PDA

View Full Version : Big Shout out to Jack Macrae

bornadog
22-07-2023, 05:43 PM
Jack is playing a different role this year. Credit to him he has taken it up and accepted the challenge for the good of the team.

Plus, he is still racking them up.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1jznxmaUAIJ6YE?format=jpg&name=medium

merantau
22-07-2023, 06:31 PM
Indeed, he was very good last night. Terrific player. So consistent. So prolific. Just goes about it and gets the job done.

Go_Dogs
22-07-2023, 06:52 PM
Crazy stat.

Jacko has taken more a backseat role this year and gotten on with it. Not everyone would be comfortable doing that.

angelopetraglia
22-07-2023, 06:58 PM
100%.

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 07:17 PM
Mick McGuane wrote an article in the hun about the fading infield fortunes. He suggested that Macrae might be being seen as an accumulator rather than a provider. I can?t work out why he?s playing as a high half forward. Anyone ?

dalek
22-07-2023, 08:00 PM
Some games you don't realise how many possessions he gets.

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 09:22 PM
Some games you don't realise how many possessions he gets.

Some ? Most.

chef
22-07-2023, 10:15 PM
What an absolute gun hes been for us. Seems like a lovely lad too

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 10:39 PM

Curse ? He might have been educated by Bappos but curse ?

chef
22-07-2023, 10:43 PM

You've lost me, what?

D Mitchell
22-07-2023, 10:48 PM
You've lost me, what?

Curse worries me a bit, too but the lad's grounded ? (a followup in the offing ?)

hujsh
23-07-2023, 12:07 AM
Why is Jack cursed?

westbulldog
23-07-2023, 12:14 AM

What are you talking about ?

D Mitchell
23-07-2023, 12:52 AM

Ask Chef, she/he raised it, I asked the same question and got nowhere. In the meantime, though, why do you think Macrae has been shifted ?

hujsh
23-07-2023, 02:00 AM

Ask Chef, she/he raised it, I asked the same question and got nowhere. In the meantime, though, why do you think Macrae has been shifted ?

Maybe re-read the trail? Chef never mentioned a curse or Bappos (whatever that is)

D Mitchell
23-07-2023, 02:31 AM
Maybe re-read the trail? Chef never mentioned a curse or Bappos (whatever that is)

Maybe re-read post 8, carefully.

hujsh
23-07-2023, 10:47 AM
Maybe re-read post 8, carefully.

Mate even the bloke who wrote the post has no idea what you're on about. Maybe explain or if you can't we can all just move on.

chef
23-07-2023, 10:54 AM

What are you on about?

Grantysghost
23-07-2023, 10:55 AM

He does. I was so close to capturing the rare Macrae chat the other night at the sponsors event however missed it, I made too much noise and he was frightened away ;)

Funke disco
23-07-2023, 12:08 PM
He doesn’t get many set shots but I have to say that recently, when within range, he is much more comfortable kicking them than what he used to be.

azabob
23-07-2023, 12:18 PM
You've lost me, what?

Curse worries me a bit, too but the lad's grounded ? (a followup in the offing ?)

Why is Jack cursed?

I reckon it is Chefs signature that has caused the confusion "The Curse is Dead"

westbulldog
23-07-2023, 12:36 PM
This is the most idiotic thread on woof, D Mitchell WTF is Bappos ??

hujsh
23-07-2023, 01:43 PM
I reckon it is Chefs signature that has caused the confusion "The Curse is Dead"

That might be it. I have signatures turned off

EasternWest
23-07-2023, 01:46 PM
This is the most idiotic thread on woof,

Big call Westie, big call. There's plenty of other frontrunners:).

Grantysghost
23-07-2023, 02:00 PM

Spot on that's it.

For @D Mitchell the bottom part of a post contains a user's signature. The same thing will display at the bottom of all of their posts.
You can turn off seeing them in settings.

https://i.postimg.cc/jS65MjMj/Screenshot-20230723-125809-2.png (https://postimages.org/)

Go to settings->General settings->thread display options

https://i.postimg.cc/FsBqwbnW/Screenshot-20230723-130111-2.png (https://postimages.org/)

D Mitchell
23-07-2023, 02:38 PM
Thankyou, Chief & GG. An attempt at humour referencing your signature as if part of your post. I'm curious how others describe Macrae's revised role and why the change.

bornadog
23-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Macrae really is the quiet achiever - just gets on with the job.

chef
23-07-2023, 02:59 PM
Thankyou, Chief & GG. An attempt at humour referencing your signature as if part of your post. I'm curious how others describe Macrae's revised role and why the change.

Now we've got the first part cleared up, whats a bappo?

Grantysghost
23-07-2023, 03:00 PM

It's a good question. He's playing more forward and rarely in the mid rotations at centre bounce especially.

I can only guess we identified a sameness about our core midfield group (Bont, Libba, Macrae) from previous years the prevented us from defending stoppage as we would have liked.
Also forward 50 entries, the link bw midfield and forwards may have been a factor (although I think Jacko is awesome at this now).
Treloar has taken his role seemingly as an inside mid which probably leans towards Jackos ability to spread from stoppage as being an issue (as Treloar has pace).
He's certainly shown great leadership by seemingly just getting on with it for the benefit of the team.

TLDR

Spread from stoppage.
Defending at stoppage.
Mid - > fwd link up

Probably in that order.

Grantysghost
23-07-2023, 03:03 PM
Now we've got the first part cleared up, whats a bappo?

Baptists.

He went to Carey Grammar.

D Mitchell
23-07-2023, 03:19 PM
Bappo - Baptist - Religion - Superstition - Curse. Macrae was educated at Carey Baptist Grammar. It's bad enough a joke not flying but having to explain it.... My turn. How would you describe Macrae's revised role and why the change ? If it helps, I think it's reduced midfield time, making way for Smith and Treloar who have pace. He appears to be stationed at high half forward and does in and under work when not on the ball and when play is at high half forward. I think it's a pace issue. I referenced an article by Mick McGuane in which he suggests that it's because Macrae's seen as prioritising accumulation over delivery. What do you think ?

westbulldog
23-07-2023, 07:52 PM
Big call Westie, big call. There's plenty of other frontrunners:).

A few of mine are probably up there too :)

EasternWest
23-07-2023, 08:20 PM
A few of mine are probably up there too :)

Ditto.

Mofra
25-07-2023, 03:42 PM
Bappo - Baptist - Religion - Superstition - Curse. Macrae was educated at Carey Baptist Grammar. It's bad enough a joke not flying but having to explain it.... My turn. How would you describe Macrae's revised role and why the change ? If it helps, I think it's reduced midfield time, making way for Smith and Treloar who have pace. He appears to be stationed at high half forward and does in and under work when not on the ball and when play is at high half forward. I think it's a pace issue. I referenced an article by Mick McGuane in which he suggests that it's because Macrae's seen as prioritising accumulation over delivery. What do you think ?
Macrae (statistically) is quite an effective inside 50 kick so part of it may be we need better connection into the F50 and Macrae actually helps this.
Putting a natural ball winner in the 'dead' position of high half forward (which can be an absolute ghost town of a spot for all but the very best players) may well be considered a coaching success story from this year.

D Mitchell
25-07-2023, 04:54 PM
Macrae (statistically) is quite an effective inside 50 kick so part of it may be we need better connection into the F50 and Macrae actually helps this.
Putting a natural ball winner in the 'dead' position of high half forward (which can be an absolute ghost town of a spot for all but the very best players) may well be considered a coaching success story from this year.

I agree with both of those, Macrae's kicks are generally low and hard, counterpoint to the much criticised long bombs. I wonder whether they are unintended consequences or deliberate.

Ozza
26-07-2023, 08:45 AM
I've actually been really happy with Macrae's work over the past 6-8 weeks at least. The challenge of a new role which can be really difficult for some players (as we've seen) and is still getting a bit of footy, never fumbles and makes good decisions. Can't expect for him to reach his previous levels given the role change, but he's getting involved in plenty of scoring chains.

A good effort to continue to gather more than 20 every single week and hopefully set the record this week, albeit not a full time mid anymore.

Mantis
26-07-2023, 10:38 AM
I've actually been really happy with Macrae's work over the past 6-8 weeks at least. The challenge of a new role which can be really difficult for some players (as we've seen) and is still getting a bit of footy, never fumbles and makes good decisions. Can't expect for him to reach his previous levels given the role change, but he's getting involved in plenty of scoring chains.

A good effort to continue to gather more than 20 every single week and hopefully set the record this week, albeit not a full time mid anymore.

Just because he's not attending CB's it doesn't mean he's not playing as a mid...as referenced by Bevo's comments last week.

Agree he's doing well in a changed role.

HOSE B ROMERO
26-07-2023, 09:26 PM
He doesn?t get many set shots but I have to say that recently, when within range, he is much more comfortable kicking them than what he used to be.

Except for his set shot at the end of the 2016 Prelim. My favourite set shot ever.

HOSE B ROMERO
26-07-2023, 09:31 PM
Deserves to finish his career with a Sutton medal.

bornadog
31-07-2023, 03:58 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2VFuy4aEAA0lBe?format=webp&name=large

EasternWest
31-07-2023, 04:15 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2VFuy4aEAA0lBe?format=webp&name=large

Giggity

bulldogtragic
31-07-2023, 04:22 PM
Giggity

EasternWest
31-07-2023, 04:55 PM

That was my next go to.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2023, 11:27 PM
Ok - all reports we are after Watson:

Watson Marra Weightman
Clarke Naughton Lobb

Resting: English, Bont & Adz

Arty goes back to the wing with Poulter, Baker, Scott & Williams (maybe Harmes)

Where does that leave Jacko?

GVGjr
09-10-2023, 11:28 PM
Ok - all reports we are after Watson:

Watson Marra Weightman
Clarke Naughton Lobb

Resting: English, Bont & Adz

Arty goes back to the wing with Poulter, Baker, Scott & Williams (maybe Harmes)

Where does that leave Jacko?

Macrae has to get back into the midfield rotations. We don't have many other options. I doubt Clarke has jumped ahead of him either.

bulldogtragic
09-10-2023, 11:31 PM
Macrae has to get back into the midfield rotations. We don't have many other options. I doubt Clarke has jumped ahead of him either.

Not sure I want Jack playing forward pocket.

So we need to find him more CBAs and Smith if he stays to not crack the sads. Try to find opportunities for West, Garcia. Still rely on Adz, Bont & Libba. Going to be tough doing/going…

jeemak
09-10-2023, 11:57 PM
Fair bit of pressure on both Watson and Clarke to take a spot, let alone make us entirely rethink our extra-mid rolling up strategy.

bornadog
25-10-2023, 03:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9PAfdbaUAA4b3W?format=jpg&name=large

bulldogtragic
25-10-2023, 03:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F9PAfdbaUAA4b3W?format=jpg&name=large

Dogs & Dees dominating that list.