a bit more, but...

Also: Tim isn't from Perth. He's from Lake Freaking Grace a 4-hour drive away. Aaron isn't from Perth. He's from Rockingham which is still somewhere in the 1970's via Frankston. We aren't talking about a couple of kids from Wembley here who grew up rolling down to Subiaco Oval every week to watch West Coast play...Sure, they would have been on TV but WA is a big place and being from WA is not the same as being from Perth. And sure, a 4-hour drive is easier than a 4-hour plane ride THEN a 4-hour drive but it isn't like it's next door....

I hate to correct you Mike as you have forgotten more about footy than I'll ever know ... but the Big Easy is from Freakin Pingelly not LG.

FrediKanoute
06-06-2023, 06:14 PM
I like this idea. The best defenders manage to block and scrag Naughton to prevent him from launching at the ball. Give him space to roam outside the 50 where that will be more difficult. Let Lobb and JUH do the leading. When there's time Naughton can double back and be the 3rd man up which suits his marking much more.

Its an idea so obvious you would wonder why an AFL coaching group hadn't though of it.

jeemak
06-06-2023, 06:22 PM
Naughton isn't a great field kick and does stupid things that are too ambitious for his abilities when he gets the ball upfield. That might be why we play him deep.

1eyedog
06-06-2023, 06:27 PM
Naughton isn't a great field kick and does stupid things that are too ambitious for his abilities when he gets the ball upfield. That might be why we play him deep.

Legit always goes sidewards with a 15 m kick that misses.

Hotdog60
06-06-2023, 06:49 PM
I read today that Franklin maybe in his last year and the Swans have made enquiries about Naughton.
What every happened to the rules about poaching.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2023, 07:13 PM
I read today that Franklin maybe in his last year and the Swans have made enquiries about Naughton.

What’s the issue? He’s under contract. If Sydney want him, they’ll have to pay massively bigly. Make an offer, but it’s going to be massive to have a call returned by Sam Power. If WCE want him same thing. If the market wants to go crazy let it. He’s under contract and ‘way overs’ is the starting offer.

Grantysghost
06-06-2023, 07:48 PM
What’s the issue? He’s under contract. If Sydney want him, they’ll have to pay massively bigly. Make an offer, but it’s going to be massive to have a call returned by Sam Power. If WCE want him same thing. If the market wants to go crazy let it. He’s under contract and ‘way overs’ is the starting offer.

Give us Heeny and a first round pick.

Grantysghost
06-06-2023, 08:04 PM
Naughton isn't a great kick and does stupid things that are too ambitious for his abilities when he gets the ball upfield. That might be why we play him deep.

Fixed.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2023, 08:08 PM
Give us Heeny and a first round pick.

Probably closer is someone like a Stephens (former pick 5) and 2023 & 2024 Firsts.

Personally I’d be prepared to trade him if he got an offer we can’t match, but for clear overs while he’s under contract.

I have no issue with clubs looking at him. They know he’s under contract and know the offer to him and us needs to be enormous. If not he stays and that’s that.

chef
06-06-2023, 09:40 PM

No rule against talking to players managers.

chef
06-06-2023, 09:43 PM
If hes not wanting to leave we'd be destroying a lot more than fixing by pushing him out for some magic beans.

Crazy talk for mine.

ledge
07-06-2023, 01:09 PM
Interesting King says 8 clubs are enquiring about him as a forward but then he says we should play him back.
The bloke has no idea . Contradicts himself in one conversation . I think it’s hedging his bets to be honest.

azabob
07-06-2023, 01:18 PM
Interesting King says 8 clubs are enquiring about him as a forward but then he says we should play him back.
The bloke has no idea . Contradicts himself in one conversation . I think it’s hedging his bets to be honest.

Where did he say that? It’s unlike King to get involved in the speculation etc.
Not sure he is contradicting himself by saying he’d play Naughton back?

bulldogtragic
07-06-2023, 01:33 PM
8 clubs. Expect crazy offers!

MrMahatma
07-06-2023, 03:19 PM
8 clubs. Expect crazy offers!

They'd have to be crazy if we're to entertain them. Naughton is a gun player, and a dream for the membership/marketing guys.