PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Ryley Sanders

bulldogtragic
18-11-2023, 10:00 AM
Bet the farm on it.

josie
18-11-2023, 11:39 AM
I know we?ll end up with a likely long term very good player (Sanders has been going to school in vic for a few years I believe, so go home factor in 4 or so years lower than other Tassie boys) but I still religiously check here multiple times a day, peruse BF and am super excited for our selections on M & T. In years we don?t perform well my excitement exponentially increases. I no longer care about Xmas, birthdays etc. but draft picks I?m all chips in.

I think this makes me a RWB footy tragic.

Back on topic, an early welcome to Ryley. I?ll be super happy M night. How exciting if he debuts round 1? Do woofers think he will? I?m punting on a round 1 debut and look forward to attending open training.

bulldogtragic
18-11-2023, 11:43 AM
I know we?ll end up with a likely long term very good player (Sanders has been going to school in vic for a few years I believe, so go home factor in 4 or so years lower than other Tassie boys) but I still religiously check here multiple times a day, peruse BF and am super excited for our selections on M & T. In years we don?t perform well my excitement exponentially increases. I no longer care about Xmas, birthdays etc. but draft picks I?m all chips in.

I think this makes me a RWB footy tragic.

Back on topic, an early welcome to Ryley. I?ll be super happy M night. How exciting if he debuts round 1? Do woofers think he will? I?m punting on a round 1 debut and look forward to attending open training.

Would be nice if he could do it on form. I think it would be a nice exclamation point that from R1 2024 this playing group is going in a new exciting direction.

Plus I’d be trying to extend him almost immediately.

kruder
18-11-2023, 11:46 AM
Yeah I was a little worried from the early vision that he would be too vanilla for a the top 6 pick and he might be but would be very surprised if he doesn't turn out to be a very good AFL player.

It just makes sense considering the age of Libba, Jack and Treloar and although I was very keen on Watson after seeing him last year at the champs I think we have already invested heavily into the forward line its time to strengthen elsewhere.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 12:02 PM
Just re-watched his Champs video and he does appear to be a well rounded mid. Good enough in the air, good on the ground, can kick seemingly and gets it inside and out.

Seems to have a bit of zip without looking like he's burning players.

Mofra
18-11-2023, 12:48 PM
For anyone concerned about his pace, go and watch his bottom-age year videos. He would just run around opponents without care.

jeemak
18-11-2023, 01:08 PM
For anyone concerned about his pace, go and watch his bottom-age year videos. He would just run around opponents without care.

I can run rings around under nines as well. Doesn't make me fast!

bulldogtragic
18-11-2023, 01:45 PM

Unless you’re uploading videos, we can’t verify this alleged speed of yours…

Mofra
18-11-2023, 01:48 PM
He was playing football against draft peers. Totally different

ledge
18-11-2023, 02:28 PM

Yeah but you’re a lot older and bigger than under 9s.

Happy Days
18-11-2023, 06:56 PM
So the Dees and Hawks might swap picks. Does that change anything here?

GVGjr
18-11-2023, 07:18 PM
So the Dees and Hawks might swap picks. Does that change anything here?

I haven't heard that but if that is the case, it probably means the Hawks are more keen on Curtin and the Dee's on Watson so the Hawks are looking for something to sweeten the offer. Perhaps the Dees late pick will give them a few extra points to land McCabe.

bornadog
18-11-2023, 07:33 PM
Is this thread a tad early

hujsh
18-11-2023, 07:38 PM
If Hawks are 50/50 on Watson and Curtin trading back is a great move IMO. Will be interesting, it seems like there are a lot of potential moves this year for live trading though we haven't really had any dramatic live trades IIRC

bulldogtragic
18-11-2023, 07:42 PM
Is this thread a tad early

I’m happy to back it in.

jeemak
19-11-2023, 04:22 AM
He was playing football against draft peers. Totally different

Yeah but you’re a lot older and bigger than under 9s.

I thought I was being clever and witty, clearly not.

azabob
19-11-2023, 08:15 AM
I thought I was being clever and witty, clearly not.

Don’t forget incredibly good looking.

Happy Days
19-11-2023, 11:58 AM

If I had a genie in a bottle three wishes type deal offered to me, one of my wishes would be to get to play a full season of under 9s at my current age and size but everyone thinks it?s really cool and respects it as an accomplishment.

Grantysghost
19-11-2023, 12:17 PM
If I had a genie in a bottle three wishes type deal offered to me, one of my wishes would be to get to play a full season of under 9s at my current age and size but everyone thinks it?s really cool and respects it as an accomplishment.

What if you didn't perform as expected?

Happy Days
19-11-2023, 12:34 PM
What if you didn't perform as expected?

I’ve been bad at footy before, I’d be very well prepared for it.

Bulldog4life
19-11-2023, 02:05 PM

Just like Kramer and karate.

ledge
19-11-2023, 03:38 PM

The important thing is you have aims and goals.

EasternWest
19-11-2023, 05:55 PM

This is about the funniest thing you've ever said. I am rolling with laughter.

bulldogtragic
19-11-2023, 06:10 PM
This is about the funniest thing you've ever said. I am rolling with laughter.

There’s a funny as hell Indi Aussie film here. Can we get the dude from Mr Inbetween to play HD?

bulldogtragic
19-11-2023, 06:47 PM
Fox footy:

?Hope you come to North?: Sanders opens up on Roos? bold AFL draft pitch? and reasons behind elite consistency

November 19th, 2023 1:53 pm

As the weeks passed by, Ryley Sanders warmed to the idea of wearing a North Melbourne jumper in 2024.

Days after the star ball magnet helped the Allies clinch a historic national championships crown ? and days before he was awarded the Larke Medal as the best and fairest player of the carnival ? it emerged the Kangaroos, as part of their push for an AFL assistance package, were exploring mechanisms to gain exclusive pre-draft access to him.

It was a bold play by North. Rival scouts were, to say the least, grumpy. But the club believed it was a chance, as Sanders was eligible for the Roos? Next Generation Academy ? he has Aboriginal heritage and hails from North?s Tasmanian zone ? but not officially a member.

Considering North was already destined for two early draft picks ? their natural selection, due to their lowly ladder position, as well as possible first-round compensation for losing free agent Ben McKay ? after receiving draft assistance from the AFL last year, it was big news. After ample coverage and speculation around fellow 2023 draft class members Harley Reid and Daniel Curtin, it was Sanders? turn in the spotlight.

And even though Sanders wasn?t closely following the developments in the media himself, Kangaroos supporters certainly were.

?A lot of it?s in the newspapers, which I don?t really look at ? But I knew there was a lot of speculation because it was looking pretty likely for a while,? Sanders told foxfooty.com.au at last month?s AFL draft combine.

?When your name is out there a bit, you obviously get a bit of popularity and a few people have said at school games ?hope you come to North? and stuff. Even in the street I had a few North supporters saying the same.

?I didn?t have a lot of time to look at it. But just mainly talking to my manager (Nick Gieschen) and Brady (Rawlings) and Will (Thursfield) at North ? because obviously they know probably the most about what?s happening ? they?ve been really good for me.?

Sanders in AFL preliminary final week was officially approved as a Roos NGA member by the AFL. But the Kangaroos? hopes of getting priority call over him had faded ahead of the AFL Commission?s official call on North?s assistance package.

Ultimately, the AFL handed North Melbourne three end-of-first-round compensation picks ? spread over the next two drafts ? as well two additional rookie list spots for next season.

But no exclusive access to Sanders.

?Will gave me a ring when it didn?t get ticked off, just saying unfortunately it didn?t happen but ?we?ll still keep in contact because we?re still interested in drafting you?,? Sanders said.

?Hopefully they (Roos fans) are not too disappointed that it didn?t happen. But hopefully I can still end up there.?

As well as spending the final stage of his schooling boarding at Melbourne Grammar, the Launceston product?s close friendship with 2022 Sandringham Dragons premiership teammate Harry Sheezel made the prospect of joining the Kangaroos even more appealing.

?He?s like a big brother to me, so maybe playing with one of your best mates is pretty special,? Sanders said with a smile.

?He?s been unreal because he literally went through the same thing as me last year: Playing for Sandy and the Academy, dealing with the pressures of trying to get drafted and then all the speculation on where you might go.

?We were definitely excited when it was looking like we could be playing together. Hopefully it still happens, but if not, hopefully I play against him and tear him up.?

While the Kangaroos have continued to track Sanders closely ? and there?s even been suggestions they could pair Sanders with fellow Tasmanian Colby McKercher using their two top-three picks ? they?re set to pick powerful medium forward Zane Duursma.

And with Hawthorn weighing up whether to take small forward Nick Watson or Claremont key defender Daniel Curtin, it?s then widely expected the Western Bulldogs will select Sanders with their first pick ? a selection they were prepared to trade three first-round picks for in October ? barring any late curveballs.

It looms as a shrewd selection for the Dogs, considering the lack of emerging young midfielders on their list. And this year, Sanders is one of the best on-ballers in the pool.

Few players in this year?s pool showed metronomic consistency ? at such a high standard ? across all levels like Sanders did. He averaged a whopping 36 disposals, 15 contested possessions, six inside 50s, six marks and five tackles for the Allies at the carnival, while he averaged 31 disposals for the Dragons at Coates Talent League level, racking up at least 25 touches in all of his nine games.

But even though he was representing Sandringham in the league, Sanders was a keen Tasmania Devils supporter from afar.

?He?s a great young adult, as professional as they come and also down to earth and genuine,? Devils coach Jeromey Webberley told foxfooty.com.au.

?He?ll often send me texts after Tassie have a win or there?s a good news story in Tassie ? When he?s back from school holidays or over the pre-season, he comes and trains with the Devils.

?He hasn?t been with us for 24 months, but in some ways he still feels a little bit a part of our program over the time.?

Thanks to his competitiveness, workrate, strong inside-outside balance and clean hands, Sanders rarely plays a bad game. It?s a trait he prides himself on ? hence he identified it as a potential area of improvement 12 months ago.

Sanders said his ability to find balance on and off the field this year was a major reason behind his elite week-to-week performances. He also credited his nutritionist ? a fellow footy player who ?understands what I need to eat? ? for ?helping me become a lot more leaner?.

?I feel like I?ve been consistent all throughout my career, but I thought last year I was a little bit up and down, which was something I was really disappointed in,? he said.

?I definitely honed in on asking different people for different advice and then little things like obviously train hard but then how to get away from footy, how to do recovery, how much gym should I be doing ? all those little one-percenters add up to the whole big picture of it.

?I think my pre-season was pretty big. I thought I put in a lot of work that set me up for a high fitness level. Then little things like making sure my diet is really clean, doing stretching, recovery, hot and cold ice baths, making sure I?m doing gym, bike.

?Sometimes during last year I was not taking the foot off the pedal and I was just worried about playing then not doing as much gym. This year I?ve focused on getting stronger, fitter and getting a better diet throughout the year, which has helped me play better.?

Sanders was raised in Tasmania and boarded in Melbourne ? but supports the Gold Coast Suns in the AFL.

That?s because his dad Adam Sanders ? a North Launceston great who also played 284 NTFL games before moving into coaching and development roles ? worked closely with a lot of Tasmanian players that were ultimately taken by the Suns during their first few years in the AFL.

?They gave me lots of gear when Dad would catch up with them,? Sanders said. ?And Gary Ablett?s just my all-time favourite. I just love him. He?s an absolute jet.?

Sanders said his father had clearly been the biggest influence on his footy journey.

?He just instilled that work ethic into me from a young age,? he said of Adam. ?Like he?s never forced me to go to the gym or go for a kick or anything else on me, but he always just said: ?If you want to make it, these are the things you?re going to have to do.?

?He?s also been so good at the skill acquisition of the game and the footy knowledge, like making sure I can handball with both hands, be super clean, be able to kick well and make good decisions ? because I think they?re the most important things. I want to get better, so I?m always asking questions.?

Of all this year?s top draft prospects, Sanders is one of the most ?ready? for AFL. His dedication on and off the field is unquestionable, while his decision to move away from home to finish his schooling has seen him mature quickly.

?Physically I?m pretty ready to go because I?ve put a lot of work into my body and my strength. And mentally I?ve been preparing for this forever,? Sanders said.

?Obviously I?ve already moved away from home, so I think I?ve kind of got rid of those baby steps already. A lot of the boys that move from home can struggle a bit with homesickness.

?But I?m ready to get cracking straight into the footy, which is pretty exciting.?

hujsh
19-11-2023, 07:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL42vNLXfPI&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=FootyStuff

Twodogs
19-11-2023, 09:30 PM

I found that they're a lot quicker than you think they are

Twodogs
19-11-2023, 09:41 PM

As a matter of interest what would the other two wishes be?

Happy Days
19-11-2023, 09:58 PM
As a matter of interest what would the other two wishes be?

For the Frank Ocean album to drop and for 3 more wishes.

SquirrelGrip
19-11-2023, 10:00 PM
Player Profile now up.

https://youtu.be/VL42vNLXfPI?si=P0HAQGOoaiWqKx2f

Twodogs
19-11-2023, 10:02 PM
For the Frank Ocean album to drop and for 3 more wishes.

I've often wondered what the legal technical legalities regarding asking for more wishes was

bornadog
19-11-2023, 10:06 PM
Looks like a player ready to play from round one

SquirrelGrip
19-11-2023, 10:07 PM
Looks like a player ready to play from round one

As a Sums supporter, his favourite player was Gary Ablett Jnr. I could see elements of Gaz in that highlights video.

bornadog
19-11-2023, 11:04 PM
As a Sums supporter, his favourite player was Gary Ablett Jnr. I could see elements of Gaz in that highlights video.

yeah agree with that.

hujsh
19-11-2023, 11:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL42vNLXfPI&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=FootyStuff

Player Profile now up.

I was wondering why someone posted this twice then noticed my link was broken and I never checked

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-11-2023, 12:08 AM
I'd be very happy with this selection. Impressive traits that align with our long term needs to ensure our midfield remains a force as some of our regular inside mid stalwarts edge closer to the twilight if not the end of their careers.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2023, 08:17 AM
Has to play R1. Hit more I50 targets this year than Bailey Smith almost his whole career. Since we are going to pump huge years and cash in out forwardline after high picks, then we need mids who can kick it directly to them to their advantage.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-11-2023, 12:46 PM
I've been on Watson, but it's getting harder to deny Sanders.

His movement, decision making and work rate looks first rate.

macca
20-11-2023, 01:31 PM
I've been on Watson, but it's getting harder to deny Sanders.

His movement, decision making and work rate looks first rate.

He has similar Bont like traits , especially so young. He be a fabulous recruit.
We need to get his development right and pray steer away from injuries

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-11-2023, 01:49 PM
Has to play R1. Hit more I50 targets this year than Bailey Smith almost his whole career. Since we are going to pump huge years and cash in out forwardline after high picks, then we need mids who can kick it directly to them to their advantage.

Its the footage of his vision and execution to deliver with precision by foot to targets in a congested forward line, that was a decisive factor in my settling on Sanders as my preference.
I'll be happy with whoever the club settles on though, as it really does look like there will be excellent options to consider for roles that we need addressing in a few different areas.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2023, 02:08 PM
The rhyming nature of fate is interesting.

North wanted Sanders. Got three late first rounders over two years instead.
We want Sanders. Gave up three mid-late first rounders over two years to get him.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-11-2023, 02:33 PM
Don?t forget incredibly good looking.

Shiny teeth too.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2023, 04:09 PM
Hun Late Mail:

Dogs will take Sanders even if Watson is available.

bulldogtragic
20-11-2023, 04:12 PM
Hun Late Mail:

Dogs will take Sanders even if Watson is available.

Landsberger also saying it’s going to be Sanders. Would be a shock to be anyone other than Sanders!

Grantysghost
20-11-2023, 04:15 PM
Landsberger also saying it’s going to be Sanders. Would be a shock to be anyone other than Sanders!

Wow ok Sanders it is.

Sam is son of the former Doctor Jake so he would have good intel.

kruder
20-11-2023, 04:55 PM
Dom Milesi also said we are interested in Shaun Mannagh and said he would be surprised if most clubs weren't, hence maybe suggesting he will be gone by our pick?

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-11-2023, 10:13 PM
Wow ok Sanders it is.

Sam is son of the former Doctor Jake so he would have good intel.

Sanders is considered the best talent to come out of Tasmania,
considering the fact that Tassie for the first time in many years have upwards of 5-6 prospects likely to be drafted this year.
Sanders pedigree is excellent with his father and uncle being fine players over many years in the Apple Isle.
The huge off field changes at the WB together with the likes of Sanders Croft and Coffield together with Darcy coupled with the decision to move on a number of players has brought about a feeling of optimism for Season 2024 and beyond.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2024, 02:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GK9vJMiaIAAgdnn?format=jpg&name=large

The Bulldogs Bite
13-04-2024, 02:07 AM
Storm in a teacup.

angelopetraglia
13-04-2024, 02:08 AM
I actually like to see that he has some serious passion and was pissed off. You need that inner competitive spirit.

jeemak
13-04-2024, 02:18 AM
I just hope he doesn't refuse an ice bath and ask to get traded to North Melbourne.

Happy Days
13-04-2024, 02:54 AM
He had a point.

SonofScray
13-04-2024, 03:11 AM
Good passion from him.

GVGjr
13-04-2024, 08:02 AM
Storm in a teacup.

I agree, but it's going to be a talking point for the media.

jazzadogs
13-04-2024, 08:43 AM
I have no issue with Sanders being subbed and having his minutes managed.

I also have no issue with him being frustrated by that in the moment.

If he's still annoyed on Wednesday or Thursday, then we potentially have a problem.

lemmon
13-04-2024, 09:04 AM
He had a point.

Yeah, this, I thought it was a weird call. You're bringing in an outside flanker as sub and have Baker, Bramble and Gallagher playing those roles and struggling. I thought it was a weird call to take out the fourth guy in your inside midfield rotation who'd had a decent first half.

You'd prefer Sanders wasn't so public about it, but at least it wasn't passive acceptance of the game and his being removed from it.

chef
13-04-2024, 09:17 AM
Hes still a kid.

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 10:08 AM
We have poorly managed him so far. The coach built him up to be an instant star.

Hotdog60
13-04-2024, 10:11 AM
Dale didn't do much when he came on and I even think he spoiled our own when they were in good position to mark the ball.

GVGjr
13-04-2024, 10:13 AM
We have poorly managed him so far. The coach built him up to be an instant star.

I can't see a lot wrong with the way we have introduced Sanders into his senior football journey.
Why do you think he has been poorly managed?

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 10:15 AM
I can't see a lot wrong with the way we have introduced Sanders into his senior football journey.
Why do you think he has been poorly managed?
No problem saying he looks good preseason. Saying the best recruit he has seen is poor management.

GVGjr
13-04-2024, 10:20 AM
No problem saying he looks good preseason. Saying the best recruit he has seen is poor management.

So providing an accurate assessment in front of the camera's etc is poor management?
What would you have preferred that he said?

Hotdog60
13-04-2024, 10:32 AM
Sanders reaction could easily be that he was pissed off with himself that he got subbed not piss off that he got subbed.
Depends on how you look at it.

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 10:34 AM
So providing an accurate assessment in front of the camera's etc is poor management?
What would you have preferred that he said?
All that was needed was that he looks good, building him more before a game played wasn’t. Most Top 10 picks already have an inflated ego, no wonder he is extra upset when he was subbed.

GVGjr
13-04-2024, 10:42 AM
All that was needed was that he looks good, building him more before a game played wasn’t. Most Top 10 picks already have an inflated ego, no wonder he is extra upset when he was subbed.

Are you really saying that Bevo's comments contributed to Sanders having an inflated ego and getting upset at being subbed?
I can't see how or why you're drawing that conclusion.

No player wants to be subbed unless they're injured. Some handle it better than others and what Bevo said about them in the media isn't a consideration.

whythelongface
13-04-2024, 10:47 AM
Talk about a storm in a teacup. A first year player gets subbed off and he is annoyed (either at himself or because he is passionate). Jeepers people raad into things way too much.

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 11:04 AM
Are you really saying that Bevo's comments contributed to Sanders having an inflated ego and getting upset at being subbed?
I can't see how or why you're drawing that conclusion.

No player wants to be subbed unless they're injured. Some handle it better than others and what Bevo said about them in the media isn't a consideration.
Yes. If he saying that to the public, what’s he saying in private
The best recruit ever seen that’s played in front of club veterans but subbed in 2 of 5 games, and had 2 others named rising star in front of him.
Did he need the extra pressure?

ledge
13-04-2024, 11:42 AM
Well well , I gave my thoughts last week he should be playing in VFL getting full game time and picking up 30 to 40 possessions and practising his craft and positioning, playing AFL and only 50-60% game time is limiting his ball in hand time.
I’m not saying he isn’t any good I rate him but at his age he needs the ball in his hand as much as possible.
Even Bontempelli played his first 4 games in vfl.
Look at Darcy and Jamarra the first year or so ( take out Covid for jUH) they both played vfl first.
I think the only player we put straight in that worked was Smith but he had a very strong body for his age.
I see Sanders as an accumulator like Macrae but better disposal in time.

Mofra
13-04-2024, 11:46 AM
I see Sanders as an accumulator like Macrae but better disposal in time.
Macrae is arguably the greatest accumulator we've seen in Bulldogs colours (bar Scott West) so that's a high bar to set.
Sanders has a much more rounded defensive side to his game at the same age.

I suspect we give him a VFL run and he kills it and is back in the AFL the week afterwards

lemmon
13-04-2024, 12:06 PM
I find the decisions around Sanders / Gags to be pretty interesting. To my eye, Sanders has been the better performer of the two, but there seems to be something we don't like in his game compared to Gallagher, considering Gags has played full games and Sanders has been subbed twice.

Is it a role thing? Gags is more of the outside runner whereas Sanders probably needs to play inside to be effectual? I'm fine with that, but then it didn't make a heap of sense taking him out for Bailey Dale when we were getting hurt on clearance.

I think I'm seeing more to like about Sanders' games than the MC and he's a bit of a victim of a change in style towards a more transitional, running game.

ledge
13-04-2024, 12:10 PM
Macrae is arguably the greatest accumulator we've seen in Bulldogs colours (bar Scott West) so that's a high bar to set.
Sanders has a much more rounded defensive side to his game at the same age.

I suspect we give him a VFL run and he kills it and is back in the AFL the week afterwards

Macrae had to do it to get back in and poor old Garcia is smashing it and can’t get in , I would swap Garcia for Sanders, Garcia has more urgency and a bit harder, we need hardness not pretty boy atm

Smads57
13-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Sanders dad and grandparents in crowd - might have been disappointed for them travelling and him being subbed?

Stevo
13-04-2024, 05:26 PM

Yeah coaches should never praise anyone, exceptionally poor management :confused:

ledge
13-04-2024, 06:00 PM
Yeah coaches should never praise anyone, exceptionally poor management :confused:

I think it was over the top it actually sends out a bad msge to other recruits like JUH or Smith as in he didnt think they were as good as him.
Smith was 100% better ready than Sanders, now Sanders might feel he hasn’t lived up to what was expected.
Bevo should have just said he is tracking extremely well for a game in round 1.
Still praising him but not putting pressure on him, it also gives the media a free kick at Bevo if he drops him.

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 07:52 PM
Is that what I said?

Mofra
13-04-2024, 08:07 PM
Lucky nobody said that.
"Most advanced" is not "best recruit"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/all-the-hype-is-real-praise-heaped-on-young-pup-as-bulldogs-thump-hawthorn-20240301-p5f91u.html

JanLorMill
13-04-2024, 10:23 PM
Lucky nobody said that.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/all-the-hype-is-real-praise-heaped-on-young-pup-as-bulldogs-thump-hawthorn-20240301-p5f91u.html
Thanks for highlighting it.

Grantysghost
14-04-2024, 08:34 AM
Lucky nobody said that.

My reading was he was just ready to plug in and play.
He won or came podium in an early 2k time trial and had a pre season many with multiple under their belts can't deliver.
Bevo's statement was spot on and why not generate some hype in pre season. It's the time to do it!

Mofra
14-04-2024, 02:12 PM
My reading was he was just ready to plug in and play.
He won or came podium in an early 2k time trial and had a pre season many with multiple under their belts can't deliver.
Bevo's statement was spot on and why not generate some hype in pre season. It's the time to do it!
Hyperbole or not, pretending Bevo said something he actually didn't it pretty poor form to try and make a point.

Sanders is clearly passionate. To me that's great. I'll take a thrown water bottle here and there over someone that pisses their opportunity up the wall.

mighty_west
14-04-2024, 03:10 PM
The kid is going to be something bloody good that is for sure, and it wasn't just Bevo or the coaching staff or the club talking him up, us supporters read the awesome training reports, we see how he was playing in the pre-season games, the media see how he's tracking and many in the media have pumped up his tyres big time (not quite as much as Harley mind you), to say he's the most advanced is not poor management what so ever, his preparation for training sessions, his voice on the track, the way he is training, all of it is what we all want to know as passionate supporters, internally the club would be working non stop not just with Ryley but with all draftees around the pressures and managing expectations.

The bulldog tragician
14-04-2024, 03:45 PM
I’d like to know who among the coaching staff, or how Riley was spoken to when he was subbed.

Is it clear to him the reasons, whether this is “ you’re doing great, we are just managing your minutes, our data trackers show us you’re fatigued” - or whatever fact-based reasons there are. Or “ we noticed you didn’t stand where we needed at the stoppages, you ran into spots we didn’t want you to”… or whatever.

Is this happening as well as it should be? What about our leaders at the club when they’re on the bench with him? A kid this young needs support, direction, to feel like he belongs and understands his role. Is our club that kind of place at the moment?

EasternWest
14-04-2024, 04:51 PM
Hyperbole or not, pretending Bevo said something he actually didn't it pretty poor form to try and make a point.

Sanders is clearly passionate. To me that's great. I'll take a thrown water bottle here and there over someone that pisses their opportunity up the wall.

I'm perfectly ok with a young guy being pissed off and impetuous. He'll learn in time to hold onto it better, but I doesn't hurt to see him angry.

GVGjr
14-04-2024, 04:52 PM
I want a player to show some emotion whenever they are subbed out of a game for tactical reasons. Sanders probably went over the top just a bit but he will learn from it. It's not a big issue at all.

ledge
14-04-2024, 05:30 PM
I’d like to know who among the coaching staff, or how Riley was spoken to when he was subbed.

Is it clear to him the reasons, whether this is “ you’re doing great, we are just managing your minutes, our data trackers show us you’re fatigued” - or whatever fact-based reasons there are. Or “ we noticed you didn’t stand where we needed at the stoppages, you ran into spots we didn’t want you to”… or whatever.

Is this happening as well as it should be? What about our leaders at the club when they’re on the bench with him? A kid this young needs support, direction, to feel like he belongs and understands his role. Is our club that kind of place at the moment?

As a cricketer when you made a duck, no one went near you for the first 5 minutes as you were that angry, most times you are left alone to vent for a while and settle. Then in a more controlled environment you are talked to or discussion is made.
I would say it’s much the same, especially when cameras and the media can’t wait to film it and blow it out of the water because I can assure you it wouldn’t have been a good look if he was seen upset while talking to a coach. Media would have made it a lot worse.

mighty_west
14-04-2024, 05:50 PM
As a cricketer when you made a duck, no one went near you for the first 5 minutes as you were that angry, most times you are left alone to vent for a while and settle. Then in a more controlled environment you are talked to or discussion is made.
I would say it’s much the same, especially when cameras and the media can’t wait to film it and blow it out of the water because I can assure you it wouldn’t have been a good look if he was seen upset while talking to a coach. Media would have made it a lot worse.

Remember a close mate as well as team mate who smashed a brick wall with his fist after getting out cheap, being his good mate i was the one to drive him to Willy hospital with a dislocated finger and broken hand with the one hit, Sanders possibly went a little too far but great to see him show some passion (just glad he didn't end up with a busted hand).

soupman
14-04-2024, 06:31 PM
Could have also been performative.

I mean if you are trying to form your identity as a footballer who really cares about winning and getting the most of yourself, then a 19 year old might think that demonstrating how angry with himself he is is something he should be doing.

Much like he might think not going to the formal helps paint the picture of him being a responsible young man who is prepared to sacrifice to reach his goals.

josie
14-04-2024, 08:42 PM
Agree with woofers saying at least he is showing some passion. Personally I hope he is not dropped next game.

merantau
15-04-2024, 08:38 PM
Sanders is a very good player. He showed how much he wants to play. He shouldn't have been subbed out.

Rocket Science
15-04-2024, 08:59 PM
Jeez. A bloke who manifestly cares and *gulp* shows it.

Fancy that.

jeemak
15-04-2024, 09:08 PM
Jeez. A bloke who manifestly cares and *gulp* shows it.

Fancy that.

When I was his age in one game I called an umpire a cheating so and so, got sent off, punched the interchange bench sheet metal ten times (I knew it was flimsy) and the media didn't say boo about it.

This was at Blackburn kicking the dew off at 11am, but still.......

jeemak
14-07-2024, 10:44 PM
I've noticed a fair bit of angst around the progress of Sanders, so thought I would do a bit of a comparison between him and the last two pure inside midfielders of similar height we spent high draft capital on. One still plays for us, another retired a couple of years ago and funnily is someone people believe Sanders is close to emulating:

Tom Liberatore

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7159&pid2=3486&fid1=O&fid2=O

Time on ground for Tom was ~13% higher than Sanders at this age. Sanders is a bit more effective with the footy, Tom has more of it, tackles are pretty much the same. Sanders is playing the roll up to the contest role, Libba was probably more inside and when not, a true forward.

Mitch Wallis

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=I&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7159&pid2=3467&fid1=O&fid2=O

Mitch had half the sample size of Sanders at the same age though efficiency is similar as is tackle count, time on ground is favoured towards Mitch by ~5%. From memory, and I'm prepared to be corrected here, Mitch spent more time on a flank than he did inside in his first season, or maybe even as the sub which might account for his lower possession count. Additionally, it felt to me in his first season Mitch had a harder time adjusting to the game than Libba did.

Not sure what any of it means, though Sanders is putting up OK numbers for someone of his physical attributes whilst playing a pretty difficult role where it's hard to feel completely involved in today's game where you're almost rewarded for not getting the footy as much as you are, if you're doing what the team needs. He's also not being hidden behind the ball in a shit team or a good one, instead the role he plays is critical to a middling one in transition.

I appreciate why people are worried about him though. He seems hesitant to move it forward, as the second possession out can be iffy or floaty with his kicking, and hasn't been assertive with his running in general play to hit the board. We also spent a lot of draft capital to land him.

But, I then look at another pure inside midfielder who cost us a lot in draft capital and was vaunted for his running capacity and attention to detail with training and preparation (much like Sanders).

Bailey Smith

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=8&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=7159&pid2=6618&fid1=O&fid2=O

Smith spent about ~13% more time on ground but I'm not sure how the sub rule respectively impacts that. Disposal efficiency is about the same as are disposals and tackles. Smith hit the scoreboard in half his games which is a huge plus for a first year player.

Again, not sure what any of this means. The game has changed over each increment between the drafts these players were landed within, but I'm not sure I can wring my hands too much about where Sanders is placed right now.

Yes, he has to work on his forward movement, intent with his kicking (because we have seen he can flatly nail goals from fifty in preseason) and general involvement and decision making, but isn't that the case with all young players outside of the very elite?

1eyedog
14-07-2024, 11:20 PM
Yes but does he 'crack in' like all your other examples do / did?

Seems very bruise free at present.

I'm not expecting big things from him at the moment but a bit more intent would be welcome. He's had a number of moments where I've wanted a bit more from him.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Yes but does he 'crack in' like all your other examples do / did?

Seems very bruise free at the moment.

I disagree that he's bruise free and I also can't remember what the others were like in comparison at the same age, outside of him being lower than Libba and Smith in contested possessions, but ahead of Wallis but to me that's enough about role as anything else just looking at the numbers.

1eyedog
14-07-2024, 11:27 PM
Bruise free might be strong words. Seems there's something holding him back though.

He's a kid in his first season so l'm not going to dump on him. There was a lot of preseason hype though and he does appears to be off the pace somewhat.

jeemak
14-07-2024, 11:32 PM
Delete

jeemak
14-07-2024, 11:33 PM
Agree something is holding him back, but I'm not sure what the pace setter looks like in the roll up to contest role he actually plays.

A lot of his peers have been played outside or behind the ball in their first years, while some like Rowell were just nuts around the contest given the opportunity to play a major role in the side.

Pick six in the draft versus pick one is a bit like a mid single handicap versus a scratch player in golf maybe. Technically and on paper close, but the difference between the two positions in practice is a lot when among high level competition.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 11:41 PM
I will reserve my judgement till he hits at least 20 games.

Note: Games set by former WOOFER, SOS.

Mofra
14-07-2024, 11:55 PM
Well, he was pick 6. Considering others at the pick:

2022: Bailey Humphrey
2021: Josh Rachele
2020: Denver Grainger-Barras
2019: Fisher McAsey
2018: Ben King
2017: Jaiden Stephenson

Ben King is a star, Humphrey ruined by injury, Rachele highly skilled but still nailing down his best, and Sanders already has the others covered.
Are we asking too much of him?

jeemak
15-07-2024, 12:00 AM
EW's favourite from 2017 hasn't really done a lot.

Waiting for Scorlibo to deliver some statistical analysis through coding via Python/ R to show exactly what I'm talking about.

1eyedog
15-07-2024, 12:03 AM

Ben King is a star, Humphrey ruined by injury, Rachele highly skilled but still nailing down his best, and Sanders already has the others covered.

Yes we probably are at this stage. I think the Bailey Smith noise as well is causing some of the hand wringing re. can Sanders live up to expectations considering we likely go one young gun down next season.

jeemak
15-07-2024, 12:15 AM
I will reserve my judgement till he hits at least 20 games.

Note: Games set by former WOOFER, SOS.

BAD has killed off SonofScray. :)

Note - he means Sockeyesalmon

Mantis
15-07-2024, 08:10 AM
The boy isn?t ready for this stage yet.

His first instinct when he gets the ball is to quickly pass it off, especially by hand and that?s what we need at present.

He needs to get to a position where he is comfortable to take space and then find a player in a better position than him or kick to the advantage of players upfield.

He should go back to the VFL team for the remainder of the season.

Go_Dogs
15-07-2024, 10:07 AM
He’s not being asked (or required) to be the man. He’s being asked (I assume) to play a role. He seems to be doing that ok at the moment. He’s tackling better than he was at the start of the year - both intent and technique. His hands in gathering the ball seem good, his decision making and execution needs work, as it should as a first year player. Overall I’d say he’s going ok as a first year player.

What we’re all challenged by (I think) is we are all looking for that trait or two that scream “this kid is ELITE” but he probably isn’t going to be that type of player or give us those signs. He’s going to be a more death by a 1000 cuts type of player, who is consistent and reliable. I’m thinking he’s a combination of Macrae (more prime, than the current half forward incarnation) and Wallis (the midfield link player with good hands and short sharp kicking).

If he becomes a 200+ gamer in this mould that’s a good result.

Not every early player we draft is going to be Bont.

bornadog
15-07-2024, 10:09 AM

Jackson Macrae says hi

ledge
15-07-2024, 10:30 AM
He isn’t bruise free , we see him tackle very well but it’s his attacking side I want to see . He isn’t breaking lines or taking the game on, his delivery is good but safe. As said in a previous post he tends to look for a small hand off as a first option like he isn’t confident to take a chance.
I don’t think he is getting the ball enough yet for his position either .
Bailey smith comparison is a good comparison as in Bailey has always ran and taken the game on , there were highlights .
Have we seen one highlight from Sanders yet ?
Most players in the first few games are told to go out and enjoy it and just run.
I think Sanders has a mental thought of not failing so won’t take a chance.
He is young and a long way to go but this is how I seen him so far.
We would be better with a Garcia in at the moment. Faster, harder and takes the game on.

Happy Days
15-07-2024, 10:55 AM

Can we unban Sockeye? He was funny as hell, I would’ve loved to have seen his posts in the Billy Gowers era.

GVGjr
15-07-2024, 11:16 AM
As Go Dogs pointed out, Sanders is being asked to play a role behind, Bont, Libba, Richards and Treloar and other than his kick to handball ratio he appears to be doing that quite well.
He needs to break his goal kicking cherry though :)

ledge
15-07-2024, 11:20 AM
Can we unban Sockeye? He was funny as hell, I would’ve loved to have seen his posts in the Billy Gowers era.

Sockeye got banned ? Wow now that’s going back , a few high posters have disappeared over the years.
Whatever happened to FDOTM and Coondog ?

hujsh
15-07-2024, 11:35 AM
Sockeye got banned ? Wow now that’s going back , a few high posters have disappeared over the years.
Whatever happened to FDOTM and Coondog ?

First hit the big time and the second was too betrayed by the loss of Rocket

bornadog
15-07-2024, 12:09 PM

Not true.

1eyedog
15-07-2024, 12:12 PM

Big time alright I saw FDOTM walking into an adult shop in Sydney Road Brunswick!

bornadog
15-07-2024, 12:14 PM
Big time alright I saw FDOTM walking into an adult shop in Sydney Road Brunswick!

You sure it was him? He lives in Tassie

Countrydog5
15-07-2024, 12:20 PM
As Go Dogs pointed out, Sanders is being asked to play a role behind, Bont, Libba, Richards and Treloar and other than his kick to handball ratio he appears to be doing that quite well.
He needs to break his goal kicking cherry though :)

You would know as well as anyone Gary, but in the pre-season he was playing very differently in club scrimmages to what he is now. He was cracking in hard, taking running shots on goal and being much more aggressive with his running patterns and positioning.

I believe (the whisper is) after his first couple of games where he turned the ball over trying to bite off aggressive kicks inboard, he was told to cool his jets a bit, play his role and leave those sorts of kicks to our distributors. He was dropped, told to work on the defensive side of his game and he'd find a spot in the team where he was a role player.

He does have the attributes to be a game winner, but at the moment you can just see his first instinct is to do the team thing and move the ball on quickly and safely. I'd love to see him have the confidence to make those more flashy wow plays, but that will come with time as he finds his feet.

He'll be a great player. Talk of his limitations this early in his career are unfair I think, there's still plenty of development scope left for the young fella.

bornadog
15-07-2024, 12:34 PM
I am happy Ryley is getting games into him, it will do a lot of good for his future. He is averaging 16.5 disposals and has some good figures compared to other rising stars

2024 Statistical Rankings

● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Handballs Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=HB)
● Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=CL)

● Ranked 5th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=SP)
● Ranked 5th among rising stars in Tackles Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=TA)

● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=UP)
● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=CC)

● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=DI)
● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RA&st=ED)

● Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Total Tackles (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=TA)
● Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Clearances (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=CL)

● Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Handballs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=HB)
● Ranked 3rd among rising stars in Total Stoppage Clearances (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=SP)

● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=T5)
● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=CC)

● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Disposals (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=DI)
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Effective Disposals (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=ED)

● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=GA)
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Total Uncontested Possessions (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2024&rt=RT&st=UP)

Happy Days
15-07-2024, 12:53 PM
I don’t think he’s going that badly. His kicking has been very not good but he seems really composed in a contest and his hands to players leaving stoppage are really impressive.

Once he gets a little more faith in the amount of time he has to dispose the ball I think he will improve a lot very quickly.

hujsh
15-07-2024, 01:13 PM
Not true.

How so? Would be more useful if you expand on that stuff rather than just saying 'no' and moving on.

Didn't he quit the forum right when Rocket was sacked? He seemed to have a connection there occasionally getting inside word on things before they happened

azabob
15-07-2024, 01:14 PM
Anyyyywayyyyys posters of the past are the past....lets leave them in the past.....

I am sure a few will turn up during our next Grand Final week looking for that ticket to the game....

bornadog
15-07-2024, 01:47 PM
How so? Would be more useful if you expand on that stuff rather than just saying 'no' and moving on.

Didn't he quit the forum right when Rocket was sacked? He seemed to have a connection there occasionally getting inside word on things before they happened

I know him personally (as do a few others on WOOF), and he had his own reasons for leaving WOOF, which I feel it is not up to me to mention. However, I will say it had nothing to do with Rocket getting moved on.

Best we leave it there as it is not important.

mighty_west
15-07-2024, 02:06 PM
I think he's going fine, problem is that we see players like Daicos and Harley Reid come in and look like 100 game players from the start and seem to expect that for any high draftee, it's just so unrealistic to expect that, i think he'll be more than fine.

mjp
15-07-2024, 02:51 PM
I think he's going fine, problem is that we see players like Daicos and Harley Reid come in and look like 100 game players from the start and seem to expect that for any high draftee, it's just so unrealistic to expect that, i think he'll be more than fine.

How's he going at the moment?

Daicos is a different beast.

chef
15-07-2024, 02:56 PM
He seems like a wish version of Ashcroft. Hope he can develop his foot skills better as atm they have no hurt factor.

hujsh
15-07-2024, 03:06 PM
I know him personally (as do a few others on WOOF), and he had his own reasons for leaving WOOF, which I feel it is not up to me to mention. However, I will say it had nothing to do with Rocket getting moved on.

Best we leave it there as it is not important.

Okay, FWIW I did meet him a few times IRL as I played at the same footy club as his son.

SonofScray
15-07-2024, 07:23 PM

Two near misses in a week on the assassination front.

Grantysghost
15-07-2024, 07:44 PM
Two near misses in a week on the assassination front.
How's your ear?

The Bulldogs Bite
15-07-2024, 08:16 PM
Not worried about his stats. It's the eye test that I expected more.

I haven't seen him hurt the opposition by driving out of contest once and I haven't really seen him use the ball to the point where you stand up and take notice of his skill level.

I get he's young and will improve but I'm not sure how anyone could be convinced on what we've seen so far. That isn't even considering how much we invested to get him.

He has a long way to go before I'm remotely confident he'll make the grade.

soupman
15-07-2024, 08:43 PM
I think he's been ok, if not a little safe and vanilla.

I do think we'd feel a lot better if he had have had a few "moments", like a clever kick or works his way out of trouble or outbodies an opponent.

The pre season reports were so positive that I think it's just a matter of him getting used to the level, but definitely he has been underwhelming so far.

Scorlibo
15-07-2024, 11:32 PM
You would know as well as anyone Gary, but in the pre-season he was playing very differently in club scrimmages to what he is now. He was cracking in hard, taking running shots on goal and being much more aggressive with his running patterns and positioning.

I believe (the whisper is) after his first couple of games where he turned the ball over trying to bite off aggressive kicks inboard, he was told to cool his jets a bit, play his role and leave those sorts of kicks to our distributors. He was dropped, told to work on the defensive side of his game and he'd find a spot in the team where he was a role player.

He does have the attributes to be a game winner, but at the moment you can just see his first instinct is to do the team thing and move the ball on quickly and safely. I'd love to see him have the confidence to make those more flashy wow plays, but that will come with time as he finds his feet.

He'll be a great player. Talk of his limitations this early in his career are unfair I think, there's still plenty of development scope left for the young fella.

That all sounds about right to me. He was so impressive in those pre season games that the lack of impact with ball in hand since has been hard to grapple with from the outside.

In those games the one attribute that really struck me was his willingness to get the ball moving forward, and to have multiple efforts in the one chain to make that happen. Aggressive forward running with clean skills. It's a bit weird to reflect now on the season he's put together and realise that he's almost embodied the opposite of that approach. Very safe, not a heap of repeat efforts, heading sideways.

With young players it seems like there are two levers that the coaches typically pull - work on your deficits vs find/bring your strengths. I'm hoping that the season thus far has been one big 'work on your deficits' lever, and that we're not far away from seeing Ryley bring his strengths again.

lemmon
16-07-2024, 11:55 AM
That all sounds about right to me. He was so impressive in those pre season games that the lack of impact with ball in hand since has been hard to grapple with from the outside.

In those games the one attribute that really struck me was his willingness to get the ball moving forward, and to have multiple efforts in the one chain to make that happen. Aggressive forward running with clean skills. It's a bit weird to reflect now on the season he's put together and realise that he's almost embodied the opposite of that approach. Very safe, not a heap of repeat efforts, heading sideways.

With young players it seems like there are two levers that the coaches typically pull - work on your deficits vs find/bring your strengths. I'm hoping that the season thus far has been one big 'work on your deficits' lever, and that we're not far away from seeing Ryley bring his strengths again.

I think that's also a big reflection on the pace of pre-season games versus the pace of the season proper.

He's looked pretty rushed with ball in hand, and he's simply not quick. One thing he was able to do as a junior was burst through the front of contests, but I wrote at the time we drafted him that I can't see that happening at AFL level because he is pretty slow by foot and he was a well-developed youngster (and I was completely in favour of drafting him, despite that).

I think as an AFL footballer he'll live and die on his repeat effort running and ability to get to contests. I think Treloar is a terrific mentor because that's something that makes his game work - he gets contest to contest and never stops working. He doesn't have Treloar's pace, but I think Riley just needs to get fitter, leaner and grow that aspect of his game.

One part of his game that simply must get better is his intensity around the contest. It's 'optics' more than anything, but as a first-year player, you shouldn't be cruising through that many chases.

I thought he wasn't bad against the Blues - his inside game was alright and he seemed to do a bit of work on Cripps around the contest - but he shouldn't be playing ahead of someone like Garcia. He reminds me a bit of Adam Cerra - pretty good inside the contest and is a nice accumulator on the outside, but there are obvious aspects of his game that need to and will grow.

mighty_west
16-07-2024, 01:50 PM
How's he going at the moment?

Daicos is a different beast.

It was weird, Harley started slow for the first what, 5 or 6 rounds? then went bang in a big way, and now he's been brought back down to earth again, one could argue that Reid's best is so dynamic and exciting that perhaps it may be better than Daicos's best, but Nick a lot more consistent at such a high level.

You must be sick of reading about Harley everyday front page, back page in the papers every day over there mjp?

Angak
16-07-2024, 01:51 PM
If I was Garcia I would be furious that Sanders is playing ahead of me.

I liked Sanders coming out of the draft because he seemed to have time and space in congestion. He would take one or two steps and create space for himself. The speed of an AFL game has meant that every possession looks rushed. It's almost like he can't wait to get rid of it - doesn't matter where just get it forward looks like his current mindset.

At this stage of young midfielders career all your looking for is flashes of potential, I have yet to see any of that potential.

What gives me the biggest hope is the way his teammates were talking about him in preseason. Treloar couldn't have been more impressed with him on his podcast. JJ compared him to a mix of Libba and Pendlebury. Duryea had similar glowing comments and of course Bevo described him as the best first player he has ever had. I would suggest players and coaches wouldn't have made these comments unless they had seen some special things in training. I also think those comments heaped more pressure on him that haven't helped his development. Let's hope he settles and if by this time next year we are having a similar conversation then undoubtedly panic stations will kick in.

Mitcha
16-07-2024, 03:01 PM
If I was Garcia I would be furious that Sanders is playing ahead of me.

I liked Sanders coming out of the draft because he seemed to have time and space in congestion. He would take one or two steps and create space for himself. The speed of an AFL game has meant that every possession looks rushed. It's almost like he can't wait to get rid of it - doesn't matter where just get it forward looks like his current mindset.

At this stage of young midfielders career all your looking for is flashes of potential, I have yet to see any of that potential.

What gives me the biggest hope is the way his teammates were talking about him in preseason. Treloar couldn't have been more impressed with him on his podcast. JJ compared him to a mix of Libba and Pendlebury. Duryea had similar glowing comments and of course Bevo described him as the best first player he has ever had. I would suggest players and coaches wouldn't have made these comments unless they had seen some special things in training. I also think those comments heaped more pressure on him that haven't helped his development. Let's hope he settles and if by this time next year we are having a similar conversation then undoubtedly panic stations will kick in.

To be fair Bevo actually said he was the best PREPARED first year player he had seen, not actually the best player.

comrade
16-07-2024, 03:05 PM
Apologies if it?s been mentioned, but does anyone else see Mitch Wallis?

Angak
16-07-2024, 03:25 PM

I've heard a few people make this comparison. Loved Wallis but would be a poor return for a top 6 pick, especially given what we gave up to move up the draft.

lemmon
16-07-2024, 03:29 PM

Not having a go at you, Comrade, as he is a one-paced inside mid but would that still be the comparison we make if Sanders had a different hair cut?

I feel like a lot of the time we default back to 'x plays like x', there's a similar physical appearance as much as a stylistic similarity.

Sedat
16-07-2024, 03:52 PM
Maybe we are training Sanders on all the defensive-oriented aspects of the game and are judging him on progress in those metrics in his first year? That wouldn't come naturally to a first year player who would have been nothing but an attacking mid and ball accumulator throughout his junior career.

It's probably a slightly generous assessment but this is what I'm hoping, and that his natural attacking instincts will come to the fore in future seasons with the basis of a stronger defensive game also embedded.

DOG GOD
16-07-2024, 04:12 PM
I do. And I think he might have that same sort of career. His lack of pace concerns me for a young guy.

hujsh
16-07-2024, 04:21 PM
As early as round 1 it was clear Sanders has a bit of work to do to cope with the demands of AFL footy, which is true of most draftees. He seems to be getting a bit more used to it and doesn't seem as fatigued now as he was then but it seems pretty natural that while he's playing a tough role in his first year his best traits aren't going to shine as much.

I back him in once he's had 2-3 years in the system and getting a chance in the middle more to be more Mitchell and less Wallis.

Hotdog60
16-07-2024, 07:32 PM
Could he be a Lachie Neale in the future compare stats at the same age.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=20&playerStatus2=A&tid2=8&type=A&pid1=3694&pid2=7159&fid1=O&fid2=O

jeemak
16-07-2024, 08:40 PM
To be fair Bevo actually said he was the best PREPARED first year player he had seen, not actually the best player.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good yarn Mitcha.

jeemak
16-07-2024, 08:47 PM
Maybe we are training Sanders on all the defensive-oriented aspects of the game and are judging him on progress in those metrics in his first year? That wouldn't come naturally to a first year player who would have been nothing but an attacking mid and ball accumulator throughout his junior career.

It's probably a slightly generous assessment but this is what I'm hoping, and that his natural attacking instincts will come to the fore in future seasons with the basis of a stronger defensive game also embedded.

Isn't that exactly what the coach all but said when he was made to go back to the twos?

That's not to say the role he was asked to play when he played twos is exactly the same as his role in the seniors today, but probably more along the lines of being told that when you come back into the seniors you will do x, y and z or you'll be back in the twos.

The secondary roll-up midfielder role isn't an easy one to play. I'm sure he'd be a lot flashier if given a free run at ball hunting or playing behind the footy like many others of his ilk have been able to enjoy. But that's not his lot at the moment and he's doing pretty well in a difficult role.

jazzadogs
16-07-2024, 09:39 PM

I also suspect his willingness to commit to the defensive aspects (thinking positioning on the ground, containing his direct opponent at stoppages rather than ball hunting, etc) is why he is playing ahead of Garcia.

bornadog
16-07-2024, 10:01 PM
I also suspect his willingness to commit to the defensive aspects (thinking positioning on the ground, containing his direct opponent at stoppages rather than ball hunting, etc) is why he is playing ahead of Garcia.

Sanders was sent back to VFL to work on his defensive side, as has Garcia.

jazzadogs
17-07-2024, 08:51 AM
Sanders was sent back to VFL to work on his defensive side, as has Garcia.

I understand that. I'm just suggesting that Garcia might be putting up great numbers in the VFL, but also might be doing it in a way that is not conducive to the best team performance.

It comes back to Rocco's point about 'why are we playing guys in positions in VFL, that they will not be playing in AFL?'. Let Garcia practise the high half forward role that he would be playing in the senior side - we know he can play as an inside mid, but he's not pushing out Bont, Treloar, Libba at this stage.

Re: Sanders, I am comfortable with his progress. It hasn't been the smashing success of some other recent draftees across the comp, but he is committed and seems to be working hard.

jazzadogs
21-07-2024, 12:26 AM
The numbers were still not outstanding (17 touches, 6 tackles, 2 clearances, 0 marks) but I felt like I saw 'it' from Ryley a few times tonight. Great vision on a handball out to the wing, attacking contests with a bit more vigour. Give him another pre season or two and I'm not worried that he will be a player. The challenge is still on him to make sure that he is more Neale than Wallis though.

angelopetraglia
21-07-2024, 12:29 AM
What I liked tonight, he was calm with the footy in his hand under pressure and chose the right option nearly every time. Great game.

jeemak
21-07-2024, 02:01 AM
He was excellent early, involved in a lot of tight stuff, some came off and some didn't. But he was there which was important in the conditions.

His role around the stoppages is tightly controlled, and I'm almost seeing the change Lade is or was supposed to be bringing finally. It looks to me that everything is a bit more structured and role based between the arcs and Sanders has contributed to that.

Go_Dogs
21-07-2024, 08:15 AM
He’s going well. Solid game last night in tough conditions for a first year player.

jeemak
23-07-2024, 01:13 AM
How's he going vs. Rising Stars?

Ranked 1st among rising stars in Handballs Per Game
Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Tackles Per Game
Ranked 5th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
Ranked 6th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
Ranked 8th among rising stars in Disposals Per Game
Ranked 9th among rising stars in Effective Disposals Per Game
Ranked 10th among rising stars in Contested Possessions Per Game

Others who are more clued into the Rising Star pool will be able to tell us what that actually means vs. his draft competition and competition from other drafts, but these numbers don't stress me out too much given he's not being hidden or mollycoddled from a role perspective.

We've played our best football with him as part of our midfield mix.

Jasper
23-07-2024, 09:20 AM
He's a fine young player, looking forward to seeing how he goes well into the future with us.

comrade
23-07-2024, 10:05 AM
I?ve seen more of him the last few weeks beyond just a few passages here and there.

I thought he really contributed on the weekend and that incredible handball out of congestion to Vandermeer is a glimpse of what we can expect in the future.

You?d love him to push through contests more with his legs and pick out targets by foot more than he is, but that handball first mentality will hopefully evolve as he becomes more experienced and confident with his place in our mid group.

He?ll be fine.

Sedat
23-07-2024, 10:06 AM
His hands were very clean in heavy traffic on the weekend. Big improvement from the previous week against Carlton.

comrade
23-07-2024, 10:10 AM
He was excellent early, involved in a lot of tight stuff, some came off and some didn't. But he was there which was important in the conditions.

His role around the stoppages is tightly controlled, and I'm almost seeing the change Lade is or was supposed to be bringing finally. It looks to me that everything is a bit more structured and role based between the arcs and Sanders has contributed to that.

One thing I did notice against Geelong is our mids were much better at holding their position in tight rather than the old bees to the honeypot we?ve seen in the past. It was mainly Libba diving in head first, but Treloar and Sanders both stayed out waiting for it to bobble out. If we can continue to do that consistently for the rest of the year, we?ll go ok.

jeemak
23-07-2024, 02:04 PM
One thing I did notice against Geelong is our mids were much better at holding their position in tight rather than the old bees to the honeypot we?ve seen in the past. It was mainly Libba diving in head first, but Treloar and Sanders both stayed out waiting for it to bobble out. If we can continue to do that consistently for the rest of the year, we?ll go ok.

One of the first things I look for is whether we're doing that in an obvious way.

Angak
03-09-2024, 01:41 PM
Listening to Treloar on the Dyl and Friends podcast he talked about how he still thinks Sanders is going to be a star.