PDA

View Full Version : Trade Rumours 2024

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bornadog
13-03-2024, 05:07 PM
Thread to discuss trade rumours and possible trades for 2024.

bornadog
13-03-2024, 05:08 PM
Richmond have 23 players out of contract.

Any we should target?

Richmond’s 23 out-of-contract players

Liam Baker, Seth Campbell, Mate Colina, Matt Coulthard, Noah Cumberland, Thomson Dow, Jack Graham, Steely Green, Dylan Grimes, Mykelti Lefau, Rhyan Mansell, Dustin Martin, Kamdyn McIntosh, Ben Miller, Sam Naismith, Toby Nankervis, Marlion Pickett, Dion Prestia, Hugo Ralphsmith, Maurice Rioli, Jack Ross, Samson Ryan, James Trezise.

Sedat
13-03-2024, 05:41 PM
Nank depending on what happens with Tim. At 29yo, the perfect plug and play replacement if required.

Mofra
13-03-2024, 05:50 PM
Honestly - nobody.
If by miracle we sign Tim English and have cap space, we have to be talking to Liam Duggan as a FA.

Mofra
13-03-2024, 05:51 PM
Nank depending on what happens with Tim. At 29yo, the perfect plug and play replacement if required.
They're not letting their Captain go cheaply. I'm not sure I'd do it.

ledge
13-03-2024, 06:02 PM
Dustin Martin is an interesting one. He is starting to drop off without the players around him. Age as well.

Sedat
13-03-2024, 06:22 PM
They're not letting their Captain go cheaply. I'm not sure I'd do it.
You're right in March 2024 but a lot can happen in 12 months. If Richmond completely flame out this year, he might not want to spend the final 5 or so years of his career at a bottom 4 club. They are not blessed with quality youth coming through.

Happy Days
13-03-2024, 07:20 PM
I’d take Dusty. Who even cares if the fit is bad it would be so sick.

Grantysghost
13-03-2024, 07:25 PM
I’d take Dusty. Who even cares if the fit is bad it would be so sick.

Dusty, Baz and Libba.

Axe Man
13-03-2024, 07:28 PM
If Dusty leaves Gold Coast would have to be the short priced favourite.

Mitcha
13-03-2024, 07:50 PM

Any we should target?

Fairly underwhelming list to be honest.
Agree with the Nank suggestion as a plug and play option if Tim takes off but wouldn't come cheap being a current club captain. Only other option for me would be the under rated Liam Baker who is capable as a small back, small forward and for mine could play as that hard nosed defensively minded mid who has a healthy dose of shite about him and could be the closest thing we have had to a player capable of locking down on an out of control oppo mid.

Hotdog60
13-03-2024, 08:19 PM
Gettables saying Hawthorn, Sydney and Richmond are into Jamarra.
Cal waffling on about he could get offered a 10 year deal to move.

bornadog
13-03-2024, 09:26 PM

One person starts a rumour and all the Media get on to it.

Happy Days
13-03-2024, 10:40 PM

As always this is a very cool and normal podcast for the AFL to self publish

Rocket Science
13-03-2024, 11:16 PM

Any we should target?

Baker's only 26 and could plug in as a seasoned, low-cost replacement for Duryea.

Virgin-Dog
16-03-2024, 11:54 PM

Any we should target?
For dirt cheap depth contracts:
Ben Miller if he?s delisted (at minimum I?d like him in our VFL side given his versatility).
McIntosh as UFA, experienced wing option (depending on what happens with Poulter tbh)

Baker, Rioli and Nank would all be best 22 options, but probably all close to untouchable (especially the latter two)

Vred
27-03-2024, 03:22 PM
(According to Cal Twomey)
-Bailey Smith has knocked back the 2 years we've offered him
-Dogs are chasing John Noble

(According to BigFooty)
-Dogs are chasing John Noble AND Harry Perryman (Posted by someone who broke the Noble story before Twomey did)
-Dogs are chasing Liam Duggan, Ollie Florent & Max Holmes
-Significant interested in English from WetToast but most likely will stay with us
-JUH deal not far off

hujsh
27-03-2024, 03:45 PM

(According to BigFooty)
-Dogs are chasing John Noble AND Harry Perryman (Posted by someone who broke the Noble story before Twomey did)
-Significant interested in English from WetToast but most likely will stay with us
-JUH deal not far off

Reads like we're sounding out medium defenders specifically rather than having anyone in particular locked in.

If we get English and Jamarra signed up, I can live with seeing Bailey off. Would rather he stayed but hey, maybe McCluggage is interested in coming to Melbourne?

Happy Days
27-03-2024, 03:47 PM
Perryman would be a good get. Kicks the shit out of it.

Noble is just shitty Caleb and we barely want to play the good version of him. Can’t see why we would be interested.

Bulldog Joe
27-03-2024, 04:32 PM
Perryman would be a good get. Kicks the shit out of it.

Noble is just shitty Caleb and we barely want to play the good version of him. Can’t see why we would be interested.

Noble runs quick and his Dad was on our coaching panel about when he was born.

Axe Man
27-03-2024, 04:39 PM
Noble would be ok for cheap, JJ will be 32 before next season, pace from the backline is important.

MrMahatma
27-03-2024, 05:32 PM
Noble has a crack but he's average at best.

Bulldog4life
27-03-2024, 05:38 PM

(According to BigFooty)
-JUH deal not far off

Very happy if we got Max. Like Smith with us he has knocked back Geelong's contract offer.

Axe Man
27-03-2024, 06:15 PM
Very happy if we got Max. Like Smith with us he has knocked back Geelong's contract offer.

It's been reported he could command as much as $1 million per year. I don't quite believe he would get that much but even if Smith goes I don't see how we will be in the market if we re-sign JUH and English.

Twodogs
27-03-2024, 09:06 PM
Liam Duggan?

Dry Rot
27-03-2024, 09:11 PM

Have they lowballed him?

Cats usually don't lose a player they want to keep.

jazzadogs
27-03-2024, 10:00 PM

I saw Holmes compared to Chris Judd the other day. I really like him but thought that was a stretch.

I can't see him coming to the dogs.

ledge
27-03-2024, 10:35 PM
Smith for Holmes.. straight swap ?

JanLorMill
27-03-2024, 11:23 PM
I’d say Holmes is 1000/1 to come to us.

Go_Dogs
28-03-2024, 06:10 AM
I’d say Holmes is 1000/1 to come to us.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance?

ledge
28-03-2024, 09:35 AM
Believe big footy at your peril. Throw enough stories out there you will eventually get one right, not by information but by guessing.

GVGjr
28-03-2024, 10:06 AM
So the rumors have 3 half back types in the mix to come to us in Florent, Duggan and Noble. I have some doubts that it's a position of genuine need for us.

Grantysghost
28-03-2024, 10:11 AM
So the rumors have 3 half back types in the mix to come to us in Florent, Duggan and Noble. I have some doubts that it's a position of genuine need for us.

Yes we need a genuine small forward.

A kpd.

Wingers

mjp
28-03-2024, 10:35 AM

JJ is old and brittle. We need a runner.

GVGjr
28-03-2024, 10:45 AM
JJ is old and brittle. We need a runner.

I'm sort of hoping that's the intention with Bramble and maybe Gallagher.
We don't have a lot of trading chips for next season unless we are prepared to offer future picks as BT alerted us to so I guess we need to test free agency or find some some Cash Converter type players.

Axe Man
28-03-2024, 11:14 AM
I'm sort of hoping that's the intention with Bramble and maybe Gallagher.
We don't have a lot of trading chips for next season unless we are prepared to offer future picks as BT alerted us to so I guess we need to test free agency or find some some Cash Converter type players.

If Smith or English leave we will have something to play with (and Lobb to a lesser extent).

Axe Man
28-03-2024, 11:53 AM
If we are in the market for a running half back, why not Cumming who is an unrestricted free agent?

GIANTS FREE AGENT WATCH

GREATER Western Sydney free agent Isaac Cumming is expected to generate interest from rivals this year despite his injury-hit absence in the first half of the season.

Cumming is an unrestricted free agent for the Giants, meaning he could depart without the Giants having the option to match a bid for him, and is not rushing into a contract decision as he recovers from soft-tissue setbacks to start his 2024 campaign.

The 25-year-old had an ongoing quad problem that was due to set back his start of the season before then suffering a calf injury during his recovery recently, likely ruling him out for the first two months of the year.

But clubs are still set to monitor Cumming as a potential free agent recruit given the Giants' wealth of attacking half-backs seeing him likely play on a wing when he returns from injury.

The Giants Academy product, who was a top-20 pick in the 2016 draft, played 65 of a possible 72 games in the past three seasons. ? Callum Twomey

Link (https://www.afl.com.au/news/1095383/inside-trading-irish-cat-re-signs-swan-in-talks-giant-decision-looms)

Happy Days
28-03-2024, 11:55 AM
I really like Cumming (pause). He’s a beautiful user and has enough size to be a competent defender across a range of players.

Sedat
28-03-2024, 11:33 PM
Noble was fantastic tonight.

jazzadogs
28-03-2024, 11:47 PM
Noble can play as more of a Duryea type lockdown as well. Not sure if that is a strength of Duggan or Florent?

bornadog
28-03-2024, 11:48 PM

Not sure why he was left out of the GF side. he played some good footy last year

jeemak
28-03-2024, 11:57 PM

Just because a player fell out of favour or team selection in a premiership year it doesn't mean he's useless.

Noble has a lot to offer, and to them it might be depth/ accountability to their preferred option. To us it might simply be he's better than who we have and if that's the case then we need to grab him if we can.

dog town
29-03-2024, 09:46 AM
Not sure why he was left out of the GF side. he played some good footy last year

Fell behind Markov late who was seen as more dynamic. Noble is a good player that has just been caught out on team balance. Occasionally slow to get rid of the ball.

Bullies
29-03-2024, 10:08 AM
Very happy if we got Max. Like Smith with us he has knocked back Geelong's contract offer. Holmes will be a gun if not already. Get the deal done and swap with Smith. Unfortunately we are not a go to club. We pick up the left overs.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-03-2024, 10:40 PM
I like Noble if he's young enough. Surprised he was left out of their GF side, would add some run and carry to us.

Mofra
30-03-2024, 10:45 PM
Duggan is a FA but co-captain. He'd be outstanding for us, Jets boy.
I think we could draft & develop a HB though, they do tend to come on pretty quickly. Bramble gives us a stop-gap if JJ declines next year. It seems it's an easier position to fill nowadays than even a lockdown defender.

jeemak
30-03-2024, 11:39 PM
I like Noble if he's young enough. Surprised he was left out of their GF side, would add some run and carry to us.

28 in two months, so if we're thinking we're good for a charge then if he's depth at worst it's an improvement.

Happy Days
31-03-2024, 11:31 PM
Duggan has unfortunately been red pilled by that dogshit “footy club” we played today into thinking whatever it is they do is worthwhile. I’m not trading for anyone from West Coasf for at least ten years.

ledge
01-04-2024, 12:08 AM
Well that game should put to rest any talk of English going to West Coast.

GVGjr
01-04-2024, 08:19 AM
Well that game should put to rest any talk of English going to West Coast.

Because West Coast are bad? I would have thought it would raise their interest in English

Bulldog Joe
01-04-2024, 09:29 AM
Because West Coast are bad? I would have thought it would raise their interest in English

I think it would suggest that their Bailey Williams is already a better pure ruckman than English and has potential to be good forward and around the ground also.

Topdog
01-04-2024, 10:24 AM
I think it would suggest that their Bailey Williams is already a better pure ruckman than English and has potential to be good forward and around the ground also.

Thought Tim won the ruck duel quite convincingly and add in the goals and contested marking both around the ground and in the F50 and I'm seeing WC increasing their interest.

ledge
01-04-2024, 10:47 AM

I’m talking about English interest in them. They are horrible and it will take a few years to be of any premiership contender.
Why would he go there compared to who he is with at the moment.

Happy Days
01-04-2024, 11:01 AM
English destroyed Williams, as has every other ruckman that West Coast has played this year. I don’t know how you could look at it any other way.

Bulldog Joe
01-04-2024, 11:13 AM
Thought Tim won the ruck duel quite convincingly and add in the goals and contested marking both around the ground and in the F50 and I'm seeing WC increasing their interest.

If you thought Tim won the ruck duel at all you were watching a different game to me.

Granted Tim was influential with his work around the ground and forward, but as a ruckman I rated it a best/worst game from Tim.
Soundly beaten at the ruck contest which also translated to clearance loss.

ledge
01-04-2024, 11:27 AM
If you thought Tim won the ruck duel at all you were watching a different game to me.

Granted Tim was influential with his work around the ground and forward, but as a ruckman I rated it a best/worst game from Tim.
Soundly beaten at the ruck contest which also translated to clearance loss.

Is that because the opposition roved to him and not their own ruckman?
Or their ruckman actually got the tap ?
What do we actually call a beaten ruckman ? If we go by all around the ground English smashed the opposition but if you go on just taps it’s questionable .
In my eyes English beat the opposition ruck over the whole day though.
Going by stats the West Coast ruck got one more tap than English 25-24

hujsh
01-04-2024, 11:34 AM
Williams shaded English with some efforts in the ruck but overall our ruck team won. English had his moments in the ruck and was clearly better around the ground both in the air and at ground level.

jazzadogs
01-04-2024, 11:43 AM
Is that because the opposition roved to him and not their own ruckman?
Or their ruckman actually got the tap ?
What do we actually call a beaten ruckman ? If we go by all around the ground English smashed the opposition but if you go on just taps it’s questionable .
In my eyes English beat the opposition ruck over the whole day though.
Going by stats the West Coast ruck got one more tap than English 25-24

English attended 49 ruck contests, and Williams attended 61. English 16 centre bounces, Williams 22.

I don't know if there's somewhere to find out head to head stats, but I would imagine Williams got a few of those hitouts against Darcy.

English was a dominant force. Williams is not a bad ruckman, and had a few wins - but over the course of the day he had no meaningful impact on the game.

ledge
01-04-2024, 11:57 AM
English attended 49 ruck contests, and Williams attended 61. English 16 centre bounces, Williams 22.

I don't know if there's somewhere to find out head to head stats, but I would imagine Williams got a few of those hitouts against Darcy.

English was a dominant force. Williams is not a bad ruckman, and had a few wins - but over the course of the day he had no meaningful impact on the game.

Let’s face it no West Coast player had a meaningful impact in the game , they only kicked 3 goals.

Topdog
01-04-2024, 05:59 PM
Tim won 50% of the ruck contests he entered, Williams won 40%.

bornadog
01-04-2024, 07:43 PM
Tim won 50% of the ruck contests he entered, Williams won 40%.

Also more hitouts to advantage. No use winning just hitouts

jeemak
02-04-2024, 01:10 AM

But how many hit outs to advantage?

Tim's only good if he wins the hit outs to advantage by at least 25% whilst falling within one standard deviation of total hit outs won.

Then you need to subtract the things he does versus the things he doesn't do around the ground, and the add four.

At that point you kind of get a view of what he can deliver.

Bulldog Joe
02-04-2024, 07:08 AM

What about clearances.
West Coast won the clearances and I believe Williams himself had 6 according to one point in the commentary

Happy Days
02-04-2024, 09:54 AM

Tim's only good if he wins the hit outs to advantage by at least 25% whilst falling within one standard deviation of total hit outs won.

Then you need to subtract the things he does versus the things he doesn't do around the ground, and the add four.

And that’s before you spin the wheel.

Grantysghost
02-04-2024, 10:00 AM
And that’s before you spin the wheel.

I thought all those towering marks were boss, the living embodiment of the Colossus of Rhodes.

Not sure how many other players had 3 in their CR column.

Are we dissin' Tim again?! He was bloody awesome.

bornadog
02-04-2024, 10:07 AM

average 38%, which is second to Briggs on 39%

Happy Days
02-04-2024, 11:05 AM
I thought all those towering marks were boss, the living embodiment of the Colossus of Rhodes.

Not sure how many other players had 3 in their CR column.

Are we dissin' Tim again?! He was bloody awesome.

I’ve never dissed Tim (except for all those times I did). Not in at least 12 months anyway.

Twodogs
03-04-2024, 06:19 PM

42. Everyone knows that.

GVGjr
04-04-2024, 08:00 AM
The talk that linked us to Liam Duggan might be for nothing as he is set to re-sign with the Eagles and shun free agency.

West Coast co-captain Liam Duggan is set to turn his back on free agency with a new multi-year deal with the Eagles.

bulldogtragic
04-04-2024, 08:51 AM
The talk that linked us to Liam Duggan might be for nothing as he is set to re-sign with the Eagles and shun free agency.

West Coast co-captain Liam Duggan is set to turn his back on free agency with a new multi-year deal with the Eagles.

From the rumour, I guess that leaves Noble & Florent on our list. Hard to see Florent leaving though.

The Doctor
04-04-2024, 09:52 AM
From the rumour, I guess that leaves Noble & Florent on our list. Hard to see Florent leaving though.

It has been speculated by journo's that swans may have some cap issues. They have 5 big name players OOC and there is thought that one could be shaken loose. Will Haywood is the one they think could be up for grabs, but Florent was also mentioned. They also have Logan McDonald, Gulden and Rowbottom to sign up and all will be on big $$.

azabob
04-04-2024, 09:54 AM
It has been speculated by journo's that swans may have some cap issues. They have 5 big name players OOC and there is thought that one could be shaken loose. Will Haywood is the one they think could be up for grabs, but Florent was also mentioned. They also have Logan McDonald, Gulden and Rowbottom to sign up and all will be on big $$.

Rowbottom actually signed yesterday for four more years.

ledge
04-04-2024, 12:36 PM
Love a good salary dump, you get good players on the cheap.

Dry Rot
04-04-2024, 08:04 PM
It has been speculated by journo's that swans may have some cap issues. They have 5 big name players OOC and there is thought that one could be shaken loose.

Interesting that this has happened after Franklin has retired.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
04-04-2024, 08:08 PM

But weren't the media reporting that they had a master plan all along to drive up Naught's salary to us so they could sign Marra on a long term MONSTER MEGA deal that the dogs couldn't couldn't hope to match, and how astute are Sydney's recruiters to do this.....??
Now they're looking wobbly salary cap wise some 4 weeks later?
Something doesn't add up, only one of those scenarios can be true at one time.

ledge
04-04-2024, 08:24 PM
But weren't the media reporting that they had a master plan all along to drive up Naught's salary to us so they could sign Marra on a long term MONSTER MEGA deal that the dogs couldn't couldn't hope to match, and how astute are Sydney's recruiters to do this.....??

Confirms the media write rubbish one way or the other , or both.

Bulldog Joe
04-04-2024, 08:31 PM

Media regularly report opposite scenarios as fact.

They will be right with something EVENTUALLY and as long as they remind everyone of THAT time they can claim the insight of Nostradamus.

Vred
10-04-2024, 07:18 AM
Directly from a player manager friend that I know:
Dogs have a 5 year-850ish contract in front of English
JUH looking at 2 to 4 years, unsure on money
Dogs have offered a monster 6 year / 900ish contract to Max Holmes
Dogs interested in Nik Cox from Essendon

Significant interest from other clubs in Macca, Caleb and Lobb - Don't be surprised if one of them is used as a salary dump end of season, lots to play out before then.

BigFooty:
Phoenix Spicer will be on our list come the MSD

bulldogtragic
10-04-2024, 07:41 AM

Significant interest from other clubs in Macca, Caleb and Lobb - Don't be surprised if one of them is used as a salary dump end of season, lots to play out before then.

BigFooty:

Holmes-Bailey Smith?

MrMahatma
10-04-2024, 07:57 AM

BigFooty:

So we rate Holmes higher than English?

chef
10-04-2024, 08:55 AM

I guess nature of the beast is always accept a bit less to stay loyal or leave if you want the best offer.

Happy Days
10-04-2024, 09:36 AM
If we pick up Butthead Cox I might not come back. Why is it every year we have to target at least one player who has a moderate reputation but I personally think sucks really bad.

Sedat
10-04-2024, 09:57 AM

BigFooty:
You'd imagine Lobb is an absolute keeper if English decides to test the FA market. Darcy is a wonderful prospect but he is nowhere near ready to assume the no 1 ruck mantle.

Vred
10-04-2024, 09:58 AM

I?d wager it?s a starting point, early days on English?s contract. I?d expect to end up somewhere around the 950/mill-a-year mark when all is said and done.

bulldogsthru&thru
10-04-2024, 10:15 AM
If we pick up Butthead Cox I might not come back. Why is it every year we have to target at least one player who has a moderate reputation but I personally think sucks really bad.

Was Nick Cox the one who everyone hyped up after his first season and compared him to Bont?

bornadog
10-04-2024, 10:23 AM
Was Nick Cox the one who everyone hyped up after his first season and compared him to Bont?

Yes he was - media went gaga.

A big No for me.

bulldogtragic
10-04-2024, 10:27 AM

I don’t know. I don’t even know how tall he is………….

hujsh
10-04-2024, 10:57 AM

Is he even athletic for a big guy (assuming he's tall at all)?

hujsh
10-04-2024, 11:04 AM
Holmes-Bailey Smith?

Couple years younger but hasn't show an much as Smith at his best. Smith coming off an bad injury. Swap of players and a pick swap?

If we did lose Smith it wouldn't be the worst outcome to bring in another highly rated young mid (though I doubt we pry anyone from Geelong, he'll find a couple property deeds in the mail or something)

ledge
10-04-2024, 11:17 AM
Why would Holmes leave Geelong for us ?
They are looking good and he has the beach lifestyle.
Extremely hard to get players out of Geelong unless they aren’t getting a game.

The Underdog
10-04-2024, 11:19 AM
Extremely hard to get players out of Geelong unless they aren?t getting a game.

Maybe he loves Banh-mi. I'd trade the beach for Nhu Lan.

Holmes is a great fit. I'm sceptical we'd get him, but love the play.

SquirrelGrip
10-04-2024, 11:48 AM

Does he have a basketball background?

jazzadogs
10-04-2024, 11:52 AM
Holmes for Baz would be a straight swap. Maybe lacks Baz's inside game, but matches him for speed and easily covers him for skills.

He's an absolute gun. If we are confident that Baz is leaving then this is exactly the sort of play we should be making.

hujsh
10-04-2024, 12:00 PM
Holmes for Baz would be a straight swap. Maybe lacks Baz's inside game, but matches him for speed and easily covers him for skills.

He's an absolute gun. If we are confident that Baz is leaving then this is exactly the sort of play we should be making.

He, Bont and Sanders would be a nice starting trio. Almost a straight swap with Libba and Treloar (same could be said of Baz if we keep him though)

Sedat
10-04-2024, 12:08 PM
Maybe he loves Banh-mi. I'd trade the beach for Nhu Lan.

Holmes is a great fit. I'm sceptical we'd get him, but love the play.
Same if true. Holmes is no Brodie Moles/Tim Callan/Nathan Djerkurra - they would be desperate to keep him. If they are wooing Bailey Smith with the promise of an ethically sourced co-branded loungewear collaboration with Cotton On, let's drive the Max Holmes price up to every last dollar and screw their cap. Hell, he's a dynamic player with athletic gifts that the modern game absolutely prizes and we are in short supply of, so he'd be worth a big contract (injuries permitting of course, which he has had a fair share of hamstrings/soft tissues).

hujsh
10-04-2024, 12:11 PM
Same if true. Holmes is no Brodie Moles/Tim Callan/Nathan Djerkurra - they would be desperate to keep him. If they are wooing Bailey Smith with the promise of an ethically sourced co-branded loungewear collaboration with Cotton On, let's drive the Max Holmes price up to every last dollar and screw their cap. Hell, he's a dynamic player with athletic gifts that the modern game absolutely prizes, so he'd be worth a big contract - injuries permitting of course, which he has had a fair share of hamstrings/soft tissues.

Like the cap on the property market in Geelong?

Axe Man
10-04-2024, 12:17 PM

Money. Reports are Holmes and the Cats aren't quite on the same page money wise.

Holmes after $700k-$800k with triggers, Geelong's initial offer was understandably something less.

It's not surprising that us and other clubs will be sniffing around and possibly willing to offer a greater amount to get his attention.

You suspect Geelong will pony up in the end though.

Sedat
10-04-2024, 12:21 PM
Money. Reports are Holmes and the Cats aren't quite on the same page money wise.

Holmes after $700k-$800k with triggers, Geelong's initial offer was understandably something less.

It's not surprising that us and other clubs will be sniffing around and possibly willing to offer a greater amount to get his attention.

You suspect Geelong will pony up in the end though.
Maybe the triggers are he grows his hair, gets it peroxided blonde and starts wearing a headband

ledge
10-04-2024, 12:36 PM
Wouldn’t it be great to have Holmes , Sanders, Bont, English, smith and Libba for a couple of years playing together.
We trade off Treloar, Daniel and Lobb.
Not saying the trade off players are bad just an age thing.
It’s a big dream but it would be awesome.

Vred
10-04-2024, 01:50 PM
Wouldn’t it be great to have Holmes , Sanders, Bont, English, smith and Libba for a couple of years playing together.
We trade off Treloar, Daniel and Lobb.
Not saying the trade off players are bad just an age thing.
It’s a big dream but it would be awesome.

Treloar won?t be traded, he will finish his career at the Dogs, you?ll probably start seeing 1 year contracts like Libba after his current one is up, that I would put hard money on.

Lobb could very well end up at either Melbourne or StK sooner then later. I really hope CD is just in a form slump and he can get back to his best soon, would hate to see him in another jumper.

Rocket Science
10-04-2024, 01:55 PM
Maybe the triggers are he grows his hair, gets it peroxided blonde and starts wearing a headband

Watching them congregate post-game I reckon I spied about eight of these bots that all look like they fell out of the same 13th Beach sewage pipe.

Digressing, surely Holmes is treading the well-worn path of using us as leverage to fatten his next contract.

mighty_west
10-04-2024, 02:49 PM

BigFooty:

Lobb the ultimate journeyman going from club to club? Yeah Darcy has now caught up and especially if Timmy re-signs it could be a win-win for us and a Dees or Saints.

JUH just sign that dotted line!

Max Holmes, interesting and off course a deal involving Baz would be ideal if he in fact has his eyes on another club then why not? But, Geelong would want to hold onto him with their life, Max is a young gun and would certainly be part of their future plans, would be a great fit at our club but can't see them letting him go.

Nik Cox? eeew, just looks lanky and unco and always injured, one of Dodo's top 10 picks along with Perkins a few years back, i dunno, maybe a punt with a 4th round pick? Obviously, Power and co see something in him.

Phoenix Spicer, awesome name but "apparently" the word is that he's as soft as butter which is why North delisted him, but i did watch our latest VFL game and thought he looked ok, quick and probably did more than Arty and McNeal as that smaller forward, pressured well but i'm sure we'll all be taking a lot more interest now as a possible MSD selection, one to watch.

mighty_west
10-04-2024, 02:53 PM

And a nice seaside 4 bedroom villa courtesy of the club.

JanLorMill
10-04-2024, 03:13 PM
I think many clubs are looking at Holmes, the show gettable named 3 clubs who weren’t us. I wouldn’t rule it out but it’s doubtful he chooses us

JanLorMill
10-04-2024, 03:16 PM
I think Lobb has another year on big money, if he leaves it will be for peanuts. Same with Macrae

bornadog
10-04-2024, 03:34 PM
I think Lobb has another year on big money, if he leaves it will be for peanuts. Same with Macrae

Lobb is only on $500k per year, and yes another year

hujsh
10-04-2024, 03:57 PM
Lobb is only on $500k per year, and yes another year

Can never get rid of that perception that he's on huge coin.

Realistically he's about as good and as cheap coverage as we could hope for in 2 important positions (one of which we have very little depth in).

From a list management perspective it'd be sad to see them go but Daniel and Macrae would probably be higher priority candidates if we're looking to get rid of salary

JanLorMill
10-04-2024, 06:12 PM
500K is huge coin for a vfl player

hujsh
10-04-2024, 06:46 PM
500K is huge coin for a vfl player

I've been reliably informed in discussions on here with regards to English's contract that a decent backup ruck is still on very decent coin. And it's cheaper than what we paid Macrae to play VFL too.

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 08:42 PM
Braden Ingram

"Errol Gulden has told Fox Footy he had an offer of a ten year deal from a rival club before re-signing with Sydney.

I understand that club was Adelaide."

angelopetraglia
10-04-2024, 08:43 PM
These contract lenghts and offers from rival teams to lure top end talent are getting ridiculous!!!!!!!

JanLorMill
10-04-2024, 10:35 PM
I've been reliably informed in discussions on here with regards to English's contract that a decent backup ruck is still on very decent coin. And it's cheaper than what we paid Macrae to play VFL too.
? Not sure what you trying to say here?
Lobb was recruited as forward ruck but is now mainly playing as a vfl ruck. If we wanted a backup ruck, there are always cheap and reasonable options like Naismith, goldsmith , etc I highly doubt Sweet is on 500K too.
Not arguing Macrae is on big coin, slightly different as he still playing firsts.
As I wrote already, we won’t be getting much for either if traded.

hujsh
10-04-2024, 11:17 PM
? Not sure what you trying to say here?
Lobb was recruited as forward ruck but is now mainly playing as a vfl ruck. If we wanted a backup ruck, there are always cheap and reasonable options like Naismith, goldsmith , etc I highly doubt Sweet is on 500K too.
Not arguing Macrae is on big coin, slightly different as he still playing firsts.
As I wrote already, we won?t be getting much for either if traded.

Do you start with question marks on purpose? Is this a cultural thing?

Anyway,
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1075799/2023-total-player-payments-19-1-million-players-average-afl-salary-revealed-for-2023

it was revealed the average salary of an AFL-listed player in the 2023 season was $441,464, up from $406,105 the previous year.

Lobb is on barely above average. Rucks are hard to come by and ones that can actually play are even harder to find (hence why BTC is still on the St.Kilda list). I don't know what kind of salary Sweet has (I'm just going by discussions held here previously with regards to English's salary) but do you think a decent backup like him (arguably still worse than Lobb) is on a lot less? Given he was recruited to another team do you think he's on 400k? 300? 200?

What I'm saying is

1. You're wrong about him being on 'big coin'
2. He's very good depth in a position where we have no depth
3. We'd get more benefit from removing the larger salaries of Macrae or Daniel who are looking fringe best 22 at best and play in positions where we do have depth.

Also Macrae has played 1.25 games of AFL this year. He's more VFL player than AFL as of this moment if we want to try and be picky about him 'currently playing firsts'.

Lastly who is Goldsmith? Do you mean Goldstein? Because I doubt he's on super low pay either and doubt he'd have moved to be a VFL player.

FrediKanoute
10-04-2024, 11:22 PM
These contract lenghts and offers from rival teams to lure top end talent are getting ridiculous!!!!!!!

Its the only real way to differentiate to pry a player away from a club. Most clubs will offer similar coin. Its tenure as an AFL player that matters

Virgin-Dog
11-04-2024, 12:08 AM

BigFooty:
Reasonable price for English. I have my concerns over the viability of sticking with him as number 1 ruck, but I can definitely see huge potential in a pairing of Darcy/English long term, provided the former is the one taking the bulk of the ruck load.

Massive yes to Holmes, would be ecstatic if we pull that off.

Yuck to Cox, always thought he was badly overrated at Essendon, though I can see some potential IF he came dirt cheap (i.e. close to free), which is probably unlikely

I see merit in one of Macrae or CD going. I struggle to see how we fit both in the side within the new system, unless Macrae finds himself a new role. Wouldn't want either to be used as a cap dump though given what that means for the likely compensation.

Rather keep Lobb on $500k. We have no ruck depth if he goes, and would probably pay more than that to poach one from another club.

Spicer looks good so far. Still on the fence with recruiting him given how unimpressive he was at North, but his efforts with Footscray already look like career-best form for him. Could be exciting to see him in the 1s later this year

jeemak
11-04-2024, 12:19 AM
Cox is apparently quite tall and mobile from what I can gather (forgive me, nobody in the media has ever stated him as such), so I reckon he may have a bit of development in him at 22.

EasternWest
11-04-2024, 12:28 AM
Cox is apparently quite tall and mobile from what I can gather (forgive me, nobody in the media has ever stated him as such), so I reckon he may have a bit of development in him at 22.

I've always been curious how tall Peter Wright is too.

jeemak
11-04-2024, 12:36 AM
I've always been curious how tall Peter Wright is too.

OMG! You duffa, it's in his name!

Massive Arsehat Peter Wright who Plays on the Edge! I'd have gone with Two Metre Peter but I'm a simpleton.......

ledge
11-04-2024, 01:06 AM
Reasonable price for English. I have my concerns over the viability of sticking with him as number 1 ruck, but I can definitely see huge potential in a pairing of Darcy/English long term, provided the former is the one taking the bulk of the ruck load.

Massive yes to Holmes, would be ecstatic if we pull that off.

Yuck to Cox, always thought he was badly overrated at Essendon, though I can see some potential IF he came dirt cheap (i.e. close to free), which is probably unlikely

I see merit in one of Macrae or CD going. I struggle to see how we fit both in the side within the new system, unless Macrae finds himself a new role. Wouldn't want either to be used as a cap dump though given what that means for the likely compensation.

Rather keep Lobb on $500k. We have no ruck depth if he goes, and would probably pay more than that to poach one from another club.

Spicer looks good so far. Still on the fence with recruiting him given how unimpressive he was at North, but his efforts with Footscray already look like career-best form for him. Could be exciting to see him in the 1s later this year

Hey have a bit of sympathy for Cox, Essendon couldnt develop bread into toast.
Haven’t seen a champion come out of that club in 20 years

jeemak
11-04-2024, 01:11 AM

That's only because they spent their toaster money on soft floor tech.

Vred
11-04-2024, 01:46 AM

This is my sentiments as well.
Not only are they playing Cox in a position his never played, but Essendon cannot develop white on rice. Cox is a pure winger, not a defender, throwing him on Finlayson last week was just nuts.

Im glad that we're at least identified our problem areas (Wings, defense) and we're looking to trade in to fix them. I wouldn't be opposed to us targeting another small pressure forward as well.

JanLorMill
11-04-2024, 03:44 AM
Double

JanLorMill
11-04-2024, 03:46 AM
Do you start with question marks on purpose? Is this a cultural thing?

Anyway,
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1075799/2023-total-player-payments-19-1-million-players-average-afl-salary-revealed-for-2023

Lobb is on barely above average. Rucks are hard to come by and ones that can actually play are even harder to find (hence why BTC is still on the St.Kilda list). I don't know what kind of salary Sweet has (I'm just going by discussions held here previously with regards to English's salary) but do you think a decent backup like him (arguably still worse than Lobb) is on a lot less? Given he was recruited to another team do you think he's on 400k? 300? 200?

What I'm saying is

1. You're wrong about him being on 'big coin'
2. He's very good depth in a position where we have no depth
3. We'd get more benefit from removing the larger salaries of Macrae or Daniel who are looking fringe best 22 at best and play in positions where we do have depth.

Also Macrae has played 1.25 games of AFL this year. He's more VFL player than AFL as of this moment if we want to try and be picky about him 'currently playing firsts'.

Lastly who is Goldsmith? Do you mean Goldstein? Because I doubt he's on super low pay either and doubt he'd have moved to be a VFL player.
Sorry I?m not going through all that rubbish. So someone above the average and playing vfl is not on big coin. Yeah right.
My point was we are stuck with him because of the cost and his age unless we give him up for little.

JanLorMill
11-04-2024, 03:58 AM
Haven?t seen a champion come out of that club in 20 years
Agreed but highly doubt Essendon are giving up a top 10 pick cheaply.

jeemak
11-04-2024, 04:20 AM
Sorry I?m not going through all that rubbish. So someone above the average and playing vfl is not on big coin. Yeah right.
My point was we are stuck with him because of the cost and his age unless we give him up for little.

I think you should probably go through it, agree it's not rubbish, and apologise for calling it so.

Cut out the first two steps if you like. Maybe nail the third.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2024, 07:55 AM
Personally, I’d offer Lobb an extension. But his last year spread over two years and a smidge more. Maybe he wants another club, maybe he wants another year at least. We flatten his salary again.

He’s great depth, and in form is best 23. Also, if he wants to trade out while he’s under contract and while we have an extension on the table then Sam Power has shown he will only trade in these circumstances for a good result.

Macrae I think with his years and salary is the obvious one to go if there’s interest. We won’t get much, but I guess hypothetically is Smith goes too there’s picks and cash to target players from other clubs.

JanLorMill
11-04-2024, 08:38 AM
Personally, I’d offer Lobb an extension. But his last year spread over two years and a smidge more. Maybe he wants another club, maybe he wants another year at least. We flatten his salary again.

He’s great depth, and in form is best 23. Also, if he wants to trade out while he’s under contract and while we have an extension on the table then Sam Power has shown he will only trade in these circumstances for a good result.

Macrae I think with his years and salary is the obvious one to go if there’s interest. We won’t get much, but I guess hypothetically is Smith goes too there’s picks and cash to target players from other clubs.
Read somewhere Macrae has 2 years after this one left on his contract

bulldogtragic
11-04-2024, 09:19 AM

I used to run a contracts thread but we don’t do it here anymore. So I checked footywire and fox footy and it says 2027. 3 more years after this.

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 10:05 AM

Same here, Lobb is a good player to have on the list and there aren't any signs that he is slowing down. If he is happy to stay and take his chances on being selected then extending his contract and flattening it out a bit makes sense.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-04-2024, 10:12 AM

Hey JLM, love your passion and your contributions here, but unless I'm missing some pretext here, I don't see anything in hujsh's exchange that should warrant such a hostile and dismissive response?

Difference of opinion and articulating your point of view are all supported here, but I don't understand the anger, when hujsh has simply provided an argument to support his view. If you disagree, then this is the space to argue against the points he's made. Isn't that part of the fun of being on a forum is the opportunity to safely argue and get perspective from others?

I don't know man, there doesn't seem much fun to be had at blasting others who seem to be simply engaging with you in conversation in good faith.

bornadog
11-04-2024, 10:21 AM

He may even be athletic

Axe Man
11-04-2024, 10:50 AM

I used to run a contracts thread but we don’t do it here anymore. So I checked footywire and fox footy and it says 2027. 3 more years after this.

I'm not sure everyone is in on the joke BT. Check the contract thread JLM - all the current contract lengths (to the best of my knowledge) can be found in the OP.

bulldogtragic
11-04-2024, 10:54 AM
I'm not sure everyone is in on the joke BT. Check the contract thread JLM - all the current contract lengths (to the best of my knowledge) can be found in the OP.

Joke? What joke?

ledge
11-04-2024, 11:12 AM
What kind of player is Cox and have we got other players that are the same ?
Seems Essendon can’t decide what he is.

GVGjr
11-04-2024, 11:28 AM
What kind of player is Cox and have we got other players that are the same ?
Seems Essendon can’t decide what he is.

For those that want tall, lean and younger players then Cox fits that bill but the jury is out on where he might fit into a senior side
I'm not sure if we would be interested in him or not.

1eyedog
11-04-2024, 11:39 AM

And purchases farmland slightly inland from Moggs Creek

lemmon
11-04-2024, 11:52 AM
This is my sentiments as well.
Not only are they playing Cox in a position his never played, but Essendon cannot develop white on rice. Cox is a pure winger, not a defender, throwing him on Finlayson last week was just nuts.

Im glad that we're at least identified our problem areas (Wings, defense) and we're looking to trade in to fix them. I wouldn't be opposed to us targeting another small pressure forward as well.

How many 200cm career wingers has there been in the history of the game? I feel like it's always an idea thrown around when there's a rangy, athletic, 195cm+ guy who's too slight to hold down a key position post, but I don't think it's ever actually worked out that way.

Bulldog Joe
11-04-2024, 01:11 PM
How many 200cm career wingers has there been in the history of the game? I feel like it's always an idea thrown around when there's a rangy, athletic, 195cm+ guy who's too slight to hold down a key position post, but I don't think it's ever actually worked out that way.

The whole athletic profile is changing.

Clay and Bourke were wingman for Richmond at the start of their careers and transitioned to KPD.

It is more about skill set and wingers need to be mobile endurance specialists with good ball skills.

There are likely to be an increasing number above 195cm as the years progress.

Personally I would like to see Naughton and/or JOD tried in the role for us at some point.

JanLorMill
11-04-2024, 02:40 PM
Hey JLM, love your passion and your contributions here, but unless I'm missing some pretext here, I don't see anything in hujsh's exchange that should warrant such a hostile and dismissive response?

Difference of opinion and articulating your point of view are all supported here, but I don't understand the anger, when hujsh has simply provided an argument to support his view. If you disagree, then this is the space to argue against the points he's made. Isn't that part of the fun of being on a forum is the opportunity to safely argue and get perspective from others?

I don't know man, there doesn't seem much fun to be had at blasting others who seem to be simply engaging with you in conversation in good faith.
No anger on my part and yes you did miss the pretext. I?m fine about it.

hujsh
11-04-2024, 02:56 PM
No anger on my part and yes you did miss the pretext. I?m fine about it.
Wat?

GVGjr
12-04-2024, 10:44 AM
I listened to the Gettable Podcast and it's a long bow to draw that suggests Busslinger is gettable but obviously until a contract is presented it does open up some speculation.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 11:03 AM
I listened to the Gettable Podcast and it's a long bow to draw that suggests Busslinger is gettable but obviously until a contract is presented it does open up some speculation.

It seems a big gamble to take in a way too. We surely wont let a first round pick walk for nothing but on the flip side he hasn't shown much yet to prove he's AFL quality so the demand vs supply is way off.

Surely no club should want him for the price we'd want and no offer a club would make should be near what we'd need.

ledge
12-04-2024, 11:43 AM
Bombers will take Buss and pay overs and Dodoro will claim it’s a steal, then he will go on to play about 5 games as a ruck and get delisted.

Mofra
12-04-2024, 11:47 AM
Clay and Bourke were wingman for Richmond at the start of their careers and transitioned to KPD.
Matty Croft feels this deep in his bones

Naughton is playing a similar way to this, a linking marking player covering a heap of ground between the arcs.

bulldogtragic
12-04-2024, 11:48 AM
Bombers will take Buss and pay overs and Dodoro will claim it’s a steal, then he will go on to play about 5 games as a ruck and get delisted.

I think DoDo has retired from trading. But if we were into Cox, then maybe they’d target Buss. I reckon he signs with us and keeps developing his game.

Mofra
12-04-2024, 11:50 AM
For those that want tall, lean and younger players then Cox fits that bill but the jury is out on where he might fit into a senior side
I'm not sure if we would be interested in him or not.
Cost vs what he actually is is a mile away from me.
Unless we have a 100% locked position/role for a player I wouldn't consider it, especially considering what Essendon would want.
Cox is basically Cheesy Barlow with less charm and less durability.

I expect we lose more players at this trade period than we gain, and hit the draft again which is 100% fine by me.

ledge
12-04-2024, 11:51 AM
I think DoDo has retired from trading. But if we were into Cox, then maybe they’d target Buss. I reckon he signs with us and keeps developing his game.

No it came out he is still there pulling the strings in the back ground, personally I think it was to keep the supporters happy , look like they did something but didn’t.

Mofra
12-04-2024, 11:53 AM
No it came out he is still there pulling the strings in the back ground, personally I think it was to keep the supporters happy , look like they did something but didn’t.
Dodo still has the coteries in his pocket and they run Essendon

hujsh
12-04-2024, 11:55 AM
It's that are Bombers targeting Bus? I'd heard the BF rumors WCE were into him so just assumed it was them. Makes even less sense IMO.

ledge
12-04-2024, 12:09 PM
It's that are Bombers targeting Bus? I'd heard the BF rumors WCE were into him so just assumed it was them. Makes even less sense IMO.

Haha it’s west coast is the rumour. I was just making a point if it was Essendon that’s how they would do it.

mighty_west
12-04-2024, 02:47 PM

Probably more to the fact that he's a WA boy high draft pick key defender who has yet to play a senior game as yet, and that West Coast are desperate for high draft picks or young quality players especially playing in key positions, or maybe they just know something that we don't?

We all are looking forward to seeing him and Croft along with JOD become our future key defenders for the next decade, plus with Khamis now starting to look more than handy as a third key back, could Busslinger be expendable?

Bulldog4life
12-04-2024, 03:04 PM
OMG! You duffa, it's in his name!

Massive Arsehat Peter Wright who Plays on the Edge! I'd have gone with Two Metre Peter but I'm a simpleton.......

Brings back memories.

ledge
12-04-2024, 04:13 PM
Brings back memories.

I still use that word but I am 60.

bornadog
12-04-2024, 05:20 PM
I still use that word but I am 60.
Silly Duffa

ledge
12-04-2024, 06:22 PM
Silly Duffa

Exactly what I still say tis my kids and they are 26 and 32 lol.
I think it’s English as my mum used to say it

jeemak
12-04-2024, 06:56 PM
Brings back memories.

Doesn't get used often.

Bulldog4life
12-04-2024, 07:13 PM
Doesn't get used often.

No Jee. My mum used to say it.

hujsh
12-04-2024, 07:23 PM
My mum pulls out duffa sometimes. I mainly use it on the dogs. My literal dogs not the Bulldogs. Though I guess both can be duffas

ledge
12-04-2024, 07:59 PM
Apparently it originated in Scotland .. “Dowfart” meaning stupid, but more subtle and can be taken as a term of endearment when you do something silly nowadays.

Axe Man
17-04-2024, 10:32 AM
WHO NEEDS A KEY DEFENDER?

Clubs on the Eastern Seaboard will again desperately try to lure West Coast premiership player Tom Barrass out of the club as they scour the competition for established key backs.

With most star backs on long-term deals and clubs already sniffing about a weak mid-season draft, they will again ask about Barrass?s future.

Many have already inquired this year and industry sources believe the Dogs are one club who would love another established key back like Barrass.

He shapes as one of the very few players with trade currency if West Coast?s new list boss Matthew Clark wants to enhance the club?s draft hand.

The 28-year-old would be worthy of a first-round pick but he and his fiance Nadia Rosa have two young children in Perth and would be unlikely to consider a trade request.

Sydney made a concerted bid for him last season.

But he has three seasons on a deal of at least $750,000, is a premiership player and like Eliot Yeo is very happy at the Eagles.

Link (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/moneyball-jacob-van-rooyen-signs-until-2029-no-threeyear-deal-for-jake-stringer/news-story/1d83a27036be05a3da56d80e15f640ce)

ledge
17-04-2024, 10:40 AM
So the article says we are after him as well as other teams then goes on to say he won’t leave as his young family are pretty much entrenched in Perth .
The old get in first then have an excuse if it doesn’t happen.
Hedging your bets as they say.

Happy Days
17-04-2024, 11:03 AM
There’s been this article or some variation of this article every year for the last 4 years.

1eyedog
17-04-2024, 11:06 AM
Would need a million bucks to pry them out, no thanks.

EasternWest
17-04-2024, 12:33 PM
Would need a million bucks to pry them out, no thanks.

Straight swap English and Lobb for Barrass.

Stevo
17-04-2024, 03:55 PM
Barass is a good player but I wouldn't go that hard at getting him and there is no way an English for Barass trade works for me.

EasternWest
17-04-2024, 03:58 PM
Barass is a good player but I wouldn't go that hard at getting him and there is no way an English for Barass trade works for me.

Throw Stevo in too.

Stevo
17-04-2024, 04:00 PM
Throw Stevo in too.

I'll see if I can change my name to steak knives :)

JanLorMill
17-04-2024, 08:52 PM
In a heartbeat Barrass for English

lemmon
17-04-2024, 09:11 PM

He'll also be 29 by the time next season starts. Unless you're Sydney and it turns you into a flag contender, no chance I'd be giving away that much currency for three years of good footy.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2024, 09:23 PM

Someone I know with a connection to WCE says they have a bit of interest.

jeemak
23-04-2024, 07:27 PM
Holmes has re-signed with Geelong. Four years.

Grantysghost
23-04-2024, 07:35 PM
Holmes has re-signed with Geelong. Four years.

Nobody ever leaves. I've said that with zero research and I'm sticking with it.

azabob
23-04-2024, 07:36 PM

No other way to roll on woof

bornadog
23-04-2024, 08:08 PM

Ablett , but he came back. Does that count

bulldogtragic
23-04-2024, 08:32 PM

Tim Callan, Nathan Djerrkura, Peter Street.

Grantysghost
23-04-2024, 08:59 PM
Ablett , but he came back. Does that count

Came back under the most dodgy of circumstances.

Was an amazing piece of luck the Cats ended up with the pick that would satisfy GC.

Grantysghost
23-04-2024, 09:00 PM
Tim Callan, Nathan Djerrkura, Peter Street.

You are forgetting a premiership player and our current gun defender.

Hamling and Gardner.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2024, 09:03 PM
You are forgetting a premiership player and our current gun defender.

Hamling and Gardner.

They had no choice as they were sacked.

jeemak
23-04-2024, 09:18 PM
Adrian Hickmott.

chef
23-04-2024, 09:32 PM
Leigh Colbert.

Grantysghost
23-04-2024, 09:48 PM
Leigh Colbert.
Thats a good one. He was in his prime when he went to Norf.

chef
23-04-2024, 10:01 PM
LDU sounds like he'll be on the move from North, should be a heap of clubs after him.

bulldogtragic
23-04-2024, 10:08 PM
LDU sounds like he'll be on the move from North, should be a heap of clubs after him.

Happy to trade him for McNeil and force Smith into the PSD.

Grantysghost
23-04-2024, 10:47 PM
Oh please please come to us! Gun...

Rocket Science
23-04-2024, 10:54 PM

*Bluey Hampshire has logged onto the chat*

Grantysghost
23-04-2024, 11:24 PM
Oh please please come to us! Gun...
Yes I'm quoting myself.

I just realised he's going to the cats isn't he

Sedat
24-04-2024, 12:05 AM
Brodie Moles

Sedat
24-04-2024, 12:06 AM
Stephen Lunn
Andy Preston

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-04-2024, 07:17 AM

Andrew 'The Flying Egg' Wills... I bet they still lose sleep over losing the Egg to Freo, and to think the Bulldogs then pounced with pick 9 in the preseason draft in 2000 to extract the pure best of Wills with his final 10 AFL games, in our colours.

macca
24-04-2024, 08:58 AM
Carl steinfort , he was good enought to play in a GF !

Delisted: stokes and , chapman and kelly. Gun players.

The Underdog
24-04-2024, 10:02 AM

He was. An excellent pick up for North in 1999.
Apart from Tim Kelly, Linc McCarthy and Esava there haven't been really any players that the Cats wanted to keep that have left since basically the turn of the century. And now Holmes is hanging around, to almost nobodies surprise.

Axe Man
24-04-2024, 10:16 AM
Geelong traded Brent Moloney to Melbourne who was a promising young player at the time. They didn't so much want to lose him but needed a high draft pick to trade for Brad Ottens.

Steven Motlop left to Port Adelaide as a free agent. Of course they got a juicy draft pick (19) as compensation that conveniently got them Ablett back, as mentioned above.

hujsh
24-04-2024, 10:43 AM
What about Josh Caddy? Did they want to let him go?

Sedat
24-04-2024, 11:01 AM
Matty Robbins a well - no complaints at all with that one

Grantysghost
24-04-2024, 11:03 AM
Ha - I should've made this it's own thread it's awesome. Some of the names coming up are classic!

Countrydog5
24-04-2024, 11:05 AM
Luke Davies-Uniacke likely to draw some interest end of this year. Would he be someone we'd explore given Holmes has re-signed? We'd be competing against some ridiculously large offers i'd assume.

Grantysghost
24-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Luke Davies-Uniacke likely to draw some interest end of this year. Would he be someone we'd explore given Holmes has re-signed? We'd be competing against some ridiculously large offers i'd assume.

1000 times yes.

Grantysghost
24-04-2024, 11:42 AM
What about Josh Caddy? Did they want to let him go?

Interesting trade in hindsight.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/trades/2016-josh-caddy

Parfitt came from it (and Narkle who is gone) - but Tigers got Caddy and Graham.

azabob
24-04-2024, 11:45 AM
Geelong traded Brent Moloney to Melbourne who was a promising young player at the time. They didn't so much want to lose him but needed a high draft pick to trade for Brad Ottens.

Steven Motlop left to Port Adelaide as a free agent. Of course they got a juicy draft pick (19) as compensation that conveniently got them Ablett back, as mentioned above.

Are you sure? Fair to say Brent Moloney was a journey man. Fairly sure the cats were happy to let him go regardless of the "noise" made.

Axe Man
24-04-2024, 11:53 AM
Are you sure? Fair to say Brent Moloney was a journey man. Fairly sure the cats were happy to let him go regardless of the "noise" made.

He wasn't a journey man after only 2 seasons at Geelong. Given he was traded for pick 12 I would say he was fairly highly rated at the time and he did win a B&F at Melbourne. Geelong had to let someone of value go to get Ottens and Moloney agreed as he had grown up a Melbourne supporter.

Certainly it was on Geelong's terms though and they came out winners as usual.

HOW EX-GEELONG MIDFIELDER'S TRADE TO MELBOURNE PLAYED OUT (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/08/25/how-ex-geelong-midfielders-trade-to-melbourne-played-out/)

Sedat
24-04-2024, 11:57 AM
Tim Callan
The original September specialist - played 6 finals for us out of 19 games in total

Nathan Djerrkura
Can't remember which woof poster said this but it always makes me laugh..."If only the footy had a handle, he would have been a champion"

Peter Street
And another gem from a woof poster..."His idea of a 2nd effort was competing the next hitout after a goal was kicked"

mjp
24-04-2024, 12:52 PM
Can't remember which woof poster said this but it always makes me laugh..."If only the footy had a handle, he would have been a champion"

Pretty sure I said that but about Cam Faulkner "The next Andew Macleod" rather than Djerrkura.

Mofra
24-04-2024, 02:19 PM
Pretty sure I said that but about Cam Faulkner "The next Andew Macleod" rather than Djerrkura.
Mr Opposite - he could do the hard things but not the easy stuff

Mofra
24-04-2024, 02:20 PM
Cost vs benefit doesn't work for me. If we get a first rounder (which would only be part of what is required) we have to take it to draft, so many good mids this year.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2024, 02:30 PM
Tom Morris

Rory Lobb?s contract at the @westernbulldogs is actually four years, not three as was suggested when he joined from Freo.

With a deal until the end of 2026, Victorian rivals are hovering, aware that if he spends most of the year in the VFL a trade to a fourth AFL club is a strong possibility.

St Kilda was keen 18 months ago. North & Collingwood likely to be in the market too. A watch on Melbourne & how it looks to strengthen its front half in October.

Countrydog5
24-04-2024, 02:50 PM
Cost vs benefit doesn't work for me. If we get a first rounder (which would only be part of what is required) we have to take it to draft, so many good mids this year.

I've had arguments with my brother over this before. Admittedly I avoid watching north Melbourne as much as possible for my own sanity, but he's never stood out to me as being an exceptional player. Maybe the victim of a shocking system and team around him, but I don't think i'd be interested if I was the club unless he stated he wanted to come to us for whatever reason.

GVGjr
24-04-2024, 03:29 PM

We've had some glowing reports on early picks over the years. I think Michael Martin was regarded as one of the best to come out of Tasmania.

bulldogtragic
24-04-2024, 03:32 PM
We've had some glowing reports on early picks over the years. I think Michael Martin was regarded as one of the best to come out of Tasmania.

The best, Jerry, the best.

Farren Ray was every bit of Robbie Flower…

Sedat
24-04-2024, 03:32 PM
I always thought it was in relation to Djerkurra but happy to stand corrected.

That's some real Alanis irony with Faulkner being dubbed "the next McLeod" when McLeod was probably the best one-touch player in AFL history.

My other favourite woof quote was in relation to Sam Power...."if only the goals were located on the wings, he'd be the best player in the comp"

GVGjr
24-04-2024, 03:42 PM
I always thought it was in relation to Djerkurra but happy to stand corrected.

That's some real Alanis irony with Faulkner being dubbed "the next McLeod" when McLeod was probably the best one-touch player in AFL history.

My other favourite woof quote was in relation to Sam Power...."if only the goals were located on the wings, he'd be the best player in the comp"

It was definitely the mail on how good Cam Faulkner was supposed to be.
It was an interesting draft, we apparently wanted Andrew Mackie but went with Tim Walsh wishing that Mackie would still be there at 17 but Geelong went early for him. We got Faulkner at 17 and Minson at 20.

Sedat
24-04-2024, 03:45 PM
The best, Jerry, the best.

Farren Ray was every bit of Robbie Flower…
KB was quite the fan from memory

Poor Farren had a banner made for his 200th game that read "Congratulations Farren on 200 solid games"

bulldogtragic
24-04-2024, 03:47 PM
KB was quite the fan from memory

Poor Farren had a banner made for his 200th game that read "Congratulations Farren on 200 solid games"

My favourite ever banner. Of any club. Ever.

Sedat
24-04-2024, 03:50 PM
My favourite ever banner. Of any club. Ever.
There are only 2 others that I rate above this one.

Collingwood's first banner against Melbourne after Peter Moore defected to the Demons...."Moore Filth"

Carlton's banner against Essendon in early 1991, mimicking the drink drive bloody idiot ad campaign at the time....."if you lose to Collingwood in a Grand Final, you're a bloody idiot"

1eyedog
24-04-2024, 04:12 PM

Tim Kelly, Michael Mansfield, Jordan Clarke, and what's his name that bald guy that came to us.

angelopetraglia
24-04-2024, 04:47 PM
This banner was decent too.

https://64.media.tumblr.com/42cdbde6883269fab669e41930b3f327/tumblr_oe73wu7JuJ1v463zzo1_540.jpg

ratsmac
24-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Sedat is on fire! Keep the zingers coming. I'm having a good old laugh. If the footy had a handle :D

azabob
24-04-2024, 07:03 PM
Tom Morris

Rory Lobb?s contract at the @westernbulldogs is actually four years, not three as was suggested when he joined from Freo.

With a deal until the end of 2026, Victorian rivals are hovering, aware that if he spends most of the year in the VFL a trade to a fourth AFL club is a strong possibility.

St Kilda was keen 18 months ago. North & Collingwood likely to be in the market too. A watch on Melbourne & how it looks to strengthen its front half in October.

Not sure how I feel about this.

I?m vindicated in being correct about the contract length? but that slug Morris is the one who confirmed it?.

Grantysghost
24-04-2024, 07:32 PM
Tim Kelly, Michael Mansfield, Jordan Clarke, and what's his name that bald guy that came to us.
The flying egg! Andrew Wills, think it's been mentioned earlier.

Happy Days
24-04-2024, 07:35 PM
I think Andrew Wills is the first player I ever identified as being bad.

Grantysghost
24-04-2024, 07:39 PM
I think Andrew Wills is the first player I ever identified as being bad.
Ha. He wasn't great. Looked and played like a 45 year old accountant.

bornadog
24-04-2024, 07:52 PM
Nothing wrong with an accountant:D

HOSE B ROMERO
24-04-2024, 08:17 PM

He had worked as a bank teller. Got in a bit of strife.

azabob
24-04-2024, 08:32 PM
Nothing wrong with an accountant:D

What about an accountant that is a consultant? :D

bornadog
24-04-2024, 11:33 PM
What about an accountant that is a consultant? :D
That's a problem :eek:

jeemak
24-04-2024, 11:59 PM
Greg Williams

Dogs 24/7
25-04-2024, 10:45 AM
So from what I can gather we aren't really linked to any player at the moment. I'm sure we will later in the season much like we were with Lobb.

Grantysghost
25-04-2024, 10:56 AM
Greg Williams
Oh yeah thats a huge one. Cats weren't the juggernaut back then.
You could actually afford property in Anglesea.

ledge
25-04-2024, 01:42 PM
So from what I can gather we aren't really linked to any player at the moment. I'm sure we will later in the season much like we were with Lobb.

It’s interesting to see what kind of player we target. We seem to have most based covered.
Maybe a full back ?

bulldogtragic
25-04-2024, 01:46 PM
It’s interesting to see what kind of player we target. We seem to have most based covered.
Maybe a full back ?

Hopefully. Keath will go. Jones will be another year closer to the end. Gardner can’t be counted on. Buss hasn’t played a game yet. I hope we are targeting a ready to go KPD.

Mofra
26-04-2024, 09:44 AM
If we somehow keep Buss perhaps we'll be quiet at the trade table? Perhaps a solid small defender, but we shouldn't trade for the sake of trading. Hit the draft as much as possible

azabob
26-04-2024, 10:44 AM
If we somehow keep Buss perhaps we'll be quiet at the trade table? Perhaps a solid small defender, but we shouldn't trade for the sake of trading. Hit the draft as much as possible

Are you hearing he wants to head back home?

bornadog
26-04-2024, 10:48 AM
Are you hearing he wants to head back home?

West Coast sniffing around

azabob
26-04-2024, 10:48 AM

Dislike

Grantysghost
26-04-2024, 02:10 PM
Dislike
Potentially i agree.

However im not overly enthused with him to this point.

Runs like he has ricketts.

Im not sure of his role, looks too slow to be an interceptor and maybe not big enough to be a lockdown May/Mckay type.

azabob
26-04-2024, 02:20 PM
Potentially i agree.

However im not overly enthused with him to this point.

Runs like he has ricketts.

Im not sure of his role, looks too slow to be an interceptor and maybe not big enough to be a lockdown May/Mckay type.

Based only on coaches comments in the weekly wrap he is making progress.

Last year was a total write off.

mighty_west
26-04-2024, 02:48 PM

Wonder if Barrass wants to have a crack at a flag before his time is up, he and Jones would be a nice combo down back whilst Liam is still playing good footy, as much as i'd hate us to lose Buss.

Mofra
26-04-2024, 03:52 PM
Wonder if Barrass wants to have a crack at a flag before his time is up, he and Jones would be a nice combo down back whilst Liam is still playing good footy, as much as i'd hate us to lose Buss.
He turned down Sydney's massive offer so I guess he finishes his career at West Coast

Go_Dogs
27-04-2024, 06:27 AM
Can we start a rumour that Butters really wants to come to the Dogs.

Happy Days
27-04-2024, 11:20 AM
Can we start a rumour that Butters really wants to come to the Dogs.

I’ve actually heard that. Many people are saying it in fact.

EasternWest
27-04-2024, 12:16 PM
I’ve actually heard that. Many people are saying it in fact.

All the best people, so many people, you wouldn't believe it. We're gonna get him, and Port's going to pay for it.

Happy Days
27-04-2024, 12:18 PM
That’s at least three different people saying it now. Hearing it from too many sources for it not to be true.

bulldogtragic
27-04-2024, 12:46 PM
All the best people, so many people, you wouldn't believe it. We're gonna get him, and Port's going to pay for it.

My mate whose in a business adjacent to Bailey Smith?s reckons Smith is you g to pick Port Adelaide to give him a bigger national brand and we?ve got a wink and nod that Butters will join us. He also really wants to play with Bont too.

Grantysghost
27-04-2024, 01:01 PM
My mate whose in a business adjacent to Bailey Smith?s reckons Smith is you g to pick Port Adelaide to give him a bigger national brand and we?ve got a wink and nod that Butters will join us. He also really wants to play with Bont too.

Get him to the bus stop post haste! (yes low effort meme but it works)
https://i.postimg.cc/nhvMvf2b/Cut-Paste-2024-04-27-12-00-07-518.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ZW5TSgXV)

Grantysghost
27-04-2024, 01:02 PM

Deleted

Go_Dogs
27-04-2024, 01:31 PM
That’s at least three different people saying it now. Hearing it from too many sources for it not to be true.

Excellent.

Gaining legs this. I wonder what terms he’s in principle agreed to? Surely a long term contract. 8 years. $850k + incentives. Could be a future captain too I hear.

macca
27-04-2024, 01:47 PM
Power ,please make the Butters trade happen.

Actually i was considering Macrae would be an experienced mid to trade to port. Power-pepper and Wines too injury prone. Macrae be ideal mature mid to fit their profile.

ledge
27-04-2024, 02:05 PM

Not sure port would give him a bigger brand, only in SA if that’s the case.
If he wants to brand up the pies would be the team.
But I would take Butters.

Bulldog Joe
27-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Not sure port would give him a bigger brand, only in SA if that’s the case.
If he wants to brand up the pies would be the team.
But I would take Butters.

Ledge
You are not playing the game.
Of course Port increases his reach and they would be all embracing.

It only takes a direct swap for Butters so we could endure that.

ledge
27-04-2024, 02:58 PM
Ledge
You are not playing the game.
Of course Port increases his reach and they would be all embracing.

It only takes a direct swap for Butters so we could endure that.

:-) Weil it is a bulldog forum we should get everything we want.

Bullies
29-04-2024, 10:50 AM
So from what I can gather we aren't really linked to any player at the moment. I'm sure we will later in the season much like we were with Lobb. I believe we are very much into Oliver Florent from the Swans. He also said he was a long way off signing with the Swans. Exactly what we need with the pace he has.