PDA

View Full Version : D Hannebery - time does not heal all wounds

SonofScray
08-02-2024, 01:08 PM
Get a load of this flog.

It adds a little bit of extra joy that our flag absolutely physically and mentally crippled this bloke.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/02/07/some-of-those-free-kick-goals-why-former-swan-finds-it-hard-to-move-on-from/

bornadog
08-02-2024, 01:25 PM
Agree - He is an absolute flog

Not that we have anything to prove but:

Besides free kicks, Key Stats;

* Cont.Poss 172 to 149
* Stoppage Clearances: 28 to 22 - Centre Clearances 8 to 9
* Inside 50s - 59 to 41

These stats are more lob sided in the last quarter where they hardly had the ball inside 50.

Grantysghost
08-02-2024, 01:32 PM
G if you want to merge my earlier post into this thread all good.

Dry Rot
08-02-2024, 01:49 PM
In other news, 102 year old Fritz Wagner, a former major in the Wehrmacht, claimed that the Russians cheated and Nazi Germany deserved to win the war.

hujsh
08-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Look, I have more sympathy for a player who was out there on the field lamenting that lost opportunity and looking for someone to share the blame with than I do the supporters.

Though lets be real it's not like we don't bring up 97 and 09 on here for a good whinge from time to time.

Grantysghost
08-02-2024, 02:10 PM
Here's what I say to DH.

https://i.postimg.cc/2yt1Sj0L/Mematic-20240208-131003.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

SquirrelGrip
08-02-2024, 02:18 PM
Though lets be real it's not like we don't bring up 97 and 09 on here for a good whinge from time to time.

And don't forget 21.

Anyone on here old enough to know if we should be whingeing about 61?

bornadog
08-02-2024, 02:35 PM
And don't forget 21.

what's 21 :D

hujsh
08-02-2024, 02:45 PM
what's 21 :D

1921, we must have lost a VFA final or something

Bulldog4life
08-02-2024, 02:46 PM
And don't forget 21.

Me. I was only 10 years old but I was there. We were leading at half time too.

SonofScray
08-02-2024, 03:10 PM
Look, I have more sympathy for a player who was out there on the field lamenting that lost opportunity and looking for someone to share the blame with than I do the supporters.

Not DH though.

Absolute sook.

https://youtu.be/c0cHmHImWnI?si=ebKeEbwrl9FunipX

Get rekt, as the kids would say.

angelopetraglia
08-02-2024, 03:28 PM
Have a sook. Gee whiz.

SquirrelGrip
08-02-2024, 03:32 PM
1921, we must have lost a VFA final or something

Correct. In 1921 after finishing minor Premiers, we lost to Williamstown in the Grand Final by 3 goals.

Two weeks earlier, the final between Footscray and Williamstown on 8 October was abandoned midway through the third quarter when the ground was hit by a heavy hailstorm, forcing the game to be replayed the following week. Williamstown was leading by four points at the time of the storm. The match was abandoned at Williamstown's insistence; Footscray preferred to return to the field after the hail delay.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-02-2024, 03:45 PM
Players carrying injuries? Is he assuming all our guys were 100%? Morris played with a broken back ffs. Roughead was probably half blind and they're the only ones we know about.

And I don't think applying a 2024 umpiring lens to a game in 2016 is a smart way to go about it.

I can understand the Swans and fans would feel like they were hard done by. I don't agree with them but the calls went our way. But we were also the more aggressive team. We also had some howlers go against us like the JJ goal overturn and the missed push on Wood in defence that led to a goal. It's easy to pick out all the iffy calls that went in our favour due to the lopsided free kick count but you could find just as many going the other way which is conveniently ignored.

I don't actually remember many free kicks resulting in direct goals for us. That htb call on rampe was easily htb back then.
Edit: looks a bit iffy looking back on it. But it didn't result in a direct goal.

Axe Man
08-02-2024, 04:00 PM
I could be wrong but the only free kicks that lead directly to goals I believe were Cordy's first which was HTB every day of the week and twice on Sundays and Boyd taking the advantage after another blatantly obvious HTB for Morris on Buddy.

I'm not even sure what the Rampe one was but if we ended up with a goal I don't believe it was a direct result of the decision.

josie
08-02-2024, 04:36 PM
And Clay?s goal-minimal head contact was there, yes he made sure ump knew as most would. Boo hoo swans. Umps missed a few for us too. Wasn?t the difference between winning & losing though.

SonofScray
08-02-2024, 05:26 PM
Longmire and DH have been at it for years since the defeat, at every opportunity trying to rewrite history. It’s turning into a case of if someone repeats something enough, it makes it true.

Absolute sooks. I am glad it burns them.

Bulldog Joe
08-02-2024, 05:31 PM
I could be wrong but the only free kicks that lead directly to goals I believe were Cordy's first which was HTB every day of the week and twice on Sundays and Boyd taking the advantage after another blatantly obvious HTB for Morris on Buddy.

I'm not even sure what the Rampe one was but if we ended up with a goal I don't believe it was a direct result of the decision.

The iffy free was to Clay Smith for very light contact high.
The Rampe one indirectly led to a shot from close in that Macrae missed as I recall it.

Axe Man
08-02-2024, 05:47 PM
The Rampe one indirectly led to a shot from close in that Macrae missed as I recall it.

Ah missed that one. So 1 iffy free that resulted in a goal - there would be at least 1 in every single game played in history!

bulldogsthru&thru
08-02-2024, 06:06 PM

No, the rampe one led to a kick inside 50 where Smith got the iffy free. 2 iffy frees leading to 1 goal!

The Smith one was there though. I mean, there wasn't much in it but there was high contact.

The Rampe one upon looking back at it looked harsh. But then, I'd like to know how htb was judged back then. It changes every bloody round let alone season so its hard to judge watching 7 years later. He took several players on but eventually got rid of it. If you took on 2 players without disposing of it, was it htb back in 2016?

Grantysghost
08-02-2024, 06:08 PM
Longmire and DH have been at it for years since the defeat, at every opportunity trying to rewrite history. It’s turning into a case of if someone repeats something enough, it makes it true.

Absolute sooks. I am glad it burns them.
Longmire created a victim mentality that lingers to this day.
Inspired leadership.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-02-2024, 06:17 PM
Longmire created a victim mentality that lingers to this day.
Inspired leadership.

The amount of game defining plays we had that day compared to them yet they should've won because they got a few stiff calls and had a couple guys carrying injuries.

Victim mentality 101.

To add, I've had it said to me that if Buddy hadn't rolled his ankle he wouldn't have been tackled by Morris. Again, Morris had a broken back yet still managed to lay the tackle.

Grantysghost
08-02-2024, 06:38 PM
The amount of game defining plays we had that day compared to them yet they should've won because they got a few stiff calls and had a couple guys carrying injuries.

Victim mentality 101.

To add, I've had it said to me that if Buddy hadn't rolled his ankle he wouldn't have been tackled by Morris. Again, Morris had a broken back yet still managed to lay the tackle.

It's an echo chamber filled by the void of small club hypo presence in main steam media. Yes I made that term up ;)

Where's comrade!

Bulldog Joe
08-02-2024, 09:37 PM
The free kick count was 20 to 8 but I can remember one of the 8 was completely the wrong call.

Qtr 1 Naismith leads with a foot to JJs chest, for a loose ball,and gets a free for JJ trying to defend himself by pushing the foot away.
Should have been a free to JJ for rough play.

Happened RIGHT in front of me

ReLoad
09-02-2024, 08:08 AM
better call a WHHAAAAAAAAAAAA-bulance.

There's no doubt that some decisions were wrong, and we certainly did get a good rub of the green, but you make your own luck, every single premiership win has a series of lucky moments throughout the whole season, to be honest Dan as it turned out, the reason we won was we had more ticker than the swans which got us over the line.

GVGjr
09-02-2024, 08:57 AM
I think they're wrong in their assessments but honestly we are kidding ourselves if we don't think as supporters we wouldn't be carrying the same negative thoughts or having whinge from time to time about all the what if scenario's had we lost that GF and the only reason why our GF loss in 21 isn't a bigger deal for many of our supporters is that we had won one in 16.

It's natural to think back in heartbreaking losses and focus on missed opportunities.

Topdog
09-02-2024, 09:03 AM
21 is an interesting one, we have literally nothing to blame other than our own ineptness. I disagree though that it isnt a big deal, it's still brought up frequently here in that the same problems that occurred in the last 30 minutes of that game continue to happen every 2nd week.

Lets hope its finally addressed this year.

ledge
09-02-2024, 09:11 AM
21 we got smashed after halftime , no matter how one eyed you are they belted us fair and square.

Happy Days
09-02-2024, 09:14 AM
https://youtu.be/V9O94UTDAJQ?si=se2YjCgJ9xihV3Ri

The Bulldogs Bite
09-02-2024, 02:26 PM
https://youtu.be/V9O94UTDAJQ?si=se2YjCgJ9xihV3Ri

Classic.

Send to DH.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-02-2024, 02:32 PM
21 we got smashed after halftime , no matter how one eyed you are they belted us fair and square.

Luckily for us we dropped our bundle in a year where the premiership didn't count. We at least won a real flag. Imagine if we'd have lost 16 but won 21 instead. We can pretend it's a real flag all we want but deep down we'd all know it was like an ansett cup. A tier above aflx at least. Hope that makes any demon fans reading this feel a little better.

ledge
09-02-2024, 02:33 PM
Why are they actually even talking about it , it’s 7 years ago.
Are they going to bring out a Collingwood player next who claims the ball was out when Harmes knocked it back or Tony liberatore on the prelim goal that wasn’t given ?
It’s not going to change anything so many years ago.
All players who lost a grand final will be disappointed or you wouldn’t be playing the game.
Nonsense stuff.

ledge
09-02-2024, 02:34 PM
Luckily for us we dropped our bundle in a year where the premiership didn't count. We at least won a real flag. Imagine if we'd have lost 16 but won 21 instead. We can pretend it's a real flag all we want but deep down we'd all know it was like an ansett cup. A tier above aflx at least. Hope that makes any demon fans reading this feel a little better.

Haha sadly I would be surprised if any Melbourne supporters are on here.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-02-2024, 02:37 PM
I think they're wrong in their assessments but honestly we are kidding ourselves if we don't think as supporters we wouldn't be carrying the same negative thoughts or having whinge from time to time about all the what if scenario's had we lost that GF and the only reason why our GF loss in 21 isn't a bigger deal for many of our supporters is that we had won one in 16.

It's natural to think back in heartbreaking losses and focus on missed opportunities.

The only real "costly" call in that whole game was the JJ overrule. That would have been criminal. Incorrectly overturning a call through review at that stage of the game.
I still get angry watching that.....

Thankfully our half blind ruckman marked the resulting kickout. I'm not sure how he did that though given DH logic suggests injured players cost them a flag. Strange. Someone better tell him about Nigel Lappin too.

bulldogsthru&thru
09-02-2024, 02:37 PM
Haha sadly I would be surprised if any Melbourne supporters are on here.

Tell your friends.

EasternWest
09-02-2024, 05:51 PM

This is exactly what make it delicious: It didn't happen to us.

Go_Dogs
11-02-2024, 07:59 AM
Does DH stand for Dick-Head?

Only just catching up on this. Funny they’ve still got a need to ask / comment / run with this narrative all these years later. Still, don’t mind it as it just makes me reflect on the day and how bloody awesome it was. Standing on my chair yelling “overturn that one” after Boyd kicked his goal a lasting memory - and probably a result of the biggest and potentially game changing umpiring miss from the day (JJ’s overturned goal) which doesn’t get hardly enough airtime.

Twodogs
11-02-2024, 02:05 PM

Only just catching up on this. Funny they’ve still got a need to ask / comment / run with this narrative all these years later. Still, don’t mind it as it just makes me reflect on the day and how bloody awesome it was. Standing on my chair yelling “overturn that one” after Boyd kicked his goal a lasting memory - and probably a result of the biggest and potentially game changing umpiring miss from the day (JJ’s overturned goal) which doesn’t get hardly enough airtime.

Back on the early '80s I was at a training session when there was a huge downpour. They opened up the dressing room for the dozen or so supporters who were there because there was nowhere to go to get away from the rain outside.

Anyway I played cricket with the team manager and he asked me to make myself useful and get the cards that marked the players' attendance at training, it was sort of like a school roll call.

So I went and got it and next to each player listed it also had their initials. Next to Doug Hawkins initials someone had placed an asterisk and at the bottom they had written "Also answers to the name 'Dick Head' "

Happy Days
11-02-2024, 04:22 PM

Only just catching up on this. Funny they’ve still got a need to ask / comment / run with this narrative all these years later.

Well what else are they gonna ask him about? All that awesome footy he played after 2016?

GVGjr
11-02-2024, 05:02 PM
I listened to the interview and there really isn't a lot in what he said. The article focuses on a couple of the headline comments.

jeemak
11-02-2024, 05:59 PM
I listened to the interview and there really isn't a lot in what he said. The article focuses on a couple of the headline comments.

Even in the article I read he said we'd been playing amazing football all finals.

I think what's bad is the AFL legitimised the sooking, albeit, by only conceding four decisions were incorrect including a couple of non-decisions for sliding and the ramp holding the ball.

The AFL backed the decision to overturn JJs goal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afls-review-of-grand-final-finds-umpiring-was-not-up-to-the-standard-expected/news-story/4e760a1f4843a76ae52dc8b60ec163ea

In 2012 the Swans won the GF in a close one against the Hawks, even though they lost the free kick count by 11. Free kicks (a few less to us, a few more to them) may have kept it marginally closer for a while in 2016, but we were always going to win it.

Grantysghost
11-02-2024, 06:25 PM

There is a really intense aporophobic sentiment since we won the flag that the media has worked out and endeavours to tap into.

The bourgeoisie like to keep their foot on the working classes and when they bleed too high through the ceiling the sentiment shifts.

GVGjr
11-02-2024, 06:27 PM
Even in the article I read he said we'd been playing amazing football all finals.

I think what's bad is the AFL legitimised the sooking, albeit, by only conceding four decisions were incorrect including a couple of non-decisions for sliding and the ramp holding the ball.

The AFL backed the decision to overturn JJs goal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afls-review-of-grand-final-finds-umpiring-was-not-up-to-the-standard-expected/news-story/4e760a1f4843a76ae52dc8b60ec163ea

In 2012 the Swans won the GF in a close one against the Hawks, even though they lost the free kick count by 11. Free kicks may have kept it closer for a while in 2016, but we were always going to win it.

Yes, he said we were the playing the best football. He even thought highly that Easton Wood reached out to him given his injury.

ledge
11-02-2024, 08:06 PM
Tell your friends.

Being a braybrook boy I’ve never known a Melbourne supporter. It was basically dogs or pies back then with a couple of Italian blues supporters.

Twodogs
12-02-2024, 09:57 PM
Being a braybrook boy I’ve never known a Melbourne supporter. It was basically dogs or pies back then with a couple of Italian blues supporters.

Same as living in Yarraville. Although there was one kid around the corner who was related to a Melbourne player called Gary Hardiman who is the only Melbourne supporter who was a friend of mine.

Happy Days
13-02-2024, 11:23 AM
Same as living in Yarraville. Although there was one kid around the corner who was related to a Melbourne player called Gary Hardiman who is the only Melbourne supporter who was a friend of mine.

There’s a full on Max Gawn mural in Yarraville on the side of a house near the train station that I’ve been trying to work up the courage to cap for 3 years.

There was also that bozo that hung a bunch of professionally made Dees banners on the side of his $3m house on Stephen St before the 2021 GF that thought he would bear no consequences.

dadsgirl16
13-02-2024, 12:03 PM
that Bozo has just spent a fortune on a renovation

Twodogs
13-02-2024, 01:02 PM
There’s a full on Max Gawn mural in Yarraville on the side of a house near the train station that I’ve been trying to work up the courage to cap for 3 years.

There was also that bozo that hung a bunch of professionally made Dees banners on the side of his $3m house on Stephen St before the 2021 GF that thought he would bear no consequences.

I haven't seen the Gawn mural.
I'll check it out.

bornadog
13-02-2024, 02:02 PM
Anyone remember Hannebery's father Matt who played 32 games at Footscray between 1986 and 1990?

D Mitchell
13-02-2024, 02:49 PM
Anyone remember Hannebery's father Matt who played 32 games at Footscray between 1986 and 1990?
Yes. No 36. In and out. Half back, from memory, it was a long time ago. He came to us from Old Xavs and went back and coached his old club after finishing up with us. He was related to Tony Hannebery, President of Williamstown around that time. From memory, on that fightback Sunday in 1989 at Western Oval when Peter Gordon pulled out his master stroke, calling on the players and the "Board" to come on to the Oval then announced "We have the players and our Board, now all we need is some money ", Tony was named as club president. Great motivation and the revival was on. So the Hannebery family has a bit of history with the club. We should go easy on Dan.

bornadog
13-02-2024, 04:21 PM
Yes. No 36. In and out. Half back, from memory, it was a long time ago. He came to us from Old Xavs and went back and coached his old club after finishing up with us. He was related to Tony Hannebery, President of Williamstown around that time. From memory, on that fightback Sunday in 1989 at Western Oval when Peter Gordon pulled out his master stroke, calling on the players and the "Board" to come on to the Oval then announced "We have the players and our Board, now all we need is some money ", Tony was named as club president. Great motivation and the revival was on. So the Hannebery family has a bit of history with the club. We should go easy on Dan.

Thanks, didn't realise Tony was a relation as well.

Axe Man
13-02-2024, 04:25 PM
I haven't seen the Gawn mural.
I'll check it out.

Right after you pop down to Bunnings for a few cans of spray paint that are for a totally unrelated purpose? ;)

Twodogs
14-02-2024, 12:45 AM
Right after you pop down to Bunnings for a few cans of spray paint that are for a totally unrelated purpose? ;)

If anyone asks I'm thinking of taking up huffing aerosols.

Axe Man
14-02-2024, 11:04 AM
If anyone asks I'm thinking of taking up huffing aerosols.

https://i.postimg.cc/3xWPRPGT/glue.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Bulldog Revolution
14-02-2024, 11:21 AM

Yeah - chronic hamstring issues cursed him if I remember correctly - always looked like he was a good player and could have been even better

Twodogs
19-02-2024, 09:39 PM

Bought some raffle tickets from him for the players' end of season trip fund at a district cricket match at the Western Oval back in the late '80s.

Testekill
27-02-2024, 11:04 AM
You make your own luck, Swans should have considered not taking multiple injured players into the grand final who ended up accomplishing barely anything.

ledge
27-02-2024, 11:51 AM
You make your own luck, Swans should have considered not taking multiple injured players into the grand final who ended up accomplishing barely anything.

We took a gamble taking injured players into the finals and Morris had a broken back .
The swans injuries happened during the game.
The Franklin one was very minor but the media jumped on it so they could use at as an excuse if they lost and how heroic he was if they won.
Kennedy was knocked out a game or two before IIRC and he was their best player by a country mile.
We had more under done players going into the finals but it was a godsend as they were fresh had nothing to lose and gave it their all.
Basically we played as a tight knit team which Richmond and the Pies have taken on board since.

Sedat
27-02-2024, 12:21 PM
You make your own luck
Yep, as one of my old bosses once said to me "excuses are boring". Total loser's limp mentality. When the whips were cracking with 10 minutes to go in the GF, we won every single contest that mattered. Fark him and fark the Swans, we got the chocolates and glory will be ours forever.

Testekill
27-02-2024, 12:51 PM
We took a gamble taking injured players into the finals and Morris had a broken back .
The swans injuries happened during the game.
The Franklin one was very minor but the media jumped on it so they could use at as an excuse if they lost and how heroic he was if they won.
Kennedy was knocked out a game or two before IIRC and he was their best player by a country mile.
We had more under done players going into the finals but it was a godsend as they were fresh had nothing to lose and gave it their all.
Basically we played as a tight knit team which Richmond and the Pies have taken on board since.

Mills & McGlynn were both bought back in despite clearly not being recovered. It was pure arrogance to bring in multiple underdone players into a grand final, we were beaten up but cracked in the entire time.