PDA

View Full Version : WB Game Day V Essendon R19 2023 Thu 21/7, 7:50PM - Marvel Stadium

Pages : 1 [2]

jeemak
22-07-2023, 02:23 AM
Great win tonight. Professional, did what needed to be done when it needed to be done and got the points with a bit of a bump in percentage - which in our bracket of teams is important.

It was a difficult game to watch, the Docklands ground doesn't bound truly and that impacts quality of play at the moment....or seems to.

jeemak
22-07-2023, 02:42 AM
Bevo presser was excellent, gave some really good insights into the selection of the team and how he thought things panned out.

jeemak
22-07-2023, 03:26 AM
Is Roarke Smith playing? Cause I know you ain't just called Bailey Smith a second stringer.

Also, the term "Second Stringer" makes me cringe. I was happy to see the back of the first one.

I'm glad you got this off your chest.

Bigdog
22-07-2023, 07:06 AM
Overseas at the moment and listened to the game on ABC (AFL pass was not working), interestingly Mick Malthouse was in commentary and kept providing feedback on JUH’s defensive effort, his view is that his lazy. Personally haven’t noticed this in 2023 I thought he’d improved this element drastically.

It sounded like Malthouse had watched us closely this year, he’d noticed it a number of times he suggested in commentary. Wonder if anyone else has paid attention to this?

Its been embedded in me to dislike Malthouse when he walked out on the club in 89, but I found it interesting his insight (understood his a Dinosaur and some of views are probably outdated).

ReLoad
22-07-2023, 07:52 AM
Just landed in Melbourne. How good is a long flight when you turn on your phone to see Bevo with only one broken arm and a win!

Go_Dogs
22-07-2023, 08:23 AM
Bevo presser was excellent, gave some really good insights into the selection of the team and how he thought things panned out.

Felt like he’d been reading some WOOF posts with some of the musings. Agree, I liked it and a great insight into selection, along with the need for us to have everyone capable and not be overly reliant on a few.

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 09:22 AM
I'm glad you got this off your chest.

I'd be happier if he got that thing off his chest.

GVGjr
22-07-2023, 09:24 AM
I might have missed something but why were the Essendon supporters booing Weightman last night?

azabob
22-07-2023, 09:26 AM
I might have missed something but why were the Essendon supporters booing Weightman last night?

2021 final in Tasmania.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 09:32 AM
2021 final in Tasmania.

Yeah he got a heap of frees that day.

Losers!

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 09:36 AM
Bevo's presser was good as said.

After qtr time we stopped pushing Baz up as the extra mid as the Dons were exploiting that and killing us with intercept marks so they evened out the numbers and played 6 forwards.

OMG! They're learning. They coached very well.

Quaynorgate.

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 09:44 AM
2021 final in Tasmania.

It helps distract them from the fact the Package had 9 touches that night.

G-Mo77
22-07-2023, 09:50 AM

Losers!

And kicked 4 goals as well. They're still hurting.

SonofScray
22-07-2023, 09:55 AM
Overseas at the moment and listened to the game on ABC (AFL pass was not working), interestingly Mick Malthouse was in commentary and kept providing feedback on JUH?s defensive effort, his view is that his lazy. Personally haven?t noticed this in 2023 I thought he?d improved this element drastically.

It sounded like Malthouse had watched us closely this year, he?d noticed it a number of times he suggested in commentary. Wonder if anyone else has paid attention to this?

Its been embedded in me to dislike Malthouse when he walked out on the club in 89, but I found it interesting his insight (understood his a Dinosaur and some of views are probably outdated).

Not sure what game Mick was watching, but feel he is way off the mark in his assessment there. JUH was stifled out of it for a stretch, but he presented up the ground to get involved, worked hard back, laid a great tackle and generally looked like a guy invested fully in the game.

Mick might have just not caught up on the fact that ?marra has debunked the bullshit talking points the media tried to pin on him early in his career.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 10:08 AM
Malthouse what a flog.

A 6ft 4 forward running 13ks a game is lazy.

Not only that he does loads of extra training sessions.

Annoying when some archaic old wanker uses a label loaded with insinuation without any research.

/rant.

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 10:33 AM
Not sure what game Mick was watching, but feel he is way off the mark in his assessment there. JUH was stifled out of it for a stretch, but he presented up the ground to get involved, worked hard back, laid a great tackle and generally looked like a guy invested fully in the game.

Mick might have just not caught up on the fact that ?marra has debunked the bullshit talking points the media tried to pin on him early in his career.

Exactly this.

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 11:20 AM
Malthouse what a flog.

A 6ft 4 forward running 13ks a game is lazy.

Not only that he does loads of extra training sessions.

Annoying when some archaic old wanker uses a label loaded with insinuation without any research.

/rant.

Malthouse is a former coach, 5 years, changed the culture, a quarter of Leigh Matthews madness away from Grand Final and probable premiership in 1985, a Hall of Famer. I didn't go to the game or listen to the commentary. Flog and archaic old wanker is a bit harsh.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Malthouse is a former coach, 5 years, changed the culture, a quarter of Leigh Matthews madness away from Grand Final and probable premiership in 1985, a Hall of Famer. I didn't go to the game or listen to the commentary. Flog and archaic old wanker is a bit harsh.

Archaic old dickhead?

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 11:32 AM
Archaic old dickhead?

Anachronistic angry man yelling at clouds.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 11:37 AM

Mick hasn't seen him on 9 news doing any extra sessions.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtivDQYg38w/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

bornadog
22-07-2023, 11:43 AM

I see him sometimes on my morning walks and always says hello -maybe a bit passed it for radio special comments

Topdog
22-07-2023, 11:45 AM

Losers!

Bit harsh, its was their best shot at winning a final for 21 years, of course they remember it

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 11:45 AM
...former coach with whose observations I disagree ?

Malthouse isn't some clickbait chasing journo looking for a headline. Subject to possible early onset of dementia and not fully knowing the context of his observations, he has credibility.

Topdog
22-07-2023, 11:46 AM

And yet he is still a dinosaur and a grumpy dickhead so the description fits him well.

hujsh
22-07-2023, 11:52 AM
Given the culture of the place when he was there, and after he left, would it be a huge stretch to maybe think Malthouse made some comments he wouldn't have made if, I dunno, the player was named Logan McDonald or Riley Tilthorpe?

I'm not saying he's trying to be racist but maybe there are some internal bias' that old men have that pop out in subtle ways

soupman
22-07-2023, 11:52 AM
Btw if anyone has any good stories about irate Essendon supporters around them last night do share. The anecdotes I have heard thus far describe them as seething with anger and think I'm into that.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 11:53 AM

Malthouse isn't some clickbait chasing journo looking for a headline. Subject to possible early onset of dementia and not fully knowing the context of his observations, he has credibility.

That's it I guess.

Words are powerful. He has a cohort of people who take him seriously.

He knows that. Lazy has connotations he also knows that.

I understand your point and I was around for the Malthouse years too so know his pedigree.

I'll need to hear it myself however on the face of it he should know better.

EasternWest
22-07-2023, 11:54 AM

Disagree.

He's got a legacy that speaks for itself, and I have no problem with that.

But legacy isn't a golden ticket to spout angry diatribes that are a product of another time. He's an ok analyst but you can tell half of his commentary he's biting his tongue to stop from saying "back in my day".

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 11:56 AM
Btw if anyone has any good stories about irate Essendon supporters around them last night do share. The anecdotes I have heard thus far describe them as seething with anger and think I'm into that.

There was a guy on TV wearing a tucker bag on his head, written on it in black text were Essendon finals wins since 2004 with a chronological struck through list of the years!
Gold. He was a full kit wanker too defintely a Don.

My bro in law was trying to blame the umpires for most of the game (except the first qtr funnily enough) but did have the grade to concede the Dogs mids were too good.

bornadog
22-07-2023, 11:58 AM

I young bloke sitting next to me with his girlfriend just kept yelling "Ball", and why wasn't that a free. I said him to him no prior, but he didn't get it. By the end of the game he was slurring his words as he had alot of beers, and admitted all the deficiencies Essendon have. The booing of Weightman was not sustained for the whole match.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 12:02 PM
Given the culture of the place when he was there, and after he left, would it be a huge stretch to maybe think Malthouse made some comments he wouldn't have made if, I dunno, the player was named Logan McDonald or Riley Tilthorpe?

I'm not saying he's trying to be racist but maybe there are some internal bias' that old men have that pop out in subtle ways

Has he ever said it about those guys I wonder.

Did he mention Stringer? Hope so.

bornadog
22-07-2023, 12:07 PM
Has he ever said it about those guys I wonder.

Did he mention Stringer? Hope so.

When Stringer hit the post, I think in the last quarter, I yelled out first kick. I got the bloke next to me to laugh. He did try and defend him, and I said he has the talent but he is lazy.

jeemak
22-07-2023, 12:24 PM

A whatsapp chat that has a few on there had them crying about the umpires at half time, and then at the end of the game suggested we got nine goals directly from bad umpiring, but Libba goes OK.

Grantysghost
22-07-2023, 12:38 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/VL2X07mz/20230722-113622.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4mbYrQY0)

ledge
22-07-2023, 12:43 PM
Just landed in Melbourne. How good is a long flight when you turn on your phone to see Bevo with only one broken arm and a win!

If a broken hand gets a win the next week I hope he breaks one every week. Sadly only two arms means he needs to save arm breaking until we play games we need to win the week after .

jeemak
22-07-2023, 12:45 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/VL2X07mz/20230722-113622.jpg (https://postimg.cc/4mbYrQY0)

That is genuinely awesome! Legend.

merantau
22-07-2023, 03:12 PM

I had a good read of "Bomber Blitz". They are apoplectic with rage against their players, Club and of course the umpires.

Hardly a player exempted from the wrath and derision meted out. They are hurting BIG TIME. So sad.

St Essington Day not far away now. I have the Bollinger on ice.

Jeanette54
22-07-2023, 03:15 PM
And yet he is still a dinosaur and a grumpy dickhead so the description fits him well.

Grumpy, and old Mick may be, but if it's the incident I noticed during the game, then he was IMHO correct.

I guess its about forwards taking some responsibility for their opponent running forward in attack mode. In modern footy attacks regularly start with a backline player running through, just as we have seen Bailey Dale and JJ do it so often. I guess it depends on whether you think a forward should go with his opposite number, in this phase. We regularly criticise a mid-fielder who doesn't run "both ways", is a forward any different?

angelopetraglia
23-07-2023, 12:11 PM
Some simple analysis from Nathan Brown here https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1682916740919902209?s=20

Not going to bad. But check out the end. "Bont bobs up and kicks a pretty easy goal". Ha. Kicks a goal only a handful of players in the comp could kick.

ledge
23-07-2023, 07:29 PM
I had a good read of "Bomber Blitz". They are apoplectic with rage against their players, Club and of course the umpires.

Hardly a player exempted from the wrath and derision meted out. They are hurting BIG TIME. So sad.

St Essington Day not far away now. I have the Bollinger on ice.

But Dodoro is still the best list manager in the history of the game, Just ask them.

macca
23-07-2023, 09:10 PM
Some good analysis on the video here of TRSF @15.30 mins of our game:
- hightlights the hard running by Cody, Bonts and Treloar

Collingwood have won 5 games this year trailing by 3rd quarter incredible

Curnow has now kicked 19 goals in 2 games against the eagles this year. AEFL if they want to make an excuse to change rules maybe this one be one counting goals against bottom 2 sides for the coleman

https://www.afl.com.au/news/985754/magpies-defender-earns-extension-after-career-best-season

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-07-2023, 08:19 AM
But Dodoro is still the best list manager in the history of the game, Just ask them.
Is he wearing a toupee?

Grantysghost
24-07-2023, 04:17 PM
Bont up to fourth.
Aflca votes :

Essendon v Western Bulldogs
10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Tom Liberatore (WB)
5 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
3 Bailey Smith (WB)
2 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB

LEADERBOARD
99 Nick Daicos (COLL)
84 Christian Petracca (MELB)
77 Zak Butters (PORT)
76 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
73 Lachie Neale (BL)
72 Connor Rozee (PORT)
65 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
65 Zach Merrett (ESS)
64 Toby Greene (GWS)
63 Tim Taranto (RICH)
62 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
61 Caleb Serong (FRE)
58 Jack Sinclair (STK)
50 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
50 Errol Gulden (SYD)
50 Dan Houston (PORT)
50 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
49 Adam Cerra (CARL)
49 Tom Liberatore (WB)
48 Shai Bolton (RICH)

angelopetraglia
24-07-2023, 04:32 PM
Bont up to fourth.
Aflca votes :

Essendon v Western Bulldogs
10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Tom Liberatore (WB)
5 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
3 Bailey Smith (WB)
2 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB

LEADERBOARD
99 Nick Daicos (COLL)
84 Christian Petracca (MELB)
77 Zak Butters (PORT)
76 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
73 Lachie Neale (BL)
72 Connor Rozee (PORT)
65 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
65 Zach Merrett (ESS)
64 Toby Greene (GWS)
63 Tim Taranto (RICH)
62 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
61 Caleb Serong (FRE)
58 Jack Sinclair (STK)
50 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
50 Errol Gulden (SYD)
50 Dan Houston (PORT)
50 Jai Newcombe (HAW)
49 Adam Cerra (CARL)
49 Tom Liberatore (WB)
48 Shai Bolton (RICH)

That is now five games where Bont has got the perfect 10. In two more he has got 9. They way he normally polls in the Brownlow, I would say that is almost seven games where he will get three votes.

In total now he has received coaches votes in 11 of the 18 games.

Grantysghost
24-07-2023, 04:39 PM
That is now five games where Bont has got the perfect 10. In two more he has got 9. They way he normally polls in the Brownlow, I would say that is almost seven games where he will get three votes.

In total now he has received coaches votes in 11 of the 18 games.

Daicos will win because he's the flavour of the year.

Bont is more important.

Bigdog
24-07-2023, 07:53 PM
To clarify Mick’s main point was JUH wasn’t chasing and he noticed this a number of times through out the year as he’d watched the bulldogs closely (I can’t comment on this as I couldn’t watch this game and thought his intent has been very good in other game). He also praised JUH for some of his good work. It didn’t seem sinister, more a observation.

Mick is generally candid in assessment of all players.

josie
24-07-2023, 08:26 PM
Daicos will win because he's the flavour of the year.

Bont is more important.

Daicos is an excellent footballer. He deserves to be up the top as from games I’ve seen he has been super consistent, clever and influential. Bont has been terrific for us and hope he does well in Brownlow. Think he’ll be pipped again though due to a few quieter games (I’m guessing injury niggles) and harder to gain attention in a side battling to stay in the 8.

Grantysghost
24-07-2023, 09:22 PM
Daicos is an excellent footballer. He deserves to be up the top as from games I’ve seen he has been super consistent, clever and influential. Bont has been terrific for us and hope he does well in Brownlow. Think he’ll be pipped again though due to a few quieter games (I’m guessing injury niggles) and harder to gain attention in a side battling to stay in the 8.

He's been awesome, wasn't talking his season down.

Half backs usually don't poll as highly though.

josie
24-07-2023, 10:47 PM
He's been awesome, wasn't talking his season down.

Half backs usually don't poll as highly though.

Good point about HB. Daicos seems to be given licence to roam - bit like Bont. Think they’ll both poll really well. Who do you reckon in Pies might take votes from Daicos? Moore - even though he is a defender, Sidebottom but he was injured for a while, De Goey perhaps…..And for Bont possibly Libba but he has not historically polled that well.