PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jackson helping Dogs with review

Grantysghost
13-11-2023, 05:36 PM
Message from KWW.

With that mission in mind, Club CEO Ameet Bains will be undertaking an additional process of reviewing various aspects of the administration, operation and integration of the AFL men?s program, the program?s overarching environment and how the Club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success. This is an important step that will benefit the AFL men?s program, our players and our staff.

To gain additional perspective, the Club has engaged experienced football administrator Peter Jackson to assist with this further process.

Peter has extensive leadership and high-performance expertise built on his 30 years working across a range of senior executive, Board and management consulting roles, including two successful decades in the AFL industry as CEO of both the Essendon and Melbourne Football Clubs, as well as serving as Chairman of AFL Victoria.

Peter will provide his advice to Club leadership outlining his perspective on our men?s program and any recommendations he has for enhancing our AFL team's future success, which we will consider, and share relevant details of in due course.

----

Full message

To our Bulldogs members and fans,

At the conclusion of the AFL men’s season, the Club spoke of our ongoing process to identify improvements to the AFL program to underpin our future success. We started a process during the latter stages of the 2023 season and ramped up the day after our season’s conclusion.

Through the process, and some organic shifts that can be expected at the end of a season, several changes have been made to our AFL program to strengthen our football department, as shared in recent weeks.

Key people we have welcomed to the Club recently include Matt Egan (Coaching & Performance Manager), Daniel Pratt (Backline & Defensive Systems coach), Jarryn Geary (Development & Player Leadership coach), Alex Johnson (Development Coach), Daniel Duvnjak-Zaknich (Head of Physical Performance) and Dr Anthony Hipsley (Chief Medical Officer).

This comes on top of the on-field changes that saw the Club welcome players James Harmes and Nick Coffield during the AFL Trade Period, in addition to securing a top five pick in the upcoming National Draft, a selection that will headline the Club’s acquisition of another talented group of young players that should include father-son prospect Jordan Croft.

With the significance and depth of these changes, combined with the exciting new football facilities arising from the transformational redevelopment of Whitten Oval, we now need to ensure these changes seamlessly translate into the operation of the most effective, integrated and high-performing AFL men’s program possible for our 2024 season.

With that mission in mind, Club CEO Ameet Bains will be undertaking an additional process of reviewing various aspects of the administration, operation and integration of the AFL men’s program, the program’s overarching environment and how the Club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success. This is an important step that will benefit the AFL men’s program, our players and our staff.

To gain additional perspective, the Club has engaged experienced football administrator Peter Jackson to assist with this further process.

Peter has extensive leadership and high-performance expertise built on his 30 years working across a range of senior executive, Board and management consulting roles, including two successful decades in the AFL industry as CEO of both the Essendon and Melbourne Football Clubs, as well as serving as Chairman of AFL Victoria.

Peter will provide his advice to Club leadership outlining his perspective on our men’s program and any recommendations he has for enhancing our AFL team’s future success, which we will consider, and share relevant details of in due course.

We look forward to our football staff and players returning to the Club for pre-season training in the coming weeks, as we prepare for the 2024 season.

Go Dogs.

ReLoad
13-11-2023, 05:43 PM
Looks like that’s the end of Chris Grant.

bornadog
13-11-2023, 05:50 PM
Just got the email, excellent work. Look forward to seeing improvements on field.

Grantysghost
13-11-2023, 05:59 PM
Looks like that’s the end of Chris Grant.

Ha, will be very interesting to see what comes of it RL.

Hopefully it's transparent. Think that's what is required (within reason).

GVGjr
13-11-2023, 06:03 PM
I know many supporters don't like change, or are resistant to it because of past experiences, but I've found all the changes we've done since the end of the 2023 season to be a real positive.
Full credit to Bains and Grant for reshaping the footy department and now KWW and Bains are looking at the wider scope of the club.
Done right, change can be a very good thing to reinvigorate a club. Jackson will be a good addition to focus on that work.

MrMahatma
13-11-2023, 06:10 PM
So what actually is this reviewing? Grant? Power? Milesi? Amount spent on soft-cap / medicos etc?

IE: Everything not coaching related, but not CEO/Pres related?

Eastdog
13-11-2023, 06:10 PM
Really good to hear from the president Kylie Watson Wheeler and that changes have been made in response to our recent season. Now for a big pre season going into 2024.

GVGjr
13-11-2023, 06:25 PM
So what actually is this reviewing? Grant? Power? Milesi? Amount spent on soft-cap / medicos etc?

IE: Everything not coaching related, but not CEO/Pres related?

From a footy department perspective it appears that we believe that the club underachieved and have taken a number of steps to address that. I can't recall seeing as many changes in our footy department without the senior coach being replaced.
New assistant coaches, new development coaches, we've reintroduced a performance and coaching focus and have a new fitness boss and medical officer.

Now that the redevelopment of the Whitten Oval is close to being finalised the focus will be on trimming the admin team and ensuring all the supporting departments are working together and we've brought in an experienced person with a wealth of restructing experience to work with Bains to achieve that. That's a substantial project in itself. Jackson doesn't suffer fools and this review will be targeted on delivering results.
List management, recruiting and probably Chris Grants role might fall under the focus on Bains and Jackson.

I really appreciate the public acknowledgement that KWW has confirmed today and it's clearly now not one of those internal reviews that get conveniently swept under the carpet.

This will set expectations on the club to achieve results and that can only be a good thing.

Grantysghost
13-11-2023, 06:57 PM
From a footy department perspective it appears that we believe that the club underachieved and have taken a number of steps to address that. I can't recall seeing as many changes in our footy department without the senior coach being replaced.
New assistant coaches, new development coaches, we've reintroduced a performance and coaching focus and have a new fitness boss and medical officer.

Now that the redevelopment of the Whitten Oval is close to being finalised the focus will be on trimming the admin team and ensuring all the supporting departments are working together and we've brought in an experienced person with a wealth of restructing experience to work with Bains to achieve that. That's a substantial project in itself. Jackson doesn't suffer fools and this review will be targeted on delivering results.
List management, recruiting and probably Chris Grants role might fall under the focus on Bains and Jackson.

I really appreciate the public acknowledgement that KWW has confirmed today and it's clearly now not one of those internal reviews that get conveniently swept under the carpet.

This will set expectations on the club to achieve results and that can only be a good thing.

Aflw review should follow.

Twodogs
13-11-2023, 06:57 PM
Twodogs is excited.

GVGjr
13-11-2023, 07:21 PM
From Code Sports (https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/former-melbourne-and-essendon-ceo-peter-jackson-will-assist-western-bulldogs-mens-program-review/news-story/6024f2e8726b6f8cdc40850d38c97f6f)

Western Bulldogs have backflipped and decided to call in external help to review their underperforming football department.

Chief executive Ameet Bains will run the review, but will seek assistance from long-time Essendon and Melbourne boss and AFL life member Peter Jackson.

The veteran administrator helped North Melbourne appoint Jennifer Watt as chief executive last year and is highly-respected in the football industry.

The Herald Sun understands Dogs No.1 ticketholder Alan Johnstone, 83, urged the club to conduct an external review after its failed season.

Johnstone, who has twice served as a board member and has long been treasured at Whitten Oval for his off-field contributions, was not bloodthirsty but simply wanting his beloved football club to maximise its potential.

It’s understood Bains told Johnstone, and other influential figures angling for an external review, that some rival clubs had paid huge sums of money for reviews and not gone on to be overly successful.

The Dogs believed in an internal review, where they could look each other in the eyes and sort things out.

But on Monday president Kylie Watson-Wheeler confirmed the fresh eyes of Jackson would be brought in.

“Bains will be undertaking an additional process of reviewing various aspects of the administration, operation and integration of the AFL men’s program, the program’s overarching environment and how the club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success,” Watson-Wheeler said.

“This is an important step that will benefit the AFL men’s program, our players and our staff.

“To gain additional perspective, the club has engaged experienced football administrator Peter Jackson to assist with this further process.

“Peter will provide his advice to club leadership outlining his perspective on our men’s program and any recommendations he has for enhancing our AFL team’s future success, which we will consider, and share relevant details of in due course.”

Assessing and potentially improving the environment looms as a critical component amid some whispers of tension at the kennel.

The Dogs boast what is widely regarded as a top-four list, but have failed to win a final in six of the past seven seasons.

This year they dropped a home game against wooden-spooner West Coast in round 23 to miss finals altogether for the first time since 2018.

Another dismal season would place significant pressure on football boss Chris Grant and coach Luke Beveridge.

But both figures were backed in by Bains and the board following the season.

With captain Marcus Bontempelli at the peak of his powers there is a sense of urgency to cash in and secure a second premiership quickly.

The Dogs collected the AFLW wooden spoon after a 1-9 season with a percentage of 53.8.

But Bains and Jackson will only focus on the men’s program in the review announced on Monday.

ledge
13-11-2023, 07:52 PM
I’m a bit worried . What did Peter Jackson do at Essendon as they have nothing to show from him being there.

Twodogs
13-11-2023, 08:08 PM
I’m a bit worried . What did Peter Jackson do at Essendon as they have nothing to show from him being there.

They have the 2000 premiership. He was there from 1996-2009. He modernized their finances and left them in a much better position off field than when he started. His only real own goal was the appointment of Matthew Knights.

But it was at Melbourne he performed the real miracle. Getting them stable enough to actually win a flag was a master stroke.

If anyone is going to look into the club and ask difficult questions then I can't think of a better person than Peter Jackson

JanLorMill
13-11-2023, 08:14 PM
Strange timing. Make changes then do an external review.

GVGjr
13-11-2023, 08:19 PM
Strange timing. Make changes then do an external review.

The footy department changes were signed-off a while back and this is more of a review given the redevelopment is in the final phase of aligning the rest of the club with the footy department.

ReLoad
13-11-2023, 08:43 PM

They wear a lot more polyester blended suits?

ledge
13-11-2023, 08:46 PM
They have the 2000 premiership. He was there from 1996-2009. He modernized their finances and left them in a much better position off field than when he started. His only real own goal was the appointment of Matthew Knights.

But it was at Melbourne he performed the real miracle. Getting them stable enough to actually win a flag was a master stroke.

If anyone is going to look into the club and ask difficult questions then I can't think of a better person than Peter Jackson

So he was there when they were good for 4 years then they went downhill the next 9 years he was there.
Have they ever struggled off field ?
Melbourne is probably a better example but they have one flag like us. They had financial hardship but years before he got there ,
I’m puzzled to be honest. Is he a football fixer or an admin fixer who cuts to the bone ( that’s the last thing we need ) if he is there to go through our admin and get it smoother and get better people in that’s good but I don’t want it to effect our football.
I think we had a bloke named Rose who went too far and the coach couldn’t do his job properly.

bornadog
13-11-2023, 08:49 PM
So he was there when they were good for 4 years then they went downhill the next 9 years he was there.
Have they ever struggled off field ?
Melbourne is probably a better example but they have one flag like us. They had financial hardship but years before he got there ,
I’m puzzled to be honest. Is he a football fixer or an admin fixer who cuts to the bone ( that’s the last thing we need ) if he is there to go through our admin and get it smoother and get better people in that’s good but I don’t want it to effect our football.
I think we had a bloke named Rose who went too far and the coach couldn’t do his job properly.

Rose saved the club from bankruptcy

ledge
13-11-2023, 09:17 PM
Rose saved the club from bankruptcy

It’s a strange one . Then again if he didn’t cut so deep we might have won a flag and that would have bought money to the club.
I think he cut that little bit too deep to be honest.

SonofScray
13-11-2023, 10:41 PM
Essendon people.

So long as he wipes his feet before coming into the club.

mjp
13-11-2023, 10:41 PM
I?m a bit worried . What did Peter Jackson do at Essendon as they have nothing to show from him being there.

Another set of eyes doesn't hurt.

The club's between the devil and the deep blue sea here...when it was all internal, they were criticised. Now they have sought a 3rd-party voice, they seem to be getting criticised...

ledge
13-11-2023, 11:10 PM
Another set of eyes doesn't hurt.

The club's between the devil and the deep blue sea here...when it was all internal, they were criticised. Now they have sought a 3rd-party voice, they seem to be getting criticised...

I’m all for a review , should be on going , but I just wonder how they pick who they pick , I mean this bloke comes from Essendon and he is presented as one of the best if not the best . It’s a bit of a Dodoro feel . Best of the best but results don’t actually show it.

Don’t get me wrong I hope he is great for the club and we get what we so dearly want.

mjp
13-11-2023, 11:25 PM
I’m all for a review , should be on going , but I just wonder how they pick who they pick , I mean this bloke comes from Essendon and he is presented as one of the best if not the best . It’s a bit of a Dodoro feel . Best of the best but results don’t actually show it.

Don’t get me wrong I hope he is great for the club and we get what we so dearly want.

I totally get where you're coming from mate...for me I guess it's just the fact they are now getting someone to 'review the review'...seems like a good move.

Jackson? Never met him, so whatever...but better someone than no-one. Surely now the internal go-round has been done, there's only so much that slipped through the cracks and still needs to be addressed??

bornadog
13-11-2023, 11:52 PM
It’s a strange one . Then again if he didn’t cut so deep we might have won a flag and that would have bought money to the club.
I think he cut that little bit too deep to be honest.

The club was almost bankrupt again.

bornadog
13-11-2023, 11:54 PM
I totally get where you're coming from mate...for me I guess it's just the fact they are now getting someone to 'review the review'...seems like a good move.

Jackson? Never met him, so whatever...but better someone than no-one. Surely now the internal go-round has been done, there's only so much that slipped through the cracks and still needs to be addressed??

He has an impressive CV

https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-jackson-34706146/?originalSubdomain=au

kruder
14-11-2023, 12:10 AM
Bizarre timing indeed but not unexpected with this current regime.

FrediKanoute
14-11-2023, 12:49 AM
Looks like that?s the end of Chris Grant.

Not sure it is. Why let Ameet and Granty carry out their stategy for the footy department and then stick the knife in Granty?

More likely there will be suggestions for them to implement structurally.

Vred
14-11-2023, 01:26 AM
Bizarre timing indeed but not unexpected with this current regime.

Timing is indeed bizarre, but, according to that HS article this external ''review'' is being pushed for hard by people of influence surrounding the club.

I would of preferred it the second our off season started but beggers can't be choosers.

Not sure what (if anything) would come of this, if PJ finds that Grant is the problem and recommends to the club to replace him, leaving it a little late aren't we? No change that he can recommend to the football department at this point would really have much of an effect on next season.

angelopetraglia
14-11-2023, 07:06 AM
“You don’t ask the barber if you need a haircut”

Famous saying. There will be plenty of reccomend changes. You could be perfect and consultants will always advocate for change. It’s their job. They are never going to say you don’t need a haircut.

So the timing is odd. We just appointed a stack of coaches and it’s very late to replace anyone. Also, wouldn’t our plans for the preseason and the season proper already be in the late stages of being finalised?

This review should have been implemented during September.

Hotdog60
14-11-2023, 07:44 AM
Could he have already been appointed early in the year and he is the result of the current round of changes we have seen?
It could be part of a two stage review, stage 1 give a list of recommendations and stage 2 come in and sign off we are going in the right direction and also to add further points if needed or he is now looking at a different area within the club.
The media may have missed stage 1 and the leak could be gone.

Stevo
14-11-2023, 10:31 AM
Timing is indeed bizarre, but, according to that HS article this external ''review'' is being pushed for hard by people of influence surrounding the club.

I would of preferred it the second our off season started but beggers can't be choosers.

Not sure what (if anything) would come of this, if PJ finds that Grant is the problem and recommends to the club to replace him, leaving it a little late aren't we? No change that he can recommend to the football department at this point would really have much of an effect on next season.

You cant really make big changes to the footy department without sacking the coach and even then history say most clubs would normally put in a number of band-aid solutions and address the bigger picture at the end of the season.
Weve implemented a number of changes to the football department and that planning would have started around mid season as contract discussions for some key football people like Smith and Inness wouldn't have been progressing.
After completing the football department restructure the club has moved on to the bigger picture of a club wide review and I doubt we could have started it earlier. Some internal pressures would have been at play that Watson-Wheeler needed to satisfy but the timing appears to be right from my perspective.

SquirrelGrip
14-11-2023, 10:45 AM
You cant really make big changes to the footy department without sacking the coach and even then history say most clubs would normally put in a number of band-aid solutions and address the bigger picture at the end of the season.
Weve implemented a number of changes to the football department and that planning would have started around mid season as contract discussions for some key football people like Smith and Inness wouldn't have been progressing.
After completing the football department restructure the club has moved on to the bigger picture of a club wide review and I doubt we could have started it earlier. Some internal pressures would have been at play that Watson-Wheeler needed to satisfy but the timing appears to be right from my perspective.

Yes the review is broader than just football operations.

With the significance and depth of these changes, combined with the exciting new football facilities arising from the transformational redevelopment of Whitten Oval, we now need to ensure these changes seamlessly translate into the operation of the most effective, integrated and high-performing AFL men’s program possible for our 2024 season.

With that mission in mind, Club CEO Ameet Bains will be undertaking an additional process of reviewing various aspects of the administration, operation and integration of the AFL men’s program, the program’s overarching environment and how the Club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success. This is an important step that will benefit the AFL men’s program, our players and our staff.

KWW mentions "integration" a number of times. I'm not sure I fully understand what this means in a practical sense. What makes the program more "integrated"?

Sedat
14-11-2023, 10:48 AM
?You don?t ask the barber if you need a haircut?

Famous saying. There will be plenty of reccomend changes. You could be perfect and consultants will always advocate for change. It?s their job. They are never going to say you don?t need a haircut.

So the timing is odd. We just appointed a stack of coaches and it?s very late to replace anyone. Also, wouldn?t our plans for the preseason and the season proper already be in the late stages of being finalised?

I'm in the better late than never camp. This external review should have been implemented immediately after the conclusion of our failed 2022 season, but the club insulted its members with a mickey mouse internal review without giving any clarity or information around the findings of this supposed review.

Our 2023 season was a disaster and I'm all for the club doing everything in its power to review all operations to get better and (more importantly) stay better. And some overdue visibility from our president is welcome. It is still the off-season and every day of this review is a new opportunity to bed down best structure/best practices - let's have a good look under the hood to see what is wrong, what is working and what needs to be done to challenge everyone inside the four walls to get better.

GVGjr
14-11-2023, 11:21 AM
I'm in the better late than never camp. This external review should have been implemented immediately after the conclusion of our failed 2022 season, but the club insulted its members with a mickey mouse internal review without giving any clarity or information around the findings of this supposed review.

Our 2023 season was a disaster and I'm all for the club doing everything in its power to review all operations to get better and (more importantly) stay better. And some overdue visibility from our president is welcome. It is still the off-season and every day of this review is a new opportunity to bed down best structure/best practices - let's have a good look under the hood to see what is wrong, what is working and what needs to be done to challenge everyone inside the four walls to get better.

I agree, There is a fine line between being knee-jerk and complacent with your reactions to under-performance and for what it's worth I think we've got the balance and the timing right. We made an error with our assessment of the playing list at the end of both the 2021 and 2022 seasons but we've addressed that now. I'll be in interested spectator on how this review is both conducted and communicated.

Jeanette54
14-11-2023, 11:48 AM
Surely the timing is questionable. One would expect that, with all the decisions already made off-season that this is rather shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Thus IMHO, the review can only achieve one of two things. It can pat management on the back for the changes already made, or it can threaten to destabilise the structure so recently established.

I am deeply suspicious of the management review process. Years ago, I was part of a group set up to recommend a course of action by a major company. I think we were all pretty happy to be given the responsibility, and the procedure was exhaustive. When the results were given, and proved contrary to managements desires, we were told go away and rework our recommendations so that they confirmed the decision management had already made. (WOFTAM).

Ruthless external reviews however, can be two-edged sword and should be implemented with caution, consideration and restraint.

azabob
14-11-2023, 01:49 PM
I am glad an external review is happening. Better late than never. Interesting it took pressure from the number one ticket holder to do it.

Did he threaten a board spill?

Topdog
14-11-2023, 02:35 PM
Better late than never but any outcomes of this review surely wont be to impact our 2024 season? It all feels a bit to late for 24.

GVGjr
14-11-2023, 03:15 PM
Better late than never but any outcomes of this review surely wont be to impact our 2024 season? It all feels a bit to late for 24.

It's a strategic review and I'd bet that some of the changes will be implemented quickly while others will take a bit longer.

bornadog
14-11-2023, 03:23 PM

The season is 4 and half months away

hujsh
14-11-2023, 03:34 PM

Would have to be more focused on the Grant/Baines side of things you'd think. Wrong guy to sit down and look over Bevo's shoulder.

May as well look at this stuff now to prepare to make any changes needed in 2024/5

Sedat
14-11-2023, 04:36 PM
I agree, There is a fine line between being knee-jerk and complacent with your reactions to under-performance and for what it's worth I think we've got the balance and the timing right. We made an error with our assessment of the playing list at the end of both the 2021 and 2022 seasons but we've addressed that now. I'll be in interested spectator on how this review is both conducted and communicated.
The West Coast game was an utterly shameful performance (Hawthorn the week before was not much better), and I think it tipped the scale over from a disappointing (if unlucky in patches) season to a disaster IMO. I think in the long run that shameful performance was the catalyst for meaningful self-reflection and change, which might not have occurred had we won and snuck into the finals. It was at least 12 months too late, but nonetheless very welcome to see the club being proactive and aggressive this off-season in their quest to get better and stay better as an elite sporting organisation with lofty ambitions.

The Doctor
14-11-2023, 07:07 PM
Message from KWW.

Club CEO Ameet Bains will be undertaking an additional process of reviewing various aspects of the administration, operation and integration of the AFL men?s program, the program?s overarching environment and how the Club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success. This is an important step that will benefit the AFL men?s program, our players and our staff.

At the conclusion of the AFL men?s season, the Club spoke of our ongoing process to identify improvements to the AFL program to underpin our future success. We started a process during the latter stages of the 2023 season and ramped up the day after our season?s conclusion.

I can't help but think the appointment of Jackson at this stage is due to disagreement among key stakeholders about the findings of the initial internal review. KWW says that the internal review started in the later stages of the season and 'ramped up' at the conclusion.

The season concluded two and a half months ago. Ample time to conduct a thorough review. Plenty of time to consider the findings.

Blind Freddie can see there has been a disconnection or two in the club since 2021. If I am right in assuming that I think it would be hard to get people to agree especially if fingers are being pointed. There were strong rumours of a power shift in the footy dept soon after the end of the season.

I therefore conclude that it was felt (probably at board level) that an independent set of eyes on the club was necessary.

This is just speculation on my part but having been in senior management positions over many years and had to wrestle key stakeholders, boards etc in past you can follow a trail of breadcrumbs easily enough.

Grantysghost
14-11-2023, 07:32 PM
I can't help but think the appointment of Jackson at this stage is due to disagreement among key stakeholders about the findings of the initial internal review. KWW says that the internal review started in the later stages of the season and 'ramped up' at the conclusion.

The season concluded two and a half months ago. Ample time to conduct a thorough review. Plenty of time to consider the findings.

Blind Freddie can see there has been a disconnection or two in the club since 2021. If I am right in assuming that I think it would be hard to get people to agree especially if fingers are being pointed. There were strong rumours of a power shift in the footy dept soon after the end of the season.

I therefore conclude that it was felt (probably at board level) that an independent set of eyes on the club was necessary.

This is just speculation on my part but having been in senior management positions over many years and had to wrestle key stakeholders, boards etc in past you can follow a trail of breadcrumbs easily enough.

Do you think there's a point where a faction might feel persecuted and leave?

Bevo can't be feeling super empowered right now. Not sure who would be on that ticket, maybe Darcy and a couple of others.

Bullies
14-11-2023, 07:39 PM
Would have to be more focused on the Grant/Baines side of things you'd think. Wrong guy to sit down and look over Bevo's shoulder.

May as well look at this stuff now to prepare to make any changes needed in 2024/5 Agree. It is overall a review of the clubs operations - what is working and what is not. The changes to the footy department ie: coaches etc have been done and now they can review the Operations and Administration. Something the majority wanted and now we are getting it.

WBFC4FFC
14-11-2023, 08:07 PM
I am glad an external review is happening. Better late than never. Interesting it took pressure from the number one ticket holder to do it.

Did he threaten a board spill?

My understanding of the #1 ticketholder is that he remains a massive fan of Bevo.

GVGjr
14-11-2023, 08:09 PM
The West Coast game was an utterly shameful performance (Hawthorn the week before was not much better), and I think it tipped the scale over from a disappointing (if unlucky in patches) season to a disaster IMO. I think in the long run that shameful performance was the catalyst for meaningful self-reflection and change, which might not have occurred had we won and snuck into the finals. It was at least 12 months too late, but nonetheless very welcome to see the club being proactive and aggressive this off-season in their quest to get better and stay better as an elite sporting organisation with lofty ambitions.

It's probably fair to assume that it wasn't until the wheels fell off late in the season that they club realised it needed to address the footy department set-up first and then ensure a more thorough review was conducted across the whole club.

jeemak
14-11-2023, 08:54 PM
?You don?t ask the barber if you need a haircut?

Famous saying. There will be plenty of reccomend changes. You could be perfect and consultants will always advocate for change. It?s their job. They are never going to say you don?t need a haircut.

So the timing is odd. We just appointed a stack of coaches and it?s very late to replace anyone. Also, wouldn?t our plans for the preseason and the season proper already be in the late stages of being finalised?

That's only because clients hate being given relatively good news more than they hate being given relatively bad news.

jeemak
14-11-2023, 08:58 PM
Does everyone flip their lids if one of the findings is we have poor depth and everything will have to go absolutely right to match it with the best sides?

josie
14-11-2023, 09:50 PM
Does everyone flip their lids if one of the findings is we have poor depth and everything will have to go absolutely right to match it with the best sides?

I’m guessing if that’s the belief within the clubs 4 walls and that’s unearthed in review then the findings would be along lines of we need to improve; drafting, MC, player development, cohesiveness and strategic planning across departments. Possibly also spending priorities.

jeemak
14-11-2023, 10:13 PM
I’m guessing if that’s the belief within the clubs 4 walls and that’s unearthed in review then the findings would be along lines of we need to improve; drafting, MC, player development, cohesiveness and strategic planning across departments. Possibly also spending priorities.

I'm guessing if it is the finding then it won't be made public!

To be honest I don't see what Jackson is going to find over and above (in the main) what is already known. His review will give some gravitas to the process, for sure, but unless you're in the thick of things during red time you don't really know how people, process and systems elements of operations interplay and affect results.

The reality is the time to review the operation was when the operation was failing. Retrospective reviews whilst handy can only uncover so much.

ledge
14-11-2023, 10:15 PM

I would be extremely surprised.

Vred
15-11-2023, 07:35 AM
Do you think there's a point where a faction might feel persecuted and leave?

Bevo can't be feeling super empowered right now. Not sure who would be on that ticket, maybe Darcy and a couple of others.

That faction would most likely be Grant & 1-2 board members who support him.

Grain of salt, but the internal review as I'm told focused very hard on Grant's running of the football department and not so much on Bevo, information I was passed was ''Grant was very lucky to keep his job after the internal review''.

Would not surprise me if he isn't running our football department by this time next year.

Danjul
15-11-2023, 01:25 PM
It's probably fair to assume that it wasn't until the wheels fell off late in the season that they club realised it needed to address the footy department set-up first and then ensure a more thorough review was conducted across the whole club.
Why wait until the wheels actually fell off? We only won 4 games in the last 11 (would have been worse but for Lobb single handedly thrashing Geelong seconds in the last game). The review could have started months ago. Will there be time to implement recommendations before next season begins?

The Doctor
15-11-2023, 01:50 PM
It has just been announced Andrew Westacott has been elected to the board. Big news. Could be a future President.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1465381/andrew-westacott-set-to-become-bulldogs-director

Former Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) Chief Executive Andrew Westacott is set to join the Western Bulldogs’ Board of Directors at the Club’s 2023 Annual General Meeting.

Westacott, an unabashed Bulldogs supporter whose father John played for Footscray in the 1950s, has developed an impeccable reputation as an outstanding administrator and leader over a long period of time, having led the growth of Australia’s Formula 1 and MotoGP events on the global stage for 12 years.

His impending addition to the Board as a member-elected Director will be ratified at the AGM on December 18.

“We’re thrilled to have Andrew join our Board in December. He has a strong passion for the red, white and blue, and is excited to play a key role in the future direction of our Club,” said Bulldogs’ President Kylie Watson-Wheeler.

“Andrew clearly has a strong skillset which will add significant value to our current Board, and we will welcome his knowledge and expertise.

“With Andrew’s addition to our Board, we can confirm that we won’t have an election at our AGM this year, which is a great sign of stability as we move into 2024.”

Director Jerril Rechter (AM), whose current tenure on the Board concludes at the end of 2023, has nominated for another term and will be re-elected unopposed. She has been a Director of the Bulldogs for the last six years, having been appointed in 2018.

“We’re also pleased to have Jerril nominate for another term as a Director. She has made a terrific impact across many areas of the Club during her time on the Board, and we’re excited to have her continue the strong work she is already doing.”

Rechter is also a Board member of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation and plays a key role in the governance of the Club’s AFLW football program.

She is currently Head of Business Development at The Walt Disney Company, and has previously held executive positions at Basketball Australia, VicHealth, Leadership Victoria, Melbourne International Festival of the Arts and the Footscray Community Arts Centre.

Rechter was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2020 for significant service to community health, sports administration and the arts.

Hotdog60
15-11-2023, 01:53 PM
It has just been announced Andrew Westacott has been elected to the board. Big news. Could be a future President.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1465381/andrew-westacott-set-to-become-bulldogs-director

Former Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) Chief Executive Andrew Westacott is set to join the Western Bulldogs’ Board of Directors at the Club’s 2023 Annual General Meeting.

Westacott, an unabashed Bulldogs supporter whose father John played for Footscray in the 1950s, has developed an impeccable reputation as an outstanding administrator and leader over a long period of time, having led the growth of Australia’s Formula 1 and MotoGP events on the global stage for 12 years.

His impending addition to the Board as a member-elected Director will be ratified at the AGM on December 18.

“We’re thrilled to have Andrew join our Board in December. He has a strong passion for the red, white and blue, and is excited to play a key role in the future direction of our Club,” said Bulldogs’ President Kylie Watson-Wheeler.

“Andrew clearly has a strong skillset which will add significant value to our current Board, and we will welcome his knowledge and expertise.

“With Andrew’s addition to our Board, we can confirm that we won’t have an election at our AGM this year, which is a great sign of stability as we move into 2024.”

Director Jerril Rechter (AM), whose current tenure on the Board concludes at the end of 2023, has nominated for another term and will be re-elected unopposed. She has been a Director of the Bulldogs for the last six years, having been appointed in 2018.

“We’re also pleased to have Jerril nominate for another term as a Director. She has made a terrific impact across many areas of the Club during her time on the Board, and we’re excited to have her continue the strong work she is already doing.”

Rechter is also a Board member of the Western Bulldogs Community Foundation and plays a key role in the governance of the Club’s AFLW football program.

She is currently Head of Business Development at The Walt Disney Company, and has previously held executive positions at Basketball Australia, VicHealth, Leadership Victoria, Melbourne International Festival of the Arts and the Footscray Community Arts Centre.

Rechter was made a Member of the Order of Australia in 2020 for significant service to community health, sports administration and the arts.

SNAP we need the time breakdown to seconds to see who got in first. :)

GVGjr
15-11-2023, 02:16 PM
Why wait until the wheels actually fell off? We only won 4 games in the last 11 (would have been worse but for Lobb single handedly thrashing Geelong seconds in the last game). The review could have started months ago. Will there be time to implement recommendations before next season begins?

They might have been in denial thinking that the previous review had identified some challenges and fixing those would be sufficient. When it became clearer that they needed another one especially when the wheels started falling off they've reacted quickly.

angelopetraglia
15-11-2023, 03:26 PM
That's only because clients hate being given relatively good news more than they hate being given relatively bad news.

That is not my experience. It is driven by incentives. Consultants always want more work. The Barber wants to cut more hair. How many people do a review and then take a job? Or get appointed to do more work to fix things? Way too often.

SonofScray
15-11-2023, 03:39 PM

Better late than never, hopefully being asleep at the wheel hasn’t cost us too much time.

GVGjr
15-11-2023, 03:49 PM
Better late than never, hopefully being asleep at the wheel hasn’t cost us too much time.

I think a lot of the moves we've made in the off season have fitted in nicely with your sharp axes thread.
The timing of these changes fits in nicely to have a fully focused club led by the footy department getting some early runs on the board.

It's not the sack Bevo theme, I wasn't a supporter of that view, but it's been comprehensive.

Eastdog
15-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Sounds like a great appointment with Andrew and hope he goes well. Just out of interest when did we get to vote in a board member at the club. Would we vote if there was a board spill? I believe someone a ticket needs to nominate.

WBFC4FFC
15-11-2023, 05:32 PM

Have heard recently that KWW might not be in the role for as long as what many may expect.

bornadog
15-11-2023, 06:07 PM
Have heard recently that KWW might not be in the role for as long as what many may expect.

Andrew would be ideal to takeover.

jeemak
15-11-2023, 09:25 PM
That is not my experience. It is driven by incentives. Consultants always want more work. The Barber wants to cut more hair. How many people do a review and then take a job? Or get appointed to do more work to fix things? Way too often.

My answer was tongue in cheek though definitely rings true from experience, and I absolutely agree with you that consultants are always wanting more work. Some provide value in the process, others don't.

macca
16-11-2023, 12:08 AM
If we had won 4 games that we choked , we would had finished top 4, with 16 wins.

The club is getting itself examined with this external review , restructred , streamlined and organised to have a big crack at another GF.
Weither some of the coaching changes Bevo asked or not or was told to take on , it be a statement by the club to support him to give us a crack at a GF bearth.
I was initally cynical on this , but I see the review as a good thing as long as the changes are implememted .

ledge
16-11-2023, 09:50 AM
If we had won 4 games that we choked , we would had finished top 4, with 16 wins.

The club is getting itself examined with this external review , restructred , streamlined and organised to have a big crack at another GF.
Weither some of the coaching changes Bevo asked or not or was told to take on , it be a statement by the club to support him to give us a crack at a GF bearth.
I was initally cynical on this , but I see the review as a good thing as long as the changes are implememted .

I’m confused how reviews aren’t done every year. Would think that’s a normal thing if you want to improve each year.
They do player reviews every year why not admin etc as well?

GVGjr
16-11-2023, 10:37 AM
I’m confused how reviews aren’t done every year. Would think that’s a normal thing if you want to improve each year.
They do player reviews every year why not admin etc as well?

Reviews are done regularly but major reviews that are done right the first time shouldn't need to happen that regularly.

hujsh
16-11-2023, 11:52 AM
KWW talking about the review (https://dcs.megaphone.fm/NTETP6082862245.mp3?key=15858ef28785a0517d0ff6f3cba124f6&request_event_id=e9b29507-7d0a-417f-807d-a616ce731c3e)

mjp
16-11-2023, 01:11 PM

Aren't we losing close games because something is clearly "broken"?

Things are never as bad as they seem but we are watching the club double down on the strategy off the 2022 off-season (couple of mature age recruits to add depth) and on-field evidence does not necessarily support this...

I'm with you I guess in that I don't think 'too much' is wrong. The problem I'm having is I have no idea what actually IS wrong...

Twodogs
16-11-2023, 01:46 PM
Things are never as bad as they seem
In football things are never as bad or good as they seem

Sedat
16-11-2023, 02:12 PM
I'm with you I guess in that I don't think 'too much' is wrong. The problem I'm having is I have no idea what actually IS wrong...
My concern is those 8 minutes of madness in the 3rd qtr of the 2021 GF has psychologically broken this playing group (and quite possibly the coaches as well), which is why only truly deplorable teams like West Coast and North are worse than us in terms of conceding 5+ goal run-ons in games over the last 2 years. We keep losing the same way over and over again.

It is a mystery that has not yet been solved by the players or the coaches, and it absolutely needs to if we are to contend in 2024 (as I firmly believe our talent levels demand that we should).

bornadog
16-11-2023, 02:30 PM
DOGS PRESIDENT REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO BEVERIDGE AMIDST FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT REVIEW (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/15/dogs-president-reaffirms-commitment-to-beveridge-amidst-football-department/)

Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler says that the club?s football department review isn?t focused on coach Luke Beveridge.

The club revealed on Monday that they were set to conduct a review of various aspects of the administration including the football department.

That review comes after all of Matt Egan, Daniel Pratt, Jarryn Geary and Alex Johnson joined the club in the off-season, replacing Travis Varcoe, Rohan Smith and Marc Webb, among others.

Given all of the new faces, Kane Cornes was one to suggest that the review had to be focused mainly on coach Luke Beveridge, who failed to take his side to the finals in 2023 after having his contract extended for two years before the start of the campaign.

Responding to those suggestions, Watson-Wheeler says the review won?t focus on individuals and instead simply on the department as a whole and its processes.

?Well, this is not a review of people, it's a review of the department and the processes,? Watson-Wheeler told SEN Whateley.

?It's to help us find those one percenters. It's not a personnel review.

?Clearly, we're committed to ?Bevo?, we've re-signed him.

?We believe that the changes that we've made at the end of the season will really in part help him get the best out of both him and the playing group in the year ahead.?

While the club endured a disappointing 2023 campaign, Watson-Wheeler says Beveridge is highly regarded at the Whitten Oval and they hope that the changes made to the football department in the off-season help him lead the club to a fruitful 2024.

?Bevo is really strongly and highly regarded within the club,? Watson-Wheeler added.

?The playing group is incredibly connected to each other and to him.

?We think that these changes that will really add robustness around him will really help him achieve success in the future.?

Watson-Wheeler also responded to suggestions that the club buckled to influential backers and powerbrokers by bringing in long-time AFL club executive Peter Jackson to assist in the review.

The President says that it was her and CEO Ameet Bains? call and only theirs to bring Jackson in to help conduct the process.

?No, that was absolutely mine and Ameet?s decision,? Watson-Wheeler said.

?Obviously, we work very closely together. We speak regularly, probably daily and from our perspective, we believe that this was the right thing to do for the club at this moment in time, given what we've already done.

?It was definitely our decision.?

Beveridge is currently contracted until the end of the 2025 season. He was handed a deal for 2024 and 2025 prior to the start of the 2023 campaign.

Full interview here (https://dcs.megaphone.fm/NTETP6082862245.mp3?key=15858ef28785a0517d0ff6f3cba124f6&request_event_id=e9b29507-7d0a-417f-807d-a616ce731c3e)

josie
16-11-2023, 02:53 PM
My concern is those 8 minutes of madness in the 3rd qtr of the 2021 GF has psychologically broken this playing group (and quite possibly the coaches as well), which is why only truly deplorable teams like West Coast and North are worse than us in terms of conceding 5+ goal run-ons in games over the last 2 years. We keep losing the same way over and over again.

It is a mystery that has not yet been solved by the players or the coaches, and it absolutely needs to if we are to contend in 2024 (as I firmly believe our talent levels demand that we should).

Perfectly encapsulates my main concern. Mental demons and lack of mongrel. Also an inflexible game plan, lack of speed & skill, at times questionable MC selection and poor depth.

azabob
16-11-2023, 02:59 PM
Perfectly encapsulates my main concern. Mental demons and lack of mongrel. Also an inflexible game plan, lack of speed & skill, at times questionable MC selection and poor depth.

Gee josie, do we have anything going our way!

Grantysghost
16-11-2023, 03:03 PM
DOGS PRESIDENT REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO BEVERIDGE AMIDST FOOTBALL DEPARTMENT REVIEW (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/11/15/dogs-president-reaffirms-commitment-to-beveridge-amidst-football-department/)

Western Bulldogs President Kylie Watson-Wheeler says that the club?s football department review isn?t focused on coach Luke Beveridge.

The club revealed on Monday that they were set to conduct a review of various aspects of the administration including the football department.

That review comes after all of Matt Egan, Daniel Pratt, Jarryn Geary and Alex Johnson joined the club in the off-season, replacing Travis Varcoe, Rohan Smith and Marc Webb, among others.

Given all of the new faces, Kane Cornes was one to suggest that the review had to be focused mainly on coach Luke Beveridge, who failed to take his side to the finals in 2023 after having his contract extended for two years before the start of the campaign.

Responding to those suggestions, Watson-Wheeler says the review won?t focus on individuals and instead simply on the department as a whole and its processes.

?Well, this is not a review of people, it's a review of the department and the processes,? Watson-Wheeler told SEN Whateley.

?It's to help us find those one percenters. It's not a personnel review.

?Clearly, we're committed to ?Bevo?, we've re-signed him.

?We believe that the changes that we've made at the end of the season will really in part help him get the best out of both him and the playing group in the year ahead.?

While the club endured a disappointing 2023 campaign, Watson-Wheeler says Beveridge is highly regarded at the Whitten Oval and they hope that the changes made to the football department in the off-season help him lead the club to a fruitful 2024.

?Bevo is really strongly and highly regarded within the club,? Watson-Wheeler added.

?The playing group is incredibly connected to each other and to him.

?We think that these changes that will really add robustness around him will really help him achieve success in the future.?

Watson-Wheeler also responded to suggestions that the club buckled to influential backers and powerbrokers by bringing in long-time AFL club executive Peter Jackson to assist in the review.

The President says that it was her and CEO Ameet Bains? call and only theirs to bring Jackson in to help conduct the process.

?No, that was absolutely mine and Ameet?s decision,? Watson-Wheeler said.

?Obviously, we work very closely together. We speak regularly, probably daily and from our perspective, we believe that this was the right thing to do for the club at this moment in time, given what we've already done.

?It was definitely our decision.?

Beveridge is currently contracted until the end of the 2025 season. He was handed a deal for 2024 and 2025 prior to the start of the 2023 campaign.

Full interview here (https://dcs.megaphone.fm/NTETP6082862245.mp3?key=15858ef28785a0517d0ff6f3cba124f6&request_event_id=e9b29507-7d0a-417f-807d-a616ce731c3e)

Bevo gone ;)

josie
16-11-2023, 03:07 PM
Gee josie, do we have anything going our way!

Yeah, I sound hyper critical!!

Best player in league, some guns or guns in making (Richards, L.Jones, Naughts, Weightman, Marra). A caring, people focused coach to whom players are loyal, finances turned around by some excellent management and a lack of hubris (unlike some nearby clubs). We can turn this around, I think we’ll know very early on in 2024 whether we are on the road to success.

bornadog
16-11-2023, 03:32 PM
I am really looking forward to 2024. New coaches, best facilities in AFL, new high performance team and a review of the operations and administration to make sure we operate efficiently. Top that off with new draftees, another preseason into young guns like JUH, O'Donnell, Darcy, etc, an invigorated Smith, Big Tim bigger and stronger and Bont leading the way again.

Go Dogs!!

GVGjr
16-11-2023, 04:03 PM
I am really looking forward to 2024. New coaches, best facilities in AFL, new high performance team and a review of the operations and administration to make sure we operate efficiently. Top that off with new draftees, another preseason into young guns like JUH, O'Donnell, Darcy, etc, an invigorated Smith, Big Tim bigger and stronger and Bont leading the way again.

Go Dogs!!

Fully agree, there are a heap of positives in front of us.

Doc26
16-11-2023, 08:27 PM
My understanding of the #1 ticketholder is that he remains a massive fan of Bevo.

I suspect this is Bevo and his supporters having input into the review of our football operations, and with an external in Peter Jackson coming in to make an assessment, and no doubt recommendations, does create a smoother pathway for the Board to exit a favourite son if necessary.

Go_Dogs
17-11-2023, 06:16 AM
I?m not across all the details but it seems to me:

We did an internal review of the footy department after the season
We also had a number of moving parts with coaches and support staff leaving
Based on that review and those vacancies we?ve made a number of key appointments
Footy department largely sorted
We?re now doing a broader internal review which will cover operations etc too
We?re getting some external eyes to support that internal review
I expect some of that will provide feedback on the rigor of the footy department internal review process (perhaps not the outcomes)

To me this is ok.

angelopetraglia
17-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Robbo: Will Bulldogs? review end in bloodshed? November 17, 2023 - 12:00PM Mark Robinson

Make no mistake, football club reviews always start with best intentions and mostly always end with somebody?s tears. The Bulldogs want to buck that trend ? but will they?

A rare event looks like being played out at the Western Bulldogs ? a review without bloodshed.

Of the senior club figures, football boss Chris Grant would appear to be under the most scrutiny because veteran administrator Peter Jackson?s review guidelines ? announced this week ? centre solely on the football department.

That?s Grant?s domain, but early indications suggest the review is not a headhunting exercise but instead a fact-finding expedition to improve the overall department.

The other senior figure, of course, is coach Luke Beveridge.

There?s also chief executive Ameet Bains.

Bains, who with Grant ran an internal review at season?s end which heralded in hefty change to the coaching group, is also conducting the ?external? review with Jackson.

And that would be a rare event wouldn?t it, a chief executive discovering in his second review that he wasn?t the right person to be running the club?

So, no, Bains isn?t going anywhere.

Speculation this week that Jackson had to be reviewing Beveridge?s future was just dribble.

Because if the Bains-Grant internal review fully supported Beveridge, it?s a million to one the Bains-Jackson external review would recommend the Dogs, in December, dispense with the coach.

Make that 10,000,000-1.

It won?t mean Beveridge, the Bulldogs? greatest achieving coach, will avoid examination.

President Kylie Watson-Wheeler?s job description was to review ?various aspects of the administration, operation and integration of the AFL men?s program, the program?s overarching environment and how the club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success??.

It?s real corporate speak.

To try to break it down, Grant is the ?operation?, Bains oversees the ?administration?, and presumably Grant, Bains and Beveridge all have a major role in the ?integration?, which is the bringing together of all footy divisions.

The ?environment? is about culture, leadership, communication and connections, the buzz words in any professional football club.

Plainly, the question is: Have we got a culture problem? Individually? Collectively?

Inspector Jackson will be all over it.

That Jackson is adding his expertise in administration and leadership is a positive step for the Bulldogs.

The timing is curious, however, if not bizarre.

Already, the Bulldogs have replaced a third of their football program staff and have appointed new assistant and development coaches, a new high performance boss named Daniel Duvnjak-Zaknich and a new chief medical officer, Dr Anthony Hipsley.

You can only assume the Dogs decided to wait until all those positions were filled before appointing Jackson, because we can reveal that Bains was leaning towards the hiring of an external consultant as far back as preliminary final weekend.

All football staff returned from holidays on Monday so, if we can guess, Jackson?s probing of the new guys would likely be their first impressions and previous opinions of the club.

And how they can best influence ?how the club best maximises the opportunities of on-field success??.

The Bulldogs cannot be accused of sitting on their hands.

Immediately in the post season, changes were made, and they pricked the perception that Beveridge maintained absolute power in the footy department.

The hammer blow came when Grant and Bains sacked assistant coach and club legend Rohan Smith.

Beveridge didn?t like his great mate being dumped.

Where football director Luke Darcy, a long-time teammate of Smith?s, sat with that decision is unknown. But Darcy is a fully-fledged Beveridge man.

The conflict over the Smith decision was serious or minor depending on who you listen to.

Some former Smith teammates (not working at the club) were at both ends of that spectrum.

What the strong-minded Beveridge thinks of the Jackson appointment is most important.

He could be either all-in on improving the program and sees Jackson as a weapon, or he might feel his authority is a touch challenged.

If it?s the latter, it wouldn?t surprise. Name a coach who isn?t strong-minded about their position and abilities, especially a premiership coach.

The prevailing view from the club, however, is it?s the former and Jackson is the final cog in improving processes and best practices as the club forges towards 2024.

Does that put the spotlight on Grant and Beveridge? Yes, but so it should because they are the two most influential heads in the footy department.

Jackson is well-respected at AFL headquarters, but it?s understood the AFL played no role in his appointment to the Bulldogs. It was a president/chief executive initiative.

The AFL had previously coerced Jackson to review an embattled Melbourne Football Club in 2013 before he became the club?s chief executive.

Before that, he was the premiership chief executive at Essendon (2000) and was the person who convinced coaching goliath Kevin Sheedy his time had come to an end.

He was also chairman of AFL Victoria for a period, and closer to home, worked with Simon Garlick when Garlick was appointed the Bulldogs CEO in 2010.

The Bulldogs did not apply a timeline to Jackson?s role.

A review without casualties is rare because traditional club reviews find fall guys.

In 2020, Carlton dispensed with coach David Teague and chief executive Cain Liddle as it embarked on an internal review.

David Noble did not survive a Geoff Walsh-led review at North Melbourne in 2022, and nor did Brett Ratten at St Kilda in the same season after he was reappointed.

The most savage overhaul was at Essendon at the end of 2022. Amid a boardroom coup, an internal and then a second external review run by Ernst & Young put the microscope on everyone at the club.

Departures included coach Ben Rutten and chief executive Xavier Campbell, former president Paul Brasher resigned and director Simon Madden joined him.

And the man who did the initial internal review, Josh Mahoney, also didn?t see out the long-term changes. He left for the AFL in August.

Who knows, there might be unintentional subterfuge at play at the Bulldogs, and the Jackson appointment might eventually lead to a casualty.

Because make no mistake, reviews always start with best intentions and mostly always end with somebody?s tears.

The Bulldogs might buck that trend.

MrMahatma
17-11-2023, 02:32 PM
It’s drivel, not dribble. Come on Robbo.

Grantysghost
17-11-2023, 02:39 PM

That article is both.

josie
17-11-2023, 03:40 PM

Dunno, isn’t his nickname Slobbo?

ledge
17-11-2023, 04:01 PM
Wow that was an article that went nowhere.
I guess he had nothing so had to write something.

angelopetraglia
17-11-2023, 04:14 PM
This line from my experiences is mostly always incorrect.

"Because make no mistake, reviews always start with best intentions and mostly always end with somebody's tears."

The tears part is correct. Best intentions is mostly wrong. Most people know what they want when they call for a review. It is just a means to an end. Only a foolish CEO/Chair would call for a review without a good idea of the outcome.

mjp
17-11-2023, 04:15 PM
I guess he had nothing so had to write something.

Yeah...I don't know. There's no outcomes (yet) but I guess he's just sort of talking out loud about some of the stuff we're probably all ruminating...

I agree it's a nothing article but at the same time a lot of 'stuff' about the review - internal, then with the late addition of Jackson as an outside voice - has been a little outside of the norm.

I have zero issues with what's going on and didn't mind Jackson coming in...at the same time I wondered:

"What is the end-game here"....

jeemak
17-11-2023, 04:17 PM

Give the footy department the all clear and put it on the players to be more accountable for their performances and lapses.

Axe Man
17-11-2023, 04:27 PM
I know it's cool on here to criticise everything that comes from the media but didn't think it was that bad an article.

GVGjr
17-11-2023, 04:32 PM
I know it's cool on here to criticise everything that comes from the media but didn't think it was that bad an article.

All looks good to me. Not sure why we tend to get so touchy with some articles or criticism.

ledge
17-11-2023, 04:57 PM
All looks good to me. Not sure why we tend to get so touchy with some articles or criticism.

Well this is the problem the article is confusing, one minute it’s a good thing then it’s a bad thing, just hedging his bets on whatever the outcome is.
I have no problem with criticism but is it or isn’t it ? Fence sitting, thus a nothing article that we all have no idea what’s going on exactly.
Filling in his space in the paper .

The Doctor
17-11-2023, 05:42 PM

Integration

That is the key word in our President's recent corporate speak.

There is clearly disconnection (or disintegration) in the footy dept. From the outside we can only speculate where within it is. Could it be a couple of powerful people with the best of intentions but with differing views on how to get there? There would also be negative spin offs from that affecting other people or procedures. Who knows? Do the players have too much say and so the tail wags the dog? Weve been hearing speculation about high profile players only wanting to play certain positions and lots of talk about cultural issues. It could be any number of things.

I think the appointment of Jackson is a big warning signal for some at the club. It will be interesting to see what recommendations become public and if there is any fall out. Whatever happens, the president wants "integration" and she is investing heavily to get it. I think we all want that.

josie
17-11-2023, 06:01 PM
Well this is the problem the article is confusing, one minute it?s a good thing then it?s a bad thing, just hedging his bets on whatever the outcome is.
I have no problem with criticism but is it or isn?t it ? Fence sitting, thus a nothing article that we all have no idea what?s going on exactly.
Filling in his space in the paper .

It?s Robbo-he writes kinda like he talks, rambling with occasionally some interesting thoughts. I thought it was an ok article. Some folks confused about what is in review scope which I thought Robbo clarified a bit better.

Grantysghost
17-11-2023, 07:54 PM
Reading Robinson I'm sure my IQ diminishes slightly every time.

What's his position if he's writing an opinion piece?

I have no idea what his position is? Considering it's an opinion piece I think he completely missed the mark and really didn't convey anything of use.

It was a statement of facts with a few jabs and the implication it will end in tears.

He uses comparative stories of coaches getting sacked, then says it's no chance of happening.... Um so how is the comparison relevant.

I didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

Twodogs
17-11-2023, 10:36 PM
This line from my experiences is mostly always incorrect.

"Because make no mistake, reviews always start with best intentions and mostly always end with somebody's tears."

The tears part is correct. Best intentions is mostly wrong. Most people know what they want when they call for a review. It is just a means to an end. Only a foolish CEO/Chair would call for a review without a good idea of the outcome

In Yes Minister sir Humphrey says that you should never call an enquiry without knowing what the outcome will be.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 01:07 AM
Reading Robinson I'm sure my IQ diminishes slightly every time.

What's his position if he's writing an opinion piece?

I have no idea what his position is? Considering it's an opinion piece I think he completely missed the mark and really didn't convey anything of use.

It was a statement of facts with a few jabs and the implication it will end in tears.

He uses comparative stories of coaches getting sacked, then says it's no chance of happening.... Um so how is the comparison relevant.

I didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

He also conveniently left out the most famous of reviews where a club was galvanised by its findings and won three of the next four Premierships after it landed.

The article is fine in terms of stuff being laid out, but what I don't get is the lack of acceptance of or confusion around something that doesn't fit the norm of what usually happens at a footy club.

If stuff isn't exactly how you want it to be there's always room to do something about it. I see it all the time with my clients, holding off from doing something or thinking things need to be done perfectly or not done at all. Don't let perfection get in the way of improvement.

I guess what I'm saying is the review conducted to date might not have been perfect, or exactly what we wanted it to be. That happens all the time, in fact more often than not, so it makes sense to do something about it now rather than not. Business operations are dynamic, people change etc. so just get into it when you can and improve as you can.

ledge
18-11-2023, 06:00 AM
Two clubs had reviews kept their coach and went on to win multiple flags.
Geelong and Richmond.
It doesn’t always end in tears.

angelopetraglia
18-11-2023, 09:58 AM
Two clubs had reviews kept their coach and went on to win multiple flags.
Geelong and Richmond.
It doesn?t always end in tears.

To be fair. He said it ends in somebody's tears. Which it normally does.

In the 2006 Geelong Football review. Several key personnel lost their jobs with assistant coach Andy Lovell making way for Brenton Sanderson and Paul Haines and Dean Robinson taking over the Cats' high-performance department. Garry Davidson also lost his job as football operations boss (Even though Cook, who called for the review wanted to retain him in the job), with Neil Balme taking over the top football job.

In the 2016 Richmond Football review. A broom went through the coaching panel. Assistant coaches Ross Smith and Greg Mellor, along with senior development coach Mark Williams, were not offered new contracts for 2017. It paved the way for the return of former assistants Justin Leppitsch as forwards coach and Craig McRae as VFL and development coach. Neil Balme was lured back to the club as general manager (football), releasing Richardson to become the general manager of football talent. Balme?s return was a huge plus.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 10:05 AM
AP you're right, but the article read/ implied one of the big dogs in Bevo, Grant or Bains would get it in the neck if it ended in tears.

azabob
18-11-2023, 11:10 AM
AP you're right, but the article read/ implied one of the big dogs in Bevo, Grant or Bains would get it in the neck if it ended in tears.

jee, I'm worried you are picking up what slobbo is putting down.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 11:36 AM
jee, I'm worried you are picking up what slobbo is putting down.

I didn't work all week so I'm picking apart a few different things I guess.

azabob
18-11-2023, 12:11 PM
I didn't work all week so I'm picking apart a few different things I guess.

That would also explain how you are across the whole love triangle of SEN, The Age and CH9. Which I find mildly amusing as you dislike all of them with a passion.

I hope the time off was leave and not you being crook!

jeemak
18-11-2023, 12:44 PM
That would also explain how you are across the whole love triangle of SEN, The Age and CH9. Which I find mildly amusing as you dislike all of them with a passion.

I hope the time off was leave and not you being crook!

Redundancy! Walked in Monday morning, walked out about thirty minutes later.........

As for the syndicated football media, as I despise most of it I have to keep a bit of an eye out for developments, so I can avoid using my eyes on it.

Keeping an eye on it so I know what not to look at.

ledge
18-11-2023, 12:49 PM
Redundancy! Walked in Monday morning, walked out about thirty minutes later.........

As for the syndicated football media, as I despise most of it I have to keep a bit of an eye out for developments, so I can avoid using my eyes on it.

Sad to hear you lost your job . I’ve been made redundant 3 times in my life it can be scary. I’m actually hoping to get made redundant now as it will bring my retirement forward.
Good Luck in finding another job and may it be one you love doing.

azabob
18-11-2023, 12:53 PM

Damn. That sucks big time. Stay positive mate. Let me know if I can somehow help!

Topdog
18-11-2023, 12:53 PM
Ah the good old redundancy bus, whenever I want it they keep me on, whenever I dont.... Good luck with it all jeemak

jeemak
18-11-2023, 01:03 PM
Sad to hear you lost your job . I’ve been made redundant 3 times in my life it can be scary. I’m actually hoping to get made redundant now as it will bring my retirement forward.
Good Luck in finding another job and may it be one you love doing.

Thanks Ledge! First time for me, was a relief if I'm honest, needed a circuit breaker from work controlling me.

Best of luck in your career ambitions!

jeemak
18-11-2023, 01:04 PM
Damn. That sucks big time. Stay positive mate. Let me know if I can somehow help!

Thanks Az, it's fine. I'll start getting nervous around the time we're hopefully not one and four.........

jeemak
18-11-2023, 01:06 PM
Ah the good old redundancy bus, whenever I want it they keep me on, whenever I dont.... Good luck with it all jeemak

Yeah this is the first time out of three where it's been a chance and I wasn't sure I wanted it. The other times I definitely did but the bastards kept me toiling!

Bit of a tricky time with the Christmas break coming but I'll be OK, need a break and something new.

mjp
18-11-2023, 02:54 PM
Bit of a tricky time with the Christmas break coming but I'll be OK, need a break and something new.

Hopefully Christmas gives you a great reset mate...

There's jobs galore over here and the sun's always shining!!

bornadog
18-11-2023, 03:01 PM

Bummer. Will you stay in the same industry or look outside.

Good Luck with the search

Bulldog4life
18-11-2023, 03:58 PM
Thanks Ledge! First time for me, was a relief if I'm honest, needed a circuit breaker from work controlling me.

Best of luck in your career ambitions!

Best of luck Jee glad you are looking at the positive side.

jeemak
19-11-2023, 02:09 AM
Hopefully Christmas gives you a great reset mate...

There's jobs galore over here and the sun's always shining!!

Thanks MJP.

I did happen to do a stint of landscaping in Perth in 2008 to help out a mate with a new baby at the height of the mining boom. That was enough for me, as all the good labour had gone to the mines and what remained just wanted to talk about Asians and tax rather than shoveling cubic metres of aggregate.

But if I get desperate I'll head over and look you up! You can help get me into the shape I used to be in.

jeemak
19-11-2023, 02:12 AM
Bummer. Will you stay in the same industry or look outside.

Good Luck with the search

Thanks BAD. I think I have supply chain and logistics in the blood, but after five years of full on consulting and managing teams/ projects/ project teams and being the prancing horse all the time because of the charge out rate I need a break.

We'll see how it goes, I have some feelers out now and am pretty positive about how things will play out.......for now. :)

jeemak
19-11-2023, 02:19 AM
Best of luck Jee glad you are looking at the positive side.

Thanks Pops.

I had tenure working to my advantage, a colleague on the same level wasn't as lucky and he didn't have the leave I had. So with Christmas/ NY breaks he's under the pump a bit more than I am.

If you've been under extreme mental/ emotional stress for a few years while feeling trapped because the work is actually shit hot you have to see these things in a positive light if the circumstances allow it once you're out of it (you can make a lot of excuses for how you feel about work if the work is actually really good). It's not that I'm not nervous about what the future might bring, rather, just taking a moment to think clearly and plan.

azabob
19-11-2023, 08:18 AM
Thanks BAD. I think I have supply chain and logistics in the blood, but after five years of full on consulting and managing teams/ projects/ project teams and being the prancing horse all the time because of the charge out rate I need a break.

We'll see how it goes, I have some feelers out now and am pretty positive about how things will play out.......for now. :)

Mate, plenty of Supply Chain manager jobs going. Maybe have a look if you haven’t and who knows you may score something now and start in the new year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-11-2023, 08:29 AM
Hi Jee,

I don't have any profunduties or insights about your situation, other than to reiterate what others have said about their own redundancy experiences.

I was kinda blindsided by one 21 years ago. It ultimately turned out to be the catalyst for a really positive career change that, in hindsight, I desperately needed.

The in between transition period can be fertile reflection time too if there's no immediate imperative to find work immediately.
Good luck with the next work chapter Jee. You'll nail it, whatever it is. In the meantime, hopefully your extra free time enables you to reserve some more time for worthy activities such as posting here; EW needs taking down a peg, a whole peg!

Other than, hope you're alright, sing out if there is anything people on WOOF can do anything.

Grantysghost
19-11-2023, 08:41 AM
Hi Jee,

I don't have any profunduties or insights about your situation, other than to reiterate what others have said about their own redundancy experiences.

I was kinda blindsided by one 21 years ago. It ultimately turned out to be the catalyst for a really positive career change that, in hindsight, I desperately needed.

The in between transition period can be fertile reflection time too if there's no immediate imperative to find work immediately.
Good luck with the next work chapter Jee. You'll nail it, whatever it is. In the meantime, hopefully your extra free time enables you to reserve some more time for worthy activities such as posting here; EW needs taking down a peg, a whole peg!

Other than, hope you're alright, sing out if there is anything people on WOOF can do anything.

Yep totally back this up, sorry to hear Jee hope you at least got a nice payout.

Good luck for the future job wise

GVGjr
19-11-2023, 08:59 AM

Geez, chuck in Inventory Management and it's like reading my professional journey. There seems to be plenty of jobs going at the moment at least the recruiting agencies think so. Most jobs are found through your network so I'm sure you will do well Jee.

The Doctor
19-11-2023, 09:35 AM

Have been through 3 redundancies in my career. Each one led to much better and brighter opportunities. Wishing the same for you Jee.

EasternWest
19-11-2023, 10:35 AM

Too much WOOF shitposting.

mjp
19-11-2023, 12:21 PM
Thanks MJP.

I did happen to do a stint of landscaping in Perth in 2008 to help out a mate with a new baby at the height of the mining boom. That was enough for me, as all the good labour had gone to the mines and what remained just wanted to talk about Asians and tax rather than shoveling cubic metres of aggregate.

But if I get desperate I'll head over and look you up! You can help get me into the shape I used to be in.

To be fair, people seem to want to blame the African youth (country of origin and personal circumstances largely irrelevant) rather than people of Asian origin these days.

Aside from that, nothing ever changes here...it's like being transported back to 1982 with the exception that every second person both earns a fortune (mines) and has 1 week off out of every 2.

Come to sunny WA.

Bulldog4life
19-11-2023, 02:12 PM
Thanks Pops.

I had tenure working to my advantage, a colleague on the same level wasn't as lucky and he didn't have the leave I had. So with Christmas/ NY breaks he's under the pump a bit more than I am.

If you've been under extreme mental/ emotional stress for a few years while feeling trapped because the work is actually shit hot you have to see these things in a positive light if the circumstances allow it once you're out of it (you can make a lot of excuses for how you feel about work if the work is actually really good). It's not that I'm not nervous about what the future might bring, rather, just taking a moment to think clearly and plan.

You are a very positive doggie supporter Jee having read all your posts. That's how I know you will be fine. You can have a great holiday in Central Qld on the coast which won't break your budget either to re- vitalize yourself. Beautiful weather and great beaches.

Twodogs
19-11-2023, 09:58 PM

At least you got to fit the cup day holiday in.

I notice at the end of Border Security they advertise for staff to work at the Customs counter. If I was 10-15 years younger I'd be tempted myself. Good pay, shift allowances and discount travel (I assume)

bornadog
19-11-2023, 10:01 PM
At least you got to fit the cup day holiday in.

I notice at the end of Border Security they advertise for staff to work at the Customs counter. If I was 10-15 years younger I'd be tempted myself. Good pay, shift allowances and discount travel (I assume)

Friend of mine retired early this year from being a graphic designer, and was home for about 6 months got bored and took up a part time job as a baggage handler.

Twodogs
19-11-2023, 10:05 PM
Friend of mine retired early this year from being a graphic designer, and was home for about 6 months got bored and took up a part time job as a baggage handler.

A guy I play indoor soccer and handball with started working as a baggage handler about 12 months ago.

soupman
19-11-2023, 10:24 PM

I've always thought that job looks incredibly tedious. No chance for any real fun interaction, just seeing a shitload of tired people in a never ending queue, and then going through their bags to find some lame wooden souvenir.

Twodogs
19-11-2023, 10:39 PM
I've always thought that job looks incredibly tedious. No chance for any real fun interaction, just seeing a shitload of tired people in a never ending queue, and then going through their bags to find some lame wooden souvenir.

And the pocketfulls of party fun you'd gather?

"From this one shipment alone we recovered five kilos, sorry I'm being corrected, that is we recovered four kilos of high grade cocaine "

Daughter of the West
19-11-2023, 11:54 PM

Sorry to hear that Jee, here's hoping that it's onward and upward from here for you!

Unfortunately I'm another that's been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

Grantysghost
16-01-2024, 09:13 AM
We heard anything out of PJ yet?

ledge
16-01-2024, 10:04 AM
We heard anything out of PJ yet?

Quoting a very good film
“All quiet on the western front “ it seems.

SPower
21-01-2024, 04:31 PM
Like all members I would also like to hear the outcome of the PJ review.

However , a review always contains confidential or sensitive information as per normal, so I am doubtful we will hear any negative aspects resulting in recommendations or observations that require addressing.

bornadog
21-01-2024, 04:35 PM
Like all members I would also like to hear the outcome of the PJ review.

However , a review always contains confidential or sensitive information as per normal, so I am doubtful we will hear any negative aspects resulting in recommendations or observations that require addressing.

I don't think it will be exciting stuff, just administration, procedural and other opps efficiencies

ShibbyUp
25-01-2024, 05:21 PM
As you are aware, we?ve been working to identify improvements that will underpin our great Club?s future success.

In November last year, the Club appointed experienced football administrator Peter Jackson to work with Club CEO Ameet Bains in reviewing various aspects of the Club?s administration, operation and integration of the AFL men?s program, the program?s overarching environment and how the Club can best maximise the opportunities of on-field success.

The six-week review involved discussions with around 50 people within the Club and other senior football people within the AFL industry.

Pleasingly, the review highlighted many positive elements of our AFL men?s program, including the benefits of the transformational new facility, along with the culture that underpins our department.

The review also reaffirmed the positive impact of off-season changes to the program ? which included welcoming eight new players and close to 30% new full-time staff ? and the strong contribution our new personnel are already making.

Ultimately, the review highlighted that we have what we need to set us up for success, but it?s a matter of having things in the right place and leveraged in the most effective way.

Recommendations focused on building success in four key areas:

Structure of the Department;
Culture and environment;
Coaching roles and responsibilities;
Development and education.

Based on the report?s findings, the Club will undertake the following:

Create a new role of General Manager Football Operations that will have operational responsibility for the performance aspects of the men?s program including coaching, physical performance, player welfare and football operations;
Matt Egan has been promoted to this new role. Matt will continue to report directly to Chris Grant, the Club?s Executive Director of Football, as will the list management, medical and football administration functions;
Chris maintains his role as head of the Department, assuming a more elevated focus on executive leadership, strategy and innovation, with high-level management and oversight of both our men?s and women?s programs;
Appoint a GM of Women?s Football to have operational responsibility of the women?s program. This recruitment process is already under way;
Implement a clearer demarcation of reporting lines, roles and responsibilities to ensure individuals are better placed to focus on their specific areas, particularly within the coaching structure;
Assume a renewed focus on both player and staff development and education;
Implement a suite of initiatives to enhance connection and collaboration across the Department and Club more broadly.

We thank Peter Jackson for his valuable assistance and sharing of insight and counsel to the benefit of our Club overall.

We now look forward to completing pre-season training ahead of what we hope to be an exciting 2024 season.

Go Dogs.

ShibbyUp
25-01-2024, 05:22 PM
So basically, give the new bloke a pay rise and new title and hope for the best.

Grantysghost
25-01-2024, 05:26 PM
So basically, give the new bloke a pay rise and new title and hope for the best.
Hmm. Yeah if you're creating a new role, you probably should be going through a process to see if you get a pool of people who apply to choose from.

Will someone be filling Egan's now vacant Coaching and Performance Manager role? Or has that been eaten up by the new GMFO. I think the latter reading the responsibilities.

jeemak
25-01-2024, 05:33 PM
They've put a buffer between Bevo and Grant, and removed Grant further from football operations matters.

bornadog
25-01-2024, 05:39 PM

You to re-read if that is what you take out of it.

ledge
25-01-2024, 06:11 PM
Good to see we didn’t come out as a dogs breakfast.
Just some fine tuning and updating.
I would be worried if nothing needed to be done.

angelopetraglia
25-01-2024, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a solid plan to me. Clear reporting lines. Better clarity around roles. Improved delegation. Hopefully should free Bevo up to just coach.

Sounds similar to what happened post the Mark Thompson and then also Dimma review with the addition of Neil Balme role.

jeemak
25-01-2024, 07:07 PM
I just hope Kane Cornes is happy with the recommendations. His stress levels have been through the roof and it's just not fair on him.

Dazza
25-01-2024, 07:14 PM
Reading between the lines Bevo has shouldered too much responsibility. Whether that's his own doing or not remains to be seen.

GVGjr
25-01-2024, 07:18 PM
Reading between the lines Bevo has shouldered too much responsibility. Whether that's his own doing or not remains to be seen.

For sure he has, the cutbacks to staff and with some difficult conditions last year with training etc would have challenging.
They've also identified that the loss of Chris Maple has been a problem and they have rectified that now.

ledge
25-01-2024, 07:18 PM

Been a problem with our club for years, not just when Bevo was coach.
I believe we had Terry Wallace doing to much as well.

azabob
25-01-2024, 07:54 PM
I just hope Kane Cornes is happy with the recommendations. His stress levels have been through the roof and it's just not fair on him.

I?m disappointed you went with the correct spelling of his name.

He did a four minute bit saying how Rory Lobb is a failed recruit because he won?t play in our senior team in 2024.

How did he come to this conclusion you ask? It?s a good question? and the answer is? GVGjr let David King into his tent when the club had a match simulation and King tweeted something like Darcy dominating up forward, Naughton playing higher up.
Nothing was said about Lobb?but the takeaway was Lobb to play VFL in 2024.

hujsh
25-01-2024, 07:54 PM
Have we lost half a coach with this Egan move? I assume so but maybe not if the role change has already been made and training reports have mentioned his drill where Darcy beats up on Smith

dog town
25-01-2024, 08:14 PM

Short of the report directly criticising the coach he was never going to be satisfied with what was released.

jeemak
25-01-2024, 08:46 PM
I?m disappointed you went with the correct spelling of his name.

He did a four minute bit saying how Rory Lobb is a failed recruit because he won?t play in our senior team in 2024.

How did he come to this conclusion you ask? It?s a good question? and the answer is? GVGjr let David King into his tent when the club had a match simulation and King tweeted something like Darcy dominating up forward, Naughton playing higher up.
Nothing was said about Lobb?but the takeaway was Lobb to play VFL in 2024.

Something popped up in my FB feed on that, I read it in passing.

There's no way of telling for sure, especially not via this forum, but I think Lobb was only given three years but dickhead said it was four. On big money apparently.

As for his name, I think I've settled on a new one for him............

GVGjr
25-01-2024, 09:10 PM
Is anyone actually surprised that the Saints and Dogs make these sorts of announcements before a public holiday or weekend?

MrMahatma
25-01-2024, 09:30 PM
Is anyone actually surprised that the Saints and Dogs make these sorts of announcements before a public holiday or weekend?

Quite of lot of other news to bury it. Tax cuts. Cyclones. Change-the-date. Australian of the year. Test cricket. Aussie Open.

It’s certainly not timed for prime cut through.

MrMahatma
25-01-2024, 09:31 PM
On reading it, I thought it was positive.

With the new coaches and the new facilities, we have to be better this year.

ledge
25-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Quite of lot of other news to bury it. Tax cuts. Cyclones. Change-the-date. Australian of the year. Test cricket. Aussie Open.

It’s certainly not timed for prime cut through.

Cornes has let himself down here, he will get a call from the AFL for not coming up with an outrageous story to overshadow all of it.

FrediKanoute
26-01-2024, 12:58 AM

Well maybe its that simple, but I think its more a statement that structurally the club is in sync on the right track. I minor tweak is all that is required.

What this really means is that the issue in performance lies lower down the chain - coaching and conditioning. The finding in many ways removes the axe from the upper levels and puts it fairly and square on the coaches and players.

Vred
26-01-2024, 01:54 AM
Reading between the lines it sounds like they're transitioning to a less of a 'Grant' run program.
Replacement coach for his role is a 100% must, just giving him a payrise and moving him on up is not good enough if it leaves a hole under him. Always seems like we have less coaches than other teams anyway.

Mavericks
26-01-2024, 07:27 AM
Happy with the change, reporting lines and resposnsibilies are transparent. Bevo accountable to Egan. Egan appears a good operator. Look forward to a successful 2024

Dogstyler
26-01-2024, 09:35 AM
Encouraged by the report.
Getting someone with experience in a successful program like Egan into GM of footy role was the most important appointment/adjustment we had to make.
Appears we may be a little light on coaches but Geary/Johnson might get more opportunities.
No excuses this year for Bevo, has to deliver or he?ll be goneski.

dog town
26-01-2024, 10:56 AM
Sam Edmund speculating on SEN this morning that the review wasn’t flattering towards Chris Grant.

I find the Luke Beveridge discourse interesting in regards to the speculation over him trying to control the footy department and blurring roles. He goes out of his way to acknowledge other coaches and staff almost to the point of tedium which doesn’t mean he isn’t the control freak that is speculated but it makes it harder to believe.

He is also clearly exceptionally loyal to his coaches and generally that’s been returned with the exception of post 2021 when our guys were in high demand. It doesn’t seem to scream that we have a really unhealthy balance in the coaching department.

I dare say if you conducted an external review at all clubs they would find some alignment issues so I see this as potentially a really positive change, a chance for people to give their views and adapt to the new structure.

GVGjr
26-01-2024, 11:09 AM
A lot of our challenges stem from not replacing Chris Maple and that does fall on Grant.
I think we've got a better structure, better facility and a healthy and better list.
We are good to go.

jeemak
26-01-2024, 11:32 AM
Sam Edmund speculating on SEN this morning that the review wasn?t flattering towards Chris Grant.

I find the Luke Beveridge discourse interesting in regards to the speculation over him trying to control the footy department and blurring roles. He goes out of his way to acknowledge other coaches and staff almost to the point of tedium which doesn?t mean he isn?t the control freak that is speculated but it makes it harder to believe.

He is also clearly exceptionally loyal to his coaches and generally that?s been returned with the exception of post 2021 when our guys were in high demand. It doesn?t seem to scream that we have a really unhealthy balance in the coaching department.

I dare say if you conducted an external review at all clubs they would find some alignment issues so I see this as potentially a really positive change, a chance for people to give their views and adapt to the new structure.

Many around here have had question marks on Grant and those further up the chain for a while. As for Bevo, he's been made to be highly visible by the club and he's the easiest target - though how much of that is on him I'm not sure.

I have heard second hand information via the corporate side of the club that Bevo is control thirsty. Perhaps we are where we are because the likes of Grant haven't been strict enough with good governance (and that's a failing), and that's meant that someone as control thirsty as Bevo has been left well overburdened when resources were thinned out, experienced coaches have left, and our facility was being renovated.

Hopefully accountabilities are clear and everyone can get on with things to the best of their abilities.

Grantysghost
26-01-2024, 11:51 AM
Many around here have had question marks on Grant and those further up the chain for a while. As for Bevo, he's been made to be highly visible by the club and he's the easiest target - though how much of that is on him I'm not sure.

I have heard second hand information via the corporate side of the club that Bevo is control thirsty. Perhaps we are where we are because the likes of Grant haven't been strict enough with good governance (and that's a failing), and that's meant that someone as control thirsty as Bevo has been left well overburdened when resources were thinned out, experienced coaches have left, and our facility was being renovated.

Hopefully accountabilities are clear and everyone can get on with things to the best of their abilities.
This makes a lot of sense DrJ.

Leadership voids are filled by the ambitious, the power hungry, control freaks etc.

You need good frameworks in place to ensure there are clear roles and responsibilities and to segment and fence off leeching by people into other areas.

dog town
26-01-2024, 11:52 AM

Appreciate the insight. That?s another contradiction in that he was the most vocal about footy department cuts.

Then you have Stkilda who are seemingly leaning into the coach controlling all aspects of the club.

jeemak
26-01-2024, 11:59 AM
Appreciate the insight. That?s another contradiction in that he was the most vocal about footy department cuts.

Then you have Stkilda who are seemingly leaning into the coach controlling all aspects of the club.

The model can probably work as long as the coach has sufficient resources at their disposal that are OK with it. It's when the resources thin out or new ones come in where things might go awry.

Axe Man
29-01-2024, 05:20 PM
WHY REPORTED DOCKERS TARGET BEVERIDGE IS THE WEEKEND?S BIG WINNER
(https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/01/28/why-reported-dockers-target-beveridge-is-the-weekends-big-winner/)
Kane Cornes has anointed Luke Beveridge as the big winner from the weekend just gone.

Cornes came to that conclusion following the findings from the Western Bulldogs? internal review coming to light.

While the club made some changes after the review with Matthew Egan appointed to the new role of GM of Football Operations and Chris Grant moving into an Executive Director of Football role, Beveridge was seemingly spared any real scrutiny.

On top of escaping the internal review without blame, Beveridge has now been linked to Fremantle with a report in The West Australian stating that the Dockers are keen to poach the Bulldogs coach if Justin Longmuir is sacked during the 2024 season.

Cornes believes this interest gives Beveridge leverage at the Bulldogs again and is in a great bargaining position despite the side disappointingly missing out on playing finals in 2023.

?My weekend winner is Luke Beveridge. He survives the external review,? Cornes said on SEN Breakfast.

?It looks as though they've overlooked all of the flaws - the inability to stop momentum, not maximizing the list, the selection issues that he's had, the run-ons that he can't stop.

?All the blame has been lumped onto Chris Grant, clearly.

?Not only that, we now have a report in The West Australian is reporting that the Dockers are going to target Luke Beveridge as their next coach.

?Meaning that Beveridge once again has significant leverage - just as he did when he got that two-year contract extension after the Saints sacked Brett Ratten. They thought, ?Oh, the Saints might go and get him. Let?s give him an extension?. One they didn?t need to give him.

?He's got leverage. What a weekend for Luke Beveridge. I thought he was a significant winner.?

SEN news breaker Sam Edmund wouldn?t be shocked if the Dockers do go after Beveridge with the report suggesting Fremantle won?t extend Longmuir if the team doesn?t look like a finals chance early in the year.

Edmund even went as far as to suggest he expects Longmuir to be sacked and says he?d go after Beveridge if he were the Dockers if that situation played out.

?You know where I sit with this,? Edmund said.

?It wouldn't be a surprise at all. I've always said, and I?ve always thought that Luke Beveridge can coach.

?He's an excellent coach. Now, eventually, your time's up, everyone's time expires.

?That doesn't mean you're lost to the game forever, and we've had to put our flags in the ground over our predictions for the year ? and my admittedly bold prediction is that Justin Longmuir doesn't survive.

?If that does happen, they're going to be looking for a new coach and I'd definitely be looking at Luke Beveridge.?

The 2016 premiership coach is currently contracted until the end of the 2025 season.

jeemak
29-01-2024, 05:34 PM
Dickhead has serious shit on his liver, doesn't he. His lack of relevance to our coach and club is really grating on him.

hujsh
29-01-2024, 06:11 PM
Wait, he's terrible, full of deficiencies, but Freo would be doing well to poach him?

ledge
29-01-2024, 06:54 PM
About giving Bevo leverage is true though.
Puts pressure on us to sign him earlier if we want him to stay.

JanLorMill
29-01-2024, 07:20 PM
About giving Bevo leverage is true though.
Puts pressure on us to sign him earlier if we want him to stay.
Sign him early again? We extended him early for 2 more years last year for 24/25? If we miss finals again, Freo can have him, if we have a great year we still have him for another year.

Grantysghost
29-01-2024, 08:04 PM
Probably best to ignore Vol Kano.

He just wants a reaction, any reaction.

ledge
29-01-2024, 10:48 PM
Sign him early again? We extended him early for 2 more years last year for 24/25? If we miss finals again, Freo can have him, if we have a great year we still have him for another year.
Sorry thought this was his last year.
See how we got the first 6 months I guess, if we are going shit we can do a deal with Freo to let him go a year early and not have to pay him out .

Vred
30-01-2024, 02:46 AM
I'd like to think that we've learned the lesson of last season by re-signing Bevo early and rewarding him for a terrible season (22/23 have been stinkers) - If he remained unsigned up until the Eagles / Hawks loss last year, would you really re-sign him? I know I wouldn't, but instead he already had another +2 in place from the start of the season.

The only two people who haven't changed in our football department in the last 3 years is Grant and Bevo, and honestly, if this year is another mediocre barely-top-8 finish or miss-finals completely? I'd be changing those two.

Can Bar
30-01-2024, 08:46 AM
Kano clearly has been gunning for Bevos head, once again no mention of our Senior Assistant coach. Somehow he escapes any accountability or scrutiny. Mates helping mates

GVGjr
30-01-2024, 08:52 AM
Kano clearly has been gunning for Bevos head, once again no mention of our Senior Assistant coach. Somehow he escapes any accountability or scrutiny. Mates helping mates

I doubt many in the media point the finger at an assistant coach and that is likely to be done more by supporters with a good understanding of the workings of the club. I'm not sure that we have any real problem and Lade appears to be a good senior assistant from what I've seen. We've had a few changes to the assistant coaches and it was probably needed but the buck does stop with Beveridge if we don't perform to a good finals position this year.

doggies ftw
30-01-2024, 09:53 AM

Assume you're talking about Lade? That?s a weird one to pick out - we were shit before he got here, can?t really blame him for not turning around the club singlehandedly

GVGjr
30-01-2024, 10:02 AM
Assume you're talking about Lade? That?s a weird one to pick out - we were shit before he got here, can?t really blame him for not turning around the club singlehandedly

It appears that some of our members are questioning our approach to the more limited midfield rotations last year and are pointing the finger at Lade. I'm not sure that it's as simple as that but we've addressed that somewhat with a trade for Harmes and to a lesser extent the Bramble acquisition and of course stumping up a bit of draft collateral to get Sanders too the club so even with losing Smith we have a few more options than last year.
We probably tried a different approach last year but with more options now there will could be a modification to the approach in 2024

Mantis
30-01-2024, 10:50 AM

We were in a GF the year before he arrived so I'm not sure we were ''shit'' as you described.

doggies ftw
30-01-2024, 11:57 AM
We were in a GF the year before he arrived so I'm not sure we were ''shit'' as you described.

He arrived at the end of the ?22 season, in which the ship had already well and truly sunk since the highs of ?21.

We continued on that downwards trajectory in ?23 - I?m not particularly huge on Lade, he?s very experienced but also hasn?t really been in successful environments to be honest, felt like a bit of a ?best we could get at short notice? hire from the outside - but I don?t think we can place much blame at his feet for a poor season when it was just a continuation of the previous season in which he wasn?t involved in.

bornadog
30-01-2024, 01:09 PM
very experienced but also hasn?t really been in successful environments to be honest, felt like a bit of a ?best we could get at short notice?

I don't agree with this statement

For starters, Lade is a Premiership player. as for coaching career:

From Wiki

Lade immediately joined Richmond Football Club to become the ruck coach, joining former Port Adelaide teammate Damien Hardwick, Richmond's senior coach.[1] He later became the midfield stoppage coach,[2] and held this position until the end of 2016, after which he returned to Port Adelaide as an assistant coach for the 2017 AFL season. At the end of the 2018 season, Lade returned to Melbourne to become the senior assistant coach for St Kilda Football Club after two seasons as an assistant with Port Adelaide. During the 2022 season, Lade temporarily stepped into the senior coaching chair with St Kilda senior coach Brett Ratten missing due to COVID, leading the Saints to a win over Gold Coast in Round 5.

We know Richmond went on to win 3 Premierships after he left in 2016, but he played a major part in developing the rucks and midfield. 2017 Port played finals. His stint at Saints didn't see much success from 2018-2022, although they played finals in 2020.

Overall, I think Lade has been in some successful teams as player and coach.

kickit2Koly
30-01-2024, 02:18 PM

Maybe a little of both. The club has a history of giving to much responsibility to the head coach. From memory we did the samthing with Eade after his first year as well.

ledge
30-01-2024, 03:36 PM
Maybe a little of both. The club has a history of giving to much responsibility to the head coach. From memory we did the samthing with Eade after his first year as well.

And Wallace.

doggies ftw
30-01-2024, 05:53 PM
I don't agree with this statement

For starters, Lade is a Premiership player. as for coaching career:

From Wiki

We know Richmond went on to win 3 Premierships after he left in 2016, but he played a major part in developing the rucks and midfield. 2017 Port played finals. His stint at Saints didn't see much success from 2018-2022, although they played finals in 2020.

Overall, I think Lade has been in some successful teams as player and coach.

That’s fair BAD, I was probably exaggerating a touch for a dramatic effect �� he’s of course surely had some positive effect to successful environments considering he’s been around so long. But I just meant he hasn’t necessarily come from super successful environments like Bevo coming out of the Hawks 3peat, or the new handful of coaches coming directly out of Richmond’s success. But you’re right he probably did have some input on the Richmond years even if he wasn’t there directly during the premierships

bornadog
30-01-2024, 06:25 PM
That’s fair BAD, I was probably exaggerating a touch for a dramatic effect �� he’s of course surely had some positive effect to successful environments considering he’s been around so long. But I just meant he hasn’t necessarily come from super successful environments like Bevo coming out of the Hawks 3peat, or the new handful of coaches coming directly out of Richmond’s success. But you’re right he probably did have some input on the Richmond years even if he wasn’t there directly during the premierships
No worries.

for what its worth, I have previously questioned whether the change in the way our mids played last year, plus Macrae not attending centre bounces was down to him. We went from the best centre clearance team to mid range, plus Macrae had his worst year since year one.

macca
30-01-2024, 07:03 PM
I agree with Macrae assessment. I am not convinced he was played to his strengths. The mad 2 way running by the pies and hanging in games was something we utterly lacked.
All these changes made and yet no kicking kicking coach ?

GVGjr
30-01-2024, 07:06 PM
I agree with Macrae assessment. I am not convinced he was played to his strengths. The mad 2 way running by the pies and hanging in games was something we utterly lacked.
All these changes made and yet no kicking kicking coach ?

Brad Johnson is the kicking coach Macca. I think he's down at the club once per week.

Can Bar
30-01-2024, 07:51 PM
I doubt many in the media point the finger at an assistant coach and that is likely to be done more by supporters with a good understanding of the workings of the club. I'm not sure that we have any real problem and Lade appears to be a good senior assistant from what I've seen. We've had a few changes to the assistant coaches and it was probably needed but the buck does stop with Beveridge if we don't perform to a good finals position this year.

I am not being critical of Lade, have not heard anything negative or positive for that matter. I just feel Kano has been alot more critical of bevo since Lade arrived. I have listened to him for a long time now, I understand he is in the opinion business, just think their is a bit more motivating him to be critical of bevo. almost implying anyone could coach the want for nothing bulldogs

angelopetraglia
09-02-2024, 09:25 AM
‘Frayed relationship’: Report claims tensions at Dogs between Bevo and footy boss

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge reportedly has a “frayed” relationship with executive director of football Chris Grant ahead of a defining season.

Beveridge is contracted until the end of 2025 but enters the 2024 season expected to lead a club rebound after missing the finals.

The Dogs’ struggles in 2023 led to a review of the football department, which resulted in some role changes in a bid to maximise performance and cohesion in 2024.

Nine News’ Braden Ingram said on Thursday the relationship between Beveridge and Grant had been a casualty of a difficult year, which included the decision to part ways with long-time employee Rohan Smith despite Beveridge’s opposition.

“I can tell you tonight the relationship between head of football Chris Grant and Luke Beveridge has been strained,” Ingram said.

“It’s well known Beveridge wanted to keep departed assistant Rohan Smith last year, but Grant and CEO Ameet Bains had a different view, this contributed to the frayed relationship.

“After employing Matthew Egan from Geelong as coaching performance manager, the Dogs promoted him just months later to general manager of footy ops following a review into the football department, meaning basically Beveridge doesn’t report directly to Grant but instead Egan.”

Ingram noted the arrangement was “highly unusual” in the eyes of several other clubs, barring St Kilda where Ross Lyon reports to club president Andrew Bassat.

“The Dogs say the change was made to ease the workload on Grant, but it’s fair to say the relationship between the two men is no longer the strongest,” Ingram said.

Link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2024-ryley-sanders-western-bulldogs-debut-looms-hunter-clark-cops-knock-melbourne-selection-preseason-updates-track-watch/news-story/8f0017417f717a0519474b89a39e6146?recommendedCount=0

Grantysghost
09-02-2024, 09:27 AM
Gawd.

meenies
09-02-2024, 09:44 AM
Not necessarily new news on this forum.

ledge
09-02-2024, 02:38 PM
Couldn’t find a new story obviously .
Next is the blow out of Wallace and the club.
I like the statement about no other club does it this way implying it’s wrong.
How about well that’s a move to a changing landscape.
I hope we win the flag now just to show that change isn’t always bad.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-02-2024, 02:42 PM
"Ingram noted the arrangement was ?highly unusual? in the eyes of several other clubs, barring St Kilda where Ross Lyon reports to club president Andrew Bassat."

Which arrangement is this referring to? The new or the old? I would think the old given the reference to Lyon.

angelopetraglia
09-02-2024, 02:51 PM
"Ingram noted the arrangement was ?highly unusual? in the eyes of several other clubs, barring St Kilda where Ross Lyon reports to club president Andrew Bassat."

Which arrangement is this referring to? The new or the old? I would think the old given the reference to Lyon.

Ross Lyon reporting direclty to the President is one of the more bizarre things I have ever heard.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 02:54 PM
This reeks a bit of a captain obvious conclusion from my perspective.

I'm of a firm belief that the club has under performed and I know many others on here don't share that view.
I also make allowances for the impact training at Skinner and in a make-shift gym and a highly compromised facility would have on the playing groups results last year and I also know that is out of sync with many other views on here.

I actually want the senior people in the footy department to be challenging each other on how to fast track a return to a more competitive performance during the season providing it's done in a positive way.
Grant and Bevo are highly paid footy executives and it appears both have taken a bit of a hit in terms of losing some control and that seems fair enough to me given the results. I expect professionals like them to work it out and I'm sure they will.

As for the reporting lines mentioned in the news report. I'm pretty sure Bevo reported to Chris Maple except for last year where he reported to Chris Grant and installing Matt Egan into the GM role is a return a well tried and true set-up that we had going back to when Graham Lowe was the GM for Footy.

The report last night is more based on an emotional slant than reality from what I'm seeing.

mjp
09-02-2024, 03:11 PM
As for the reporting lines mentioned in the news report. I'm pretty sure Bevo reported to Chris Maple except for last year where he reported to Chris Grant and installing Matt Egan into the GM role is a return a well tried and true set-up that we had going back to when Graham Lowe was the GM for Footy.

Aren't reporting lines always "spiders webs" though?

We're talking about an organisation where lots of people have (valid) opinions and we want them expressed...whether Bevo reports to Grant or Ameet or Egan...it's all semantics. As long as they are ultimately pulling the boat in the same direction, who cares...I'm pretty sure there is more than enough work to go around.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 03:23 PM
Aren't reporting lines always "spiders webs" though?

We're talking about an organisation where lots of people have (valid) opinions and we want them expressed...whether Bevo reports to Grant or Ameet or Egan...it's all semantics. As long as they are ultimately pulling the boat in the same direction, who cares...I'm pretty sure there is more than enough work to go around.

That's why I feel the news report is more based on emotion than fact. Since Bevo's been at the club he's always reported to the GM of Footy role not the director except for last year and the club fixed that mistake. There needs to be some tension within the footy department when a club doesn't quite meet it's potential and I think there were some telling reasons why last year we fell short of the mark.

jeemak
09-02-2024, 03:38 PM
Reporting lines when it comes to the senior coach are often murky, in many cases the senior coach has more pull than their manager.

Uninformed
09-02-2024, 05:57 PM
It seems this may be an unpopular view, but I think the power focus at a footy club should be firmly with the coach. Not the CEO, Footy boss or board. Certainly not behind outside consultants.

The board needs to fully understand that a clubs mission statement is contained completely in four words 'Win games of football."
No pages of DEI crap, just those four words.

The key to winning is getting the right coach and providing the support he needs in assistant coaches, conditioning, medical, recruitment and admin. staff.

The board, CEO and other admin roles should be to provide an environment where things hum along in support of the coach as the pivot of power.

Why the coach? Because the coalface in the pursuit of wins is the coach, the assistants and the players. The senior person at the coalface in pursuit of winning is the coach, so everything should pivot around the coach.

If you are not getting the wins, first step is to see which areas around the coach need improving, the list, the conditioning, medical assistants etc. based on the coaches view.

If you are still not getting the wins/premierships you might then consider a new coach. This would be the one occasion where the Board would be the power centre and obviously not the coach. Otherwise the Bored, (couldn't resist) managers and the like should do their admin stuff efficiently and just raise funds to support the coaches and players.

And the fans should restrict themselves to the only thing they can do to help with the mission in going along and cheering like mad and putting every ounce of positive energy they have behind the coaches and players that we have.

SonofScray
09-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Not really news is it?

They’ve packaged up a handful of facts, review happened, reporting lines have changed and Egan now sits in a role between Bevo and Grant. Then, they’ve added the pinch of drama to make it news worthy.

Countrydog5
09-02-2024, 10:29 PM
I just hope Beveridge goes back to his 2015/16 ways and laughs this report off as rubbish, rather than taking it to heart and becoming defensive/aggressive like he has been in recent years towards the press. We need a calm and reassured Bevo this year, otherwise I fear the pressure of performance may start to grind him down.

jeemak
11-02-2024, 09:59 PM
I just hope Beveridge goes back to his 2015/16 ways and laughs this report off as rubbish, rather than taking it to heart and becoming defensive/aggressive like he has been in recent years towards the press. We need a calm and reassured Bevo this year, otherwise I fear the pressure of performance may start to grind him down.

He's asked for support, gotten it, so hopefully he can concentrate on being the best coach he can be.

There's a lot of cuts and bruises (some self-inflicted) he needs to put behind him, and he needs to be able to let the likes of Egan and the other people in coaching and support positions get on with it without feeling the need to be in complete control of everything in the footy department.

If he's as intelligent and emotionally intelligent as he thinks he is and has demonstrated he can be, then he has a chance to prove himself as a league leader.

Axe Man
12-02-2024, 11:12 AM
Kane won't let it go...

?WHERE?S BEVO?: WHY IS ONE AFL SENIOR COACH ABSENT FROM THE PUBLIC SPHERE THIS PRE-SEASON? (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/11/wheres-bevo-why-is-one-afl-senior-coach-absent-from-the-public-sphere-this/?mc_cid=be39d31826&mc_eid=6577acd30c)

Kane Cornes has one big question coming out of the AFL off-season: Where?s Bevo?

This summer has been a tumultuous one at Whitten Oval, with assistant coaches turned over, key players out of contract and a review into the club?s football department ultimately easing the workload on head of football Chris Grant.

It has also been reported that Grant and Beveridge have a frayed relationship.

Despite all of this, Cornes feels Beveridge has been absent from the public sphere while other coaches in the AFL have fronted up to speak to their fans.

?I want to ask if there?s more than goes into coaching than just coaching the team, because there?s one coach in particular that I think has gone missing publicly this off-season,? the Power great told SEN Breakfast.

?What is the responsibility for a coach like Luke Beveridge to front up more and be more accessible to the media and therefore the club?s fans?

?There?s been a lot of change at the Western Bulldogs, they?ve just completed the review, we haven?t really heard from anyone, in particular Beveridge, since Chris Grant has essentially been demoted.

?There?s been stories about tension between them, they?re in the lowest two to three clubs in terms of supporter bases in Melbourne and I think we need to hear from him more.

?He?s essentially been invisible this summer, Bevo. I?m calling it ?Where?s Bevo??

?Compare it to other coaches this off-season. Chris Fagan will be live in studio with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson tomorrow. Michael Voss has done an extended interview with AFL Media. Justin Longmuir, do you think he wants to front up, he?s done a lot of media in Perth, Damien Hardwick?s done the same, Adam Kingsley?s been everywhere.

?I don?t reckon Sam Mitchell would have really wanted to document his serious illness in New York, but he did that with The Age. Ken Hinkley probably didn?t want to turn up after going out in straight sets last year, but he was on SEN last week. Simon Goodwin the same, he came into SEN and did a big sit-down interview, Ross Lyon, John Longmire was with us last week on SEN.

?Adam Simpson has won five games in two years and fronts up almost weekly in Perth and Luke Beveridge is missing.

?What?s the responsibility on the coach to actually accept the media requests and talk publicly about the issues going on at the footy club??

bornadog
12-02-2024, 12:03 PM
Every year he has an article on Bevo - not sure what his problem is

Happy Days
12-02-2024, 12:04 PM
When Poochie is off screen, all the other characters should be asking “where’s Poochie?”

ledge
12-02-2024, 12:26 PM
Well he has to come up with something every week.
I guess he was lying in bed the other night thinking “ I haven’t seen Bevo lately that’s my next story”
If it was Hinkley he would be congratulating him on the fact he isn’t listening to outside noise and getting on with his job of coaching.
Another thing is have the media asked him for an interview?
Seems Kane hasn’t bought up Bevo refusing to take interviews.

hujsh
12-02-2024, 12:45 PM
It's probably a good thing to have Bevo out of the media for a bit. I'd rather his efforts be focused elsewhere and his tendency to get annoyed and start beef with reporters isn't a distraction we really benefit from. It's not like reporters are the same as fans so he's not 'avoiding accountability' or whatever Kane thinks, he's just avoiding the media which of course pisses off people like Kane because he has to stretch a bit harder to make content gruel.

Uninformed
12-02-2024, 01:45 PM
First.. it was Bevo takes on too much and has too much say at the club. He needs support, has to learn to delegate so he can just focus on coaching.

Now.. Bevo needs to take on responsibility for fan engagement and membership and waste everyone's time blathering on with focus group tested media friendly lines to the media idiots without ever daring to confront the clowns with their own bad behaviour.

Access to training and the WOOF reports is much more useful for fan engagement.

Grantysghost
12-02-2024, 01:48 PM
He won't let the crack about not wanting to sleep next to him rest.
Marry that with Minson's sledge and he's got a chip.

He constantly says we've got a stacked list in order to put more pressure on Bevo.

MrMahatma
12-02-2024, 02:26 PM
Meh... whatever.

While we haven't heard from Bevo, the content coming from the club has been engaging and enjoyable to watch. It's still very much pre-season. I'm 100% fine with Bevo just coaching.

bornadog
12-02-2024, 02:30 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I haven't anything from any coaches, except, Dimma talking about new game plan and the changes he has made, and Hinkley talking about Josh Carr taking over from him.

Has any one heard from the other 15 coaches?

MrMahatma
12-02-2024, 03:28 PM
Maybe it is just me, but I haven't anything from any coaches, except, Dimma talking about new game plan and the changes he has made, and Hinkley talking about Josh Carr taking over from him.

There are other coaches? There are other teams?

ShibbyUp
12-02-2024, 03:53 PM

Longmire was on the radio last week but yeah, it's not like they're all out running weekly press conferences at this point.

GVGjr
12-02-2024, 05:35 PM
First.. it was Bevo takes on too much and has too much say at the club. He needs support, has to learn to delegate so he can just focus on coaching.

Now.. Bevo needs to take on responsibility for fan engagement and membership and waste everyone's time blathering on with focus group tested media friendly lines to the media idiots without ever daring to confront the clowns with their own bad behaviour.

Access to training and the WOOF reports is much more useful for fan engagement.

There is a lovely lady who attends training most sessions. A couple of weeks prior to Xmas she had a fall and dislocated her shoulder. Over the last couple of years just about every session Bevo goes and sees her and genuinely inquires about her welfare and gives her a hug and he's not just going through the motions.
Today he was going through her medications with her and asking about how well she was sleeping.

He's very invested in our supporters and it's a shame we can't get a few more and even some from the media down to training to see that side of him.

Uninformed
12-02-2024, 10:37 PM
There is a lovely lady who attends training most sessions. A couple of weeks prior to Xmas she had a fall and dislocated her shoulder. Over the last couple of years just about every session Bevo goes and sees her and genuinely inquires about her welfare and gives her a hug and he's not just going through the motions.
Today he was going through her medications with her and asking about how well she was sleeping.

He's very invested in our supporters and it's a shame we can't get a few more and even some from the media down to training to see that side of him.

Thanks for posting that Gary. It is a great story and insight into Bevo the man. It backs up what I have always thought he was like.

Early days he would be standing outside Footscray train station doing membership promotions. I wanted to speak with him some time back and rang the club to arrange it. They said come to training any time and he always makes the effort to talk with supporters afterwards. They said he is very approachable and happy to give his time. Circumstances changed and I never made it, but it was apparent that he was very considerate of supporters.

Can Bar
13-02-2024, 07:16 AM
I would actually like to hear from Bevo, not so much about the bulldogs, more so to respond to Kano or perhaps he is waiting for the right time to shoot him down. 3 wins early in the season will shut him up. Looking forward to callers challenging him when this happens.

dog town
13-02-2024, 10:04 AM
I would actually like to hear from Bevo, not so much about the bulldogs, more so to respond to Kano or perhaps he is waiting for the right time to shoot him down. 3 wins early in the season will shut him up. Looking forward to callers challenging him when this happens.

I am a Bevo fan but the above is exactly what I don't want to see. He is a smart man and lets himself down by crossing swords with some of the media types. He doesn't need to waste time and energy on it and it's a battle he can't win anyway.

I actually think it's been a distraction at times having 3-4 of the highest profile media personalities in Melbourne in personal spats with him.

There is a time to stick up for players and the club but most of the time he just needs to cop it on the chin. I don't think the balance has been right in recent times.

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 10:16 AM
Where does our media manager and maybe the CEO sit given we seem to have a negative position with some of the media?
It can't just all fall on Bevo. As a club are we doing our best or at least making a serious effort to get a more positive media view on our 2024 prospects?

dog town
13-02-2024, 10:34 AM
Where does our media manager and maybe the CEO sit given we seem to have a negative position with some of the media?
It can't just all fall on Bevo. As a club are we doing our best or at least making a serious effort to get a more positive media view on our 2024 prospects?

If we wanted to win back some positive reviews I think we could lean into his strengths more. Some of his long form interviews (very rare) and press conferences that stay on track have been incredibly insightful and passionate. He always gives you something in those forums if we could channel that somehow it’s going to be much more effective than clapping back at every negative view that comes from media land.

Critter
13-02-2024, 12:28 PM
I think that responding to the likes of Kane Cornes is a waste of time. Cornes is a mono-dimensional commentator who feeds off controversy. He is on the air every day as an opinion peddler. His particular shtick is to generate content for his program by stirring up controversy. If that means creating it, so be it. It's easier and takes less intellect than old-fashioned journalism.

The most effective way for Luke Beveridge to address criticisms of him is to win games. That will make us, the club and its supporters, happier and will send Kane Cornes scurrying rabbit holes elsewhere on his search for relevance.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-02-2024, 03:10 PM
Yeah, no amount of talk should fool anyone from our club. I get there's a time to do it, but it's not now for us.

We need to be hell bent on starting the season well. That'll do more for positivity than puff pieces.

Rocco Jones
13-02-2024, 03:18 PM
I am a Bevo fan but the above is exactly what I don't want to see. He is a smart man and lets himself down by crossing swords with some of the media types. He doesn't need to waste time and energy on it and it's a battle he can't win anyway.

I actually think it's been a distraction at times having 3-4 of the highest profile media personalities in Melbourne in personal spats with him.

There is a time to stick up for players and the club but most of the time he just needs to cop it on the chin. I don't think the balance has been right in recent times.

100% with you.

Bevo is a very smart guy who doesn't get the whole 'hill to die on' thing.

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 03:25 PM
From AFL.com (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1076015/summer-of-change-western-bulldogs-ceo-ameet-bains-backs-luke-beveridge-chris-grant-to-deliver-after-reports-of-tension)

WESTERN Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains believes Luke Beveridge has the tools at his disposal to rebound in 2024, dismissing any concerns regarding the relationship between the senior coach and executive director of football, Chris Grant, following a dramatic off-season overhaul at the Whitten Oval.

While Gold Coast, North Melbourne and Geelong all made significant alterations to their coaching panels at the end of last season, no club made more meaningful manoeuvres than the Bulldogs.

Bains helped lead the changes at the end of his sixth season in the role, along with Grant, following a season where the Dogs started as a premiership contender before missing out on September.

Matt Egan (coaching and performance manager), Daniel Pratt (backline coach), former St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary (leadership and development coach), and Alex Johnson (development coach) all joined the club, along with Daniel Duvnjak-Zaknich as fitness boss and favourite son Brad Johnson as a consultant.

The club made those changes across September and October before appointing former Essendon and Melbourne CEO Peter Jackson to undertake an external review of the football operations.

Jackson conducted a six-week process across the summer with the former Essendon and Melbourne CEO and AFL life member interviewing several players on the list, current coaches, football department staff and members of the club's board and executive.

Egan was subsequently promoted to a newly created role of general manager of football operations at the end of January, reporting into Grant, who remains as executive director of football. The coaching team, including Beveridge, now report into Egan, along with the high performance department, welfare and the football operations.

The departures and role changes have been a point of intrigue from afar across the off-season and pre-season, but Bains refuted any suggestion that Beveridge and Grant have fallen out since the club made the decision to move on from assistant coach Rohan Smith and embark on significant personnel changes.

"Any suggestion there is an unworkable breakdown in any relationships, including that of Chris and Luke, is frankly incorrect, as is any suggestion that role changes have been made on this basis," Bains said.

"Chris and Luke have worked together for a very long time and together, along with others, have presided over the most successful on-field period in the club's history. This couldn't happen without a strong and productive relationship.

"The club was obviously disappointed with how the 2023 season ended and the process undertaken is well-documented. Within that process there are natural tension points across our football program and the club has worked through that over the summer in making the change we feel will deliver us success.

"To be clear, Chris remains our executive director of football, remains ultimately responsible for our men's program and, as such, remains a critical leader of our footballing ambitions. The elevation of his focus into more macro areas like leadership, strategy and innovation reflects our need to better prioritise these areas, while also acknowledging the breadth of his previous remit was objectively too large.

"By promoting Matt Egan's role, it allows the program to now have someone exclusively focused on the operational and performance aspects of the program. Matt still reports into Chris and, ultimately, we think this is a structure that will allow our program to be at its best."

Recent reviews at St Kilda (Brett Ratten), Essendon (Ben Rutten), North Melbourne (David Noble) and Carlton (David Teague) have resulted in bloodshed, but Bains said the external review endorsed the off-season football department changes and recommended some role adjustments (Egan and Grant) and additions (a general manager of women's football), while outlining culture, department structure, roles and responsibilities and player and staff development as the areas to focus on moving forward.

"Unlike other reviews, ours wasn't just an external review, as we looked at things in depth internally in the immediate aftermath of the season. Significant change came prior to Peter's review. Had Peter suggested further material change then we would have confronted that and responded accordingly," Bains told AFL.com.au on the Bulldogs' pre-season camp in Mooloolaba earlier this month.

"Peter's main brief was looking at how we do things and the environment and culture around that. His feedback was really positive around the personnel that have come on board, both from their capability point of view but also culturally. There is no better illustration of that than Matt Egan, who in less than a three-month period has assumed more responsibility on the back of what he's shown in conjunction with what Peter's review suggested."

While only club icon Ted Whitten (225 games) has coached more games for the club than Beveridge (194), no one has led the Bulldogs to more wins (109), more finals wins (seven) or more Grand Final appearances (two) than the coach currently in charge. Charlie Sutton is the only other premiership coach.

But despite that imposing record, which includes the 2021 Grand Final loss to Melbourne in Perth, and despite being contracted until the end of 2025, Beveridge will start the 2024 season under the microscope following two consecutive seasons without a win in September. That is the nature of the beast. Adam Simpson at West Coast, Justin Longmuir at Fremantle and Ken Hinkley at Port Adelaide are all in a similar boat.

Bains said the internal and external reviews reconfirmed the club's belief that Beveridge is the best coach to lead the club back towards the promised land, with the coaching changes – both in and out – made to benefit the 53-year-old.

"The club's view hasn't changed that Luke Beveridge is the right coach. The process of the end of year internal review reinforced that," he said.

"The major reasons behind that remain a belief in his capability as the coach of the football club from all the key people, but most importantly, the faith and belief that the playing group and the football department staff have in him as our senior coach.

"Ultimately, all the changes that we made are designed to not only bring out the best in the program but to do what strong clubs do, and that is to support their people in the best way possible. That is obviously of utmost importance for our most senior people, the coaching being one of those. We feel as part of the decisions we made, the club is better supporting the program and Luke personally to be the best he can be."

A COMPLETE AFLW RENOVATION

It isn't just the men's program in Footscray that has undergone a well-documented renovation since the end of last season; the women's program is in the middle of being entirely revamped, following the departure of St Kilda great Nathan Burke in November after the Dogs finished 1-9 in 2023 to claim the AFLW wooden spoon.

Former North Melbourne coach Dani Laidley is being considered for the senior coaching vacancy after putting her hand up for a return to the game. Laidley coached the Kangaroos 149 times between 2003 and 2009, before stints as an assistant coach at Port Adelaide, St Kilda and Essendon.

Bains said the club is currently at various stages of interviewing candidates and is aiming to appoint a senior coach within the next week, as well as a general manager of women's football and player welfare manager within the next month.

"We have been in the market for all three roles and have been delighted with the calibre of candidates interested in joining our club," he said. "It would be unfair to talk through the coaching candidates publicly, but that's well progressed and we are in the very final stage of that process.

"Interviews will commence for the GM of women's football role imminently as we finalise the shortlist for that role. An appointment for the player welfare role will also be announced shortly. In an ideal world, we would love to get to late February, early March with not only all the roles appointed, but operational."

SUPREME COURT APPEAL

Bains confirmed the club is appealing the Supreme Court ruling from November that awarded child sex abuse victim Adam Kneale $5.9 million ($3.35 million for pain and suffering, $2.6 million in loss of earnings and $87,500 for future medical expenses) in damages after a jury found the club was negligent in protecting him in the 1980s from former fundraising committee member Graeme Hobbs.

"We lodged an appeal to the Supreme Court ruling just prior to Christmas. We will wait for that court process to play out before getting a trial date for that matter. (I'm) obviously not at liberty to say too much about that specifically," he said.

"The club for well over a decade – certainly from before my time – has really grown in terms of its financial stability and our ability to navigate through COVID or other seismic events during that period has been stronger accordingly and each time the club has come out in relatively robust position.

"Clearly if the judgement doesn't change, it is a really significant financial impost. What is important to reiterate, though, is it doesn't place the long-term sustainability of the club in any jeopardy. Clearly there will be a significant detrimental impact if the Supreme Court judgement is not changed at all, but it won't come at the expense of the future of the club."

THE NEW-LOOK KENNEL

One of the major projects Bains has helped oversee during his time as CEO is the almost $80 million redevelopment of the club's spiritual home on Barkly Street. The football department has moved into the Victoria University high performance centre at the Whitten Oval, after enduring 12 months of pain with training sessions at Skinner Reserve and weights in a makeshift gym where the cafe once served coffee to devoted supporters wanting to catch a glimpse of their heroes and offer the match committee selection advice.

The Whitten Stand is the final stage of the construction with the administration, reception, merchandise store, museum and function space set to be completed around April if things remain on schedule.

"I think we've already seen the greatest benefit which has nothing to do with the facility but is around the connection and environment piece," he said.

"While the temporary facilities that our program worked out of last year remained at Whitten Oval, the coaches and football staff were on a different level of the building to the playing group. Interactions tended to be around the formal training elements and meetings and wasn't conducive to organic corridor conversations or a player simply grabbing a coach to chat. Even though our facilities aren't absolutely completed just yet, just being together has made a profound difference already."

60,000 MEMBERS IN 2024?

The Bulldogs surged past 40,000 members for the first time in 2017 after the club ended a 62-year premiership drought in 2016 and have been on a steady climb since then – aside from 2020 – eclipsing 50,000 in 2022 before setting a new record last year with 56,302 paid up. Now the goal is to reach 60,000 members this season.

"We've achieved record membership three years in a row. We were one of only four clubs to have double digit growth last year and we remain grateful to have such a committed and loyal fan base supporting us each and every day," Bains said.

"We remain acutely aware that our overall volume is not at the level of some of our other Melbourne-based counterparts; that's our ongoing challenge to bridge that.

"The goal for us this year is to push through the 60,000-member mark for the first time in our history. We are well on track for that and hopeful that our members continue to join up. There is a level of disappointment with how both our programs finished last year, but we have done a lot of work collectively to address that and we go into this year more confident after the changes and the review."

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 03:27 PM
Cont

WILL TIM ENGLISH REMAIN AT THE KENNEL?

After re-signing star key forward Aaron Naughton for eight more years last October – the equal longest current contract in the AFL with new Port Adelaide captain Connor Rozee – West Australian ruckman Tim English enters 2024 as the biggest free agent in the pool.

Bains said list manager Sam Power is currently negotiating an extension with English's manager, Andrew McDougall from Corporate Sports Australia, with the club confident the 2023 All-Australian will recommit his future to the Western Bulldogs.

"There is definite confidence that Tim will remain at the Bulldogs," he said. "Sam Power continues to have ongoing and current discussions with Tim's manager, Andrew McDougall. We haven't received any indication other than Tim being happy at the club. We hope that our program rebounds (and) that will give not only Tim, but all of our players, confidence in the long-term on-field future of the club too."

ShibbyUp
13-02-2024, 04:02 PM
Cont

WILL TIM ENGLISH REMAIN AT THE KENNEL?

After re-signing star key forward Aaron Naughton for eight more years last October – the equal longest current contract in the AFL with new Port Adelaide captain Connor Rozee – West Australian ruckman Tim English enters 2024 as the biggest free agent in the pool.

Bains said list manager Sam Power is currently negotiating an extension with English's manager, Andrew McDougall from Corporate Sports Australia, with the club confident the 2023 All-Australian will recommit his future to the Western Bulldogs.

"There is definite confidence that Tim will remain at the Bulldogs," he said. "Sam Power continues to have ongoing and current discussions with Tim's manager, Andrew McDougall. We haven't received any indication other than Tim being happy at the club. We hope that our program rebounds (and) that will give not only Tim, but all of our players, confidence in the long-term on-field future of the club too."

Would be seriously bloody nice if they can close a deal with English or Jamarra (or both haha) early on in the campaign and really generate a bit of momentum that we're going places

Uninformed
13-02-2024, 04:13 PM
That is a magnificent explanation from Bains. He hit all the right points on exactly the right note. CEO excellence in action.

I think all is well at the Kennel!

bornadog
13-02-2024, 04:19 PM
Great article and summary of where we are at.

Exciting times at the club with the revamp and review, new coaching and Performance managers, new facility.

No Excuses Dogs, we must reach top 4 this season

GVGjr
13-02-2024, 04:26 PM
That is a magnificent explanation from Bains. He hit all the right points on exactly the right note. CEO excellence in action.

I think all is well at the Kennel!

It's always a matter of timing with the club. I mentioned that we needed something from our Media Manager or CEO and that it shouldn't all fall on Luke and a few hours later AFL.com have a comprehensive response from Bains though no doubt was done yesterday when we had a few from the media at the training session.
I just get the impression that everything is planned and prescribed as we head into the 2024 season.
A comprehensive review completed professionally, new coaches and head of fitness in place, an elite facility when compared to 12 months ago for the players to train on, the VFL team will return home to the WO and an experienced playing list that should be well placed to push us into the finals.
I get some of the media gets down on us but to me there isn't a lot of excuses and we should be able to stand on our performances.

Could you imagine the push we could get with memberships if we ran a campaign with the likes of Tim, Baz or Marra saying "I'm signed on..are you?"

ledge
13-02-2024, 04:32 PM
Andrew Mc Dougall didn’t he play a season or two for us ?
Hopefully he has fond memories and maybe leans 1 or 2% our way with Tim, they say it’s all about the 1%ers

josie
13-02-2024, 06:44 PM
Well done Ameet.

Now let?s turn this into on field success for men?s and women?s teams.

Can Bar
13-02-2024, 07:35 PM

Yep makes sense, but would love him to come out and highlight Kano's Opinions with a remark about his negative remarks, gets him paid, he was a negative type player, wouldn't expect much else....I would Love Kano to say 50 positive things in a row, but that wont happen.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2024, 09:54 PM
Loved reading the AB article today. Hammer on the nail. Good response. Next.

Vred
13-02-2024, 11:58 PM
"Any suggestion there is an unworkable breakdown in any relationships, including that of Chris and Luke, is frankly incorrect, as is any suggestion that role changes have been made on this basis," Bains said.

Wait. So there IS a breakdown between them but it's not unworkable? Is that how I'm reading this? Because that wording would suggest that their is in fact, a problem.

jeemak
14-02-2024, 12:04 AM
Wait. So there IS a breakdown between them but it's not unworkable? Is that how I'm reading this? Because that wording would suggest that their is in fact, a problem.

I think it definitely says the opposite.

AshMac
14-02-2024, 08:07 AM
It's always a matter of timing with the club. I mentioned that we needed something from our Media Manager or CEO and that it shouldn't all fall on Luke and a few hours later AFL.com have a comprehensive response from Bains though no doubt was done yesterday when we had a few from the media at the training session.
I just get the impression that everything is planned and prescribed as we head into the 2024 season.
A comprehensive review completed professionally, new coaches and head of fitness in place, an elite facility when compared to 12 months ago for the players to train on, the VFL team will return home to the WO and an experienced playing list that should be well placed to push us into the finals.
I get some of the media gets down on us but to me there isn't a lot of excuses and we should be able to stand on our performances.

Could you imagine the push we could get with memberships if we ran a campaign with the likes of Tim, Baz or Marra saying "I'm signed on..are you?"

Agree. I think all those factors - training facilities, new faces etc set us up for a good preseason. I did wonder what impact training for a gameplan we ditched in round 3 had on our season. The superstars have the talent to adapt to anything but our second string players looked completely lost at times which I thought could have been connected to a lack of clarity and preparation of the gameplan we reverted back to

MrMahatma
14-02-2024, 09:35 AM

I think it’s interesting wording and doubt it’s by chance. He hasn’t said “their working relationship is as strong as ever”.

That said - they’re both pros and don’t need to be best mates. If it’s workable, it’s workable.

hujsh
14-02-2024, 10:16 AM
I think we all know there is a breakdown post Rowan Smith so as long as they can manage it that's what matters now.

Axe Man
20-02-2024, 05:35 PM
?Really anxious?: Dogs confirm rumoured behind-the-scenes feud but deny it?ll hurt 2024 (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/really-anxious-dogs-confirm-rumoured-behindthescenes-feud-but-deny-itll-hurt-2024/news-story/845dac29941faac07c6e4a0efe5acec6?fbclid=IwAR2qksTpusUlp4CzrR Y4TkPVdI6GHSmMCbs3ksLnG2foklqTDT4nly9uwvk)

Tensions in the Western Bulldogs football department were real and had to be dealt with but have also abated since last year according to club boss Ameet Bains.

After an emotional and ?delicate? restructure at the Bulldogs, the chief executive backed coach Luke Beveridge to lead the club back into finals with what he said would be better support around the premiership mentor after a disappointing finish to 2023.

Bains said the appointment of former Geelong defender Matt Egan as general manager of football operations following the club?s review would help Beveridge as a ?buffer? within the football department, but strongly denied it was done to create distance between the coach and longtime director of football Chris Grant.

?I don?t think (Egan?s appointment) is a buffer in terms of what?s required between the pair, it?s certainly a buffer in terms of what the program needs, and that?s to have another senior leader within the football program,? Bains told SEN?s Whately program on Tuesday.

?There has been (tension) in many quarters I think just generally within the department, going back to the previous question about that uncertainty.

?But I was on record a couple of weeks ago dismissing some of the suggestions about there being a blow-up (between Beveridge and Grant) and an unworkable breakdown and things like that, I think that?s grossly exaggerated.?

Bains said the personnel overhaul and restructure over the off-season, which included the departure of Beveridge?s close friend and Bulldogs great Rohan Smith after 12 years as an assistant coach, had been a ?delicate? issue but he was confident the coach would enter the new season better supported by the new-look team under him.

?I think it?s been delicate with everyone, particularly in that phase last year where there was a lot of change and uncertainty, it?s human nature I think to be really anxious about what?s coming next,? Bains said.

?It?s fair to say that was last year, and coming back into the new year and we?ll talk about the season to come, it?s been incredibly positive.

?I think the process we?ve gone through has actually allowed for a lot of the people who have been at our club to almost have a cathartic experience I think, talking about it and getting things off their chest.?

The Bulldogs, who want to reach 60,000 members for the first time in 2024, will play both their unofficial and official pre-season games against Hawthorn this month in a situation Bains explained as the ?last two left at the dance? due to other teams? more complex travel requirements ahead of Opening Round.

Bains said there were ?conversations in train? about re-signing injured midfielder Bailey Smith early in the season as he recovers from his ACL tear, while he was not concerned about losing one of out-of-contract duo Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Tim English despite the significant cap space taken up by Aaron Naughton?s eight-year deal.

?I don?t think (the Naughton contract) impedes our ability to contract either of those players in the manner that we want to or feel is appropriate,? Bains said.

?Both have indicated that they want to stay, so that?s the starting point and we just need to get contracts done now.

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 05:45 PM
One of the points I made a while back in response to the view of Cornes that Beveridge and Grant have been separated is that going back for many years or at least during Bevo's time as coach that our senior coach has always reported to the GM of Footy going back to the Graham Lowe years and a slightly modified version with Chris Maple and really the only year where this didn't happen was last year.
The review and the appointment of Egan has addressed that now and while it might be different to what some clubs do, it's as good as business as usual for us at the Kennel.

azabob
20-02-2024, 06:19 PM
?Really anxious?: Dogs confirm rumoured behind-the-scenes feud but deny it?ll hurt 2024 (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/really-anxious-dogs-confirm-rumoured-behindthescenes-feud-but-deny-itll-hurt-2024/news-story/845dac29941faac07c6e4a0efe5acec6?fbclid=IwAR2qksTpusUlp4CzrR Y4TkPVdI6GHSmMCbs3ksLnG2foklqTDT4nly9uwvk)

Tensions in the Western Bulldogs football department were real and had to be dealt with but have also abated since last year according to club boss Ameet Bains.

After an emotional and ?delicate? restructure at the Bulldogs, the chief executive backed coach Luke Beveridge to lead the club back into finals with what he said would be better support around the premiership mentor after a disappointing finish to 2023.

Bains said the appointment of former Geelong defender Matt Egan as general manager of football operations following the club?s review would help Beveridge as a ?buffer? within the football department, but strongly denied it was done to create distance between the coach and longtime director of football Chris Grant.

?I don?t think (Egan?s appointment) is a buffer in terms of what?s required between the pair, it?s certainly a buffer in terms of what the program needs, and that?s to have another senior leader within the football program,? Bains told SEN?s Whately program on Tuesday.

?There has been (tension) in many quarters I think just generally within the department, going back to the previous question about that uncertainty.

?But I was on record a couple of weeks ago dismissing some of the suggestions about there being a blow-up (between Beveridge and Grant) and an unworkable breakdown and things like that, I think that?s grossly exaggerated.?

Bains said the personnel overhaul and restructure over the off-season, which included the departure of Beveridge?s close friend and Bulldogs great Rohan Smith after 12 years as an assistant coach, had been a ?delicate? issue but he was confident the coach would enter the new season better supported by the new-look team under him.

?I think it?s been delicate with everyone, particularly in that phase last year where there was a lot of change and uncertainty, it?s human nature I think to be really anxious about what?s coming next,? Bains said.

?It?s fair to say that was last year, and coming back into the new year and we?ll talk about the season to come, it?s been incredibly positive.

?I think the process we?ve gone through has actually allowed for a lot of the people who have been at our club to almost have a cathartic experience I think, talking about it and getting things off their chest.?

The Bulldogs, who want to reach 60,000 members for the first time in 2024, will play both their unofficial and official pre-season games against Hawthorn this month in a situation Bains explained as the ?last two left at the dance? due to other teams? more complex travel requirements ahead of Opening Round.

Bains said there were ?conversations in train? about re-signing injured midfielder Bailey Smith early in the season as he recovers from his ACL tear, while he was not concerned about losing one of out-of-contract duo Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and Tim English despite the significant cap space taken up by Aaron Naughton?s eight-year deal.

?I don?t think (the Naughton contract) impedes our ability to contract either of those players in the manner that we want to or feel is appropriate,? Bains said.

?Both have indicated that they want to stay, so that?s the starting point and we just need to get contracts done now.

The opening sentence totally misrepresents what Baines said and is way out of context.

Guarantee Cornes will run with it.

bulldogtragic
20-02-2024, 08:46 PM
The opening sentence totally misrepresents what Baines said and is way out of context.

Guarantee Cornes will run with it.

So be it. Cornes will do and say whatever he wants. That’s pretty much most football journalism now. If we want to humble them, we win. Just replaying Barrett (in my head) on the 2nd of October 2016 telling everyone on camera that the Tom Boyd contract was now worth every cent (with the mannerisms of a hostage video) makes me smile.

I really don’t care what he says. I take more stock from social media influencers on what brand vitamins to buy.