PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs vs Hawthorn - Practice Game 23/02/24

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 03:24 PM
This is the match-day thread for our practice game vs the Hawks.

With the Hawks having a number a couple of injuries to key defenders plus they have just added Ethan Phillips.
It might force Sicely into a different role and Darcy will likely cover Marra if he isn't ready to play this week and that should really stretch the Hawks defenders.

The midfield match-ups should be a good contest with English, Bont, Treloar, Libba, Daniel and Sanders vs Reeves, Newcombe, Worpel, Amon, Ward and Maginness.

The Hawks forwards could be a handful as well with Gunston, Lewis, Bruest, the exciting Nick Watson, Ginnivan and Moore
should prove to be a challenge for our defenders.

I know it's a practice game and we won't fire all our shots this early but the Hawks could give us a good run.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on which 26 players we should take into this encounter and which players you would like to see be given a chance in this game?

mighty_west
20-02-2024, 03:57 PM
Do we know for sure there will be only 26 players used for this game? I watched some off the Dees v Tigers on Foxtel and didn't actually realize they were playing for 7 terms rather than the 4 quarters and rotating every available player, seemed to be a great idea to give all healthy listed players a run.

On paper the Hawks forward line looks very decent, if only Gunstan and Bruest were 6 years younger i guess and will be interesting to see how Gunstan goes after struggling up in Brissy, we know Ginnivan can be dangerous on his day but lacks that consistency and i'm sure alot of us will have an interest in watching young Watson as he was touted as one of our favourtes for our first selection in last years draft, although i'm certainly not complaining about landing Sanders given his pre season reports.

Losing three big men will hurt them, Koschitzke traded, Blanck ACL and DGB turf toe who all played well against us late last season so we'd expect our forwards to dominate, as you said Gary the midfield battle will be a good one, we don't have Smith obviously but they're missing Will Day which is huge for them.

I can see us giving a few younger guys a run and maybe a stronger outfit in the next pre season game, Gallagher, Sanders, Clarke, Bramble (if fit) etc.

bornadog
20-02-2024, 04:13 PM
I thought Ameet said there was a second game at 1:50pm. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I listened again to the SEN interview. All players fit will get a run over several terms, bit like what Mighty West mentioned above.

The following week will be a proper match.

54Bulldog16
20-02-2024, 04:14 PM
Hawks with a fair few big man injuries, they are building though. Is it to cliche to say a small win with no injuries would be nice?

Axe Man
20-02-2024, 04:20 PM
I thought Ameet said there was a second game at 1:50pm. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I listened again to the SEN interview. All players fit will get a run over several terms, bit like what Mighty West mentioned above.

The following week will be a proper match.

The 2024 Season Launch will occur after the scheduled practice matches for both the AFL (11am start) and VFL teams (1:50pm start).

bornadog
20-02-2024, 04:21 PM
The 2024 Season Launch will occur after the scheduled practice matches for both the AFL (11am start) and VFL teams (1:50pm start).

Thanks for that, forgot about the VFL. Will be a long day at the ground. Still trying to work out whether I can make it.

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 04:23 PM
Do we know for sure there will be only 26 players used for this game? I watched some off the Dees v Tigers on Foxtel and didn't actually realize they were playing for 7 terms rather than the 4 quarters and rotating every available player, seemed to be a great idea to give all healthy listed players a run.

No I'm just guessing because there is probably a need to both get the work into the players but trial a few players as well.
It will likely be an agreement between both clubs.

On paper the Hawks forward line looks very decent, if only Gunstan and Bruest were 6 years younger i guess and will be interesting to see how Gunstan goes after struggling up in Brissy, we know Ginnivan can be dangerous on his day but lacks that consistency and i'm sure alot of us will have an interest in watching young Watson as he was touted as one of our favourtes for our first selection in last years draft, although i'm certainly not complaining about landing Sanders given his pre season reports.

Despite Gunston probably being in his last season he's an exceptionally smart player who could test the likes of O'Donnell or Busslinger and of course Lewis has proven himself a very capable and damaging player. Their small forwards could be a handful.

Axe Man
20-02-2024, 04:23 PM
Thanks for that, forgot about the VFL. Will be a long day at the ground. Still trying to work out whether I can make it.

Surely GvG will have room for you in his tent?

bornadog
20-02-2024, 04:31 PM

afternoon nap you reckon :D

Critter
20-02-2024, 04:45 PM
I will be really interested in how Ethan Phillips plays. He was a conundrum in the VFL for sometime, supposedly a great defensive interceptor that nobody (including us) was interested in drafting. The knock on him seemed to be his pace or, more accurately, his lack of pace. Will the opinions of the "wise judges" be confirmed or will it be James Podsiadly revisited?

I'd like us to give these groupings equal time so that, firstly, we can benchmark performance and, secondly, we can compare performances against each other.

Tall Backs
Busslinger JOD Gardner Coffield

Small Backs
Bramble VDM Richards JJ Dale

Forwards
Darcy JUH Naughton Darcy

Wings
Poulter Baker Williams

Grantysghost
20-02-2024, 05:19 PM

It's like the Tardis.

Axe Man
20-02-2024, 05:22 PM
Forwards
Darcy JUH Naughton Darcy

In the battle of the Darcys I'm backing Sam, Luke is past it.

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 05:29 PM
What I'd like to see us go into the game with the Hawks that includes an eye on the future as much as displayed form.

Backs:
Bramble - L.Jones - Coffield*
Richards - O'Donnell - Dale

Midfield:
Poulter - Treloar - Baker
English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Forwards:
Harmes* - Naughton - West
Weightman - Lobb - Darcy

Interchange:
Daniel - Sanders* - Scott
Busslinger* - Gallagher* - McNeil

Missing:
Ugle-Hagan - Not worth risking
Macrae - Needs at least another week or two
Johannisen - He's been starring and really one of the standouts but we don't need to play him this time
Williams - No real reason, he's been solid but I want to test Baker and Poulter
Vandermeer - It was a choice between Laith and McNeil
Clarke - It's a shame about his knee injury but it's a short term thing.
A.Jones - Must be getting close now.
Duryea - Running in the rehab group means he's a step behind.
Khamis - I went with Busslinger so that Liam Jones can get a spell
Bedendo - He's been a brilliant trainer but it hasn't flowed through to the match sims.
Freijah - I was tempted to give him a run.
Cleary - Couldn't find a spot for him.
L.Smith - Not ready
Garcia, O'Driscoll, Gardner, Keath and Croft - in the rehab group and need more time.
Baz - LTIL

Pleather Sole
20-02-2024, 05:56 PM
What I'd like to see us go into the game with the Hawks that includes an eye on the future as much as displayed form.

Backs:
Bramble - L.Jones - Coffield*
Richards - O'Donnell - Dale

Midfield:
Poulter - Treloar - Baker
English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Forwards:
Harmes* - Naughton - West
Weightman - Lobb - Darcy

Interchange:
Daniel - Sanders* - Scott
Busslinger* - Gallagher* - McNeil

Missing:
Ugle-Hagan - Not worth risking
Macrae - Needs at least another week or two
Johannisen - He's been starring and really one of the standouts but we don't need to play him this time
Williams - No real reason, he's been solid but I want to test Baker and Poulter
Vandermeer - It was a choice between Laith and McNeil
Clarke - It's a shame about his knee injury but it's a short term thing.
A.Jones - Must be getting close now.
Duryea - Running in the rehab group means he's a step behind.
Khamis - I went with Busslinger so that Liam Jones can get a spell
Bedendo - He's been a brilliant trainer but it hasn't flowed through to the match sims.
Freijah - I was tempted to give him a run.
Cleary - Couldn't find a spot for him.
L.Smith - Not ready
Garcia, O'Driscoll, Gardner, Keath and Croft - in the rehab group and need more time.
Baz - LTIL

Agree on most but would have Bedendo in for the same reason you ommitted him. I have a feeling he's going to flourish as a big game player. Shane Warne was crap in Grade & State cricket. As sub instead of McNeil.
Would also bring Khamis on to the bench at the expense of Scott. Khamis needs time resettling as a defender, even omit Caleb Daniel as he's a certain starter for round 1.
If Poulter, Baker or West was ill I'd bring in Freijah.

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 06:14 PM
Agree on most but would have Bedendo in for the same reason you ommitted him. I have a feeling he's going to flourish as a big game player. Shane Warne was crap in Grade & State cricket. As sub instead of McNeil.
Would also bring Khamis on to the bench at the expense of Scott. Khamis needs time resettling as a defender, even omit Caleb Daniel as he's a certain starter for round 1.
If Poulter, Baker or West was ill I'd bring in Freijah.

We could certainly omit some players based on them being sure things for R1. With Daniel and Liberatore I just felt it was important that all of our leadership team players are available. Getting the balance between experience players and development of the younger guys is always a challenge.

I don't mind the suggestion of Bedendo it's just who to leave out with the likes of Harmes, West or McNeil etc?

Pleather Sole
21-02-2024, 12:44 AM
We could certainly omit some players based on them being sure things for R1. With Daniel and Liberatore I just felt it was important that all of our leadership team players are available. Getting the balance between experience players and development of the younger guys is always a challenge.

I don't mind the suggestion of Bedendo it's just who to leave out with the likes of Harmes, West or McNeil etc?

True, I hadn't considered CD as part of the leadership group. I'd say on balance we know what we'll get from McNeil so I'd go with Bedendo. He's had it rocky and needs priming. Likely doesn't play round 1 or even 2, 3, or 4 but if he's got some time in the thick of things in this regenerating team, if someone goes down he can have his chances. Harmes for sure, we can see why he was chosen to play the gritty defensive mid/Hfwd role, will click the new structure in to place.

I love how much competition there is for spots. Feels like the energy and skill expectation has gone up a level. Everyone appears to be extra hungry, starving even. Think with Bont & Libba as 1 & 2 the commitment will break the roof. Macrae is great but just not the right fit for vc in the group, he seemed to know it too, very real and gracious.

Mantis
21-02-2024, 08:44 AM
True, I hadn't considered CD as part of the leadership group. I'd say on balance we know what we'll get from McNeil so I'd go with Bedendo. He's had it rocky and needs priming. Likely doesn't play round 1 or even 2, 3, or 4 but if he's got some time in the thick of things in this regenerating team, if someone goes down he can have his chances. Harmes for sure, we can see why he was chosen to play the gritty defensive mid/Hfwd role, will click the new structure in to place.

I love how much competition there is for spots. Feels like the energy and skill expectation has gone up a level. Everyone appears to be extra hungry, starving even. Think with Bont & Libba as 1 & 2 the commitment will break the roof. Macrae is great but just not the right fit for vc in the group, he seemed to know it too, very real and gracious.

I know this probably isn't the right thread to discuss the bolded part, but in 2023 both Bont & Libba had career years in terms of performances and led the way in terms of desire & will to win, but the rest of the team didn't follow... for any number of reasons.

What changes in 2024?

azabob
21-02-2024, 09:21 AM
I know this probably isn't the right thread to discuss the bolded part, but in 2023 both Bont & Libba had career years in terms of performances and led the way in terms of desire & will to win, but the rest of the team didn't follow... for any number of reasons.

What changes in 2024?

From what i've picked up is that the coaches and the players have recognised that Bont and Libba can't do it alone and each and every player needs to take responsibility on field.

My ears did prick up when Anthony Scott (I think) said in front of the group we lost some games last year because we failed to follow the game plan or something to that effect.

Obviously only time will tell if anything has changed.

ShibbyUp
21-02-2024, 10:03 AM
Why on earth are the Dogs playing the Hawks twice in a row for these praccy games? Seems like a missed opportunity to get a good look at someone at the top of the ladder.

GVGjr
21-02-2024, 10:11 AM
Why on earth are the Dogs playing the Hawks twice in a row for these praccy games? Seems like a missed opportunity to get a good look at someone at the top of the ladder.

No one takes them that seriously. I sort of agree that it would be nice to have another game against someone else but I'm not sure it changes too much for us.

Axe Man
21-02-2024, 10:18 AM

Bains explained it in an article I posted yesterday:

The Bulldogs, who want to reach 60,000 members for the first time in 2024, will play both their unofficial and official pre-season games against Hawthorn this month in a situation Bains explained as the "last two left at the dance" due to other teams' more complex travel requirements ahead of Opening Round.

lemmon
21-02-2024, 11:12 AM

Think your side is pretty spot-on. I'd probably give Treloar the day off, rotate Sanders, Daniel and Gallagher through the middle more heavily and squeeze Bedendo onto the bench.

Treloar's a pro - he shouldn't need that much match play to be ready for the real stuff and I don't think it's worth risking his hammies. Bedendo sounds like he deserves a run based on pre-season effort.

GVGjr
21-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Think your side is pretty spot-on. I'd probably give Treloar the day off, rotate Sanders, Daniel and Gallagher through the middle more heavily and squeeze Bedendo onto the bench.

Treloar's a pro - he shouldn't need that much match play to be ready for the real stuff and I don't think it's worth risking his hammies. Bedendo sounds like he deserves a run based on pre-season effort.

It's a fair point, he's had a few sessions in the rehab group and perhaps needs the work but it makes sense to give him the game off.
No use playing him for Footscray either.

ShibbyUp
21-02-2024, 01:03 PM
Bains explained it in an article I posted yesterday:

That just sounds like poor planning to me, there's only 4 VIC sides going north for opening round.

ledge
21-02-2024, 01:22 PM
From what i've picked up is that the coaches and the players have recognised that Bont and Libba can't do it alone and each and every player needs to take responsibility on field.

My ears did prick up when Anthony Scott (I think) said in front of the group we lost some games last year because we failed to follow the game plan or something to that effect.

Obviously only time will tell if anything has changed.

That wouldn’t be unusual at any club to lose a few games from not following the game plan.

Axe Man
22-02-2024, 01:27 PM
FYI for those that can't attend tomorrow:

https://i.postimg.cc/JzjGf9PJ/fox.png (https://postimages.org/)

ledge
22-02-2024, 02:08 PM
FYI for those that can't attend tomorrow:

https://i.postimg.cc/JzjGf9PJ/fox.png (https://postimages.org/)

I’ve been trying to watch the other games. It’s bloody painful , the camera work the commentary.
I’ve lasted about 5 minutes maximum.

bornadog
22-02-2024, 06:28 PM
Western Bulldogs fans will get their first glimpse of recruits Nick Coffield, James Harmes and Lachlan Bramble in the red, white and blue during official match simulation tomorrow against the Hawks at Whitten Oval, from 11am.

The trio will line up alongside first-round draftee Ryley Sanders in the first game of the day, streamed live on Kayo.
The Bulldogs will take 24 players into the first fixture, with a number of the teams more experienced players to suit up in the second game beginning at 1.50pm.

Skipper Marcus Bontempelli, Tim English, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and others will feature at Whitten Oval also against the Hawks in four quarters of match simulation.

The first game will feature four quarters of 30 minutes.

Fans and members can attend the simulation for free, with gates open from 11am.
Food trucks and a fan zone will be setup (from 3pm), with the official season launch (https://tb.westernbulldogs.com.au/tb_app/496891) taking place at 4pm, post-game.
Game 1

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Friday, February 23, 11:00am
Whitten Oval, West Footscray ? Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung
Broadcast: Kayo/Fox Footy

SQUAD
7. Rory Lobb
9. Ryley Sanders
10. Sam Darcy
12. Harvey Gallagher
13. Oskar Baker
14. Rhylee West
17. Nick Coffield
18. James O?Donnell
19. Liam Jones
21. Tom Liberatore
22. James Harmes
23. Laitham Vandermeer
24. Buku Khamis
25. Caleb Poulter
28. Anthony Scott
29. Lachie Bramble
30. Lachie McNeil
32. Arty Jones
33. Aaron Naughton
34. Bailey Williams
35. Caleb Daniel
36. Luke Cleary
39. Jason Johannisen
43. Ryan Gardner

Game 2

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn
Friday, February 23, 1:50pm
Whitten Oval, West Footscray ? Wurundjeri/Boon Wurrung

SQUAD
1. Adam Treloar
2. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan
3. Cody Weightman
4. Marcus Bontempelli
5. Jedd Busslinger
8. Charlie Clarke
15. Taylor Duryea
20. Ed Richards
26. Dom Bedendo
27. Joel Freijah
28. Anthony Scott
31. Bailey Dale
40. Lachlan Smith
42. Alex Keath
43. Ryan Gardner
44. Tim English
+ VFL Players

Go_Dogs
22-02-2024, 06:36 PM
Weird squads. Like a mix of a few definites + probables together in the first and the definites either way in the other?

jazzadogs
22-02-2024, 07:00 PM
Second squad feels like those on modified minutes.

meenies
22-02-2024, 07:16 PM
Second squad feels like those on modified minutes.
good spotting. I agree that most of those had slow starts to the pre-season, although Arty and Bramble in first team.
Gardner is raring to go, playing in both squads.

ledge
22-02-2024, 07:19 PM
I notice Bailey Williams in but not ODriscoll.

ledge
22-02-2024, 07:22 PM
So Lobb and Darcy rucks in first game, Smith and English in second game.

jeemak
22-02-2024, 07:49 PM
I'm glad the cool change has rolled through. Playing the first praccy in thirty plus heat is never great, and sets you well back.

GVGjr
22-02-2024, 07:52 PM
I notice Bailey Williams in but not ODriscoll.

Williams has pretty much been able to train right through except for the contact drills for that 12 day period.
AOD had more serious injury concerns with that collision.

Hotdog60
22-02-2024, 07:53 PM
I won't be around until I've watched the reply when I get home from work.

GVGjr
22-02-2024, 07:55 PM
I won't be around until I've watched the reply when I get home from work.

For a practice game?

Hotdog60
22-02-2024, 07:59 PM
For a practice game?

Yep I don't to spoil it I'm hardcore. :)

ledge
22-02-2024, 10:31 PM
I’m taking my great nephew tomorrow , he is 23 and has autism he got a job filming the Ballarat games 2 years ago so he doesn’t get to see his beloved dogs much . He studied film directing at Footscray uni over the covid period , he has two loves footy and filming, so I’m backing he will have one eye on the game and one eye making sure the camera man is doing his job right.
His study this game is Sanders and Gallagher he told me. I’m looking forward to taking him and checking out the new whitten oval.

josie
22-02-2024, 10:55 PM
I’m taking my great nephew tomorrow , he is 23 and has autism he got a job filming the Ballarat games 2 years ago so he doesn’t get to see his beloved dogs much . He studied film directing at Footscray uni over the covid period , he has two loves footy and filming, so I’m backing he will have one eye on the game and one eye making sure the camera man is doing his job right.
His study this game is Sanders and Gallagher he told me. I’m looking forward to taking him and checking out the new whitten oval.

Nice one Ledge. Looking forward to both his & your insights after both games. Hope he lands a job in film, even better if related to footy. Could do with some better footy camera work. I hate current coverage when they repeat injuries over & over again and also when they focus too much on coaches faces, instead of focusing on in game action.

ledge
23-02-2024, 12:09 AM
Nice one Ledge. Looking forward to both his & your insights after both games. Hope he lands a job in film, even better if related to footy. Could do with some better footy camera work. I hate current coverage when they repeat injuries over & over again and also when they focus too much on coaches faces, instead of focusing on in game action.

These practice games that aren’t practice games are the worst camera work I’ve ever encountered.

Vred
23-02-2024, 02:54 AM
Ill be attending tomorrow, is there a secret WOOF handshake I should know about to identify other members?

Hotdog60
23-02-2024, 07:37 AM
Ill be attending tomorrow, is there a secret WOOF handshake I should know about to identify other members?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExADRo71j2w

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 09:38 AM
I’m gonna go for as long as the Microsoft Teams circle stays yellow instead of white.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 10:29 AM
Pedigree no longer on the jumpers?

https://i.postimg.cc/WtLv6B0w/2024-02-23-09-10-58-Allied-Express-Signs-on-for-at-least-3-years-Mozilla-Firefox.png (https://postimages.org/)

Mantis
23-02-2024, 10:44 AM

https://i.postimg.cc/WtLv6B0w/2024-02-23-09-10-58-Allied-Express-Signs-on-for-at-least-3-years-Mozilla-Firefox.png (https://postimages.org/)

No, it was announced recently that Pedigree have finished up as a premier partner.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 10:52 AM
No, it was announced recently that Pedigree have finished up as a premier partner.

Cheers thanks Mantis.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 11:07 AM
Cheers thanks Mantis.

Allied just signed up for 3 years

The Western Bulldogs are excited to welcome Allied Express as a major partner of the club?s AFL team for at least the next three years, which is highlighted by the Allied Express brand featuring on the AFL team guernsey.

Mantis
23-02-2024, 11:18 AM
Sam Edmund (SEN) has tweeted that Bevo is ill and will remain at home so Brendan Lade will be coaching today.

Axe Man
23-02-2024, 11:26 AM

Glad it's Allied Express and not Ali Express otherwise the jumpers would likely be cheap Chinese knock offs that would fall apart before half time.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 11:31 AM
Glad it's Allied Express and not Ali Express otherwise the jumpers would likely be cheap Chinese knock offs that would fall apart before half time.

Like the Baseball at the moment.

Constanza!

bornadog
23-02-2024, 11:35 AM

isn't everything made in China.

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 11:53 AM
Bevo isn't well and Lade will be coaching the side today

lemmon
23-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Real difference of styles is interesting. Hawthorn looking to posses the footy with that kick-mark style and we're seemingly intent to get it forward quickly and run through the press with handball chains.

Might have a bit to do with who's kicking with the wind mind you.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 12:14 PM
McNeil straight into the 23.

G-Mo77
23-02-2024, 12:21 PM
Really happy to see Buku down back. Hopefully keep him there and give him one role to work on

lemmon
23-02-2024, 12:21 PM
Sanders is a special one.

josie
23-02-2024, 12:22 PM
Sanders looks good - Mr Smoothy. Poulter playing well.

josie
23-02-2024, 12:23 PM
Sanders is a special one.

Yep, looks like his with that big pick. What a goal!!

G-Mo77
23-02-2024, 12:23 PM
Nice goal to Larry Sanders!

josie
23-02-2024, 12:24 PM
I meant worth it. Kinda looks like Baz but looks like a better kick & possibly more composed.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 12:25 PM
The socks up, he looks like he's direct from the 80s.

Sanders, Harmes, Gallagher already making us look more dynamic through the midfield.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 12:25 PM
JOD out for rest of match - ankle

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 12:27 PM
JOD out for rest of match - ankle

Nuts.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 12:27 PM
Not speaking at all about our prospects based on a praccy, but purely just looking at player attitude, work rate and involvement, this has been a very pleasing start.
So many bright spots from those perspectives. Sanders just looks an absolute top tier talent - don't care what level this opposition is. It's just apparent. If he stays healthy, we've just landed another elite midfielder that looks to have grunt, finesse, and skill.

jeemak
23-02-2024, 12:29 PM
West needs to use his brain when he?s kicking the football. Everything else from him has been great.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 12:30 PM
West really showing big strides in his development. Bigger tank??

The Underdog
23-02-2024, 12:33 PM
McNeil straight into the 23.

He was out?

G-Mo77
23-02-2024, 12:33 PM
Are both games on Kayo today?

dog town
23-02-2024, 12:34 PM
Defending the turnover well so far. Slowing them down very quickly.

Mantis
23-02-2024, 12:35 PM
West needs to use his brain when he?s kicking the football. Everything else from him has been great.

Yep, his field kicking is poor... it needs to improve quickly.

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 12:36 PM
It will be a test of our backline given the Hawks now have the wind. Gardner coming on for JOD?

jazzadogs
23-02-2024, 12:46 PM

They will only televise the first four quarters.

The Underdog
23-02-2024, 12:48 PM
This Liberatore kid looks pretty good.

The Underdog
23-02-2024, 12:51 PM
Are we doing a scenario thing where we're awesome for 25 minutes, then suck for 25 minutes?

I do feel like we've already done that quite a lot though in 2023.

jazzadogs
23-02-2024, 12:54 PM
Liked the bodywork from Khamis to outmuscle and outposition Mitch Lewis (who I rate very highly).

How strong is the wind?

jeemak
23-02-2024, 12:54 PM
Shitshow run on vibe still strong!

Mantis
23-02-2024, 12:55 PM
Are we doing a scenario thing where we're awesome for 25 minutes, then suck for 25 minutes?

I do feel like we've already done that quite a lot though in 2023.

We've hit the rinse & repeat button... just find ways to cough up a big lead don't we?

G-Mo77
23-02-2024, 01:01 PM
Got to love these new rules. That free on Politer a complete joke!

jeemak
23-02-2024, 01:01 PM
Bringing the ball offensive side when getting scored against heavily is a shit idea.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:03 PM
We've hit the rinse & repeat button... just find ways to cough up a big lead don't we?

I'm not sure a team missing half of our starting lineup is the one we want to necessarily hold up for scrutiny as evidence we've improved in this area. So many guys who are not in our best 22 out there right now, we're invariably going to see some gaps.

Well that's my uneducated take at this stage.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:05 PM

It doesn't look to me as if the second one is on. In two hours time Foxtel is showing a different team's practice match. Not sure if that extends to Kayo too though.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-02-2024, 01:08 PM
Watched some of the 2nd quarter. Hawks have LOTS of space.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:08 PM
Lots of space in our backline for Hawks forwards.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure a team missing half of our starting lineup is the one we want to necessarily hold up for scrutiny as evidence we've improved in this area. So many guys who are not in our best 22 out there right now, we're invariably going to see some gaps.

Season over yhf. We had a good run.

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 01:15 PM
Just left the ground. The breeze was massive and is only getting stronger.

Vred
23-02-2024, 01:17 PM
If we offered Sanders a Naughton like contract I’d be all for it.

Mantis
23-02-2024, 01:17 PM

All we can go is what is front of us at our 1st proper look for 2024, and yep lots of players missing (for both teams), but we controlled the game in quarter 1, but as we've seen lots of over the past 2 years the basic skills errors & lack of structure for the 1st 20min of quarter 2 meant we gave up 5 goals pretty quickly.

The wind is strong though so it might just be that.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-02-2024, 01:20 PM
Oh I didn't realise we were up 42-2....

SonofScray
23-02-2024, 01:20 PM
It sure to make it what I am seeing other than I am excited for Sanders and pleased with Darcy?s movement around the ground.

While we will still win the flag, I think we are in for a boring season. Pedestrian footy, runs of goals against. It?s going to be the worst premiership year I?ve ever had.

Vred
23-02-2024, 01:21 PM
All we can go is what is front of us at our 1st proper look for 2024, and yep lots of players missing (for both teams), but we controlled the game in quarter 1, but as we've seen lots of over the past 2 years the basic skills errors & lack of structure for the 1st 20min of quarter 2 meant we gave up 5 goals pretty quickly.

The wind is strong though so it might just be that.

the wind is literally blowing one way and it’s as strong as I’ve felt it at UVW, anyone kicking towards the hill is up shit creek

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:25 PM
Oh I didn't realise we were up 42-2....

All goals except one have been at the Barkly St end.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:29 PM
I think losing O'Donnell has really disrupted our defensive structures.
Any early reports on how serious his ankle might be, beyond out for the game?

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 01:31 PM
I think losing O'Donnell has really disrupted our defensive structures.
Any early reports on how serious his ankle might be, beyond out for the game?

I clocked it straight away. Didn’t look too bad and he came off without assistance but with ankles who honestly knows.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:34 PM
Really poor positioning by Gardner there. You could always see he'd be pushed under the ball. But where was some support to come over the top? That will need to be the feedback.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:36 PM
There's some more footage for our defensive coach. How the heck did they go coast to coast on that kick out? Our defense all out of position.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:37 PM
Chol or Lobb?

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:39 PM
Harmes a certain starter, Coffield will be close.

West has been good. Baker and Poulter hardly sighted along with Williams who I wouldn't play.

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 01:41 PM
Honestly, a practice match with a 6 goal breeze is not something that I’m going to judge our systems without the ball on. There just isn’t the pressure on the ball between the arcs that there is in the real stuff and getting 20m extra on every kick is a killer if that’s the case.

A lot of positives in this from our fringe guys. Harmes, McNeil, Coffield, West and Poulter have all been impressive.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:45 PM
Wow. Bailey Williams has just kicked goal of the year in a praccy.

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 01:47 PM

In a real game I reckon the Hawks player actually tries to touch it

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Coffield looks real good. Much bigger than I recall. He almost looks key position size (hear's BAD get his tape measure out!!)

Happy Days
Sanders. Put the guns down bro.

Grantysghost

Sanders OMG! This guy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExYnl4NjJrazB3d253OGdpZHdmcG0zZGJrN3psOHd6Z nFpajBna2tuMyZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/kbUqSWzWjNgTkRWOiy/giphy.gif

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:49 PM
In a real game I reckon the Hawks player actually tries to touch it

It was amazing, but total praccy match stuff.

I don't want to say it, but MCNEIL!!

SquirrelGrip
23-02-2024, 01:50 PM
I wasn’t expecting Lachie McNeil to do as much as he has.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wow. McNeil putting on some highlights, what a goal from the pack.

Happy Days
Always rated McNeil.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:51 PM
I've kept notes - you're all about to be MCNEIL NARCED!

jeemak
23-02-2024, 01:53 PM
Much better use from West.

The Underdog
23-02-2024, 01:55 PM
I've kept notes - you're all about to be MCNEIL NARCED!

Our McLordandsaviour

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 01:55 PM
West spotting up Naughton like that..really like it. If we can get this type of performance regularly from West, this helps our structure and connectivity between mid and forward line this year.

As I type, gee Gallagher is another who looks to have AFL level traits. Interesting to see if he can make the step up this year.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 01:59 PM
Our McLordandsaviour

Hahaaaa.Gold.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-02-2024, 02:02 PM
At long last it's starting to feel like we're getting decent depth in the middle of the ground. Defence is still a lean area as is small forwards but if McNeil, West, Harmes, Gallagher can press every week it'll keep everyone on their toes.

Sanders' poise is like that of a seasoned pro. Kid is a sure 200 gamer at minimum.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-02-2024, 02:03 PM

Well he can't save it for the real season because grantysghost has already closed that door.

meenies
23-02-2024, 02:04 PM
Because of West tackle in the pack

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:05 PM
Well he can't save it for the real season because grantysghost has already closed that door.

He's dropped. Straight to the Crows.

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 02:06 PM
Darcy. We gotta play him.

meenies
3rd quarter had one tall and rest smalls.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Yep.. the Captain Buzzkill of WOOF

lemmon
23-02-2024, 02:07 PM

He's looking more like an actual small forward rather than a former midfielder trying to 'work it out'.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Yep.. the Captain Buzzkill of WOOF

So you're team Stalin?

Matchday thread rocks btw. I just remembered how good it is. Even our praccy match form is good.

My avatar change wouldn't happen in a real game.

josie
23-02-2024, 02:10 PM
Why didn?t Gardner mark that? Caused a goal.

Mantis
23-02-2024, 02:11 PM
Hoping JOD's injury isn't severe as the thought of Gardner playing is nightmare fuel.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:13 PM
My main takeway is that if we somehow manage to find a way to keep English, B Smith and Jamarra, we are an absolute stacked for top end talent across the field.....surely that prospect has got to be tempting to that trio.

We have inter-generational top end midfield depth covering the next decade potentially. For the now we have Bont, Treloar, Libba, and Macrae plus B. Smith and Sanders emerging.

And we also have similar at key position. Darcy looks ready to take a development step this year and maybe can play a role across 4 lines that allows us to play him from the bench along with Lobb, English, JUH and Naughts??

robb
23-02-2024, 02:13 PM
How strong is hawthorn?s team?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:18 PM
I can't wait to see a centre bounce rotation combo featuring Bont, Libba and Sanders at times this year.

Mofra
23-02-2024, 02:18 PM
Given JODs injury and Gardner doing Gardner things, Buss might be in with a sneaky chance even if he's raw as hell. All eyes on the second game

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:19 PM

I believe they are missing a few robb.

Not a super strong side by any means.

Having said that we are pretty much the same splitting the team across the two games (no bont, treloar, marra, english) although this is probably a stronger side than game 2 for us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:19 PM

Not great, loads of injuries to their list, and lots of kids.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:20 PM
Bramble doesn't inspire me have to say. Nice depth I guess.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:22 PM
Bramble doesn't inspire me have to say. Nice depth I guess.

Agree. He's not one who has advanced his claims based on this performance today.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Williams' net performance too has not advanced his claims for being a selection lock for round 1.

josie
23-02-2024, 02:27 PM
Williams' net performance too has not advanced his claims for being a selection lock for round 1.
Cleary good today. Composed, doesn?t panic. Getting a few more possessions too. Coffield looks like a pretty good pickup.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:27 PM

Be a tough choice bw he, Baker and Poulter.

I think Baker has been ok. The other two maybe Williams just ahead done a couple of nice things forward of the ball.

Happy Days
23-02-2024, 02:32 PM
Naughton has been unreal.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:36 PM
The Wizard Watson or Sanders?

I think we have chosen .....

WISELY.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 02:37 PM

WISELY.

McNeil straight in?;)

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 02:38 PM
McNeil straight in?;)

I'd redo the leadership group votes.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:38 PM

WISELY.

First time I've seen any of our new or newer guys. I'm all in on Sanders. A long term midfield combo of him B Smith and Bont is a wonderful prospect to dream of!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:39 PM

Straight to captain. Thanks Bont :p

Dazza
23-02-2024, 02:39 PM
Good showing from a lot of fringe guys today.

To my eye it looked like we weren't overusing with backwards handball as we have been in the past. Especially at centre clearances

jDogs
23-02-2024, 02:43 PM
Agree. He's not one who has advanced his claims based on this performance today.

I thought he was very good in the first quarter but fell off a bit.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:45 PM
Are any Woofers fortunate enough to be at the 2nd praccy today. If so, look forward to hopefully getting some post game summaries!

Mantis
23-02-2024, 02:46 PM
Naughton has been unreal.

I think he's in for a really big year.. having Marra (or Lobb/Darcy) playing deep will allow Naughts to roam which is when he is at his most dangerous.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:46 PM
I thought he was very good in the first quarter but fell off a bit.

Yeah initially he did some nice work. I think all in all he's an upgrade on some of the players we let go at the end of last year.

Axe Man
23-02-2024, 02:48 PM
We should delist McNeil every year.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:51 PM
I think he's in for a really big year.. having Marra (or Lobb/Darcy) playing deep will allow Naughts to roam which is when he is at his most dangerous.

I think so too Mantis, a role further upfield is I think the best fit for his skill sets, and our team from now. With JUH entering his 4th season now, and Lobb, English, Darcy and Weightman we have some forward weapons to finish. Naughton's one big deficiency is his goal-kicking. He strengths are his marking, mobility, dexterity below knees, and defensive pressure. As a roaming big man between the arcs he has the ability to connect all 3 lines.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 02:52 PM
We should delist McNeil every year.

Thank goodness we don't have a contract thread, it would be make it an administrative annoyance to manage.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:03 PM
No live stream of second match

The Underdog
23-02-2024, 03:16 PM

Is there a match simulation Brownlow we can give him?

The Underdog
23-02-2024, 03:16 PM

GVG’s time to shine

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:17 PM
Dogs by 24. Flea, Bont from 50, and charlie all with goals

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:23 PM
Q1 Dogs 4.9 33 to 0.1 1.

MrMahatma
23-02-2024, 03:24 PM
How's the accuracy? Wind playing a part obviously

ReLoad
23-02-2024, 03:27 PM
How's the accuracy? Wind playing a part obviously

13 scoring shots is wild. should be game over.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:30 PM
Charlie another one

josie
23-02-2024, 03:36 PM
Q2: 14 mins in 53 us to 9. Like number 6 vfl player for us.

bulldogsthru&thru
23-02-2024, 03:43 PM
Charlie another one

He's a crucial player for us....if he can have an impact our forward line becomes a lot more damaging.

Countrydog5
23-02-2024, 03:46 PM
A bit disappointed in the club for this. It's not difficult to set up a single camera on the wing and stream to the website. I wouldn't even care if it had no commentary, just would be nice to see the 2nd group of players

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:48 PM
A bit disappointed in the club for this. It's not difficult to set up a single camera on the wing and stream to the website. I wouldn't even care if it had no commentary, just would be nice to see the 2nd group of players
Yes, I agree.

I was slack about arranging my day, and couldn't make it to the ground, so a live feed would have been good. Should have cancelled a few appointments. I am relying on Twitter feed.

Countrydog5
23-02-2024, 03:51 PM
Yes, I agree.

I was slack about arranging my day, and couldn't make it to the ground, so a live feed would have been good. Should have cancelled a few appointments. I am relying on Twitter feed.

I'm at home with the wife nursing a newborn, so would have loved to see both games. Just shows a lack of preparation and thought for all of those members who can't take time out of a work day to get down

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:54 PM
I'm at home with the wife nursing a newborn, so would have loved to see both games. Just shows a lack of preparation and thought for all of those members who can't take time out of a work day to get down

Congrats on the new born

jDogs
23-02-2024, 03:54 PM

I hate it. Clubs like Collingwood get their intraclub matches livestreamed with Jason Bennett commentary and we rely on the good folks of football forums to provide updates.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 03:55 PM
Halftime

9.11 65 to 2.4 16

josie
23-02-2024, 03:56 PM

I missed Q1 and start if Q2. Treloar & Marra are standouts for me. Hawks side looks really undermanned - assuming mostly their team.

Countrydog5
23-02-2024, 04:03 PM
Congrats on the new born

Thanks BAD. Settling into life of endless nappy changes and minimal sleep as best as I can!

Warrnambulldog
23-02-2024, 04:04 PM
Also annoyed I can?t watch the second game. Wrapped with our first game, I hope O?Donnell is ok. Great to see Bailey Williams and McNeil impressing, not many lowlights at all

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 04:05 PM
Im not I know these players but I reckon players, 1,2,3,4, 20, 28, 31, and 44 go alright

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 04:13 PM
Im not I know these players[/B] but I reckon players, 1,2,3,4, 20, 28, 31, and 44 go alright

Have you been hitting the can bar Gary?

josie
23-02-2024, 04:14 PM
Timmy starting to control the air. Weightman playing well. 78 to 16 at 11 min mark. Quarters only 25 mins.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 04:16 PM
Dom with a goal 11.12 78 to 2.4 16

Axe Man
23-02-2024, 04:18 PM

Pretty sure he has a full bar setup in his tent.

josie
23-02-2024, 04:21 PM
Bont just kicked a beauty - across body about 30m out. 88 to 16.

Jeanette54
23-02-2024, 04:22 PM
Question; Did the great performances from Lobb and Darcy in the first game perhaps begin to lower Tim English's re-sign price for next year? Likewise with Sanders and Bailey Smith? Just thinking ahead after Robbo's article on Tim's contract price for next year. I know there is a long way to go, but just a thought. How his Tim looking in this game ?

josie
23-02-2024, 04:23 PM
20 min Q3 ended. 90 to 16.

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 04:25 PM

It's a real thrashing.our star players are doing it easily

josie
23-02-2024, 04:27 PM
Question; Did the great performances from Lobb and Darcy in the first game perhaps begin to lower Tim English's re-sign price for next year? Likewise with Sanders and Bailey Smith? Just thinking ahead after Robbo's article on Tim's contract price for next year. I know there is a long way to go, but just a thought.

If Tim plays well in first 4 to 6 games I don?t think so. If not then possibly. Think we need Smith & Saunders as our midfield ageing. I hope Gallagher with cameos from Weightman etc. can refresh us in mid & clearances. I?d say I?d club had to lose one of Tim or Smith I think they?d keep Tim. Personally I hope we can keep both.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 04:28 PM
Pretty sure he has a full bar setup in his tent.

Only for others, Gazza doesn't drink

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 04:31 PM
Only for others, Gazza doesn't drink

And at $4.50 for a can of soft drink I'll give that a miss as well :)

bornadog
23-02-2024, 04:33 PM
How is this bloke going

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG_rLMtbMAAW-72?format=jpg&name=medium

bornadog
23-02-2024, 04:39 PM
Lachie Smith mark and goal

mjp
23-02-2024, 04:40 PM
And at $4.50 for a can of soft drink I'll give that a miss as well :)

The myriad of ways venues encourage spectators to get along and make a day of it in 2024 never cease to amaze...

josie
23-02-2024, 04:46 PM
How is this bloke going

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GG_rLMtbMAAW-72?format=jpg&name=medium

Pretty good. Got a bit of size about him! Frejiah?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-02-2024, 04:48 PM
I really hope Cody's cornrows don't last to regular season....

Mofra
23-02-2024, 04:50 PM
Charlie for the Norm Smith! Is that 5 or 6 goals now?

bornadog
23-02-2024, 04:55 PM
FINAL SCORE:14.21 105 to 3.6 24

ShibbyUp
23-02-2024, 05:11 PM
Any injuries of note? Haven't been able to watch any of it today unfortunately.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 05:13 PM
Any injuries of note? Haven't been able to watch any of it today unfortunately.

JOD injured in first quarter of first game - ankle. Don't know how serious

bulldogsthru&thru
23-02-2024, 05:19 PM
What was hawthorn's side like in the 2nd game? Was it a bunch of kids or did they have some names in that side too like us?

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 05:27 PM
What was hawthorn's side like in the 2nd game? Was it a bunch of kids or did they have some names in that side too like us?

Just about all VFL players. Might have been a handful of fringe players from the main list.

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 05:29 PM
Libba was a destructive animal today, really worked his backside off. Was going full bore and let a few expletives fly.

Saw David King there, I'll be interested on his take on how he thinks we performed.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 05:31 PM
From Club Website (https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/1494700/five-things-we-saw-match-simulations-against-hawthorn):

Five things we saw: Match simulations against Hawthorn

Our key takeaways from Friday's match simulation sessions against Hawthorn.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/23/04d83859-fc74-4916-8aba-954ce81a161e/five-things-we-learned-feature.jpg?width=1064&height=600

1. New Dogs slot in

James Harmes, Nick Coffield and Lachie Bramble were among the host of Dogs? recruits who took to the field in the first match simulation, with the trio slotting in near seamlessly.
Harmes was a welcome addition to the midfield, particularly with starters Marcus Bontempelli and Adam Treloar held over for the second hit-out, while Coffield and Bramble had some nice moments.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/23/120721f2-409f-49f2-ad58-9418376dad23/_0000_TR230224MW00299.jpg?width=1064&height=600

2. Youngsters impress

What might excite Bulldogs? fans most is the growth among the up-and-coming youngsters.
Lachie McNeil (four goals), Luke Cleary, Harvey Gallagher and Sam Darcy each impressed in the early match, along with draftee Ryley Sanders who starred in his first outing in the red, white and blue.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/23/1945b437-4833-41ab-939e-c8e35289f0f8/_0001_TR230224MW01492.jpg?width=1064&height=600

3. Dogs? stunning run

A well-documented focus of the Bulldogs? pre-season was stopping opposition runs of momentum and put that to effect in the first match simulation.
A heavy breeze favouring the Barkly St end saw the Hawks come within two points in the third, before the Bulldogs piled on the next eight goals.
We know it?s not the season proper yet, but there?s no denying some promising signs early.

4. Bont still a class above

It might be comparing apples and oranges, given the Hawks fielded mostly VFL players in the second match simulation, but Marcus Bontempelli looks primed to back up his 2023 campaign.
The skipper picked up his footy exactly where he left off, connecting with All Australian ruck Tim English very nicely at centre bounces.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/23/711fbe45-df51-461e-b0fa-e4f415513d76/_0003_TR230224MW02113.jpg?width=1064&height=600

5. New role for Flea

Speaking of the second-match midfield, Cody Weightman was a new addition to the mix.
The 23-year-old goal-sneak spent majority of his time in the middle, allowing second-year Dog Charlie Clarke to maximise his time in the forward-50.

https://resources.westernbulldogs.com.au/photo-resources/2024/02/23/a0d5e567-8996-4ba7-b440-20eedf9cc2df/_0002_TR230224MW01880.jpg?width=1064&height=600

(https://membership.westernbulldogs.com.au/)

bornadog
23-02-2024, 05:40 PM
From Lade on some of the players

On youngsters...

?It?s great to have (Ryley Sanders) in the midfield. He definitely showed some really impressive signs but it wasn?t only him. Some of the other young guys - Harvey Gallagher got an opportunity to play in the midfield too, Sam Darcy, Luke Cleary and even Lachie McNeil down forward. It was good to see some of our younger guys get the opportunity in the first game to show what they can do.

?(We saw) the opportunity to play long periods in one position ? if Bont and Ads had played in the midfield in the first game, potentially those younger guys don?t get as much time in there. It?s good to see a good chunk of time from those guys and see them play well.?

On Darcy in the ruck...

?Reeves is a really good tap ruckman for the Hawks, so for Sam Darcy to compete against him and do well ? I think he kicked three goals as well ? it?s good. He?s had a great pre-season, so hopefully that keeps transferring into games.

?Darce has been training as a ruck the whole pre-season. He can obviously play forward too, but we?re just excited that he?s gotten through a full pre-season. Who knows where he will end up.?

On Coffield...

?He was impressive today down back. Pratty?s done a lot of work with him, but in saying that Nick was always a high-end talent. I think he was pick eight in his draft, so he?s definitely got some talent. Today was just an opportunity for him to come out and play again. We saw his strengths being his run and carry, a couple of intercept marks ? he?ll look to build on that next week.?

On the midfield...

?I thought the whole midfield was great as a group. I could single out one or two but I think as a whole, they just worked well together and understood what each other were doing.?

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 05:41 PM
In the 2nd game Weightman trained with the midfielders before the bounce of the ball and spent a lot of time there despite kicking 3 goals as well.
Bont and Treloar dominated, English just too tall and mobile for the Hawks bigger boys. Ugle-Hagan in a bit of a canter
Scott did some nice things including a brilliant goal. Clarke was dangerous.
Duryea busy but not that noticeable. Bedendo and Freijah on the wings but didn't do a lot.
Busslinger struggled at times. Richards and Dale a cut above. Loch Smith not out of place and did okay in the ruck, used the footy well.
Keath was okay

5 players missing today. Macrae, Baz, Garcia, Croft and O'Driscoll.

Testekill
23-02-2024, 06:39 PM
So Poulter and Williams on the wings?

McNeil and Clarke as the crumbing small forwards?

Hopefully Bianco sticks around Footscray, he certainly didn't let himself down.

ledge
23-02-2024, 06:40 PM
Harmes a certain starter, Coffield will be close.

West has been good. Baker and Poulter hardly sighted along with Williams who I wouldn't play.

That?s quite weird because I mentioned how Poulter and Williams were going ok .
Baker was around but Bramble looks similar so I might have got them confused . What part of the ground were you at ?

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 06:55 PM

Willams dropped back for a while when JOD was injured but back to the wing when Gardner came on.
We used 3 players on the wings, Baker, Williams and Poulter. I think Williams was the pick of them. Poulter very solid n the first half.

ledge
23-02-2024, 07:15 PM
Well I’m going to start with The Whitten oval is awesome !
Loved the idea of grass and steps at the scoreboard end, a great spot to sit or lie down and watch the game.
A bar and food building near the old army reserve base is also a great addition.
The 3/4 finished grandstand is stunning.
Today’s let down .. no pies or hot dogs . I’m a pie at the footy ritual man.
Do yourself a favour and get down to a game !

With all the reports before this post. I will say Marcus Bontempelli walks on water , the guy just floats everywhere, kicking it 60 metres hitting guys on the chest, at one stage on a wing he did a Doug Hawkins and danced around about 5 players, he is a freak.
Jamarra takes marks at the highest point.
Naughton just seems to look like he improves a little every year.
Lobb was great in the ruck and marking around the ground.
I think Gary Dempsey has been talking to Tim English as Tim would take the ruck then head straight to the half back line and just mark everything that came down.
Sanders has great vision, obviously Libba has taught him how to flick balls out and hit our guys on the chest, smooooooth operator.
West is awesome when he doesn’t have time to think, if he has time to have two options he will take the wrong one.
Charlie Clarke wow .
Arty Jones I’m still a big fan he just does little things that set up goals, he is cheeky and puts the pressure on , he has X factor and he will have days out .
So this is a cross of players who played over the two games but I will say we seemed to be a lot on speed.
Negative is the amount of times we pump the ball in and it comes out, it’s still happening, it’s the delivery .
And one final say which might just be a defence of my last statement the wind and ball bounce was very unpredictable , typical WO.

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 07:19 PM
Willams dropped back for a while when JOD was injured but back to the wing when Gardner came on.
We used 3 players on the wings, Baker, Williams and Poulter. I think Williams was the pick of them. Poulter very solid n the first half.

Can we talk to the IT guy and get a dislike button added G? ;)

All seriousness I thought Baker and Williams finished strongly. I always feel like Baker is prone to dumb things though like running a k without bouncing it.
I'm not overly thrilled with our wings.
Who played on the wings in the second game?

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 07:24 PM
Is there a match simulation Brownlow we can give him?

If he wasn't chaired off I'd be pretty sour on the team.

jeemak
23-02-2024, 07:41 PM
I really hope Cody's cornrows don't last to regular season....

They've been gone for a while I think mate.

ledge
23-02-2024, 08:00 PM

I wonder if McLean scored the hair dressing contract.

Pleather Sole
23-02-2024, 08:21 PM
Applause!

Testekill
23-02-2024, 09:07 PM
Looking at the highlights of the second game, was that Cooper Craig-Peters running around in 11? I recognise Stretton in 19 and Phoenix Spicer is 14.

Eastdog
23-02-2024, 09:41 PM
Thanks to all woofers for their reports particularly for us woofers at work and can?t get to or watch the game. Had new computers installed at work so difficult to keep track of proceedings from WO today.

Great signs from those fringe guys which is good to hear.

Bont is primed for another great year as well as Libba.

Excited to hear about Charlie Clarke and what he can bring.

Sanders will become a favourite very quickly.

Hope JOD will be ok. Keen to see how he progresses in 2024 after a solid 2023.

doggies ftw
23-02-2024, 09:47 PM
Well I’m going to start with The Whitten oval is awesome !
Loved the idea of grass and steps at the scoreboard end, a great spot to sit or lie down and watch the game.
A bar and food building near the old army reserve base is also a great addition.
The 3/4 finished grandstand is stunning.
Today’s let down .. no pies or hot dogs . I’m a pie at the footy ritual man.
Do yourself a favour and get down to a game !

With all the reports before this post. I will say Marcus Bontempelli walks on water , the guy just floats everywhere, kicking it 60 metres hitting guys on the chest, at one stage on a wing he did a Doug Hawkins and danced around about 5 players, he is a freak.
Jamarra takes marks at the highest point.
Naughton just seems to look like he improves a little every year.
Lobb was great in the ruck and marking around the ground.
I think Gary Dempsey has been talking to Tim English as Tim would take the ruck then head straight to the half back line and just mark everything that came down.
Sanders has great vision, obviously Libba has taught him how to flick balls out and hit our guys on the chest, smooooooth operator.
West is awesome when he doesn’t have time to think, if he has time to have two options he will take the wrong one.
Charlie Clarke wow .
Arty Jones I’m still a big fan he just does little things that set up goals, he is cheeky and puts the pressure on , he has X factor and he will have days out .
So this is a cross of players who played over the two games but I will say we seemed to be a lot on speed.
Negative is the amount of times we pump the ball in and it comes out, it’s still happening, it’s the delivery .
And one final say which might just be a defence of my last statement the wind and ball bounce was very unpredictable , typical WO.

Thanks for the report - I only watched on Kayo so didn?t see the 2nd game but this is interesting on English. Could this be the idea to have him ruck and then sit behind the play with Darcy & Lobb (or even just one of them) pushing up to take the front half ruck contests?

That sounds pretty tempting to me, means we get English? marking behind the ball (allowing us to go smaller in defence) and also keeps him fresh for when we need him, gets Lobb/Darcy into the ruck and into the game and also helps clear out the tall timber in our forward line by dragging them out to ruck.

Veeeery interesting, this would be a good strategic role change IMO

Mofra
23-02-2024, 09:48 PM
Sanders' first half stats are up: 21 disposals, 8 tackles, 1 goal.

Eastdog
23-02-2024, 09:53 PM

Great stuff!

Grantysghost
23-02-2024, 09:54 PM

Crikey

ledge
23-02-2024, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the report - I only watched on Kayo so didn?t see the 2nd game but this is interesting on English. Could this be the idea to have him ruck and then sit behind the play with Darcy & Lobb (or even just one of them) pushing up to take the front half ruck contests?

That sounds pretty tempting to me, means we get English? marking behind the ball (allowing us to go smaller in defence) and also keeps him fresh for when we need him, gets Lobb/Darcy into the ruck and into the game and also helps clear out the tall timber in our forward line by dragging them out to ruck.

Veeeery interesting, this would be a good strategic role change IMO

In the Dempsey years we struggled, we used to go defensive rather than attack and he was such a good reader of the play . He taught Wynd to do the same.
I’m a huge fan of English being a floater one kick off the ball and Lobb or whoever ruck.
English can read the ball back or forward , use his height and marking as a much as possible . You can’t take Marks if you’re taking the ruck as your where the ball is not where it’s going.
In saying that we are extremely lucky with all the talented talls we have! I have never seen us that blessed.

bornadog
23-02-2024, 10:02 PM
JJ looks in great nick and played well. Will be good to have him back in, hopefully injury free.

ledge
23-02-2024, 10:06 PM
JJ looks in great nick and played well. Will be good to have him back in, hopefully injury free.

When he gets in that run off mode it’s nighty night for the opposition. It’s one of our barometers.

jeemak
23-02-2024, 10:11 PM

Nuts. And he'll be better for the run.

Hotdog60
23-02-2024, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all of the reports guys. Brought a tasty hamburger and chips on the way home from work and went straight to Kayo.
Before coming on here I did see the highlights of the second game which of course looked very good and I really apricated reading the reports of the second match.
I think there is a lot to get excited about this season. :)

ShibbyUp
23-02-2024, 10:19 PM
He was flying last year until his injury, hopefully it's a full campaign this year

jeemak
23-02-2024, 10:37 PM
Playing a kick behind (old school term I get it, but you know what I mean) means English can still do all the rucking behind the half forward line.

It takes so long for the umpires to get the ball in the air these days.

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 10:38 PM
Looking at the highlights of the second game, was that Cooper Craig-Peters running around in 11? I recognise Stretton in 19 and Phoenix Spicer is 14.

CCP did well. Bianco was 6 and Montgomerie 16 I think. Orgil was solid.

doggies ftw
23-02-2024, 11:00 PM
CCP did well. Bianco was 6 and Montgomerie 16 I think. Orgil was solid.

How did Spicer go?

GVGjr
23-02-2024, 11:25 PM
How did Spicer go?

Quiet

bornadog
23-02-2024, 11:30 PM
Thanks for all of the reports guys. Brought a tasty hamburger and chips on the way home from work and went straight to Kayo.
Before coming on here I did see the highlights of the second game which of course looked very good and I really apricated reading the reports of the second match.
I think there is a lot to get excited about this season. :)

Highlights done on someone's IPHONE :D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-02-2024, 12:06 AM

Oh good. The media shots i saw this morning must've been old

josie
24-02-2024, 12:12 AM
Did number 6 Bianco play 2nd half? I liked what I saw in Q2. Couldn?t see him from Q3 on.

josie
24-02-2024, 12:15 AM

I?ve not been a fan of McNeil but on today?s showing he deserves a spot. Agree with all you?ve said here. Poulter in Q1 was outstanding I thought.

And I liked Bianco if he was 6. Might have found my Garner love replacement.

FrediKanoute
24-02-2024, 02:01 AM
When he gets in that run off mode it’s nighty night for the opposition. It’s one of our barometers.

His injury in the first half of last year really took the wind out of our sails

merantau
24-02-2024, 05:57 AM
I read the entire thread. I'm in Indonesia atm. Mt take: we've picked up a fair number of new recruits and together with the usual suspects Woof is in for a great year. Welcome to all the new Woofers. Go Dogs!

The Underdog
24-02-2024, 09:05 AM
Some observations / stupid questions.

*Darcy looks well ahead of where I thought he'd be as a ruckman. I always thought he could play as a key forward or back, but he looks like ruck #2 already. Excellent around the ground too.
*Really liked Cleary's game, maybe more than Coffield's.
*Yeah, so this Sanders kid could be ok. He and Libba together is a beautiful thing.
*In my mind I always think Oskar Baker is a player that should be squeezed out of our best 22 on talent, and then he plays and looks like he might be our best wingman. Not sure it's a good thing, but it's a thing.
*What's the difference between a practice match and match simulation? Does match simulation happen in multiple universes with multiple outcomes?
*It's Lachie McNeil time.
*Love a commentator who is amazed that a guy in his first year of AFL only turns 19 this week. Will wonders never cease?
*Lots of positives, and nothing means much, but some of our defensive positioning out of stoppage and broken plays seemed sub-optimal.
*Khamis as the 3rd tall could work.

JanLorMill
24-02-2024, 10:09 AM
I thought his kicking was poor but I saw it on Kayo

JanLorMill
24-02-2024, 10:13 AM
Darcy to Sanders is something I could get used to.

ledge
24-02-2024, 10:39 AM
Darcy to Sanders is something I could get used to.

Or Sanders to Darcy up forward.

Mavericks
24-02-2024, 11:19 AM
Finally watched the replay.

As everyone could see Sanders is a elite prospect and ready to roll. Cannot believe Maginess went on him in second half.

impressed with Khamis, Coffield, West and Darcy. If JOD is in doubt just play Jones, Khamis and Coff on the talls. West set ateast 5 scoring assists. McNeil got on the end of a couple and he played well but have West and Weightman ahead, he would be on my bench or sub.

If anything happen to TIm we are covered with Darcy and Lobb. By 2025 Darcy will be ready for a number q ruck role.

We do have depth in most lines now. Our backline looks good and thank god common sense took place and Khamis has gone back. We have depth now with Gards and Keath as backups and not in the best 22.

no excuses this year.

josie
24-02-2024, 11:21 AM
I also thought Cleary was good.

I keep thinking of Matrix when they refer to match simulations. For us it would be do you want the red, white or blue pill.

JanLorMill
24-02-2024, 12:24 PM
impressed with Khamis, Coffield, West and Darcy. If JOD is in doubt just play Jones, Khamis and Coff on the talls.

More worried about a possible Jones injury. Hawks had 1 tall and gunston, another one with only Khamis and Coff covering isn't gonna work.
Darcy could cover but not sure 3 talls ruck size works and he is better suited up forward.

Dazza
24-02-2024, 12:27 PM
More worried about a possible Jones injury. Hawks had 1 tall and gunston, another one with only Khamis and Coff covering isn't gonna work.
Darcy could cover but not sure 3 talls ruck size works and he is better suited up forward.

I absolutely love Darcy as a player but I don't think defence suits him at all. Doesn't have the pace required against elite KPF's and doesn't have the strength yet either.

Ruck/KPF is 100% his role going forward IMO

kruder
24-02-2024, 12:28 PM
It was a pleasure to get to watch Libba up close and personal yesterday, the way he attacks the ball is on another level and he is just so clean thought he was brilliant.He has some real size across his shoulders these days looks a real unit.

Naughty looked really athletic yesterday, he was moving as good as I've ever seen him that big deal doesn't look like it has done him any harm yet. Utilising him further from goal should help to create more space/separation in our three tall set up.

Sanders is the right pick at the right time considering we have an ageing midfield. He was running around looking like a Brownlow medalist I would suggest his first half was better than anything Baz and Macrae put out last year.

Cody was covering the ground so well, he really does have the ability to impact a game in the mould of Papley there is no doubt about it.

Fingers crossed Liam Jones can stay healthy, his positioning, closing speed is on another level you wouldn't know he was in the twilight of his career. While we are on defence, Buku's kicking was impressive while most of our defenders struggled by foot I thought. Hopefully it was the conditions and a bit of rust because its an area we struggled with last year while playing three talls in defence.

Mcsteal played his best game for the club there is no doubt about it, that's exactly how a fringe/role player should attack a preseason outing. He did the basics well, got front and centre a lot but I will hold judgment on him until he nails gettable goals when the whips are cracking. I think we all agree that we lack natural/specialist small forwards on the list fingers crossed Clarke can keep improving.

Harmes and Coffield are two really good role players the classic moneyball selections that can make that small percentage difference over the year in a really tight competition.

Who looked best? If Sanders looked like a Brownlow medalist, Bontempelli looked like he was from another planet.

Hopefully next year once the stand is done we can have an official practice match there, you just get to appreciate how good the players are from that kind of distance.

bornadog
24-02-2024, 12:31 PM
Thanks Kruder, nice update

Palace03
24-02-2024, 12:45 PM
Great to have the footy back! Watched the game sitting next to Libba snr too, he would have been very pleased as Tom run around and did his thing, as he always does.

Always a positive time of year and these games you just hope the guys get a run, the kids show a bit and no one gets hurt (hoping JOD's ankle is just a tweek)

The positives I took out of it;

- Riley Sanders, WOW we've certainly got one there. Zips around accumulating, great vision, V good disposal and does all the defensive stuff too. With an ageing midfield and uncertainty around Baz's future I'm wrapped they chose Sanders over Watson.

- Good day for the Rhylee's. Westy was fantastic and should be a lock for Round 1. Dominated across HF, particularly the first 1/4. Good link between mid and forward line.

- Talls - despite the wind, all the talls were dominant in the air. Naughts marked everything and looks great up the ground. Lobb took some strong contested marks up on the wing also. Darcy will be a wonderful forward/R2 for a long time. Not sure how that mix works come round 1. If all fit Darc may well start in the VFL, but won't be there for long.

- McNeil, played a good small forwards game and also probably played himself into Round 1 also.

- Clear plan and defined roles - Collectively there was a clear plan to at least try and move the ball forward at all times and quickly. There was very little going backwards and they seemed to get the balance right between the short/long ball movement. Under the roof at Marvel this quick ball movement will make the talls hard to stop.

The players also seemed to have far more defined roles and weren't thrown around and there didn't seem to be any Easton Wood forward, ridiculous role changes experimented with.

The squads were well organised to allow fringe players maximum time in their roles. Some examples were the pairing of Poulter/Baker on the wing in the first game, Bedendo/Freija in the 2nd. Lobb/Darcy and English/Smith. Pushing Bont and Treloar into the seconds game gave great exposure to Sanders and Gallagher in the midfield. The defined roles for all players, particularly the youngsters will go along way to helping them settle and thrive.

The second 1/4 fade out was a concern as oppo run ons was a huge problem last year, hopefully this area continues to improve.

Battle for Round 1 spots for me:

Defenders - I've still got JOD over Gardy (pending fitness) Buku and Coffield over Dureya and Cleary.

Wings - Williams, Poulter and Scott, over Baker and Bedendo.

Small forwards - Weightman, West and McNeil over Arty and Clarke

Unless they find room for both I've got Lobb just shading Darc for Round 1.

Dazza
24-02-2024, 12:57 PM
Great to have the footy back! Watched the game sitting next to Libba snr too, he would have been very pleased as Tom run around and did his thing, as he always does.

Always a positive time of year and these games you just hope the guys get a run, the kids show a bit and no one gets hurt (hoping JOD's ankle is just a tweek)

- Riley Sanders, WOW we've certainly got one there. Zips around accumulating, great vision, V good disposal and does all the defensive stuff too. With an ageing midfield and uncertainty around Baz's future I'm wrapped they chose Sanders over Watson.

- Good day for the Rhylee's. Westy was fantastic and should be a lock for Round 1. Dominated across HF, particularly the first 1/4. Good link between mid and forward line.

- Talls - despite the wind, all the talls were dominant in the air. Naughts marked everything and looks great up the ground. Lobb took some strong contested marks up on the wing also. Darcy will be a wonderful forward/R2 for a long time. Not sure how that mix works come round 1. If all fit Darc may well start in the VFL, but won't be there for long.

- McNeil, played a good small forwards game and also probably played himself into Round 1 also.

- Clear plan and defined roles - Collectively there was a clear plan to at least try and move the ball forward at all times and quickly. There was very little going backwards and they seemed to get the balance right between the short/long ball movement. Under the roof at Marvel this quick ball movement will make the talls hard to stop.

The players also seemed to have far more defined roles and weren't thrown around and there didn't seem to be any Easton Wood forward, ridiculous role changes experimented with.

The squads were well organised to allow fringe players maximum time in their roles. Some examples were the pairing of Poulter/Baker on the wing in the first game, Bedendo/Freija in the 2nd. Lobb/Darcy and English/Smith. Pushing Bont and Treloar into the seconds game gave great exposure to Sanders and Gallagher in the midfield. The defined roles for all players, particularly the youngsters will go along way to helping them settle and thrive.

The second 1/4 fade out was a concern as oppo run ons was a huge problem last year, hopefully this area continues to improve.

Defenders - I've still got JOD over Gardy (pending fitness) Buku and Coffield over Dureya and Cleary.

I love Wests attack on the ball. You'd back him to win the pill in most 50/50 situations. He often will win it 2v1.

doggies ftw
24-02-2024, 01:19 PM
It was a pleasure to get to watch Libba up close and personal yesterday, the way he attacks the ball is on another level and he is just so clean thought he was brilliant.He has some real size across his shoulders these days looks a real unit.

Naughty looked really athletic yesterday, he was moving as good as I've ever seen him that big deal doesn't look like it has done him any harm yet. Utilising him further from goal should help to create more space/separation in our three tall set up.

Sanders is the right pick at the right time considering we have an ageing midfield. He was running around looking like a Brownlow medalist I would suggest his first half was better than anything Baz and Macrae put out last year.

Cody was covering the ground so well, he really does have the ability to impact a game in the mould of Papley there is no doubt about it.

Fingers crossed Liam Jones can stay healthy, his positioning, closing speed is on another level you wouldn't know he was in the twilight of his career. While we are on defence, Buku's kicking was impressive while most of our defenders struggled by foot I thought. Hopefully it was the conditions and a bit of rust because its an area we struggled with last year while playing three talls in defence.

Mcsteal played his best game for the club there is no doubt about it, that's exactly how a fringe/role player should attack a preseason outing. He did the basics well, got front and centre a lot but I will hold judgment on him until he nails gettable goals when the whips are cracking. I think we all agree that we lack natural/specialist small forwards on the list fingers crossed Clarke can keep improving.

Harmes and Coffield are two really good role players the classic moneyball selections that can make that small percentage difference over the year in a really tight competition.

Who looked best? If Sanders looked like a Brownlow medalist, Bontempelli looked like he was from another planet.

Hopefully next year once the stand is done we can have an official practice match there, you just get to appreciate how good the players are from that kind of distance.

Agree the kicking out of defence was poor but think that?ll improve with probably our two best ball users in Red & Dale to come back and take some load off the other guys.

Great write up 👍

jeemak
24-02-2024, 02:11 PM
Some of the malaise in the second quarter coming out of defence was exacerbated by wanting to bring the ball grandstand side rather than the defensive side. This made it easier for the Hawks to set up, increase pressure and score.

You'd hope that in an actual game of footy more of the ball coming out of defence would be directed via the Hawkins wing.

bornadog
24-02-2024, 02:21 PM
Some of the malaise in the second quarter coming out of defence was exacerbated by wanting to bring the ball grandstand side rather than the defensive side. This made it easier for the Hawks to set up, increase pressure and score.

You'd hope that in an actual game of footy more of the ball coming out of defence would be directed via the Hawkins wing.

Was there an issue with the wind and which way it was blowing?

SonofScray
24-02-2024, 02:25 PM
Watching the replay now.

Sanders, Darcy, Buku, West and Coffield the players that raised my interest.

As a contest, there wasn’t much to take away or get excited about. On the replay though I have enjoyed the connection between Lobb and Naughton, as well as some of the quick movement through traffic. Saw a real commitment to keeping the ball in motion at times.

Just need to see a few things occur under duress and I’ll be all in.

SonofScray
24-02-2024, 02:27 PM

I was surprised the commentary played down the wind. It was blustery as all hell a few hundred meters away on campus at work.

jeemak
24-02-2024, 02:33 PM

It seemed from the vision it was a souwester blowing towards the intersection of Gordon and Barkly, making the attacking side the grandstand side.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-02-2024, 02:35 PM

Some really nice observations here Palace03. It's great having some real selection headaches for the match committee ahead of the season.
Totally removed from the low level of opposition we were up against in both games, I too was really impressed by what we brought, and your observations above are in line with a lot of of what I took away from the perspective of the things we can control and want to see from our guys at this time of year. A lot of good barometers for a focused and confident group ahead of round 1.

dog town
24-02-2024, 02:57 PM
It seemed from the vision it was a souwester blowing towards the intersection of Gordon and Barkly, making the attacking side the grandstand side.

I thought our ball use in the second was the main reason they got some momentum. We just didn’t get it right into the wind and made some shocking decisions. Even some of our shallow entries on slow plays to central areas were just dumb.

Throw a 50 metre penalty goal in and a red time goal caused by Naughton taking a dive instead of playing the percentages and the qtr quickly looked worse than it should have.

jeemak
24-02-2024, 03:36 PM
I thought our ball use in the second was the main reason they got some momentum. We just didn’t get it right into the wind and made some shocking decisions. Even some of our shallow entries on slow plays to central areas were just dumb.

Throw a 50 metre penalty goal in and a red time goal caused by Naughton taking a dive instead of playing the percentages and the qtr quickly looked worse than it should have.

The Cleary one really stood out to me.

Before I Die
24-02-2024, 05:42 PM
FINAL SCORE:14.21 105 to 3.6 24

Looks like it was a walk in the park, which was to be expected with a number of our topline players participating. Did anyone note the goal kickers? I'm assuming from some of the above comments that Clarke had a good day.

doggies ftw
24-02-2024, 06:36 PM
Looks like it was a walk in the park, which was to be expected with a number of our topline players participating. Did anyone note the goal kickers? I'm assuming from some of the above comments that Clarke had a good day.

Clarke had 5, Bont 3 & Marra 3-4 I believe from a report I read

ledge
24-02-2024, 09:44 PM

It very much was , I think some of the hawks players might have been in awe of watching the Bont and thinking OMG I can’t compete with this.