PDA

View Full Version : What's the dumbest thing you've seen on a football field?

jazzadogs
13-08-2023, 09:46 PM
And why is it Tim English taking a kick in with 45 seconds on the clock, cantering through the defensive 50 like a headless giraffe, when he could have simply not done that.

Please tell me: what have you seen that is dumber than what happened today? Bonus points if it is not Bulldogs related, as it will ease the pain.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 09:48 PM
Pass. You win.

EasternWest
13-08-2023, 09:51 PM
And why is it Tim English taking a kick in with 45 seconds on the clock, cantering through the defensive 50 like a headless giraffe, when he could have simply not done that.

Please tell me: what have you seen that is dumber than what happened today? Bonus points if it is not Bulldogs related, as it will ease the pain.

Kinda Bulldogs related, but pretty farking dumb. I saw a guy today watch five minutes of our game on one tv the walk through to another room where the same game was on another tv and he looked at the screen then turned to another guy and said "who's playing?".

That's pretty dumb.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2023, 09:58 PM
Kinda Bulldogs related, but pretty farking dumb. I saw a guy today watch five minutes of our game on one tv the walk through to another room where the same game was on another tv and he looked at the screen then turned to another guy and said "who's playing?".

That's pretty dumb.

Worse. This is the impact the this team has on the neutrals/ the general public… no wonder journos won’t write anything about this side.

Grantysghost
13-08-2023, 10:06 PM

Headless giraffe haha gold

1eyedog
13-08-2023, 10:07 PM

100% should have been the long target up the guts. One of the weirdest things I've seen on a footy field.

1eyedog
13-08-2023, 10:08 PM

That's pretty dumb.

Lulz

bornadog
13-08-2023, 11:33 PM
45 seconds to go English was in goal square, no time to waste just get the ball and go.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-08-2023, 11:34 PM
100% should have been the long target up the guts. One of the weirdest things I've seen on a footy field.

HE should have been the target.

The dumbest thing is the fact HE took the kick in to begin with.

jeemak
13-08-2023, 11:46 PM
Yep, with the game clock stopped he just needs to sprint down the guts and let someone else kick the ball in.

Lever's meltdown in the final last year was pretty epic.

Sedat
14-08-2023, 01:24 AM
45 seconds to go English was in goal square, no time to waste just get the ball and go.
Richards was next to him and should have demanded the ball, which was the exact same play 2 minutes earlier that resulted in a coast-to-coast goal for us. Both players are equally culpable - it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen from a professional footy team, and it shows we are too often a talent based team instead of a system based one.

We suck at doing the little things.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 08:22 AM
Richards was next to him and should have demanded the ball, which was the exact same play 2 minutes earlier that resulted in a coast-to-coast goal for us. Both players are equally culpable - it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen from a professional footy team, and it shows we are too often a talent based team instead of a system based one.

I don't get the angst, apart from it looking strange he moved the ball half the field, I doubt the Hawks were set up the same way as the Richards kick out also.

azabob
14-08-2023, 09:07 AM

Doesn't the clock stop when a kick in is taken?

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 09:11 AM

In accordance with Law 10.5.2, the time clock does not run until the player kicking in has brought the ball back into play – either by kicking or being called to play on.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2023, 09:16 AM

Yep. All he needed to do was put the ball on the ground in the square, wait for a good kicker to run back to pick it up, and sprint up the ground. That easy.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 09:32 AM
I guess the Hawks get all their numbers back in that time too.
We got it to the wing and won the contest but no free was given.
The play worked.. Well kind of.

My biggest question is who was supposed to be the high tall forward on the wing.

Eg Lobb.

Maybe Tim's headless giraffe was hard to position for... Ha that analogy.

JanLorMill
14-08-2023, 09:34 AM
It was dumb but I think the game was lost by then anyway. English was probably spent and didn’t want to be the target?
Naughton’s goal kicking is dumber on a consistency.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2023, 09:40 AM
It was dumb but I think the game was lost by then anyway. English was probably spent and didn’t want to be the target?
Naughton’s goal kicking is dumber on a consistency.

But he’s an awesome mark. No need to focus on goal kicking all the time.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 09:47 AM
But he’s an awesome mark. No need to focus on goal kicking all the time.

I think we need to take him up the ground if we aren't going to play him in defence.

He could play a HFF/Wing role for sure.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2023, 09:50 AM
I think we need to take him up the ground if we aren't going to play him in defence.

He could play a HFF/Wing role for sure.

We need to do something. We will pay him way over $1M a season, and we need a better return than 30+ missed set shots a year. Many fairly straightforward. The ROI isn’t great. A part from some huge marks which don’t count on the scoreboard.

jazzadogs
14-08-2023, 09:55 AM
Yep, with the game clock stopped he just needs to sprint down the guts and let someone else kick the ball in.

Lever's meltdown in the final last year was pretty epic.

This is a great nomination. I have a gif of him jumping on the spot and spinning around like a petulant toddler. I watch it when I'm feeling down.

EasternWest
14-08-2023, 09:56 AM
This is a great nomination. I have a gif of him jumping on the spot and spinning around like a petulant toddler. I watch it when I'm feeling down.

What kind of monster makes a comment like this then doesn't post the gif?

jazzadogs
14-08-2023, 09:58 AM

Tbf I think Richards ran to the pocket expecting Tim to handball it to him. Richards and Poulter had a 2v1 on that side, with another 1v1 out on the wing.

I have no issue with English not being the long option. He was on the goal line ready to touch another shot if needed. But he should not have taken the kick in.

Side note, Bailey Dale's contest on the wing to win the ball was outstanding.

Mofra
14-08-2023, 09:58 AM
HE should have been the target.

The dumbest thing is the fact HE took the kick in to begin with.
If he's on the goalline doing what a ruck should be doing when the opposition kick for goal, then with 45 seconds left bring the ball in before the Hawks had set up their defensive structure, Tim did 100% the right thing.

When there's 45 seconds left in a game, time matters.

jazzadogs
14-08-2023, 09:59 AM
What kind of monster makes a comment like this then doesn't post the gif?

Its been 15 years and I have no idea how to post a gif from my phone gallery in to a woof thread.

Mofra
14-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Yep. All he needed to do was put the ball on the ground in the square, wait for a good kicker to run back to pick it up, and sprint up the ground. That easy.
... and give them time for the Hawks to set up defensively?

No thanks

bornadog
14-08-2023, 10:03 AM
... and give them time for the Hawks to set up defensively?

No thanks

That was my point with 45 seconds left, they needed to get the ball moving quickly, before Hawks could set up.

Sedat
14-08-2023, 10:11 AM
If he's on the goalline doing what a ruck should be doing when the opposition kick for goal, then with 45 seconds left bring the ball in before the Hawks had set up their defensive structure, Tim did 100% the right thing.

No time would have been lost at all if Richards, who was right next to English, took the kick-in and ran it out with pace and deliver with precision, just as he did 2 minutes earlier for the Bailey Williams goal. That is Richards' role in the team and I bet in situational training during pre-season for last 2 minutes, he would be the one to execute such a strategy - I doubt very much English taking the kick-in would have been trained once in the off-season.

English loping around hesitating and not knowing what to do showed that our head wasn't in the game (not English's sole fault, it's joint responsibility for 2 players who have more than enough experience and should know better). The little things make a big difference. Anyway we got our just desserts on the day - Hawthorn were 10x better across all key metrics. A win would have been a fantastic from a 2023 result perspective but we have some deep issues with game plan and structure - more than any other club, we are relying on talent to get us over the line instead of structure. That's just not going to get it done in 2023.

The contrast between our club in the last 2 seasons and 2016 is stark. We were not the most talented team in 2016 but we took care of all the little things - every player knew their roles and responsibilities and they executed under the hottest of pressure situations away from home and against more talented teams. Even off the ground our decisions were spot on in 2016 - strapping Lin Jong's uninjured shoulder a small example of the club being totally in sync for those 4 weeks (and most of the season to be fair). We are undoubtedly more talented now that we were when we won the flag, but talent will not succeed without structure and discipline.

JanLorMill
14-08-2023, 10:18 AM

What was he doing hanging around the goal square once it was clear it was going to be a point? This is the problem and it’s not Tim. It’s a leadership issue.

Mofra
14-08-2023, 10:19 AM
No time would have been lost at all if Richards, who was right next to English, took the kick-in and ran it out with pace and deliver with precision, just as he did 2 minutes earlier for the Bailey Williams goal. That is Richards' role in the team and I bet in situational training during pre-season for last 2 minutes, he would be the one to execute such a strategy - I doubt very much English taking the kick-in would have been trained once in the off-season.\
We struggled to get through the Hawks set up all day.
If the choice was kicking through them before they set up, or after they set up, I know which I'd prefer. So yes, time was an issue in terms of where the Hawks players were positioned at that time.

Of all the dumb things we do on a football field (and we probably had half a dozen poor entries into the F50 yesterday that had a far bigger bearing on the result), this was one time we actually had the right strategy.

1eyedog
14-08-2023, 10:23 AM
That was my point with 45 seconds left, they needed to get the ball moving quickly, before Hawks could set up.

So he ambles out of the square blowing 10 seconds deciding what to do and then kicks it to the boundary line looking for what? A throw in that he wont even make?

Better to put it on the ground in the square and give the ball to Richards to launch a chaos ball into the middle.

Agree though that the game was done anyway.

Sedat
14-08-2023, 10:25 AM
We struggled to get through the Hawks set up all day.
If the choice was kicking through them before they set up, or after they set up, I know which I'd prefer. So yes, time was an issue in terms of where the Hawks players were positioned at that time.

Of all the dumb things we do on a football field (and we probably had half a dozen poor entries into the F50 yesterday that had a far bigger bearing on the result), this was one time we actually had the right strategy.
True, but not 2 minutes earlier Richards sliced through the Hawks set-up like butter from kick-in. You've got to back your specific role players in to perform their roles. Hawthorn were flagging in the last 10 minutes, and that was our best chance to (again) breach their full ground set-up like we did 2 minutes earlier.

We were a million to one shot with English bouncing and hesitating 25m from the Hawks goal line. It's a small example but once again it shows we are relying on individual talent (hoping for a Hail Mary play), rather than specific structure and execution.

1eyedog
14-08-2023, 10:29 AM

Richards and Poulter were within 5m of Tim when he took the mark across the point line. Richards was actually facing him and I assume was expecting the ball.

There was no issue time wise re. allowing Hawthorn to set up defensively if English did what he should have done and handed the ball to Richards. At least we know Richards plays on quick and only has to get around Reeves who was 20m out preparing to mark English.

Richards could have put the ball into the centre square over Hawthorn's defence quicker than Tim kicked it to the boundary.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 10:34 AM
No time would have been lost at all if Richards, who was right next to English, took the kick-in and ran it out with pace and deliver with precision, just as he did 2 minutes earlier for the Bailey Williams goal. That is Richards' role in the team and I bet in situational training during pre-season for last 2 minutes, he would be the one to execute such a strategy - I doubt very much English taking the kick-in would have been trained once in the off-season.

English loping around hesitating and not knowing what to do showed that our head wasn't in the game (not English's sole fault, it's joint responsibility for 2 players who have more than enough experience and should know better). The little things make a big difference. Anyway we got our just desserts on the day - Hawthorn were 10x better across all key metrics. A win would have been a fantastic from a 2023 result perspective but we have some deep issues with game plan and structure - more than any other club, we are relying on talent to get us over the line instead of structure. That's just not going to get it done in 2023.

The contrast between our club in the last 2 seasons and 2016 is stark. We were not the most talented team in 2016 but we took care of all the little things - every player knew their roles and responsibilities and they executed under the hottest of pressure situations away from home and against more talented teams. Even off the ground our decisions were spot on in 2016 - strapping Lin Jong's uninjured shoulder a small example of the club being totally in sync for those 4 weeks (and most of the season to be fair). We are undoubtedly more talented now that we were when we won the flag, but talent will not succeed without structure and discipline.

Ed also kicked it straight to the oppo for a goal.

1eyedog
14-08-2023, 10:39 AM

You would assume Ed would go long with 45 seconds left.

Everyone made mistakes yesterday including English so we just have to wear it.

1eyedog
14-08-2023, 10:41 AM

And desire. Melbourne took more than our song in 2021.

Sedat
14-08-2023, 10:43 AM
There's a minute to go and the Pies are 3 points down and kicking in. Are they going to give the ball to Mason Cox/Darcy Cameron or will they give it to a Noble/Quaynor type even if they conceded a goal from kick-in earlier in the day?

Players need to know their role for the full 120 minutes.

Topdog
14-08-2023, 11:14 AM
There's a minute to go and the Pies are 3 points down and kicking in. Are they going to give the ball to Mason Cox/Darcy Cameron or will they give it to a Noble/Quaynor type even if they conceded a goal from kick-in earlier in the day?

Players need to know their role for the full 120 minutes.

100% this. It's easy to say it was fine and Tim just needed to handball to Richards BUT Tim is a ruckman and making that quick decision to handball to Richards isnt something that comes to him naturally. He was lost and confused because he never takes kick ins.

I have no problem with Tim not being down the ground to take the mark, there was no time for that but not putting the ball down for Richards - and Richards is equally at fault here - is unacceptable.

EasternWest
14-08-2023, 12:30 PM
Its been 15 years and I have no idea how to post a gif from my phone gallery in to a woof thread.

Monster.

Grantysghost has entered the chat.

bornadog
14-08-2023, 12:41 PM
You would assume Ed would go long with 45 seconds left.

Everyone made mistakes yesterday including English so we just have to wear it.

I love Ed but every week he does something stupid by his silly short kicks and they end up costing us.

In a game where its is less than a goal in it, every small thing, or mistake as you say plays a part.

lemmon
14-08-2023, 12:57 PM
100% this. It's easy to say it was fine and Tim just needed to handball to Richards BUT Tim is a ruckman and making that quick decision to handball to Richards isnt something that comes to him naturally. He was lost and confused because he never takes kick ins.

I have no problem with Tim not being down the ground to take the mark, there was no time for that but not putting the ball down for Richards - and Richards is equally at fault here - is unacceptable.

You'd also have thought this was a scenario drilled at training a number of times over the year.

The 'you're 5 points down with 1 minute to go and have the kick-out' scenario must be a staple for every side around the country. I can't imagine that drill involved English taking a kick wide to Bailey Dale? I know it was a 's**t, we need to get this moving' moment, but that's when you'd hope we're falling back on training scenarios.

I wonder if Bailey Dale being moved forward had something to do with the confusion. He is the one I'd imagine they've drilled with as the designated kicker (not that it's an excuse for your ruck being next cab off the rank and Richards not demanding the footy).

I also thought that kick really had to go down the guts. I know we usually prefer to move the footy along the wing, but you just have to roll the dice through the centre in that situation.

bornadog
14-08-2023, 01:42 PM
You'd also have thought this was a scenario drilled at training a number of times over the year.

The 'you're 5 points down with 1 minute to go and have the kick-out' scenario must be a staple for every side around the country. I can't imagine that drill involved English taking a kick wide to Bailey Dale? I know it was a 's**t, we need to get this moving' moment, but that's when you'd hope we're falling back on training scenarios.

I wonder if Bailey Dale being moved forward had something to do with the confusion. He is the one I'd imagine they've drilled with as the designated kicker (not that it's an excuse for your ruck being next cab off the rank and Richards not demanding the footy).

I also thought that kick really had to go down the guts. I know we usually prefer to move the footy along the wing, but you just have to roll the dice through the centre in that situation.

I just had another look at it. English has the ball, and Ed is standing next to him, but Ed decides to run on and call out for English to kick it to him - so English has no choice but to kick out. Ed is quickly covered by a Hawks player and English is left to decide what to do and the rest is history. The ball did go to Dale and should have received a free for around the neck.

In the end it is all academic and we shouldn't have been in that position.

chef
14-08-2023, 02:27 PM
Rohan Smith on Robran in that Prelim probably still tops it.

bornadog
14-08-2023, 02:29 PM

Haha Chef, remember that well - it was a disaster

jazzadogs
14-08-2023, 02:31 PM

Is this why we fired him 25 years later?

jazzadogs
14-08-2023, 02:33 PM

This summarises my views. Horrible game sense from all the players - and some blame has to go on the coaches because the players shouldn't have even had to think about the best option. They should have all known what our team plan was for a <1 goal deficit with <1 minutes remaining scenario

Sedat
14-08-2023, 02:34 PM
I just had another look at it. English has the ball, and Ed is standing next to him, but Ed decides to run on and call out for English to kick it to him - so English has no choice but to kick out. Ed is quickly covered by a Hawks player and English is left to decide what to do and the rest is history. The ball did go to Dale and should have received a free for around the neck.

In the end it is all academic and we shouldn't have been in that position.
Ed is more culpable than Tim in that instance but both players should have known their respective roles. I would back Ed to run around Reeves much easier than Tim to try and break the next line of Hawk defence - it's not about Tim being at the next contest (he did the right thing being on the goal line for the initial Hawk shot at goal).

It's all about having your head in the game and both players failed to do so. I know it's all academic and we shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place, but give me an undeserved get out of jail win over a loss any day.

As for the next play, Dale getting a free would have slowed the play down in any event. Even then he went inboard by hand to a player just past D50 who was covered instead of kicking inboard to the free Dogs players in the middle. Both Dale and the player who received the handball and was caught HTB (can't remember who it was) showed poor situational awareness.

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 02:55 PM
Is this why we fired him 25 years later?

About bloody time too !

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 02:56 PM

Libba on Mcleod too. Urgh why are we always someone's bunny!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-08-2023, 03:02 PM
Lake pushing Reiwoldt (apologies for spelling) over after the umpire specifically told them a free kick would be paid for any contact

EasternWest
14-08-2023, 03:28 PM
Lake pushing Reiwoldt (apologies for spelling) over after the umpire specifically told them a free kick would be paid for any contact

Absolutely moronic by Lake. At least wait until the umpire isn't actually looking straight at him.

jazzadogs
14-08-2023, 04:14 PM

See I'm already feeling better about English's brain fade!

Mofra
14-08-2023, 04:26 PM
True, but not 2 minutes earlier Richards sliced through the Hawks set-up like butter from kick-in. You've got to back your specific role players in to perform their roles. Hawthorn were flagging in the last 10 minutes, and that was our best chance to (again) breach their full ground set-up like we did 2 minutes earlier.

Richards also had a horror turnover gifting the Hawks a goal in a 3 point game, so Richards slicing through the zone was certainly no guarantee.
I suspect if English did put the ball down and someone else (Dale or Richards) did take the kick in, we'd have a thread like this criticising English for not playing on quickly.

Personally, I could probably think of a dozen decisions that cost us the game before English's quick kick in. Bailey Williams turning into an opponent at the death is probably up there.
And of course, our mids once again refusing to adjust to take defensive positions while Newcombe was waltzing the ball out of the centre in the 2nd & 3rd quarters

Mofra
14-08-2023, 04:27 PM
Hardie on Matthews in 85 vibes.

On the bright side, at least Poulter was kicking in the correct direction yesterday...

bulldogtragic
14-08-2023, 04:34 PM
Flip side dumb.

Sicily looks at Rhylee West a metre from him for the kick in, then plays on at an ambling pace. Still don’t know what Sicily was thinking.

Mofra
14-08-2023, 04:38 PM
Flip side dumb.

Sicily looks at Rhylee West a metre from him for the kick in, then plays on at an ambling pace. Still don’t know what Sicily was thinking.
Probably the same thing that Will Minson was in that wonderful moment when he tried to break a tackle by... taking a bounce

bornadog
14-08-2023, 04:50 PM
Hardie on Matthews in 85 vibes.

On the bright side, at least Poulter was kicking in the correct direction yesterday...

David Rodan kicks through wrong goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7R9xGDTCE

EasternWest
14-08-2023, 05:17 PM
David Rodan kicks through wrong goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa7R9xGDTCE

https://i.postimg.cc/kX6pb5mf/download.jpg

angelopetraglia
14-08-2023, 05:23 PM
Sometimes you can only laugh.

"If Rodney Eade was still Coaching Tim English…"

https://twitter.com/SportTalkAUS/status/1690646590388883456?s=20

Grantysghost
14-08-2023, 05:24 PM

"If Rodney Eade was still Coaching Tim English…"

Ahahaaaaa. Gold!

bornadog
14-08-2023, 05:40 PM
Ahahaaaaa. Gold!

Would have deserved the spray :D

Have a look at Ed letting Tim take the kick in.

angelopetraglia
14-08-2023, 09:30 PM
Well. We made Sam Mitchell happy. "I'm glad it was him kicking ...." https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1691032375206035456?s=20

jeemak
14-08-2023, 09:44 PM
Richards also had a horror turnover gifting the Hawks a goal in a 3 point game, so Richards slicing through the zone was certainly no guarantee.
I suspect if English did put the ball down and someone else (Dale or Richards) did take the kick in, we'd have a thread like this criticising English for not playing on quickly.

Personally, I could probably think of a dozen decisions that cost us the game before English's quick kick in. Bailey Williams turning into an opponent at the death is probably up there.
And of course, our mids once again refusing to adjust to take defensive positions while Newcombe was waltzing the ball out of the centre in the 2nd & 3rd quarters

The English moment didn't cost us the game, however, it was a fitting end to a complete bed shitting that not only looked ridiculous but was ridiculous given the circumstances.

Nobody is going to expect a coast to coast goal with 45 seconds left on the clock. But also nobody expects the ruck to take the kick-in either.

jeemak
14-08-2023, 09:47 PM

"If Rodney Eade was still Coaching Tim English?"

Using the "s" word is so old school.

BornInDroopSt'54
16-08-2023, 01:35 AM
Your point is how dumb of English yes unforgivable.
The player for our seconds who flew to mark a bird was dumb.

Sedat
16-08-2023, 11:19 AM
Nobody is going to expect a coast to coast goal with 45 seconds left on the clock. But also nobody expects the ruck to take the kick-in either.
Except we did 2 minutes earlier when Richards took the kick-in - we actually went coast-to-coast in less than 20 seconds for the Bailey Williams goal, and that entire passage was perfectly executed.

It's not about the fact we didn't score in that last play. It just shows to me that our heads weren't in the game, which honestly isn't good enough for professional footballers who have (presumably) done ample scenario training to explicitly know their specific roles and responsibilities when either just behind or just in front with less than 2 minutes to go. And it doesn't stop at English and Richards - Bailey Dale and the other player who demanded the ball by hand and was caught HTB in the next passage (when the obvious play was for Dale to switch kick in-board to the free players in the centre square) also didn't have their heads in the game.

It is disheartening to see such a random-ass Hail Mary play, and it was kind of fitting in the scheme of things with how disconnected and lacking in intensity and clarity we played all game.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2023, 11:27 AM
Except we did 2 minutes earlier when Richards took the kick-in - we actually went coast-to-coast in less than 20 seconds for the Bailey Williams goal, and that entire passage was perfectly executed.

It's not about the fact we didn't score in that last play. It just shows to me that our heads weren't in the game, which honestly isn't good enough for professional footballers who have (presumably) done ample scenario training to explicitly know their specific roles and responsibilities when either just behind or just in front with less than 2 minutes to go. And it doesn't stop at English and Richards - Bailey Dale and the other player who demanded the ball by hand and was caught HTB in the next passage (when the obvious play was for Dale to switch kick in-board to the free players in the centre square) also didn't have their heads in the game.

It is disheartening to see such a random-ass Hail Mary play, and it was kind of fitting in the scheme of things with how disconnected and lacking in intensity and clarity we played all game.

I think the wasted time on the bounce with his first step and valuable seconds running around almost lost accentuates the play. If he Hail Mary’d a 55 bomb after a short sprint to where Naughton was while he might be critiqued for it, it was a better option than take it, amble out, bounce for no reason, look for himself and then seem lost, amble about burning down the clock and kick to the wing to not a great option. I think it was the entire aspects of it in its totality that seems absurd.

But, let’s just hope we never see that play again!

Sedat
16-08-2023, 11:43 AM
I think the wasted time on the bounce with his first step and valuable seconds running around almost lost accentuates the play. If he Hail Mary’d a 55 bomb after a short sprint to where Naughton was while he might be critiqued for it, it was a better option than take it, amble out, bounce for no reason, look for himself and then seem lost, amble about burning down the clock and kick to the wing to not a great option. I think it was the entire aspects of it in its totality that seems absurd.

But, let’s just hope we never see that play again!
The long bomb might have been trained in scenario training - I would wager the giraffe-like ambling 20m out from defensive goal for a bounce, coupled with some marauding sideways loping, hasn't been scenario trained. But taking a step back, Richards should have taken the ball off English in the first place.

And even by some dumb luck after English's kick, Dale managed to get clear (he actually did well to halve the contest and should have won a free kick for too high, which would have ironically punished us with time wasted) and had a chance to kick in-board, he chose a poor option to handball to the player already under pressure running toward the boundary - and that player should never have demanded the ball in the first place.

Success has many fathers and failure usually is an orphan, but there were many fathers in that whole 20 seconds of failure.

Hotdog60
16-08-2023, 12:52 PM
Yes it could be looked at in different ways depending on the out come. We would be singing Tims brilliance if kicking to Dale who won the ball decided to baulk the on coming player and proceed to kick it long to Naughton who manages to finally kick a goal in the dying seconds of the game.
I think we would have a different outlook.
Maybe Richards should have taken it of English and Dale should never of handballed to Williams who the oppo had already started to line up.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 01:09 PM
One of the dumbest things was in a game early 80s, Footscray v Collingwood at Western Oval. Pies in front the whole day and with about 30 seconds to go, Pies in front by less than a goal. Gubby Allan decides the best option is to kick the ball across the ground from the back pocket boundary line. Beasley cuts if off directly in front, kicks the goal and siren goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USU65P0Swk

Hotdog60
16-08-2023, 01:24 PM
That one never gets old. :)

jazzadogs
16-08-2023, 05:09 PM
One of the dumbest things was in a game early 80s, Footscray v Collingwood at Western Oval. Pies in front the whole day and with about 30 seconds to go, Pies in front by less than a goal. Gubby Allan decides the best option is to kick the ball across the ground from the back pocket boundary line. Beasley cuts if off directly in front, kicks the goal and siren goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1USU65P0Swk

When I started the thread, I knew this would come up eventually.

bornadog
16-08-2023, 05:12 PM
When I started the thread, I knew this would come up eventually.

I seem to remember that day so well. It was fun seeing the looks on the Pies fans faces

BornInDroopSt'54
19-08-2023, 11:59 PM
The Geelong back dude, with game still to be won who tonight kicked it into the back of his team mate, regained it and kicked it to opposition in front of goal

macca
20-08-2023, 08:29 PM
Todays effort

We had everything to play for , a win to play in the finals

Now we look like finishing 9th , which is the worst place to finish in terms of draft currency .
Playing list is not good enough to make finals , too many list cloggers to trade out

Very poor day , the first quarter effort really was a let down , Being the first game I have watched live in 5 years

bulldogtragic
20-08-2023, 08:48 PM
Todays effort

We had everything to play for , a win to play in the finals

Now we look like finishing 9th , which is the worst place to finish in terms of draft currency .
Playing list is not good enough to make finals , too many lost cloggers to trade out

Very poor day , the first quarter effort really was a let down , Being the first game I have watched live in 5 years

No, 11th. Geelong will leap frog us with Adelaide.