PDA

View Full Version : The Run Home - explain how we miss finals

Pages : 1 [2]

Rocket Science
15-08-2023, 01:05 AM
Barret "they have got a get out of jail free card this week in that they play the Eagles and one win will probably get them into the finals but they arguably don't deserve to be there"

OK. Blues are six points ahead of the Bulldogs. They have played the Eagles twice already for two 100 point wins. But because we get to play the Eagles this week we don't deserve it.

How do these people look at themselves in the mirror with the bullshit they spin?

It pains to align with anything Barrett asserts and he deserves zero credit for such low hanging fruit but a glance at the form line of teams sitting 5th through 15th across the last 11 games - three of them now officially eliminated from finals - ain't pretty reading ...

BLUES 8 wins from 11
SAINTS 5 from 11
SWANS 7 from 11
DOGS 4 from 11
DONS 6 from 11 but have played BOTH WC & NTH TWICE in that span
GIANTS 8 from 11
CATS 5 from 11
CROWS 5 from 11
TIGERS 6 from 11
DOCKERS 5 from 11
SUNS 5 from 11

I mean if we've all but lost faith, it's hard to argue neutrals should have any.

BornInDroopSt'54
15-08-2023, 09:35 AM
So 8th in first final playing Carlton.
At G?
Out first week.
Carlton are the form team.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2023, 09:39 AM
At G?
Out first week.

Yeah, make up the numbers so Carlton can have a bunny to beat up on. Winning!

I’d rather miss than give them that.

GVGjr
15-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Yeah, make up the numbers so Carlton can have a bunny to beat up on. Winning!

I’d rather miss than give them that.

We can beat just about any side when we are on. I'll gladly take our chances in a final.

bornadog
15-08-2023, 10:22 AM
We can beat just about any side when we are on. I'll gladly take our chances in a final.

Yep, finals is what it is all about. You have to be in it to win it.

Carlton are playing extremely well and have beaten the top three sides, so remains to be seen whether they can sustain it.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2023, 10:28 AM

And lose to bottom three teams too. The club will use the final played (and lost) to wallpaper over the cracks.

Grantysghost
15-08-2023, 10:44 AM

Same. I don't want to miss.

GVGjr
15-08-2023, 10:56 AM
Yep, finals is what it is all about. You have to be in it to win it.

Carlton are playing extremely well and have beaten the top three sides, so remains to be seen whether they can sustain it.

We differ there. There is a difference between limping in and making an impact. In my view making finals doesn't necessarily mean we've had a successful season in fact it gives people and I suspect the club a plausible but incorrect 'out' in summarizing our season.

GVGjr
15-08-2023, 10:57 AM
Same. I don't want to miss.

Exactly, what if it meant that Essendon made it and we didn't? I don't think I could live easily with that :)

bornadog
15-08-2023, 11:08 AM
AFL.com.au's predicted final ladder*

1. Collingwood
2. Port Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. Brisbane
5. Carlton
6. Geelong
7. Adelaide
8. Western Bulldogs

9. St Kilda
10. Sydney
11. Greater Western Sydney
12. Essendon

Geelong need to win last two as do Saints and Sydney

Rocket Science
15-08-2023, 11:22 AM
We differ there. There is a difference between limping in and making an impact. In my view making finals doesn't necessarily mean we've had a successful season in fact it gives people and I suspect the club a plausible but incorrect 'out' in summarizing our season.

Absolutely.

Of course giving yourself a chance when it matters if preferable to missing but when our stated aims are to play with the big dogs and chase hardware amid talk of "windows" the citing of simply qualifying for finals as any measure of success rings painfully hollow when you capitulate in them and are simply a stepping stone for more serious opponents who know how to seize the moment.

We've made finals in 6 of 8 years.

We've failed to win a final in 6 of 8 years.

Both are true, but if we're serious here and not merely content with being that stepping stone, what's the more instructive statement?

bornadog
15-08-2023, 11:36 AM

Not sure where we differ?

The competition is all about playing finals and winning a premiership. Of course top 4 is the best way to do it.

The Club or any club, won't be happy to make the finals and then go out in straight sets - no one is happy with that

Grantysghost
15-08-2023, 11:51 AM
Absolutely.

Of course giving yourself a chance when it matters if preferable to missing but when our stated aims are to play with the big dogs and chase hardware amid talk of "windows" the citing of simply qualifying for finals as any measure of success rings painfully hollow when you capitulate in them and are simply a stepping stone for more serious opponents who know how to seize the moment.

Both are true, but if we're serious here and not merely content with being that stepping stone, what's the more instructive statement?

You have to first make it to win one.

I agree. We have been well below my expectations since 2016. Then there's 2021 which was amazing. Probably nearly our best two ever finals wins amongst that.

Outside of those two years not great. However if we get some momentum going, who knows with this lot!

1eyedog
15-08-2023, 12:19 PM
At G?
Out first week.

Yuck

Danjul
15-08-2023, 12:39 PM
Absolutely.

When there was a smaller league only the top third played in finals. Now the AFL allows a couple of extras to pad things out to generate some extra money. Effectively finishing as middle order is not a great achievement.

Danjul
15-08-2023, 12:41 PM
You have to first make it to win one.

I agree. We have been well below my expectations since 2016. Then there's 2021 which was amazing. Probably nearly our best two ever finals wins amongst that.

Outside of those two years not great. However if we get some momentum going, who knows with this lot!

which two?

jazzadogs
15-08-2023, 02:28 PM
which two?

The ones Josh Schache won for us off his own boot before he was unfairly dismissed.

bornadog
15-08-2023, 03:10 PM
which two?

The ones Josh Schache won for us off his own boot before he was unfairly dismissed.

Very funny JD

For Danjul - Semi final win against Brisbane at the Gabba and the Prelim smashing of Port Adelaide

Eastdog
15-08-2023, 03:55 PM
We need to keep going lift ourselves up and win. Still a big opportunity if we are good enough. We were very bad last Sunday but it was good that we were very close on the scoreboard despite that and could’ve won.

Don?t get me wrong I was very down after last Sunday and the overall frustration of those close losses which have been the difference in where we sit currently on the ladder but I still rather play finals and be in with a chance.

Eastdog
15-08-2023, 04:05 PM
If we do make finals then we really need to try and go as deep as we can and believe as a team that we are a chance. It has been disappointing to go out in the first weeks of 19,20 and 22. 15 different in that we made it to the finals of the back of the disaster at the end of 14.

josie
15-08-2023, 04:22 PM
Love your realistic optimism Eastdog. Let’s hope the team surprises us in the best way possible before H&A finishes and if we make it go deep into finals.

Eastdog
15-08-2023, 04:24 PM
Love your realistic optimism Eastdog. Let’s hope the team surprises us in the best way possible before H&A finishes and if we make it go deep into finals.

Frustrated absolutely I am but still hopeful that we can get something out of this season but yes we could fall away very quickly and then that’s when the serious questions will be asked as to why.

Danjul
15-08-2023, 05:00 PM
It was a genuine question because 2021 was the best year of consistent football I can remember. Now your descent into ridicule has spoilt it. Thanks.

Danjul
15-08-2023, 05:04 PM
Very funny JD

For Danjul - Semi final win against Brisbane at the Gabba and the Prelim smashing of Port Adelaide
I thought the semi was the best because they were seen as the form team on their home ground. Hard fought win.

bornadog
15-08-2023, 05:10 PM
I thought the semi was the best because they were seen as the form team on their home ground. Hard fought win.

Sensational game too.

jazzadogs
15-08-2023, 06:38 PM
It was a genuine question because 2021 was the best year of consistent football I can remember. Now your descent into ridicule has spoilt it. Thanks.

I did feel like it was fairly obvious that the "best two finals wins" GG was referring to were the semi and prelim, and I agree with him. The Essendon final, whilst very funny, wasn't a great win.

I apologise for ridiculing but it felt like you were asking in order to disagree with GG about our finals series. Now I see that you must have misread his post as "best two wins" including home and away.

bornadog
15-08-2023, 08:26 PM
I did feel like it was fairly obvious that the "best two finals wins" BAD was referring to were the semi and prelim, and I agree with him. The Essendon final, whilst very funny, wasn't a great win.

I apologise for ridiculing but it felt like you were asking in order to disagree with BAD about our finals series. Now I see that you must have misread his post as "best two wins" including home and away.

Actually it was a GVGjr post that mentioned the two finals.

GVGjr
15-08-2023, 08:30 PM
Not sure where we differ?

The competition is all about playing finals and winning a premiership. Of course top 4 is the best way to do it.

The Club or any club, won't be happy to make the finals and then go out in straight sets - no one is happy with that

Sorry, I thought I previously read that you flagged our finals finishes as a sign or success. To me finishing in the 8 means you're above average but winning a final adds a bit more to the performance of the season.

Grantysghost
15-08-2023, 08:41 PM
The aim of the season proper is making finals.
If you can make top 4 you've done extremely well.

Anything less than finals for the Dogs is a fail.

Losing the first is a fail too however the season kind of restarts as we know so anything can happen.

Odds are against us on this year's form.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-08-2023, 12:18 AM
The aim of the season proper is making finals.
If you can make top 4 you've done extremely well.

Anything less than finals for the Dogs is a fail.

Losing the first is a fail too however the season kind of restarts as we know so anything can happen.

Odds are against us on this year's form.
I'm inclined to think we failed the season last round.
We have not shown our best all year.
One quarter against Richmond.
We finish eighth and get done by Carlton.
Seven years since 2016 and underperformed since.

jeemak
16-08-2023, 12:36 AM
I'm inclined to think we failed the season last round.
We have not shown our best all year.
One quarter against Richmond.
We finish eighth and get done by Carlton.
Seven years since 2016 and underperformed since.

We did make the fourth GF in the club's history a couple of years ago.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 10:56 AM
We did make the fourth GF in the club's history a couple of years ago.

Don't remember that one

Eastdog
16-08-2023, 01:01 PM
Don't remember that one

We were in front in that 3rd quarter and will all thinking a 3rd flag in the clubs history was a huge chance and right in the match until that burst from The Demons. That obviously has been a huge issue for us in negating teams with that momentum. We were beaten by a very strong side as well. We were the 2nd best team in 2021 and very stiff not to have finished top 4.

Eastdog
16-08-2023, 01:03 PM

Was a nerve racking night. Great game and great win.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2023, 11:57 AM
So the path has become clearer.

We can make the finals with a single win and we can miss with two wins on % now due to how much % GWS made up yesterday.

If we narrowly beat the Eagles and Geelong and GWS thump the Blues they will go past us and they will know exactly how much they would need to win by which is a farce of the fixture. That would also require Sydney beating Melbourne at the SCG and the Saints beating Brisbane at the GABBA.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2023, 12:01 PM
Results that will help us today (obviously this depends on us getting the job done today against the Eagles).

Hawthorn to beat Melbourne. That ensures Melbourne is hungry to beat Sydney next week and secure their top four position. Also, if Melbourne were to lose both games, Blues are playing for a top four spot against GWS.

Port to beat Freo. This will ensure that Brisbane have not secured a home final and will need to ensure they beat the Saints in the last game to secure a home final.

azabob
20-08-2023, 12:14 PM
So the path has become clearer.

We can make the finals with a single win and we can miss with two wins on % now due to how much % GWS made up yesterday.

If we narrowly beat the Eagles and Geelong and GWS thump the Blues they will go past us and they will know exactly how much they would need to win by which is a farce of the fixture. That would also require Sydney beating Melbourne at the SCG and the Saints beating Brisbane at the GABBA.

The path may have become clearer, but the explanations in the how and why are not!

angelopetraglia
20-08-2023, 12:20 PM
To make it clearer. Our current % is about ~34 points ahead of GWS.

Say we were to win today by 30 points, that would take us ~64 points clear of GWS. Say we beat Geelong next week by ~10 points. That would give us ~74 points clear.

If the Blues have nothing to play for and decide to rest a few players, a GWS win by ~80 points would knock us out.

Grantysghost
20-08-2023, 12:21 PM
To make it clearer. Our current % is about ~34 points ahead of GWS.

Say we were to win today by 30 points, that would take us ~64 points clear of GWS. Say we beat Geelong next week by ~10 points. That would give us ~74 points clear.

If the Blues have nothing to play for and decide to rest a few players, a GWS win by ~80 points would knock us out.

So we will by ~144 points ahead of GWS after today, got it :)

bornadog
20-08-2023, 01:39 PM
Two scenarios for o make it

- win two we make it

_ win one and Carlton win we make it on %

DOG GOD
20-08-2023, 01:48 PM
Hawkins and Cameron got nowhere near it last night. That won?t happen next week.
The only way we are making it is if Carl beat GWS.

Let’s just see if that potential Elimination game against Geel next week is playing on our minds when we run out onto the ground today. If we see ourselves as a legitimate finals contender, we will beat WC by a min of 40 points.

Essendon showed their mindset with narrow wins against WC and NM, only then to be absolutely thumped yesterday. I think they realised they weren’t playing anywhere well enough to be a threat at all.

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 01:55 PM
Hawkins and Cameron got nowhere near it last night. That won?t happen next week.
The only way we are making it is if Carl beat GWS.

Let’s just see if that potential Elimination game against Geel next week is playing on our minds when we run out onto the ground today. If we see ourselves as a legitimate finals contender, we will beat WC by a min of 40 points.

Essendon showed their mindset with narrow wins against WC and NM, only then to be absolutely thumped yesterday. I think they realised they weren’t playing anywhere well enough to be a threat at all.

De.
Fault.

Why can’t we have nice things, like commanding a final spot of solid wins?

DOG GOD
20-08-2023, 02:00 PM
De.
Fault.

Why can’t we have nice things, like commanding a final spot of solid wins?

Maybe coz we just aren’t that good, consistant, or whatever you wanna call it ;)

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 02:30 PM
This.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2023, 06:25 PM
We miss finals with zero ability to win any contest we are remotely in.

Our last losses.

Eagles 7 points
Hawks 3 points
GWS 5 points
Swans 2 points
Pies 12 points

That is our last five losses all two goals or less. Is it like death by a thousand cuts. You keep losing close ones and your confidence and ability to win anything is just destroyed?

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 06:30 PM
We miss finals with zero ability to win any contest we are remotely in.

Our last losses.

Eagles 7 points
Hawks 3 points
GWS 5 points
Swans 2 points
Pies 12 points

That is our last five losses all two goals or less. Is it like death by a thousand cuts. You keep losing close ones and your confidence and ability to win anything is just destroyed?

At least we didn’t lose the same way by leading most of the games. So there’s that at least.

JanLorMill
20-08-2023, 06:33 PM
At least we didn’t lose the same way by leading most of the games. So there’s that at least.
Is that a Caddyshack quote after Carl caddied for the Dali lama?

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 06:36 PM
Is that a Caddyshack quote after Carl caddied for the Dali lama?

Close, that line (sine I know every word in the movie) is “so I’ve got that going for me, which is nice”.

angelopetraglia
20-08-2023, 06:42 PM

We were 10 points up at the start of the last quarter. So there is that. Another lead in the last quarter given up for a loss.

MrMahatma
20-08-2023, 07:35 PM
We don’t need finals. We need change.

Boots
20-08-2023, 07:38 PM
I think the most remarkable thing is, even when this thread’s title was a challenge to disbelievers, not one of those disbelievers would have said “by losing to west coast” as a real answer.

macca
20-08-2023, 08:16 PM
I think the most remarkable thing is, even when this thread’s title was a challenge to disbelievers, not one of those disbelievers would have said “by losing to west coast” as a real answer.

I had a bad feeling this might happen but not want today as afraid to jinx
I just can’t trust this group of players

Felt really let down today , at the game

EasternWest
20-08-2023, 08:22 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/XvQJrLD1/Screenshot-20230820-181436.png (https://postimg.cc/jWnK9HTy)

No but some of us had an inkling.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-08-2023, 08:33 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/XvQJrLD1/Screenshot-20230820-181436.png (https://postimg.cc/jWnK9HTy)

No but some of us had an inkling.

Even I thought this was far fetched! Yet here we are. With finals on the line, playing at home against a side that's been flogged from pillar to post for a few years and we LOSE to them! This is nearly as bad as it gets. I was laughing at essendon last week for only winning by 2pts. This is an embarrassment of the highest order and major changes are the only response. This club is nosediving at the minute. Who's going to stop it?

angelopetraglia
25-08-2023, 07:42 PM
The Blues playing last is a massive integrity issue.

If the Saints win. The Swans win and make up %, the Blues could miss out on a home final. They would have MASSIVE motivation to play for a win if they played a game earlier in the round.

Allowing them to play last, when they know exactly what they need to do to secure their preferred path (which could possibly mean even losing) is an just plain wrong. Unfair advantage. Compromised competition.

1eyedog
25-08-2023, 07:54 PM
It's actually just coincidence.

angelopetraglia
25-08-2023, 08:07 PM
It's actually just coincidence.

Agree. But still an unfair advantage.

Danny the snakeman
25-08-2023, 08:41 PM
Carlton probably happy to lose and put us out after last year.

angelopetraglia
25-08-2023, 08:45 PM
Carlton probably happy to lose and put us out after last year.

It will depend on the other results.

Also, if you are Carlton. Would you prefer to play the Bulldogs or GWS who would have won 9 from 11 if the knock over the Blues?

bulldogsthru&thru
25-08-2023, 09:17 PM
The blues would 100% prefer to play us than the giants.

They also missed finals in heartbreaking fashion last season. They're in amazing form and wouldn't want to mess with that right before finals. If they purposely try to flunk it, it'll come back to bite them in the finals.

bornadog
25-08-2023, 11:29 PM
The blues would 100% prefer to play us than the giants.

They also missed finals in heartbreaking fashion last season. They're in amazing form and wouldn't want to mess with that right before finals. If they purposely try to flunk it, it'll come back to bite them in the finals.

GWS won't be easy to be beat

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2023, 11:46 PM
I think we overthink it.

Carlton will want to win to continue their momentum and lock in a home final. Doubt they care who they play.

azabob
26-08-2023, 08:59 AM
Looking at that it would not surprise me to see us win only North and WC.

North (Marvel) ?should? be a win
Freo (Marvel) 50/50
Collingwood (Marvel) LOSS
Sydney (SCG) LOSS
Essendon (Marvel) 50/50 if we can keep Wright quiet
Giants (Mars) 50/50
Richmond (Marvel) will Lynch be back ??
Hawks (Tas) our record is horrendous 50/50
WCE (Marvel) if we don?t win this?.well?.
Geelong (Sedat Park) no way in hell, especially if they are playing for top 4.

So, I only see Coll, Syd and Geel as definite losses.
Freo, Ess, Giants, Rich, Hawks all 50/50 so say we win 3 of them
North and WC as wins.

That?s 5 more wins.
We will probably finish 9th on percentage (where I predicted haha)

DG, if your going to go hyperbole so early at least get our losses right ;)

In all seriousness only a select two or three saw this coming.

Rocket Science
26-08-2023, 12:09 PM
Gird yourselves comrades, it's going to be a long weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2c_-9kIjyU&ab_channel=NewChinaTV

bornadog
26-08-2023, 12:28 PM
Gird yourselves comrades, it's going to be a long weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2c_-9kIjyU&ab_channel=NewChinaTV

I have my iron pants on :D

jeemak
27-08-2023, 12:51 AM
You're all full of shit. The only way we can miss finals is if Carlton loses to GWS tomorrow.

SonofScray
27-08-2023, 01:28 AM
You're all full of shit. The only way we can miss finals is if Carlton loses to GWS tomorrow.

GWS by 11 points.

jeemak
27-08-2023, 04:06 AM
GWS by 11 points.

If they get it from here they deserve it.

They won't and it will be heaps of fun around here celebrating another finals berth for this club.

angelopetraglia
27-08-2023, 10:23 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4fZUQTaEAEOqYS?format=jpg&name=small

angelopetraglia
27-08-2023, 10:24 AM
Kane has spoken. Kane is now choosing the final eight. Points are irrelevant.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 10:50 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4fZUQTaEAEOqYS?format=jpg&name=small

What a lot of crap. The guy is the biggest flog in the media. You win the games, you make the finals.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2023, 11:02 AM
For people who don’t like Cornes, there’s a lot of conversation about what he has to say. Seems he’s doing his job.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 11:06 AM
For people who don’t like Cornes, there’s a lot of conversation about what he has to say. Seems he’s doing his job.

That is all it is about - click bait

G-Mo77
27-08-2023, 11:06 AM

And he's not wrong either. We don't deserve it but we've done all we can this round to make it and we'll see what happens.

Hotdog60
27-08-2023, 11:42 AM
I hoping something clicked at 3 quarter time and if we get the chance to play finals we see a different looking Bulldogs.

azabob
27-08-2023, 12:17 PM
It is fairly simple, if we make finals WE DESERVE it, if we do not make finals WE DESERVE that also.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2023, 12:26 PM
It is fairly simple, if we make finals WE DESERVE it, if we do not make finals WE DESERVE that also.

Deserves, as Will Munny says, has got nothing to do with it.

It’s only about qualification. We qualify or don’t qualify. Like making the cut, or getting through your heats or qualifying rounds. It’s simply a numerical qualification (or not) for the next round.

If we got in, I wouldn’t say we deserved it. I’d say when the season was over we essentially qualified for the next round, just. That’s all that’s generally required in most sports with a cut off point in determining winners.

azabob
27-08-2023, 12:46 PM
Deserves, as Will Munny says, has got nothing to do with it.

It’s only about qualification. We qualify or don’t qualify. Like making the cut, or getting through your heats or qualifying rounds. It’s simply a numerical qualification (or not) for the next round.

If we got in, I wouldn’t say we deserved it. I’d say when the season was over we essentially qualified for the next round, just. That’s all that’s generally required in most sports with a cut off point in determining winners.

So, we are saying the same thing then? FWIW I was more responding to Kane's statement.

I guess this time around with wildcard round and all we are still alive as the music is still playing.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2023, 12:51 PM
So, we are saying the same thing then? FWIW I was more responding to Kane's statement.

I guess this time around with wildcard round and all we are still alive as the music is still playing.

Furiously agreeing. Deserve is a subjective, in this instance, click bait opinion word. But subjectivity has nothing to do with 9pm tonight. It’s an objective measure. So Cornes can say what he likes, more power to him. It won’t change a thing except clicks and comments and he’s getting what he wants.

jeemak
27-08-2023, 02:23 PM
If Carlton win will we have earned our spot in the finals?

We've invested labour/ effort over the course of the season.

GVGjr
27-08-2023, 02:33 PM
If Carlton win will we have earned our spot in the finals?

We've invested labour/ effort over the course of the season.
Assuming Carlton win then I think we can say we've gotten a bit lucky. Have we genuinely earned it is a bit debatable but I'd say most of our supporters would rather that we didn't have to rely on others.

bulldogsthru&thru
27-08-2023, 02:51 PM
A top 8 side shouldn't lose to the Eagles.....I won't say we don't deserve it but there's certainly a case to be made to say we don't.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 02:53 PM
If we make Finals, it will be the first final in our history we play Carlton.

We have beaten them 7 of the last ten in the home and away.

Hotdog60
27-08-2023, 03:03 PM
A top 8 side shouldn't lose to the Eagles.....I won't say we don't deserve it but there's certainly a case to be made to say we don't.

We got beaten by Freo in 2016 who were 16 on the ladder. :)

jeemak
27-08-2023, 03:11 PM
Did we deserve to make finals in 1995? We finished 7th, but only had 11 wins and one draw.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Did we deserve to make finals in 1995? We finished 7th, but only had 11 wins and one draw.

You get the required points then you play. Simple as that

bornadog
27-08-2023, 03:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_exB2sNQaaA?t=3&feature=share

jazzadogs
27-08-2023, 04:13 PM

So GWS don't deserve it either?

It's all just recency bias. Our start and end to the year were poor, our middle section as good as anyone... Would GWS deserve it just because their wins came at the end of the year?

hujsh
27-08-2023, 04:24 PM
So GWS don't deserve it either?

It's all just recency bias. Our start and end to the year were poor, our middle section as good as anyone... Would GWS deserve it just because their wins came at the end of the year?

Yes exactly. I think it's fair to say that for both GWS and us we've left too much to fate and at different times this year could have done more to keep fate in our own hands, it's just that we lost to WCE last week and GWS' shit games were earlier in the year

chef
27-08-2023, 04:29 PM
If we make we have earned the right by being the 8th best team over the whole season.

Recent form doesnt come into it.

chef
27-08-2023, 04:30 PM
Didn't GWS also lose to the Eagles?

hujsh
27-08-2023, 04:41 PM
If they did it's too far back for anyone to possibly remember. Maybe an archivist has such records kept somewhere that only the leader of the AFL Church can examine

SonofScray
27-08-2023, 04:48 PM
I will forever resent this team for making me barrack for Carlton.

bornadog
27-08-2023, 04:49 PM

They lost to WC, followed by Carlton. Also lost to Essendon and Tigers, plus top 4 teams.

BornInDroopSt'54
27-08-2023, 05:24 PM
They lost to WC, followed by Carlton. Also lost to Essendon and Tigers, plus top 4 teams.

Beat Collingwood and are in good form.
Kornes and co. picking GWS today.

FrediKanoute
27-08-2023, 07:52 PM
We absolutely don't deserve to be in the finals and if we make it I can't see us beating Carlton.

Out game plan/system etc is pretty average compared to what other teams do. We lack pace and have too make who kick in hope rather than measure an option.

Based on the game today, not going to play finals!

jeemak
27-08-2023, 08:24 PM
We absolutely don't deserve to be in the finals and if we make it I can't see us beating Carlton.

Out game plan/system etc is pretty average compared to what other teams do. We lack pace and have too make who kick in hope rather than measure an option.

So fi GWS lose should they just make it a final seven because we don't deserve to be there?

1eyedog
27-08-2023, 08:27 PM

If GWS lose we deserve to play finals.

angelopetraglia
27-08-2023, 10:03 PM
Our last four losses.

2 points Swans
5 points GWS
3 points Hawks
7 points Eagles

Just win one and we play finals.

jeemak
27-08-2023, 10:05 PM
We don't deserve to play finals. Didn't win enough games.

angelopetraglia
27-08-2023, 10:12 PM
We don't deserve to play finals. Didn't win enough games.

100%. We were in winning positions in so many games and just blew our lines. Not good enough.

angelopetraglia
27-08-2023, 10:13 PM
Blues played in four games decided by less than 10 points. They won them all.

We lost our last four by under 10 points.

hujsh
27-08-2023, 10:26 PM
It’s funny how despite everything we thought we needed to do earlier on it was actually way easier than we all though to make finals this year.
….we still failed of course but it was way easier to make it in than everyone was saying given it took losing to WCE at home so I’ll take that as vindication

macca
27-08-2023, 10:46 PM
Of all the games I was expecting us to lose in the last 5 weeks, it was against Geelong . I expected us to win at least 4 out of the last 5 weeks.
GWS, Richmond( won) Hawks, WC and Geelong( won)

I am at a lost on how bad the season has derailed.

GWS deserve to be in finals as they heave beaten teams above their position.

angelopetraglia
27-08-2023, 11:06 PM
Our last nine losses of the season were all 22 points or less.

We were just meh after the first two rounds. We adjusted on the fly and from that point we went 12-9. We were basically in every single game and blew countless leads into small losses. We didn’t get blown out in any game.

We were just mediocre. Competitive, but when it really mattered we went missing and could not get the job done.

FrediKanoute
28-08-2023, 05:33 AM
Our last four losses.

2 points Swans
5 points GWS
3 points Hawks
7 points Eagles

Just win one and we play finals.

2 of those teams are playing finals. One just wont the wooden spoon and the other finished the season w2 places above them.

When the pressure was on and the job needed to be done we couldn't do it. We failed against teams we should have beaten - margin is irrelevant!

Anyway, GWS, when they needed to win to make the finals got the job done. Their players stood up and did the business. We miss out. Enjoy mad Monday lads!

FrediKanoute
28-08-2023, 05:34 AM
If GWS lose we deserve to play finals.

All moot, but winning this week would have delayed the inevitable!

chef
28-08-2023, 07:33 PM
Libba gets KO'd. Thats probably it.

comrade
29-08-2023, 05:39 AM
We were just mediocre. Competitive, but when it really mattered we went missing and could not get the job done.

Pretty much sums up the last 7 years.

Grantysghost
29-08-2023, 09:01 AM

Comrade! Hope you're well.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2023, 09:04 AM
Is the band getting put back together?

EasternWest
29-08-2023, 10:32 AM

Good to have you back mate.