PDA

View Full Version : CBAs - What is the right mix

hujsh
27-08-2023, 04:29 PM
Centre Bounce Attendances tonight. We just relied on the old guard mids with Lobb getting a lot more time than normal. (Last week. English 26. Lobb 4.)

Treloar 27
Libba 23
Bont 23
English 16
Lobb 14
West 11
McLean 6

Based on this I thought an interesting discussion would be what mix would WOOFers have of CBA attendances. Based on 30 per game as above or a % breakdown.

Through the year there has been a clear preference for English, Bont, Libba and Treloar to spend as much time in the middle as possible with Lobb chipping in and Macrae/Smith getting the scraps. We've had the most narrow mix of players in the middle though the year so next week (or next year let's keep the thread flexible beyond whether we make finals or not) what mix do you go with?

hujsh
27-08-2023, 04:38 PM
My breakdown

For the Rucks I'd start with English in the middle and probably aim 60-40 with him and Lobb (so 18-12) but this one I think can be pretty flexible. If we're seeing Wenglish maybe shift that to 75% his way but if it's Lenglish night see how Lobb goes and move the balance more in his favour 50 or even 60% his way.

I kind of like the idea we had in 21 of midfield pairs so I might use that as a basis.
Libba 24 CBAs and West 6
Treloar 20 CBAs Smith 10
Bont completely depends on how he's going and how the other mids are going. If he's being tagged hard and the spare back is killing us maybe make him the forward who has freedom to roam? Do they let their tagger start in defence or does the spare back start on Bont? Can we create some chaos or spare players when they swap over?

Generally speaking I'd give him 23 CBA and the other 7 to Macrae or whoever is playing best of West and Smith. Maybe Smith if he's doing a job like he did on Cripps effectively.

Go_Dogs
27-08-2023, 07:35 PM
I like that English / Lobb split you stated.

I’d go more regular mix ups with a core of Bont (doing 75%+ subject to match ups) Libba doing 75%+ with at least one of them at each CB and then Treloar, Smith, Macrae, Daniel, West, Weightman all getting some opportunity in there.

GVGjr
27-08-2023, 08:17 PM
I'd love to know why we've pretty much gone with a restricted access set-up for our midfield rotations this year but I'd be okay with English doing 75% or even 80% of the contests.
We've got some juggling to do to get the likes of Macrae and Smith more involved with our CBA's and I agree with GD about getting Weightman a bit more into the mix. The other player I would consider is Williams and I wonder if we can continue to shuffle Daniel around as much as we have been.

ledge
27-08-2023, 08:22 PM
This might seem a little left field but with Weightmans pace and his desire to go in and under . Could he possibly play in the middle and give us some more speed and run ?
I think it’s worth trying in some shape or form .

Bumper Bulldogs
27-08-2023, 09:25 PM
Libba 24 CBAs and West 6.

This is so important for us moving forward. West will end up taking over from Libba in years to come. We need to blood him now Libba also could be that pressure forward we need as well.

bulldogtragic
27-08-2023, 09:28 PM
Grundy & Harley Reid. No?

josie
27-08-2023, 09:36 PM
I thought club saw Garcia as Libba replacement. I hope both can play there but sometime soon we’ll also need to draft some taller, quicker mids too.

GVGjr
27-08-2023, 09:50 PM
I thought club saw Garcia as Libba replacement. I hope both can play there but sometime soon we’ll also need to draft some taller, quicker mids too.

That was conveyed to me last year. Garcia will need to get fit, stay fit and start performing if he is to build a career with us.

Mantis
27-08-2023, 10:33 PM
We've got some juggling to do to get the likes of Macrae and Smith more involved with our CBA's and I agree with GD about getting Weightman a bit more into the mix. The other player I would consider is Williams and I wonder if we can continue to shuffle Daniel around as much as we have been.

I understand what Smith brings to a midfield role (burst away pace), but what exactly will Macrae bring to the centre square?

For me if he isn’t playing as a defensive mid he doesn’t warrant any time in there.

Sedat
28-08-2023, 02:50 PM
I understand what Smith brings to a midfield role (burst away pace), but what exactly will Macrae bring to the centre square?

For me if he isn?t playing as a defensive mid he doesn?t warrant any time in there.
Can Macrae become a two-way hard running wingman? The clear blueprint is Angus Brayshaw, who was a "see-ball get-ball" midfielder but adapted/sacrificed his game to fantastic individual and team effect in 2021. They've all showed signs from time to time, but none of our other wings in 2023 has yet to command a permanent spot (Baker, Poulter, Williams).

I can't see Macrae succeeding as a defensive run-with mid (too slow) but I can see him become an effective wingman. It's not about leg speed on the wings but more the ability to gut-run for 120 minutes in both directions (see Hunter).

Mantis
28-08-2023, 02:52 PM
I can't see Macrae succeeding as a defensive run-with mid (too slow) but I can see him become an effective wingman. It's not about leg speed on the wings but more the ability to gut-run for 120 minutes in both directions (see Hunter).

The most effective run with player in the last 15 years is Cameron Ling and he is slower than you! But he had a big frame and knew how to position it... that's the blueprint in my eyes.

Sedat
28-08-2023, 02:59 PM
The most effective run with player in the last 15 years is Cameron Ling and he is slower than you! But he had a big frame and knew how to position it... that's the blueprint in my eyes.
I've picked up a yard the last 12 months ;)

I guess Macrae could become a defensive run-with minded mid but it would take a significant change of mindset. He has a pretty big tank as well so I could see him make a success of the wing. I don't really want to see him as a high half-forward (or Libba either, which he was early in the season). Having so many quality ball-winning mids has been more of a curse than a blessing the last 2 years and 40 minutes.

Cotchin also transformed his game (with your suggested blueprint as a defensive minded mid) to rather good effect from 2017 onwards.