15, no surprises

bornadog
20-11-2023, 09:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F_Xhwb3bYAAkqln?format=jpg&name=900x900

bornadog
20-11-2023, 09:45 PM
As expected.

A double welcome :D

https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?23897-Welcome-to-the-Western-Bulldogs-Jordan-Croft

bulldogtragic
20-11-2023, 09:50 PM
Cost:

1/3 - GCS trade for one third rounder
1/3 - Sweet pick, third rounder
1/3 - From Dunkley originally, then through Coffield trade for a third rounder

Cheap. Still have two thirds, currently 45, 48 plus 60 back.

hujsh
20-11-2023, 09:51 PM
Best defender we ever drafted is what they say in 15 years time.

josie
20-11-2023, 09:55 PM
Welcome Jordan. Look forward to yelling our Croft-e-e-e.

He?s got stove pipe arms, a build that reminds me a bit of Dustin Fletcher, let?s hope he is that good.

ledge
20-11-2023, 10:00 PM
He is still very raw in my eyes, has a lot to work on before he gets a game I would think , but we have time.

Eastdog
20-11-2023, 10:35 PM
Welcome Jordan.

Go_Dogs
21-11-2023, 07:51 AM
Interested to see where we play and develop him over the summer. He may get more Footscray opportunities as a forward, however better AFL opportunities as a defender. How we manage that will be interesting.

ledge
21-11-2023, 09:07 AM
Interested to see where we play and develop him over the summer. He may get more Footscray opportunities as a forward, however better AFL opportunities as a defender. How we manage that will be interesting.

From his highlights he is very quick to get in a tackle, just needs to build his body so he isn’t easily shaken off , I would be setting him to be a CHB and maybe DArcy at FB . But both can be moved forward if needed.

macca
21-11-2023, 09:18 AM
Did anyone bid on him ?

Grantysghost
21-11-2023, 09:19 AM
Did anyone bid on him ?

Swans at 15

The Doctor
21-11-2023, 09:26 AM
Great to have the name Croft on our list again. Welcome Jordan.

Now let's have a quiet word to his brother Mitch.

azabob
21-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Great to have the name Croft on our list again. Welcome Jordan.

Now let's have a quiet word to his brother Mitch.

A very quite word, very very quite.

lemmon
21-11-2023, 09:35 AM
He's going to be a really interesting player to develop. I wonder if there's half a chance we might be thinking ruck rather than key defence? His running capacity and competitiveness are pretty good traits in there.

I think we'll probably see his first few years be similar to Darcy - spending time in the three parts of the ground and letting his best spot develop fairly organically.

bulldogtragic
21-11-2023, 09:51 AM
I loved hearing Milesi say he’s a little aggressive and once he enters the field can play with “the red mist”.

I like an angry big guy to throw his eventual weight around.

bornadog
21-11-2023, 12:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-ousIGiKhI

Bulldog4life
21-11-2023, 04:10 PM

Yes Agree with this Go Dogs.

hujsh
21-11-2023, 07:04 PM
Another video of them discussing Crof (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1467511/recruiters-discuss-jordan-croft?videoId=1467511&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700528700001)t

azabob
21-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Another video of them discussing Crof (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1467511/recruiters-discuss-jordan-croft?videoId=1467511&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1700528700001)t

Link game strong

bornadog
21-11-2023, 07:57 PM
Link game strong

Can he play HFF

bornadog
02-12-2023, 12:40 PM
Q&A with Sam and Dom. Dom says Croft will be tried in backline as well as forward to see where he fits. Played defence as a junior but forward the last two years

Mavericks
02-12-2023, 12:48 PM
Q&A with Sam and Dom. Dom says Croft will be tried in backline as well as forward to see where he fits. Played defence as a junior but forward the last two years that makes sense, his attributes are elite for a key defender. I see him in the Andrew mode. My preference is we develop him down there in 2024. He and JOD would make a great defensive duo.

Mofra
02-12-2023, 02:22 PM
Q&A with Sam and Dom. Dom says Croft will be tried in backline as well as forward to see where he fits. Played defence as a junior but forward the last two years
It also makes sense because he isn't a great kick for goal from the games I've seen. Plus our tall defenders play a high TOG game and he's an elite runner, let alone an elite runner for his size.

LifeLongBulldog
02-12-2023, 03:31 PM
Do you think you could please post the Q&A video with Sam and Dom discussing the draft? Would be very interested to see their analysis of how we went in the draft.

Dazza
02-12-2023, 10:36 PM
It also makes sense because he isn't a great kick for goal from the games I've seen. Plus our tall defenders play a high TOG game and he's an elite runner, let alone an elite runner for his size.

Albeit I've only seen highlights but his pace looks very solid for a guy his height. Everything I've heard about him translates well in defence. Competitive, hard runner etc.

hujsh
02-12-2023, 10:54 PM
Albeit I've only seen highlights but his pace looks very solid for a guy his height. Everything I've heard about him translates well in defence. Competitive, hard runner etc.

Likewise he seems to have flaws that would make it hard for his game to translate to AFL level as a forward. But as a defender, on paper, he seems a perfect fit

jeemak
03-12-2023, 03:55 AM
Is he somewhat like Noah Balta? He was apparently one of only, if not the only player at Richmond who hadn't won a premiership until 2020.

Sorry if my memory is a little hazy, it was a key stat that didn't seem to get mentioned on the day.

bornadog
03-12-2023, 09:54 AM
Do you think you could please post the Q&A video with Sam and Dom discussing the draft? Would be very interested to see their analysis of how we went in the draft.

There was a link sent to all members. I will try and find it.

mighty_west
07-12-2023, 04:22 PM
What is it with fathers producing beanpoles, first Brian who was only around 183cm and Ayce over 200, now Crofty 191cm with son Jordon also towering over the old man at 200, crazy!

So impressed with his pace for his size, if he makes it he's going to be hard to play on, just needs to fill out a lot, don't think we'll see alot in his first few seasons.

Twodogs
10-12-2023, 01:32 PM
What is it with fathers producing beanpoles, first Brian who was only around 183cm and Ayce over 200, now Crofty 191cm with son Jordon also towering over the old man at 200, crazy!

So impressed with his pace for his size, if he makes it he's going to be hard to play on, just needs to fill out a lot, don't think we'll see alot in his first few seasons.

It's not just ex players either. My son towers over me.

Stevo
10-12-2023, 02:01 PM

It's a rare combination or athletic ability to have it so visible in someone so young. Its a real contrast to when Darcy arrived.

hujsh
12-12-2023, 01:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtuFlNUAQ84&ab_channel=FootyStuff

He still seems pretty raw but looks quite the athlete. Can see the competitiveness.

Flipper
15-12-2023, 02:14 PM
I've seen a few people wondering why Croft wasn't training at the start of preseason. Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, I can't see the main training thread, but he had COVID. Hopefully no lingering effects. I've heard suggestions that one of the reasons Keath dropped away so quickly was due to lingering COVID symptoms.

Flipper
15-12-2023, 02:19 PM
Is he somewhat like Noah Balta? He was apparently one of only, if not the only player at Richmond who hadn't won a premiership until 2020.

Sorry if my memory is a little hazy, it was a key stat that didn't seem to get mentioned on the day.

I don't think he's as strong as Balta overhead. Most of Crofts marks would have come on the lead. He's probably not as good a kick as Balta either. That's one of Crofts weaknesses and something he'll have to work on. Very inconsistent ball drop.

He's probably more agile and better at ground level then Balta although he might lose that a little as he bulks up.
One of the reasons I like him as a defender is he's really quick to recover and get back into contests and he stays low when the ball is on the ground so he stays agile and can tackle smaller players without giving away free kicks. Also a real competitor so you can see he'd have the right mindset to defend.

Bullies
15-12-2023, 02:41 PM
I don't think he's as strong as Balta overhead. Most of Crofts marks would have come on the lead. He's probably not as good a kick as Balta either. That's one of Crofts weaknesses and something he'll have to work on. Very inconsistent ball drop.

He's probably more agile and better at ground level then Balta although he might lose that a little as he bulks up.
One of the reasons I like him as a defender is he's really quick to recover and get back into contests and he stays low when the ball is on the ground so he stays agile and can tackle smaller players without giving away free kicks. Also a real competitor so you can see he'd have the right mindset to defend. Croft will fit in well in the forward line then with an inconsistent ball drop.

Bulldog Joe
15-12-2023, 03:54 PM

One of the reasons I like him as a defender is he's really quick to recover and get back into contests and he stays low when the ball is on the ground so he stays agile and can tackle smaller players without giving away free kicks. Also a real competitor so you can see he'd have the right mindset to defend.

Thanks for the observations.

Perhaps a couple of years with the big boys will develop the additional strength he will need.

From what I have read he is high class in the speed/endurance for his height. Would that be on the case?

Flipper
15-12-2023, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the observations.

Perhaps a couple of years with the big boys will develop the additional strength he will need.

From what I have read he is high class in the speed/endurance for his height. Would that be on the case?

Yeah I think you can almost remove 'for his height' from that statement.
Was 4th the 2k time trial so elite endurance.
Don't think he tested super fast for the 20m sprint but I feel like those results are often pretty unreliable. Definitely looks fast and agile on the field.

Bulldog Joe
15-12-2023, 05:37 PM
Yeah I think you can almost remove 'for his height' from that statement.
Was 4th the 2k time trial so elite endurance.
Don't think he tested super fast for the 20m sprint but I feel like those results are often pretty unreliable. Definitely looks fast and agile on the field.

I always find the 20m sprint an interesting thing to test. Some have terrific acceleration to reach top speed within the first few strides, while others need more time to wind up.

On the footy field it is not usual thing to sprint from a standing start except perhaps forwards on the lead.

Mostly players have momentum before receiving the ball and being able to go at top speed then is important.

When you test for a 20 metre sprint the important speed is the last 10 or 15 after players have got to top speed.

Players like Lewis Jetta and Cyril Rioli would run away from players when at top speed. Jetta actually did that to Rioli in the 2012 GF.

Mofra
15-12-2023, 08:40 PM
I always find the 20m sprint an interesting thing to test. Some have terrific acceleration to reach top speed within the first few strides, while others need more time to wind up.

On the footy field it is not usual thing to sprint from a standing start except perhaps forwards on the lead.

Mostly players have momentum before receiving the ball and being able to go at top speed then is important.

When you test for a 20 metre sprint the important speed is the last 10 or 15 after players have got to top speed.

Players like Lewis Jetta and Cyril Rioli would run away from players when at top speed. Jetta actually did that to Rioli in the 2012 GF.
It may be positional - Bont is terrible over the first 10m but is so smart he just knows how to hit where the ball is with pace, so you don't notice it in play.

And who can ever forget the famous comment re: Justin Sherman - "he has pace and uses it to run straight to the opposition".

I think Croft's goal kicking is (ahem) "problematic" and with his natural endurance and our propensity to play our defenders "high" he actually fits our defensive system well.

Twodogs
16-12-2023, 06:38 PM

Looking at his highlights reel his agility seems as good as any player of any size.

Flipper
16-12-2023, 09:37 PM

Yeah exactly and some players get sprinting coaches in to help them get the best results. Over 20m the reaction to the start gun can have a significant impact and even though they take the best of 3 some players are just better at reacting to the start.

The agility test is also a bit inaccurate because the players just have to weave between evenly spaced posts. It doesn't resemble anything like real match scenarios

Vred
18-12-2023, 02:17 AM
Looks to be training as a defender predominantly. Darcy Moore 2.0?

jazzadogs
14-06-2024, 01:45 PM
Sam Landsberger is running with concerns that Croft has 7-8 concussions in his junior career, and that this latest concussion is being treated very seriously.

Apparently 'Crofts camp' say it was only one, but other recruiters believe he had a lot more.

Is anyone on here able to clarify? The black and white nature of concussion retirements, as opposed to someone like Clay Smith being allowed to attempt a 3rd or 4th ACL repair, is going to make clubs and players a lot more nervous about histories like what has been reported.

Bullies
14-06-2024, 02:29 PM
Sam Landsberger is running with concerns that Croft has 7-8 concussions in his junior career, and that this latest concussion is being treated very seriously.

Apparently 'Crofts camp' say it was only one, but other recruiters believe he had a lot more.

Is anyone on here able to clarify? The black and white nature of concussion retirements, as opposed to someone like Clay Smith being allowed to attempt a 3rd or 4th ACL repair, is going to make clubs and players a lot more nervous about histories like what has been reported. He probably plays like his old man with no fear and straight through. i'd say his old man would have copped a few concussions in his time but in those days it was shake it off and up you get. Very under rated was his old man.

Bigdog
16-06-2024, 02:58 PM

Is anyone on here able to clarify? The black and white nature of concussion retirements, as opposed to someone like Clay Smith being allowed to attempt a 3rd or 4th ACL repair, is going to make clubs and players a lot more nervous about histories like what has been reported.
Sam Landsberger would know, but Croft should?ve never been drafted by any club if he?d already had 7-8 concussions.

That?s insane for an 18 year old to have. If his concussion prone at juniors his a hell of a lot more likely to get them against men when the game is sped up.