PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs best kicks

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 09:16 AM
I was listening to SEN yesterday and they had a session on the best left foot kicks. Some of the names being mentioned really brought back some memories.

So with that in mind, who are the best kicks you have seen at the Bulldogs?
There are some obvious variables in terms of longest kicks, weighted kicks, ability under pressure, goal kicking accuracy and even dribble kicks.

So lets hear the 5 best kicks (or more) you have seen playing for the Bulldogs?

Mine would be

Bernie Quinlan
Simon Beasley
Doug Hawkins
Caleb Daniels
Tory Dickson
Matt Suckling

I've got a few more I'll add later.

Bullies
06-09-2023, 09:32 AM
Leon Cameron and Lindsey Gilbee were elite.

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 09:42 AM
Leon Cameron and Lindsey Gilbee were elite.

They were two more on my list. Cameron wasn't a good set shot but we equally lethal off his left foot.
Kicking skills came easy to Gilbee and it was unreal to see the depth that he got with what looked like and effortless kick.

Mofra
06-09-2023, 09:47 AM
On the run heading to goal - the Bald eagle

Gilbee for sure, Cameron & Grant for their opposite foot. Dickson as a goal-kicker, and Richard Osborne for long-range goal kicking.
Caleb Daniel & Gia under pressure.

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 09:48 AM

Gilbee for sure, Cameron & Grant for their opposite foot. Dickson as a goal-kicker, and Richard Osborne for long-range goal kicking.
Caleb Daniel & Gia under pressure.

I was thinking that Richard Osborne would be missed but some of his long range goals kicking was sensational.

Sedat
06-09-2023, 09:59 AM
Only in junktime ;)

Grantysghost
Barry Hall was pretty good.

Hawk the best I'm sure mentioned already.

Stringer on the snap is pretty Lethal.

soupman
Suckling was genuinely incredible. His first 8 weeks I thought he was so impressive, would be moving with the ball then no scope someone who i was sure was in his blindspot 60m away on a 100 degree angle.

mjp
06-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Akermanis.

lemmon
06-09-2023, 10:03 AM
Suckling was genuinely incredible. His first 8 weeks I thought he was so impressive, would be moving with the ball then no scope someone who i was sure was in his blindspot 60m away on a 100 degree angle.

Seemed to be so much gap between his best and worst though. Some days his kicking was hideous.

Gilbee the best I've seen. Don't think you could kick a Sherrin better.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2023, 10:08 AM
Only in junktime ;)

Who could forget him not making the distance from about 35m in the 08 PF vs Geelong.

soupman
06-09-2023, 10:11 AM
Seemed to be so much gap between his best and worst though. Some days his kicking was hideous.

Yeah after those first 8 weeks (I think he hurt his ankle) he was never really more than a solid player, but those first 8 weeks were so impressive.

Grantysghost
06-09-2023, 10:14 AM
Akermanis.

I loved how he kicked the ball high when he was having a close set shot.

Meant he kicked right through it.

bornadog
06-09-2023, 10:16 AM
Adding to the above list - Kelvin Templeton was an amazing shot from long distance, Bont's on the run long penetrating kicks (not goal kicking).

Gilbee has to be the best kick I have seen along with Sucklings precision.

Mantis
06-09-2023, 10:17 AM
Who could forget him not making the distance from about 35m in the 08 PF vs Geelong.

I have no recollection of said incident.

The Doctor
06-09-2023, 10:18 AM
Too add a few. Kicking for goal Super MacPherson, Bill kolyniuk & Paul Hudson

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 10:20 AM
Akermanis.

Brilliant kick.

mjp
06-09-2023, 12:09 PM
The issue I have with Suckling on this list is it felt (to me anyway) that with every kick he was trying to show us all how good a kick he was. I think Daniel suffers from this a bit as well - different from Suckling though in that Suckling would try to kick a 90m torpedo every game whereas Daniel tries to drop the footy into a thimble of water surrounded by an army of giants when a 25m release to a team-mate was available at the same time.

Aker and Gilbee are the two best in my memory - both from the same era as well.

lemmon
06-09-2023, 12:23 PM
Bont's on the run long penetrating kicks (not goal kicking).

Reckon he started taking something off them slightly too this year as he really used to bullet those passes into the forward line and they'd zing off player's hands. I seem to recall Buckley had to do the same.

2021 Bailey Dale is in the conversation as well. Some of his decision-making feels more clouded these days and it's hurt his efficiency though.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2023, 12:24 PM
The issue I have with Suckling on this list is it felt (to me anyway) that with every kick he was trying to show us all how good a kick he was. I think Daniel suffers from this a bit as well - different from Suckling though in that Suckling would try to kick a 90m torpedo every game whereas Daniel tries to drop the footy into a thimble of water surrounded by an army of giants when a 25m release to a team-mate was available at the same time.

Aker and Gilbee are the two best in my memory - both from the same era as well.

Agreed with this.

I'd add Dale into that same category in that he continually attempts to hit the difficult option.

Aker/Gilbee were just phenomenal. Aker's ability to go left or right, kick with deftness or penetration, was incredible. Gilbee was great to watch too, one of my favs.

bornadog
06-09-2023, 12:24 PM
Reckon he started taking something off them slightly too this year as he really used to bullet those passes into the forward line and they'd zing off player's hands. I seem to recall Buckley had to do the same.

2021 Bailey Dale is in the conversation as well. Some of his decision-making feels more clouded these days and it's hurt his efficiency though.

Dale really went backwards this year with his kicking.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-09-2023, 12:50 PM
This maybe not a popular view. But back in my younger days the two that stood out to me were Hawkins and Ian Williams. Williams was the first person I truely felt had the gift and I went out started to kick both feet after seeing Williams hit up forwards from any spots in the forward pocket. All Dougie. No more needs to be said.

Bulldog Revolution
06-09-2023, 01:02 PM
Too add a few. Kicking for goal Super MacPherson, Bill kolyniuk & Paul Hudson

Paul Hudson was an incredible set shot in his time with us, and did pass the ball nicely also

Mofra
06-09-2023, 01:40 PM
I was thinking that Richard Osborne would be missed but some of his long range goals kicking was sensational.
I've never seen a longer goal than the shot he had from the boundary at WO kicking from the player's race. Incredible strike

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2023, 02:56 PM
I think Rohan Smith deserves a mention. I loved his kicking and he could really bomb it long too

MrMahatma
06-09-2023, 03:10 PM
Gilbs, Aker for mine, and I'm also on the Huddo train.

Interesting how many being mentioned on this thread started at other clubs.

macca
06-09-2023, 04:04 PM
Brilliant kick.

Aker was brilliant kick on both sides of his feet. His first year with us was amazing.

Hudson was the best set shot I have seen of any player.

Loved Gilbee kicks from halfback and his 50m goals .

EasternWest
06-09-2023, 04:25 PM
Matt Suckling

1 in 8

You just said that to trigger me.

Bumper Bulldogs
06-09-2023, 04:35 PM
1 in 8

My view is very over rated also

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 05:00 PM
1 in 8

I can't deny there was an element of that in his nomination :)

1eyedog
06-09-2023, 05:25 PM
Simon Cox was a beautiful clean kick of the football.

EasternWest
06-09-2023, 05:36 PM

My people.

You were the chosen one.

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 05:39 PM
You were the chosen one.

When someone phoned in and nominated Suckers I think out of you.

I still remember a goal he kicked at Ballarat.

bornadog
06-09-2023, 05:47 PM
When someone phoned in and nominated Suckers I think out of you.

I still remember a goal he kicked at Ballarat.

Just for EW :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuB7jRspmNQ

GVGjr
06-09-2023, 05:56 PM

Now you're being cruel. :)

westbulldog
06-09-2023, 06:44 PM
Bernie Quinlan tops the list - by light years.

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 06:49 PM
I have no recollection of said incident.

Then why did you text all those swear words with his name after them to me on the night?

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 06:56 PM
This maybe not a popular view. But back in my younger days the two that stood out to me were Hawkins and Ian Williams. Williams was the first person I truely felt had the gift and I went out started to kick both feet after seeing Williams hit up forwards from any spots in the forward pocket. All Dougie. No more needs to be said.

That goal of Williams at Morrabbin in 1983 to finish off that incredible comeback will live in my memory forever. Along with Trevor Barker's whinge to the goal umpire.

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 07:00 PM
I've never seen a longer goal than the shot he had from the boundary at WO kicking from the player's race. Incredible strike

I was talking to Chris Grant when he had the AFL store at Highpoint and he said it was the best goal he's ever seen.

BornInDroopSt'54
06-09-2023, 07:12 PM
Me n Twodogs remember that Williams guy, was it Ian.
Threaded the needle at Moorabbin.

Twodogs
06-09-2023, 07:50 PM
Me n Twodogs remember that Williams guy, was it Ian.
Threaded the needle at Moorabbin.

Yep Ian Williams. Come from WA and went by the nickname Possum he was part of the successful recruitment campaign in the summer of 82/83 by Shane O' Sullivan

EasternWest
06-09-2023, 08:42 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuB7jRspmNQ

Pfft as if I'm clicking that link.

josie
06-09-2023, 09:22 PM
Has anyone mentioned the bald Eagle(ton)?

GVGjr
07-09-2023, 12:20 AM
Has anyone mentioned the bald Eagle(ton)?

He's been nominated.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-09-2023, 10:58 AM
Players that are accurate goal kickers are the ultimate best kicks so Jack Collins, Ted Whitten, Templeton kicked a ton, Beasley, Royal, Simon Garlic, Hall, Johnson and Dickson.
Bont is an elite kick by any measure except set shot, nerves get in his way.

bornadog
07-09-2023, 11:05 AM
Players that are accurate goal kickers are the ultimate best kicks so Jack Collins, Ted Whitten, Templeton kicked a ton, Beasley, Royal, Simon Garlic, Hall, Johnson and Dickson.
Bont is an elite kick by any measure except set shot, nerves get in his way.

Fun fact:

Did you know Cody Weightman sits 14th best most accurate goal kicker in AFL for all records starting in 1965 to present, 70.21% accuracy. Tory Dickson is second at 74.79% and Shaneloveless 6th at 72%.

Source: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html

Bulldog4life
07-09-2023, 02:50 PM
Going back to the 60's EJ was a magnificent kick of the footy. His torps went incredible distances. Another who was a brilliant drop kick was Ian Bryant. Has to be one of best of all time alongside Ted.

Happy Days
07-09-2023, 02:58 PM
https://youtu.be/HxGhvhl_R7E?si=-ezZYIeZQ9SgitM2

Skip to 1:53. If there’s ever been a better kick of a ball I haven’t seen it.

D Mitchell
07-09-2023, 03:10 PM
Going back to the 60's EJ was a magnificent kick of the footy. His torps went incredible distances. Another who was a brilliant drop kick was Ian Bryant. Has to be one of best of all time alongside Ted.
Dave Darcy's drop kicks were a pleasure to behold, no follow through but low and long. Templeton was accurate at goal, close to Dickson 72 % : 74 %

bornadog
07-09-2023, 03:38 PM
Dave Darcy's drop kicks were a pleasure to behold, no follow through but low and long. Templeton was accurate at goal, close to Dickson 72 % : 74 %

Incorrect on % accuracy. Kelvin kicked 593 goals and 335 points

D Mitchell
07-09-2023, 04:20 PM
Incorrect on % accuracy. Kelvin kicked 593 goals and 335 points
You're right, I was sure that I saw 72 % somewhere. Those figures are similar to Beasley's 575 :321 so both around 64 %

bornadog
07-09-2023, 04:43 PM
You're right, I was sure that I saw 72 % somewhere. Those figures are similar to Beasley's 575 :321 so both around 64 %

I will agree Templeton was a magnificent kick of the footy and I nominated him back a few pages ago. Cut down in his prime with that knee.

I will never forget watching him kick that 15 goals (and 9 behinds) that day.

Twodogs
07-09-2023, 11:31 PM
https://youtu.be/HxGhvhl_R7E?si=-ezZYIeZQ9SgitM2

Skip to 1:53. If there’s ever been a better kick of a ball I haven’t seen it.

Ted Whitten jr did that 2 or 3 times each week. Some of the bullets he hit Kelvin Templeton with were amazing. He probably provided KT with 30% of his goals by hitting him on the chest time after time.

Twodogs
07-09-2023, 11:51 PM
Speaking of individually great kicks. 8.55 in when Hawkins hits Edmond on the chest in the 1985 semi final is the best kick I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/gdceT-mmybQ?si=-sFHy42erMkMXdcL

bornadog
08-09-2023, 12:23 AM
Speaking of individually great kicks. 8.55 in when Hawkins hits Edmond on the chest in the 1985 semi final is the best kick I've ever seen.

https://youtu.be/gdceT-mmybQ?si=-sFHy42erMkMXdcL

The first final I ever saw us win. That kick from Doug was a beauty, but the video doesn't do it justice. It was a low grass cutter like a bullet

1eyedog
08-09-2023, 09:22 AM
The first final I ever saw us win. That kick from Doug was a beauty, but the video doesn't do it justice. It was a low grass cutter like a bullet

On the right

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Fun fact:

Did you know Cody Weightman sits 14th best most accurate goal kicker in AFL for all records starting in 1965 to present, 70.21% accuracy. Tory Dickson is second at 74.79% and Shaneloveless 6th at 72%.

Source: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/accuracy.html

Unfortunately this table is another example of Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.

It only counts shots that actually score when we all know a complete miss should bring the percentage down.

I also suspect that touched behinds are counted as a point when from an accuracy perspective it may have been a straight kick.

There is also the issue of degree of difficulty. Kicking from 20 metres or 50 makes a big difference.

bornadog
08-09-2023, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately this table is another example of Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.

It only counts shots that actually score when we all know a complete miss should bring the percentage down.

I also suspect that touched behinds are counted as a point when from an accuracy perspective it may have been a straight kick.

Well it is scoring accuracy.

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2023, 10:59 AM

But it just isn't.

Until it counts complete misses it lacks accuracy.

As an example Fritsch would be 50% on that metric last night (2.2) but when you consider the complete shank when Melbourne really needed him the accuracy drops to 40%.

GVGjr
08-09-2023, 11:18 AM

It's a first cut on some data but Joe is right once you look a bit deeper it's not that accurate.