PDA

View Full Version : Flying the flag

LostDoggy
15-04-2008, 10:42 PM
I spoke to a WC supporter mate of mine. He said the most disappointing aspect of the Hall/Staker incident was the aftermarth.
Nowhere near enough WC players challenged Hall. Hunter came in and fell over. Beau Waters did some chesting at quater time but there was nothing else. A bad sign for the club.

I know we did bugger all when Hall did the same to Grant.

What was wrong with even 4 or 5 players basically pushing Hall around? Make a stand for your teammate.

What the news in the West about this?

MrMahatma
15-04-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd like to think that, these days, you'd at least get Minson, Hudson and Lake who'd go in to show some support. West is a bit more angry this year as well.

You simply can't have it. To be honest, why that didn't turn into an all-in is a bit sad for the Eagles. Someone should've taken Hal to the ground for that. Hunter is a girl falling like that. Pathetic effort.

Sure it might cost you 5k or so, but in terms of team solidarity and opposition mind-set, it'd be worth every bit.

To be honest, even if it meant one of our boys got suspended, I'd rather see them go in and defend someone who copped such a cheap shot.

GVGjr
15-04-2008, 11:06 PM

What was wrong with even 4 or 5 players basically pushing Hall around? Make a stand for your teammate.

It sounds great in theory but they have a habit of getting out of hand.
If players can control themselves to a push and a bit of aggro and resist the temptation to throw a cheap one then yes it works but if flying the flag results in a player of ours getting rubbed then out it's a double whammy on the club.

Years ago when I played footy up in the bush an opposition player did a particularly dirty act and our coach waited until the return round and instructed all the players to give him at least one push each and to mouth off at him. It started off OK and he was put off his game by all the attention but then his teammates rallied around him and things got out of hand. The following 2 weeks we were missing four players through suspension. The opposition team were missing some players as well but who cares because we weren't playing them. Both teams lost at least one of the next two games by a small margin.

I suppose the point I am trying to make is that there is a smart way of flying the flag but sending 4 or 5 players in at the same time is a recipe for a bigger problem.

1eyedog
15-04-2008, 11:12 PM
I spoke to a WC supporter mate of mine. He said the most disappointing aspect of the Hall/Staker incident was the aftermarth.
Nowhere near enough WC players challenged Hall. Hunter came in and fell over. Beau Waters did some chesting at quater time but there was nothing else. A bad sign for the club.

What was also amusing was Daniel Kerr standing in the background like a frightened schoolboy while Beau Waters went in and remonstrated. Hey, at least Waters did something! I honestly believe the other Weagles were scared of getting snotted in the nose. Really, after the past few years of controversy from that club I wouldn't expect that it had a strong enough culture to incite its team mates to stand up for one of its one. I reckon Mitch Hahn would be straight in personally and the saxophonist wouldn't be far behind him, very likely lads. I wouldn't want to see our players throwing punches at all, but I would like to think they they would stand up for their team mates.

hujsh
15-04-2008, 11:48 PM
What was also amusing was Daniel Kerr standing in the background like a frightened schoolboy while Beau Waters went in and remonstrated. Hey, at least Waters did something! I honestly believe the other Weagles were scared of getting snotted in the nose. Really, after the past few years of controversy from that club I wouldn't expect that it had a strong enough culture to incite its team mates to stand up for one of its one. I reckon Mitch Hahn would be straight in personally and the saxophonist wouldn't be far behind him, very likely lads. I wouldn't want to see our players throwing punches at all, but I would like to think they they would stand up for their team mates.

Sound like cousins

I think Hargrave would be one to jump in as well.

I wonder if Callan would jump in

LostDoggy
15-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Whats a consequence of not flying the flag?
I suppose it gives the impression that your team is soft to others teams, your fans and most likely doesn't help the team spirit.

BulldogBelle
16-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Players are a little frightened to get involved these days due to being reported and perhaps fined. Some are on performance payments and would lose a tidy sum if suspended. Things are way different these days as opposed to years gone by when it was rare not to see some sort of hit or biff weekly.

Bulldog Revolution
16-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Its a difficult one, and one that the media has dealt with superficially

I know personally that I would have trouble flying the flag - I think I would suffer badly from white line fever.

So I would make my focus would be completely on making sure we won the match - because that IMO is the only real way of flying the flag. No point pushing and shoving someone if you dont back it up on the field in terms of performance.

Sockeye Salmon
16-04-2008, 01:01 AM

About 20 minutes later as Hall went for a pack mark Shaggy gave him a beauty - and got away with it.

westdog54
16-04-2008, 01:41 AM

Whenever this topic comes up I think back to the Barnes/Johnson incident. Wynd and Dooley were on him in seconds. Moorcroft ran off the bench straight at Libba. If he didn't give him that black eye then my name is Hermione Granger.

SonofScray
16-04-2008, 01:52 AM
If it happened at my club when I was playing, Hall probably would have gone home in an ambulance to be honest. But that's park footy, where you get those types running around and I dare saying looking for that sort of situation.

I'd be upset if we responded the way WCE did, but you can understand why they were perhaps more restrained than you'd expect. Risk of report/fine is too high, might not have been totally aware of what happened, a bit timid in front of Barry Hall etc.

Still, for mine I agree with Ernie, its not good for team morale, or at least the perceptions of it when you get a weak response like that to a very hard hit. Sometimes you need to take the risk and make that statement that the club won't stand for that- go in for the push and shove, belt them about. Hopefully from there they'd switch back on and make sure that the opposition are on the receiving end on the scoreboard and at the contest for the rest of the day.

All easier said than done though isn't it?

BulldogBelle
16-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Sometimes you've just gotta get stuck in and fly the flag. Your teammate has just been kinghit, you can't let go unchecked in my opinion. You dont have to start a slugfest but a bit of severe remonstration should be on the agenda.

GVGjr
16-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Sometimes you've just gotta get stuck in and fly the flag. Your teammate has just been kinghit, you can't let go unchecked in my opinion. You dont have to start a slugfest but a bit of severe remonstration should be on the agenda.

Whilst I agree, the point I am trying to make is if 4 or 5 players start pushing and shoving one opposition player then it will escalate very quickly.

hujsh
16-04-2008, 10:52 AM
When playing a couple of years ago, this tall guy was pushing one of our smaller blokes so i started pushing him and then 2 of our blokes jumped in and it built momentum and it was 4 or 5 of each players team. But once it built momentum i went to get the ball while the umpire came over. 2 of theirs was sent off as was 1 one of ours. It was the only period where we broke even as we were getting smashed.

So it can help your team if you keep a level head.

SonofScray
02-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Excuse the bump.

This Doggies team was involved a few push and shoves in 2013, along with a noticeable increase in niggle and banter on field. Lower early on set a strong example, Grant in the preseason hinted at a more physically robust game and Libba confirmed he was made of the right stuff in this respect v GWS and Carlton.

GWS was the low point, we got bullied by Sheedy and his kids. Libba Waite and R23 half time melee were highlights.

I'm really comfortable with the idea that playing a hard, physically robust game of footy and demanding players come out snarling might land us in hot water from time to time. I think the fans respond to it really well and the Club is stronger for it. It has a galvanising effect.

Did you notice it ramp up this season?

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Excuse the bump.

This Doggies team was involved a few push and shoves in 2013, along with a noticeable increase in niggle and banter on field. Lower early on set a strong example, Grant in the preseason hinted at a more physically robust game and Libba confirmed he was made of the right stuff in this respect v GWS and Carlton.

GWS was the low point, we got bullied by Sheedy and his kids. Libba Waite and R23 half time melee were highlights.

I'm really comfortable with the idea that playing a hard, physically robust game of footy and demanding players come out snarling might land us in hot water from time to time. I think the fans respond to it really well and the Club is stronger for it. It has a galvanising effect.

Absolutely. They really found their hearts this year, and I perceive a vastly different mentality to the Eade years in terms of toughness. It's not a North Melbourne type “toughness” either, just throwing shit for the sake of it, we seem to be pushing opposition players mentally and keeping them accountable. I noticed our defense opening right up in the last few games but I put this down to end-of-season fatigue. Underneath your shirt there's a heart…

Mofra
02-09-2013, 10:44 AM
It's been far more noticeable in the past two months - we're actively targetting the opposition tagger off the ball with bumps and niggles.

Hunter vs Gawn at Halftime - loved it.

Scraggers
02-09-2013, 10:46 AM
What pleased me most about yesterday's incident, was the whole team came to the defence of their team mates.

I think back to Barry Hall v North Melbourne ... This wasn't that long ago and Big Bustling Bazza was left to fend for himself.

Greystache
02-09-2013, 11:10 AM
It's been far more noticeable in the past two months - we're actively targetting the opposition tagger off the ball with bumps and niggles.

And Roughead saw he was outmuscled and immediately jumped in to help him out- Which was pretty much the reason for things escalating :p

bornadog
02-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Chops, your back :D whoops, this thread is a bump.

Seems the players are looking out more for each other, which is a good thing. The GWS was a low point, yesterday was the high point.

azabob
02-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Liberatore, Minson, Lower and Roughead have always had it in them.

Now the rest of the team is feeding off it.

Ozza
02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
We do seem to have a more 'snarling' attitude.

Even going up to individuals and letting them know when they might have made a bad mistake, or not gone hard enough. Minson targeted Trengove yesterday after Libba ran through the middle and kicked a goal, J.Grant got stuck into Walker from Carlton after a soft effort, Murphy gets stuck into pretty much everyone....and Libba seems pretty vocal out there. Those are just a few examples.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Absolutely loved seeing Roughead and Austin charge at Gawn, nearly putting him over the fence when they saw him wrestling Hunter.

We're already mentally stronger than we were 3-5 years ago.

GVGjr
02-09-2013, 06:59 PM

I didn't. It could have been very costly given just as it was calming down Hunter shoved him in the back for no good reason. I'd be PO'd if we were going into a finals series and Roughead was given a week for defending a stupid act by a team mate.

I don't mind us standing our ground and helping a team etc but we have to display some level of sense.

immortalmike
02-09-2013, 07:15 PM
What pleased me most about yesterday's incident, was the whole team came to the defence of their team mates.

I think back to Barry Hall v North Melbourne ... This wasn't that long ago and Big Bustling Bazza was left to fend for himself.

On the plus side, If you're going to leave anyone to fend for themselves Barry'd be the guy.

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 07:24 PM
On the plus side, If you're going to leave anyone to fend for themselves Barry'd be the guy.

The north boys needed protection, not Barry :D

Maddog37
02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I didn't. It could have been very costly given just as it was calming down Hunter shoved him in the back for no good reason. I'd be PO'd if we were going into a finals series and Roughead was given a week for defending a stupid act by a team mate.

I don't mind us standing our ground and helping a team etc but we have to display some level of sense.

I want us to go further than that. I want us to be antagonistic and intimidating. All part of the difficult to play against mantra of Brendan.

The Underdog
02-09-2013, 08:37 PM
I want us to go further than that. I want us to be antagonistic and intimidating. All part of the difficult to play against mantra of Brendan.

You're not difficult to play against if you're giving away cheap frees and 50m penalties. Aggression is fine, discipline is better.

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 08:45 PM
You're not difficult to play against if you're giving away cheap frees and 50m penalties. Aggression is fine, discipline is better.

Agree. Aggression where it's warranted, not where it's not.

jazzadogs
02-09-2013, 08:50 PM
I think the "Bulldogs" chant as the fight broke out gave a pretty good indication of what the majority of Dogs fans thought of the melee.

wimberga
03-09-2013, 10:49 AM

I understand your point GVG and agree int hat I dont want to see suspensions or anything like that however....

Hunter is the youngest guy at the club. He's I believe youngest or second youngest in the club. And Max Gawn is a big guy.

I would have been more disappointed if no-one stuck up for him then, cooling down or not. I had a very good angle from level three and it was certainly cooling down until the guys saw Hunter copping it from the big guy with a couple of other dees behind him.

Mofra
03-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Gawn (I think) whacked Libba in the square before two of the quarters, Libba just ignored it like it was a fly. Tough.

SonofScray
03-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Gawn (I think) whacked Libba in the square before two of the quarters, Libba just ignored it like it was a fly. Tough.

He also went in v Waite who was giving the treatment to Picken a few weeks back. There is room for it all, timing in the key. Don't get rattled by pests in one on one scenarios, hold the opposition accountable for shit acts.

If the boys come out snarling, the fans will respond.

GVGjr
03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
Hunter is the youngest guy at the club. He's I believe youngest or second youngest in the club. And Max Gawn is a big guy.

I would have been more disappointed if no-one stuck up for him then, cooling down or not. I had a very good angle from level three and it was certainly cooling down until the guys saw Hunter copping it from the big guy with a couple of other dees behind him.

Of course we would have all been disappointed if no one stuck up for him but things had calmed down and he just inflamed it leaving Roughead no choice.

I like to see spirit just no stupidity and from what I saw it was a stupid act.

mighty_west
03-09-2013, 08:27 PM
He also went in v Waite who was giving the treatment to Picken a few weeks back. There is room for it all, timing in the key. Don't get rattled by pests in one on one scenarios, hold the opposition accountable for shit acts.

If the boys come out snarling, the fans will respond.

Libba was also first in when that GWS kid decked Cooney from behind, and unfortunately Wallis just let it slide before Libba got in there to stick up for Coons..

Twodogs
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
There is room for it all, timing in the key.

Mmmm. Patience is a virtue.

Of course we would have all been disappointed if no one stuck up for him but things had calmed down and he just inflamed it leaving Roughead no choice.

I like to see spirit just no stupidity and from what I saw it was a stupid act.

He's young. He'll learn.

LostDoggy
04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
I think the "Bulldogs" chant as the fight broke out gave a pretty good indication of what the majority of Dogs fans thought of the melee.

Have to agree with you. It gave me tingles that I haven't felt in years.

AndrewP6
04-09-2013, 08:39 PM

Really? Our three PF's did that for mine. I thought it (the melee) was really pointless.

always right
04-09-2013, 10:44 PM

Totally agree.......the chant was so spontaneous. Nice to hear a bulldogs crowd get so loud.

LostDoggy
04-09-2013, 11:44 PM
Really? Our three PF's did that for mine. I thought it (the melee) was really pointless.

The fight was one thing, the chant another.

wb_age
05-09-2013, 08:03 AM

I disagree with the above, Gawn had done the exact same thing to Dahlhaus, Hunter saw it and returned the favor. He was sticking up for Lukey D.

Twodogs
05-09-2013, 08:24 AM
I disagree with the above, Gawn had done the exact same thing to Dahlhaus, Hunter saw it and returned the favor. He was sticking up for Lukey D.

Yep. I've watched it a few times and that's exactly how it went down. You stand up for your mates first then worry about the consequences later.

OLD SCRAGGer
05-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Macca made mention of that in his speech at B n F last night, said he was THRILLED to hear it and wanted to THANK the supporters

GVGjr
05-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Yep. I've watched it a few times and that's exactly how it went down. You stand up for your mates first then worry about the consequences later.

Not in push and shoves. There is no real consequences in these test of strengths unless stupidity raises it's head.

It always seems to be little blokes pushing people in the back just as things start to quieten down.