PDA

View Full Version : Players who desperately need to make a leap in 2024

GVGjr
10-11-2023, 07:50 AM
Kane Cornes has nominated 5 players who need to make a leap forward in 2024

Players who desperately need to make a leap in 2024 (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/09/the-afl-players-who-desperately-need-to-make-a-leap-in-2024/)

Kane Cornes has listed the five players in the AFL who he believes must make a leap in season 2024.

The Port Adelaide champion believes the players he has listed can step right up and become bona fide stars of the competition next year.

Cornes went through each of his five players, explaining what he wants to see from them in order to take that giant leap.

"Sometimes you get to a level and you stay there," Cornes said on SEN's Sportsday.

"That's who you are and you never make that leap".

"I've written down some names of players that I think desperately need to take the next step next year."

See his list below:

1 - Max King (St Kilda)

Is this just what he is?

Is Max King a player capable of kicking four or five (goals) three times a year and then for the rest he's a reasonably inconsistent forward who has his moments, but can let you down in front of goal.

Of course he needs a good run of it with his body, he needs to work on his kicking.

But is he good enough to make the leap into an All-Australian team? To be in contention to win a Coleman Medal?

In Tom Hawkins sixth season he made a giant leap. Hawkins kicked 62 goals, he took 54 contested marks, he had 19 goal assists and made the first of his five All-Australian teams in 2012.

They're not the same player, I get that, but they play the same position. They are the sort of numbers that I think King is capable of. He has all the talent.

This is King's sixth season (in 2024). He needs to make that leap next year.?

2 - Cam Rayner (Brisbane)

Cam Rayner is coming into his seventh year and he was a Pick 1.

24 years of age and he is entering his absolute prime. To be fair to him, I think he took a step forward this year, highlighted by his devastating Qualifying Final against Port Adelaide.

He finished top five in Brisbane?s best and fairest in a Grand Final team, that's a good effort.

But I didn't call it a leap, I called it a step. It's time for a leap now.

He's as close as anyone to Jordan De Goey, Dustin Martin, Christian Petracca, and at times he?s touched that level, but he hasn't been able to maintain that.

I want to know if he's fit enough, I want to know if he works hard enough, but he's definitely got the talent to make that leap.

I think his ceiling is a top 10 player in the game. That?s where I see him but he hasn't done that yet.

3 - Matt Rowell (Gold Coast)

He's always a divisive one. Whenever I speak about Matt Rowell I get heavily criticised.

Because he plays at a high level every week, but my interest is in whether that's his ceiling.

Is Matt Rowell 21 touches, eight tackles and six clearances a game for the rest of his career? Or is he Lachie Neale? Can he do it, can he get to 28 touches, and can he kick more than seven goals in a season? Can he break away and actually really hurt the opposition with his legs and with his disposals?

Or is he Ben Cunnington? Which is a nice level, it?s a good level to play at and he'll play 300 games, but?

4 - Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)

He's got to improve significantly, the Bulldogs are paying him superstar money for average to good performances.

In 11 games this year he kicked one goal or less. If Cody Weightman hadn't have missed four games, he would have beaten him for the Bulldogs. goal kicking award, and this guy is 177cm.

If you sat down and did your Top 50 players in the game, Naughton wouldn't be there.

For him to take the leap, he's got to be in the squad of 44 for the All-Australian team. That's what he's capable of.

His goal return has got be in the 60s, particularly with the supply he's going to get.

5 - Kysaiah Pickett (Melbourne)

I've got Kozzie Pickett written down because I think his last three seasons have been good, but they've been at the same level.

Pickett is at the same level he was in year two. He's closing in on 100 games.

I sat in on the All-Australian meetings and we are crying out for someone to put their hand up and say, I am the best small forward in the competition?. Because right now I couldn't tell you who that is.

There's got to be someone who says, Here I am, I'm (the next) Eddie Betts, I'm the best small forward in the game. It's got to be this guy.

He finished seventh in Melbourne's best and fairest, which isn't a disaster by any means, he kicked 37 goals, which also isn't a disaster, but he's got to be All-Australian.

He's good enough to do that.

Grantysghost
10-11-2023, 08:16 AM
Agree re Naughton. Also he's a defender xD

The Doctor
10-11-2023, 08:38 AM
Top 5 Bulldogs who need to make a leap in 2024

Bailey Smith - wouldn't it be great to see him get back to 2021 form?

Jack Macrae - wouldn't it be great to see him get back to pre 2023 form?

Rory Lobb - Can he play like he did the last few games in 2023 throughout 2024

Laitham Van Der Meer - needs to cement himself in a position in the backline, stay fit, and deliver

Anthony Scott - needs to crack in more and get more than 10 disposals per game. A nice player who is regularly picked but needs to lift

bornadog
10-11-2023, 08:50 AM

Laitham Van Der Meer - needs to cement himself in a position in the backline, stay fit, and deliver

Anthony Scott - needs to crack in more and get more than 10 disposals per game. A nice player who is regularly picked but needs to lift

Great nominations Doc.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-11-2023, 10:12 AM
Agree re Naughton. Also he's a defender xD

We would be a far better team with Naughton at centre half back and Jones at full back with O’Donnell becoming our third tall defender.
A lack of run out of defence from the likes of
O’Brien Gardner Bruce and Keath has restricted quicker ball movement into our forward line.
Changing Macrae with Smith in the midfield and using Lobb more as a tap ruck man to allow English to play more as a key forward together with Ugle Hagen as the other key forward, would give us a more balanced combination.
Consideration should also be given to use Caleb Daniel with his footy smarts to become our small forward pocket which we have lacked.
There needs to be some radical new thinking by our Match Committee, otherwise we will continue with our two past years down hill spiral.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-11-2023, 10:40 AM

Worth a thread by itself Doc. Quite a few who need to step up.

ledge
10-11-2023, 11:21 AM
Problem here is he is judging Naughton on goals kicked, as a footballer who played at the highest level he should know it’s more than that . Eg he may have played up the ground a few games . He may have blocked defenders so his other forwards could mark or kick goals , he may have been the dummy forward at times leading he main backman away so Ugle Hagan was free, he may have marked and handballed off for a goal.
So next year if he kicks 50 and Jamarra kicks 50 he did his job. You can’t possibly make an article like this without it being so lazy.

lemmon
10-11-2023, 11:30 AM

I like that call, but what is Anthony Scott? I think he's an inside mid that we force onto a flank because he's clean, a nice kick, can take a mark and can do a 'job'.

It's not that dissimilar to Robbie McComb. We grab the most well-performed Footscray player (an inside mid) but can't play them there because we're already stacked so ask them to do a job they aren't suited to. If we are getting a Footscray player this year, I hope we're a bit more inventive in looking to fill a need, not just selecting the next-best player on the conveyor belt (which would probably be Lachie Sullivan).

azabob
10-11-2023, 11:40 AM
Taking on Doc's lead:

Luke Beveridge: Can he re-discover his enjoyment in all aspects of the coaching game?

Ryan Gardner: The full back role is his if he wants it. Can he remain fit and be that rock we desperately need down back?

Bailey Williams: Can be such a "meh" player at times. Has a lot of natural ability, can he become a consistent wingmen who can kick one to two goals a game? His best footy coincided with our best footy...

Bailey Smith: Our midfield is screaming out for some youth, pace, dash and dare. Bailey has those all in spades, can he deliver in the heat of the kitchen?

Rhylee West: Are you fit enough to take a midfield role? You certainly have the tools to make it... your on the smaller side so you will have to work twice as hard.

Axe Man
10-11-2023, 11:48 AM
Bailey Williams: Can be such a "meh" player at times. Has a lot of natural ability, can he become a consistent wingmen who can kick one to two goals a game? His best footy coincided with our best footy...

Don't disagree in general but 1-2 goals a game from a wing is an unrealistic expectation. Gulden is the only wing that got near 1 goal a game this year (22 from 24 games). The other all Australian wing in Josh Daicos kicked 16.

Williams kicked 11 which isn't a bad return. I think there are other aspects of his game that need improving ahead of goal kicking.

azabob
10-11-2023, 12:40 PM
Don't disagree in general but 1-2 goals a game from a wing is an unrealistic expectation. Gulden is the only wing that got near 1 goal a game this year (22 from 24 games). The other all Australian wing in Josh Daicos kicked 16.

Williams kicked 11 which isn't a bad return. I think there are other aspects of his game that need improving ahead of goal kicking.

It is and it isn't. Williams would have one or two shots at goal a game. No reason why he can't kick one goal a game.

Axe Man
10-11-2023, 12:53 PM
It is and it isn't. Williams would have one or two shots at goal a game. No reason why he can't kick one goal a game.

Well you are correct in that he had exactly 1 shot per game average for the year, so if he never missed he could have kicked 1 goal per game. Not sure how he's going to get twice as many shots on goal that would likely be required for 1 goal a game average.

There's a very good reason why he isn't likely to kick 1 goal a game - because nobody outside Gulden did it this year and he is a far better player than Williams. I also imagine it would require him to be more offensively minded which is going to negatively impact his defensive game. It is just as important that he gets back and helps the backline as it is for him to hit the scoreboard.

hujsh
10-11-2023, 01:02 PM
Goals is less of a concern for Bailey's game IMO. I think increasing his average possession count by 4 (to twenty) would go a long way to making him a more consistent and reliable player. In 15 games he had less than 20 touches. It's great when he impacts games but he needs to do it more often

FrediKanoute
11-11-2023, 02:48 AM
4 - Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)

He's got to improve significantly, the Bulldogs are paying him superstar money for average to good performances.

In 11 games this year he kicked one goal or less. If Cody Weightman hadn't have missed four games, he would have beaten him for the Bulldogs. goal kicking award, and this guy is 177cm.

If you sat down and did your Top 50 players in the game, Naughton wouldn't be there.

For him to take the leap, he's got to be in the squad of 44 for the All-Australian team. That's what he's capable of.

His goal return has got be in the 60s, particularly with the supply he's going to get.

I'm not sure I agree he has to make a significant leap. He has kicked between 40 and 50 goals for the last few seasons, so its a case of nudging that up a bit. He now takes the best defender and has the body strength to match. This opens up opportunities for JUH, the resting ruck and Weightman to flourish. If he scored 10 to 15 more goals a game that would be enough.

jeemak
11-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Problem here is he is judging Naughton on goals kicked, as a footballer who played at the highest level he should know it’s more than that . Eg he may have played up the ground a few games . He may have blocked defenders so his other forwards could mark or kick goals , he may have been the dummy forward at times leading he main backman away so Ugle Hagan was free, he may have marked and handballed off for a goal.
So next year if he kicks 50 and Jamarra kicks 50 he did his job. You can’t possibly make an article like this without it being so lazy.

What Kane knows and what he says are two different things.

Everyone else would be leaning on Smith, he goes Naughton because he's been building on him for a couple of months now. In the lead up to his contract and the aftermath.

He's right, Naughton needs to tidy things up and convert more. But he's worth what the market says he is, shit, great, in-between, or whatever. People don't understand that bit, they think players who earn big have to deliver beyond incremental improvement on what they've delivered in the past.

Kane speaks to them.

jeemak
11-11-2023, 03:11 AM
I like that call, but what is Anthony Scott? I think he's an inside mid that we force onto a flank because he's clean, a nice kick, can take a mark and can do a 'job'.

It's not that dissimilar to Robbie McComb. We grab the most well-performed Footscray player (an inside mid) but can't play them there because we're already stacked so ask them to do a job they aren't suited to. If we are getting a Footscray player this year, I hope we're a bit more inventive in looking to fill a need, not just selecting the next-best player on the conveyor belt (which would probably be Lachie Sullivan).

Scott is excellent depth who can play down the side of the ground forward, middle and back. He can take a mark, can kick a goal via excellent conversion, and right place right time. What he can't do is all of those things consistently in games and between them.

I'm happy enough if he plays, but I want him to be the guy putting pressure on the guy who is playing.

GVGjr
11-11-2023, 06:49 AM
I'm not sure I agree he has to make a significant leap. He has kicked between 40 and 50 goals for the last few seasons, so its a case of nudging that up a bit. He now takes the best defender and has the body strength to match. This opens up opportunities for JUH, the resting ruck and Weightman to flourish. If he scored 10 to 15 more goals a game that would be enough.

He is capable of a significant leap but really if he could improve his goal kicking accuracy to the point that he could score 55 goals a season that would be a huge positive for the club and player.
We have made a long term investment in keeping him at the club, he's in the leadership group and he's a very well paid player within the competition so we need to set the benchmark high for him. The good part his best football is still in front of him.
He's got a very good support team around him in Ugle-Hagan, Lobb and Weightman so we do need Naughton to step forward and be the leader of the forward line. I like his chances of meeting this challenge.

Grantysghost
11-11-2023, 07:10 AM
What Kane knows and what he says are two different things.

Everyone else would be leaning on Smith, he goes Naughton because he's been building on him for a couple of months now. In the lead up to his contract and the aftermath.

He's right, Naughton needs to tidy things up and convert more. But he's worth what the market says he is, shit, great, in-between, or whatever. People don't understand that bit, they think players who earn big have to deliver beyond incremental improvement on what they've delivered in the past.

Kane speaks to them.

Don't mansplain clickbait Jee ;)

#jesuiskane

GVGjr
11-11-2023, 09:44 AM
If I was putting the top 5 for the Dogs that need to improve as per Doc's lead I'd go with:

Bailey Smith - We need everything that Smith can offer. If he tidies up his kicking and stays fit there is a strong chance he could be the biggest improver on the playing list. It's a contract year so he should be well motivated.

Bailey Williams - For whatever reason we haven't quite seen the best from Williams and hopefully in 2024 we start to see him reach his potential. With the emergence of Poulter and the acquisition of Harmes he has some more competition for a spot on the wing so Williams should be well motivated.

Aaron Naughton - As per previous post

Sam Darcy - Two injury interrupted seasons but we've seen glimpses of his huge potential. Where he actually fits in still isn't quite clear.

Jack Macrae - He's been one of the competitions most consistent performers but in 2023 we saw a real downturn in his input.
If Macrae can recover it can only help us.

Go_Dogs
12-11-2023, 08:04 AM
Top 5 for me would be:

Smith - his best is brilliant and we need him to do that more often. If he can spend more time in the midfield where his wheels are important, tidy up his field kicking and also impact the scoreboard more consistently, he becomes one of the best players in the league. I don’t think he’ll get there, but a top 5 finish in our B&F would be great.

Jamarra - has shown incremental improvement each year and is now primed to take a bigger leap. Expectation will continue to be heaped on him and his importance of those leaps to our outcomes mean I’m putting him here.

Dale - struggled to get to the heights of previous years last year (not helped by injuries / form / new positions for some of his running mates down back) and is critical to our transition game. We need him getting 18-20 kicks each week.

Poulter - I think he has the size, running ability and long kicking game to be an 80m player who can also support back and forward in the air. If he can lock down a wing role and become productive (even if he’s a 15-20 disposal player next year) that will help us. A poor season could see him on the outter fast.

JOD - went from a “why is he getting a game” to “he’s got a lot to work with” over the course of the season and is now our key defender with the brightest future in my eyes. If he can grow his intercept game, and continue to build his decision making and disposal he’s a very important cog. Another where more expectation is coming and hopefully not a victim of second year blues.

macca
12-11-2023, 10:59 AM
He is capable of a significant leap but really if he could improve his goal kicking accuracy to the point that he could score 55 goals a season that would be a huge positive for the club and player.
We have made a long term investment in keeping him at the club, he's in the leadership group and he's a very well paid player within the competition so we need to set the benchmark high for him. The good part his best football is still in front of him.
He's got a very good support team around him in Ugle-Hagan, Lobb and Weightman so we do need Naughton to step forward and be the leader of the forward line. I like his chances of meeting this challenge.

I have a good feeling about Scott. Every year his been with us, he has improved. All the things mentioned above by jeemak, I see he does consistently. I see him as someone who can kick 30+ goals in a season then we have a very valuable player. 50 goals a season is a star ( very few players can do this) . His got a bit of a Matthew Boyd about him in his competitiveness, and their Rookie journeys are similar in their VFL path.
The good thing he provides depth, and his competitiveness he will push himself to be best 22, to even higher instead of a fringe player or making up the numbers.

FrediKanoute
14-11-2023, 12:25 AM
Top 5 for me would be:

Smith: For a guy who will command significant coin he needs to be mentioned in the same breath as Danger/Neale/Cripps/Bont

West: He needs to own that midfield spot and push Libba aside. Wont be easy, but he is running out of time

Darcy: injury ruined season means he as slipped in a year of development. Want him really competing with Lobb come the end of the year for the 2nd ruck role

Busslinger: if he can't hold down a spot in a really weak backline then to be honest he is never going to. Yes he is only a 2nd year player, but we need to see what he has and whether he has anything. Was a bit of a reach when we should probably have gone with a mid.

Bedendo: the club has shown faith in him and this year its time to repay

Sedat
15-11-2023, 11:43 AM
I think Bailey Williams needs to be hit with the proverbial cattle prod this off-season. He's been rewarded with a longish term deal off the back of middling form for the last 2 seasons. I commend the decision to retain him but I expect him to significantly lift his output to an elite standard and challenge the existing midfield group to become an additional component of the mix in that part of the ground. He has capacity to become more consistently elite and damaging player, and has flexibility to add value in different areas (half-back, wing, midfield).

Over to you Truck.

bornadog
15-11-2023, 11:50 AM
I think Bailey Williams needs to be hit with the proverbial cattle prod this off-season. He's been rewarded with a longish term deal off the back of middling form for the last 2 seasons. I commend the decision to retain him but I expect him to significantly lift his output to an elite standard and challenge the existing midfield group to become an additional component of the mix in that part of the ground. He has capacity to become more consistently elite and damaging player, and has flexibility to add value in different areas (half-back, wing, midfield).

Over to you Truck.

Agree with this but one thing is he is being moved around alot because we can't seem to settle him into one role. Not sure if that effects his performance or not.

Danjul
15-11-2023, 12:32 PM
Agree with this but one thing is he is being moved around alot because we can't seem to settle him into one role. Not sure if that effects his performance or not.
I am sure that it would. But that is a consequence of the broader team structure not working. Where might he be most damaging? Put him there and leave him there.

Nuggety Back Pocket
15-11-2023, 09:36 PM
I am sure that it would. But that is a consequence of the broader team structure not working. Where might he be most damaging? Put him there and leave him there.

Bailey Williams best position has been as a wing man. Did struggle at different times
when played as a defender. Needs to work on his pace and quicker ball movement forward.

josie
16-11-2023, 06:30 PM

Have we ever tried Williams in the middle or at clearances?

bornadog
16-11-2023, 07:50 PM

Don't recall him playing in the middle

GVGjr
16-11-2023, 07:59 PM
Don't recall him playing in the middle

I can't recall it either. Worth considering though.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 10:50 AM
Bailey has shown aptitude in every position he's been played. It's his consistency across and within games in all of the spots he's been tried in that's led to him being moved around. Bevo when talking about one of our other Baileys (Dale) mentioned that like Bailey Bailey was too good not to be playing senior AFL footy so he had the luxury of being tried in different positions to see what really sticks at the level. It's worked for Bailey but Bailey hasn't quite settled.

I agree with Sedat, he should be mature enough to dig in and put it together for the rest of his career now.

bulldogtragic
18-11-2023, 10:56 AM

He trained was it 3-4 years ago nearly the whole pre-season with the mids but then we never saw it in the season. Which is a little weird, we at least got a game of Easton up forward before shelving it. You’d think he would have the tools to do ok in there.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 11:53 AM
I knew I remembered him saying that he'd played midfield before......:

Williams added: “Two years ago I played midfield against Geelong. That was a surreal experience coming up against Joel Selwood, Patrick Dangerfield and Ablett. It was amazing.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-bailey-williams-western-bulldogs-preseason-summer-training-most-improved-afl-player/news-story/6c826c612dde0126532c1bc098925e40

That aside, you could hopefully write an updated version of the same article this year about Bailey.

Bulldog4life
19-11-2023, 04:10 PM
I am hoping Sam Darcy takes a huge leap in 2024 and successfully challenges Rory Lobb for his position in the side.

GVGjr
19-11-2023, 04:49 PM
I am hoping Sam Darcy takes a huge leap in 2024 and successfully challenges Rory Lobb for his position in the side.

As supporters we should have known that Darcy was going to take a little while to develop but if we look at Marra's rapid improvement this year we should be really positive that Darcy will come on in a big way.
I'm not sure we desperately need him to take a huge leap but if he stays fit that might get the sort of footy into him that we need.

Garcia, Bedendo, Cleary, West, Khamis and McNeil really need step up next year and make the most of their chances.

bornadog
19-11-2023, 05:50 PM
I would like to see VDM take the next step. He has teased us a few times and then copped an injury. He needs to be settled into a role and make it his own. He has pace but decision making lacks a little and needs to deliver the ball accurately.

Bulldog4life
21-11-2023, 03:48 PM
The players I would like to see take a leap are Bedendo and Buku. Both are on one year contracts so this is probably their last chance.