PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good footballer?

merantau
04-09-2023, 09:39 AM
Over the years we've all seen lots of footballers who we think are going to have solid careers but end up not making it. They have the physical attributes and skills but for whatever reasons they don't translate into good games played at the highest level.

This year I've seen a fair bit of junior football (U9s, U12s matches and training) and I've seen a lot of kids playing kick to kick and horsing around as kids do on the side lines at local footy games. And even at this early age you observe things that make some kids stand out - things that you can't teach.

I'm interested to hear what others think these unteachables are.

1eyedog
04-09-2023, 09:47 AM
Early skills and early wills.

I've just finished coaching an u/12 team they had a good crack and made a prelim and were in front at half time but lost the game. Finished dead last last year.

I have one player who is an absolute inside beast, our best player athletically, strength wise and skill wise in the team but dicks around at training and won't do fitness based stuff. Gases out in games and can't make contests.

They lost the B&F by 10 votes to a really good defensive player who tackles like an adult and works harder than anyone I've seen. Not as dynamic or skilled as my - so called by the parents best player - but more effective.

At this age their will sets them apart.

angelopetraglia
04-09-2023, 02:17 PM
I think at an early age you are looking for natural talent with the ball in hand (good kick, good hands, doesn't fumble i.e. great hand eye coordination, normally these kids are good at any sport they touch) with an appetitie for the contest (good skills without a strong will to win or get their own footy normally means they self select out of Aussie Rules and into something like basketball or cricket or something with less body contact i.e. with boys you see this as testosterone starts to kick in around 13).

As, they get into their mid teen years they need some other physical assets if they are going to make it at the elite level.

So tick. Great hand eye cooridnation and an appetitie for the contest. That is your permission to play. Then you need at least one, but most probably a few of the below to make it.

-Genuine pace, stands out when watching the game that they can break out of a contest. The look quick to the eye.
-Great endurance, can cover the ground easily, natural runner.
-Time freezes when they have the ball in hand, they never appear to be rushed, intelligent decision maker with ball in hand.
-Great strength in close at the contest. Hard to tackle. Tackle well. Enjoy the physcial componenet of the game. Natural ball winner.
-Good height. The smaller you are, the more you need the above assets to be considered at the elite level.

merantau
04-09-2023, 02:36 PM
I've just finished coaching an u/12 team they had a good crack and made a prelim and were in front at half time but lost the game. Finished dead last last year.

That's a big turnaround. Sounds like a lot of work was put in to get that result. Didn't get the bacon but came out winners in my estimation.

1eyedog
04-09-2023, 04:35 PM

That's a big turnaround. Sounds like a lot of work was put in to get that result. Didn't get the bacon but came out winners in my estimation.

Yeah their EF win was their GF this year. Their coach last yeah just let them run around, fair enough. This year they asked me to teach them something different so I taught them a Bevo full ground press, sent a wing forward and a wing back and always tried to add +1 to the contest.

I out coached Andrew Carrazzo this year lol and got the win. He's a competitive bastard always whining about the 15 year old umpires. It's actually mostly about motivation and belief at this level but it makes things easier if they can hold a shape.

It's true though all the league rep players are athletically gifted who run and bounce and kick the ball a long way. A team of Nathan Eagletons. Positional players don't really get a look in. I had better positional players than some of the oppo midfielders who got selected to train / rep the league. The rep leagues just fill a team with these types but often it's with players that can't defend or can't win their own ball or both. It's actually lazy.

Many smaller, better players which read the play well and win their own ball often sit out of rep leagues and don't get invitations to the league B&F awards, but you just know they're real footballers who can play. There is so much emphasis on runners who can kick.

I have a great half back who kicks well, defends brilliantly, is tough as hell and cleans up everything but because they're not playing midfield, not a look in at league level. Also have a small forward who kicked the most goals in the division, again no invitation.

Good footy brains aren't identified / respected at 12/14s.

mjp
04-09-2023, 09:21 PM
There is so much emphasis on runners who can kick.

Well...this part is tricky 'cos as you go up through the ranks if you can't run and can't kick, well - it isn't that you CAN'T make it, but you have to do something else that is 'uber elite' in order to make it. So I totally get this part of it.

I have a great half back who kicks well, defends brilliantly, is tough as hell and cleans up everything but because they're not playing midfield, not a look in at league level.

Interesting. Most talent id people I know (and this is into the state pathway's) would be VERY keen on a half-back who can either:
1/. Defend 1-v-1 vs the oppo best players, size and shape be damned.
2/. Identify the opportunity to create a 2v1 and either become the interceptor or spoiler...

If your player does either of those things, chat to the talent id people about it and ASK what else they are looking for.

Also have a small forward who kicked the most goals in the division, again no invitation.

See previous comment. IF your small forward is a leading forward, I get it - no demand for small, leading forwards no matter how many goals they kick. If they are a genuine small (aka crumbing) forward, then:

1/. If he/she is kicking it well + holding his/her feet under pressure, well - if the scoreboard is ticking that's not nothing!
2/. Small forward is a tough spot and a player like this is going to need to spit up and through the mids to stay on the field at rep level given most SQUADS will only include 1x small forward...so he should be up there for 25% of the time anyway...

With the press + playing an extras up at the ball + dropping a winger behind - well...I don't think you should be doing that at u12 level. That stuff is banned in the talent pathways and you're not setting them up to succeed by getting them to play with an outnumber.

1eyedog
04-09-2023, 09:28 PM
Well...this part is tricky 'cos as you go up through the ranks if you can't run and can't kick, well - it isn't that you CAN'T make it, but you have to do something else that is 'uber elite' in order to make it. So I totally get this part of it.

Interesting. Most talent id people I know (and this is into the state pathway's) would be VERY keen on a half-back who can either:
2/. Identify the opportunity to create a 2v1 and either become the interceptor or spoiler...

If your player does either of those things, chat to the talent id people about it and ASK what else they are looking for.

See previous comment. IF your small forward is a leading forward, I get it - no demand for small, leading forwards no matter how many goals they kick. If they are a genuine small (aka crumbing) forward, then:

1/. If he/she is kicking it well + holding his/her feet under pressure, well - if the scoreboard is ticking that's not nothing!
2/. Small forward is a tough spot and a player like this is going to need to spit up and through the mids to stay on the field at rep level given most SQUADS will only include 1x small forward...so he should be up there for 25% of the time anyway...

With the press + playing an extras up at the ball + dropping a winger behind - well...I don't think you should be doing that at u12 level. That stuff is banned in the talent pathways and you're not setting them up to succeed by getting them to play with an outnumber.

Thanks for the advice Mike, appreciate it. Interested in your comments re. +1 and dropping wings behind / in front of the ball I wasn't aware of that. You might be interested to know that I know of two other clubs in our Div who do this.

I'll definitely be revisiting it next season based on your comments and I get playing players in their positions.

The small forward is my kid. Smart player i.e works off oppo and knows how to find space deep, great skills (mark / kick) but playing a year under age and not ready for the midfield for a few reasons. Definitely a crumber before a lead up player.

Will seek further advice on our half back and look at progressing to spoiling / intercepts as they progress next season. Not at this level yet but next year will be different as it gets more serious.

jeemak
04-09-2023, 09:38 PM
Dedicated parents, mostly.

1eyedog
04-09-2023, 09:41 PM
Dedicated parents, mostly.

Yeah that's a thing.

Grantysghost
04-09-2023, 09:59 PM
St Kevin's, Scotch, Xavier.

jeemak
04-09-2023, 10:05 PM
Great footballers come from great families and great schools. Shifter Sheehan told me so!

Cynicism aside, confidence instilled into a player early is a massive thing. Positive reinforcement used to be something that was only given based on pure positive outcomes in the anything goes eighties and nineties (and probably before that).

1eyedog
04-09-2023, 10:40 PM

I should also state that without the press and +1s these kids would likely be running around in circles again like headless chooks and that's a fact.

Success can be measured in many ways and finishing dead last in 2022 and making a Prelim this year was a big thing both for the players and their families. They had two wins last year, finished on the bottom with some 100 point thumpings. Players and parents want positive outcomes for their kids.

FWIW at this age there wasn't much care that a winger was moved back / forward at times throughout the season. What was most important was the team got to sing the song more times than they didn't, they won a final so finally got to experience the joy of that and also built a platform of belief they will bring into next year.

mjp
04-09-2023, 10:56 PM
I should also state that without the press and +1s these kids would likely be running around in circles again like headless chooks and that's a fact.

Totally believe you mate.

Giving structure helps no end...amazing what players who KNOW what is being asked of them can deliver whereas those just 'running out and having fun' pretty soon realise that getting your butt kicked is not that much fun.

My 16 year old plays SOME WAFL colts footy (4-games this year - for a club other than the one I coach) and the rest of the season with his local club (Y11/12 comp). He laughs (a lot) about the fact that when he plays local footy there are 'run with' roles, spares behind the ball, defensive anchors etc whereas at state level none of that is allowed...

There are so many problems with local footy AND pathway footy right now...

Honestly, I'm just glad to hear you're coaching and I hope you stick at it. Nothing beats playing - NOTHING - but helping a kid/group of kids go from 'battlers' to confident and successful is pretty rewarding...often (of course) you have to define success in ways that don't involve premiership points but that's all part of it!

1eyedog
05-09-2023, 12:25 AM
Totally believe you mate.

Giving structure helps no end...amazing what players who KNOW what is being asked of them can deliver whereas those just 'running out and having fun' pretty soon realise that getting your butt kicked is not that much fun.

My 16 year old plays SOME WAFL colts footy (4-games this year - for a club other than the one I coach) and the rest of the season with his local club (Y11/12 comp). He laughs (a lot) about the fact that when he plays local footy there are 'run with' roles, spares behind the ball, defensive anchors etc whereas at state level none of that is allowed...

There are so many problems with local footy AND pathway footy right now...

Honestly, I'm just glad to hear you're coaching and I hope you stick at it. Nothing beats playing - NOTHING - but helping a kid/group of kids go from 'battlers' to confident and successful is pretty rewarding...often (of course) you have to define success in ways that don't involve premiership points but that's all part of it!

Appreciate the words. It's rewarding but sucks up many hours. It's actually hard work and we are volunteers at the end of the day.

It's a challenge finding a balance between meeting the expectations of parents (and kids to a lesser degree) re. successful on field outcomes and ensuring participation always comes first.

The Foundation and Level 1 AFL coaching programs, as you'd know, are all about participation. It's so easy to get sucked into results-driven coaching. The joy of seeing the kids win a game drives that but in reality the kids are there for many reasons and most just want to play with their mates, form new friendships and build confidence playing a contact sport.

Winning actually comes after this in most instances, although you always have two or three players who just want to win at any cost.

Can I ask you why State level football is so different from local footy re. how it's approached tactically? It would be interesting to know as I have a few parents who are 100% committed to getting their kids as far as they can go.

mjp
05-09-2023, 10:47 AM
Can I ask you why State level football is so different from local footy re. how it's approached tactically? It would be interesting to know as I have a few parents who are 100% committed to getting their kids as far as they can go.

Because they want state level footy to be a 'players game' and not a coaches game. Things like the 3+2 anti-density rule, no run withs, no players behind the contest etc are all designed to create 1-v-1 footy where the PLAYERS dictate the game vs the coaches.

Things were getting a bit out of control tactically back in the late 2000's and particularly in the champs circa 2010-2012 (sad to say I was part of this) and in 2013 the anti-density stuff was trialled and the no tags/no-one behind the ball was instituted.

Anti-density went live in 2014 and has been used in VIC and WA since. SA still don't play it but have too in the champs.

I have some stories to tell about all this...if I get time later this week I might start typing.

bornadog
05-09-2023, 12:25 PM
Because they want state level footy to be a 'players game' and not a coaches game. Things like the 3+2 anti-density rule, no run withs, no players behind the contest etc are all designed to create 1-v-1 footy where the PLAYERS dictate the game vs the coaches.

Things were getting a bit out of control tactically back in the late 2000's and particularly in the champs circa 2010-2012 (sad to say I was part of this) and in 2013 the anti-density stuff was trialled and the no tags/no-one behind the ball was instituted.

Anti-density went live in 2014 and has been used in VIC and WA since. SA still don't play it but have too in the champs.

I have some stories to tell about all this...if I get time later this week I might start typing.

This ^^^ plus rule changes at AFL level just tells me the AFL is trying to make the game look like the 1980s, because those dictating these rules are all ex 1980s players.

You can never ever change the game to look like what you think it should look like with rules. Aussie rules just doesn't work like that. Aussie rules is not like soccer or Rugby where players basically have two halves of the field.

Sedat
05-09-2023, 02:28 PM
You can never ever change the game to look like what you think it should look like with rules. Aussie rules just doesn't work like that. Aussie rules is not like soccer or Rugby where players basically have two halves of the field.
Disagree. You could easily change the aesthetic of the game so that it is more one-on-one contest based like it was in the 1980's/1990's.

1. Get rid of prior opportunity completely - you get the ball and if you don't dispose of the ball legally on your bike son. It is rubbish to suggest players should be rewarded simply for getting to the ball first ball but choosing not to do anything with it - prior opp only came in around the late 90's and the likes of Paul Roos then destroyed the game taking cynical advantage of this crap rule. If you get the ball and are tackled straight away, ball up - it's not hard.
2. Umps throw the ball up at stoppages straight away instead of piss-farting around waiting for nominations - move the game quickly and watch the congestion melt away.
3. Umps call ball-up straight away instead of waiting an eternity for someone to be tackled correctly or dispose of the ball correctly - see point 2
4. Reduce interchange to 10 per qtr maximum (I'd personally like 8 on the bench and all of them substitutes (no interchange at all)

Congestion is the mortal enemy of free-flowing football. Remove the congestion around the ground/drastically reduce the number of stoppages and the time taken to re-start the game after a stoppage and watch the coaches structure up with players in proper positions, as well as move the ball much quicker with all the space available in F50.

All fixed and I don't need a million $$ a year salary to be part of the office of the AFEL executive.

Mofra
05-09-2023, 02:31 PM
To answer the OP: they make the team better. The end.

Everything else is secondary.

bornadog
05-09-2023, 03:17 PM
Disagree. You could easily change the aesthetic of the game so that it is more one-on-one contest based like it was in the 1980's/1990's.

1. Get rid of prior opportunity completely - you get the ball and if you don't dispose of the ball legally on your bike son. It is rubbish to suggest players should be rewarded simply for getting to the ball first ball but choosing not to do anything with it - prior opp only came in around the late 90's and the likes of Paul Roos then destroyed the game taking cynical advantage of this crap rule. If you get the ball and are tackled straight away, ball up - it's not hard.
2. Umps throw the ball up at stoppages straight away instead of piss-farting around waiting for nominations - move the game quickly and watch the congestion melt away.
3. Umps call ball-up straight away instead of waiting an eternity for someone to be tackled correctly or dispose of the ball correctly - see point 2
4. Reduce interchange to 10 per qtr maximum (I'd personally like 8 on the bench and all of them substitutes (no interchange at all)

Congestion is the mortal enemy of free-flowing football. Remove the congestion around the ground/drastically reduce the number of stoppages and the time taken to re-start the game after a stoppage and watch the coaches structure up with players in proper positions, as well as move the ball much quicker with all the space available in F50.

All fixed and I don't need a million $$ a year salary to be part of the office of the AFEL executive.

I agree with doing all of the above but, because coaches are smart and humans are getting stronger, taller and faster, the game will always be evolving and changing.

macca
05-09-2023, 09:22 PM

I like to nominate you to the rules committee Sedat. Great posts!

Honestly, I am finding the game harder to watch because of all these stupid rules.

Prior opportunity rule: has made the game faster by forcing players to panic and dump the ball. No-one wants to dive first for the ball. Players are all standing up and bending over ( with great strain to their hammies) as they don't want to be pinged with prior. Has it made the game more watchable ? In my opinion not. You don't see the skillful players under packs, digging the ball out with a deft handball. ITs all players in motion trying to grab the ball in full flight, and if they miss it its another turnover and supporters go nuts.

this year, I have watched less games of footy, with opposition teams, and also less games we have played ( maybe due to a spasmodic form)

I don't like the "on the fly intepretation" of rules plaguing the game now.

We should extend the interchange bench to 6 players so give everyone a go on the list and reduce player fatigue.

merantau
06-09-2023, 08:57 AM
Thanks to all who have shared their insights and experiences. My interest in this stems from the child whose family has lived with us since he first opened his eyes.

He has just turned five. He loves playing footy and has been practising his skills for three years. He's been training with the U/9s this year and will play next year. So he has a very good base to build on.

In addition he has serious pace, balance, agility, strength and stamina in spades. When he was just four he went on a 12km bike ride with his Dad and then played kick to kick for half an hour and did this as if it was a walk in the park.
Earlier this year he attended a footy clinic. He was the youngest kid there. On the second day they played a Lightning Premiership - 5 teams.
He copped a ball in the face and got a cut lip. A few tears when he saw the blood but as soon as he was cleaned up he was straight back out there. When it finished after five and a half hours he looked up at me and asked, "Why aren't we playing anymore?"

In addition to the above he just loves to compete and is very determined. Whenever he sees kids playing footy he will join in. He's always the smallest but the bigger kids soon realise that he's not your normal 5 year old as he will chase and tackle anyone. I've seen him wrestle an 8 year old on the ground for half a minute and end up with the ball.
On Saturday we went to a local game. Some bigger kids were playing on the sidelines so he joined in as he always does. At some point in the afternoon some random kid, about 8 years old (not one of the group he was playing with) decided it would be a good idea to pull his hair as he walked past him and run off laughing. Bad mistake. The little bloke immediately took off after him. The big kid, being faster, thought it was all good fun. He didn't think it was so funny when two minutes later the little bloke caught up with him, gave him a shove and yelled at him" "Don't touch me again!" Hopefully the bully has learnt his lesson.

When we left at the end of the game and passed out the gate, adjacent to where the kids had been playing, the attendant said to me, "That kid can really play football. How old is he?" When I told him he turned 5 two weeks ago he said, "Bloody hell. That'samazing!"

So, it's not just me who sees his potential. His coach can't wait to see him play next year too. He is really attentive at training and loves all the drills and warm up exercises. You can't teach that enthusiasm and determination - that WILL!

And off course he barracks for the Dogs and wears a white head band!

macca
06-09-2023, 03:52 PM
Thanks to all who have shared their insights and experiences. My interest in this stems from the child whose family has lived with us since he first opened his eyes.

He has just turned five. He loves playing footy and has been practising his skills for three years. He's been training with the U/9s this year and will play next year. So he has a very good base to build on.

In addition he has serious pace, balance, agility, strength and stamina in spades. When he was just four he went on a 12km bike ride with his Dad and then played kick to kick for half an hour and did this as if it was a walk in the park.
Earlier this year he attended a footy clinic. He was the youngest kid there. On the second day they played a Lightning Premiership - 5 teams.
He copped a ball in the face and got a cut lip. A few tears when he saw the blood but as soon as he was cleaned up he was straight back out there. When it finished after five and a half hours he looked up at me and asked, "Why aren't we playing anymore?"

In addition to the above he just loves to compete and is very determined. Whenever he sees kids playing footy he will join in. He's always the smallest but the bigger kids soon realise that he's not your normal 5 year old as he will chase and tackle anyone. I've seen him wrestle an 8 year old on the ground for half a minute and end up with the ball.
On Saturday we went to a local game. Some bigger kids were playing on the sidelines so he joined in as he always does. At some point in the afternoon some random kid, about 8 years old (not one of the group he was playing with) decided it would be a good idea to pull his hair as he walked past him and run off laughing. Bad mistake. The little bloke immediately took off after him. The big kid, being faster, thought it was all good fun. He didn't think it was so funny when two minutes later the little bloke caught up with him, gave him a shove and yelled at him" "Don't touch me again!" Hopefully the bully has learnt his lesson.

When we left at the end of the game and passed out the gate, adjacent to where the kids had been playing, the attendant said to me, "That kid can really play football. How old is he?" When I told him he turned 5 two weeks ago he said, "Bloody hell. That'samazing!"

So, it's not just me who sees his potential. His coach can't wait to see him play next year too. He is really attentive at training and loves all the drills and warm up exercises. You can't teach that enthusiasm and determination - that WILL!

Can we quietly tuck your child under an early pups recruitment program? ;)

westbulldog
06-09-2023, 06:49 PM
I know a little of this boy and in 13/14 years time he will be a serious athlete and AFL footballer (for the Dogs :) )
In the meantime he may be banned from Auskick for ......... being too good !

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-09-2023, 09:03 PM

Many thanks Merantau for sharing these thoughts on Woof.
It reminds me of our own outstanding players like Ted Whitten Doug Hawkins George Bisset and now Marcus Bontempelli. John Schultz was another who was plucked from obscurity at Boort in Country Victoria and went on to become a Brownlow Medallist and 5 times
Charles Sutton B and F.

merantau
07-09-2023, 07:11 PM
It reminds me of our own outstanding players like Ted Whitten Doug Hawkins George Bisset and now Marcus Bontempelli. John Schultz was another who was plucked from obscurity at Boort in Country Victoria and went on to become a Brownlow Medallist and 5 times
Charles Sutton B and F.

Those champions you name were all blessed with incredible will and determination to win the ball. It has been my privilege to witness their careers.
The other day my daughter presented me with a boxed set - Bulldog Team of the Century coffee mug and stubbie holder. Of the 26 players featured it has been my absolute privilege to see 21 of them play - a treasure trove of priceless memories. I am indebted to those champions who gave their all for the cause.

merantau
10-09-2023, 08:08 PM
I'm going to add a couple more of what I consider to be unteachables. First, genuine pace over the first few metres. Some people have faster reflexes and have fast twitch muscles which add to explosiveness.

Then there is the ability to read the play and the ability to read the flight of the ball. That is something that comes more from experience than anything else.
And thirdly I'll single out awareness. Knowing where everyone is in your immediate area.

1eyedog
10-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Forward- ability to create just enough seperation in critical moments.

macca
17-09-2023, 10:20 PM
I'm going to add a couple more of what I consider to be unteachables. First, genuine pace over the first few metres. Some people have faster reflexes and have fast twitch muscles which add to explosiveness.

Then there is the ability to read the play and the ability to read the flight of the ball. That is something that comes more from experience than anything else.
And thirdly I'll single out awareness. Knowing where everyone is in your immediate area.

Great points … this is the footy IQ that some players are natural with . Toby green is just so annoyingly good at this . Jeremy Cameron when his in all the above is innate
I do wonder when they interview players like Schache , who have all the physical traits , maybe some footy IQ but the drive to never be beaten , to be first at the ball , to smash through what Barriers that prevent them getting the ball , and rip out from their opponents possession , I don’t know how some will respond . What is a substational games played that can show case this ?

Bulldog4life
18-09-2023, 02:58 PM
Charles Sutton B and F.

I read once that a Footscray recruiter was at a match in Boort Johnny Schultz was playing in to watch "another player" and that was how Schultzy was nabbed by us.