PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the forward lines

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 08:43 PM
Code sports have ranked the forward lines for each side. Link (https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-position-ranks-brisbane-lions-come-out-on-top-of-battle-of-the-forward-lines/news-story/a4d1a0a8d48e22cb44ddb48a5044eea0)
Is this a balanced list? Who surprises you?

1 - Brisbane
2 - Adelaide
3 - Carlton
4 - Geelong
5 - Collingwood
6 - GWS
7 - Western Bulldogs
Expert votes: 70

The names look pretty good but the results, like most of the rest of the Dogs side last year, were just average.
The Dogs were 10th for points, ninth for points off turnovers, 13th for scores from stoppages and 11th for accuracy. Bang average.
Aaron Naughton is a very good forward who isn?t great. Rory Lobb can disappear or dominate. Jamarra Ugle-Hagan needs to kick straighter but looks like a star and Cody Weightman is among the best small forwards in the game.
The pieces are there, with Sam Darcy itching for game time as a pack-marking forward-ruck. Right across the ground, Luke Beveridge just needs the pieces to fit better.
Key stat: Just four players have kicked at least 40 goals in each of the last three seasons: Tom Hawkins, Charlie Cameron, Taylor Walker and Aaron Naughton.

8 - Port Adelaide
9 - Sydney
10 - Gold Coast
11 - Melbourne
12 - Richmond
13 - St Kilda
14 - Hawothorn
15 - Essendon
16 - Fremantle
17 - North Melbourne
18 - West Coast

bulldogtragic
20-02-2024, 09:12 PM
And Charlie Clarke.

Go_Dogs
20-02-2024, 09:21 PM
I’m surprised Adelaide is so high. Maybe I’m not giving them enough credit.

GVGjr
20-02-2024, 09:28 PM
I’m surprised Adelaide is so high. Maybe I’m not giving them enough credit.

That's the one that surprised me. Is Walker, Thilthorpe Rankine, Fogarty and perhaps Rachelle much better, if at all, than our forwards?

Go_Dogs
20-02-2024, 09:38 PM
That's the one that surprised me. Is Walker, Thilthorpe Rankine, Fogarty and perhaps Rachelle much better, if at all, than our forwards?

Agree.

Walker has been a great player for a long time but must be due to slow down. Not sure Thilthorpe moves the needle. Rankine and Fogarty are flashy players and excite, however I don’t consider them consistent contributors. Rachelle a way to go.

I’d back our forwards over theirs collectively, although we lack a genuine small crumbing forward.

Dry Rot
20-02-2024, 10:39 PM
The Crows are an interesting one.

I thought they might be a bolter this year, but know very little about them.

What is their defence and midfield like these days?

ShibbyUp
20-02-2024, 10:50 PM
Adelaide had the most shots at goal out of anyone last year I believe