PDA

View Full Version : Afl - w 2024

Pages : [1] 2

Hotdog60
02-02-2024, 10:00 AM
Why you may have seen AFLW players hit the training track lately

It's a long off-season for AFLW players, but some are hitting the training track already

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/01/10d9dec4-5d1a-4572-a320-a8dcf65047d4/AFL-x-AFLW-Kings-Park-Hill-Run-27-January-19-web-1-.jpeg?width=1064&height=600

SEEN a few pics on social media of AFLW players in training?

We may be well into the off-season ? the Brisbane Lions having won the flag two months ago ? but a number of clubs are facilitating optional, once-a-week run-throughs.

The AFLW pre-season is likely to once again begin in late May, meaning a seven-month off-season for teams who didn't make finals.

In order to help build connection among new teammates and break up the monotony of solo running for fitness maintenance, clubs have previously run these voluntary sessions.

This year is the first time AFLW players are on 12-month contracts, acknowledging the fitness and strength work that goes into the off-season.

Fremantle held a combined AFL/W running session over the hills at Kings Park over the weekend.

Fresh West Coast coach Daisy Pearce has already hit the track with her new charges, working closely with young gun Ella Roberts.

Select Essendon players hit the track at the Hanger for the first time on Tuesday, with some Geelong players having a kick around on GMHBA Stadium.

Richmond players were also spotted watching on at the men's match simulation on Wednesday.
LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1074376/why-you-may-have-seen-aflw-players-hit-the-training-track-lately)

There are some Instagram links through the article.

If other clubs are shopping early are we going to be behind the eight ball again in regards to fitness and skill work.

ledge
02-02-2024, 11:53 AM
Why you may have seen AFLW players hit the training track lately

It's a long off-season for AFLW players, but some are hitting the training track already

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/01/10d9dec4-5d1a-4572-a320-a8dcf65047d4/AFL-x-AFLW-Kings-Park-Hill-Run-27-January-19-web-1-.jpeg?width=1064&height=600

SEEN a few pics on social media of AFLW players in training?

We may be well into the off-season ? the Brisbane Lions having won the flag two months ago ? but a number of clubs are facilitating optional, once-a-week run-throughs.

The AFLW pre-season is likely to once again begin in late May, meaning a seven-month off-season for teams who didn't make finals.

In order to help build connection among new teammates and break up the monotony of solo running for fitness maintenance, clubs have previously run these voluntary sessions.

This year is the first time AFLW players are on 12-month contracts, acknowledging the fitness and strength work that goes into the off-season.

Fremantle held a combined AFL/W running session over the hills at Kings Park over the weekend.

Fresh West Coast coach Daisy Pearce has already hit the track with her new charges, working closely with young gun Ella Roberts.

Select Essendon players hit the track at the Hanger for the first time on Tuesday, with some Geelong players having a kick around on GMHBA Stadium.

Richmond players were also spotted watching on at the men's match simulation on Wednesday.
LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1074376/why-you-may-have-seen-aflw-players-hit-the-training-track-lately)

There are some Instagram links through the article.

If other clubs are shopping early are we going to be behind the eight ball again in regards to fitness and skill work.

And no coach yet .

Axe Man
02-02-2024, 05:40 PM
Dogs begin hunt for new head of women's footy (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1074374/dogs-begin-hunt-for-new-head-of-womens-footy)

A recent review of the Western Bulldogs found the need for a women's footy boss, with the search already underway

THE SEARCH is underway for the Western Bulldogs' next head of women's football.

The Dogs have not had a designated AFLW boss since the departure of Debbie Lee in 2022 and a recent review highlighted the need for a general manager of women's football to be appointed.

The role will have operational responsibility for the women's program - including both AFLW and VFLW - and report into executive director of football Chris Grant, who will continue to have oversight of the women's program.

Applications for the role closed last week, with the Dogs' selection panel looking for a candidate with leadership experience and previous management of AFL or AFLW programs. A passion for and commitment to women's football is also a high priority.

Lee previously held the position from 2017 to 2022, with the Bulldogs winning the AFLW premiership in the first season of her reign.

She left the Bulldogs to take up a role with the AFL, and while key parts of the job have been absorbed by other roles, there has not been a designated head of women's football at the club.

The club is also searching for a new AFLW coach after Nathan Burke was sacked at the end of the 2023 season.

mjp
03-02-2024, 03:22 PM
Surely we select a Head of Footy, then the Head of Footy is the key person involved in choosing the new coach....

And surely we could like, get a move on?

Axe Man
05-02-2024, 10:11 AM
If anybody is watching the current series of Survivor I believe that Kirby was formerly our VFLW coach. Nathan Freeman (St Kilda & Collingwood) also on there.

GVGjr
15-02-2024, 04:30 PM
Someone I was talking to yesterday at training said that Chris Grant indicated our AFLW coach will be announced early next week.
I don't know who it will be though.

bornadog
15-02-2024, 06:47 PM
Someone I was talking to yesterday at training said that Chris Grant indicated our AFLW coach will be announced early next week.

Ameet said the same in that article posted up.

ledge
15-02-2024, 07:05 PM

Laidley was mentioned as one who was being looked at and a woman but can’t remember who it was.

Axe Man
16-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Bulldogs appoint Tamara Hyett as AFLW head coach (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1490320/bulldogs-appoint-tamara-hyett-as-aflwheadcoach)

The Western Bulldogs are delighted to announce the appointment of Tamara Hyett as AFLW senior coach.

Hyett, a former professional golfer, has spent the last four seasons serving as an assistant coach of Melbourne?s AFLW team, building a wealth of knowledge and experience within the competition and playing a key role in the Demons? premiership-winning campaign in 2022.

Prior to this, she was head coach of the Sandringham Dragons Girls team for three years. 

Hyett was also a recipient of the AFLCA women?s coaching pathway scholarship in 2022.

?We?re thrilled to welcome Tamara to the red, white and blue as our AFLW senior coach,? said Chris Grant, Bulldogs Executive Director of Football.

?Tamara has a wealth of knowledge and coaching experience, particularly in women?s football, as well as a lived understanding of what it takes to be a professional athlete.

?Leading one of the competition?s best backlines at Melbourne and being involved in a successful AFLW program over a long period puts Tamara in good stead to take this team forward and guide the improvement of a talented bunch of women.

?We can?t wait to see Tamara make this program her own.?

Bulldogs CEO Ameet Bains echoed Grant?s sentiments as Hyett prepares to take the helm of the AFLW team ahead of the 2024 season.

?We?re extremely excited to have someone of Tamara?s calibre join our Club,? Bains said.

?Throughout the recruitment process, Tamara impressed us with her leadership capabilities and the clear articulation of her coaching philosophy and ambitions for our women?s program.

?Her unique blend of experience within both elite girls and elite women?s football lends itself to Tamara building a high-performing culture that develops and grows the exciting young players on our list.

?We are thrilled to be making this appointment for our AFLW program as we strive for consistent performance and sustained success on field.?

Hyett said she was thankful for the opportunity, and can?t wait to lead the Club?s next chapter.

?It?s a really proud moment ? driving in here I was thinking about the last six years and being a western suburbs girl myself, I?m just extremely proud,? she said.

?This is a foundation club who were supporting women?s football even prior to AFLW. It?s not lost on me how special that is.

?There?s some really exciting talent here and it?s really refreshing too. I?m just really excited about the current group.

?The upcoming season is unwritten, and it?s all unknown ? that?s what is really exciting. We can shape our own narrative.?

Hyett becomes the third senior coach in the AFLW side?s history, and one of five female head coaches across the league.

jazzadogs
16-02-2024, 03:55 PM
Despite knowing nothing about Hyett beyond what's in that article, I am feeling buoyed by this appointment. Her involvement with the demons program is a huge positive.

Good luck Coach.

GVGjr
16-02-2024, 04:06 PM
Really happy with this appointment and lets hope they can put some excellent support around her.

josie
16-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Congrats to Tamara Hyett.

If Tamara helps us win another premiership I?ll be singing (fr Annie); Tamara, Tamara we luv ya Tamara.

bornadog
16-02-2024, 07:39 PM
Congrats and best wishes to Tamara

Can Bar
20-02-2024, 07:55 AM
Happy with the appointment, she will bring the IP from a successful team, we need to steer our youthful girls going forward.

Axe Man
20-02-2024, 10:12 AM
How Bulldogs' new coach can turn things around (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1073581/how-the-western-bulldogs-new-coach-can-turn-things-around)

After an off-season of significant player turnover, the Western Bulldogs have the chance to build something from the ground up under new coach Tamara Hyett

THE WESTERN Bulldogs hit a low point in 2023.

Bottom of the ladder, a one-win season, and opting to part ways with coach Nathan Burke.

But now it's time to reset under new coach Tamara Hyett.

The former Melbourne AFLW assistant coach was announced as the Bulldogs' new mentor on Friday, joining Sam Wright at Collingwood, Daniel Webster at Hawthorn and women's footy pioneer Daisy Pearce at West Coast as new coaches for the 2024 season.

After eight seasons cycling talent in and out of the program in a way that clearly hasn't worked, this year the Bulldogs have a chance to build something from the ground up.

The club enters 2024 with the third-youngest average list in the competition, at just 23 years, 317 days, and the sixth-least experienced list averaging 24.4 games.

This comes off the back of significant player turnover in recent months. A third of the list left the club over the off-season, with that group boasting 424 games and 126 goals between them.

The 11 players who have since been welcomed to the red, white, and blue, have played a collective 162 games, and includes four teenagers yet to make their AFLW debut.

Such significant change to the playing list isn't a new experience for the Bulldogs, with the club retaining just one inaugural player ? Ellie Blackburn ? the fewest of any side across the AFLW.

Many have pointed to multiple phases of expansion for much of that unwanted turnover, although that doesn't tell the full story.

Twelve Bulldogs have moved to other clubs via expansion rules, the same number as Fremantle, and four fewer than reigning premier Brisbane, which has lost 16 players to expansion since the competition began.

Bulldogs players lost to expansion

https://i.postimg.cc/90r0gjkt/aflw1.png (https://postimages.org/)

Recent AFLW Best and Fairest winner Monique Conti also left the club during the 2020 expansion phase, although via trade, handing the Dogs the No.1 pick which was ultimately used on Gabrielle Newton.

Amidst all this movement, the Bulldogs have taken more top-10 selections to the draft than any other side with 12 top-10 draft picks landing at the Dogs, and just six ? including three from the 2023 draft ? remain.

Top-10 Bulldogs

https://i.postimg.cc/13ptjBvT/aflw2.png (https://postimages.org/)

What the Western Bulldogs haven't been able to do consistently is develop and retain top-end talent in a way that allows them to build momentum over time. This is a key area for Hyett to focus on improving should the club rise up the ranks.

Another area that the Dogs have struggled with is keeping its best players on the park.

Throughout last season the Bulldogs had the largest injury list across the competition in five of the 10 home and away rounds, including lists of 11, 11, and 12 in the final three weeks.

While injuries are an unfortunate inevitability in footy, poor player availability has plagued the Dogs for three seasons, with limited numbers available even for pre-season sessions in that time.

Ensuring players are in the best physical shape possible coming into the 2024 season will surely be another focal point for Hyett, lifting professional standards. This will be aided by last year's Collective Bargaining Agreement, which made all AFLW player contracts year-round for the first time.

Of course, all of this must come with support from the club's administration, which is yet to officially replace its general manager of women's football after Debbie Lee departed in early 2022.

Despite it all, there is still plenty of potential at the club. It will just be about harnessing it all and starting to move in a positive direction once more.

bornadog
13-03-2024, 03:13 PM
Bulldogs appoint new GM of Women?s Football (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1504451/bulldogs-appoint-new-gm-of-womens-football)

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/03/13/91e382c4-a23c-4152-86d9-3d2919a004ac/patrice-release-feature.jpg?width=1064&height=600The Club is pleased to announce the appointment of Patrice Berthold as our new General Manager Women?s Football.

A former cricketer in her home state of WA, Berthold brings a wealth of high-performance experience in elite sporting programs as well as executive acumen delivering major events.

While at Cricket Australia she headed up Team Operations, travelling with the women?s and men?s national teams, forging strong relationships with international associations and wrangling exceptionally complex logistics during Covid-affected times.

She then took up the role of GM Operations at the T20 World Cup, overseeing the tournament?s successful delivery in seven host cities across Australia. Most recently she held the position of Executive Director, Service Delivery for the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games.

?I?m thrilled that Patrice will be bringing her proven leadership in elite sporting environments, strategic nous and operational excellence to this crucial role,? said Chris Grant, Executive Director of Football.

?Her appointment is testament to the investment our Club is making in women?s football, and I look forward to working with her to shape and implement a vision for sustained success.

?Given the recent appointment of Tamara Hyett as our new Senior Coach, it?s a really exciting time for our W program.?

Berthold said she looked forward to the opportunity.

?I?m super excited to join the Western Bulldogs in what is an amazing time for the club, women?s football and women?s sport as a collective,? she said.

?It?s an incredible opportunity to come into the AFLW program at a time of reset and rebuild, and I am extremely confident with the group of players and staff we have.

?With support and backing from the top too, we can establish some really strong foundations in 2024 to set us up for long-term success both on and off the field.?

ledge
13-03-2024, 03:18 PM
Looks like we have pulled a real good one here.
Looking at the women’s cricket teams success and her contact with men’s cricket could you get a more experienced person in bringing a team together to create excellence?

Prince Imperial
13-03-2024, 04:03 PM
She's certainly got a massive job. Good luck Patrice!

josie
13-03-2024, 05:21 PM
Best wishes Patrice. We really have overhauled our AFLW team and management. Expecting a hungry, tenacious response by our AFLW team. Go girls!!!

Prince Imperial
11-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Some very good news about Elsa's availability. She's a fine player and let's hope she continues to overcome her health challenges for her personally and the club.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1527214/brown-re-added-to-aflw-primary-list

josie
11-04-2024, 09:09 PM
Some very good news about Elsa's availability. She's a fine player and let's hope she continues to overcome her health challenges for her personally and the club.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1527214/brown-re-added-to-aflw-primary-list

Hear hear. Great news. We really missed Browny in the backline. She?s a classy player.

Mantis
17-04-2024, 12:26 PM
Ellie Blackburn has signed on for another 4 seasons (until the end of 2027).

Saw her watching the men's team at the Eagles game which was nice.

Axe Man
17-04-2024, 01:10 PM
Ellie Blackburn has signed on for another 4 seasons (until the end of 2027).

Saw her watching the men's team at the Eagles game which was nice.

Would just about have had to shut the place if Ellie left. I walked right past her at the Eagles game (and also Damien Oliver, a West Coast supporter being from Perth originally).

Axe Man
17-04-2024, 01:11 PM
Blackburn a Bulldog for next four seasons (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1532167/blackburn-a-bulldog-for-next-four-seasons)

Ellie Blackburn has re-signed with the Western Bulldogs for the next four seasons.

The deal will see the three-time All Australian, five-time Club Champion and 2018 Premiership captain remain in the red, white and blue until at least the end of 2027.

Blackburn is the club?s current games record-holder, having played all 68 matches since being signed as a marquee player.

By the end of this contract, she will be completing her 12th season in the league.

?Being able to sign a long-term deal and commit to the club is something that I?m really proud of, and something that I?m really excited by,? Blackburn said.

?I?m really embedded here and I love the club ? what it is and who we are here. I really like the way we represent that and want to be part of that for the long term.?

Blackburn said the community in the west, as well as her drive to achieve team success, contributed to her decision to re-sign.

?What I love most about being a player here is just the way the community gets around our football club - running out onto Whitten Oval on a regular occasion is probably one of the most amazing feelings and experiences of my life,? she said.

?To know the rich history that this club has, and that it?s a family club is something that I?m really proud to be part of too.

?I love the way we operate as one - particularly in the women?s program being one of the first teams (in the AFLW competition). To be part of that is what drives my want to have more success here.

?I think the want for me is that premiership success again, and I want to do that with a group of people I?ve been playing with for a long time and particularly at this football club.?

Bulldogs? Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said securing Blackburn?s services was a fantastic result.

?Having someone of Ellie?s calibre re-commit long-term is so important to shaping the future of where we are going as a group,? Sandry said.

?Ellie is a foundation member of this team and a premiership player, and continues to be a consistent performer.

?Her drive to continually take her football to another level, as well as help those around her succeed, makes her such an integral part of our football club.?

josie
17-04-2024, 03:19 PM
Great news regarding Elle Blackburn. Hoping for some big positive signs this season from our girls. The new recruits should be exciting to watch.

Stevo
17-04-2024, 03:39 PM
Great news regarding Elle Blackburn. Hoping for some big positive signs this season from our girls. The new recruits should be exciting to watch.

Love Elle, she must love the Dogs.

ledge
17-04-2024, 03:45 PM
I thought they could only do year to year contracts.

weltschmerz
17-04-2024, 04:21 PM
I thought they could only do year to year contracts.

Longer contracts have started happening in the last season or two.

No Ellie, no BulldogsW. Could not be a more important signing. I'd like to lock down Alice Edmonds and Issy Grant next.

Hotdog60
24-04-2024, 03:01 PM
Edmonds extends to 2026

Western Bulldogs ruck Alice Edmonds will continue to call Mission Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2026.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/04/23/d9a22659-875a-4c4a-bf51-a0347027ac9c/COM1292-AFLW-Contract-Extensions-1920x1080-AE-ART.png?width=1064&height=600

Western Bulldogs ruck Alice Edmonds will continue to call Mission Whitten Oval home until at least the end of 2026.

The 25-year-old was initially signed as an injury replacement player after being delisted from Richmond prior to Season 6.

She enjoyed a breakout Season 7 which catapulted her into All Australian contention, also claiming runner-up in the Best and Fairest count as well as being named Most Improved Bulldog.

Edmonds said she was thankful for getting another opportunity at the Kennel.

“It’s been a pretty unique journey for me – from when I first got here to now – but it just gave me that extra drive and extra want,” she said.

“I just wanted to improve and be able to reach the top level, and being in this environment and at this club has really assisted with that.

“I’m always so grateful I got a second chance here and can’t wait to take it even further.”

Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said he was pleased to lock in the emerging ruck.

“Since joining the Bulldogs, Alice’s rapid rise to one of the elite rucks in the competition is a credit to her work ethic and determination to improve her football,” Sandry said.

“She is an integral part of our midfield set up and we look forward to her continuing to take her game to new levels over the next few seasons.”

Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1537143/edmonds-signs-until-2026)

Hotdog60
24-04-2024, 03:02 PM
Three more for Georgostathis

Versatile Bulldog Elisabeth Georgostathis has put pen to paper on a three-year deal, keeping her in the red, white and blue until at least the end of 2026.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/04/23/79f28f45-c407-42bd-be6f-7ceb060b9e31/COM1292-AFLW-Contract-Extensions-1920x1080-EG-ART.png?width=1064&height=600

Versatile Bulldog Elisabeth Georgostathis has put pen to paper on a three-year deal, keeping her in the red, white and blue until at least the end of 2026.

The 22-year-old enjoyed a breakout 2023 campaign, averaging 17 touches, four marks and four tackles after a move to defence.

Those efforts saw her claim a career-high second place in the Best and Fairest count.

Georgostathis said she was excited to be staying at the Kennel and in the west.

“I think we’re creating something really special here,” she said.

“Obviously we have had a bit of change in the list, but to see some new faces and new coaches with Tam coming in – I’m just super excited to see what we can do over the next few years.

“Having played with the VU Western Spurs and also the Western Jets – it’s been great to stay on this side (of the city) and be close to home.

“Staying connected in the community here is really cool.”

Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said Georgostathis will continue to play an important role in the club's future growth.

“Liz has been a strong and consistent contributor to our team over the last five seasons,” Sandry said.

“Coming off her best season yet in 2023, extending her contract out for the next three seasons is an important part of the growth of our young list.”

Link (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1537144/georgostathis-extends-until-2026)

weltschmerz
24-04-2024, 05:12 PM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/04/23/2c8e24c4-6fb3-4a11-871e-fbce295c3dc5/COM1292-AFLW-Contract-Extensions-1920x1080-RW-ART.png?width=1064&height=600

Young gun Rylie Wilcox will be a Bulldog until at least the end of 2026 after signing a three-year deal.
Wilcox joined the Kennel via the Club’s first selection (Pick 21 overall) in the 2022 AFLW Draft.
The hard-running midfielder has played 19 games since her debut in the opening round of Season 7 and has been nominated for the NAB AFLW Rising Star award twice.
Wilcox said while getting through an uninterrupted pre-season is her primary goal in 2024, she’s excited by what the following years might hold.
“I’m so pumped to get the next three years under my belt – I’m very excited to get stuck into it,” the 19-year-old said.
“I want to grow as a leader for the younger girls, continue to develop my skills and just be the best player I can be.
“I love the girls and the staff – we’ve got a couple of new starters including Tam as coach, but everyone is just great and are such great personalities.”
Bulldogs’ Head of List Management and Recruiting AFLW, Mick Sandry, said he was delighted to keep Wilcox at the Kennel.
“At only 19 years of age, Rylie has already proven her ability to impact games to a high level,” Sandry said.
“We’re excited to see her continue to develop and excel at the Bulldogs for the next three years and beyond.”

Hotdog60
24-04-2024, 06:13 PM
Wilcox is a good signing and could be one of the stars of AFLW.

weltschmerz
24-04-2024, 06:16 PM
Wilcox is a good signing and could be one of the stars of AFLW.

Been her biggest fan since her early days at the club. For being very small and slight she's got a surprising amount of power to go with that speed and ball use.

jazzadogs
24-04-2024, 09:00 PM
They're four good signings - pretty much the best talents we have left!

josie
24-04-2024, 10:18 PM
Great news regarding our 4 contract extensions.

Shows the players must think we can turn thE corner.

Wilcox is so exciting. I was worried another club would poach her.

Hotdog60
28-04-2024, 08:23 AM
Ellie Blackburn is one of eight inclusions to the Western Bulldogs VFLW line-up this weekend.

Blackburn will join fellow AFLW-listed Bulldogs Sarah Hartwig, Jorja Borg and Maggie Gorham in the team that faces Carlton on Sunday morning.
The first bounce will be at 11am on Sunday 28 April at Mission Whitten Oval.

The match will be live-streamed via afl.com.au/vflw for those who can’t make it, with game-day updates also available via @BulldogsW on X (Twitter).

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1538812/vflw-team-round-6)

HOSE B ROMERO
28-04-2024, 01:00 PM
Dogs leading Carlton 24-2 at half time.
Those AFLW inclusions having an impact.
Hopefully go on to win and give a little joy after last night.

HOSE B ROMERO
28-04-2024, 01:51 PM
And Footscray 6-7-43 defeat Carlton 3-7-25.

Hotdog60
03-05-2024, 06:30 AM
Sandry departs as AFLW list boss

The Western Bulldogs confirm Mick Sandry has departed his role as AFLW Head of List Management and Recruiting.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/05/02/a227cb94-2176-41f2-b19a-94e1542793af/sandry-article.jpg?width=1064&height=600

The Western Bulldogs confirm Mick Sandry has departed his role as AFLW Head of List Management and Recruiting.

Sandry had been part of the AFLW program since its inception, assisting the club in establishing its inaugural AFL Women’s list ahead of the launch of the AFLW competition in 2017.

This culminated in the club winning its first AFLW premiership in 2018.

Sandry continued to play a lead role in helping the club navigate each year of the competition’s expansion, including the development and ongoing management of the club’s VFLW list.

Executive Director of Football, Chris Grant, thanked Sandry for his contribution.

“On behalf of the club, we thank Mick for his service over the past eight years, and in particular the role he played in establishing our inaugural AFLW and premiership team,” Grant said.

“We wish him and wife Gina all the best in their next chapter and hope they won’t be strangers at the Kennel.”

Sandry thanked the Bulldogs for the opportunity.

“Although I’m moving on from the Dogs to the next opportunity, the club has been a huge part of mine and my family’s life over the past eight years, through the AFLW program and prior to that coaching the club in an exhibition game against Melbourne,” Sandry said.

“The highlight is obviously the premiership in 2018, but equally the people you build relationships with along the way.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what this young group can achieve in the coming seasons and wish the club all the best.”

The Bulldogs will begin the search for a replacement in due course.

LINK (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1543600/sandry-departs-as-aflw-list-boss)

Hotdog60
03-05-2024, 06:33 AM
An opportunity opens up for bulldogtragic it's a foot in the door. :)

ledge
03-05-2024, 09:21 AM
So he left or did the club make a decision on him ?
Either way it was probably time I mean he is no Dodoro, Sandry won a flag.
Our women’s team have been a debacle the last 5 years.

Hotdog60
03-05-2024, 06:53 PM
It would have been hard work with the expansion clubs picking our bones dry and a very thin pool to replace them with.

soupman
03-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Played footy with Michael very briefly. Really nice guy.

Hotdog60
06-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Just watched the replay of the VFLW and I was impressed with Fitzgerald as she looks to gained a bit of pace a couple of times went for a run and was burnt by her team mates not giving the one two.
Backburn was the difference with 4 goals playing forward.

ledge
06-05-2024, 07:19 PM
Just watched the replay of the VFLW and I was impressed with Fitzgerald as she looks to gained a bit of pace a couple of times went for a run and was burnt by her team mates not giving the one two.
Backburn was the difference with 4 goals playing forward.

Fitzgerald and Wilcox I have high hopes for, just natural footballers skills.

Testekill
10-05-2024, 06:38 PM
Watching Ellie play in VFLW, you can see why she's one of the best in Australia.

Hotdog60
16-05-2024, 11:36 PM
How a national draft could shake up the AFLW competition

With the AFLW draft likely to become national this year, there are many knock-on effects for clubs

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/05/16/ece660cc-b9be-4b3a-bba1-5de18de84eba/ME181223MH0316.jpg?width=1064&height=600

THE LIKELY move to a national AFLW draft at the end of the year has left some clubs scrambling to boost recruiting resources.

In the past, the state-based draft meant clubs focused purely in their own backyards – which for the Queensland clubs, for example, often meant just players in their academies – but the potential shift to a fully national pool in just seven months' time is putting clubs under the pump.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2022/12/20/734eb571-3ed6-47cf-8854-2092935097e4/AA121016AT0407.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Closing the gap
Most – if not all – clubs agree that a national pool is an appropriate step to take to boost equalisation across the competition and close the gap between the top and bottom sides.

Inaugural teams Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne have long dominated the competition, North Melbourne has now also made the leap to the top tier, while fellow 2019 graduate Geelong is making positive strides.

The bottom end of the competition – while improved – is still a cause for concern with the young West Australian talent pool having not been as deep in recent years and New South Wales well and truly in a development stage.

Clubs pointed to the recently completed under-16 national championships, which was dominated by South Australia, winning its two matches against Western Australia and Vic Metro by a cumulative 158 points.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/05/16/b0fe8bf8-ce86-4c38-ba5b-d1bd127497bb/WU16WASA23PKP6854309.JPG?width=1064&height=600

Barring a full-blown rebuild, Adelaide and Port Adelaide would realistically only be drafting 4-6 of those top-age players in 2026, meaning many would miss out without a national draft.

Clubs are required to draft two players, forcing sides to delist or trade at least two of their squad of 30. That can have a knock-on effect, with those players from stronger sides able to be recruited by weaker teams who are searching for a particular boost – Jess Hosking was let go by the Tigers, but added by the Eagles, who were after players in her age profile to help provide leadership and competitiveness for their young squad.

The increased money on the horizon for tier four players – the payment category the vast majority of draftees will fall into – and 12-month contracts have opened the door to the move, with tier-four payments rising from $56,077 to $67,337 in 2025, $70,030 in 2026 and $72,373 at the end of the CBA in 2027.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/05/16/78df22e9-e0a6-4ac5-b80a-68e45503c253/ME181223MH_R0009.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Small AFLW football departments
AFLW football departments are much smaller than their men's counterparts, and while a slowly growing number have now appointed full-time list managers (some of whom also work across men's programs, such as supporting the Next Generation Academy), their own recruiting and scouting networks across the country have not yet been set up or are in their infancy.

Recruiters are either part-time or casual employees, who work with a club’s list manager to firstly identify talented players, and then drill down on those who may better suit the team's needs (ie a key forward) or game-plan (strong endurance skills, speed, contest work).

One club noted they were happy with the move to a national draft, but would prefer the mooted move to happen next year, as their soft cap budget has already been allocated ahead of the upcoming season.

The soft cap essentially includes all program costs – such as staff (coaches, recruiters, physios, doctors, dieticians) wages, medical costs, equipment and the like – outside of player payments.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2023/11/05/5bbaba57-31d2-4d02-bc78-8e1f037f6eae/aRwkv7UI.jpg?width=1064&height=600

Supporting player welfare
Another club flagged the need for clubs to ensure they have enough welfare support in place before bringing in four or five 18-year-olds from other states, given the ongoing wellbeing needs of younger players new to the system, let alone moving across the country.

Clubs work with players to help with their move, as well as the possible need to transfer universities or study providers, along with ongoing, general wellbeing support.

Scouting out and surmising national talent at the top end of the draft is less of an issue for teams, but clubs who have better resourced their recruiting network will generally have an advantage in uncovering hidden gems on the other side of the country.

Some clubs have said they're more than happy to go full-steam ahead to a national draft, having either read the tea leaves and already having contacts on the ground in other states, or preferring to do their talent scouting from recorded games ("online vision has never been better", claimed one recruiter), rather than needing to be there in person.

https://resources.afl.com.au/photo-resources/2024/03/28/df0226e3-f8e0-42b4-8eec-3829139e8e4e/5REk2gpS.jpg?width=1064&height=600

The current quasi-national draft
Players in last year’s draft were given the option to nominate for either the national pool or their home state. Previous full (not supplementary) drafts saw players nominate for one state only, which did not have to be their home state.

Of the 51 players drafted last year (excluding the re-listings of Lucy Burke and Airlie Runnalls), 23 nominated their home state, and 28 nominated the national pool.

Breaking down the 23 home-state players, 10 were drafted in the first round. Four of the 23 were tied to northern academies, including Sophie Peters, who was a first-rounder.

LINK (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1130783/how-a-national-draft-could-shake-up-the-aflw-competition)

Hotdog60
16-05-2024, 11:42 PM
Inaugural teams Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne have long dominated the competition, North Melbourne has now also made the leap to the top tier, while fellow 2019 graduate Geelong is making positive strides.

It would have been nice to get mentioned in the Inaugural Teams bit and they could have mentioned that we got plundered the most with our more top tier players unlike Melbourne with expansion.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-05-2024, 02:11 PM
4th placed Footscray play at 3 o'clock livestreamed as usual on the AFL site. The AFLW players including Blackburn are not in the team this week so will be interesting how they go against 8th placed Collingwood at Vic Park.

bornadog
18-05-2024, 11:46 PM
4th placed Footscray play at 3 o'clock livestreamed as usual on the AFL site. The AFLW players including Blackburn are not in the team this week so will be interesting how they go against 8th placed Collingwood at Vic Park.

FULL TIME | Mission accomplished. The Bulldogs secure their fourth consecutive win of the season! 🐶

COL: 2. 2. 14
WBD: 6. 8. 44

HOSE B ROMERO
19-05-2024, 04:56 PM
FULL TIME | Mission accomplished. The Bulldogs secure their fourth consecutive win of the season! ��

COL: 2. 2. 14
WBD: 6. 8. 44

Revenge for all those horrible afternoons i spent at Vic park in the 80's. Take that Pies!

ledge
19-05-2024, 04:59 PM
Haven’t we changed in the womens since the review, looking like a club and all in.

jazzadogs
19-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Haven’t we changed in the womens since the review, looking like a club and all in.

I never understood why the aflw listed players weren't playing more regularly in the vflw. The seasons don't overlap at all.

With a focus on youth and development in our list, I would almost want 50% of the list playing VFLW each week.

Great to see us getting some wins after a lean few years.

Bulldog Joe
19-05-2024, 05:18 PM
I never understood why the aflw listed players weren't playing more regularly in the vflw. The seasons don't overlap at all.

With a focus on youth and development in our list, I would almost want 50% of the list playing VFLW each week.

Great to see us getting some wins after a lean few years.

What limitations are on AFLW listed playing in VFL?

jazzadogs
19-05-2024, 05:48 PM
What limitations are on AFLW listed playing in VFL?

As of this season there are no restrictions.

There were restrictions in previous years, but we routinely had zero AFLW players playing.

Hotdog60
19-05-2024, 06:20 PM
I suppose the only restrictions now would work commitments if they have other careers.

ledge
19-05-2024, 07:03 PM
I suppose the only restrictions now would work commitments if they have other careers.

The salary rise helped that .

HOSE B ROMERO
25-05-2024, 05:52 PM
Vflw dogs lead saints at 3 qtr time 28-23.

bornadog
25-05-2024, 10:56 PM
Vflw dogs lead saints at 3 qtr time 28-23.

5 in a row, and sitting 3rd

josie
25-05-2024, 11:14 PM
Good stuff. Go girls!!

bornadog
31-05-2024, 02:38 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GO3v7DDaEAAYaxB?format=jpg&name=medium

HOSE B ROMERO
31-05-2024, 03:50 PM
Also *For the first time, teams will play an 11-game NAB AFLW home-and-away season with an additional game on either a Tuesday or Wednesday. ‘Mid-Week Footy’ will be introduced during a four-week block across weeks four to seven in the draw.

6 of the 10 games are against interstate opposition.

The Underdog
31-05-2024, 04:51 PM
Mid week trip to Brisbane will be tough with a 4 day turnaround backing up to play the Pies. Ouch.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-06-2024, 12:48 PM
Vflw - half time and we are leading Geelong 38 - ZIP.

HOSE B ROMERO
01-06-2024, 01:51 PM
full time in the vflw and a fantastic effort by the girls.

Footscray 12 7 79
Geelong 1 2 8

Kudos to the club this year with the big improvement on previous seasons.

Hotdog60
02-06-2024, 03:37 PM
Watching the replay number 34 Skenderis looks a goer has some pace and good kicking skills being 34 is she on the AFLW list?

bornadog
21-06-2024, 11:52 AM
2024 AFLW Playing Numbers

#
Player

Elizabeth Snell

Ellie Blackburn

Isabella Grant

Isabelle Pritchard

Elaine Grigg

Maggie Gorham

Deanna Berry

Dom Carruthers

Eleanor Brown

Jasmyn Smith

Elle Bennetts

Brooke Barwick

Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner

Jorja Borg

Sarah Hartwig

Naomi Ferres

Elisabeth Georgostathis

Britney Gutknecht

Heidi Woodley

Cleo Buttifant

Zimmorlei Farquharson

Keely Coyne

Jess Fitzgerald

Aurora Smith

Elle Gavalas

Analea McKee

Lauren Ahrens

Mua Laloifi

Alice Edmonds

Rylie Wilcox

Brianna McFarlane

ledge
21-06-2024, 12:39 PM
Looking forward to our young ones coming on a bit this year eg Wilcox.

Testekill
21-06-2024, 09:33 PM
Only Doggies game this weekend is VFLW vs North at Arden street tomorrow, 2pm. 2nd vs 4th. Win and we lock in 2nd, lose and Box Hill leapfrogs us on percentage.

edit: Box Hill needs to beat Port to jump us, North has no way of getting past us on the ladder due to percentage.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-06-2024, 03:32 PM
After conceding the first 2 the dogs have kicked four on the trot.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-06-2024, 03:49 PM
Dogs lead 26-22 at half time. Quality match but i think we have more contributors across the ground.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-06-2024, 04:23 PM
3 qtr time and roos lead 36-33

Testekill
22-06-2024, 04:50 PM
Hard fought 7 point win in the end

HOSE B ROMERO
22-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Tight last quarter saw Footscray prevail 7 8 50 to 6 7 43. Now for the finals.

bornadog
22-06-2024, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the updates. They are really travelling well

ledge
22-06-2024, 10:36 PM
Who do we play first up in finals and how do the finals work . Is it a top 8 ?

bornadog
22-06-2024, 10:40 PM
Who do we play first up in finals and how do the finals work . Is it a top 8 ?
top 6

ledge
22-06-2024, 11:34 PM
top 6

Thanks it’s hard to find anything on the net .

bornadog
24-06-2024, 01:33 PM
VFLW team playing in qualifying final this Sunday 30 June 2024.

DSV Stadium, 2:00pm AEST.

HOSE B ROMERO
24-06-2024, 06:45 PM
Thanks it’s hard to find anything on the net .
We will be playing Willy at Willy. Our first finals appearance since 2019. The teams met once during the season when we lost 46-25.
A great effort to finish as high as we did although the ladder is skewed by the teams that had to play the powerful Sydney teams (we avoided them) and the fact that some clubs used AFLW players at times (we did). Would be great if we could win at least one final. And even better if we could knock off the seagulls.

Testekill
28-06-2024, 08:47 AM
Looks like we have moved Fitzy to the HB line. Not a bad idea, she has sometimes struggled to get involved and she'll see a lot more ball coming out of there with her dash.

Testekill
30-06-2024, 03:19 PM
Looks like a pretty heavy breeze across the ground at Point Gellibrand.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-06-2024, 03:24 PM
Willy lead 7-6 at quarter time. Willy had the advantage of the wind that quarter. But you've got to know how to use it as it goes diagonally pocket to pocket. Dogs should be endeavouring to work the ball to the grandstand side. Dogs looked the better team.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-06-2024, 03:26 PM
And showers approaching. Willy always knows how to turn on the weather.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-06-2024, 03:49 PM
Half time Q-Final and dogs lead 14-13. Real finals pressure. If i wasn't such a wimp i'd walk down and take it in live.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-06-2024, 04:23 PM
Willy went away with it that qtr and lead 33-14. Wind only getting stronger.

HOSE B ROMERO
30-06-2024, 04:50 PM
Dogs defeated but was always going to be a difficult one. Will play a cut throat final next week.

bornadog
02-07-2024, 10:58 PM
VFLW will play their Semi-Final vs Port Melbourne this Saturday.

bornadog
05-07-2024, 04:05 PM
VFLW Team | Semi Final

Western Bulldogs v Port Melbourne
Saturday 6 July, 1pm AEST
Mission Whitten Oval

Testekill
06-07-2024, 02:50 PM
Half time in VFLW final, up 13 points vs Port Melbourne

Testekill
06-07-2024, 02:55 PM
Keeley Hardingham dominating as expected, been a revelation in her first season at the Bulldogs.

HOSE B ROMERO
06-07-2024, 03:52 PM
Dogs into the prelim with a 34-22 win.

azabob
06-07-2024, 05:53 PM
New list manager named as Dogs keep ringing the changes

Dan Fisher is the latest addition off the ground as Western Bulldogs hope to head back to top

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have appointed long-time men's recruiter Dan Fisher as their new AFLW list manager.

Fisher has been a highly respected member of the club's men's recruiting team for well over a decade, working in various list management roles.

He started as a recruiting analyst at the Whitten Oval in 2012, before shifting into pro scouting from 2016. Since 2019, he has been formally working as the club's men's list and recruiting officer.

However, Fisher has now joined a new-look Bulldogs AFLW football department, which has undergone major changes over the off-season, led by the hiring of a new football boss and senior coach.

Ex-Melbourne assistant Tamara Hyett replaced Nathan Bourke as the club's senior coach back in February, while the highly credentialed Patrice Berthold was also hired as the club's new head of women's football in March.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1163672/bulldogs-aflw-changes

ledge
07-07-2024, 01:29 PM

Dan Fisher is the latest addition off the ground as Western Bulldogs hope to head back to top

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have appointed long-time men's recruiter Dan Fisher as their new AFLW list manager.

Fisher has been a highly respected member of the club's men's recruiting team for well over a decade, working in various list management roles.

He started as a recruiting analyst at the Whitten Oval in 2012, before shifting into pro scouting from 2016. Since 2019, he has been formally working as the club's men's list and recruiting officer.

However, Fisher has now joined a new-look Bulldogs AFLW football department, which has undergone major changes over the off-season, led by the hiring of a new football boss and senior coach.

Ex-Melbourne assistant Tamara Hyett replaced Nathan Bourke as the club's senior coach back in February, while the highly credentialed Patrice Berthold was also hired as the club's new head of women's football in March.

It needed a huge clean out and start again . Good to see it happening

GVGjr
07-07-2024, 04:35 PM

Nice to see we are treating it seriously. Hopefully we can start bringing in better players and start keeping them.Things have fallen away om the last couple of years.

GVGjr
08-07-2024, 11:29 AM
Toby McLean confirmed as an assistant coach, Rory Lobb will be doing some work the the key position and ruck players for us.
Good appointments.

Axe Man
08-07-2024, 12:58 PM
Big Dog takes on AFLW mentoring role (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1167873/big-western-bulldog-dog-rory-lobb-takes-on-mentoring-role-with-aflw-side)

With two feet in the present and an eye to the future Rory Lobb is lending a hand to the Bulldogs' women's side

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' AFLW program will have some additional support next season, with Rory Lobb set to take on a mentoring role within new coach Tamara Hyett's football department.

Lobb has been lending a hand as the Dogs returned to pre-season training in recent weeks ahead of the AFLW campaign beginning in August, working predominantly with the side's rucks and key-position players.

The versatile 206cm tall is the second player from the Dogs' men's program to cross over into an AFLW coaching role at the Whitten Oval recently, with retired premiership star Toby McLean also joining as an assistant coach ahead of the 2024 season.

Lobb's move into a part-time coaching role comes after he returned to the AFL side in recent weeks, ensuring his place in Luke Beveridge's plans through his versatility playing as both a ruck-forward and as a strong-marking intercept defender.

"I'm just working with the girls a little bit on body work, leading patterns, those sorts of things. I'm identifying what to do in a contest," Lobb told AFL.com.au last week.

"I feel like I've been around long enough, so I feel like I can help some people through that. I'm really enjoying it.

"I did my coaching course and then I just saw the opportunity to help the girls out, but obviously it's crossing over a lot now. I talked to a couple of the girls and they were really keen to learn and pick my brain.

"I figured I'd get to a couple of training sessions and help them out. Their willingness to learn is unbelievable."

Lobb recently completed the AFL's Level 2 Coaching course and is considering a future in coaching beyond his playing days, though he's hopeful of remaining in the AFL system for a couple of years yet.

He still has two seasons remaining on the four-year deal he signed to join the Bulldogs at the end of 2022, having also represented Greater Western Sydney and Fremantle across his 167-game career.

"It's always good to just have different things," Lobb said.

"It's hard when you're playing football and you've been in the system so long. There's a lot of players that come out and there's so much going on, you don't know what you want to do.

"The more I can have these things in place ... if I still really love game ? and I love the game now, I don't know where I'll be in a few years, but I want to play as long as I can because I love it so much ? but if it's coaching after football, it's coaching. If I want to get away from football completely, I'll go in that direction."

The Bulldogs' AFLW program has undergone significant off-season change, with Hyett replacing Nathan Bourke as the club's senior coach back in February and the highly credentialed Patrice Berthold also hired as the club's new head of women's football in March.

As revealed by AFL.com.au last week, long-time men's recruiter Dan Fisher has also been appointed as the club's new AFLW list manager.

josie
08-07-2024, 07:06 PM
Correction: We play Willi at ETU stadium Port Melbourne at 12:30pm.

Our VFLW girls are playing in preliminary final at williamstown oval this Sunday 12:30pm (unfortunately half hour later than our VFL team plays Carlton at WO).

I know they lost to Willy at Willy last week but I think I’ll go and support the girls who are feisty and good to watch. Entry is free I believe. Whoever wins PF plays North in GF week after (which will be broadcast on Ch 7 live).

Go girls!!!

Axe Man
09-07-2024, 03:54 PM
Dogs add more bite as flag winner McLean joins coaches (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1168514/dogs-add-more-aflw-bite-as-flag-winner-mclean-joins-coaches)

The Western Bulldogs have almost completed a full update of their AFLW coaching panel with latest announcement

PREMIERSHIP Bulldog Toby McLean has made a return to Whitten Oval, appointed midfield coach for the club's AFLW side.

Fan favourite McLean played 102 games for the Bulldogs between 2015 and 2023, tearing his ACL twice over that period.

The 28-year-old joins a near-completely overhauled coaching panel under new senior leader Tam Hyett.

Backline coach Matt Skubis is effectively the only remaining figure from last year's one-win season.

Hyett has brought in a number of familiar faces from her days at Melbourne, including forwards coach Ben Friggi (ex-Casey VFLW assistant) and specialist coach Peter Mercoulia (ex-Demons AFLW assistant, VFLW senior coach).

Bulldogs men's assistant coach Brendon Lade will serve as director of coaching for the women's program, having previously also worked with St Kilda's women's program in his time there.

Respected tackle coach Malcolm Bangs will join Mercoulia as a specialist coach, while as previously reported by AFL.com.au, men's player Rory Lobb will work as a mentor.

Heading up the program is new general manager of women's football, Patrice Berthold, with Dan Fisher appointed list and recruiting manager, and Georgia Stewart the team's new player welfare manager.

"We’re extremely pleased with the calibre of people we’ve been able to bring into our program this season, particularly in the coaching space," Berthold said.

"Both Toby and Ben have hit the ground running with their respective line groups, while we’re excited to see the team’s improvements from a strategy, contest and tackling perspective via Peter and Malcolm.

"We are confident all of these appointments will complement both Tam and Matt, while helping continue to develop our playing group as we strive for success in 2024 and beyond."

Last year's coaches Kate McCarthy, Shaun Campbell and Josh Bruce have left the club.

The Bulldogs will also have a different-looking player leadership group, given the departure of vice-captains Kirsty Lamb (Port Adelaide) and Bailey Hunt (delisted), while leadership group member Gabby Newton has moved to Fremantle.

bornadog
09-07-2024, 04:34 PM
2024 AFLW Western Bulldogs coaching panelHead coach: Tam Hyett
Director of Coaching: Brendon Lade
Forwards coach: Ben Friggi
Backline coach: Matt Skubis
Midfield coach: Toby McLean
Specialist coach: Peter Mercoulia
Specialist coach: Malcolm Bangs
Mentor: Rory Lobb

weltschmerz
10-07-2024, 01:32 PM
Toby McLean as a midfield coach is great to see.

ledge
14-07-2024, 12:52 AM
A few photos posted from the port v Footscray AFLw game and this one caught my eye . I love this colour. 1458

HOSE B ROMERO
14-07-2024, 02:28 PM
Half time in the prelim.

Williamstown 2 2 14
Footscray 4 4 28

josie
14-07-2024, 02:55 PM
Gee the standard is good. If our AFLW team play like VFLW we are in for a more competitive year.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-07-2024, 02:55 PM
3 qtr time

Williamstown 2 3 15
Footscray 6 6 42

HOSE B ROMERO
14-07-2024, 02:57 PM
Gee the standard is good. If our AFLW team play like VFLW we are in for a more competitive year.

Exactly. Credit to the club how the vflw team has advanced this season.

HOSE B ROMERO
14-07-2024, 03:18 PM
And Footscray are into the VFLW Grand Final!

Footscray 9 6 60

def

Williamstown 2 4 16

Testekill
14-07-2024, 03:20 PM
Doggies win, you'd think that Hardingham would be a heavy favourite for the team of the year and whatever the VFLW equivalent of the brownlow is.

bornadog
14-07-2024, 03:24 PM
Doggies win, you'd think that Hardingham would be a heavy favourite for the team of the year and whatever the VFLW equivalent of the brownlow is.

That was a smashing, 60 to 16

The Underdog
14-07-2024, 04:15 PM
That was a smashing, 60 to 16

62 point turnaround in a fortnight.
Congrats to the team. From 2nd last to a GF is great season.

jazzadogs
14-07-2024, 05:57 PM
Any idea where/when the grand final is?

The Underdog
14-07-2024, 06:04 PM
Any idea where/when the grand final is?

I’m guessing Port Melbourne next Sunday.

Testekill
19-07-2024, 10:45 PM
North Port Oval, Sunday 12:10pm

Profiles for every Bulldog on Sunday are available here
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1174794/player-profiles-2024-rebel-vflw-grand-final

Hotdog60
21-07-2024, 02:11 PM
Not looking good for the girls North look too strong in the first half.

bornadog
21-07-2024, 02:26 PM
One goal the difference now, go Girls

bornadog
21-07-2024, 02:32 PM
4 goals and scores are level in the 3rd

Hotdog60
21-07-2024, 02:39 PM
great come back from the girls

josie
21-07-2024, 03:21 PM
Brave effort. Lots of grit to come back in Q3. The wind was a factor. Pity we didn?t score in that first foray forward in last qtr. Big congrats to Roos & their supporters.

Our ruck and on ball brigade really turned things around after Q1 after being smashed.

Shout out to all the fans (doggies cheer squad way better than Roos) who made it a great atmosphere worthy of the good final it was.

From last to G Finalists-great platform for next year and great example for our AFLW team too. Bravo.

weltschmerz
22-07-2024, 03:09 PM
Really thought Ellie had the captaincy for as long as she wanted it!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GTECN41bsAAxQpD?format=jpg&name=900x900

Axe Man
22-07-2024, 05:25 PM
Berry on top: Blackburn replaced as Dogs captain as changes continue (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1179014/deanna-berry-on-top-ellie-blackburn-replaced-as-western-bulldogs-captain-as-changes-continue)

CONTINUING a year of change at the Western Bulldogs, Deanna Berry has been appointed captain for the 2024 NAB AFLW season.

Berry takes the baton from Ellie Blackburn, who has led the club since 2019 initially as co-captain and then standalone once inaugural captain Katie Brennan moved across to Richmond. Blackburn will remain in the leadership group.

"I'm probably a bit speechless right now to be honest ? I'm just thrilled," Berry said.

"In the last few years, I've really found myself as a leader, and where I can make an impact both on and off the field. I want to help drive the behaviours and the culture and the standards that we want to set as a club."

After finishing 18th on the ladder last year, recording just one win for the season, the Bulldogs have made significant change in recent months.

Coach Nathan Burke ? who joined the club the same year that Blackburn was ratified as sole captain ? was moved on at the end of the season, as was list manager Mick Sandry.

The Bulldogs have since welcomed Tamara Hyett as their third head coach, and appointed Dan Fisher as list manager. Meanwhile, Patrice Berthold was also appointed as general manager of women's football earlier in the year, replacing Debbie Lee who moved to a position at the AFL in August of 2022.

Change was also felt across the playing list, with four players ? Kirsty Lamb, Katie Lynch, Celine Moody, and Gabrielle Newton ? traded to other clubs, and a further six either delisted or retired.

Blackburn is the sole remaining member of the club's inaugural list from 2017.

New captain Berry joined the Bulldogs during the 2017 off-season, arriving in time to play in the side's 2018 premiership. She was initially drafted to Melbourne with pick No.9 of the inaugural draft, and has played 40 of her 47 career games since arriving at the Dogs.

The leadership shift comes as a result of a new selection process instigated by Berthold.

"Following extensive consideration, we are pleased to appoint De as captain," Berthold, said.

"Reflective of the changes across our women's program in the off-season, we introduced a new and robust leadership selection process to help position the club with the best chance of success now and into the future across all on-field and off-field endeavours.

"De emerged from this comprehensive process as the successful candidate, and we are excited for her to guide and help propel the team's growth through this next chapter."

Berry will be supported by a leadership group made up of Blackburn, Elle Bennetts, Isabelle Pritchard, Isabella Grant, and Jess Fitzgerald.

"I'm pretty lucky in the fact that I've got Ellie to help guide me along the way. She's been an enormous leader of this club for the past eight years," Berry said.

"Having her qualities beside me is only going to help me and the direction we want to go as a club. The girls in the leadership group are a great bunch ? it just excites me to know how much it means to all to them, and how hard they've been working to be leaders."

The Bulldogs kick off their 2024 campaign on Saturday, August 31 against Greater Western Sydney in Canberra.

Axe Man
25-07-2024, 01:06 PM
'I'm glad she's by my side': New Dogs skipper on emotional handover (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1179537/im-glad-shes-by-my-side-new-dogs-skipper-on-emotional)

A strong rapport with former captain Ellie Blackburn will be key to Deanna Berry's new role as skipper of the Bulldogs

THE WESTERN Bulldogs have become no strangers to personnel changes across the off-season, but one appointment on Monday proved surprising, both inside the four walls and across the AFLW landscape.

After six seasons as captain of the Bulldogs, Ellie Blackburn had been replaced as skipper, with Deanna Berry elevated in her place.

While Berry was appointed after a new, comprehensive process which included formal interviews as well as a player survey, naturally it was an emotionally fuelled announcement.

"No doubt it's been a challenging one," Berry said of the handover.

"Me and Ellie have a great relationship, and I've said all along, I'm extremely grateful that she's here because she's a great person and a great leader. I think if I can take anything out of her book to help me grow in this part of my career, it's only going to help us all along the way.

"We've shared some great moments together and especially at this club, so I think what we can drive together and what she'll help me achieve along the way will be pretty special. I'm glad that she's by my side through it all."

Blackburn will remain part of Berry's official leadership group, which also includes Isabelle Pritchard, Isabella Grant, Jess Fitzgerald, and Elle Bennetts.

It?s the latest high-profile change at Whitten Oval following a disappointing 2023 season that saw the side win just one game.

Head coach Nathan Burke was moved on in favour of Tamara Hyett, list manager Mick Sandry was replaced by Dan Fisher, and Patrice Berthold was brought in as the club's general manager of women's football ? a position that had been left vacant since Debbie Lee moved into an AFL role back in 2022.

The side also lost stalwart Kirsty Lamb, former No.1 draft pick Gab Newton, and key-position players Celine Moody and Katie Lynch, with the experienced quartet all traded to other clubs.

Despite the tumultuous off-season, the uphill slog facing the Dogs a cause for excitement, not alarm, in Berry?s eyes. It is a chance to introduce fresh voices, and proof the club is able to make hard decisions when they're needed.

"The most exciting thing, and I speak to Tam (Hyett) about it all the time, it's the unknown," Berry said.

"We've got a new GM, new coaching staff, we've got pretty much a whole new medical group. Everything is fresh, training looks different, everything feels different, and I'm just so excited to see what we can achieve."

A strong bond, built on respect, with Hyett will also help Berry build a strong foundation for the club as it takes this next step.

"The connection you can have with a female coach, I think it's pretty special," Berry said.

"No doubt if something was to go wrong Tam would flick you across the head, because we have that relationship already. She just means business, she's not here to f*** around? If there's something not going right, or how she wants it to go, or how we need it to be, she'll address it there."

First selected with pick No.9 in the inaugural Telstra AFLW draft by Melbourne, Berry joined the Bulldogs the following year via trade and played in the club's historic premiership that same season.

Since reaching the pinnacle, however, footy life has been a little rockier for Berry, who has played 47 games over eight seasons.

"I was probably a little arrogant 18-year-old (in 2017) ? it was actually in that premiership season where Paul Groves dropped me and was like 'you need to work harder' and I was like 'okay this is what it means, this is what I have to do'."

Once an understanding of what is required to maintain her status as an elite footballer was struck, the next battle was a frustrating run with injury. Berry ruptured her ACL in the club's round five win over Greater Western Sydney in 2021, and returned to the field exactly one year later.

"Doing my knee, and then I've had three shoulder (reconstructions) since," Berry said.

"That resilience side of things has just continued to grow. And understanding how my body works and the hard work side of things and understanding it's not just when I'm here, you have to do a lot of stuff away from the club as well, otherwise it all comes undone.

"Especially for someone like me, my body's very injury-prone, so it's understanding how I can best get the most out of my body as well."

It?s that commitment to rise when challenged that propelled Berry to put her hand up for the captaincy this year.

"It was a very thorough process," Berry said.

"It was going to be whoever was going to be the best person. I put my hat in the ring and I didn't know what would come from it, and I was just lucky enough that it did.

"I never even thought (captaincy) would be something I'd even put my hand up for.?

With a near on unrecognisable team both on-field and off, who knows what the Bulldogs might unleash in 2024. It is a group that could be anything this year, and only time will tell what that might be.

bornadog
25-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Personally, I prefer Ellie continue as captain - not sure why it was even in consideration

jazzadogs
25-07-2024, 01:44 PM
Personally, I prefer Ellie continue as captain - not sure why it was even in consideration

While nobody doubts Ellie's standing as our greatest AFLW player, her reputation as a leader has never been quite as strong.

Given our poor results in recent years I have no issue with Berry taking over, and I'm glad that Ellie is remaining in the leadership group. Hopefully it is not too difficult for the two of them, as well as the playing group, to adapt to this change in their relationship.

The Underdog
25-07-2024, 03:41 PM
While nobody doubts Ellie's standing as our greatest AFLW player, her reputation as a leader has never been quite as strong.

Given our poor results in recent years I have no issue with Berry taking over, and I'm glad that Ellie is remaining in the leadership group. Hopefully it is not too difficult for the two of them, as well as the playing group, to adapt to this change in their relationship.

There’s certainly been some rumblings that her leadership wasn’t universally popular and we were a mess last year, so change may not be the worst thing.
Your best leader isn’t always your best player.

Grantysghost
25-07-2024, 03:47 PM
There’s certainly been some rumblings that her leadership wasn’t universally popular and we were a mess last year, so change may not be the worst thing.
Your best leader isn’t always your best player.
^^^^

Testekill
08-08-2024, 11:41 AM
Ellie is great but it just doesn't seem that something was working with her as captain, she leads to the front but sometimes the stars aren't the best choices as captains.

weltschmerz
08-08-2024, 03:09 PM
New coach, new GM, almost a third of the team turned over. New captain does make sense in that context. Berry being Blackburn's ex might have made handover a bit awkward, but they're professionals and I have full faith they'll make it work.

First scratch match v Richmond this weekend.

Hotdog60
10-08-2024, 09:49 AM
https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/08/09/b4296208-4748-4c2d-abfe-2f6544baad1a/COM1436-AFLW-Live-Stream-1920x1080-V2.jpg?width=1064&height=600

bornadog
12-08-2024, 05:28 PM
ACL for Mua

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUwkce3a8AAeDdw?format=jpg&name=900x900

Hotdog60
12-08-2024, 05:55 PM
That's crap! Someone needs to develop some sort of knee support that still gives them freedom but better protection against ACL's in Womens sport.

Grantysghost
12-08-2024, 06:24 PM
That's crap! Someone needs to develop some sort of knee support that still gives them freedom but better protection against ACL's in Womens sport.

It's an epidemic. Really sad news.

Hotdog60
17-08-2024, 06:24 PM
If the practice matches are anything to go by it's going to be another long short season.

ledge
17-08-2024, 06:43 PM
If the practice matches are anything to go by it's going to be another long short season.

Yeah this is a massive hiding, no team work, no game plan, fumbling, it?s all players trying to do it all themself, pathetic to be honest , be interesting to see how long the coach lasts if this is what she brings.

Hotdog60
17-08-2024, 06:51 PM
Just an observation but we don't look fit. I know they are only part time but the Suns look to have more run.
I know some of the players had a run in the VFLW but may be it needs to be utilised more so they are more match come the start.

ledge
17-08-2024, 07:18 PM
Just an observation but we don't look fit. I know they are only part time but the Suns look to have more run.
I know some of the players had a run in the VFLW but may be it needs to be utilised more so they are more match come the start.

Nah it’s not fitness we have a non existant forward line and no actual team work at all.

Hotdog60
17-08-2024, 07:55 PM
Nah it’s not fitness we have a non existant forward line and no actual team work at all.

After watching the last half with a bit more focus on what the actual players are doing and you 100% right.
If one of them are going for the ball their team mate will just let the opposition run past them and tackle the player without trying to block to give the player time. Also going forward the kicks just don't go to our advantage.
I know it's just practice but I hope this aspect improves over the season.
On a plus Ellie is just doing Ellie things and Wilcox looks good and Fitzgerald.

ledge
17-08-2024, 08:14 PM
After watching the last half with a bit more focus on what the actual players are doing and you 100% right.
If one of them are going for the ball their team mate will just let the opposition run past them and tackle the player without trying to block to give the player time. Also going forward the kicks just don't go to our advantage.
I know it's just practice but I hope this aspect improves over the season.
On a plus Ellie is just doing Ellie things and Wilcox looks good and Fitzgerald.

We had no forward line at all . It was like we had everyone back to stop the floodgates from the first bounce, I saw nothing as far as connection, we kicked 3 goals because in 80 min of football it’s going to get through the line a couple of times and all three were due to a player doing something remarkable to kick them.

bornadog
24-08-2024, 03:14 PM
List for upcoming season

Ins: Lauren Ahrens, Jasmyn Smith (Gold Coast), Zimmorlei Farquharson, Analea McKee (Brisbane), Ellie Gavalas (North Melbourne), Mua Laloifi (Carlton), Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Brooke Barwick, Elaine Grigg, Cleo Buttifant, Jorja Borg (draft)

Outs: Kirsty Lamb (Port Adelaide), Katie Lynch (Gold Coast), Celine Moody (Carlton), Gab Newton (Fremantle), Richelle Cranston, Kirsten McLeod (retired), Daisy Bateman, Bailey Hunt, Millie Brown, Gemma Lagioia (delisted)

Inactive: Nil

2024 active list: Lauren Ahrens, Brooke Barwick, Elle Bennetts, Deanna Berry, Ellie Blackburn, Jorja Borg, Eleanor Brown, Cleo Buttifant, Dom Carruthers, Keely Coyne, Alice Edmonds, Zimmie Farquharson, Naomi Ferres, Jess Fitzgerald, Ellie Gavalas, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Maggie Gorham, Issy Grant, Elaine Grigg, Brit Gutknecht, Sarah Hartwig, Mua Laloifi, Bree McFarlane, Analea McKee, Isabelle Pritchard, Aurora Smith, Jasmyn Smith, Elizabeth Snell, Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Rylie Wilcox, Heidi Woodley

The Dogs have turned over a third of their list, with four senior players requesting trades out of the club. Ahrens will cover for Lynch, Borg for Moody, Gavalas for Lamb and draftee Weston-Turner for Newton, with raw ex-Lion McKee also an option in attack after the retirement of Cranston. Farquharson will also move into the new-look forward line after McLeod hung up the boots, while Laloifi will slot into defence in place of Hunt. Barwick is an elusive midfielder, a slightly different type to work with Blackburn and Gavalas, while the inexperienced Buttifant provides dash out of defence.

ledge
24-08-2024, 03:36 PM
List for upcoming season

Ins: Lauren Ahrens, Jasmyn Smith (Gold Coast), Zimmorlei Farquharson, Analea McKee (Brisbane), Ellie Gavalas (North Melbourne), Mua Laloifi (Carlton), Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Brooke Barwick, Elaine Grigg, Cleo Buttifant, Jorja Borg (draft)

Outs: Kirsty Lamb (Port Adelaide), Katie Lynch (Gold Coast), Celine Moody (Carlton), Gab Newton (Fremantle), Richelle Cranston, Kirsten McLeod (retired), Daisy Bateman, Bailey Hunt, Millie Brown, Gemma Lagioia (delisted)

Inactive: Nil

2024 active list: Lauren Ahrens, Brooke Barwick, Elle Bennetts, Deanna Berry, Ellie Blackburn, Jorja Borg, Eleanor Brown, Cleo Buttifant, Dom Carruthers, Keely Coyne, Alice Edmonds, Zimmie Farquharson, Naomi Ferres, Jess Fitzgerald, Ellie Gavalas, Elisabeth Georgostathis, Maggie Gorham, Issy Grant, Elaine Grigg, Brit Gutknecht, Sarah Hartwig, Mua Laloifi, Bree McFarlane, Analea McKee, Isabelle Pritchard, Aurora Smith, Jasmyn Smith, Elizabeth Snell, Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner, Rylie Wilcox, Heidi Woodley

The Dogs have turned over a third of their list, with four senior players requesting trades out of the club. Ahrens will cover for Lynch, Borg for Moody, Gavalas for Lamb and draftee Weston-Turner for Newton, with raw ex-Lion McKee also an option in attack after the retirement of Cranston. Farquharson will also move into the new-look forward line after McLeod hung up the boots, while Laloifi will slot into defence in place of Hunt. Barwick is an elusive midfielder, a slightly different type to work with Blackburn and Gavalas, while the inexperienced Buttifant provides dash out of defence.

That’s a huge lot of talent we have lost.
Not sure that experience is replaceable , I am fearing it’s going to be a horrid year
, all other teams are improving , we seem to be a team rebuilding like Nth in AFL.

Hotdog60
24-08-2024, 04:35 PM
while Laloifi will slot into defence in place of Hunt. Well that's not happening this season.

weltschmerz
27-08-2024, 06:03 PM
https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1640821/kimber-joins-the-kennel

Replacement player with Laloifi moved to the inactive list

Prince Imperial
27-08-2024, 11:01 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thought of this when they read this news...

https://youtu.be/ytqAS-tgGKg?si=m2NrOK4G6tn4kvyD

azabob
28-08-2024, 09:02 AM

Video of coach Tam offering the list spot to Kaylee.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/1640909/tam-offers-kaylee-kimber-the-last-list-spot?videoId=1640909&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1724749200001

Hotdog60
28-08-2024, 09:09 AM

Wow that takes me back to be honest I hadn't thought of that but there was something about the name. :)

Axe Man
28-08-2024, 10:46 AM
AFLW game between Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide could be moved to avoid fixture clash (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/one-of-the-fiercest-rivalries-in-footy-swans-left-shortchanged-by-saturday-arvo-sydney-derby-final-against-the-giants/news-story/9f1bc50e4143768ae4d6618b66407596)

The AFL player union has expressed its disappointment at the fixture clash between the Western Bulldogs men?s and women?s games next Friday as moves are made to switch the AFLW game to clear air.

The Dogs were furious that their first men?s final in Victoria in eight years and their first AFLW home game of the new season were both scheduled on the same day.

The women?s clash - one of only five home games this year for the Dogs - takes place at 5.05pm at Whitten Oval with the men?s final against Hawthorn at the MCG at 7.40pm on Friday night.

AFLPA chief executive Paul Marsh told the Herald Sun there were ?ongoing discussions? about a potential switch of the women?s clash.

But he said even despite the difficulties of scheduling finals across an AFLW competition it was not an ideal fixture.

The women will be judged on their metrics by the AFL as they attempt to broaden their competition into a 17-game fixture but it is challenging when the Dogs fans will instead be at the men?s game.

?The AFLPA understands the complexities of fixturing and this is further complicated when the AFL and AFLW seasons overlap?, Marsh said.

?In saying this we have spent a significant amount of time discussing how to grow the AFLW competition for the benefit of the industry and the decision to fixture both Bulldogs games so close together is in conflict with these efforts, particularly when the future growth of the AFLW competition is based on attendance and tv ratings metrics.

?We have had conversations with the AFL and the Western Bulldogs and our understanding is there are ongoing discussions around a potential resolution to this issue and we are hopeful this will happen quickly.?

Sydney was also disappointed to be handed a 3.20pm Saturday clash instead of prime time, and would have had a longer break if the AFL had handed it a Thursday night fixture.

AFL chief executive Andrew Dillon said on AFL360 on Monday most clubs would be happy with the fixture.

?I?ve spoken to most of the clubs today and I don?t think anyone?s disappointed to be in finals,? Dillon said.

?Our fixturing team do an incredible job and the way that round 24 landed, you couldn?t have scripted it. The team take into account attendance, broadcast, days breaks, what weeks two and three are going to look like and ultimately, we consult with the clubs and the venues.

?Clubs have a view of what?s best but when it?s all said and done, they?re really happy to be there.?

?OPPORTUNITY MISSED?: SWANS COACH WEIGHS IN ON AFLW CLASH
- Lachlan McKirdy

Swans coach Scott Gowans admits he was surprised by the decision to not completely separate the Western Bulldogs? first AFLW home game and their men?s elimination final against Hawthorn.

As part of the first week of men?s finals fixtures in a fortnight, the Bulldogs-Hawthorn elimination final has been scheduled for Friday night at the MCG. The 7.40pm bounce is less than three hours from the start of the Bulldogs? first AFLW game against Port Adelaide at their redeveloped headquarters at Whitten Oval which begins at 5.05pm.

The scheduling means it will be next to impossible for Bulldogs fans to attend both matches, while the club has also been left frustrated by the fact they will have to split their resources across two massive games.

Although Gowans conceded there must be reasons for the decision, he didn?t believe it made sense considering the priority that has been placed on attracting larger crowd numbers to grow the length of the AFLW competition.

?It feels like from the outside looking in that it was an opportunity missed and it?s disappointing that the Bulldogs W team clashes with the men?s program,? Gowans said.

?There?ll be reasons behind it, I?m sure, and the AFL would have to be aware of it and they?ve made a decision based on the evidence they?ve got. But from the outside looking in, it?s not ideal.

?I think that?s why the Bulldogs? decision baffles you a little bit. We?re all on board to try and lift the crowds and get the average attendance up to get another game into the season. You just want to have the right timeslots, and the right fixtures to allow us all to do that.

?I think all clubs are on board with that, trying to get that number.?

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Game to be moved to MCG as curtain raiser for the men's final.

josie
29-08-2024, 04:16 PM

Well done doggies mgt for this change. And to Swans for supporting our call for AFEL to better promote AFLW. I’ll be there for at least part of AFLW to cheer the girls on.

Axe Man
29-08-2024, 04:17 PM

Hopefully the surface holds up better than Sedat Park. :D

Axe Man
30-08-2024, 12:24 PM
Ex-coach says 'complacent' Bulldogs are lagging behind (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1207427/really-up-against-it-the-key-issues-that-plagued-lowly-western-bulldogs)

FORMER Western Bulldogs assistant coach Kate McCarthy has identified the key concerns at the club that forced wholesale change over the off-season.

Speaking on AFL.com.au's The W Show, McCarthy went into depth around the club's issues in 2023, which saw it finish at the bottom of the ladder and bid goodbye to head coach Nathan Burke among a host of other players and staff.

"Without going into too many of the trade secrets or the things that actually happened throughout the year at the club, it was really, really tough on 'Burkey' in the sense that the Bulldogs didn't actually have a head of women's football," McCarthy said.

"Debbie Lee was at the club probably two or three seasons ago and since her departure as the head of women's football, they haven't replaced her. So, there was no head of women's football, so poor old Burkey was really up against it."

Lee was appointed as the AFL's national women and girls action plan lead back in August 2022, and was not replaced until March 2024 when the club appointed Patrice Berthold to head up its AFLW program.

"I think the thing they have done really well now is they have appointed a head of women's football post-review," McCarthy said.

In the player movement space, McCarthy identified a "complacent" attitude toward re-signing senior players as a driver behind so much turnover.

"I think with their list management, there was a lot of (complacency) around contract negotiations and offers, which actually ended up being the reason a few of those other senior players actually looked elsewhere or thought 'Okay, maybe I will explore my other options'," McCarthy said.

"I think that really came to hurt the club in regards to those senior players."

Heart and soul player Kirsty Lamb, former No.1 draft pick Gabby Newton, former All-Australian defender Katie Lynch and emerging tall Celine Moody all moved on to other clubs after the 2023 season.

"The really sad thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened at the Western Bulldogs. They are a foundation club, they have been there since day one ? In my opinion, there are expansion clubs who entered the competition two years ago who are in a better position than the Western Bulldogs," McCarthy said.

Throughout the episode the panel also discuss the Bulldogs' captaincy handover, the AFLW's newly introduced ball tracking technology, Sunday's Grand Final rematch, and more.

ledge
30-08-2024, 05:03 PM
Ex-coach says 'complacent' Bulldogs are lagging behind (https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1207427/really-up-against-it-the-key-issues-that-plagued-lowly-western-bulldogs)

FORMER Western Bulldogs assistant coach Kate McCarthy has identified the key concerns at the club that forced wholesale change over the off-season.

Speaking on AFL.com.au's The W Show, McCarthy went into depth around the club's issues in 2023, which saw it finish at the bottom of the ladder and bid goodbye to head coach Nathan Burke among a host of other players and staff.

"Without going into too many of the trade secrets or the things that actually happened throughout the year at the club, it was really, really tough on 'Burkey' in the sense that the Bulldogs didn't actually have a head of women's football," McCarthy said.

"Debbie Lee was at the club probably two or three seasons ago and since her departure as the head of women's football, they haven't replaced her. So, there was no head of women's football, so poor old Burkey was really up against it."

Lee was appointed as the AFL's national women and girls action plan lead back in August 2022, and was not replaced until March 2024 when the club appointed Patrice Berthold to head up its AFLW program.

"I think the thing they have done really well now is they have appointed a head of women's football post-review," McCarthy said.

In the player movement space, McCarthy identified a "complacent" attitude toward re-signing senior players as a driver behind so much turnover.

"I think with their list management, there was a lot of (complacency) around contract negotiations and offers, which actually ended up being the reason a few of those other senior players actually looked elsewhere or thought 'Okay, maybe I will explore my other options'," McCarthy said.

"I think that really came to hurt the club in regards to those senior players."

Heart and soul player Kirsty Lamb, former No.1 draft pick Gabby Newton, former All-Australian defender Katie Lynch and emerging tall Celine Moody all moved on to other clubs after the 2023 season.

"The really sad thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened at the Western Bulldogs. They are a foundation club, they have been there since day one ? In my opinion, there are expansion clubs who entered the competition two years ago who are in a better position than the Western Bulldogs," McCarthy said.

Throughout the episode the panel also discuss the Bulldogs' captaincy handover, the AFLW's newly introduced ball tracking technology, Sunday's Grand Final rematch, and more.

Well some of that was obvious but is it fixed ?
I’m sorry but I just don’t see any light after watching the practice matches.
Have we gone a lot of kids and will build for the future or will
It just stay on repeat and they keep leaving?

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 06:26 PM
Game moved to MCG as previously mentioned.

If you had a ticket, bonus you get access to the men's game too.

Fans who had already bought tickets to the AFLW match will be able to use those tickets at the MCG for the AFLW game, and also have access to the sold-out men's final later that evening.

The Adelaide Connection
30-08-2024, 06:33 PM
Game moved to MCG as previously mentioned.

If you had a ticket, bonus you get access to the men's game too.

Fans who had already bought tickets to the AFLW match will be able to use those tickets at the MCG for the AFLW game, and also have access to the sold-out men's final later that evening.

This is great to see. Lots of people melting down on various corners of the interwebs, but the tickets are coming from tickets NAB had.

My guess is that there was only a very small number of tickets sold- maybe friends and family- most would buy closer to time or just roll up and buy it on the night (not expecting a sellout).

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 06:34 PM
This is great to see. Lots of people melting down on various corners of the interwebs, but the tickets are coming from tickets NAB had.

My guess is that there was only a very small number of tickets sold- maybe friends and family- most would buy closer to time or just roll up and buy it on the night (not expecting a sellout).

Yeah i would think it's a very small number. I feel for those that have missed out who are long term contributors to the club.

The Adelaide Connection
30-08-2024, 06:38 PM
Yeah i would think it's a very small number. I feel for those that have missed out who are long term contributors to the club.

Absolutely. I feel bad enough that I was successful in securing seats while others who are reserved ticket members missed out. This is even though I hold 4x Long distance memberships (with Social club) and two of them have been for over 15 years.

Grantysghost
30-08-2024, 06:39 PM
Absolutely. I feel bad enough that I was successful in securing seats while others who are reserved ticket members missed out. This is even though I hold 4x Long distance memberships (with Social club) and two of them have been for over 15 years.

AH man you shouldn't.

Hotdog60
30-08-2024, 09:11 PM
So this Saturday is the VFL and the AFLW on at the same time?

HOSE B ROMERO
31-08-2024, 11:35 AM

Absolute Classic. How good was 60's tv theme music.

HOSE B ROMERO
31-08-2024, 11:38 AM
So this Saturday is the VFL and the AFLW on at the same time?

Yes not ideal.

Hotdog60
31-08-2024, 12:04 PM
It's a bugger because even though I'm watching on a box I still like to watch as its happening because somewhere in my psyche I know the result is known and it puts a slight damper on the enjoyment. Call me weird I know. :)
Any who stream the VFL and watch the replay of the AFLW on Kayo.

josie
31-08-2024, 03:31 PM
Just looked at Q3 score. Really bad. Wonder if we chose right coach. As some woofers predicted it looks like it’s going to be difficult to enjoy watching girls this season.

comrade
31-08-2024, 05:37 PM
I?m not a big follower but saw the full time score. How can it be that bad?

The Underdog
31-08-2024, 05:41 PM
I?m not a big follower but saw the full time score. How can it be that bad?

You know how Richmond are about to lose most of their good players and be absolutely awful next year, despite already being bad? Well, we’re the template for that.

HOSE B ROMERO
31-08-2024, 06:00 PM
Just looked at Q3 score. Really bad. Wonder if we chose right coach. As some woofers predicted it looks like it’s going to be difficult to enjoy watching girls this season.

Tough times ahead but the club is looking long term.

Hotdog60
31-08-2024, 06:30 PM
Just finished watching the replay after the VFL and boy that was a hard watch. I already have doubts on the coach and some of our new recruits. Did our number 1 draft finish with one touch for the game?
We look slow and no system I hope its just a case of getting used to each other but if this goes on all season I can see Elle getting poached as its easier to leave if your not the captain of the club.
I'll try and stay positive and its just teething and first game nerves. :)

Prince Imperial
31-08-2024, 06:34 PM
In 2020 and 2021, five clubs (Geelong, GC, STK, WC and Richmond) were granted multiple special assistance draft picks by the AFLW. I think we are now in a worse state than any of them were at the time.

The catastrophic state of our list is mostly our own fault, but it's hard to believe that we won't be given something similar probably with the proviso that we trade them for established players. Getting anybody of any quality who would be willing to come us though will likely be the problem.

ledge
01-09-2024, 10:47 AM
In 2020 and 2021, five clubs (Geelong, GC, STK, WC and Richmond) were granted multiple special assistance draft picks by the AFLW. I think we are now in a worse state than any of them were at the time.

The catastrophic state of our list is mostly our own fault, but it's hard to believe that we won't be given something similar probably with the proviso that we trade them for established players. Getting anybody of any quality who would be willing to come us though will likely be the problem.

It’s a young competition and getting young ones into this environment is too much a jump, they could look great at VFLW level but just aren’t up to professional football.
We are going to be in pain for the next two years minimum. It’s terrible it got to this and the club obviously stopped taking it serious and made horrid decisions after the 2017 season, now it’s at its lowest and took to long to realise it.

mjp
01-09-2024, 11:25 AM
The catastrophic state of our list is mostly our own fault, but it's hard to believe that we won't be given something similar probably with the proviso that we trade them for established players.

Mostly???

comrade
01-09-2024, 11:33 AM
What have we done so badly compared to other clubs?

ledge
06-09-2024, 06:19 PM
We are bad, lucky to kick a goal a game but I will say the Grigg girl is extremely good.
Another one who will probably want out at the end of the year. We have nothing to keep players here with these results.

ledge
06-09-2024, 06:24 PM
I will say the umpiring is atrocious not against us but just in general.

bornadog
06-09-2024, 06:55 PM
Just 5 behinds for the women to 7 goals Port at 3qrt time.

They are really struggling

ledge
06-09-2024, 07:19 PM
Just 5 behinds for the women to 7 goals Port at 3qrt time.

They are really struggling

I struggle to find something to be positive about. Team work wise, ball handling, there is nothing except players playing as individuals

josie
06-09-2024, 08:08 PM
I didn?t watch last weeks game. I?m at ?G and watched girls play. I thought they tried hard. Missed a few gettable goals and held Port for long periods too. Port looked more mature, bigger, tougher. If we hold onto our young talent & recruit well I?m hoping we will improve but we?ll need to be patient. Finally putting person in Debbie Lee?s role will help too. Gotta support them through thick and thin.

1eyedog
07-09-2024, 12:14 AM
I didn?t watch last weeks game. I?m at ?G and watched girls play. I thought they tried hard. Missed a few gettable goals and held Port for long periods too. Port looked more mature, bigger, tougher. If we hold onto our young talent & recruit well I?m hoping we will improve but we?ll need to be patient. Finally putting person in Debbie Lee?s role will help too. Gotta support them through thick and thin.

Post Premiership we've been leaking talent like a sieve.

bornadog
11-09-2024, 06:04 PM
Some coa
https://youtu.be/Kp4HBBggmUQching with Toby McLean

Hotdog60
11-09-2024, 09:28 PM
In
Aurora Smith, Brianna McFarlane

Out
Kristie-Lee Weston-Turner (Managed), Cleo Buttifant (Injured)

Backs 3 Isabella Grant 27 Lauren Ahrens

Half Backs 23 Jessica Fitzgerald 17 Elisabeth Georgostathis 11 Elle Bennetts

Centre 6 Maggie Gorham 4 Isabelle Pritchard 37 Rylie Wilcox

Half Forwards 5 Elaine Grigg 7 Deanna Berry 10 Jasmyn Smith

Forwards 26 Analea McKee 15 Sarah Hartwig

Followers 33 Alice Edmonds 2 Ellie Blackburn 8 Dominique Carruthers

Interchange
12 Brooke Barwick 14 Jorja Borg 18 Britney Gutknecht 24 Aurora Smith 58 Brianna McFarlane

Emergencies
19 Heidi Woodley 25 Ellie Gavalas 28 Kaylee Kimber

Hotdog60
11-09-2024, 09:29 PM
Weston-Turner managed after 2 games must be a nice way of dropping you.

ledge
12-09-2024, 09:57 AM
Would this be a worst start by any club since the AFLW started,
2 goals in 3 games ?
Dropping a number 1 draft pick, I don’t see it getting any better.
This is going to be an awful long haul.
Has a coach been sacked during the year in AFLW ?
I know there’s a lot of different reasons why we are in this state but I just can’t see any form of playing for each other or a game plan.

Grantysghost
12-09-2024, 10:21 AM
Would this be a worst start by any club since the AFLW started,
2 goals in 3 games ?
Dropping a number 1 draft pick, I don’t see it getting any better.
This is going to be an awful long haul.
Has a coach been sacked during the year in AFLW ?
I know there’s a lot of different reasons why we are in this state but I just can’t see any form of playing for each other or a game plan.
You have to question the demotion of Blackburn too.
Maybe whatever process they used wasn't as popular as they think?

The percentage tells the story : 12.7

Hopefully we can be more competition at Whitten.

bornadog
12-09-2024, 10:23 AM
You have to question the demotion of Blackburn too.
Maybe whatever process they used wasn't as popular as they think?

The percentage tells the story : 12.7

Hopefully we can be more competition at Whitten.
More than a third of the list was turned over. We have babies playing and it will take time I am afraid.

Will they kick a goal tonight?

ledge
12-09-2024, 11:11 AM
More than a third of the list was turned over. We have babies playing and it will take time I am afraid.

Will they kick a goal tonight?

We have been shite for a while, we draft players and they want out the next year, the “babies” don’t stay.

mjp
12-09-2024, 12:42 PM
Weston-Turner managed after 2 games must be a nice way of dropping you.

I get it 'cos she's young and just running out there to get your teeth kicked in can't be great...managing someone 2-games into a 9-game season does seem a bit outrageous though.

Sadly, when you're getting belted:

1/. Forwards try to get out the back and hit the score sheet so it isn't 'MY' fault.
2/. Mids chase kicks/numbers so it isn't 'MY' fault.
3/. Defenders wont roll off to help - I mean, my player didn't score so it can't be 'MY' fault!

I love the idea and romance of new coaches getting involved in the AFLW program (sorry, programs - this happens around the league) but that is not what our team needs right now. Great clip of Toby McLean and all but not certain how any of that actually helps move the needle forward for this weeks game...and the season is about to tick over the 33% complete mark...

Pleather Sole
12-09-2024, 10:11 PM
Much better effort and results tonight for the Dogs. Plenty to improve but thats how it goes. Hope Blackburn is ok.
Shown a tangible response from the first two games. More pressure, good tackles (some lineball overzealous). Stayed in the contest.

Hotdog60
12-09-2024, 11:11 PM
17 free kicks to 30 was a bit lopsided Blackburn being scragged at every stoppage.
Better effort from the girls. They need to get a bit more separation and change of direction.

bornadog
16-09-2024, 04:04 PM
Ellie Blackburn has been ruled out for the season, needing surgery on a mid-foot ligament. Injury suffered in the dying seconds of the match. - reported by Sarah Black

josie
16-09-2024, 04:29 PM
Ellie Blackburn has been ruled out for the season, needing surgery on a mid-foot ligament. Injury suffered in the dying seconds of the match. - reported by Sarah Black

Geez it’s gonna be hard watching the girls now. Ellie has been a bright light in a pretty somber year. Hope she recovers fully & be the smiling superstar again for us.

Happy Days
16-09-2024, 04:29 PM
This next game is going to be our first ever AFLW game without Ellie. Insane stat.

bornadog
17-09-2024, 06:29 PM
Not looking good

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GXqKCulbUAA3Hd1?format=jpg&name=medium

Mantis
17-09-2024, 06:35 PM
Geez it’s gonna be hard watching the girls now. Ellie has been a bright light in a pretty somber year. Hope she recovers fully & be the smiling superstar again for us.

Harder! Blackburn has won something like 20% of all of all contested possessions thus far so the whole midfield is going to be a ****ing mess.

And they only play the reigning premiers this week who are most probably going to beat our girls by 100+ points... how we got into this situation is embarrassing for the club.

ledge
18-09-2024, 10:38 AM
At this rate our new coach could be under huge scrutiny after just a few games , are we that horrid or are we backing this coach/ management to build over the next few years?

Hotdog60
18-09-2024, 11:51 AM
I think we back her for a couple of seasons as this is basically a rebuild and the only fear now is that Ellie is not the captain she will look elsewhere and could pick a team that is in its window. It will all depend on if she likes the idea of a one club player and games record holder.
We need to keep hitting the draft over the next few seasons and see if we can build a list that will stick together and maintain a good level of success.

azabob
18-09-2024, 02:14 PM
At this rate our new coach could be under huge scrutiny after just a few games , are we that horrid or are we backing this coach/ management to build over the next few years?

Ledge we have shown over the last few seasons just how horrid we are. There is more pain to come if you consider who we moved on last year and now Blackburn is out for the season.

We do not have a choice but to back in the coach.

Grantysghost
18-09-2024, 02:23 PM
We were actually really good this week.

Was an impressive performance showed some progress has been made already.
Pritchard is going to be a bona fide star.

Loved the way Grigg attacked the ball she is fearless.

HOSE B ROMERO
18-09-2024, 07:53 PM
Match showing on 7mate from 7.15

Hotdog60
18-09-2024, 08:39 PM
Ball lived in the lions forward 50 for the whole quarter.
I think the main focus of this game is to put any score on the board.

Grantysghost
18-09-2024, 08:43 PM
Ball lived in the lions forward 50 for the whole quarter.
I think the main focus of this game is to put any score on the board.
Midfield are witches hats. Ellie out.

Let's hope we can be more competitive. 17 to 1 inside 50s is dire.

josie
18-09-2024, 09:02 PM
Showing a bit in Q2. Gee that free & 50m penalty to Lions was cruel. Surely if you bounce ball you are still in possession?

Hotdog60
18-09-2024, 09:07 PM
Showing a bit in Q2. Gee that free & 50m penalty to Lions was cruel. Surely if you bounce ball you are still in possession?

That's how I saw it and Smith gave the ball back is it her problem the player is still on the ground the 50 was stiff as well.
We make things look hard.

josie
18-09-2024, 09:12 PM
Sarah Hartwig no.15 has come on in leaps & bounds. Maggie Gorgham no.6 looks good too. And we know Rylie Wilcox no.37 is a zippy skilled player. Alice Edmonds our ruck gives her all too. Backline ok considering Lions had it on string for Q1 and first half Q2. Not all is dark. Reminds me of when men’s seniors were cellar dwellers and you got a bit of joy focusing on the positive eg improvement in young ones & effort across team even when being pummelled.

Go girls.

weltschmerz
18-09-2024, 10:08 PM
This season was always going to be a disaster, but I'm optimistic about our future. Our under-21s have some future stars, and some of our most consistent players in Grant, Pritchard, Georgostathis, and Hartwig are all only 22. Just need more time and games into them.

The Pie Man
18-09-2024, 10:11 PM

That’s close to the worst double call I’ve seen in any level of footy.

Admirable effort after quarter time

Hotdog60
18-09-2024, 10:13 PM
Better 2nd half by the girls. Edmonds did a great job I would like to see her tap it on sometimes rather than take it the hands a couple of times there were players clear going past and she would grab it to handball rather than tap it in there direction hence it becomes another stoppage.
Still a lot of grit just lacks some polish.

josie
18-09-2024, 11:38 PM
Gradual improvement since R1 debacle. Loved the grit & spirit & team camaraderie the girls showed tonight. Thought our defence after Q1 (which I missed) was pretty good.

Mantis
19-09-2024, 09:55 AM
Gradual improvement since R1 debacle. Loved the grit & spirit & team camaraderie the girls showed tonight. Thought our defence after Q1 (which I missed) was pretty good.

The defence held up pretty well in Q1 given the ball lived inside the Lions F50 for pretty much the entire qtr.

Last night was the first time I have watched our team for an extended period, my main thoughts based on that game (not taking into account the opposition are very good):

- our fitness levels are subpar. If you do not have the talent you need to be able to work harder, and we can not.
- our skill level is subpar. We just can not move the ball with any fluency or even just keep possession when we are under fire.

The commitment to compete is at the expected level, but we are miles off the pace.

Testekill
21-09-2024, 05:47 PM
Grigg is looking like an absolute beauty but it's hard to be positive about us at the moment, we're just in the middle of nowhere and can't gain any positive momentum in development.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 02:07 PM
Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs 3.05 this afternoon.

Big opportunity this afternoon against fellow strugglers. The pies are without their first choice midfield. Go Dogs!

Hotdog60
22-09-2024, 04:28 PM
Some iffy frees in that first quarter after the Pies got of to a flyer I thought we steady well just again lacking a bit of polish.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 04:44 PM
Woodley goals and a much deserved goal to put us in front.

Hotdog60
22-09-2024, 04:54 PM
Good second quarter by the dogs they look up for it.

Prince Imperial
22-09-2024, 04:56 PM
Heidi is killing it...

Hartwig super impressive.

bornadog
22-09-2024, 04:57 PM
Must go on with it and notch up our first win.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 04:59 PM
Dogs lead 24-15 half time.

I missed the first quarter but was quite impressed with what i saw in the second. Skills were ok and some great efforts eg Grant's spoil when running the same way as the ball which would have been a certain pies mark. Reminiscent of her Dad. She then gathered and executed a perfect 35 metre pass.
Just need to think through the kick into the forward 50.

azabob
22-09-2024, 05:23 PM
Grigg has a heap of talent. I think we can use her a bit more than we are.

azabob
22-09-2024, 05:26 PM
The gals don’t give up junk time goals, they kick em.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 05:28 PM
Bring it home girls.

Hotdog60
22-09-2024, 05:30 PM
That's got to be the best quarter by the girls for quiet a long time including last season. Pressure has been good, very good quarter by Wlicox and Grigg.

josie
22-09-2024, 05:34 PM
I’m out this arvo. So looking forward to replay. We showed positive signs last week. Bring it home girls!!!

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 05:44 PM
And the bulldog chant goes up!

azabob
22-09-2024, 05:47 PM
Grigg has been so clean today, picking the ball up at pace.

azabob
22-09-2024, 05:51 PM
8 goals in a row.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 05:54 PM
Dogs win 9 3 57 pies 2 3 15

Prince Imperial
22-09-2024, 05:55 PM
Hope.

HOSE B ROMERO
22-09-2024, 05:55 PM
Well done. Great to see smiles on their faces. Should do wonders for their confidence.

bornadog
22-09-2024, 05:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GYD98soaMAAs2s9?format=jpg&name=small

ledge
22-09-2024, 05:59 PM
Very impressed with the improvement over the last two games, a win will change whole the dynamic and confidence of this group.
Admittedly it was against Collingwood but after the first few games I couldn’t see us getting close to anyone.
Really used handball as a team and connected extremely well.
Some good signs from the young and older players, Grigg , Gorham and Wilcox very impressive.
The backline had a structure that came together, if we can get the same from our forward line we will start climbing the ladder.
Practically spent the whole game in our forward line and we still didn’t seem to connect . It must be a bulldog thing.
But big congratulations to the girls it won’t be the long arduous season I expected now.

bornadog
22-09-2024, 06:16 PM
Great to see the girls sing the song with gusto

https://x.com/7AFL/status/1837749108112519217

Hotdog60
22-09-2024, 07:23 PM
The duck is broken :)

I see Eleanor Brown at the back of the huddle I wonder where's she at? Put back on the list but hasn't played a game.

1eyedog
22-09-2024, 08:00 PM

I see Eleanor Brown at the back of the huddle I wonder where's she at? Put back on the list but hasn't played a game.

Injured most of last season.

Good to see the new guard get a win.

weltschmerz
22-09-2024, 08:40 PM
Pritchard is going to be captain sooner rather than later. Gun.

The Underdog
22-09-2024, 10:36 PM

Not listed on the injury list. She’d be a starter based on talent, so either she’s still not completely right or her fitness isn’t back to where it needs to be. It’s very worrying.

Awesome win by the girls. Given I thought there was no way they’d win a game this year, that’s a great win. Probably hit the right team at the right time, but good to see some progress.

azabob
23-09-2024, 09:23 AM
I have not been watching the girls as close as I have in previous season, but I did think during the week the injury to Blackburn could be a blessing in disguise.

Rather than relying on our marquee player to win the game off her own boot they all took individual responsibility to get the job done.

Grigg is clearly a talent and a huge shout out to Alice Edmonds who I thought played an unheralded role in yesterday’s match.

josie
23-09-2024, 12:55 PM
Not involved in eye catching passages but I really like Maggie Gorham. Moves & looks a bit like Elle and Maggie has been gritty in backline and looks skilful enough to possibly make it as a mid if needed.

Mantis
24-09-2024, 11:16 AM

Injured most of last season.

Not listed on the injury list. She’d be a starter based on talent, so either she’s still not completely right or her fitness isn’t back to where it needs to be. It’s very worrying.

In her last game at the back end of 2022, she suffered a concussion... I believe her absence since then is related to this issue.

Given the length of time it is indeed worrying to if she will get back to playing.

Axe Man
24-09-2024, 05:42 PM
In her last game at the back end of 2022, she suffered a concussion... I believe her absence since then is related to this issue.

Given the length of time it is indeed worrying to if she will get back to playing.

I think what HD and others are pondering is why she hasn't played since being re-added to the list after apparently recovering from her health issues. Perhaps still awaiting medical clearance?

Brown re-added to AFLW Primary List (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1527214/brown-re-added-to-aflw-primary-list)

The Western Bulldogs are pleased to confirm that Eleanor Brown has been re-added to the club?s AFLW Primary List.

Eleanor was unable to take the field last season due to health reasons and was subsequently placed on the club?s Inactive List at the end of the year.

Eleanor has since made significant progress and returned to the AFLW Bulldogs Primary List on April 1, 2024.

The AFL has provided exceptional circumstances approval to re-add Brown to the list without having to remove another player ahead of the 2024 Season.

The Club thanks the AFL for their understanding.

Testekill
24-09-2024, 05:51 PM
I hope that Ellie gets cleared to return soon.

azabob
24-09-2024, 06:13 PM
I hope that Ellie gets cleared to return soon.

Not this season. Apparently she cannot put weight on her foot for at least six weeks.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-09-2024, 08:10 PM
Match about to start against the Swans at Whitten oval. Big test to back up last weeks win.

josie
27-09-2024, 08:43 PM
Berry growing in captains role - well done. Hartwig’s goal was a beauty too.

Umpiring poor again. Tackled player falls forward and umps play in the back. Seriously!!

Hotdog60
27-09-2024, 09:09 PM
Good effort so far if Alice had nailed her shot we would be in front.
Hopefully Borg's knee isn't a bad one.

Happy Days
27-09-2024, 10:05 PM
That was an awesome game.

HOSE B ROMERO
27-09-2024, 10:09 PM
FAntastic effort again by the girls. Dominated the second half and deserved to win by more. Gutsy stuff.

Daughter of the West
27-09-2024, 10:10 PM
And first win back at the Kennel since 2022! They deserved it given how much time the ball spent in the Dogs 50 in that last quarter.

ledge
27-09-2024, 11:06 PM
What an unbelievable turn around from the first 4 games.
Confidence is through the roof , team work and trusting each other has clicked and the backline has a great set up .
I guess next game is the test. If we can get anywhere near North we are really pushing the improvement.

1eyedog
27-09-2024, 11:36 PM
Great pressure. A real team building win. The nucleus is there the team has started to come together and the hunger is there.

Great win.

Eastdog
28-09-2024, 12:47 AM
Haven’t followed it as much the AFLW but great to hear that things are on the up.

Go Dogs!

The Adelaide Connection
28-09-2024, 05:11 AM
Needs a reminder that Blackburn has been out the last two games.

Things were dire before and the thought of losing her didn't bode well- so to see this level of turnaround/improvement is extra impressive!

Hotdog60
28-09-2024, 09:10 AM
It might of been the case of letting Ellie do all the grunt work because of who she is and what she is capable of now she's not there others have lifted and that may also been the case of Lamb in there as well.
It's taken a while for others now to find their feet in where they fit in. I know Fitzgerald was one of the leading possession winners but I would like to see more and I get the feeling its a fitness thing because her build and skill should be producing more and this gets down to the Womens short seasons and most likely short preseason to go with it.
The Swans did look very good in the way they moved the ball and their team looked have bigger bodies around the contest I notice there was more blocking for their team mates than what we did they seemed to pick up quickly who was going for the ball and protect the space to allow their team mate to get a run at it.
We are learning and it will be a slow build but the signs early are starting to look better if we can grow together and not lose players the future has a bit of a spark.
Go Dogs

azabob
28-09-2024, 09:23 AM
It might of been the case of letting Ellie do all the grunt work because of who she is and what she is capable of now she's not there others have lifted and that may also been the case of Lamb in there as well.
It's taken a while for others now to find their feet in where they fit in. I know Fitzgerald was one of the leading possession winners but I would like to see more and I get the feeling its a fitness thing because her build and skill should be producing more and this gets down to the Womens short seasons and most likely short preseason to go with it.
The Swans did look very good in the way they moved the ball and their team looked have bigger bodies around the contest I notice there was more blocking for their team mates than what we did they seemed to pick up quickly who was going for the ball and protect the space to allow their team mate to get a run at it.
We are learning and it will be a slow build but the signs early are starting to look better if we can grow together and not lose players the future has a bit of a spark.
Go Dogs

I said something very similar on the reliance on Ellie in this thread after the Pies game.

I reckon last night enforces that.

The team is changing before our eyes.

Tam Hyett is doing an amazing job.

ledge
28-09-2024, 09:24 AM
Go Dogs
The key to this is your final statement “ not to lose players “ hopefully that has been addressed over the off season , I noticed some players are extending their contract so we might have fixed up a lot of errors off field in regard to looking after/ keeping players.

josie
28-09-2024, 12:15 PM
I’m very happy Fitzy & Berry are playing so well. Seeing the game on boundary line makes you appreciate how fit & tough you need to be to play it.

Weston Turner looking more comfortable now, need Johnson’s help with goal kicking, although I do like that she kicks for goal low & hard.

Lovely vision on twitter (correction - on insta) of Blackburn and injured player (cannot recall her name) jump for joy after the win from stands.

Shout out to my new fave Maggie Gorham-Onya Maggie!!