View Full Version : Bailey Smith - What's the right price?

09-10-2023, 07:30 PM
More rumors of clubs coming for him. You're Sam Power. What's the offer that gets you over the fence to say 'Done Deal'?

09-10-2023, 07:31 PM
top 10 this year + F1

09-10-2023, 07:32 PM
Hawthorns Pick 3 & F1 for a Smith and F2.

09-10-2023, 07:33 PM
3 and F2 off Hawks or 7 and F1 off Geelong.

09-10-2023, 07:35 PM
There are a few ways of looking at this but while I'd prefer to keep him and it really depends on how confident we are that he will sign on next year to see if that spooks us.
In the spirit of the thread I'd want a top 10 pick this year and a F1 pick to give the done deal endorsement.
If I got offered pick 3 this year I could be a bit more reasonable with a future pick.

09-10-2023, 07:35 PM
Hawthorns Pick 3 & F1 for a Smith and F2.

We need to hold our F2, an F3 and our F4 now having sold our first. So to do this we need to find another F2 to replace it.

Pick 3 and a F2.

Try to package up our 2 x F2 to upgrade into a later F1 next year.

09-10-2023, 07:36 PM

Yep. Either and we are running to sign off room.

09-10-2023, 08:56 PM
A top 5 and a top 10. He is a rolled gold influencer worth so much more than the average player.

09-10-2023, 09:36 PM

Something like this and a free pass to bully him mercilessly in his first two games against us because he's full of shit.

I don't want to lose him but if he asks for a trade this year then he can go and **** himself.

09-10-2023, 10:19 PM
Something like this and a free pass to bully him mercilessly in his first two games against us because he's full of shit.

I don't want to lose him but if he asks for a trade this year then he can go and **** himself.

I just don't think he will EVER ask. Bailey has said his bit - committed to the Dogs - and he will leave it there. The mechanics of any move will be left to 'others' to work through and speculate on.

09-10-2023, 10:26 PM
Pick 3 and I?d drive him to Waverley Park myself

09-10-2023, 10:30 PM
I just don't think he will EVER ask. Bailey has said his bit - committed to the Dogs - and he will leave it there. The mechanics of any move will be left to 'others' to work through and speculate on.

Willful ignorance to his part isn't going to cut it, but I agree, he'll try and leave it to others to do what's best for his career and Bailey Smith as a person. I can already hear him talking in the third person about himself while explaining it away.

09-10-2023, 10:32 PM
Talk North may end up getting 10 off GCS and then Pick 1 with 2 & 10 or so.

Hawthorn probably out of the running. I wonder to they just settle for their Pick 4, or look at Smith a bit harder.

Assuming Hawks offered 3 & F2 - I could live with back to back picks at 4 & 5. With two seconds next year, and two thirds there’s every chance of upgrading into a late first of late second (Carlton or Brisbane maybe).

That eventuality could change my view on the GCS trade. Picks 4 & 5, and hold enough picks to trade into the first and second round next year too. Without even thinking about English.

09-10-2023, 10:35 PM
Talk North may end up getting 10 off GCS and then Pick 1 with 2 & 10 or so.

Hawthorn probably out of the running. I wonder to they just settle for their Pick 4, or look at Smith a bit harder.

Assuming Hawks offered 3 & F2 - I could live with back to back picks at 4 & 5. With two seconds next year, and two thirds there’s every chance of upgrading into a late first of late second (Carlton or Brisbane maybe).

That eventuality could change my view on the GCS trade. Picks 4 & 5, and hold enough picks to trade into the first and second round next year too. Without even thinking about English.

Are you saying that looking at the post season holistically might be an option to consider, rather than losing one's mind over individual trades on day one?

That's ridiculous if you are.

09-10-2023, 10:41 PM
Are you saying that looking at the post season holistically might be an option to consider, rather than losing one's mind over individual trades on day one?

Probably.

Although now we know the Jeemak Dunkley price with the Pick 5 trade:

Clarke & 1/3 of Pick 5 (an actual deficit of drafts points in the pick swap and two fourth rounders we probably won’t use).

09-10-2023, 10:47 PM
Probably.

Although now we know the Jeemak Dunkley price with the Pick 5 trade:

Clarke & 1/3 of Pick 5 (an actual deficit of drafts points in the pick swap and two fourth rounders we probably won’t use).

My role in the Dunkley trade ceased after the 2020 trade period when Dodo did a Dodo. I just own the rights to the thread traffic/ clicks.*

*Must've given GVG the wrong address because he keeps telling me the cheque's coming....but funnily never uses the more common the "cheque's in the mail".

09-10-2023, 10:47 PM

I'm choosing to lose my mind. Sometimes it's warranted!
I might unlose it at some stage.
Ask me tomorrow.

09-10-2023, 10:49 PM
I'm choosing to lose my mind. Sometimes it's warranted!
I might unlose it at some stage.
Ask me tomorrow.
I am currently on an airplane reading all this so no comment

09-10-2023, 10:51 PM
Don't worry about Smith he will be with us next year and then he'll request a trade with a club that has no trade capital. :)

09-10-2023, 10:54 PM
Don't worry about Smith he will be with us next year and then he'll request a trade with a club that has no trade capital. :)

Hopefully a premiership side with loads of academy and f/s to get through the door.

09-10-2023, 10:54 PM
I am currently on an airplane reading all this so no comment

Can we force a Captain Groenewegan on BAD given the authorities are definitely tapping into his comms?

09-10-2023, 10:56 PM
Can we force a Captain Groenewegan on BAD given the authorities are definitely tapping into his comms?
Off to see my 94 year old mother

09-10-2023, 11:04 PM

Oh wow nice. Have a great time.

09-10-2023, 11:07 PM
My role in the Dunkley trade ceased after the 2020 trade period when Dodo did a Dodo. I just own the rights to the thread traffic/ clicks.*

*Must've given GVG the wrong address because he keeps telling me the cheque's coming....but funnily never uses the more common the "cheque's in the mail".

You're saying you aren't responsible for the Dunkley move and - by extension - the Collingwood premiership?

You don't have plausible deniability mate...you are in with Dunks right to the end!!

09-10-2023, 11:14 PM
We need to keep Smith.

But at trade value, his value is more than his footy. 2 x top 10s with 1 of them being top 5. Even then I’d be gutted. I don’t “love” him as a player (yet) but love him as an overall package for our “little” club.

09-10-2023, 11:15 PM
I honestly hope we retain Baz to help us make that F1 pick we just gave away today more palatable.

Also, I think at his best he can absolutely be pivotal to a high finish in season 2024.

What he did in 2021 was elite. Especially the Lions game. He is right up there is terms of ability and performance in big moments.

09-10-2023, 11:53 PM

Nice mate! We won't call in a captain's special then!

09-10-2023, 11:54 PM
You're saying you aren't responsible for the Dunkley move and - by extension - the Collingwood premiership?

You don't have plausible deniability mate...you are in with Dunks right to the end!!

It's just nice to see you lightening up. Always so serious.

10-10-2023, 12:20 AM
I honestly hope we retain Baz to help us make that F1 pick we just gave away today more palatable.

Also, I think at his best he can absolutely be pivotal to a high finish in season 2024.

What he did in 2021 was elite. Especially the Lions game. He is right up there is terms of ability and performance in big moments.

I do too, as long as he really wants to stay with us and he can regain that form with us. However if there are vibes he is only staying next year to increase his contract value then I’d rather trade him now. A repeat of Barbie Dunks would be disastrous.

10-10-2023, 12:21 AM
More rumors of clubs coming for him. You're Sam Power. What's the offer that gets you over the fence to say 'Done Deal'?

Two cases of BARRY now, and one future case

10-10-2023, 12:47 AM
If you are going to get rid of him its either player plus Future 1st or 2x Future 1sts

We don't want any top 10 picks this year it will just go on Croft

10-10-2023, 12:53 AM
If you are going to get rid of him its either player plus Future 1st or 2x Future 1sts

We don't want any top 10 picks this year it will just go on Croft

Are they now speculating earlier than ten for Croft?

10-10-2023, 03:55 AM
Sam Power says he is confident Jordan Croft will nominate for the club. “Bailey Smith’s name hasn’t been raised by anyone. Nothing is going to happen this trade period.”

10-10-2023, 08:14 AM
Sam Power says he is confident Jordan Croft will nominate for the club. “Bailey Smith’s name hasn’t been raised by anyone. Nothing is going to happen this trade period.”

…. But next trade period ….

10-10-2023, 09:26 AM

Confident.

Ok that still sounds to me like there's some work to do on that front.

10-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Just saw this image. Not sure where you find this info but if accurate is pretty damning for Smith and Treloar.

https://i.ibb.co/WvfMwz0/R22W.png

10-10-2023, 05:13 PM
Just saw this image. Not sure where you find this info but if accurate is pretty damning for Smith and Treloar.https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/r22-png.1827275/

What image?

10-10-2023, 05:15 PM
What image?
Stats showing Jai Newcombe torching both of these two head-to-head in that late season disaster in Launceston

10-10-2023, 05:17 PM
Stats showing Jai Newcombe torching both of these two head-to-head in that late season disaster in Launceston

Ah yes. When we still thought we’d sneak into the finals. Good times.

10-10-2023, 05:22 PM
What image?

Link broke so uploaded a copy myself

10-10-2023, 05:34 PM
How can you tell who someone's opponent is at any given time in the midfield? Sometimes it will be obvious when they are always standing next to each other at each stoppage, but often it must be very difficult to tell?

10-10-2023, 09:57 PM
Have we traded Baz for Hawks first pick yet? That’s the best move we can make all trade period.

10-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Have we traded Baz for Hawks first pick yet? That’s the best move we can make all trade period.

One can hope. WCE will only apparently sell Pick 1 to North for 2 & 3. So the Hawks Pick 4 gets used on an untested mid or on Smith. I vote on Smith plus an F2.

10-10-2023, 10:03 PM
One can hope. WCE will only apparently sell Pick 1 to North for 2 & 3. So the Hawks Pick 4 gets used on an untested mid or on Smith. I vote on Smith plus an F2.

No way I'd give up 2 and 3 for 1.

North get two elite kids through.

I know this sounds nuts, but WCE might have to sweeten that deal.

10-10-2023, 10:05 PM
No way I'd give up 2 and 3 for 1.

North get two elite kids through.

I know this sounds nuts, but WCE might have to sweeten that deal.

That’s apparently the price to get it so Hawthorn are out of the running.

10-10-2023, 10:05 PM
This snippet from a HS article about "Bailey Smith Experience" show at beachfront cafe and restaurant The Dunes in Ocean Grove on October 5.

Nothing interesting except this excerpt ...

Hawthorn recently declared its chase for Smith was off, with the midfielder set to remain a Bulldog.

Hawks list boss Rob McCartney said Smith was a "wonderful player", but the powerful midfielder's management had made it clear to the club he wanted to stay at Whitten Oval.

McCartney said Hawthorn had explored a trade move for Smith but heard he was not looking to play elsewhere next season after a turbulent campaign at the Bulldogs.

"Bailey, he's a wonderful player. I reckon there's 18 clubs including the Bulldogs who are saying, "he would make us better" in saying that, I know that conversations with his manager are very, very clear that he?s committed to the Bulldogs in 2024, so at this stage I don't think there's anything happening in that space" he said.

Again, not sure if declaring it's off in the media really mean it's off anyway.

10-10-2023, 10:06 PM

We apparently turned it down. I hope we don't repeat the Dunkley saga again. Turn down a good pick and then he leaves next year and nominates a top 4 club.

Danny Delre
11-10-2023, 10:33 PM
Reckon we trade him this year

11-10-2023, 10:34 PM
Reckon we trade him this year

As in we should trade him or he is going to ask for it?

11-10-2023, 10:50 PM
I was thinking before reading the ?hawks are linked to Watson? now (and their chips in player linked to North now), whether that?s a deliberate ploy by the Hawks to put out there they will get the player we traded up for? Whether they think that?s some leverage to come to us to see if we trade Smith for Watson/Pick 4 (& F2?). With Sanders to replace Smith as a mid.

Just a thought.

Also two F2 next year might get us back a F1 from a few different clubs. (F1 for 2 x F2’s)

12-10-2023, 12:13 AM
Bailey is an interesting one. If the club had the right people to help Bailey sort out his head, then he would be a top 10 player in the comp. He seems like a kid that was obsessed with footy & got his wish to be a pro. Has lived the dream the last few years & now is tumbling back down to earth & wondering 'is this it?'

It reminds me of a fabulous quote from Jim Carey 'I wish everyone could have the chance to be rich & famous & have everything they ever dreamed of, cause then they'll know that that's not it'. The kid is struggling imo & thinks hard work will change it. There are a lot of amazing resources out there, amazing minds that can help unlock these battles & find yourself. Would love to have a chat with this kid.

Personally, i think this is an area the club should invest heavily in. The reward is enormous in getting the best out of your players. Be bold, be different.

12-10-2023, 12:38 AM
Surely this whole lets trade Bailey Smith has been put to bed? We cant trade him.

12-10-2023, 12:52 AM
Surely this whole lets trade Bailey Smith has been put to bed? We cant trade him.

For the right price, and especially if we don't think he's staying, we can trade him