PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee Round 2 vs Gold Coast Suns

Pages : [1] 2

GVGjr
11-03-2024, 05:54 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. The Match Committee threads has been named after long time WOOF member Always Right who tragically passed away in March 2018.

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee, what changes would you make after our Round One match against Melbourne for our Round Two match against the Suns at Ballarat on Sunday afternoon.

For those new to these threads, please give a brief explanation for your changes ... this would add a lot of value to the discussion

GVGjr
17-03-2024, 04:35 PM
Bump

EasternWest
17-03-2024, 04:39 PM
No changes. Everything is fine.

josie
17-03-2024, 04:40 PM

I need a laugh. Thanks EW.

Happy Days
17-03-2024, 04:41 PM
Out: Harmes McNeil

In: Macrae Daniel

You know, like we should’ve done the first time?

bulldogtragic
17-03-2024, 04:41 PM

Yep. Just some bad luck today.

Vred
17-03-2024, 04:43 PM
Out: McNeil, Sanders

In: CD, Macrae, Bedendo to bench

azabob
17-03-2024, 04:44 PM
Can we throw the baby and bath water out?

Happy Days
17-03-2024, 04:45 PM

So long as the baby is James Harmes.

EasternWest
17-03-2024, 04:45 PM
So long as the baby is James Harmes.

I think someone has a new hobby horse and my body is ready for it.

Grantysghost
17-03-2024, 04:46 PM
There was no spark or even a look of care apart from West.
Where's the emotion i don't get this team.

hujsh
17-03-2024, 04:49 PM

Some babies are ugly. It needs saying.

Anyway someone was saying something about football?

Happy Days
17-03-2024, 04:50 PM
I think someone has a new hobby horse and my body is ready for it.

Personally I thought his headbutt to Steven “Maysy” May was the exact sort of act we need to stamp out of the game and I hope a long, long suspension is coming.

Mofra
17-03-2024, 04:54 PM
Personally I thought his headbutt to Steven “Maysy” May was the exact sort of act we need to stamp out of the game and I hope a long, long suspension is coming.
I'm guessing you're hoping for 23 weeks?

Happy Days
17-03-2024, 05:01 PM
I'm guessing you're hoping for 23 weeks?

Yep. Finals wildcard Jimmy Harmes coming up!

The Doctor
17-03-2024, 05:02 PM
In/Out

Darcy for Lobb
Macrae for McNeill
Keath for Khamis
Daniel for Vandermeer
Poulter for Willams
Garcia for Harmes

Gags and Sanders get another go. Treloar on notice.

I know it wont happen. Bevo will drop Bont before he drops Harmes.

azabob
17-03-2024, 05:08 PM
In/Out

Darcy for Lobb
Macrae for McNeill
Keath for Khamis
Daniel for Vandermeer
Poulter for Willams
Garcia for Harmes

Gags and Sanders get another go. Treloar on notice.

I know it wont happen. Bevo will drop Bont before he drops Harmes.

Doc where do you play Naughton? Our forward can’t function with Marra, Naughton and Lobb / Darcy.

mighty_west
17-03-2024, 05:16 PM
VDM and McNeil just don't do enough for mine, obviously Naughton won't be dropped, but he deserves to be, needed to get higher up the ground more often. English battled hard but looked out of it after copping that hit and Lobb just not enough, Darcy is really knocking the door down and deserves a spot, question is how many changes is too many?

Really wanted Harmes to put a hard tag on Oliver, he teams up well with Petracca and both were cutting us up (seen that before) when Gawn took ownership of Timmy, how to get Ben Brown back in form, play Buku on him, too tall and too smart for Buku.

In the gun : VDM, McNeil, Lobb, Khamis, Harmes.

With JOD out for 12 days, Buku lucky to go again next week given the Suns have a smaller forward line, he should get a better match up.

Out : VDM, McNeil, Lobb, Harmes
In : MacRae, Garcia, Darcy, Daniel

MrMahatma
17-03-2024, 05:42 PM
Out: Khamis, McNeil, VDM, Lobb
In: Darcy, JOD, Jacko, Daniel

GVGjr
17-03-2024, 06:01 PM
Out: Khamis, McNeil, VDM, Lobb
In: Darcy, JOD, Jacko, Daniel

I think you will find that JOD misses 2 or 3 weeks with the concussion he copped yesterday.

The Doctor
17-03-2024, 06:20 PM
Bevo and the MC have to make a statement don't they? No excuses. Greatest prep ever etc. They threw in the towel and many played poorly. Quite a few put their hands up at WO on Saturday.

Make a statement Dogs. This is not good enough.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 06:25 PM
Bevo sounded extremley dissapointed at a few players who had good summers and went past players like Caleb. It will be interesting to see if they get a second chance or not.

GVGjr
17-03-2024, 06:26 PM
Bevo and the MC have to make a statement don't they? No excuses. Greatest prep ever etc. They threw in the towel and many played poorly. Quite a few put their hands up at WO on Saturday.

Make a statement Dogs. This is not good enough.

I just wonder if we would ever throw the magnets around in the first week or two of the season. A few of the Footscray boys performed well so it will be interesting to see if we promote them.

DOG GOD
17-03-2024, 06:33 PM
No change

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 07:17 PM
On today's performance you easily make a case to drop.

Lobb. Seven touches. Dropped some marks.
Buku Looked undersized against Brown. Made some errors.
VDM Didn't do enough and went missing in a number of big moments.
Harmes 11 touches. Didn't have any real impact.
McNeil 14 touches. 7 clangers. No more needs to be said.

I can't see Bevo making five changes. McNeil can't play. Impossible. So he is out. I can see him perserving with Buku and Harmes. Potentially Lobb and VDM could go too.

Grantysghost
17-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Out : Harmes, McNeil
In : Macrae, Baker

Baker sub.

Buku we have to see if he can develop. I wasn't impressed however worth persevering.

Lobb, he was shit but wont be dropped so early.

Williams for Poulter i'd consider he really shits we with his laconic attitude but i think we will play him as we always do.

Scary part is there's not a lot in reserve that will impact. Darcy of course.

lemmon
17-03-2024, 07:46 PM
Out: McNeill, Laith, Coffield
In: Macrae, Poulter, Keath

Gallagher as sub with Caleb into the 22.

We were too small down back and Keath looks like the next man in.

Laith and McNeil didn't bring any tackling pressure, so Harmes to move into that forward role and Macrae into the midfield. Caleb to play the high half-forward role that McNeill was today.

westbulldog
17-03-2024, 07:48 PM
Out (permanently) O'Neill, Vandermeer
In Macrae, Poulter ?

GVGjr
17-03-2024, 07:57 PM
Out: McNeill, Laith, Coffield
In: Macrae, Poulter, Keath

Gallagher as sub with Caleb into the 22.

We were too small down back and Keath looks like the next man in.

Laith and McNeil didn't bring any tackling pressure, so Harmes to move into that forward role and Macrae into the midfield. Caleb to play the high half-forward role that McNeill was today.

Keath might be the last tall standing in terms of defenders with Gardner injured and JOD concussed.

Danjul
17-03-2024, 08:01 PM
VDM and McNeil just don't do enough for mine, obviously Naughton won't be dropped, but he deserves to be, needed to get higher up the ground more often. English battled hard but looked out of it after copping that hit and Lobb just not enough, Darcy is really knocking the door down and deserves a spot, question is how many changes is too many?

Really wanted Harmes to put a hard tag on Oliver, he teams up well with Petracca and both were cutting us up (seen that before) when Gawn took ownership of Timmy, how to get Ben Brown back in form, play Buku on him, too tall and too smart for Buku.

In the gun : VDM, McNeil, Lobb, Khamis, Harmes.

With JOD out for 12 days, Buku lucky to go again next week given the Suns have a smaller forward line, he should get a better match up.

Out : VDM, McNeil, Lobb, Harmes
In : MacRae, Garcia, Darcy, Daniel

Brown is 11 cm taller and 18 kg heavier than Khamis. Add in perfect delivery and open forward structure putting them 1 on 1, I thought Khamis did ok. I was expecting a lot worse. Last year Brown got twice as many goals.

hujsh
17-03-2024, 08:43 PM
Brown is 11 cm taller and 18 kg heavier than Khamis. Add in perfect delivery and open forward structure putting them 1 on 1, I thought Khamis did ok. I was expecting a lot worse. Last year Brown got twice as many goals.

Have to agree. Assumed Khamis would mainly match up on Van Royen who, on paper at least, is a more suitable match up.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 09:42 PM
Lobb had seven touches. He had four clangers. He took once nice mark and a goal. Is Bevo going to be tempted to go with Darcy instead?

The Bulldogs Bite
17-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Lobb had seven touches. He had four clangers. He took once nice mark and a goal. Is Bevo going to be tempted to go with Darcy instead?

He should be.

There's really no reason to play Lobb over him - TOG means nothing if you don't actually contribute. I've tried defending him but he's basically given us nothing for a player we should be expecting so much more out of.

Its not to say Darcy isn't performing. He is.

Prince Imperial
17-03-2024, 10:02 PM

Absolutely. We really need to get games into Darcy; his overhead marking is sublime and he was terrific yesterday.

Lobb is poor list management from Sam Power and we have wasted two second round picks (33 and 37) on him.

kruder
17-03-2024, 10:31 PM
We cant go into another game with Buku and Coffield playing as key defenders. If Keath isn't fit then Naughty goes back, now that's leadership put your hand up Naughty.

PR0408
17-03-2024, 10:36 PM
We are to tall up fwd. hence why teams can exit our fwd 50 with ease.
We are to small down back. Maybe naughts goes back.
We also need to move ball more quick coming out of our own D50

PR0408
17-03-2024, 10:38 PM
Weightman also needs midfield minutes

G-Mo77
17-03-2024, 10:45 PM
Weightman also needs midfield minutes

Why? He's a small forward and a good one. Macrae would be a decent midfielder maybe we should play him.

PR0408
17-03-2024, 11:43 PM
Why? He's a small forward and a good one. Macrae would be a decent midfielder maybe we should play him.
He is definitely a good one. Two reason to keep him in the game and to add much needed leg speed in the midfield. Kozzy went in a few times for the dees.

jeemak
18-03-2024, 12:11 AM
Khamis getting beaten in the air by Brown doesn't worry me. Khamis being completely reactive to the ground ball, and Brown turning him on a dime scares me shitless.

Keath is a genuinely good defender if his body is OK. He'd never have to worry about being turned inside out by Ben Brown because he'd never let himself fall into the position where it might be possible in the first place.

Week one is done and dusted, let's get back to reality here and stop thinking in maybes. Keath is a better option when fit than Khamis ever will be as the second key defender. You can get away with pretending the opposite is true in practice games, but not in the real season. You can even pretend it's true in the first game to reward preseason performance, but after that, you can't.

Same goes with Daniel not starting on the ground. He's in the top twenty most talented players in the competition. He just has to play, and we can choose whether it's VDM, McNeil, Sanders, Gallagher, Williams or Harmes who he replaces, but he replaces one from that group. No question.

When Jack is fit enough, he plays. No question. The season has started, reputations and experience count, and players who aren't up to it need to either be better and work harder, or sit aside.

Hotdog60
18-03-2024, 12:24 AM
I would reinvent VDM as a tagger but Bevo doesn't tag but my theory is that he has leg speed and has shown he can lay a hard tackle.
So my message would be sit on the most dangerous player and don't let them get a kick.
Otherwise see ya later alligator.
Also some leg speed in the middle wouldn't hurt because all of Bont, Treloar and Libby aren't speed demons so some outside speed would be nice.

MrMahatma
18-03-2024, 01:51 AM
McNeil, VDM and Buku aren’t AFL level.

Here we go again. All preseason “our depth is crazy, how do we fit them all in” and in minutes we know a bunch aren’t up to it.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2024, 07:54 AM
What I would do:

Out: McNeil, VDM, Khamis

In: Macrae, Garcia, Darcy

Move Naughton to CHB, playing Marra, Lobb and Darcy as the forwards. Lobb to play high and chop in the ruck.

Macrae has to play midfield, so Treloar moves to the high half forward role for some of his time - rotating with Macca.

Garcia comes in and plays forward. It’s not his best position, but he seems the most ready and seasoned player who can tackle and has agility.

McNeil, VDM and Khamis miss. Let them get a block of footbal at VFL level and then we can reassess.

What I think we’ll do:

Either no change, or in Macrae and out McNeil.

Ozza
18-03-2024, 08:39 AM
I just want the nightmare of watching Laitham Vandermeer to end. I've never understood his selection, ever.

Him and McNeil - never again.

AshMac
18-03-2024, 08:45 AM
Out McNeil, Lobb. In Caleb and Darcy. Bedendo as sub.

If Rowell or Anderson get off the leash for
God sake put Harmes on them as a tagger.

AshMac
18-03-2024, 08:47 AM

In the air I agree - what I was suprised by was khamis? inability to match his foot speed or hold onto his body for a tackle and was just side stepped

Ozza
18-03-2024, 08:48 AM
Out McNeil, Lobb. In Caleb and Darcy. Bedendo as sub.

If Rowell or Anderson get off the leash for
God sake put Harmes on them as a tagger.

Extremely wishful thinking that our coach would make a move to tag if someone got out of control.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 08:55 AM
What I would do:

Move Naughton to CHB, playing Marra, Lobb and Darcy as the forwards. Lobb to play high and chop in the ruck.

Macrae has to play midfield, so Treloar moves to the high half forward role for some of his time - rotating with Macca.

Garcia comes in and plays forward. It?s not his best position, but he seems the most ready and seasoned player who can tackle and has agility.

McNeil, VDM and Khamis miss. Let them get a block of footbal at VFL level and then we can reassess.

What I think we?ll do:

Like it GD. I'd persevere with Buku.

Bevo said in his presser the problem for Buku was amount of time on ground. He was stuffed by the end.
I personally dont think he positions himself well and gets lost easily, however we've manufactured a plan for him let's give it some time. He's good in the aerial contest and a decent distributor.

Bullies
18-03-2024, 09:17 AM
Brown is 11 cm taller and 18 kg heavier than Khamis. Add in perfect delivery and open forward structure putting them 1 on 1, I thought Khamis did ok. I was expecting a lot worse. Last year Brown got twice as many goals. I don't blame Buku I blame the MC. He needs to learn how to defend and that takes time and that is in the 2's. Forwards will queue up to play on him. They know he has no vision and touch as to where they are. This is the most important part of defending. No problem playing him down back if he is a loose man. They are doing this with Buss at the moment. They are teaching him to defend and then allow him to make the play later when he learns the trade. Same should be done with Buku.

azabob
18-03-2024, 09:46 AM
What I would do:

Our forward line mix needs to change but I don't think those are the right strings to pull.

We need a more mobile and dynamic forward line, having Darcy and Lobb in the same forward line would be a disaster once the ball hits the ground. For mine it is either Darcy or Lobb not both.

I'd revert back to a two key position forward line - JUH and one other. Look to play Weightman as a permanent forward to play as the hybrid tall when required.

We need to persist with playing Bendendo deep in the VFL to see if he can string enough good games together to play the same role in the senior team.

Danjul
18-03-2024, 10:27 AM
The Buku story is getting weirder by the day.

He is a reasonable half back flanker so he was played in the ruck. Then the forward line and now a key defender.

But Macrae who is taller and heavier and more experienced and a natural footballer cannot get a game. What is it about Buku that means he gets impossible roles?

jDogs
18-03-2024, 10:30 AM
McNeil, VDM and Buku aren?t AFL level.

Here we go again. All preseason ?our depth is crazy, how do we fit them all in? and in minutes we know a bunch aren?t up to it.

A guy who found himself delisted and relisted over the preseason also found himself in the starting 18 in round 1. That's some red flag shit in my opinion. I know there are intricacies to list management, but gee...

Happy Days
18-03-2024, 10:33 AM
Friendship over with SWEET now BUKU is my best friend.

Anyone else hate this stupid team of jerks or just me?

hujsh
18-03-2024, 10:52 AM
The Buku story is getting weirder by the day.

He is a reasonable half back flanker so he was played in the ruck. Then the forward line and now a key defender.

But Macrae who is taller and heavier and more experienced and a natural footballer cannot get a game. What is it about Buku that means he gets impossible roles?

Buku has atheleticism that Macrae just doesn't have. Mainly his leap. So he can pinch hit in the ruck in theory and can try and compete as a key defender. Does it work well? Should he play those roles? Not really.

Obviously a key defender needs to come in this week since King and Casboult are just too big to think we can get by with Jones as the only true KPD so that's Keath with everyone else out for now. It then comes back to do we keep Buku or Coffield and I think Coffield will get the nod unless we add an extra defender to the squad at the expense of somewhere else.

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 10:54 AM
I'd consider bringing in Macrae, Daniel and maybe Garcia and Keath and with facing a potent GC midfield we need to give some serious consideration about using with Macrae or Harmes in a tagging role with Rowell.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 11:32 AM
It looks like Harmes will get suspened for headbutting May, so that will be one less decision the match commitee need to make.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 11:36 AM
It looks like Harmes will get suspened for headbutting May, so that will be one less decision the match commitee need to make.

That was dumb - however May got into him a few times and he cracked it.

The fact no one went into bat for him really dissapointed me.

hujsh
18-03-2024, 11:36 AM

HD fuming that it's not for 23 weeks

ReLoad
18-03-2024, 11:43 AM
What a dumpster fire our team selection is. the Masterstroke MC of 2016 is but a faded distant memory.

Harmes needs to play, BUT he has to play a role, its simple, the guy is a lockdown player, give him a job, simple. This should be rowell.
VDM and McNeil are both done, honestly they bring 100% of nothing, which is still nothing. They havent learnt anything new, so end this nonsense now.
We need to see if Macrae still has it as an inside mid. Hes had a mixed bag pre season, but the guy has been a superstar for a long period of time, we know he has the skills, surely he gets a good go at HIS prime position. Not some Bevo lets play him as a high Half forward type BS.
Melbourne slaughtered us with their defensive rebound and wing work (as they always do) yet we did nothing to combat it. They waltzed out of D50 like it was a gala ball. This is where Cody (and whoever else is a Small forward) sit on someones head. Did cody or anyone else in our F50 lay a decent tackle?

Happy Days
18-03-2024, 12:10 PM
HD fuming that it's not for 23 weeks

Disgusting act that needs stamping out of the game. He could’ve killed him.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2024, 12:17 PM

Bevo said in his presser the problem for Buku was amount of time on ground. He was stuffed by the end.
I personally dont think he positions himself well and gets lost easily, however we've manufactured a plan for him let's give it some time. He's good in the aerial contest and a decent distributor.

I agree that’s what we’ll likely do, especially with JOD out it seems the only world Buku doesn’t play is one where Naughton goes to CHB and we know that ain’t going to happen under Bevo.

Buku is an interesting player. He’s almost at his best playing as an interceptor where he can run and jump at the contest without having to worry too much about his direct opponent - which historically is a skill I’ve viewed as a defender with some footy nous having - however you’re right that he often falls down in his general positioning when he’s not getting a run and jump at it.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2024, 12:22 PM
Our forward line mix needs to change but I don't think those are the right strings to pull.

We need a more mobile and dynamic forward line, having Darcy and Lobb in the same forward line would be a disaster once the ball hits the ground. For mine it is either Darcy or Lobb not both.

I'd revert back to a two key position forward line - JUH and one other. Look to play Weightman as a permanent forward to play as the hybrid tall when required.

We need to persist with playing Bendendo deep in the VFL to see if he can string enough good games together to play the same role in the senior team.

I think it depends on our method going forward and how we structure it. If all three talls are playing deep and we’re relying on them for defensive pressure that’s not a good result. If one of them is playing between the arch’s, it may help us with intensity in the F50 and clogging up the turnover kick if we’ve got someone more able to help structure up behind the ball at times.

If we’re kicking to a leading player inside 50, then great - Weightman and Marra are perfect for the task. If we’re kicking long to a predictable area, Darcy is our best bet to take a mark.

I absolutely agree with you we need to pull a few strings, what I’m suggesting may be well off the mark, but we need the selections and roles to align with the strategy and aside from the first 10 mins - yesterday those things weren’t hanging together.

Critter
18-03-2024, 12:28 PM
Why don't we stop walking on eggshells. Let's get over overblown sensitivities within the coaching and playing group, imaginary or not, and simply pick our best team. Two simple questions:

Who is the best option on our list to play centre half back? I have no doubt it's Aaron Naughton.
Who is the best option on our list, outside JUH, to kick multiple goals in a game? Pre-season form showed clearly that it's Sam Darcy, not Rory Lobb or Cody Weightman.

So, let's just play the best team. I suggest this is its skeleton:

B: Bramble Jones Whoever
HB: Richards Naughton JJ
C: Whoever Libba Whoever
HF: Whoever JUH West
FF: Whoever Darcy Whoever

R: English Bont Whoever

I/C: Whoever x 4

I believe this to be our best option around which to build an effective team. Not addressing selection issues with Naughton and Darcy is a cop-out. Our list most certainly has potential but we are not getting better. Too many sacred cows building up around selection.

“Whoever” can indeed be just that, whoever. Because, apart from the players named above, no-one played well enough yesterday to warrant a guaranteed spot. Reward skills that matter in selection. Stats can be misleading: the inability to hit a target by hand or foot, lay effective tackles or spoil an opponent, negates much of the kudos attributed when assessing performance purely through a prism of disposals. Just look at Bailey Dale and Adam Treloar. (English falls very much into this category but gets a place in my side because he’s better than any alternative on our list. If you want to include Lobb as insurance should English again get monstered in the ruck, then fine. However, I think Darcy could handle this job also.)

bornadog
18-03-2024, 12:28 PM

The trouble was, unless Naughton to CHB, the cupboard was bare. This was my concern when the team was announced and who were Melbourne going to play. Melbourne new this and put in a 200cm forward.

Cofield is also not the answer, he plays a medium role, not a KPD

Will be interesting who we play next week.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-03-2024, 12:40 PM
I really want Buku to succeed, and he had some good moments again, but a couple of his efforts in allowing Brown to look like Charlie Cameron were awful.

We need to persist with Buku for a few weeks to find out if he has a future or not.

Our forward structure - do we really need 3 talls? Has it ever worked? I get we put ourselves in this position by getting Lobb but it's not working.

Out: Lobb, McNeil, Vandermeer
In: Darcy, Bedendo, Macrae

** Darcy gives us coverage where needed, be it as a KPD, KPF or Ruck. Not ideal to be throwing him around but it's also what's best for the team right now. I'd start him as CHB and play Bedendo as the 'third tall' behind Marra and Naughton.

Weightman - Naughton - Macrae/Treloar/Harmes/Sanders
Bedendo - Marra - West

SquirrelGrip
18-03-2024, 01:16 PM
I like Buku but let's be honest, he's a third tall. Put him on Casboult next week and he'll have five kicked on him. It's a decision between Buku and Coffield for that third tall, and I suspect the MC will have Coffield ahead.

And can anyone tell me what Bailey Williams did yesterday? If we are going to make a statement with experienced players, don't do it with Daniel. Send the message by dropping Bailey Williams or if he plays the same again this week, Bailey Dale. Macrae I accept needed more match practice, but he has to come back.

Out: McNeil, Buku, Williams
In: Macrae, Keath, Bedendo
Sub VDM

Improve or you're out the next week: Dale, VDM, Lobb

Bigdog
18-03-2024, 01:17 PM
Swapping forwards out for mids isn?t the answer:

In:
Macrae
Daniel - play as a half forward
Keath

Out:
Harmes - if suspended
McNeil
Buku

This side still feels slow. Bailey Williams is lucky. Id give Gallagher one more run.

Team is crying out for Arty Jones if he performs.

Mantis
18-03-2024, 01:40 PM
Swapping forwards out for mids isn?t the answer:

In:
Macrae
Daniel - play as a half forward
Keath

Out:
Harmes - if suspended
McNeil
Buku

This side still feels slow. Bailey Williams is lucky. Id give Gallagher one more run.

Team is crying out for Arty Jones if he performs.

So why did you do it?

kruder
18-03-2024, 02:39 PM
The trouble was, unless Naughton to CHB, the cupboard was bare. This was my concern when the team was announced and who were Melbourne going to play. Melbourne new this and put in a 200cm forward.

Cofield is also not the answer, he plays a medium role, not a KPD

Will be interesting who we play next week.

Would you play Naughty back until JOD is back?

Bullies
18-03-2024, 02:42 PM
I really want Buku to succeed, and he had some good moments again, but a couple of his efforts in allowing Brown to look like Charlie Cameron were awful.

We need to persist with Buku for a few weeks to find out if he has a future or not.

Our forward structure - do we really need 3 talls? Has it ever worked? I get we put ourselves in this position by getting Lobb but it's not working.

Out: Lobb, McNeil, Vandermeer
In: Darcy, Bedendo, Macrae

** Darcy gives us coverage where needed, be it as a KPD, KPF or Ruck. Not ideal to be throwing him around but it's also what's best for the team right now. I'd start him as CHB and play Bedendo as the 'third tall' behind Marra and Naughton.

Weightman - Naughton - Macrae/Treloar/Harmes/Sanders
Bedendo - Marra - West Buku needs to learn his trade of a defender in the 2's. Good opponents will take him to the cleaners. Brown looked like Carey on him.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 03:22 PM
Would you play Naughty back until JOD is back?

He hasn't trained as a backman and played the role for over 7 years, so difficult to say. He played one game in the backline last year when we lost players against North, and he was ordinary.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 03:54 PM
Ralph: Why Western Bulldogs fans, players, should feel baffled by Luke Beveridge?s selection decisions

Luke Beveridge has always made his own calls and bucked conventions. While it was the coaching style which led the Bulldogs to a flag, JON RALPH writes it?s also a coaching style which risks alienating players and fans.

The sign of a great leader is the ability to bring those under them along for the ride when they make decisions that buck the trend. Then to execute those challenging decisions with such precision and conviction that the critics quickly melt away.

On both of those scores Luke Beveridge failed the test on the weekend. He picked an unconventional team that ignored popular and decorated players who have achieved great things at the Whitten Oval.

Then those fringe players he backed-in let him down in the most convincing manner.

By the end of a game in which his team gave up the fight as the margin blew out in a ?disconcerting? manner, Caleb Daniel?s instant impact as the sub made Beveridge?s selection even more questionable.

At least by the end of Beveridge?s post-match press conference on Sunday we received a fuller explanation for the first time of Jack Macrae?s management.

According to Beveridge, a stress-related femur concern over summer had added to Macrae?s recent hamstring strain and left him short of a gallop leaning into round 1.

But for the Western Bulldogs? management team, who supposedly did so much to refresh the club over summer, to be presented with Groundhog Day ? it must have been particularly concerning.

Those management types who hired external consultant Peter Jackson might have done well to wander down to the Plough Hotel to ask a few fans about their coach.

They love his enthusiasm; they believe this team is capable of greatness. But the overwhelming consensus is they don?t understand why Beveridge plays favourites with team selection without proper explanation.

Beveridge is on record as saying that his coaching was not the subject of the review.

Yet surely, as part of the summer examination, the point had to be forcefully made that the fans felt left behind too often on the weird and wonderful selections he makes.

So if Beveridge is to leave out a club favourite, the coach better not have those fans guessing about what the hell he is doing and why.

Fans don?t get to dictate selection.

They didn?t get the right to demand Bailey Smith played more midfield time last year.

But by year?s end, what should have been a simple explanation ? he isn?t playing that well, we have better inside-mids ? had the fans still in the dark and wondering why his talent wasn?t being maximised.

Beveridge had every right to back-in a new-look backline trio in Nick Coffield, Buku Khamis and Lachie Bramble on Sunday, even if it meant players felt he was overlooking established talent for his bright new toys.

But the coach had to know how beloved the helmeted Daniel is with his fans.

He is a late draft pick who defied the odds ? and his stature ? to become a cult figure as a loyal Bulldog, who also ignored rival offers to pledge his commitment to the club.

Beveridge?s plan was to run the Demons off their feet, playing the likes of Laitham Vandermeer, James Harmes and Lachie McNeil ahead of Daniel.

But if you live by the sword at selection, you die by the sword.

McNeil played 13 games last year ? often as the sub ? for 2.3 and 80 total possessions.

On Sunday he gifted Ben Brown a goal with an intercepted kick to Christian Petracca; was run down as he dithered at half-forward; and then fumbled horribly on the centre wing in space when the Dogs were 18 points down and still in the game.

Vandermeer had little impact (10 disposals), Harmes had 11 possessions and four turnovers and Rory Lobb had no impact when chosen over Sam Darcy.

As Beveridge admitted post-match, his plans had backfired disastrously.

?With ?CD? (Daniel), in the roles and responsibilities, he plays all of them well,? he said.

?And with the pre-season, some of the guys weren?t at their best today, some of the guys who have been at the top of their games in recent times. Some of them will be frustrated with their performance today.

?I felt today going into the game we might really challenge Melbourne with our run and it was a little bit of a surprise we weren?t able to do that, so we will process that during the week.?

Meanwhile, Daniel got 37 minutes of game time in the midfield and picked up a dozen of his usual tidy, calm possessions releasing teammates into space by hand and foot.

He was exactly the kind of presence the Dogs needed as Beveridge admitted his team had given up six to eight goals through horrific turnovers.

Beveridge could point to a long list of selection risks he has taken that have paid off over the years. He turned Liam Picken from a dour defensive mid into an attacking weapon, threw Tom Boyd into the ruck and won a premiership as a result.

Last season, he threw former cricketer James O?Donnell into the back six out of nowhere and by year?s end he was a revelation.

This weekend, O?Donnell played in the VFL after a recent ankle injury and he was concussed, while Khamis was solid, but suffered a couple of horror late turnovers.

In every team there are players frustrated by selection.

Kevin Sheedy marked his stars hard and threw the magnets around.

The point is to get those decisions right, not placate every player.

One senior coach said last week he was every player?s best friend across summer until 20 players were dirty on him when he picked the round 1 side and left them out.

Melbourne?s Adam Tomlinson had every reason to be filthy he was left out after a strong opening round showing, but replacement Tom McDonald got the job done for Simon Goodwin. So did Ben Brown (two goals), even if eyebrows were raised on Friday when he was recalled against the Dogs.

So what does Beveridge do now? Double down with Lobb, McNeil and Vandermeer?

Harmes? headbutt of former teammate Steven May will likely see him out against the Suns? brilliant midfield.

Ryley Sanders will be retained and should, but against the rugged Gold Coast midfield, it is the perfect time to start Daniel and recall Macrae.

Beating the Suns in Ballarat will silence most of the critics in the short term.

But bringing the fans along with selection and strategy won?t give the game away to rivals who know their upcoming opponent so well.

It will take the focus off his selection policies and put it where it should be ? on his players to perform when the pressure is on.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 03:55 PM
Has Jon Ralph been reading WOOF? Very much sounds like it.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 04:45 PM
Has Jon Ralph been reading WOOF? Very much sounds like it.

I think so.

jeemak
18-03-2024, 05:07 PM
That's a lot of words to suggest Daniel should have been played on reputation and not preseason performance.

He's also ignored that Lobb kicked a goal, and that Darcy would have been mutilated in the ruck even more than Lobb was and that he can't play enough minutes yet.

And the Bailey Smith stuff? What a dickhead.

It just shows how much he is in the gun with the cabal of media shits he ignores.

Pedro Sanchez
18-03-2024, 05:15 PM
What I would do:

Garcia comes in and plays forward. It?s not his best position, but he seems the most ready and seasoned player who can tackle and has agility.

What I think we?ll do:

100% agree with this. I bang on about it all the time, but Vanders and McNeil just dont make enough impact - at least they are consistent at doing that?!?!?

If we send Nauts back it allows us to play Darcy in the side. On that merit alone it should be enough to pull the trigger on that move and make it happen.

Pedro Sanchez
18-03-2024, 05:17 PM

Happy to give Buku more time. The main thing that I noticed was a general lack of intensity in the contest. He just kinda plays way to nice. With his rig I'd love to see him bang in hard.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 05:48 PM
Happy to give Buku more time. The main thing that I noticed was a general lack of intensity in the contest. He just kinda plays way to nice. With his rig I'd love to see him bang in hard.

Jones is great with this.

Bruce was not a great backman, but boy he hit the pack hard and gave his all. Buku needs to do the same. He is still learning the role.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 06:00 PM
Jones is great with this.

Bruce was not a great backman, but boy he hit the pack hard and gave his all. Buku needs to do the same. He is still learning the role.

He was added to the list in what year? 2018? He made his debut in 2021. He turns 24 in six days time. Surely he has learnt some of his role?

bornadog
18-03-2024, 06:05 PM
He was added to the list in what year? 2018? He made his debut in 2021. He turns 24 in six days time. Surely he has learnt some of his role?

Trouble is he has played back, then forward, relief ruck, back to forward and now back

He took up football late after coming out of a refugee camp.

Sedat
18-03-2024, 06:09 PM
On a side issue, but we really to struggle to take the training wheels off our young draftees. Buku as you mentioned should be more than AFL ready and consistent by now. Buss should be commanding a spot in our senior team at some stage this year. Cleary should already be a well-established senior player, as should Bedendo (I know injuries are more of a mitigating factor for him at least). Clarke and Arty should be pushing hard for regular senior selection this year. And English should be monstering every single ruckman in the competition, without exception, after 8 pre-seasons.

It's not quite at Mulligan levels of slow/no development but it's not far off. If players aren't commanding senior AFL games (or at the very least completely dominating at VFL level) by their 3rd year, we need to be more ruthless in cutting. Even a slow bloomer like Sam DeKonning took the game by storm in his 3rd year.

jeemak
18-03-2024, 06:18 PM
English should be monstering people more mature and stronger than he is?

Rucks like Grundy and Gawn don't stop getting stronger year on year until they retire. It will be the same for English. Just look at him and you'll know he's unlikely to ever catch them.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 06:21 PM
On a side issue, but we really to struggle to take the training wheels off our young draftees. Buku as you mentioned should be more than AFL ready and consistent by now. Buss should be commanding a spot in our senior team at some stage this year. Cleary should already be a well-established senior player, as should Bedendo (I know injuries are more of a mitigating factor for him at least). Clarke and Arty should be pushing hard for regular senior selection this year. And English should be monstering every single ruckman in the competition, without exception, after 8 pre-seasons.

It's not quite at Mulligan levels of slow/no development but it's not far off. If players aren't commanding senior AFL games (or at the very least completely dominating at VFL level) by their 3rd year, we need to be more ruthless in cutting. Even a slow bloomer like Sam DeKonning took the game by storm in his 3rd year.

Agree 100%. Something feels off with our player development in recent years.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 06:24 PM

Rucks like Grundy and Gawn don't stop getting stronger year on year until they retire. It will be the same for English. Just look at him and you'll know he's unlikely to ever catch them.

English just isn't that sort of ruckman either. He's a turnover ruckman, and probably the best there is.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 06:25 PM

Define "monstering"

Bullies
18-03-2024, 06:34 PM
He was added to the list in what year? 2018? He made his debut in 2021. He turns 24 in six days time. Surely he has learnt some of his role? Buku is our Majak Daw

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 06:36 PM
Buku is our Majak Daw

How so? Daw was a much bigger player.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 06:37 PM
Agree 100%. Something feels off with our player development in recent years.

Jamarra and Darcy coming along ok.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 06:38 PM
Trouble is he has played back, then forward, relief ruck, back to forward and now back

He took up football late after coming out of a refugee camp.

He is in his sixth year at the club as a full time professional footballer. Fulltime professional. Surely he has learnt some roles. What is he doing every day?

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 06:39 PM
Jamarra and Darcy coming along ok.

I could coach them to greatness. If you have enough talent you will make it regardless.

Where is the next JJ? The next Easton Wood? The next Dale Morris? The next Matthew Boyd? Where are they? Those players that we mould into genuine AAs or even solid contributors to the 22 or in the top 10 in the B&F.

G-Mo77
18-03-2024, 06:42 PM
Harmes out for 1 week. I don't see that as a bad thing either.

josie
18-03-2024, 06:45 PM
He hasn't trained as a backman and played the role for over 7 years, so difficult to say. He played one game in the backline last year when we lost players against North, and he was ordinary.

I love Naughty however I think his kicks under pressure would not be good for our backline.

I think we need to reduce how many times our forwards all jump for same mark spoiling each other, and how the smalls need to act like terriers when the ball hits the ground to keep it in our F50.

I thought our delivery into F50 was a bit better in patches yesterday than last year. Not so much our high, long kicks down the line, which Dees plucked off with glee. Dee?s were excellent at changing angles across ground, finding a spare player and having more patience rather than kicking and hoping like we seem to do a lot.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 06:46 PM
I could coach them to greatness. If you have enough talent you will make it regardless.

Where is the next JJ? The next Easton Wood? The next Dale Morris? The next Matthew Boyd? Where are they? Those players that we mould into genuine AAs or even solid contributors to the 22 in the top 10 in the B&F.

I think we've got the talent. There just is a lack of "team".

josie
18-03-2024, 06:47 PM
Back on topic I?d like to see VDM, McNeill and Williams replaced.

Do not want to see Saunders dropped and if he is dropped and McNeill is retained I?ll be very upset.

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 06:52 PM

I get that he didn't perform but I would have preferred that he was at least available.

Happy Days
18-03-2024, 07:04 PM

Only one? Damn.

kruder
18-03-2024, 07:08 PM
I get that he didn't perform but I would have preferred that he was at least available.

I've watched him enough to notice that he wasn't covering the ground well at all yesterday, Bevo did say he has had some interruptions but yeah was disappointing. I agree prefer to see him play, I'm not giving up on him yet could still be a solid role player.

While we are talking about covering the ground I cant remember a game where our players were coming off completely cooked like Sunday. It was bloody hot in the stands let alone on the field so I do hold out a little hope those conditions first up played into Melbs hands. The game plan and selection on the other hand.... yeah has nothing to do with the sun.

EasternWest
18-03-2024, 07:11 PM
Back on topic I?d like to see VDM, McNeill and Williams replaced.

Do not want to see Saunders dropped and if he is dropped and McNeill is retained I?ll be very upset.

Nathan Saunders is nearly fifty I can't understand why you still want him in the team :).

Mofra
18-03-2024, 07:11 PM

Where is the next JJ? The next Easton Wood? The next Dale Morris? The next Matthew Boyd? Where are they? Those players that we mould into genuine AAs or even solid contributors to the 22 or in the top 10 in the B&F.
We're all pining for a guy we took as a Cat B last year (JOD) to be rushed back. You could hardly get a better example of fringe/hail mary that turns to gold.

Buks played last round and he was a Cat B. Those guys are 50/1 do even play a handful of games.
Coff could well be that dependable hybrid defensive type. Perhaps not Moz level, but Shaggy Hargrave-like in the way we love him and nobody else knows anything about him.

I still think we need our 'leaders' to stand up though. English was beaten, Naughton smashed, Treloar ran one way all day.. There's $3m dollars worth of cap not pulling their weight. Libba had 1 tackle for the game, unheard of.

hujsh
18-03-2024, 07:13 PM

I don't think they're trees. I imagine they eventually peak or at least plateau at some point in their 20s. Surely at a certain point you strike a balance between muscle mass/strength and being light/mobile enough and stick to that. Surely Tim, Grundy and Gawn are all at a point now where they have developed the muscle mass they need and it's more about maintaining what they can while also maintaining their aerobic capacity, agility etc?

That said English will never be the type to monster I don't think. I expect to see him monstered up until he retires (by younger rucks too). More finesse and outrunning seems his go

Will be fascinating to see how he goes against Witts this week.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 07:13 PM
Only one? Damn.

Can the Bulldogs appeal to extend?

Danjul
18-03-2024, 07:51 PM
I think we've got the talent. There just is a lack of "team".
This is the whole problem.

There is no game plan based upon the team. On numerous occasions 30m foot passes missed the target. Melbourne?s foot skills were an order of magnitude better. That is why they had 10 more uncontested marks each quarter. That is why they had easy transitions.

All over the ground all we see is our players trying to get the ball. Once they get it they then have to work out what to do with it, and if any pressure is applied they invariably make the wrong decision. 10 metres to the opposition on the backline. 40 metre bombs to opponents on the forward line.

I saw occasions where Melbourne players ran away from the contest to make the next link.. They had faith in their teammates and it was honoured. They had a success algorithm. Something we lack.

Bullies
18-03-2024, 08:14 PM
How so? Daw was a much bigger player. Both have been around for a long time and everyone is/was waiting for them to deliver and they just can't/couldn't quite take the next step.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 08:56 PM
Both have been around for a long time and everyone is/was waiting for them to deliver and they just can't/couldn't quite take the next step.

Ah yep ok - Daw did kill us one day and I don't think Buku has hit those heights yet. Although fmd, he's been played all over the bloody place.

Ozza
18-03-2024, 10:35 PM
Buku needs to learn his trade of a defender in the 2's. Good opponents will take him to the cleaners. Brown looked like Carey on him.

Its such a shame that we wasted two years of development trying to make him into a forward when we were struggling for defenders, now Buku starts again as a defender.

Hotdog60
18-03-2024, 10:53 PM
Okay here goes,
Out: Williams, Mcneil and Harmes (VDM saved because it looks like too many changes.)
In: Bedendo, Keith and Garcia

Keith goes back, Coffield takes Williams spot, Garcia changes places with McNeil and Weightman moves into Harmes's spot and Bedendo replaces Flea.

Prince Imperial
18-03-2024, 11:23 PM
Having watched both our teams on the weekend and our preseason games, I would do the following:

In: Keath, Macrae, Darcy, Scott, Baker

Out: Khamis, McNeil, VDM, Harmes, Lobb

Daniel into the 22 with either Scott or Baker as sub. Khamis a bit unlucky but it's a bit of toss up between him and Coffield as a medium defender and we desperately need Keath as a tall defender. Harmes is suspended but I would have dropped him anyway.

FrediKanoute
19-03-2024, 02:52 AM
What a dumpster fire our team selection is. the Masterstroke MC of 2016 is but a faded distant memory.

Harmes needs to play, BUT he has to play a role, its simple, the guy is a lockdown player, give him a job, simple. This should be rowell.
VDM and McNeil are both done, honestly they bring 100% of nothing, which is still nothing. They havent learnt anything new, so end this nonsense now.
We need to see if Macrae still has it as an inside mid. Hes had a mixed bag pre season, but the guy has been a superstar for a long period of time, we know he has the skills, surely he gets a good go at HIS prime position. Not some Bevo lets play him as a high Half forward type BS.
Melbourne slaughtered us with their defensive rebound and wing work (as they always do) yet we did nothing to combat it. They waltzed out of D50 like it was a gala ball. This is where Cody (and whoever else is a Small forward) sit on someones head. Did cody or anyone else in our F50 lay a decent tackle?

There were lots wrong with yesterday, but gee the lack of forward pressure was a big big reason that we were beaten. We can blame Khamis and the backline all we want but if there is no pressure through the centre of the ground and none in the forward half there is no way you can stop the entry avalanche.

Bullies
19-03-2024, 08:56 AM
That was dumb - however May got into him a few times and he cracked it.

The fact no one went into bat for him really dissapointed me. He will need to get used to being disappointed if he expects someone to fly the flag and help him as it not something we do unfortunately. Beside Libber your on your own.

Critter
19-03-2024, 10:41 AM
I don't get the peciousness surrounding whether or not to move Aaron Naughton to CHB.

I heard an interesting comment from John Longmire over the weekend, when questioned about moving players forward and back. He said the Sydney players relished the prospect of being switched around when circumstances dictated - they enjoyed the challenge. The inference I took was that, at Sydney, it's whatever best suits the team that matters most. Interesting then how coaches can set culture.

In 2014, Liam Jones left the Bulldogs because he felt his card was marked and he had no future. As we know, he went to Carlton. Unfortunately, things there began looking similarly gloomy for him. But, rather than view players' roles through blinkered eyes, his VFL coach at Carlton suggested a move to the back line. Bingo.

Naughton came to the Dogs as a CHB. He is an elite player and would have no problem in excelling in the role once again. And further, placing him there allows us to bring in Darcy, creating what might well be a more effective forward line structure.

Grantysghost
19-03-2024, 11:21 AM
Yes surely we can use him as a swing man as required.

Rocco Jones
20-03-2024, 12:02 PM
I'd be wary of making mass changes straight up as it can be an absolute killer on confidence/structures etc. But these are the ones I believe have to be made.

Out (let's start here):

Harmes: suspended. Probably makes it 'easier'. I'd have probably still played him, even as a sub, just because he is less likely to be a liability in the wing/HFF.

Vanders: I struggle with him at the best of times. Would be the first one out.

McNeil: I actually believe he is the only one that has shown the ability (at brief times) to play the higher up. speedy HFF. Issue is, I don't think he can cope with the pressure of playing AFL mentally. I'd actually not mind giving him another go, as much as it that could be another 7 clanger game. Issue is I think risking him and carry Gags a bit is too much. Gags just made his debut.

Ins:

Macrae: look it's up to Bevo and the medical team. I am definitely an advocate for using going with players suited to wing/HFF roles. It's an massive gap for us. Macrae might mostly be square pegging our round hole but I think even then, he offers more.

Baker: idk if it's just changing over the deck chairs but I think he offers more than the guys I have out.

Garcia: I'll put this in the 'he will have a crack' category

...and the rest

The Sub: I'd having Daniel starting and Gags as a sub. Give the kid a go at coming on when the pace dies done a bit. A bit more reducing liability as I think our wings/HFFs are a massive collective risk of doing little or making critical errors.

Buku vs Keath: Suns have Ben King, Casboult who relieves in the ruck and Lukosius. I feel we will be carrying Keath whenever Casboult isn't there, I'd rather a more mobile option for Lukosius. I'd select Buku more with a long term view and reducing the amount of changes.

Axe Man
20-03-2024, 12:08 PM
Where is Lukosius playing? Kicked near 40 goals last season so I assumed he would be playing KPF?

Rocco Jones
20-03-2024, 12:20 PM
Where is Lukosius playing? Kicked near 40 goals last season so I assumed he would be playing KPF?

Oh whoops, I stuffed up with him. I think he is someone who we need mobility over height with though.

hujsh
20-03-2024, 12:24 PM
Didn't Scott play well on the weekend? I've have him in over McNeil or Vanders personally. Sounds like his pressure was good and he can rotate through the wing as needed

PR0408
20-03-2024, 01:24 PM
I?m pushing for a Clarke debut.
Was brilliant the first practice match and solid the last two. If he isn?t kicking goals, helps sets them up, willing to block for others and covers the ground well.
I?m thinking there won?t be much change though. Macrae for Harms. I?m ok with that also.

GVGjr
20-03-2024, 01:32 PM
I?m pushing for a Clarke debut.
Was brilliant the first practice match and solid the last two. If he isn?t kicking goals, helps sets them up, willing to block for others and covers the ground well.
I?m thinking there won?t be much change though. Macrae for Harms. I?m ok with that also.

If body language counts for anything I suggest he believes he's a chance. He also seemed to be the focal point a couple of times with one of the drills today.

Happy Days
20-03-2024, 01:45 PM
I?m really worried about their midfield. Miller has an unreal tank, Rowell is a wrecking ball, Flanders is a slightly less destructive wrecking ball and Anderson is the total inside outside package 3 out of every 4 games.

I would be bringing in Macrae without a second thought. We?re going to need all hands on deck.

Mofra
20-03-2024, 02:10 PM
I?m really worried about their midfield. Miller has an unreal tank, Rowell is a wrecking ball, Flanders is a slightly less destructive wrecking ball and Anderson is the total inside outside package 3 out of every 4 games.

I would be bringing in Macrae without a second thought. We?re going to need all hands on deck.
I'm convinced the Suns have the best starting midfield in the competition.

SquirrelGrip
20-03-2024, 02:17 PM
Macrae is a Ballarat specialist. Have to include him.

Mantis
20-03-2024, 02:21 PM

Melbourne do... and it's not even a closely run race.

Mantis
20-03-2024, 02:29 PM
If Bevo has the balls he should be making 6-8 changes this week.

His promise that would be the best prepared Rd 1 team turned out to be a lie based on the poor efforts of the players he chose. He should be turning over the team until he gets a group of players who are going to play like they care, and not on their own terms.

Players in the gun should be McNeil, VDM, Treloar, Williams, Khamis, Gallagher & Libba who either or couldn't execute to the level required or didn't show any desire to defend.

Critter
20-03-2024, 02:46 PM
Oh whoops, I stuffed up with him. I think he is someone who we need mobility over height with though.

How about someone with both, like Naughton.

mighty_west
20-03-2024, 02:50 PM

Potentially 100%, maybe in a few years with a few more years of Hardwick guiding them and you can see that in the first two rounds how bloody exciting they will be, scary.

Rocco Jones
20-03-2024, 02:50 PM
I think Adz needs to find somewhere else to play. I don't mind him getting CBAs but he is almost full time there whilst others have to find different roles.

bornadog
20-03-2024, 03:59 PM
I think Adz needs to find somewhere else to play. I don't mind him getting CBAs but he is almost full time there whilst others have to find different roles.

I think he would make a very good HBF - ala Moyd. He played that role a couple of years ago when we had injuries and he was very good. Finds alot of the ball and can use his pace to attack.

JanLorMill
20-03-2024, 04:14 PM
If Bevo has the balls he should be making 6-8 changes this week.

His promise that would be the best prepared Rd 1 team turned out to be a lie based on the poor efforts of the players he chose. He should be turning over the team until he gets a group of players who are going to play like they care, and not on their own terms.

Players in the gun should be McNeil, VDM, Treloar, Williams, Khamis, Gallagher & Libba who either or couldn't execute to the level required or didn't show any desire to defend.
Knowing Bevo having balls means picking VDM or McNeil or no CHB again.

GVGjr
20-03-2024, 04:19 PM

Same here. Macrae should be an inclusion.

Grantysghost
20-03-2024, 04:25 PM
I've thought more about this and my feel is we won't react in an extreme way this week and I can see them giving this group another week to prove themselves.

Probably only change will be forced.

Harmes out
Garcia / Macrae in.

Rocco Jones
20-03-2024, 04:44 PM
I think he would make a very good HBF - ala Moyd. He played that role a couple of years ago when we had injuries and he was very good. Finds alot of the ball and can use his pace to attack.

Biggest issue is the same as the one with him as an inside mid, he is only there to get the ball and run. He really has an unwillingness/inability to work defensively.

Sedat
20-03-2024, 04:51 PM
Biggest issue is the same as the one with him as an inside mid, he is only there to get the ball and run. He really has an unwillingness/inability to work defensively.
I know Treloar is one of the more blatant offenders, but I'm not seeing amazing defensive workrate when the oppo is in possession from any of our mids in the last couple of seasons.

Defending when the opposition has the ball has to be a non-negotiable for the entire 23 selected every week. It's no longer just specific role-players who do this grunt work - it needs to be everyone from Bont down. And we've largely stunk at it for a while, hence why we are a talented but middling team with conditional efforts quarter to quarter, let alone week to week. And why I hope that we conducted such a thorough review and turned over the assistant coaching and F&C staff in the off-season, in an effort to become a much better turnover and pressure team who is much harder to score against and significantly fitter and stronger to execute this week to week. On that score round 1 was a big swing and a miss, and round 2 simply has to be much better in this area.

lemmon
20-03-2024, 04:58 PM

Was that when JJ went down? Happy to be corrected, but my very vague recollection of that was Treloar having bulk goals kicked on him, and he sounded pretty bemused about the move when he spoke about it with Dunkley on their pod at the time.

I'm a bit worried for Treloar, he's a mid that relies heavily on his running power and capacity, when that starts to go I think the end will come quickly.

bulldogsthru&thru
20-03-2024, 05:00 PM
We had numerous reports from preseason that there was a strong focus on what players should be doing when we don't have possession.

Do we just have the dumbest footballers in the league?

bornadog
20-03-2024, 05:10 PM
I know Treloar is one of the more blatant offenders, but I'm not seeing amazing defensive workrate when the oppo is in possession from any of our mids in the last couple of seasons.

Defending when the opposition has the ball has to be a non-negotiable for the entire 23 selected every week. It's no longer just specific role-players who do this grunt work - it needs to be everyone from Bont down. And we've largely stunk at it for a while, hence why we are a talented but middling team with conditional efforts quarter to quarter, let alone week to week. And why I hope that we conducted such a thorough review and turned over the assistant coaching and F&C staff in the off-season, in an effort to become a much better turnover and pressure team who is much harder to score against and significantly fitter and stronger to execute this week to week. On that score round 1 was a big swing and a miss, and round 2 simply has to be much better in this area.

Top ten tacklers in AFL for Mids - 2023

2023 AFL League Midfielder Tackles Per Game Leaders

Rank
Player
Team
Games
Average

Matt Rowell (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-gold-coast-suns--matt-rowell)
Gold Coast (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-gold-coast-suns)

Rory Laird (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-adelaide-crows--rory-laird)
Adelaide (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-adelaide-crows)

Tom Atkins (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-geelong-cats--tom-atkins)
Geelong (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-geelong-cats)

Marcus Bontempelli (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--marcus-bontempelli)
Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)

James Rowbottom (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-sydney-swans--james-rowbottom)
Sydney (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-sydney-swans)

Jack Steele (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--jack-steele)
St Kilda (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-st-kilda-saints)

Josh Dunkley (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-brisbane-lions--josh-dunkley)
Brisbane (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-brisbane-lions)

Clayton Oliver (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-melbourne-demons--clayton-oliver)
Melbourne (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-melbourne-demons)

Thomas Liberatore (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--thomas-liberatore)
Western Bulldogs (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-western-bulldogs)

Tim Taranto (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-richmond-tigers--tim-taranto)
Richmond (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-richmond-tigers)

bornadog
20-03-2024, 05:13 PM
Was that when JJ went down? Happy to be corrected, but my very vague recollection of that was Treloar having bulk goals kicked on him, and he sounded pretty bemused about the move when he spoke about it with Dunkley on their pod at the time.

I'm a bit worried for Treloar, he's a mid that relies heavily on his running power and capacity, when that starts to go I think the end will come quickly.

Look you are probably right. I was just trying to think about how to use Treloar. He gets alot of the ball but is not effective.

Pleather Sole
20-03-2024, 05:46 PM
Just read this stat on the afl site for round 1. Gruesome. How do we fix this?
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1090545/matt-rowells-record-western-bulldogs-dodgy-defending-and-other-quirky-round-one-stats

MrMahatma
20-03-2024, 07:07 PM
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1090545/matt-rowells-record-western-bulldogs-dodgy-defending-and-other-quirky-round-one-stats

Swapping out the last 2 or 3 picked isn't going to change that.

That said, we should still swap a few out who stank it up.

DOG GOD
20-03-2024, 07:11 PM
That’s work rate. We don’t have it. We are lazy, refuse to run hard both ways, and you can’t blame the backline or FF line for that. I’ve said it since 2023. This is a team not playing for the coach. However you wanna spin it.

kruder
20-03-2024, 07:55 PM
Yeah was noticeable at the ground it felt like sag off the mark city like 2022. I have my fingers crossed for Bevo I really do but Sunday after his preseason rhetoric and player selection I?d suggest he was equal worst of ground with English. This week will tell us more.

Unhealthy Obsession
20-03-2024, 09:42 PM
Is it intentional or just our average genetics that we don't have 1 player on our list that is built like Rowell? All of our mids are built like whippets, yes barring Marcus. Rowell genuinely looks like he could run through brick walls.

PR0408
20-03-2024, 10:34 PM
Is it intentional or just our average genetics that we don't have 1 player on our list that is built like Rowell? All of our mids are built like whippets, yes barring Marcus. Rowell genuinely looks like he could run through brick walls.
Libba pretty much the same type of player.

muzzyahoy
21-03-2024, 07:54 AM
Agree with this. Looked like boys playing against men on the weekend. Also, can't have guys ranked 25-35 at your club playing in your 1's. Doomed from the start.

Bullies
21-03-2024, 08:59 AM
That?s work rate. We don?t have it. We are lazy, refuse to run hard both ways, and you can?t blame the backline or FF line for that. I?ve said it since 2023. This is a team not playing for the coach. However you wanna spin it. Agree with this. Treloar to me looks like he is playing because it is a good way to make a bit of coin. He goes when he wants to and has no accountability. I watched him on the weekend and some of his efforts or lack of efforts were ordinary. I know it wasn't his choice to come to us and his best mate is gone but if you don't want to be there then leave.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 10:01 AM
Agree with this. Treloar to me looks like he is playing because it is a good way to make a bit of coin. He goes when he wants to and has no accountability. I watched him on the weekend and some of his efforts or lack of efforts were ordinary. I know it wasn't his choice to come to us and his best mate is gone but if you don't want to be there then leave.

Do you think he has always played like that, or since Dunks left?

GVGjr
21-03-2024, 06:10 PM
Does anyone think there might be a surprise selection tonight or will we just stick with minimal changes and go for a player like Macrae?

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 06:22 PM
Does anyone think there might be a surprise selection tonight or will we just stick with minimal changes and go for a player like Macrae?

No knee jerks, just the one forced change.

kruder
21-03-2024, 06:46 PM

Do you think Keath is fit enough to play? I cant see us going in with both Buku and Coffield again. If not then Naughty has to go back while we could go smaller forward or bring in Darcy.

Knowing Bevo, Scott will be a consideration with Daniel and Macrae a lock I would have thought.

I reckon there will be 2-3 changes.

kruder
21-03-2024, 06:53 PM
BF has Gags out with a sore knee if that's the case 3-4.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 07:07 PM
Wow Macrae not in the 26

my plums
21-03-2024, 07:11 PM
Wow Macrae not in the 26

unbelievable if true

chef
21-03-2024, 07:17 PM
Lol. How can Macrae not get in our team with how shit we were.

Happy Days
21-03-2024, 07:19 PM
We’re gonna lose lmao

GVGjr
21-03-2024, 07:21 PM
IN
Oskar Baker, Sam Darcy, Taylor Duryea, Caleb Poulter
Out
James Harmes (Suspension)

chef
21-03-2024, 07:23 PM
IN
Oskar Baker, Sam Darcy, Taylor Duryea, Caleb Poulter
Out
James Harmes (Suspension)

Gee those ins are nothing to get excited about.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 07:24 PM
Darcy

whythelongface
21-03-2024, 07:24 PM

Darcy is someone to get excited about. Hopefully he plays.

Not sure why Macrae isn?t in the squad

Happy Days
21-03-2024, 07:28 PM
We’ve picked 6 players that at least one club has seen fit to delist before three time All Australian Jack Macrae.

What is going on?

chef
21-03-2024, 07:30 PM
https://twitter.com/SENSportsday/status/1770707991672897559?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1770707991672897559%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Sportsday on X: "BREAKING: "I can tell you that Jack Macrae WON'T play again for the Bulldogs. He isn't even in the 26 man squad. He is fully fit. No James Harmes, but still no room for Jack Macrae." - @JoshGabelich with a huge bomb out of the Dogs!" / X (twitter.com) (https://twitter.com/SENSportsday/status/1770707991672897559?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1770707991672897559%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=)

Bullies
We’ve picked 6 players that at least one club has seen fit to delist before three time All Australian Jack Macrae.

What is going on? Boy i hope he leaves at the end of the year and goes to a club in the Premiership window and dominates.

The Bulldogs Bite

What is going on?

Selection bingo - long may it continue!

If McNeil is selected, I'm making other plans.

chef
21-03-2024, 07:33 PM
Darcy

We are already too tall up forward, unless Lobb is binned and Naughton sent back i dont see the point

kruder
21-03-2024, 07:35 PM
Vanders starting lol

Hotdog60
21-03-2024, 07:36 PM
Here's my stab at the bench with a toss of the coin between Baker and Poulter.

Oskar Baker, Bailey Dale, Caleb Daniel, Sam Darcy, Caleb Poulter

Prince Imperial
21-03-2024, 07:38 PM
The GC tall forwards are going to rip us to pieces. Keath should have been selected - he played very well last week in the VFL.

VDM's continual selection is bewildering in the extreme.

Happy Days
21-03-2024, 07:41 PM
I actually don’t understand the Macrae exclusion. It’s so bizarre and we probably deserve an explanation.

bulldogtragic
Not sure I will watch this. I’m not buying what they’re selling.

bulldogsthru&thru
https://twitter.com/SENSportsday/status/1770707991672897559?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1770707991672897559%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Sportsday on X: "BREAKING: "I can tell you that Jack Macrae WON'T play again for the Bulldogs. He isn't even in the 26 man squad. He is fully fit. No James Harmes, but still no room for Jack Macrae." - @JoshGabelich with a huge bomb out of the Dogs!" / X (twitter.com) (https://twitter.com/SENSportsday/status/1770707991672897559?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembe d%7Ctwterm%5E1770707991672897559%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=)

I just don't believe that at all....

Hotdog60
21-03-2024, 07:42 PM
I actually don’t understand the Macrae exclusion. It’s so bizarre and we probably deserve an explanation.

Could it be he's just as loose in the middle as the rest of the crew.

whythelongface
21-03-2024, 07:45 PM

Agree. It is just a headline for headlines sake.

whythelongface
21-03-2024, 07:48 PM
The GC tall forwards are going to rip us to pieces. Keath should have been selected - he played very well last week in the VFL.

VDM's continual selection is bewildering in the extreme.

I am not getting all this love for Keath. Last year most didn?t wanted him selected as he was too slow and past. Now suddenly he is the solution to our defensive problems. Would rather continue to develop Khamis and see how he goes over a period of time. It will be up the field where this game is won or lost.

jazzadogs
21-03-2024, 07:50 PM

I don't think he's saying EVER AGAIN.

It's poorly written but he's really saying that for the second week in a row, Macrae is not picked. Which is true.

kruder
I actually don?t understand the Macrae exclusion. It?s so bizarre and we probably deserve an explanation.

My guess...

They see him behind Bont,Libba,Treloar and Sanders and they don't wanna play a slow mid out of position forward as we need speed to support our tall forward set up.

Worth noting that Mcteal,Cody and Vanders had 2 tackles between them on Sunday.

jazzadogs
Could it be he's just as loose in the middle as the rest of the crew.

So why is he the one that doesn't get picked? You can't say it's based on standards when the current team aren't meeting the standards either...

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 07:51 PM
Agree. It is just a headline for headlines sake.

It's sensationalist journalism

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 07:52 PM
So why is he the one that doesn't get picked? You can't say it's based on standards when the current team aren't meeting the standards either...

It's interesting that he lost a leadership role and now can't get a gig. Has he sort of cracked the sads??

jazzadogs
21-03-2024, 07:53 PM
It's interesting that he lost a leadership role and now can't get a gig. Has he sort of cracked the sads??

He had cracked the sads last year, based on his on-field body language. My hope was that he would knuckle down over pre season, but starting to think this must not have happened.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 07:54 PM
Posters spent all of last year saying Macrae is not good enough to be in the middle anymore, and he can't handle other roles, plus Keath was said to be cooked, now it is dooms day that they aren't playing

Prince Imperial
21-03-2024, 07:54 PM
I am not getting all this love for Keath. Last year most didn?t wanted him selected as he was too slow and past. Now suddenly he is the solution to our defensive problems. Would rather continue to develop Khamis and see how he goes over a period of time. It will be up the field where this game is won or lost.

It's not love for Keath. Khamis simply isn't tall enough and is not a key defender.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-03-2024, 07:55 PM
I don't think he's saying EVER AGAIN.

It's poorly written but he's really saying that for the second week in a row, Macrae is not picked. Which is true.

I think that's what he's not saying but what he actually means.

EasternWest
21-03-2024, 08:01 PM
I actually don?t understand the Macrae exclusion. It?s so bizarre and we probably deserve an explanation.

No no, we just have to have faith and ask no questions.

Unhealthy Obsession
21-03-2024, 08:01 PM
The original post has been deleted and it has been reposted

"I can tell you that Jack Macrae WON'T play again this weekend for the Bulldogs. He isn't even in the 26 man squad. He is fully fit. No James Harmes, but still no room for Jack Macrae." @JoshGabelich

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 08:02 PM
Lol. How can Macrae not get in our team with how shit we were.
Because we are the fittest, hardest, strongest, most not playing AA player team ever.

It is a complete joke.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 08:06 PM
Posters spent all of last year saying Macrae is not good enough to be in the middle anymore, and he can't handle other roles, plus Keath was said to be cooked, now it is dooms day that they aren't playing
Sanders who was buggered at 3/4 time is preferred to a 3 x AA. It's a little crazy bad. Fittest, strongest, hardest, blah blah est...

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Keath is coooooooked.

Not sure how many times I expressed my discontent with our defence, and I'm not very bright.

Go_Dogs
21-03-2024, 08:09 PM
Pretty shocked Jacko still not in the frame. Even at 85% he’d give us more than some others - but if he’s not playing midfield, maybe not and if he’s in the midfield just another turnstile?

Hope Darcy plays.

whythelongface
21-03-2024, 08:11 PM
It's not love for Keath. Khamis simply isn't tall enough and is not a key defender.

But he is quicker and can intercept and use his jump to spoil. The issue with Buku is his one on one bodywork- that is the only area where Keath is actually better than Buku.

. Would rather persist with Buku until JOD comes back

whythelongface
21-03-2024, 08:13 PM
Keath is coooooooked.

Not sure how many times I expressed my discontent with our defence, and I'm not very bright.

GG you are the smartest person I know and I don?t even know you :)

Happy Days
21-03-2024, 08:17 PM
Sanders who was buggered at 3/4 time is preferred to a 3 x AA. It's a little crazy bad. Fittest, strongest, hardest, blah blah est...

I actually reckon Sanders got dragged after potting everyone for not leading and then kicking it 15m and 1cm to the other team.

SquirrelGrip
21-03-2024, 08:19 PM
I won’t cope very well if Caleb isn’t in the 22. He has to start.

I’m less concerned that Dale and Lobb could be left out.

G-Mo77
21-03-2024, 08:23 PM
Oh for gods sake. This is the exact same team they rolled out last week with a few deck chairs moved around. Hopefully Daniel gets dropped, along with Dale. We need more guys who can't play in this team.

jeemak
21-03-2024, 08:24 PM
I really wanted Jack to come in and am disappointed with his exclusion, though not really surprised for a couple of reasons. Firstly, Bevo didn't seem all that confident that he was prepared well enough to come in, secondly, everyone was terrible last week and it isn't unusual for MCs to give an opportunity for players to atone.

Khamis isn't up to it, but see point two above. I'd have gone with Keath who I think is better than people give him credit for.

MC and Bevo in particular are leading with the chin on this one. Admire their apricots but think it's a foolish strategy.

GVGjr
21-03-2024, 08:27 PM
The original post has been deleted and it has been reposted

"I can tell you that Jack Macrae WON'T play again this weekend for the Bulldogs. He isn't even in the 26 man squad. He is fully fit. No James Harmes, but still no room for Jack Macrae." @JoshGabelich

It's an interesting scenario but I'm not that surprised that Jack wasn't included this week because if he isn't going to be at least a regular part of the midfield rotations then can we really play him?
Harmes did just 4 CBA's against Melbourne.

jeemak
21-03-2024, 08:31 PM
It's an interesting scenario but I'm not that surprised that Jack wasn't included this week because if he isn't going to be at least a regular part of the midfield rotations then can we really play him?

The thing that annoys me is that I think the CBA strategy is completely rubbish and we're too predictable in there.

hujsh
21-03-2024, 08:32 PM
Any chance Darcy is actually going to play in defence?

bornadog
21-03-2024, 08:37 PM

No point putting in someone that is tall, because they are tall?

GVGjr
21-03-2024, 08:37 PM

Possibly but he hasn't trained there in any real sense for this preseason.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2024, 08:39 PM
The thing that annoys me is that I think the CBA strategy is completely rubbish and we're too predictable in there.

This.

We've had major issues with this brigade in the last 2 and a bit years, so how do we combat it? By going in with the exact same setup.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2024, 08:40 PM

I actually agree with this... To a degree.

Keath was done 1.5 years ago so that he's not playing doesn't concern me. I'd rather throw Khamis to the wolves.

But then it begs the question, why is Keath even on our list if he can't get a game when our other key defenders are all injured?

bornadog
21-03-2024, 08:41 PM
This.

We've had major issues with this brigade in the last 2 and a bit years, so how do we combat it? By going in with the exact same setup.

what would you do?

chef
21-03-2024, 08:42 PM

Why do we not rotate our mids anymore.

2 seasons ago we could fit in Dunkley, Hunter, Macrae and Smith.

chef
21-03-2024, 08:43 PM

Did he play defence in the preseason?

The Bulldogs Bite
21-03-2024, 08:45 PM
what would you do?

We need rotation. I could be wrong but I believe our rotations in 2021 were significantly higher.

Short term I'd be moving Treloar to a wing / outside role. His refusal to move in a defensive capacity is truly awful, so I'd prefer he play a wing/HF role.

Harmes to play a defensive minded role and get genuine minutes as a stoppage mid. He can pinch hit forward, but that's it.

Macrae to be set a challenge of big mid minutes.

Swing some different types in for bursts - Naughton and Weightman specifically.

Next year, if he stays, Smith has to become one of our main mids.

hujsh
21-03-2024, 08:48 PM
Did he play defence in the preseason?

They've talked about how he might play anywhere this year. If he's going to play defence, when we're up against 2-3 legit talls while Gardner and JOD are unavailable and Keath... is old, would be the time.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 08:49 PM
We need rotation. I could be wrong but I believe our rotations in 2021 were significantly higher.

Short term I'd be moving Treloar to a wing / outside role. His refusal to move in a defensive capacity is truly awful, so I'd prefer he play a wing/HF role.

Harmes to play a defensive minded role and get genuine minutes as a stoppage mid. He can pinch hit forward, but that's it.

Macrae to be set a challenge of big mid minutes.

Swing some different types in for bursts - Naughton and Weightman specifically.

Next year, if he stays, Smith has to become one of our main mids.

Yea, I can agree with that.

Good to see Gallagher given some time last week, and maybe Weightman should have also been in there.

Treloar really needs to do more.

Prince Imperial
21-03-2024, 08:50 PM

Of course not but I observed Keath play well last weekend and he looked fit and mobile. Yes, it was at VFL level but I believe he would better handle the GC talls than Coffield and Khamis.

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 08:51 PM
Treloar really needs to do more.

After one game, man youre a hard man bad.

Eastdog
21-03-2024, 09:01 PM
Not sure why Macrae isn’t in the team. You would think we would need that experience right now in the midfield. Darcy is something to be excited with. Hope he goes well.

jeemak
21-03-2024, 09:10 PM

Only a very stable genius would suggest something like that!

Uninformed
21-03-2024, 09:26 PM
Not surprised with minimal changes. Round one team selected on a sound basis of months of pre season training and constant assessment. They performed poorly first up, but it is just one game.

Bevo seemed to think the performance was due to things we were supposed to be doing not being done, and that was what needed fixing. He seemed to think it was an easy fix. Lets see how it goes.

Hope Darcy gets a run.

EasternWest
21-03-2024, 09:46 PM
I actually reckon Sanders got dragged after potting everyone for not leading and then kicking it 15m and 1cm to the other team.

No tits were hit

Rocket Science
21-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Fancy earning three All-Australian blazers then being left out of a squad that includes Oskar Baker.

If we conflate this with him being dumped from the leadership group it's going to be weird AF seeing Jacko in different colours next year.

bornadog
21-03-2024, 09:51 PM
After one game, man youre a hard man bad.

No after the last season and one game

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 09:54 PM
No after the last season and one game
Ha. Touche :)

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 10:13 PM
GG you are the smartest person I know and I don?t even know you :)
Now im questioning your intelligence! Ha.

I'm taking a deep breath, and a leaf out of yhf's book and saying "serenity now". That works right?

Grantysghost
21-03-2024, 10:17 PM
Fancy earning three All-Australian blazers then being left out of a squad that includes Oskar Baker.

If we conflate this with him being dumped from the leadership group it's going to be weird AF seeing Jacko in different colours next year.
When Dunkley left it's almost like we out smarted ourselves and decided to go with a rusted on cba group of Bont, Libba, Treloar, English. Our high rotations were a strength i thought.

You would think with no Dunkley, Macrae would be more important but it went the other way.

Did this happen to coincide with Lade's arrival?

jeemak
21-03-2024, 10:19 PM
When Dunkley left it's almost like we out smarted ourselves and decided to go with a rusted on cba group of Bont, Libba, Treloar, English. Our high rotations were a strength i thought.

You would think with no Dunkley, Macrae would be more important but it went the other way.

Did this happen to coincide with Lade's arrival?

Yes, it did.

A quick question about Jacko from a fanboi, did any of the training reports suggest he came back looking like he was in ripping nick and hungry? Was he training the house down?

What about Daniel?

doggies ftw
21-03-2024, 11:07 PM
Bevo is a ****ing idiot, cant stand this ****. Let?s be honest the reason he?s not playing Macrae is because he wants to outsmart the media and prove a point. He?s genuinely cooked

I?m done until hes sacked, hopefully shouldn?t be long. That team selection is absolutely inexcusable

angelopetraglia
21-03-2024, 11:15 PM
So in season 2021. We made the Grand Final. A few weeks prior to the season ending we were cemented in the top four and challenging for top spot.

Jack Macrae Season #2021. Stats for entire AFL.

Most possesions
Most handballs
Third most clearances (Top Libba)
Third most free kicks for
Fourth highest contested possesions (Libba five)
Most uncontested possesions
Second most goal assists (Bont fourth)

Why did he lose his spot in the midfield?

GVGjr
21-03-2024, 11:20 PM
Bevo is a ****ing idiot, cant stand this ****. Let?s be honest the reason he?s not playing Macrae is because he wants to outsmart the media and prove a point. He?s genuinely cooked

I?m done until hes sacked, hopefully shouldn?t be long. That team selection is absolutely inexcusable

That's one way of looking at it but I believe we've seen enough last year to accept that Macrae is either a full time midfielder with a heap of CBA's or he is VFL player. He wasn't able to prove last season that he was capable of filling other roles for us.
With Harmes missing but only contributing 4 CBA's last week was Macrae really the right player to replace him this week?
For some reason, perhaps it's Lade, we appear to be set with how we want to run the midfield rotations and Macrae will come into stronger contention if that approach changes.

I get the angst with the way the club and players perform but is it really all on Bevo?

jeemak
21-03-2024, 11:29 PM

Fence sitter!

jeemak
21-03-2024, 11:31 PM
So in season 2021. We made the Grand Final. A few weeks prior to the season ending we were cemented in the top four and challenging for top spot.

Jack Macrae Season #2021. Stats for entire AFL.

Most possesions
Most handballs
Third most clearances (Top Libba)
Third most free kicks for
Fourth highest contested possesions (Libba five)
Most uncontested possesions
Second most goal assists (Bont fourth)

Why did he lose his spot in the midfield?

Matthias Cormann sums up how his gut looked when he came back for preseason in 2022:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiStwBWQKL8

bornadog
21-03-2024, 11:50 PM
Bevo press conference tomorrow 8:30 - we will hear what he says about Macrae.

westbulldog
21-03-2024, 11:56 PM
The selection idiocy continues, Macrae is not good enough whilst Vandermeer, McNeill and Baker's names appear in the team list for Sunday.

jeemak
21-03-2024, 11:57 PM
Bevo press conference tomorrow 8:30 - we will hear what he says about Macrae.

I'm sure that'll make people happy, whatever is said.

Like every press conference he'll probably just answer the question directly and tell everyone the exact reasoning for the continued omission and people won't believe it.

westbulldog
22-03-2024, 12:08 AM
And we can't wait to hear his exact reasoning for the continued selection of McNeill and Vandermeer.

jeemak
22-03-2024, 12:17 AM
And we can't wait to hear his exact reasoning for the continued selection of McNeill and Vandermeer.

You may not like it, but don't be confused when the reason is given to you plainly.

The amount of "I just don't understand things" would be a lot less if people just listened to his pressers from time to time.

westbulldog
22-03-2024, 12:29 AM
No, I don't like these selections and neither am I confused but tyvm for your interest. We shall see if these selections succeed next Sunday or will they again top the clangers list...

whythelongface
22-03-2024, 12:41 AM

I get the selection frustration but is there any point in comparing players that play different roles to Jack. Both VDM and McNeill do and they are more versatile. Rightly or wrongly, Bevo seems to want players that can play multiple roles. Unfortunately Jacko can?t and this is his weakness.

I would love to see him back in the team as a mid but sense that this may not happen in the short term. Macrae is a professional- he will get through this period and work his way back in the team.

Pleather Sole
22-03-2024, 12:43 AM
That?s work rate. We don?t have it. We are lazy, refuse to run hard both ways, and you can?t blame the backline or FF line for that. I?ve said it since 2023. This is a team not playing for the coach. However you wanna spin it.

Agreed. We saw that plenty last year especially vs West Coast. The changes and vibe and energy was heartening pre-season but thats really just the squad playing against itself, no real opposition. On the big stage bar a few their hearts weren't in it. We wouldn't even beat Collingwood if we played them next week. :o

FrediKanoute
22-03-2024, 01:21 AM
We will get smashed this week again. Never mind no Macrae, but do we really think the defensive pairing of Jones and Buku can cope with the Suns forward set up? 0-2 my prediction.

Hotdog60
22-03-2024, 07:43 AM
Would Bevo select Darcy to take on Ben king?

Go_Dogs
22-03-2024, 07:45 AM

Interesting thought. It would be a reasonable match up, King a bit too strong at this stage I’d say.

Bullies
22-03-2024, 08:04 AM
I get the selection frustration but is there any point in comparing players that play different roles to Jack. Both VDM and McNeill do and they are more versatile. Rightly or wrongly, Bevo seems to want players that can play multiple roles. Unfortunately Jacko can?t and this is his weakness.

I would love to see him back in the team as a mid but sense that this may not happen in the short term. Macrae is a professional- he will get through this period and work his way back in the team. They certainly are different players. Macrae is a ball magent the other are 2 are not. Put Macrae in a position where he plays his best at that is on the ball. Rowell is not overly quick either but like Macrae is an accumulator and sets up the team. I'm not sure on the versatility of VDM and MacNeill where ever you play them the result is the same. I don't get week in week out what they see in these guys. I've seen enough to know they offer jack.

jazzadogs
22-03-2024, 08:41 AM

Surely not. King would kick at least 5. Positioning and strength on a different level.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:39 AM
Bevo

Sam Darcy will play this week. Ruck/forward. But also as a cover for defence if we need him.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:45 AM
Bevo

Paraphrase.

Macrae has to play a full game. Jack understands. We are in a position of evolution. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and think you are going to get a different result. Sanders and Gaggs put selection pressure on. Some of older players have been out of the team. Macrae and CD as sub. They need to come up to the new standards that have been sent. Jack will play a lot of senior football this year.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:45 AM
Bevo

Naughton was a forward as a junior. Then went back late in his junior career. He has also been our most prolific forward. He had a knock early last week that hurt him. He will train today and prepare himself well. It is unlikely he will go back.

Grantysghost
22-03-2024, 09:47 AM
Having played 0 time in defence in pre season?

I believe he would :cool:

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:48 AM
Having played 0 time in defence in pre season?

I believe he would :cool:

In presser. It sounds like Darcy was break glass in case of emergency to go back.

bornadog
Bevo

Paraphrase.

Macrae has to play a full game. Jack understands. We are in a position of evolution. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and think you are going to get a different result. Sanders and Gaggs put selection pressure on. Some of older players have been out of the team. Macrae and CD as sub. They need to come up to the new standards that have been set. Jack will play a lot of senior football this year.

Finally we are thinking differently, as many posters have been calling for, yet supporters are carrying on like the world is going to end because Macrae not playing

Grantysghost
Bevo

Sam Darcy will play this week. Ruck/forward. But also as a cover for defence if we need him.
So Lobb's out?

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:50 AM
Finally we are thinking differently, as many posters have been calling for, yet supporters are carrying on like the world is going to end because Macrae not playing

Yes. That is very clear. So it should be. He did reference that we lost an elimination final in 2022 and missed the finals last year. So something has to change.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:52 AM
Bevo

Buku is an undersized key defender. Both clubs look undersized at the back end. We have JOD and Gards injured. We need the pressure factor around the football for our defence to function. He had some good moments last week, but he has a lot more growth in him.

Grantysghost
22-03-2024, 09:52 AM

If the standards are being knackered with 60 percent game time then i reckon Jacko has it covered.

Wtf is he talking about!

It's that Jack doesn't have an inside spot isn't it?

I'm ok with the message, change is good... His example is a little odd though.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:54 AM
If the standards are being knackered with 60 percent game time then i reckon Jacko has it covered.

Wtf is he talking about!

It's that Jack doesn't have an inside spot isn't it?

I'm ok with the message, change is good... His example is a little odd though.

Reading inbetween the lines. I think there was pressure on Jack's spot going into the preseason. Jack being injured and undercooked is now a reason they are using to help justify the selection. The reason is his running power, so when that is compromised due to injury, it is going to be twice as hard for Jack to force his way in. He did say that Jack hast to play a full game in the VFL to come into consideration.

The Underdog
22-03-2024, 09:55 AM
Bevo

Buku is an undersized key defender. Both clubs look undersized at the back end. We have JOD and Gards injured. We need the pressure factor around the football for our defence to function. He had some good moments last week, but he has a lot more growth in him.

One of them asked if that "squeezes Rory". Bevo said it wasn't clear yet, see how he gets through today, don't want him out, but can't fit all the talls in or something has to give with the small/mediums, so can't say at this point.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 09:56 AM
One of them asked if that "squeezes Rory". Bevo said it wasn't clear yet, see how he gets through today, don't want him out, but can't fit all the talls in or something has to give with the small/mediums, so can't say at this point.

OK. Sorry. I missed that point. Probably too busy typing.

Grantysghost
22-03-2024, 09:57 AM
Reading inbetween the lines. I think there was pressure on Jack's spot going into the preseason. Jack being injured and undercooked is now a reason they are using to help justify the selection. The reason is his running power, so when that is compromised due to injury, it is going to be twice as hard for Jack to force his way in. He did say that Jack hast to play a full game in the VFL to come into consideration.
Strange, i watched him play one two weeks ago xD

Grantysghost
22-03-2024, 09:58 AM
Lobb out. After one game crikey. You have to reward Darcy's form so I'm ok with it.

angelopetraglia
22-03-2024, 10:01 AM
Lobb out. After one game crikey. You have to reward Darcy's form so I'm ok with it.

Probably think they can stretch GCs undersized defence. Darcy > Lobb as a tall forward.