PDA

View Full Version : Watching last night...Football has LOST a lot!

mjp
22-07-2023, 01:03 PM
The game vs the Bombers was appalling.

Essendon chipping the ball over and over again across half back? Man, it was like death by 1000-cuts.

I am old enough to remember a time when even after taking a mark, if you didn't get the ball moving the umpire would pay a free kick against you for "deliberately wasting time"...now, entire teams do it - with the help of the stand rule (what a joke) to chip, chip, chip themselves (and any viewers) to death.

WE played very well - moved it fast, took it on, Jamarra, Naughts and Cody jumped at it and - well - played footy in the spirit of the game. If I wanted to watch Ridley chip it to McGrath under zero pressure though, I would fly to Melbourne, uber it the Essendon facility and attend a training session.

I think there are a certainly a few teams in the league who play footy the 'right' way - and despite my dislike for them the 2023 Essendon side is one of them. But holy heck last night was a hard watch - chip, chip, chip. At least pre- "back to the 9m" and "stand" you could get in there faces, try to force a turnover, create some pressure and excitement...now, well...now, you just have to suck it!

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 01:12 PM
The game vs the Bombers was appalling.

Essendon chipping the ball over and over again across half back? Man, it was like death by 1000-cuts.

I am old enough to remember a time when even after taking a mark, if you didn't get the ball moving the umpire would pay a free kick against you for "deliberately wasting time"...now, entire teams do it - with the help of the stand rule (what a joke) to chip, chip, chip themselves (and any viewers) to death.

WE played very well - moved it fast, took it on, Jamarra, Naughts and Cody jumped at it and - well - played footy in the spirit of the game. If I wanted to watch Ridley chip it to McGrath under zero pressure though, I would fly to Melbourne, uber it the Essendon facility and attend a training session.

I think there are a certainly a few teams in the league who play footy the 'right' way - and despite my dislike for them the 2023 Essendon side is one of them. But holy heck last night was a hard watch - chip, chip, chip. At least pre- "back to the 9m" and "stand" you could get in there faces, try to force a turnover, create some pressure and excitement...now, well...now, you just have to suck it!

Bolded bit. Surely you are anaesthetised, having watched our defence all season. Disclaimer: I didn't go last night.

mjp
22-07-2023, 01:25 PM
Bolded bit. Surely you are anaesthetised, having watched our defence all season. Disclaimer: I didn't go last night.

Yeah - 100% I'm used to it...just really struck me last night. I think they had the highest number of marks inside defensive half (or something) and I feel like every switch back across to the other side was making me want to scream...

Disclaimer: I rarely get to watch Friday night games 'live' (as in, I'm still in Perth but when they go to air, 'cos, well, work) but I stuffed around with the roster and called in favours (aka told some staff they were working and therefore had to pay real money) to get the night off to watch and enjoy it - big game and all. It did NOT live up to the billing. We won though so happy faces.

Curly5
22-07-2023, 01:53 PM
You only have to look at videos of games of a decade or more ago to realise how much the game has changed for the worse.
My favourite Bulldogs period (other than 15-16) was under Eade in the late 2000s.

kruder
22-07-2023, 01:53 PM
Felt like I was watching Freo play MJP, absolutely awful to watch and our mids on paper spooked them before the game began.

The highlight for me was another step for our young forward line, in Naughty,Marra and Cody and a change of mindset from Bailey Smith. Even if you play outside for periods of the game doesn't mean you can't bring your inner mid insticts when it comes to defence.

bornadog
22-07-2023, 02:10 PM
I said the same thing to the bloke sitting next to me about over possessing the ball. He thought our defensive set up stopped the backline from attacking and they didn't want to kick the ball to a contest. Essendon went round in circles.

The best effort was when they ran the ball fast through the corridor, but that only happened one or two times.

ledge
22-07-2023, 02:31 PM
I’m worried the media are trying to get Bailey Smith for a dangerous tackle when all he did was grab his jumper by one hand.
It’s quite strange the media ask is it a dangerous tackle, bring it up as a dangerous tackle then go through all the rules and not one rule is broken to say it is.
That’s the problem with AFL footy the media start the rubbish talk then the AFL follows the stupidity of it.
A lot of rules are changed because some media clown wants a click or two.
The no three men at the ruck was one the media started it actually devalued the game.

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 02:42 PM
I’m worried the media are trying to get Bailey Smith for a dangerous tackle when all he did was grab his jumper by one hand.
It’s quite strange the media ask is it a dangerous tackle, bring it up as a dangerous tackle then go through all the rules and not one rule is broken to say it is.
That’s the problem with AFL footy the media start the rubbish talk then the AFL follows the stupidity of it.
A lot of rules are changed because some media clown wants a click or two.
The no three men at the ruck was one the media started it actually devalued the game.

Bolded bit. Headquarters says it came about following widespread consultation with a range of relevant stakeholders to protect the role of ruckmen. That's code for have to stop Bont and Bulldogs winning another Premiership.

macca
22-07-2023, 05:05 PM
Bolded bit. Headquarters says it came about following widespread consultation with a range of relevant stakeholders to protect the role of ruckmen. That's code for have to stop Bont and Bulldogs winning another Premiership.

Once again , AFL changing the rules becuase we get good at something

Honestly the game is becoming very unintersting to watch

I really struggle to watch other games being played now due to :
1. Stupid rules opens up for stupid intepretations
2. When ball is in stoppage , players now just stand and try to pickup ball, its going to tear hamstrings and cause back problems
3. Commentary

Brian taylor was very complimentary of Smith tackling last night

Mofra
22-07-2023, 05:09 PM
It's part of why Collingwood are (as it pains me to say) so watchable - they take risks, and often take them in the riskiest part of the ground (the corridor).

I really think in 2015 & 2016 we made football more watchable with handball club to get the ball to boot and move it quickly, or run it from D50 with speed.
2016 meant teams anywhere on the ladder think they're chance and killed the 'premiership window' chatter a bit.

There are always going to be teams that just try and hold possession and treat the game like slow chess.

GVGjr
22-07-2023, 11:19 PM
I didn't mid yesterdays game but I don't enjoy the way Essendon play and Fremantle for that matter. Those defensive switches can make for boring games.

ledge
23-07-2023, 07:35 PM
I didn't mid yesterdays game but I don't enjoy the way Essendon play and Fremantle for that matter. Those defensive switches can make for boring games.

The bombouts do it because they poo their pants if a side kicks a few in row. they try the attacking game first though.
Geelongs smashing completely destroyed any confidence they had of running forward.

jeemak
23-07-2023, 08:11 PM
I don't mind teams bringing a range of different styles to play to strengths and hide weaknesses. It creates a balance between the different levels of ability. If everyone played like Collingwood there'd be a lot more blow outs.

1eyedog
23-07-2023, 09:04 PM

St Kilda have been doing it since Ross Lyon v1.

Mantis
24-07-2023, 08:33 AM
Essendon's backline is just so vanilla... Ridley (who is a nice mark, but no hurt factor going forward), Zerk-Thatcher, Laverde, Kelly, Heppell and McGrath.. spare me.

The only time they looked like taking the game, which is sort of how you trouble us is when Hind ventured down there late in the game.

GVGjr
24-07-2023, 09:47 AM
Essendon's backline is just so vanilla... Ridley (who is a nice mark, but no hurt factor going forward), Zerk-Thatcher, Laverde, Kelly, Heppell and McGrath.. spare me.

The only time they looked like taking the game, which is sort of how you trouble us is when Hind ventured down there late in the game.

They might be able to rack up some stats but it's a weak unit.

Ridley is a decent defender and as you say a nice mark.
Laverde they've somehow turned him into a back man but he has done okay for them over the last 3 years
Zerk-Thatcher is highly regarded by their fans but it shows they're settling. Kelly is solid but not a lot more than that. Heppel is overrated and McGrath is so disappointing for a number #1 pick and is just average.

Watch them make a play for Norths McKay.

Mofra
24-07-2023, 11:08 AM

They actually have a backman that would concern me - Hind - but they played into our hands by making him the sub.

AshMac
25-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Good post. I was at the ground and noticed the freedom the dogs in their backline. Our game plan seemed to be to let them chip it around and force a turnover at our defensive arch and rebound forward.

It seemed to work against a team like the bombers who have a young midfield and I think a B-C grade forward line. Better teams get it over the back and run into easy goals.

The main issue I had was we still had slow and stale ball movement which counters the value of forcing a turnover. I thought it was ugly team football over the game with our star player sprinkling fairy dust on a turd.