PDA

View Full Version : Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 09:01 AM
Victorian rival enters the race for Ugle-Hagan's signature (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/03/06/report-victorian-rival-enters-the-race-for-ugle-hagans-signature/)

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/3s9S6sUCWqT743wll0zuHF/e3948c3ea28e6cea0b77ba295c128959/03WBBr23DB3962.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Hawthorn has entered the race to sign Western Bulldogs forward Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, reports Seven's Mitch Cleary.

The 21-year-old comes out of contract at the end of the 2024 season and many expect the former No.1 draft pick to explode in his fourth AFL campaign.

While Cleary says that the Dogs are confident that they'll re-sign their man, he says that the Hawks are well and truly in the race for his signature as they have ample salary cap space to spare.

"This is big, right now Jamarra Ugle-Hagan is the most in-demand key forward in the competition," Cleary told Talking Footy.

"Many believe this is the year he's going to explode into the competition.

"Right now, the Dogs are extremely confident that he'll re-sign and they're in a good place.

"But Hawthorn has entered the race to sign Jamarra Ugle-Hagan. We know they?re after a key back, but they're also after a key forward and they've got salary cap space."

Cleary expects the Hawks to come hard at Ugle-Hagan after missing out on a trio of other young key forwards as they look to partner Mitch Lewis with another star option.

"They went after Todd Marshall in recent times, Ben King and they missed out on Aaron Naughton as well," Cleary said.

"But the Hawks are well and truly in the race for Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

"We know Sydney has been linked and the Pies have been linked also, but make no mistake the Hawthorn footy club want to partner Jamarra Ugle-Hagan with Mitch Lewis as a key pillar in their attack.

"The Dogs though, are confident he'll be their man for the future."

After Aaron Naughton re-signed until the end of the 2032 season, Bulldogs great Adam Cooney thinks that Ugle-Hagan and his management will push for a deal on similar terms.

If the Bulldogs are unable to also offer Ugle-Hagan a big-money long-term deal, Cooney thinks that he could look to sign that type of contract elsewhere.

bulldogtragic
07-03-2024, 09:09 AM
Beat. Up.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 09:17 AM
Nice place for Marra to be. Happy for him.

angelopetraglia
07-03-2024, 09:25 AM
The excitement and verbose nature with which Mitch Cleary reported that Hawthorn were in the mix for Marra is everything that is wrong with the coverage of the game.

Thank God the actual season starts tonight. Breathe.

Mantis
07-03-2024, 09:31 AM
I think every club would be derelict in their duties, which is to improve their list to not enquire with Jamarra's manager to his availability.

He is a star of the game on the rise and whilst I feel confident in our abilities to make an attractive offer and be the club he wants to play for there is going to be offers made to him which probably haven't been seen before.

azabob
07-03-2024, 09:47 AM
Nice place for Marra to be. Happy for him.

Surely you know someone who knows Marra personally?

Marra is such a pleasure to watch, I really hope we get to watch him in our colours.

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 10:30 AM
If Jamarra had have been drafted by somebody else we would want the club to be enquiring as to his availability too. It's a nothing story that will continue to be rehashed every few weeks until he re-signs.

I did see another article yesterday that Sydney are interested in Cam Zurhaar, so clearly they are already resigned to the fact Marra will be extending his stay at the kennel. :cool:

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 10:35 AM
Surely you know someone who knows Marra personally?

Marra is such a pleasure to watch, I really hope we get to watch him in our colours.
Same here.

Im thinking it means he gets a loooong term deal with us.

Naughton and he are close.

Think ive said this before but for me :

Marra stays - long term maybe a big deal like 6 plus.
Tim - 50/50 not sure we will match a mega offer.
Baz : Unlikely to stay.

Happy Days
07-03-2024, 10:38 AM
Didn’t they have to stop airing Talking Footy because it was getting handily outrated by re-runs of Neighbours?

GVGjr
07-03-2024, 10:45 AM
I doubt there is a team that hasn't inquired about his interests in leaving us but perhaps the Hawks have been the most persistent.
For what it's worth the body language and the way he connects with players at the training sessions and match days etc would indicate he's very content at the Kennel. He also seems to have a real bond with Naughton.

It's always difficult to predict what players might do but the signs look positive about him staying.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-03-2024, 11:20 AM
Same here.

Im thinking it means he gets a loooong term deal with us.

Naughton and he are close.

Think ive said this before but for me :

And that is the order of priority for me :)

bornadog
07-03-2024, 11:45 AM

The ****ing season is just getting started and we are going to get these so called journos speculating the whole season till they sign up.

It is such a distraction and I really hope this doesn't effect their performance and the whole teams.

The players need to play ball and tell us their decision, because this sort of thing really turns me off footy.

What is the hold up??? It is plain bullshit.

Get it done Sam.

Sedat
07-03-2024, 11:49 AM
CoNtEnT

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 11:51 AM
The ****ing season is just getting started and we are going to get these so called journos speculating the whole season till they sign up.

It is such a distraction and I really hope this doesn't effect their performance and the whole teams.

The players need to play ball and tell us their decision, because this sort of thing really turns me off footy.

Get it done Sam.

From Marra's point of view if he starts the season on fire maybe he pushes his price up. Can't blame players for maximising their contracts. The season hasn't even started yet, if we are still waiting for a decision come August that's a different story.

Grantysghost
07-03-2024, 12:04 PM

Get it done Sam.
The art of the deal?

I get it, also get its frustrating for fans.

I can't see why Baz wouldn't have signed by now, not like anything is going to change.

bornadog
07-03-2024, 12:07 PM
From Marra's point of view if he starts the season on fire maybe he pushes his price up. Can't blame players for maximising their contracts. The season hasn't even started yet, if we are still waiting for a decision come August that's a different story.

It's just crap. Put in a performance clause and he can earn more. There are ways and means.

Back in 1985, Simon Beasley was put on a performance contract and got ex amount per goal he kicked. Ended up with over 100.

The distraction of three players is hard to take.

Bulldog4life
07-03-2024, 12:15 PM
I doubt there is a team that hasn't inquired about his interests in leaving us but perhaps the Hawks have been the most persistent.
For what it's worth the body language and the way he connects with players at the training sessions and match days etc would indicate he's very content at the Kennel. He also seems to have a real bond with Naughton.

It's always difficult to predict what players might do but the signs look positive about him staying.

Wise of the club to sign Naughty long term.

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 12:18 PM
It's just crap. Put in a performance clause and he can earn more. There are ways and means.

Back in 1985, Simon Beasley was put on a performance contract and got ex amount per goal he kicked. Ended up with over 100.

The distraction of three players is hard to take.

I imagine clubs have to be very careful with performance clauses due to a little thing called the salary cap. Have too many and you risk blowing up your cap. Per goal bonuses are an awful incentive (I've heard of them in local footy). Forwards are greedy enough as it is, don't want to encourage them to be even more selfish.

It's also no individual players concern the contract status of other players.

It's the AFL landscape whether we like it or not, no point yelling at clouds.

mjp
07-03-2024, 12:24 PM

It's hard. I think this is the sort of article that gets clicks hence the producers want it and the jouro's write it.

I'm more interested in what Jamarra does this year right now than any contract he might sign but I think across the media consuming 'market' mine is a minority view.

bornadog
07-03-2024, 12:41 PM
I imagine clubs have to be very careful with performance clauses due to a little thing called the salary cap. Have too many and you risk blowing up your cap. Per goal bonuses are an awful incentive (I've heard of them in local footy). Forwards are greedy enough as it is, don't want to encourage them to be even more selfish.

It's also no individual players concern the contract status of other players.

It's the AFL landscape whether we like it or not, no point yelling at clouds.

That performance clause was an example, I wasn't advocating that particular one. Footy is differfent these days.

I have the right to yell at the clouds :D

bornadog
07-03-2024, 12:42 PM
It's hard. I think this is the sort of article that gets clicks hence the producers want it and the jouro's write it.

I'm more interested in what Jamarra does this year right now than any contract he might sign but I think across the media consuming 'market' mine is a minority view.

I know, I know.

I will refuse to click those articles.

G-Mo77
07-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Marra is the only one I'm confident in staying. I think English already has one foot out the door and Bailey will likely walk as well. The injury might change things around a little though and may scare off some suitors.

The Underdog
07-03-2024, 01:45 PM
Is there a way I can mute contract talk from all aspects of my life until October?

Axe Man
07-03-2024, 03:58 PM
Is there a way I can mute contract talk from all aspects of my life until October?

Borrow Gvg's tent and go live in the remote Tasmanian wilderness?

jazzadogs
07-03-2024, 04:02 PM
The art of the deal?

I get it, also get its frustrating for fans.

I can't see why Baz wouldn't have signed by now, not like anything is going to change.

Think you've answered your own question...

jazzadogs
07-03-2024, 04:02 PM
Who determines that Hawthorn are 'in the race' for Marra? Anyone can nominate themselves for a race...doesn't mean they'll finish on the podium.

Bulldog Joe
07-03-2024, 05:46 PM
Who determines that Hawthorn are 'in the race' for Marra? Anyone can nominate themselves for a race...doesn't mean they'll finish on the podium.

Nomination doesn't even get you in the race.

SonofScray
07-03-2024, 11:07 PM
Were you ROCKED by this SHOCKING update that left other fans REELING?

kickit2Koly
08-03-2024, 12:58 AM
This screams of an agent planted story to try and squeeze a little more out of us

FrediKanoute
08-03-2024, 07:30 AM
Clickbait Clickbait Clickbait

Players come and players go. Yep will be p*ssed and will reserve the right to boo him if it transpires, but I am more concerned with him being that vital cog in our tilt for a flag this year. God I would love if we made the GF and played Brissy and beat them......

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
08-03-2024, 12:13 PM
This is almost the natural logical and depressing evo-(devo?)-lutionary consequence of the disruption digital media 'robber barons' have wrought upon the established hegemonic print, music and television industries. They've totally bypassed old media's long established and enforced principles, structures, strictures of how media was 'meant to work' and have surfed the speedy wave with which social norms and consumer preferences for media consumption changed once digital media started to emerge and evolve.

It's not a good thing either. And that's not at all to praise the previous structures at all. But the 'eyes on screen' motivation of digital media providers is a horrific outcome for us all. It leads to click bait, lies, hyperbole and being loudest and first and shocking....it wedges...and in turn keeps angry outraged, shocked, titillated consumers on the screen...which is the $$$ payoff for the media in selling advertising.

Sorry I've derailed this discussion with an 'old man yells at cloud' style rant about the ills of the digital media

Grantysghost
08-03-2024, 01:10 PM
This is almost the natural logical and depressing evo-(devo?)-lutionary consequence of the disruption digital media 'robber barons' have wrought upon the established hegemonic print, music and television industries. They've totally bypassed old media's long established and enforced principles, structures, strictures of how media was 'meant to work' and have surfed the speedy wave with which social norms and consumer preferences for media consumption changed once digital media started to emerge and evolve.

It's not a good thing either. And that's not at all to praise the previous structures at all. But the 'eyes on screen' motivation of digital media providers is a horrific outcome for us all. It leads to click bait, lies, hyperbole and being loudest and first and shocking....it wedges...and in turn keeps angry outraged, shocked, titillated consumers on the screen...which is the $$$ payoff for the media in selling advertising.

Sorry I've derailed this discussion with an old man yells and cloud style rant about the ills of the digital media
Very astute observations YHF.

The only thing i see balancing the equation to a degree is citizen reporting for want of a better term.

Social media has at the very least broken the control of the hegemony as youve described it to a degree, IF you know where to look.

Sadly though i think people still like being fed their daily dose of cultivated bad news at 6pm each night.

hujsh
08-03-2024, 02:50 PM
Very astute observations YHF.

The only thing i see balancing the equation to a degree is citizen reporting for want of a better term.

Social media has at the very least broken the control of the hegemony as youve described it to a degree, IF you know where to look.

Sadly though i think people still like being fed their daily dose of cultivated bad news at 6pm each night.

Social media feeds into this even harder. Whether it's Twitter or something like Neighbourhood.

Dazza
09-03-2024, 10:59 AM
Am I completely biased or does it feel like we get more speculation about losing players than other vic clubs?

Either way Jamarra is a vital part of the clubs future goibg forward. Moreso than any other player on the list IMO

The Underdog
09-03-2024, 11:42 AM

Sorry I've derailed this discussion with an 'old man yells at cloud' style rant about the ills of the digital media

Completely off thread topic but a wider view on the digital world we?re trapped in and how we got here. Happy to delete if I?ve gone too rogue.

https://disconnect.blog/the-digital-revolution-has-failed/

EasternWest
09-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Completely off thread topic but a wider view on the digital world we?re trapped in and how we got here. Happy to delete if I?ve gone too rogue.

https://disconnect.blog/the-digital-revolution-has-failed/

No such thing. Rogue out.

The Underdog
09-03-2024, 09:12 PM
No such thing. Rogue out.

Tim English is an intimidating physical beast.

EasternWest
09-03-2024, 09:33 PM
Tim English is an intimidating physical beast.

Too far. Walk it back.

MrMahatma
09-03-2024, 09:34 PM
Am I completely biased or does it feel like we get more speculation about losing players than other vic clubs?

Either way Jamarra is a vital part of the clubs future goibg forward. Moreso than any other player on the list IMO

We just have better young players than the rest!

Glove38
12-03-2024, 06:09 PM
Stating the obvious we have some critical strategic decisions to make on where we think the game is headed. In 10 years time what will be the value of the key forward? Ignoring what we do with Darcy (Is he a forward or ruck or something else entirely) we potentially will be locked to >$2M per year on these twin towers when the trend has been for smaller forwards. The growing salary cap helps this, but I'd love to know the internal discussions we are having on this.

Personally, Marra is the signature of the 3 coming out of contract that I want the most, but I just find it fascinating to see where this ends up and how far we far we are forced to go with Hawks, Swans and probably every other team throwing some massive numbers around his management.