Port Adelaide vs West Coast Eagles at Adelaide Oval at 4.00pm
Fremantle vs Brisbane Lions at Optus Stadium at 6.50pm

bornadog
12-03-2024, 11:21 PM
Carlton by 50 points

The Adelaide Connection
12-03-2024, 11:40 PM
It's gross that Carlton will be 2-0.

I think the biggest ingredient to them being a real contender is dealing with the culture of 20 years of failure. A good start helps counter that.

macca
13-03-2024, 10:50 AM
It's gross that Carlton will be 2-0.

I think the biggest ingredient to them being a real contender is dealing with the culture of 20 years of failure. A good start helps counter that.

Nah it be good for them, get their hopes up . Media already talking about GF hopeful. Pumping up their supporters hopes.

Its a long long season... Anything can happen.

Just waiting for them to lose 4 in a row after round 12.

Eastdog
14-03-2024, 01:16 PM
Tipped Carlton to win tonight by 17 points but wouldn't surprise me if the Tigers win. They have some big ins.

Tigers were much better in the 3rd quarter against the Suns and the Blues only came good in the 3rd quarter to get themselves back after that 1st half they had.

Eastdog
14-03-2024, 01:17 PM
Nah it be good for them, get their hopes up . Media already talking about GF hopeful. Pumping up their supporters hopes.

Its a long long season... Anything can happen.

Just waiting for them to lose 4 in a row after round 12.

Snapper a Blues supporter who has called in before on 3AW will look forward to ringing in after that happens for great entertainment :D

jeemak
14-03-2024, 02:06 PM
I'm so looking forward to the traditional start of the season tonight.

It's also great that after tomorrow night's game four teams will have been seen by their fans twice this year, while fans of 10 of the remaining 14 teams won't have seen their team play at all.

#AFEL.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 02:17 PM
I'm so looking forward to the traditional start of the season tonight.

It's also great that after tomorrow night's game four teams will have been seen by their fans twice this year, while fans of 10 of the remaining 14 teams won't have seen their team play at all.

#AFEL.

and they are all Premiership favourites

bornadog
14-03-2024, 08:53 PM
One for Happy Days, Balta great goal

jeemak
14-03-2024, 09:01 PM
One for Happy Days, Balta great goal

You wouldn't have known from the coverage on the night, though in 2020 he was the only Richmond player playing in the grand final who hadn't won a premiership.

Testekill
14-03-2024, 09:38 PM
That's an ACL for Gibcus.

GVGjr
14-03-2024, 09:40 PM

It looked bad, I hate seeing those injuries

Go_Dogs
14-03-2024, 09:47 PM
Tiges better than I’d thought tonight.

Good kicking at goal sure wins games.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 09:53 PM
It looked bad, I hate seeing those injuries

Same - one year out after all that preparation and training

Grantysghost
14-03-2024, 10:20 PM
Bad hamstring i think. He apparently had surgery on it, looks like it gave way.

Edit : Ouch does look like ACL.

That's 3 in 6 games?

bornadog
14-03-2024, 10:34 PM
Hoping Richmond win - that is how much I hate Carlton

merantau
14-03-2024, 10:46 PM
Hoping Richmond win - that is how much I hate Carlton

Same here. John Elliott - never forget. Lots of others too.

bornadog
14-03-2024, 11:02 PM
Curnow disgusting individual. Bleeding, but just wipes blood on his jumper and stays on.

hujsh
14-03-2024, 11:13 PM
Curnow disgusting individual. Bleeding, but just wipes blood on his jumper and stays on.

Lemme guess, the commentators praised his toughness?

Bulldog Joe
14-03-2024, 11:23 PM
Good result for my tipping, but Carlton hardly convincing.

angelopetraglia
14-03-2024, 11:30 PM
Swamp

CARL last 6 wins
+4 - R22 v MELB
+4 - R23 v GCS
+6 - EF v SYD
+2 - SF v MELB
+1 - R00 v BRIS
+5 - R01 v RICH

The first V/@AFL side to have a run of 6 wins all decided by 6 points or fewer
Prev record: 5 by HAW 1933-35

Dry Rot
14-03-2024, 11:40 PM
Didn't see the game.

Were the Tigers surprisingly good, or Carlton mediocre? Or a bit of both?

bornadog
14-03-2024, 11:42 PM
Good result for my tipping, but Carlton hardly convincing.

So many frees to Carlton. The 50 to DeKoning was not there and they goaled at a Crucial time. Yes, I picked Carlton in tipping, but Richmond really gave them a run for their money

whythelongface
14-03-2024, 11:45 PM
Didn't see the game.

Were the Tigers surprisingly good, or Carlton mediocre? Or a bit of both?

Tigers were good. There were down 3 for the 2nd half and hung in there. Carlton weren?t mediocre but just couldn?t put them away. Not convinced by Carlton but they have an ability to win close games which is a top trait. For this reason plus the Curnow factor they will be thereabouts

jeemak
14-03-2024, 11:50 PM
It's not 1991 and everyone's scared of AIDS a la Magic Johnson. I get it's not a good look but I wouldn't be calling Curnow a disgusting individual over it. Our players do it all the time, all players do.

Carlton winning six games under a goal and everyone pretending they're amazing just says to me the competition is unbelievably close and everyone is vulnerable. A bit like Collingwood who lost to Hawthorn within a few weeks before we did last year, while we lost plenty under two goals.

Richmond were gutsy tonight, but, if you're going to lose a few and still be running at the end of the game it's in the first few rounds. Carlton should have put them away a bit earlier.

MrMahatma
15-03-2024, 12:30 AM
Wish we were 2:0

jeemak
15-03-2024, 12:35 AM
Wish we were 2:0

I wish we were ****ing something. Disgraceful the leg up some teams are getting in exposure to kick off the season.

Hotdog60
15-03-2024, 07:43 AM

Its the mistake his opponent for not making sure the umpire sees it. :)

bornadog
15-03-2024, 09:55 AM
It's not 1991 and everyone's scared of AIDS a la Magic Johnson. I get it's not a good look but I wouldn't be calling Curnow a disgusting individual over it. Our players do it all the time, all players do.

Would you like someone else's blood all over you.

ledge
15-03-2024, 10:32 AM
So I have a Carlton mate who says the umpiring was incredibly bias to the tigers and I know tigers fans who say the opposite . Which team did they actually favour ? The free kicks were 24-17 blues way but we all know it’s not necessarily how many you get but where you get them and how many were missed or given that were wrong.

ledge
15-03-2024, 10:35 AM
Would you like someone else's blood all over you.

Everyone does it, it’s just how it is.
I am not sure how much you watch footy but I would say it happens most games.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Everyone does it, it’s just how it is.
I am not sure how much you watch footy but I would say it happens most games.

Well it is wrong, and the rules are clear.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2024, 11:32 AM
So I have a Carlton mate who says the umpiring was incredibly bias to the tigers and I know tigers fans who say the opposite . Which team did they actually favour ? The free kicks were 24-17 blues way but we all know it?s not necessarily how many you get but where you get them and how many were missed or given that were wrong.

I actually thought Richmond got the rub of the green early.

Lynch got the 1st 2 goals from soft frees and they refused to play a few in the Blues forward line.
Strangely the free count was strongly Carlton's way at half time and didn't get any worse despite Carlton appearing to get a better run in the 2nd half on my interpretation.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 12:05 PM

Lynch got the 1st 2 goals from soft frees and they refused to play a few in the Blues forward line.
Strangely the free count was strongly Carlton's way at half time and didn't get any worse despite Carlton appearing to get a better run in the 2nd half on my interpretation.

Richmond lost the game through poor field kicking and not being able to hit a target.

They also just bombed it into the forward line and Carlton intercepted everything coming their way.

Testekill
15-03-2024, 12:06 PM
Richmond got some soft frees early on and then Carlton benefitted from some very soft calls late. Ultimately though Richmond couldn't hit a target to save their lives.

Sedat
15-03-2024, 12:06 PM

Better not tell Hanneberry that the number of free kicks has no bearing on whether or not the decisions were correct.

Carlton winning on turnover and getting smashed on clearance/scores from stoppage differential was very different to the last 18 months.

ledge
15-03-2024, 12:37 PM
I think Carlton should have won by more to be honest , they missed more easy shots than the tigers.

ledge
15-03-2024, 12:38 PM
Well it is wrong, and the rules are clear.

You’re talking AFL here , nothing is black and white.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2024, 03:29 PM
You’re talking AFL here , nothing is black and white.

That would be especially correct with a blood rule.

Testekill
15-03-2024, 09:02 PM
Pies have been poor tonight but jeez they make it look easy when they take their chances.

Testekill
15-03-2024, 09:39 PM
If I were Collingwood then I would be throwing EVERYTHING at Jamarra, they desperately need a tall spearhead.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 10:21 PM
Pies have a bit of work to do. It's going to be interesting to see how hard they fight this one out.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 10:22 PM
Will Philips over Logan McDonald can ANYONE explain it to me.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 10:23 PM
Picked Pies but prefer Swans win

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 10:24 PM
Pies have a bit of work to do. It's going to be interesting to see how hard they fight this one out.
Swans look pretty bloody good.

Warner and Mcinerney are very impressive. Play with an intent that all sides need.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2024, 10:25 PM
Pies look out of sorts for the first time in a long time

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 10:25 PM
Dogs 2017

bornadog
15-03-2024, 10:29 PM
Pies on a gap year

Sedat
15-03-2024, 10:32 PM
Cannot farken touch Nick Daicos. Joel Selwood 2.0

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2024, 10:34 PM
Swans pressure has been sharp, Pies haven't been able to handle it.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 10:35 PM
Cannot farken touch Nick Daicos. Joel Selwood 2.0

He's also got his own vomit inducing look about him, which Selwood had every time he got up from a contest looking at the umpire begging for a free like a spoilt dog begging for food.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 10:36 PM
Chad Warner has been impressive. 3 goals from a midfielder by 3Q time is a fair effort.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 10:37 PM
Collingwood are a bit pongy at the moment. Let's see how they fight it out.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2024, 10:40 PM
Picked Pies but prefer Swans win

Personally picked Swans.
Collingwood showing signs of drinking their own bathwater.

Bulldog Joe
15-03-2024, 10:41 PM

Looked out of sorts last week also.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 10:42 PM
Grundy hasn't been as effective against his old, old side

DOG GOD
15-03-2024, 10:59 PM
No close losses to Coll so far. Comprehensively beaten in both games…great to see.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 10:59 PM
Personally picked Swans.
Collingwood showing signs of drinking their own bathwater.

I was younger and a bit more prone to paying attention to Ch7, Ch9 and SEN when Collingwood were last premiers and it was unbearable the constant crap about them that was constantly in your face, and how that made the players/ club behave. Has it been the same these past five months?

If it has I've managed to avoid it.

Are they being outworked and closed down? Are their average players who played out of their skins just not rising to their previous levels?

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 11:01 PM
I was younger and a bit more prone to paying attention to Ch7, Ch9 and SEN when Collingwood were last premiers and it was unbearable the constant crap about them that was constantly in your face, and how that made the players/ club behave. Has it been the same these past five months?

If it has I've managed to avoid it.

Are they being outworked and closed down? Are their average players who played out of their skins just not rising to their previous levels?
You mean you missed the special on fox whefe Gerard re watched the gf with the vfl volunteer canteen lady?

Sedat
15-03-2024, 11:03 PM
Darcy Moore sure hates defending one on one.

GVGjr
15-03-2024, 11:04 PM
Is there a better field kick of the footy than Gulden in the AFL?

The Bulldogs Bite
15-03-2024, 11:04 PM
The fact that some sides are flying 2-0 (Carlton and Sydney) while others have started poorly 0-2 (Richmond and Collingwood), and yet our season still hasn't even started, is utterly ridiculous.

angelopetraglia
15-03-2024, 11:10 PM
Dogs 2017

We started OK. 2-0 and then 4-1. Wheels just fell off.

Eastdog
15-03-2024, 11:15 PM
The fact that some sides are flying 2-0 (Carlton and Sydney) while others have started poorly 0-2 (Richmond and Collingwood), and yet our season still hasn't even started, is utterly ridiculous.

Yeah just start the season normal I say!

Swans very good tonight. Pies had a lot of skill errors which cost them.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 11:15 PM
You mean you missed the special on fox whefe Gerard re watched the gf with the vfl volunteer canteen lady?

I did, but well all no a certain someone around here who would have watched it a few times by now!

jeemak
15-03-2024, 11:20 PM

It's the opportunity deficit where a few are given the exposure and others are dormant that really sucks. And playing Richmond after a five day break because of tradition was absolute stupidity.

I'd love an opportunity to visit the AFL and sit down their executive and marketing teams and really give it to them. It'd make no difference because cut through is difficult in the middle of a massive circle jerk (which would inevitably happen if you put all of them in the same room).....but I'd feel better.

Prince Imperial
15-03-2024, 11:32 PM
Seeing this Collingwood side, shows how miraculous their 1.5 seasons were under the magic of McRae. Their forward line is average and other than Moore, their tall defensive stocks are poor. I'll be disappointed if later in the year Naughton, JUH and Lobb/Darcy don't rip them a new one.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 11:39 PM
It's the opportunity deficit where a few are given the exposure and others are dormant that really sucks. And playing Richmond after a five day break because of tradition was absolute stupidity.

I'd love an opportunity to visit the AFL and sit down their executive and marketing teams and really give it to them. It'd make no difference because cut through is difficult in the middle of a massive circle jerk (which would inevitably happen if you put all of them in the same room).....but I'd feel better.
The teams that played last week also played first this week i mean wtf.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 11:43 PM
Seeing this Collingwood side, shows how miraculous their 1.5 seasons were under the magic of McCrae. Their forward line is average and other than Moore, their tall defensive stocks are poor. I'll be disappointed if later in the year Naughton, JUH and Lobb/Darcy don't rip them a new one.
It's not an amazing list by any stretch.

How bad was Mihocek. Fletcher Roberts level of premiership player.

bornadog
15-03-2024, 11:48 PM
Good to see the Pies thrashed two weeks in a row

BornInDroopSt'54
15-03-2024, 11:51 PM
The fixture is bizarre; I like bizarre 3specially if we beat Melbourne.

jeemak
15-03-2024, 11:52 PM
Seeing this Collingwood side, shows how miraculous their 1.5 seasons were under the magic of McCrae. Their forward line is average and other than Moore, their tall defensive stocks are poor. I'll be disappointed if later in the year Naughton, JUH and Lobb/Darcy don't rip them a new one.

Losing Murphy in game in the GF probably didn't hurt them as much as losing him prior to the season starting. Teams can plan in advance. Not having McStay is essentially the same. Clubs have had months to pick their structure apart.

Being heavily dependent on mid-sized or small forwards is great if it's all clicking and you're getting the ball moving quickly and cleanly.

I don't like Mick Malthouse a lot of the time, but he called out Nick Daicos's handball receives through demanding of the footy as a problem, suggesting he needed to get more of his own footy. Nothing against the kid but he may be in a phase where he's racking up massive but inconsequential numbers at times.

ledge
15-03-2024, 11:52 PM
Just saw the clip of two Collingwood players high fiving each other while Sydney went past with the ball … what a strange thing to do.

Grantysghost
15-03-2024, 11:54 PM
The fixture is bizarre; I like bizarre 3specially if we beat Melbourne.
Nice to hear from you mate. It is bloody bizarre.

ledge
15-03-2024, 11:55 PM
Losing Murphy in game in the GF probably didn't hurt them as much as losing him prior to the season starting. Teams can plan in advance. Not having McStay is essentially the same. Clubs have had months to pick their structure apart.

Being heavily dependent on mid-sized or small forwards is great if it's all clicking and you're getting the ball moving quickly and cleanly.

I don't like Mick Malthouse a lot of the time, but he called out Nick Daicos's handball receives through demanding of the footy as a problem, suggesting he needed to get more of his own footy. Nothing against the kid but he may be in a phase where he's racking up massive but inconsequential numbers at times.

The Daicos thing could be his role in the team to not go in but he the receiver . He is definitely good at it , use players to their strengths ?

BornInDroopSt'54
15-03-2024, 11:55 PM
The fixture is bizarre; I like bizarre, especially if we beat Melbourne.

Testekill
16-03-2024, 12:08 AM
It's not an amazing list by any stretch.

How bad was Mihocek. Fletcher Roberts level of premiership player.

Mihocek is a player who would be good as a third tall, instead he's taking the best tall defender. I said before that Collingwood need to be throwing everything they have at Jamarra and I mean it.

jeemak
16-03-2024, 12:08 AM
The Daicos thing could be his role in the team to not go in but he the receiver . He is definitely good at it , use players to their strengths ?

Could be.

He's an inside and outside player though, and just calling for or demanding the ball without really thinking about it never really ends well.

Bulldog Joe
16-03-2024, 09:05 AM
Mihocek is a player who would be good as a third tall, instead he's taking the best tall defender. I said before that Collingwood need to be throwing everything they have at Jamarra and I mean it.

Hopefully the experience of the Grundy deal makes them shy away from big long term contracts.
We don't need anything with Jamarra except his contract signed for about the next 10 years (with a few Bulldog flags)

bornadog
16-03-2024, 02:58 PM
Gary Lyon is so tiresome to listen to

bornadog
16-03-2024, 03:59 PM
2metre Peter is one of the best set shots in the AFL

Happy Days
16-03-2024, 04:51 PM
Maybe the Pies should’ve done a Simon Cox and tipped McStay out instead. Ginny looks like Toby Greene if he had 18 hours of screen time a day.

EasternWest
16-03-2024, 05:10 PM
Maybe the Pies should’ve done a Simon Cox and tipped McStay out instead. Ginny looks like Toby Greene if he had 18 hours of screen time a day.

https://i.postimg.cc/sf7QMQ0Y/images-12.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

hujsh
16-03-2024, 05:15 PM
Stringer with 4 goals. Flying or cheap out the backs?

Hotdog60
16-03-2024, 05:17 PM
Well the Wizard has been more Wiz in his fist game. Time will tell but I think we got it right.

Hotdog60
16-03-2024, 05:18 PM
Stringer with 4 goals. Flying or cheap out the backs?

Nothing special not out the back more on the lead.
Hawthorns backs aren't much chop.

jDogs
16-03-2024, 05:19 PM
Gary Lyon is so tiresome to listen to

I haven't watched football with volume for maybe 5 years. Muting actually got me back into the sport.

bornadog
16-03-2024, 05:22 PM
Nothing special not out the back more on the lead.
Hawthorns backs aren't much chop.

They have alot of injuries to their taller players

bornadog
16-03-2024, 05:25 PM
Accuracy wins out. 17.5 to 11.17

hujsh
16-03-2024, 05:32 PM
Well the Wizard has been more Wiz in his fist game. Time will tell but I think we got it right.

I've heard nobody beats him though

bulldogsthru&thru
16-03-2024, 06:38 PM

He is playing possibly the hardest position in footy in a crap team. He'll take more time.

Either way, I'm happy with our decision.....or the hawks' decision I should say. Riley fits our current timeline way more and our midfield was crying out for someone of his craft.

GVGjr
16-03-2024, 07:10 PM
Where does GWS sit in the premiership favoritism? Geez they look good when they get on a run. I know it's North but still impressive.

GVGjr
16-03-2024, 07:14 PM
I feel dirty. Bloody Essendon won and Jake kicked 4.

Prince Imperial
16-03-2024, 07:22 PM
Where does GWS sit in the premiership favoritism? Geez they look good when they get on a run. I know it's North but still impressive.

They are favourites with the bookies at $5.00.

GVGjr
16-03-2024, 07:23 PM
They are favourites with the bookies at $5.00.

Here I was thinking that I'm rating them higher than I should. Thanks

hujsh
16-03-2024, 07:52 PM
He is playing possibly the hardest position in footy in a crap team. He'll take more time.

Either way, I'm happy with our decision.....or the hawks' decision I should say. Riley fits our current timeline way more and our midfield was crying out for someone of his craft.

Laughing at the idea Hawks fans thought we should trade Bailey Smith and 6 for 5 to get 'our man' Watson. Sanders looks so good it's hard to imagine going for Watson ahead of him (who I absolutely think will be a good-great player most likely)

hujsh
16-03-2024, 10:41 PM
We'd be playing Henry on a wing if we got him.

Bulldog Joe
16-03-2024, 11:22 PM
We'd be playing Henry on a wing if we got him.

I thought Liam Henry fumbled way too much and was thinking how pleased I was that he chose the Saints.

Happy Days
16-03-2024, 11:56 PM
Liam Henry is a nothing player. I’m glad we missed out.

hujsh
17-03-2024, 12:58 AM
Our named wings are
1. not a winger
2. not a winger but playing his first game there

He'd be playing tomorrow

Happy Days
17-03-2024, 01:12 AM
You reckon we’re any better if we have Liam Henry? I reckon we’re exactly the same.

hujsh
17-03-2024, 01:47 AM
I don't know I'd want to pay a second round pick for him and the fact the Saints got him makes me more weary of him than any failings he might have on field, but yeah I think he'd improve our team.

ledge
17-03-2024, 09:35 AM
I feel dirty. Bloody Essendon won and Jake kicked 4.

Don’t panic it was the first of only two games a year he turns up .. and look at the opposition.

Critter
17-03-2024, 09:43 AM
I've heard nobody beats him though
It's because of the wonderful things he does.

weltschmerz
17-03-2024, 11:13 AM
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1768956220550025509

Witts gonna have Sherrin imprinted on his forehead today

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 11:16 AM
Game day for us. Gee whiz it is so good to have footy back. What a glorious day to go to the MCG.

ledge
17-03-2024, 11:30 AM
Game day for us. Gee whiz it is so good to have footy back. What a glorious day to go to the MCG.

If we win , if we lose it’s “why do I get sucked in by this club year after year ?” Lol

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 11:47 AM
If we win , if we lose it’s “why do I get sucked in by this club year after year ?” Lol

That is the price of admission. The things we do to ourselves. I'm always "all in". So it's either football utopia later this afternoon or football depression. No inbetween.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 09:48 PM
Brisbane is going to be another story if this continues. They will be 0-2.

Both Grand Finalists are going to be 0-2.

bornadog
17-03-2024, 09:51 PM
Brisbane is going to be another story if this continues. They will be 0-2.

Both Grand Finalists are going to be 0-2.

The season started too early and not enough warm up games, plus the weather is hot.

AFL have really stuffed this up

jeemak
17-03-2024, 10:45 PM
The season started too early and not enough warm up games, plus the weather is hot.

AFL have really stuffed this up

I think it started too early by a week, which means the ridiculous round zero needs to go.

Every team should be showcased in the first week of the season, it should be a celebration that all members/ fans are able to indulge in. If there was other sport in competition with the AFEL on at the same time as the opening round, it would be different, but the AFEL isn't competing with any other sport in this country (no matter what the idiots at HO will tell you).

Now the first round is finished, the media needs to go hard on how much of a shit show the last couple of weeks has been. In the first week or two of the season you have Richmond on a five day break playing Carlton on a six for the sake of "tradition". You have Melbourne playing us on a ten day break after getting invaluable feedback from a first competitive hit out. Sydney gets a couple over Collingwood. Adelaide has to travel to the Gold Coast to give GCS two home games in a row and a good start. GWS two home games in a row against a side yet to have a competitive hit out.

Four sides had played two games before ten had played their first. What the absolute **** is that? It's the most embarrassing and compromised thing I've seen from a league with an amazing track record in ****ing about with something that should be a lot more simple than it's been made to be.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 10:52 PM
This is the first time in VFL/AFL history both reigning Grand Finalists have started 0-2.

angelopetraglia
17-03-2024, 10:54 PM
The Lions have caught our disease.

"After conceding 8 unanswered goals for the second straight game the Lions have kicked a much-needed goal."

jeemak
17-03-2024, 11:37 PM
The Lions have caught our disease.

"After conceding 8 unanswered goals for the second straight game the Lions have kicked a much-needed goal."

It's not true. Even though the Lions have done it two weeks in a row we're the only team that really does it to the extent where the run on matches the deficit at the end of the game. Our lapses actually mean something.

jazzadogs
18-03-2024, 12:24 AM
This is the first time in VFL/AFL history both reigning Grand Finalists have started 0-2.

And I'm sure it will take a long time to beat the record of both reigning Grand Finalists being 0-2 before over half the comp have even played two games!

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 11:10 AM
Round 1, 2024: The most attended AFL round of all time ��

Blues v Tigers: 83,881
Pies v Swans: 78,933
Bombers v Hawks: 73,805
Giants v Kangaroos: 8,034
Cats v Saints: 39,352
Suns v Crows: 11,466
Demons v Bulldogs: 44,100
Power v Eagles: 33,230
Dockers v Lions: 40,604

I know we are playing the long game with GWS and Gold Coast. But they both won first round. Their crowds are poor. Season 13 for GWS and season 14 for Gold Coast.

mjp
18-03-2024, 11:45 AM

I know we are playing the long game with GWS and Gold Coast. But they both won first round. Their crowds are poor. Season 13 for GWS and season 14 for Gold Coast.

I totally get that but no way I would have gone to the Gold Coast game in whatever that weather was supposed to be. Those 11466 should each receive a medallion.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 12:13 PM
I totally get that but no way I would have gone to the Gold Coast game in whatever that weather was supposed to be. Those 11466 should each receive a medallion.

Yes. Fair enough. Maybe a pass for GC.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 12:18 PM

This is really pathetic and needs a re-think by the AFL. The ground is in a stupid area and they need to consider moving them, to see if that works.

mighty_west
18-03-2024, 12:19 PM

In fairness they simply don't have the supporter base, Giants playing North was always going to be a struggle and living up here in Brissy having gone to quite a few games at Metricon, you'll find any game v a non Victorian team except Brissy off course will be a struggle, a lot of ex pat Victorians like myself live up here, especially found that out during Covid and attending most of our games, when we played the Dees or Geelong, Richmond etc there was a half decent crowd even though the stadium blocked off half the stadium seating for patrons, when we played the Crows, West Coast, there would have been 2 and a dog, i'm pretty sure our crowd v West Coast was actually under 1k.

Most Gold Coast teams for various codes struggle, they're just not into it even given the fact you could compare the Suns this year and the hype with Hardwick of when Rocket started with us and that excitement, they just don't have it, maybe things could pick up if they become better over a period of time.

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 12:26 PM
This is really pathetic and needs a re-think by the AFL. The ground is in a stupid area and they need to consider moving them, to see if that works.

The ground is located in their major sporting hub. Outside of the SCG and the rectangular Allianz stadium, bacially every single facility of note is at Olympic Park. They are also investing in the area with new rail udnerground access that will link the precint direclty to the CBD and inner suburbs.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 12:35 PM
The ground is located in their major sporting hub. Outside of the SCG and the rectangular Allianz stadium, bacially every single facility of note is at Olympic Park. They are also investing in the area with new rail udnerground access that will link the precint direclty to the CBD and inner suburbs.

People don't travel out there. 2024 is only round Zero

GWS Giants Regular Season Home Games Crowds and Attendances
AFL Attendances By Year (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances)

Year
Games
Total
Average

2024 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2024&t=R&h=H)

2023 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2023&t=R&h=H)

2022 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2022&t=R&h=H)

2021 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2021&t=R&h=H)

2019 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2019&t=R&h=H)

2018 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2018&t=R&h=H)

2017 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2017&t=R&h=H)

2016 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2016&t=R&h=H)

2015 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2015&t=R&h=H)

2014 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=R&h=H)

2013 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2013&t=R&h=H)

2012 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2012&t=R&h=H)

angelopetraglia
18-03-2024, 12:52 PM
People don't travel out there. 2024 is only round Zero

GWS Giants Regular Season Home Games Crowds and Attendances
AFL Attendances By Year (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances)

Year
Games
Total
Average

2024 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2024&t=R&h=H)

2023 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2023&t=R&h=H)

2022 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2022&t=R&h=H)

2021 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2021&t=R&h=H)

2019 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2019&t=R&h=H)

2018 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2018&t=R&h=H)

2017 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2017&t=R&h=H)

2016 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2016&t=R&h=H)

2015 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2015&t=R&h=H)

2014 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2014&t=R&h=H)

2013 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2013&t=R&h=H)

2012 (https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2012&t=R&h=H)

Yes. For GWS they don't.

They sold out +80K for Taylor Swift for four nights in a row. Pink sold out Allianz on Saturday night. For Origin it is sold out. People travel there if they are interested.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 01:18 PM
Yes. For GWS they don't.

They sold out +80K for Taylor Swift for four nights in a row. Pink sold out Allianz on Saturday night. For Origin it is sold out. People travel there if they are interested.

You can't compare Pop stars to a football team.

Well maybe you have just proved that Sydney are not interested in GWS, and it is a failed experiment.

D Mitchell
18-03-2024, 01:30 PM
Big improvement for the 3 tall forwards, 4 goals between them, last year it would have been 3. 2044, Trivia Night at the Albert. Name the AFL player of Irish extraction who played his first game and scored his first goal on St Patrick's Day ? It might have been a great day for the Irish, it wasn't for the Bulldogs.

josie
18-03-2024, 06:51 PM
In fairness they simply don't have the supporter base, Giants playing North was always going to be a struggle and living up here in Brissy having gone to quite a few games at Metricon, you'll find any game v a non Victorian team except Brissy off course will be a struggle, a lot of ex pat Victorians like myself live up here, especially found that out during Covid and attending most of our games, when we played the Dees or Geelong, Richmond etc there was a half decent crowd even though the stadium blocked off half the stadium seating for patrons, when we played the Crows, West Coast, there would have been 2 and a dog, i'm pretty sure our crowd v West Coast was actually under 1k.

Most Gold Coast teams for various codes struggle, they're just not into it even given the fact you could compare the Suns this year and the hype with Hardwick of when Rocket started with us and that excitement, they just don't have it, maybe things could pick up if they become better over a period of time.

At least there was a dog?.