View Full Version : WOOF Welcomes Ryley Sanders to the Kennel

Pages : 1 [2]

Dazza
23-02-2024, 03:56 PM
First time I've seen him play today.

Kids a gun! Haven't been this excited about a draftee since Smith

Vred
23-02-2024, 06:47 PM
He could be anything, moves like Judd, skills like Bont.

Power really, really nailed this selection, put him on a 10 year contract and let the man go to work.

ledge
23-02-2024, 06:58 PM
He could be anything, moves like Judd, skills like Bont.

Power really, really nailed this selection, put him on a 10 year contract and let the man go to work.

Hopefully his body holds out more like Bont than Judd , at times Judd was a walking Mummy.

Glove38
29-02-2024, 10:41 PM
First time I've seen him play today.

Kids a gun! Haven't been this excited about a draftee since Smith

Me too - kid looks a star

ledge
29-02-2024, 11:28 PM
Me too - kid looks a star

Lachlan Smith ? Rohan Smith ? Roarke Smith ? Bailey Smith ?

jeemak
29-02-2024, 11:56 PM
Are you saying he can hit key forwards on the tit?

I imagine his fourth year highlight committee meeting will be tough. So many tit-hitting examples to choose from!

ledge
01-03-2024, 11:01 AM
We have heaps that are tit hitting, just it’s the opposition backman’s tit .

Glove38
01-03-2024, 01:52 PM
Lachlan Smith ? Rohan Smith ? Roarke Smith ? Bailey Smith ?

I was excited when Rohan burst on the scene - magnificent mullet, but i was referring to Baz :)

MrMahatma
01-03-2024, 03:40 PM
I was excited when Rohan burst on the scene - magnificent mullet, but i was referring to Baz :)

I've been a Smith fan and am really hopeful we keep him. I think the stars are aligning though that Sanders will have a more immediate on field impact for us.

EasternWest
01-03-2024, 04:25 PM
I imagine his fourth year highlight committee meeting will be tough. So many tit-hitting examples to choose from!

Hitting tits is the shit.

Thatl be Ryley's epitaph.

Can Bar
09-03-2024, 11:07 AM
Really Happy with this selection, all the hype and his style of play are needed. A thought for the future. If he does continue on a high performance trajectory. Does he become target number 1, for the new Tassie Franchise in a few years? Will we get shafted by the AFL like we did with Ward, crap compensation. Is this why other clubs may have opted not to take him earlier?

josie
09-03-2024, 11:21 AM
Really Happy with this selection, all the hype and his style of play are needed. A thought for the future. If he does continue on a high performance trajectory. Does he become target number 1, for the new Tassie Franchise in a few years? Will we get shafted by the AFL like we did with Ward, crap compensation. Is this why other clubs may have opted not to take him earlier?

With likely delays (argy bargy who pays b/w state, federal, astronomical cost, upset locals who think money best spent more wisely) I think Tassie team is 5+ years away. It was line ball I reckon b/w Watson and Saunders for Hawks and I?d guess most of us think both will be good players. If Saunders quickly becomes a gun I think it?s unlikely we?ll get shafted as badly as Ward case. Can see Tassie given early drafts though like GWS & GC did so yeah might not be as good as should be. If he helps win a premiership or two before he goes home all will be forgiven.

josie
09-03-2024, 11:22 AM
With likely delays (argy bargy who pays b/w state, federal, astronomical cost, upset locals who think money best spent more wisely) I think Tassie team is 5+ years away. It was line ball I reckon b/w Watson and Saunders for Hawks and I?d guess most of us think both will be good players. If Saunders quickly becomes a gun I think it?s unlikely we?ll get shafted as badly as Ward case. Can see Tassie given early drafts though like GWS & GC did so yeah might not be as good as should be. If he helps win a premiership or two before he goes home all will be forgiven.

Maybe not forgiven but will make loss smidge more palatable.

Can Bar
09-03-2024, 01:57 PM
With likely delays (argy bargy who pays b/w state, federal, astronomical cost, upset locals who think money best spent more wisely) I think Tassie team is 5+ years away. It was line ball I reckon b/w Watson and Saunders for Hawks and I?d guess most of us think both will be good players. If Saunders quickly becomes a gun I think it?s unlikely we?ll get shafted as badly as Ward case. Can see Tassie given early drafts though like GWS & GC did so yeah might not be as good as should be. If he helps win a premiership or two before he goes home all will be forgiven. Ill take 3 flags, 1 Norm Smith for Sanders, pick 1 & 2. would make me feel like we break even.

Bigdog
09-03-2024, 04:53 PM
Probably wishful thinking, but If Sanders has a first year like a Selwood or N.Daicos and our other mids stay fit we will go deep. I would back us for a flag.

It?s amazing how good young players can re-energize a team.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 01:16 PM
Good luck in your debut and long career with the Dogs.

Axe Man
14-03-2024, 03:05 PM

If we keep Sanders and send Nathan Saunders to Tassie I will be fine with that. ;)

Testekill
14-03-2024, 03:17 PM
Sanders debuting this week was as predictable as they come, he has been one of the clear stars.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-03-2024, 03:26 PM

Firstly, we shafted ourselves with Ward by lowballing him. That was on us.

On Sanders, he was taken where expected in the draft. Everyone taken before him was fully expected so he didn't necessarily "slide" to us. The top 7 of the draft were elite and I'm guessing that's why we pulled the trigger on the lopsided trade with gold coast.

I think he will certainly be a primary target once the Tassie team is ready to launch. But that's still some time away. You don't turn away from his talent just because there's a remote risk years away. Our time is now and he fits that timeline.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 03:28 PM
Sanders debuting this week was as predictable as they come, he has been one of the clear stars.

When was the last time our first round draft pick debuted in the first game?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-03-2024, 03:30 PM
When was the last time our first round draft pick debuted in the first game?

Naughts?

Actually Bailey Smith.

Both played Rd 1 their first season.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 03:33 PM
Naughts?

Actually Bailey Smith.

Both played Rd 1 their first season.

Yes, correct.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-03-2024, 04:12 PM
Yes, correct.

Was that a test? :D

bornadog
14-03-2024, 04:18 PM
Was that a test? :D

I actually couldn't remember, and checked after you posted

hujsh
14-03-2024, 04:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/S4lik1JOUaI

Grantysghost
14-03-2024, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/S4lik1JOUaI

Look at those beautiful chompers!

Grantysghost
14-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Firstly, we shafted ourselves with Ward by lowballing him. That was on us.

On Sanders, he was taken where expected in the draft. Everyone taken before him was fully expected so he didn't necessarily "slide" to us. The top 7 of the draft were elite and I'm guessing that's why we pulled the trigger on the lopsided trade with gold coast.

I think he will certainly be a primary target once the Tassie team is ready to launch. But that's still some time away. You don't turn away from his talent just because there's a remote risk years away. Our time is now and he fits that timeline.

Ward was going no matter what - you chuck a mill at a kid that age that aren't going to be loyal after a couple of years.

Sanders, well lets hope by the time it all comes around he's well and truly entrenched and a premiership captain!!

jeemak
16-03-2024, 07:00 AM
Look at those beautiful chompers!

How's his office!

"If I didn't know any better I'd say he's building a fortress or maybe a fox hole because he's bad at coaching." Kane Cornes.

The Underdog
17-03-2024, 05:11 PM
Hitting tits is the shit.

Thatl be Ryley's epitaph.

Based on today, we might need some bigger tits.

ledge
17-03-2024, 05:33 PM
Based on today, we might need some bigger tits.

Accumulater but no hard body yet, he got his first taste of real footy today, he made some shockers, but he also did some good things.
Would I play him next week ? Good question but I think others will be dropped before him.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 05:34 PM
Accumulater but no hard body yet, he got his first taste of real footy today, he made some shockers, but he also did some good things.
Would I play him next week ? Good question but I think others will be dropped before him.

They way Bevo spoke in the presser. He is playing next week.

jazzadogs
17-03-2024, 05:40 PM

Absolutely you play him again next week. He looked absolutely spent by the time he got subbed, but that's an 18yo playing full time mid on a 30deg day.

He should play every single game that he is fit for.

lemmon
17-03-2024, 06:15 PM
Absolutely you play him again next week. He looked absolutely spent by the time he got subbed, but that's an 18yo playing full time mid on a 30deg day.

He should play every single game that he is fit for.

Agreed. Thought he was good for a half and looked pretty buggered in the third. Most of the other first rounders are playing on a flank, so no shame in being cooked making your debut as a full-time mid.

westbulldog
17-03-2024, 07:00 PM
He absolutely stays, his debut was ok, he has the talent.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 07:07 PM
The second coming in Harley Reid only had 16 touches today. It was a more than adequate debut. He plays next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2024, 07:19 PM
Tough conditions for an 18 year old to debut in. Very hot, seasoned opposition, little respite from our core - it's a hard introduction to the game but he'll be better for it as early as next week.

Scorlibo
17-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Strange to think of any debutant as having a 'standard' but I reckon Ryley played well below his today. Through the practice games and the intra club hitouts he has been so proactive, even aggressive, with ball in hand. Today he was clearly overwhelmed by the occasion, and possibly by the heat. He'll be better for the run and I'd back him in to shoot the lights out next week in a less overwhelming Ballarat environment.

bornadog
17-03-2024, 09:44 PM
Strange to think of any debutant as having a 'standard' but I reckon Ryley played well below his today. Through the practice games and the intra club hitouts he has been so proactive, even aggressive, with ball in hand. Today he was clearly overwhelmed by the occasion, and possibly by the heat. He'll be better for the run and I'd back him in to shoot the lights out next week in a less overwhelming Ballarat environment.

Spot on - overwhelmed he certainly was.

bornadog
17-03-2024, 09:45 PM

Spot on - overwhelmed he certainly was. Still picked up 15 in 3/4, more than Bailey Smith did in his first game

jeemak
18-03-2024, 12:04 AM
From twenty minutes into the first to the point he went off it would have been the biggest slog of his life. He'll be at home with a flannel on his head, eyes spinning right now.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 05:34 PM
Sanders in his fourth match had 23 touches from only 64% game time. Definitely a ball magnet. He had the fourth most touches against Geelong after Treloar, Libba and Bont but had the second least game time (outside the subs). Only Sam Darcy had less game time.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-04-2024, 05:39 PM
Sanders in his fourth match had 23 touches from only 64% game time. Definitely a ball magnet. He had the fourth most touches against Geelong after Treloar, Libba and Bont but had the second least game time (outside the subs). Only Sam Darcy had less game time.

Sanders had a lot of his disposals sharked unfortunately. He certainly knows how to find the ball though.

The million dollar question is going to be what is his ceiling?

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 05:45 PM
Sanders against Geelong. He went at 74% disposal effeciency.

Libba 65% DE
Bont 60% DE
Treloar 60% DE

50% of Sanders possesions were contested (Libba 80%, Bont 40%, Treloar 30%)

ledge
08-04-2024, 05:57 PM
Seems the club is happy to let Sanders play in the seniors getting the average stats for a midfield and be on the bench a lot instead of playing him in the VFL getting more game time and more possessions.
Macrae is suffering for it.
Before I get hammered for this post , I am in no way having a go at Sanders, my point is Macrae can play longer in a game and has experience.
Going on Bevos prove yourself in the twos Macrae couldn’t do any more than he did in the twos to push Sanders out.
Do we think Sanders might get dropped at all to get more game time and pick up more possessions ?
Sanders is clean and great awareness etc but I’m not sure I see the urgency we get out of our other mids in him yet.

angelopetraglia
08-04-2024, 06:04 PM
Seems the club is happy to let Sanders play in the seniors getting the average stats for a midfield and be on the bench a lot instead of playing him in the VFL getting more game time and more possessions.
Before I get hammered for this post , I am in no way having a go at Sanders, my point is Macrae can play longer in a game and has experience.
Going on Bevos prove yourself in the twos Macrae couldn’t do any more than he did in the twos to push Sanders out.
Do we think Sanders might get dropped at all to get more game time and pick up more possessions ?
Sanders is clean and great awareness etc but I’m not sure I see the urgency we get out of our other mids in him yet.

It is a great point and an important perspective to contemplate. If you were 100% in for the now you would probably play Macrae. But you always need to be working towards a future state too. If you get games into him in the AFL, what can he become in a short period of time.

The match committee is also probably making a call that they are not giving that much up with giving Sanders some time versus what Macrae's output is. They are giving a little up, but the long term benefit outweighs the small short term upside. Particulary when you consider that your three best mids are 28, 31 and 31.

Macrae is 29. Sanders is 19.

ledge
08-04-2024, 09:17 PM
It is a great point and an important perspective to contemplate. If you were 100% in for the now you would probably play Macrae. But you always need to be working towards a future state too. If you get games into him in the AFL, what can he become in a short period of time.

The match committee is also probably making a call that they are not giving that much up with giving Sanders some time versus what Macrae's output is. They are giving a little up, but the long term benefit outweighs the small short term upside. Particulary when you consider that your three best mids are 28, 31 and 31.

Macrae is 29. Sanders is 19.

It’s a shuffle , important games against big bodied teams like Geelong, I think Macrae needs to be there.
I understand the age thing and I believe we need Smith for that reason as well but is it going to hurt to drop Sanders this early in his career to get more practice in the VFL for a game here and there ? Let’s face it he will get 30 to 40 possessions in the twos to practice his game and position where as in the AFL it’s about 60% and 20 odd possessions and no room for error.

jeemak
08-04-2024, 09:20 PM

Awesome post ledge.

kruder
08-04-2024, 09:28 PM
Yeah Sanders, Darcy and to a degree Gags are having low TOG, wonder how its impacting others?

jeemak
08-04-2024, 09:45 PM
Yeah Sanders, Darcy and to a degree Gags are having low TOG, wonder how its impacting others?

Reckon Darcy at 55% is probably impacting Tim a bit. Especially against the likes of Stanley who can run all day.

GVGjr
08-04-2024, 10:48 PM

Against West Coast Bont played a fair bit up forward and Liberatore only 3 quarters so I think we are managing it okay.
It might become clearer after 3 weeks of 6 day breaks.

westbulldog
09-04-2024, 12:31 AM
Imo Sanders would be wasted playing VFL. As much as I greatly admire Macrae his pace and form seems to have dropped off.

ledge
09-04-2024, 10:08 AM
Against West Coast Bont played a fair bit up forward and Liberatore only 3 quarters so I think we are managing it okay.
It might become clearer after 3 weeks of 6 day breaks.

I?m a bit hesitant to talk about the WC game as they are so bad even our bottom tier players had great games, which gave us a bit of a false sense of where we actually are.
Don?t get me wrong I think we have improved but Bramble and VDM were very ordinary against Geelong.

ledge
09-04-2024, 10:10 AM
Imo Sanders would be wasted playing VFL. As much as I greatly admire Macrae his pace and form seems to have dropped off.

I’m not sure how you can tell with Macrae . Half a game he played and got involved, we definitely came good in the middle when he came on.
40 possession games in the twos.

Mantis
09-04-2024, 10:23 AM
I’m not sure how you can tell with Macrae . Half a game he played and got involved, we definitely came good in the middle when he came on.

Macrae had 1 kick (& 5 handballs) and 1 clearance when he came on so not sure he contributed to the spike you feel occurred when he was introduced into the game.

Anyway we watch on with interest to how the MC viewed his game when the teams are announced in a couple of days time.

Scorlibo
09-04-2024, 08:26 PM

23% of game time for Jacko, and had the third highest player rating per minute played, narrowly behind Bont and Libba. He raised his stocks in my view.

mighty_west
09-04-2024, 09:11 PM

It's a tough one as it's not as though Ryley's form has dropped off and needs confidence back but i reckon he may find a game or two in the VFL later on given his fitness wouldn't be at a great level as yet, he looked cooked round one when he was subbed and he's even now still playing limited game time to perhaps not burn him out and not having to sub him off each time which could be a confidence killer after a while.

But more than happy with what he's produced so far and he probably gets or close to 30 possies most games if he played a lot more game time.

With Jacko, as what Bevo said the midfield mix hasn't been working for a few seasons so obviously trying different players and Jack is the first victim, as it seems his ability to influence a game has dropped off, yeah he may get the numbers but does he actually help influence a game? Does he defend well enough? Caleb to some extent too?