PDA

View Full Version : Time travelling Bulldogs players

Dry Rot
04-11-2023, 09:46 PM
How would some of our current players perform in a bygone era such as say the 1970s, 1980s or1990s with their different rules, fewer umpires, far fewer cameras, the old home grounds and crowds, different style of play and a lot more violence?

How would English go against the hardest and nastiest ruckmen of these eras playing under their rules? Likewise, how would Naughton go against their nastiest fullbacks? How would the Bont go back then, and given his height would he even be playing in the midfield? Would Libba just fit right in? etc

And likewise, how would some of our hardman players from the past find playing in the current environment, with multiple umpires and cameras, no tolerance of violence, different rules, etc? How would players like Kennedy, Foster, Southern, Kretyuik, and the so called nasty Wog Squad midfield, etc find playing in season 2023?

Pick your players from the present and the past and send them forwards and backward in time and see how they would go.

Mofra
04-11-2023, 11:20 PM
Rick Kennedy would last about 2 seasons until he hit the mandatory deregistration limit for 20 games suspended.
Bont would be a superstar in any era

SquirrelGrip
04-11-2023, 11:56 PM
English would be equivalent of Paul Salmon at full forward
Jamarra - Royce Hart at CHF
Naughton - Peter Knights at CHB

Libby would be the same superstar in any era.

GVGjr
05-11-2023, 01:22 AM
No surprises from me with the first nomination because an at his best Bernie Quinlan would be a sensational player in today's football.
If it was at CHB and especially playing at Marvel he might even change the game with his long and accurate kicks. As a FF or CHF he would kick a lot of goals especially under the roof of Marvel. Athletically he wouldn't be out of place.

I'd like to see how Peter Street would perform for the Dogs now. With the likes of English, Lobb and Darcy already at the club Street wouldn't be seen as freaky tallest player in the competition. We would have a line-up with that size that the Australian Boomers were never able to squeeze into one side.

I'd love to see how Scott West at his best would go in today's football? His level of pace could be a concern but I'm sure he would find away.

One last one, how would Caleb Daniel go in the 70's or 80's? Some of the rough nuts in those days would have found a way of getting some bone crunching bumps and tackles on him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-11-2023, 10:17 AM
Trying to think of difference makers who, if available to one of our other era's in a failed finals campaign might've made a difference.
I would like to have say Bont, Naughton and Libba into any one of our prelim final losses from 85 on. Similarly I'd add Dale Morris to that trio and I reckon every single on of those results would've come out in our favour!

Jasper
05-11-2023, 10:33 AM
Trying to think of difference makers who, if available to one of our other era's in a failed finals campaign might've made a difference.
I would like to have say Bont, Naughton and Libba into any one of our prelim final losses from 85 on. Similarly I'd add Dale Morris to that trio and I reckon every single on of those results would've come out in our favour!

Dale Morris would have been a good footballer in any era but probably appreciated more back in the 80s.

jazzadogs
05-11-2023, 12:13 PM
Veszpremi might have made it if he was able to time travel back to the start of pre season a few times.

Twodogs
05-11-2023, 01:44 PM
Veszpremi might have made it if he was able to time travel back to the start of pre season a few times.

If he could have game back to the 1979s Veszpremi would have been a star. With his skill level he would have been the classic fat bastard in the forward line who kicked goals for fun.

As for the original question asked by Dry Rot Doug Hawkins on the wing would have been a dominant force these days with his marking ability, his pinpoint disposal, his ability to win one on one contests and his evasive skills. You could drop Doug into a team of any eracabd he would have been a star but especially so these days.

Les Bamblett would kick six goals a game crumbling at the feet of Naughton, Marra and Lobbe.

Brian Cordy with his pace, evasiveness and intercept marking would fit right onto a half back flank these days.

bornadog
05-11-2023, 02:54 PM

1930s? :D

EasternWest
05-11-2023, 05:19 PM

He actually still may come good jazza.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

bornadog
05-11-2023, 05:43 PM
Sweet would have been good in the 1980s

jeemak
05-11-2023, 10:30 PM

He actually still my come good jazza.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

A non-believer. Vez will eventually show everyone, he's only 34 and apparently training the house down.

jazzadogs
05-11-2023, 10:32 PM
Mitch Hahn would have been even more effective in the 80s/90s I think.

Gilbee and Eagleton two who would be suited to the modern game.

Uninformed
05-11-2023, 11:26 PM

A long perfectly placed Gilbee delivery to a Marra lead and full stretch leap. Pure art!

josie
06-11-2023, 12:07 AM

Snap-(Gilbee & Eagleton) that’s who I thought of too!

Dry Rot
06-11-2023, 12:59 AM

Interesting.

Why?

Dry Rot
06-11-2023, 01:00 AM
Sweet would have been good in the 1980s

Again interesting.

Why?

josie
06-11-2023, 01:50 AM
I reckon Brad Johnson would still be good in modern game - if I recall correctly he could have played midfield but we were desperate for forwards back then.

Also think Bont, Libba & Naughton would be aok in whatever decade. They are all brave players that are prepared to put their bodies in the firing line.

Only saw tail end of Leon Cameron’s career but I think his silky skills would be aok in today’s game.

And from what woofers have shared of their memories; Teddy Whitten, Kelvin Templeton and Bernie Quinlan were all amazing players that could translate to todays’ game.

Do older woofers think Brad Hardie and Tony McGuinness (176cm - short but still taller than Caleb Daniel!!) would be ok in todays’ game?

GVGjr
06-11-2023, 08:42 AM
I reckon Brad Johnson would still be good in modern game - if I recall correctly he could have played midfield but we were desperate for forwards back then.

Also think Bont, Libba & Naughton would be aok in whatever decade. They are all brave players that are prepared to put their bodies in the firing line.

Only saw tail end of Leon Cameron’s career but I think his silky skills would be aok in today’s game.

And from what woofers have shared of their memories; Teddy Whitten, Kelvin Templeton and Bernie Quinlan were all amazing players that could translate to todays’ game.

Do older woofers think Brad Hardie and Tony McGuinness (176cm - short but still taller than Caleb Daniel!!) would be ok in todays’ game?

With the tall timber we have Brad Johnson could be kept on a wing and he would thrive there.
On talent Brad Hardie and Tony McGuinness would easily transition to the modern game although Brad would need to get a lot fitter.
T-Mac would struggle a bit with being pitted against so many bigger mids but he would still find away to dominate.

jazzadogs
06-11-2023, 09:16 AM
Interesting.

Why?

My opinion is mostly based on footage, rather than my own thoughts at the time, as I was a child... But

I think he just always looked like a relic of a previous era. Brute force. Awkward style with gait and skill which didn't scream full time professional footballer.

In an era of part time footballers I think he would have worked harder than others and elevated himself above.

bornadog
06-11-2023, 10:43 AM
Again interesting.

Why?

Because in the 80s, the ruckman were big lumbering types that won the tap out and did not do much else. That sums up Sweet.

Happy Days
08-11-2023, 04:43 PM
Gilbee would actually be worse now I think. He stood out so much because he was really the first of his kind, now every team has at least two or three players they look to feed the ball to. Not to mention he’s getting a defensive forward every week, or at least having to play on a pressure player.

Jeanette54
08-11-2023, 10:34 PM
David Thorpe, with a physique built by modern gym and fitness training, would have been infinitely scarier than he was. And that was pretty damn scary at the time, ask any of his opponents.

Of course, EJ would still be a champion in any era.