PDA

View Full Version : The rise and rise of online betting in Australia

Dry Rot
12-08-2023, 07:26 PM
I think this a pretty bad trend

Today, the online betting industry is worth an estimated $74 billion US globally per year, and rising. Surprisingly, online betting in Australia got its start in the outback town of Alice Springs. Decades later, these companies are spending millions on advertising during sports broadcasts, raising concerns about potential gambling harm.

A good listen

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/online-betting-rise/102704814

Topdog
12-08-2023, 08:00 PM
It's an awful industry in Australia in particular and any winners are quickly limited and blocked from actually betting. No protection at all for the bettor.

Grantysghost
12-08-2023, 08:24 PM
It's an awful industry in Australia in particular and any winners are quickly limited and blocked from actually betting. No protection at all for the bettor.

Yes my friend was blocked from all of them because he was doing matched betting and winning.

bornadog
12-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Worse part is all the advertising

angelopetraglia
14-08-2023, 09:40 PM
Someone needs to stand up in this country and just ban all advertising for sports gambling. Can't believe it is still allowed.

EasternWest
14-08-2023, 10:08 PM
Someone needs to stand up in this country.

See there's your problem right there. Expecting leadership from compromised people desperate to cling on to power.

macca
14-08-2023, 11:43 PM
Worse part is all the advertising

its actually terrible that they allow the advertisement of going through the odds on TV
Nathan brown hosting these segments so joyfly reading script , not something i would like children to see.

angelopetraglia
14-08-2023, 11:47 PM
its actually terrible that they allow the advertisement of going through the odds.

That the odds are built into the fixture on the AFL app that every kid has on their phone. Seriously. For all the moral high ground virtual signaling on every issue the AFL does yet they are happy to get into bed with sports gambling tells you everything you need to know.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-08-2023, 08:03 PM
100 % on all the above comments.

I remember being at the footy 15 years ago with my 10 year old son. At half time they must have put the odds up on the scoreboard and he said to me "look Dad, we're favourite to win". It blew me away because i had never explained odds to him. As a non gambler i barely understood them myself!