PDA

View Full Version : Star Dog in talks

bornadog
04-10-2023, 06:39 PM
https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/08/26/0d4f06f6-9cc6-43ee-8c78-702e99bd08bd/1640165008.jpg?width=1064&height=600

(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1446687/naughton-a-bulldog-for-life)Naughton a Bulldog for life (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1446687/naughton-a-bulldog-for-life)

Star forward Aaron Naughton is a Bulldog for life.

The 23-year-old has pledged his long-term future to the red, white and blue after committing to an eight-year contract extension, keeping him at the Kennel until at least the end of 2032.

With a year remaining on a current deal, it means Naughton will run out in front of the Bulldogs? faithful for a further nine seasons.

Naughton has become a leader of the football side after joining the leadership group in 2022, showing consistency beyond his years to kick 142 goals across the past three seasons.

The Western Australian joined the Bulldogs in 2017 via Pick 9 in the National Draft and despite beginning his career as a defender, he now sits among the best key forwards in the game.

Naughton is a two-time leading goalkicker for the red, white and blue, amassing 191 goals in 123 games, whilst missing just three matches since the beginning of 2021.

Naughton himself was pleased to lock away his future at the Bulldogs.

?It?s a special moment for me to sign, particularly for my family,? Naughton said.

?To sign a long contract and to be here to stay, especially for my teammates as well, I want them to know I am in it with them together. To play alongside these guys for the years to come is really exciting.

?When you get drafted by this club and they make you feel so welcome, not only myself, but the whole family back in WA, it?s fantastic. You build strong connections with all your teammates and I have some of my best mates here.

?I am bullish on this group and what we can achieve in the years to come. It is a lot of hard work and I know this group is willing to put in every day.?

Bulldogs? General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power, couldn?t have been more thrilled to retain Naughton for the next nine years.

?Aaron is an outstanding player and an exceptional person and there is no doubt this is an exciting day for the Club and our members and fans,? Power said.

?We love what Aaron brings to this football club each and every day, so it?s fantastic that we?ve been able to agree on a long-term contract extension prior to the start of 2024, alongside his manager Andrew McDougall at Corporate Sports Australia.

?Aaron?s re-signing is another strong showing of confidence in the Club?s long-term ambitions and culture.

?Aaron continues to be a vital leader amongst the group, setting the benchmark on and off the field as the Club looks to climb back up the ladder.

?We see Aaron as a huge part of the Bulldogs? future, being only 23 years of age, and we?re delighted our supporters can watch him run out for years to come.?

hujsh
04-10-2023, 06:41 PM
Some good news.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 06:48 PM
Some good news.

What’s with it? Our media folk back to work today?

mjp
04-10-2023, 06:52 PM
What’s with it? Our media folk back to work today?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I don't disagree good news has been thin on the ground but here is some...let's just roll with it.

(Then again, I'm not sure you would call it good news...I think it's good news but there are divergent opinions on this player...and that's ok.)

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 06:55 PM

I don't disagree good news has been thin on the ground but here is some...let's just roll with it.

(Then again, I'm not sure you would call it good news...I think it's good news but there are divergent opinions on this player...and that's ok.)

Not unhappy. Just been wondering what they’ve been doing for nearly a couple of months.

GVGjr
04-10-2023, 06:57 PM
Been waiting all week for this, perhaps more to come.

Grantysghost
04-10-2023, 07:00 PM

What's your feel mjp? Is there a massive lure home?

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2023, 07:01 PM
Been waiting all week for this, perhaps more to come.

You sound like you know. What's in the box!? What's in the box!?

The bulldog tragician
04-10-2023, 07:02 PM
I clicked on this with trepidation!

It’s good news at last. Btw, Jamarra and Naughton are on holiday together, which I view as a good sign of their future together. Just like how Bont and Dunks were best friends…hang on :mad:

GVGjr
04-10-2023, 07:03 PM
You sound like you know. What's in the box!? What's in the box!?

Lets see how the week unfolds.

Hotdog60
04-10-2023, 07:04 PM
I clicked on this with trepidation!

It’s good news at last. Btw, Jamarra and Naughton are on holiday together, which I view as a good sign of their future together. Just like how Bont and Dunks were best friends…hang on :mad:

Are you trying to turn good news into bad news. You pessimist. :)

1eyedog
04-10-2023, 07:18 PM
Yeah boys get around him! This is what we want to see.

whythelongface
04-10-2023, 07:19 PM
Fake news.

Dry Rot
04-10-2023, 07:31 PM
Fake news.

I saw the thread title and thought it was about extending Gardner's contract.

whythelongface
04-10-2023, 07:45 PM
Seriously this will be the best news if we can sign Naughts to a 5 year deal. He is just about to hit his straps and will tear the competition apart in the next few seasons.

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2023, 08:08 PM
Ralphy reporting at least 6yrs.

azabob
04-10-2023, 08:21 PM
This. Is. Great. News.
The. Best. Jerry. The. Best.

Topdog
04-10-2023, 08:46 PM
Excellent news and I damn needed it for this club.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 09:02 PM
Ralphy reporting at least 6yrs.

Duration doesn’t bother me. But I do want to know what his salary is.

hujsh
04-10-2023, 09:12 PM
8 year extension!

End of 2032. Announced by Bains at the BnF. Said other clubs offered 10 year deals

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2023, 09:17 PM
Wow! That's long. But it is becoming the norm. Glad he's ours.

G-Mo77
04-10-2023, 09:18 PM
Bloody hell!! I am absolutely stoked he's staying, 8 years is concerning though. Hopefully that gives wiggle room with front ending or back ending to fit others in.

Scraggers
04-10-2023, 09:18 PM
Just announced at the Sutton Medal … Bulldog for Life.

chef
04-10-2023, 09:23 PM
Amazing news. Very happy hes a dog for life.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 09:25 PM
8 year extension!

End of 2032. Announced by Bains at the BnF. Said other clubs offered 10 year deals

Finally, a CHB locked in for nearly the next decade. Amazing.

whythelongface
04-10-2023, 09:26 PM
If this isn’t a sign that the club is heading in the right direction then nothing is. This is huge huge news. It will be also provide confidence for any player or coach that we mean business

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2023, 09:27 PM
If this isn’t a sign that the club is heading in the right direction then nothing is. This is huge huge news. It will be also provide confidence for any player or coach that we mean business

It's certainly a vote of confidence from one of our star players indicating its not totally bananas down there.

Hopefully Marra gets announced next!

G-Mo77
04-10-2023, 09:27 PM
Ok. My son has been wanting a jumper with a number. 33 is probably safe for a while. Smith is fav but I've been refusing that one because who knows what's going on with him. Christmas present sorted!

hujsh
04-10-2023, 09:28 PM
8 year extension!

and eyewatering amounts of money

jazzadogs
04-10-2023, 09:29 PM
Amazing news. Love Naughty. If we can keep him and Jamarra together we have the most potent tall forward combo in the league.

Scorlibo
04-10-2023, 09:31 PM
Fantastic news! Absolutely love Aaron's tenacity, character and leadership. Amidst a rough run the last couple of years it's awesome to see such a show of mutual faith between club and player.

He's red, white and blue through and through.

anfo27
04-10-2023, 09:45 PM
Ok. My son has been wanting a jumper with a number. 33 is probably safe for a while. Smith is fav but I've been refusing that one because who knows what's going on with him. Christmas present sorted!

My son is 5 & only got into footy this year. Wears his bulldogs guernsey & shorts everyday, I mean everyday! Will pull it out of the dirty clothes basket. He also wears a headband. He only knows astronaught & bont, he would of been devastated.

Great news but am a tad concerned on the years considering how Naught throws his body around. If we could move the ball like Collingwood Naughton would look amazing.

hujsh
04-10-2023, 09:52 PM
My son is 5 & only got into footy this year. Wears his bulldogs guernsey & shorts everyday, I mean everyday! Will pull it out of the dirty clothes basket. He also wears a headband. He only knows astronaught & bont, he would of been devastated.

Great news but am a tad concerned on the years considering how Naught throws his body around. If we could move the ball like Collingwood Naughton would look amazing.

Speaking of, looks like the rumour is it was them who had a 10 year offer on the table to him

The Pie Man
04-10-2023, 09:59 PM
This is both very good & VERY funny

bulldogsthru&thru
04-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Speaking of, looks like the rumour is it was them who had a 10 year offer on the table to him

Good sign he knocked back a big club offering more years and presumably money. Hope they don't go throw it at Marra now though.

Bumper Bulldogs
04-10-2023, 10:03 PM
Great news indeed. Now we have a reason that an experience forward coach would be knocking the door down to come to the dogs.

Eastdog
04-10-2023, 10:08 PM
Huge news! A great talent and I look forward to him kicking many goals and worrying many opposition defences for many years.

bornadog
04-10-2023, 10:10 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7laLyxbAAAikJi?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
04-10-2023, 10:15 PM
Updated op

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/08/26/0d4f06f6-9cc6-43ee-8c78-702e99bd08bd/1640165008.jpg?width=1064&height=600

(https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1446687/naughton-a-bulldog-for-life)naughton a bulldog for life (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1446687/naughton-a-bulldog-for-life)

star forward aaron naughton is a bulldog for life.

The 23-year-old has pledged his long-term future to the red, white and blue after committing to an eight-year contract extension, keeping him at the kennel until at least the end of 2032.

With a year remaining on a current deal, it means naughton will run out in front of the bulldogs? Faithful for a further nine seasons.

Naughton has become a leader of the football side after joining the leadership group in 2022, showing consistency beyond his years to kick 142 goals across the past three seasons.

The western australian joined the bulldogs in 2017 via pick 9 in the national draft and despite beginning his career as a defender, he now sits among the best key forwards in the game.

Naughton is a two-time leading goalkicker for the red, white and blue, amassing 191 goals in 123 games, whilst missing just three matches since the beginning of 2021.

Naughton himself was pleased to lock away his future at the bulldogs.

?it?s a special moment for me to sign, particularly for my family,? Naughton said.

?to sign a long contract and to be here to stay, especially for my teammates as well, i want them to know i am in it with them together. To play alongside these guys for the years to come is really exciting.

?when you get drafted by this club and they make you feel so welcome, not only myself, but the whole family back in wa, it?s fantastic. You build strong connections with all your teammates and i have some of my best mates here.

?i am bullish on this group and what we can achieve in the years to come. It is a lot of hard work and i know this group is willing to put in every day.?

Bulldogs? General manager of list and recruiting, sam power, couldn?t have been more thrilled to retain naughton for the next nine years.

?aaron is an outstanding player and an exceptional person and there is no doubt this is an exciting day for the club and our members and fans,? Power said.

?we love what aaron brings to this football club each and every day, so it?s fantastic that we?ve been able to agree on a long-term contract extension prior to the start of 2024, alongside his manager andrew mcdougall at corporate sports australia.

?aaron?s re-signing is another strong showing of confidence in the club?s long-term ambitions and culture.

?aaron continues to be a vital leader amongst the group, setting the benchmark on and off the field as the club looks to climb back up the ladder.

?we see aaron as a huge part of the bulldogs? Future, being only 23 years of age, and we?re delighted our supporters can watch him run out for years to come.?

jeemak
04-10-2023, 10:21 PM
I can't believe he signed on for so long with that rabble.

jazzadogs
04-10-2023, 10:36 PM
When do we start planning for his inevitable departure at the end of 2032?

bornadog
04-10-2023, 10:37 PM
I can't believe he signed on for so long with that rabble.

and that coach

1eyedog
04-10-2023, 10:44 PM
and that coach

Exactly let's not get too excited we still have that coach and no assistants!

MrMahatma
04-10-2023, 10:58 PM
Maybe the back end of that deal is as an assistant coach?

MrMahatma
04-10-2023, 10:59 PM
I’m very happy with this signing though. Gun player. We’re lucky to have him. He’ll help bring us silverware.

The Bulldogs Bite
04-10-2023, 11:07 PM
Great news.

He makes going to the footy worth it.

bulldogtragic
04-10-2023, 11:25 PM
Reported as the longest current contract in the competition.

angelopetraglia
04-10-2023, 11:25 PM
I was out for dinner. What did I miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love this. Great endorsement for the club. Great loyalty from Naughton. He is still so young for a key position player. He brings so much to the team outside of just goals.

angelopetraglia
04-10-2023, 11:35 PM
Reported as the longest current contract in the competition.

It is a long, long time. But he is only 23. Curnow signed a contract last year that takes him to he is 32.

1eyedog
04-10-2023, 11:38 PM
I was out for dinner. What did I miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love this. Great endorsement for the club. Great loyalty from Naughton. He is still so young for a key position player. He brings so much to the team outside of just goals.

Next Captain. Wouldn't be surprised if that was written into the contract.

jazzadogs
05-10-2023, 12:38 AM
Next Captain. Wouldn't be surprised if that was written into the contract.

Definitely a vice captain now, in my eyes.

ledge
05-10-2023, 01:12 AM
So much for all the crap about refusing to go down back when asked and being unhappy etc.
Some people get off making up rubbish and get away with it.
They are usually journos.

macca
05-10-2023, 01:19 AM
Franklin and Roughhead were a great duo

Both or one of each would kick bags of goals
I hope JuH and Naughton can be the same duo

naughton just has to improve his kicking and we are loooking at 50+ goals a year

angelopetraglia
05-10-2023, 12:34 PM
"My understanding is there were a couple of clubs offering 10-year deals to Aaron Naughton. West Coast and Sydney were really into Aaron Naughton and Geelong had a fair bit of interest as well."

-
@JoshGabelich
on Aaron Naughton's deal

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 02:23 PM
HUN:

8 Years
$10,000,000

hujsh
05-10-2023, 02:26 PM
HUN:

8 Years
$10,000,000

1.25 a year? Well I'd sign that too.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 02:28 PM
1.25 a year? Well I'd sign that too.

That’s huge money. He needs to tighten up that goal kicking and nudge 60 goals a year. That’s huge money, one of the best paid KPF’s in the game now.

Topdog
05-10-2023, 02:50 PM
That’s huge money. He needs to tighten up that goal kicking and nudge 60 goals a year. That’s huge money, one of the best paid KPF’s in the game now.

Will be interesting to watch the space develop. Think that will be the norm for a good KPF in 2 years but certainly agree that we need him pushing past 50 goals a year consistently and comfortably.

Axe Man
05-10-2023, 03:01 PM
The Western Bulldogs handed Aaron Naughton an extraordinary eight-year deal after being made aware rivals were prepared to offer ten-year contracts that compared to Lance Franklin?s deal to move to Sydney.

This masthead revealed on Thursday Naughton was on the brink of a mega-deal to sign on at the Dogs, with the club announcing an eight year deal at the club?s best and fairest that night.

The Dogs believed Sydney and West Coast were his chief pursuers, given the Swans need for another key tall and the Eagles link to his home state of Western Australia.

They had been told in negotiations one of those two clubs would offer a ten-season deal for Naughton, who is only 23 years of age.

Dogs chief executive Ameet Bains told the Sutton Medal audience there was a ten year offer for him from a rival club.

Naughton has another season on his existing contact so the Dogs will secure him for nine years in total.

There is an inherent risk in all long term deals, but the Dogs could not afford to lose a key position star so young and only entering his peak.

The Dogs are confident they will retain the services of Jamarra Ugle-Hagan past his contract running to 2024, given his happiness on his expanded role and close friendship with captain Marcus Bontempelli.

All Australian ruckman Tim English is in no hurry to give away his free agency rights with a deal expiring next season.

But this masthead understands his partner, Super Netballer Rudi Ellis is an excellent chance to move from Perth to play with the Melbourne Vixens next season.

He has a house in Melbourne so, while the Dogs might have to pay a ridiculous amount to retain him, her move gives them hope he will sign on long term like his great mate and former housemate Naughton.

The Dogs have not been offered a deal for Bailey Smith from the Hawks despite reports they would be handed the club?s pick 3 for the under-utilised mid, who finished 15th in the best and fairest.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-2023-latest-trade-contract-news-before-free-agency-opens/news-story/ec137c118ad4b3f8fd63099b1dc2a0ee)

bornadog
05-10-2023, 03:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnRM_C8A4Vw

angelopetraglia
05-10-2023, 04:27 PM
"Which clubs were keen on him most? Collingwood had a nibble, Geelong were interested, West Coast were interested. The Sydney Swans were interested, and my information is that the Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years."

- Tom Morris on the interest for Aaron Naughton

angelopetraglia
05-10-2023, 04:33 PM
“And the Sydney Swans were interested. My information is that the Sydney Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years.

“It was put to me that it was $12 million and I’ve had that denied, but I do believe it was more than $11 million over 10 years that the Swans were prepared to offer.

“It would have been (the biggest contract ever).”

-Tom Morris

hujsh
05-10-2023, 04:37 PM
"Which clubs were keen on him most? Collingwood had a nibble, Geelong were interested, West Coast were interested. The Sydney Swans were interested, and my information is that the Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years."

- Tom Morris on the interest for Aaron Naughton

?And the Sydney Swans were interested. My information is that the Sydney Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years.

?It was put to me that it was $12 million and I?ve had that denied, but I do believe it was more than $11 million over 10 years that the Swans were prepared to offer.

?It would have been (the biggest contract ever).?

-Tom Morris

Someone on BF (yes it's that time of year) disputed the number posted earlier and suggested 1.125 as the average or 9 over the 8 years. No idea if they're reliable or 'in the know' but maybe Mofra does.

It was before this Tom Morris bit of info and is roughly in line with it so seems somewhat accurate

jeemak
05-10-2023, 04:42 PM
Cornes already lost his mind over it.

Reckons JUH has already passed him and thus, isn't worth the money.

Watches our games closely I guess.

angelopetraglia
05-10-2023, 04:48 PM
Cornes already lost his mind over it.

Reckons JUH has already passed him and thus, isn't worth the money.

Watches our games closely I guess.

Just remember, he is always in characther and playing the heel. He also has a few themes he always run hard at that are key parts of his character. Long contracts is just one of them.

angelopetraglia
05-10-2023, 04:49 PM
"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Charlie Curnow's new six-year contract extension."

"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Eric Hipwood's six-year contract extension with Brisbane."

bulldogsthru&thru
05-10-2023, 05:07 PM
"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Charlie Curnow's new six-year contract extension."

"Kane Cornes is not a fan of Eric Hipwood's six-year contract extension with Brisbane."

6 years for Hipwood makes Naughtons deal look good.

bulldogsthru&thru
05-10-2023, 07:48 PM
Hawks apparently offering 4 years to Chol.

Naughton deal starting to look like a bargain!

bulldogsthru&thru
05-10-2023, 07:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Vred on here mentioned a week or two ago that both Naughton and JUH were all but signed, just waiting for the cba to iron out the details.

Naughton done. Hopefully Marra isn't far away.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 08:44 PM
“And the Sydney Swans were interested. My information is that the Sydney Swans offered upwards of $11 million across 10 years.

“It was put to me that it was $12 million and I’ve had that denied, but I do believe it was more than $11 million over 10 years that the Swans were prepared to offer.

“It would have been (the biggest contract ever).”

-Tom Morris

What were these clubs (WCE aside with Pick 1) going to use to trade for AN? I don’t understand how Sydney, Collingwood or Geelong would even get remotely close to satisfying a trade. A teen pick, a F1 and a good player. Hard pass from us. I don’t get it.

HOSE B ROMERO
05-10-2023, 09:08 PM
Brilliant news.

Nobody knows how much he's getting and i'm quite happy not knowing.

Has been such an impressive player since arriving at the club and it's great that him and 'Marra have formed such a close relationship on and off the field. A leader.

jeemak
05-10-2023, 09:58 PM
What were these clubs (WCE aside with Pick 1) going to use to trade for AN? I don’t understand how Sydney, Collingwood or Geelong would even get remotely close to satisfying a trade. A teen pick, a F1 and a good player. Hard pass from us. I don’t get it.

Possibly a good reason to make an offer too good to refuse. In this landscape you're at the mercy of the player's trade preference irrespective of the currency their preferred club has to get them there.

So do you overpay now to avoid getting screwed at contract maturity, and figure out how to manage it later on? Possibly.

Collingwood has shown you can discard players on long term contracts providing you're prepared to pony up on salaries.

FrediKanoute
05-10-2023, 10:05 PM
Appreciate that we had to compete, but I am in the Cornes camp a little.

Naughts is great and whilst he doesn't have Bailey Smith's profile is a player people come to the footy to watch.

A 9 year deal makes him a Bulldog for life, but he is a serious knee injury away from being a 9 year liability. Its touch and go. I don't see Naghts having as much longeivity and I would be wanting to see more scoreboard output.

Am I happy we have signed him - yes, but I am alittle concerned as well.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 10:08 PM
Possibly a good reason to make an offer too good to refuse. In this landscape you're at the mercy of the player's trade preference irrespective of the currency their preferred club has to get them there.

So do you overpay now to avoid getting screwed at contract maturity, and figure out how to manage it later on? Possibly.

Collingwood has shown you can discard players on long term contracts providing you're prepared to pony up on salaries.

Maybe they make the offer next year then. He’s still under contract. Short of adding Gulden or Diacos we would never have done agreed to a trade with him under contract for a Dunkley like offer. I get it from us locking him away. But I don’t see what the point of clubs unable to secure AN making massive offers now when they couldn’t satisfy a trade now. Head scratching.

jeemak
05-10-2023, 10:14 PM
Maybe they make the offer next year then. He’s still under contract. Short of adding Gulden or Diacos we would never have done agreed to a trade with him under contract for a Dunkley like offer. I get it from us locking him away. But I don’t see what the point of clubs unable to secure AN making massive offers now when they couldn’t satisfy a trade now. Head scratching.

I guess what I'm inferring is that clubs roll the dice and see if they can get enough player and media pressure for a deal to be done. The media is thirsty for trades, as is the AFL. A high profile club figures it can push into a situation with a massive trade and then you have dickheads like Tom Brown openly saying how much they want the Bombers to win Dunkley on national TV because they broke the story.

It's highly speculative but just like in 2020 with Junkley, you get enough of a profile around it and all of a sudden it's real. I guess when it comes to Junkley he wasn't good enough for us to be honey dicked into offering crazy money and tenure to retain him. Naughton's a different player.

bulldogtragic
05-10-2023, 10:17 PM
I guess what I'm inferring is that clubs roll the dice and see if they can get enough player and media pressure for a deal to be done. The media is thirsty for trades, as is the AFL. A high profile club figures it can push into a situation with a massive trade and then you have dickheads like Tom Brown openly saying how much they want the Bombers to win Dunkley on national TV because they broke the story.

It's highly speculative but just like in 2020 with Junkley, you get enough of a profile around it and all of a sudden it's real.

So they make the news and don’t simply report it anymore?

How many clicks would AN to Collingwood get?

Grantysghost
05-10-2023, 10:19 PM
My nephew fell asleep on the table during Bevo's speech.
I'm getting a little bored of the sulky Bevo persona. He needs to do some yoga or meditation and find the joy in the role again.

Topdog
05-10-2023, 10:38 PM
My nephew fell asleep on the table during Bevo's speech.
I'm getting a little bored of the sulky Bevo persona. He needs to do some yoga or meditation and find the joy in the role again.

He has fallen out of love with the job, he just hasnt realised it yet

Hotdog60
05-10-2023, 11:04 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cx-M1R4SNmt/

jeemak
06-10-2023, 01:15 AM
Was just watching the video of his post signing interview, and it had a side on at ground level of his kicking action. Put simply, he just drops the ball too close to his body.

If he aligned over his left as I assume he does, and then concentrated on extending his left/ drop arm forward he'd naturally have to keep over the ball at the drop, providing he still guided the ball down.

This would stop him from leaning back, and would also help the ball hit lower on his laces instead of closer to his shin which results in sprays all over the place.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 09:56 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7p5cw5aEAAdDTE?format=jpg&name=medium

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 10:14 AM
Purple was never going to miss if chance

IF ...

I've loved Aaron Naughton's style since his first game in 2018 ...
THEN ...

I'm also highly dubious about giving him a nine-season contractual commitment through to the end of 2032. Finished a distant ninth in the 2023 best-and-fairest count and in six seasons has placed just once (2022). After a highly embarrassing loss in Melbourne to woeful West Coast in round 22 cost the club a finals berth, the Dogs were desperate to fast-track this deal and announce it at Wednesday's Charles Sutton Medal function.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 10:16 AM

IF ...

THEN ...

I'm also highly dubious about giving him a nine-season contractual commitment through to the end of 2032. Finished a distant ninth in the 2023 best-and-fairest count and in six seasons has placed just once (2022). After a highly embarrassing loss in Melbourne to woeful West Coast in round 22 cost the club a finals berth, the Dogs were desperate to fast-track this deal and announce it at Wednesday's Charles Sutton Medal function.

I hope he doesn't start carrying on like he did with the Boyd deal. He really is a POS.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-10-2023, 10:17 AM

IF ...

THEN ...

That's a long bow to draw.

Dammed if you do, damned if you don't. If Naughton had accepted a 10yr offer from Sydney, Collingwood, Essendon or Geelong he'd be sinking the boots into us and singing their praises.

EasternWest
06-10-2023, 10:22 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F7p5cw5aEAAdDTE?format=jpg&name=medium

IF ...

THEN ...

Who?

bulldogtragic
06-10-2023, 10:26 AM
I hope he doesn't start carrying on like he did with the Boyd deal. He really is a POS.

Of course they will. They will watch with Aaron Naughton voodoo dolls hoping for a serious injury and then rush to a microphone or Twitter to tell the world they were right. Nothing surer. Why people listen to anything these people have to say confuses me. They need someone to ‘punch down’ on and that’s us apparently. Just tune them out until they all line up to say the Tom Boyd trade paid for itself in two hours.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 10:36 AM
Of course they will. They will watch with Aaron Naughton voodoo dolls hoping for a serious injury and then rush to a microphone or Twitter to tell the world they were right. Nothing surer. Why people listen to anything these people have to say confuses me. They need someone to ‘punch down’ on and that’s us apparently. Just tune them out until they all line up to say the Tom Boyd trade paid for itself in two hours.

If it was any other club, he wouldn't say anything

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
06-10-2023, 10:41 AM

What's more telling about guy's like Barrett, is how easily their narrative can be swayed by confirmation bias.
I have no doubt that were Sydney able to pull off a 10 yr deal for Naughton, Barrett's column would be nothing more than full of praise for their ability to get their man... and he'd be no doubt lauding their demonstrated ability to pay big money and keep their team together... like with Buddy...

hujsh
06-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Also got a job as a development coach at Airport West apparently.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 10:47 AM

Rubbish. There is no vendetta against us, he would have a crack at anyone. Same with Kane Cornes, it's their schtick.

GVGjr
06-10-2023, 10:55 AM
Rubbish. There is no vendetta against us, he would have a crack at anyone. Same with Kane Cornes, it's their schtick.

I agree, he knows we will bite and that's good for clicks.

bornadog
06-10-2023, 10:55 AM

Barrett has a vendetta

Cornes bags anyone except Port. Didn't say a thing about JHF long contract for a 2nd year player

Grantysghost
06-10-2023, 01:28 PM
Also got a job as a development coach at Airport West apparently.

https://i.postimg.cc/QNnjhnhR/naughtonairportwest.png (https://postimg.cc/G9YWjKBQ)

MrMahatma
06-10-2023, 02:58 PM
Not sure I've seen something like that before. A current player helping out coaching in a lower league? (Apart from when some of our injured players have helped out in the AFLW?)

Interesting and hopefully by teaching he also keeps learning.

ledge
06-10-2023, 03:39 PM
Not sure I've seen something like that before. A current player helping out coaching in a lower league? (Apart from when some of our injured players have helped out in the AFLW?)

Brian Lake was involved with Caroline springs for years.

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2023, 03:39 PM

It happens all the time. A lot of players help out at junior clubs but don't clamour for the profile.

Similarly quite a few of the private schools have current players as Assistants when they can help.

Grantysghost
06-10-2023, 03:54 PM
Brian Lake was involved with Caroline springs for years.

Now he's the coach. Didn't make the finals in his first year unfortunately.

MrMahatma
06-10-2023, 04:47 PM
It happens all the time. A lot of players help out at junior clubs but don't clamour for the profile.

Similarly quite a few of the private schools have current players as Assistants when they can help.

Didn't know that. That's really good.

SquirrelGrip
06-10-2023, 05:00 PM
Didn't know that. That's really good.

I'm aware a few of the Collingwood players do it - Scott Pendlebury, Nathan Murphy...

Flamethrower
06-10-2023, 05:19 PM
What were these clubs (WCE aside with Pick 1) going to use to trade for AN? I don?t understand how Sydney, Collingwood or Geelong would even get remotely close to satisfying a trade. A teen pick, a F1 and a good player. Hard pass from us. I don?t get it.

All of these offers for Astro were for after next season when he would have been out of contract and I believe a restricted free agent.
No trade would be required, and there were many more clubs lining up to offer him massive money.

Axe Man
06-10-2023, 06:30 PM
All of these offers for Astro were for after next season when he would have been out of contract and I believe a restricted free agent.
No trade would be required, and there were many more clubs lining up to offer him massive money.

I've had to repeat this a few times, no he wouldn't have been a free agent at the end of next year. But fair enough if you thought this as it was reported (incorrectly) several times in the media. 8 years service required for free agency which English meets next year, Naughton would have been 1 year short.

EasternWest
06-10-2023, 07:14 PM
I've had to repeat this a few times, no he wouldn't have been a free agent at the end of next year. But fair enough if you thought this as it was reported (incorrectly) several times in the media. 8 years service required for free agency which English meets next year, Naughton would have been 1 year short.

How can you know this?

azabob
06-10-2023, 09:25 PM
How can you know this?

Footy wire has a contracts thread. See below link.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2024

jeemak
06-10-2023, 09:58 PM
Footy wire has a contracts thread. See below link.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players?year=2024

It'd be amazing if I could get contract information, particularly about our own players, here.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-10-2023, 01:28 AM
How can you know this?

Its impossible...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
07-10-2023, 01:29 AM
It'd be amazing if I could get contract information, particularly about our own players, here.

of all places. Its one of the things I won't miss if this place ever shuts... And Axeman just won't leave it alone... WELL BLOODY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT SON!!!!! You're a senior member of this forum.... sheesh...

Uninformed
07-10-2023, 09:51 PM
Late to the party but love the Naughton news. Gotta pay market and you build teams around key forwards. The prospect of a long term with Marra is tremendously exciting. In my memory it would be the first long term pairing of genuinely star key forwards we have ever had.

Bulldog4life
08-10-2023, 05:46 PM
Late to the party but love the Naughton news. Gotta pay market and you build teams around key forwards. The prospect of a long term with Marra is tremendously exciting. In my memory it would be the first long term pairing of genuinely star key forwards we have ever had.

Fairly certain that Simon Beasley and Kelvin Templeton, both century goal kickers, played one season together in early 80's.

Uninformed
08-10-2023, 07:19 PM
Fairly certain that Simon Beasley and Kelvin Templeton, both century goal kickers, played one season together in early 80's.

Had a feeling that might have been the case. But I am still scarred by the lack of a partner in crime for Chris Grant his entire career.
Carey had Longmire (even Breidis!). Hird had Lucas. Oh well....

Twodogs
08-10-2023, 07:36 PM

They played above a dozen games together in 1982. KT was on and out of the team with lingering problems after his reco. Over the season they kicked about 100 goals between them with Beasley kicking 82 and Templeton just over 20

choconmientay
11-10-2023, 08:56 PM
SEN: SYDNEY ADMIT THEY ?HAD A CRACK? AT NAUGHTON (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/10/11/sydney-admit-they-had-a-crack-at-naughton-not-concerned-about-losing/)

Sydney Swans general manager of list strategy Kinnear Beatson admits the Swans had a crack at luring Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton to the harbour city.

Naughton recently signed on at the Whitten Oval on an eight-year extension through to the end of 2032. That deal was signed off the back of intense rival interest from the Swans among other clubs.

Reports following Naughton?s re-signing suggested Sydney tabled a deal worth more than $11 million over 10 years, and Beatson did concede the Swans certainly ?had a go? at recruiting the 23-year-old.

While they missed out on Naughton, Beatson said the Swans simply had to have a look at bringing a player of his calibre into the club.

Dang it! Sydney had really big plan this trade period.

Update 12/Oct: Sarah Olle and Josh Gabelich on Trade Radio reported Swans offered Naughton a 10y contract offer and forced our hands with an 8y one.

bulldogtragic
12-10-2023, 06:57 PM
Its impossible...

https://i.postimg.cc/QNnjhnhR/naughtonairportwest.png (https://postimg.cc/G9YWjKBQ)

How did we let a suburban club poach another potential assistant coach from us?