PDA

View Full Version : The Monday Soap Box - Round One

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 08:39 AM
It's time to have a rant about something.
It could be the AFL, umpiring, Kane Cornes, Channel 7 commentary, Rules, Opposition players etc

The Doctor wants to share this with you

The Food Van at Footscray v Werribee at WO on Saturday.

For the 2nd week in a row I'm having a rant about this. Last week the ice cream van disappeared before the end of the game. It was 35 degrees and everyone wanted an ice cream. This week we had a food van selling snags in a roll for $10.
Yes $10 for a 60c roll and one of those God awful thin sausages that cost about 60c you can buy from Woolies.
It took 10 minutes to get it. The dude asked me if I wanted cheese. I said "yes sir" so he gave me the sausage roll without the cheese. When I said 'hey mate you forgot the cheese" he looked at me as though I was starting an argument.
First he rips me off then he gets gnarly with me!

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 09:04 AM
For me

I caught a glimpse of Tom Morris having a crack at Bevo and the club about our performance yesterday.
Luckily James Bartel added some proper context to the performance but it was typical form from Morris and it should be a timely reminder to us all that he is a poor excuse of a journo.

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 09:16 AM
This is another one from The Doctor

This stupid nominating the ruck rule.

Get rid of it. It is amatuerish and stupid. It happened in the Saints v Geelong game when they held up the game and waited for Marshall to make it to the contest. He was only wearing one boot as he limped up. Then eager to get on with it he put his boot behind the contest area. A Geelong player then hurled it away. The umpire got cranky! Held up the game again while the boot was retrieved. What a fiasco. The in our debacle Lobb got in trouble for blocking Gawn presumably trying to get to the contest while everyone was waiting. It cost us a penalty downfield and a goal. Stuff it if the ruckmen aren't ready. Ball it up and get on with it. No nominations either. Just 2 players go up. If a 3rd joins in. Penalise them.

ledge
18-03-2024, 09:39 AM
Interrupted pre season . Fair dinkum a player misses a week of pre season and that’s an excuse used before the season starts in case he has a bad game.
Uninterrupted pre season , the reason he played a great game first up.
Pick and choose what suits your agenda.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 09:50 AM
Music

1. Not necessary at a sporting event
2. Music chosen is crap
3. Don't sit under speakers

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 09:52 AM
Music

2. Music chosen is crap

Nice one BAD, It's getting over the top isn't it?

bornadog
18-03-2024, 09:54 AM
Nice one BAD, It's getting over the top isn't it?

Can't stand it, and it is very loud and you can't talk to people if you are sitting near speakers.

Happy Days
18-03-2024, 10:15 AM
Trading for a tagger with veneers and then not using him to tag or bite anyone.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 10:15 AM
Trading for a tagger with veneers and then not using him to tag or bite anyone.

Hahahaaaaaa.

Thanks HD needed a good laugh!

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 10:17 AM
It's time to have a rant about something.
It could be the AFL, umpiring, Kane Cornes, Channel 7 commentary, Rules, Opposition players etc

For the 2nd week in a row I'm having a rant about this. Last week the ice cream van disappeared before the end of the game. It was 35 degrees and everyone wanted an ice cream. This week we had a food van selling snags in a roll for $10.
Yes $10 for a 60c roll and one of those God awful thin sausages that cost about 60c you can buy from Woolies.
It took 10 minutes to get it. The dude asked me if I wanted cheese. I said "yes sir" so he gave me the sausage roll without the cheese. When I said 'hey mate you forgot the cheese" he looked at me as though I was starting an argument.

Why can't they open the bloody brand new awesome food outlet in the north east corner??!

I go to watch my niblings run at a little athletics meet with a few people and they have a proper full canteen setup. Bah.

azabob
18-03-2024, 10:31 AM
Why can't they open the bloody brand new awesome food outlet in the north east corner??!

I go to watch my niblings run at a little athletics meet with a few people and they have a proper full canteen setup. Bah.

What the heck is a nibling?

bulldogsthru&thru
18-03-2024, 10:34 AM
The goal review:

What was the deal with the review in our game where they stopped live play to check if the ball had crossed the line? I don't think I've ever seen that before. But it's stupid. You stop live play to see if the ball crossed the line for a point. In this instance it hadn't and we were denied a potential goal because live play was halted. In saying that the re-bounce was favourable to us but it still seems silly. I don't know what the solution is but halting live play for a review is crap.

Sedat
18-03-2024, 10:36 AM
Interrupted pre season . Fair dinkum a player misses a week of pre season and that’s an excuse used before the season starts in case he has a bad game.
Uninterrupted pre season , the reason he played a great game first up.
Pick and choose what suits your agenda.
Agree with this. Clayton Oliver had what you would call a relatively interrupted pre-season - you wouldn't have known yesterday.

Happy Days
18-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Agree with this. Clayton Oliver had what you would call a relatively interrupted pre-season - you wouldn't have known yesterday.

Depending on your world view you could argue that he had the best, most chemically assisted pre-season possible.

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 10:40 AM
The goal review:

What was the deal with the review in our game where they stopped live play to check if the ball had crossed the line? I don't think I've ever seen that before. But it's stupid. You stop live play to see if the ball crossed the line for a point. In this instance it hadn't and we were denied a potential goal because live play was halted. In saying that the re-bounce was favourable to us but it still seems silly. I don't know what the solution is but halting live play for a review is crap.

I know we got a decision go our way with Khamis but I really do question the value of the goal reviews vs the time it takes to get it done.

ledge
18-03-2024, 10:58 AM
I know we got a decision go our way with Khamis but I really do question the value of the goal reviews vs the time it takes to get it done.

I question goal umpires questioning their own decision when it’s blatantly obvious.

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 12:09 PM
I question goal umpires questioning their own decision when it’s blatantly obvious.

It's been overdone. Good concept but with the appropriate technology to support it.

bornadog
18-03-2024, 12:15 PM

It really stopped the flow of the game

GVGjr
18-03-2024, 03:41 PM
Okay, I was fuming when I came home but somehow I decided to watch the replay and to be honest I thought the commentary team did a great job at just calling the game. My rant is that that level of commentary needs to be the standard for the season.
Hudson, Johnson, Lewis and Hill really worked well together.

Sedat
18-03-2024, 03:51 PM
My rant is that that level of commentary needs to be the standard for the season.
Hudson, Johnson, Lewis and Hill really worked well together.
The Ch 7 Saturday night coverage at Pissant Park was dire. Luke Darcy, Hame, Jobe, Ling, Erin Phillips (great player, pretty awful media talent) is about as unwatchable as the footy on the TV gets.

Stevo
18-03-2024, 03:53 PM

Well the Doctor is bang on with this. The club should be able to organise things a bit better than this. I popped in and was surprised at the pricing especially given how poor the standard of the food was.
I get that everything is going up but why is the quality of the food going down at the same time?

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 04:07 PM
What the heck is a nibling?
Nieces / nephews

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 04:08 PM
Considering his jumper was XL it was easy to spot.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 04:11 PM
Bailey Williams joking around ten mins after the game.
I know it's irrational, yes Rocco i know, but it still pissed me right off!

I had just decided not to put my head in the oven and then saw this!

https://i.postimg.cc/zfWk349K/PXL-20240317-045725493.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Tydb4N23)

azabob
18-03-2024, 04:15 PM
My soapbox is I had to watch that sniping grub Kosie Pickett play.

He was bloody suspended in Melbourne's last game of the year.

I spent all summer content in the fact I wouldn't have to put up with his smug punchable face come round one...

Thats why I'm pissed off with round zero, nothing to do with fairness or equality...

bornadog
18-03-2024, 04:43 PM

https://i.postimg.cc/zfWk349K/PXL-20240317-045725493.jpg (https://postimg.cc/Tydb4N23)

Brave of you to watch this. I got home within 10 minutes of the game ending and I could have switched the Telly on, but was in no mood.

The Doctor
18-03-2024, 04:50 PM

I was disappointed by this too. Thousands of supporters disappointed and thinking our season hopes are dashed and they don't seem to be hurting or care.

josie
18-03-2024, 06:55 PM
Music

2. Music chosen is crap

One of my pet hates is music & announcements blaring. I now where noise cancellation headphones - it doesn?t block out much but at least I go home without a headache.

Add to that at MCG the still adverts were still showing on big screen when play had restarted during many passages of play, really unprofessional.

josie
18-03-2024, 06:58 PM
Poor grammar, sorry woofers.

Wear not where.

Edit doesn?t work for me, my whole post disappears when I try to edit.

EasternWest
18-03-2024, 07:01 PM
Can't stand it, and it is very loud and you can't talk to people if you are sitting near speakers.

I'm actually not going to a game until they stop this crap.

Grantysghost
18-03-2024, 07:09 PM
I'm actually not going to a game until they stop this crap.

It's never going to stop. I hate it with a passion, and blame all of you US sports fans.

EasternWest
18-03-2024, 07:10 PM
It's never going to stop. I hate it with a passion, and blame all of you US sports fans.

That means no more 8 dollar lukewarm pies for me and I can drink my own beer when I suffer through our games.

I'm ok with it.

jeemak
18-03-2024, 10:23 PM
That means no more 8 dollar lukewarm pies for me and I can drink my own beer when I suffer through our games.

I'm ok with it.

It's why I've stopped going. The noise, the bright lights, and the betting bullshit is too much for me.

Go_Dogs
19-03-2024, 12:18 PM
Who actually goes to the footy then??!!

I agree on the noise. Makes it more challenging with young ones too - they don’t enjoy it, too loud and too much stimulation - no idea who it appeals to.

Dry Rot
19-03-2024, 11:09 PM
My first rant rant is about the soft headbut by Harmes on May.

If you're going to try to do some tough guy stuff and get suspended, do it properly.

Hopefully he both reads WOOF and this thread

If so, he needs to go back in time when men were men in the 1970s and watch and learn - When Manly came to Lidcombe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJkq0ij6MUQ

mighty_west
19-03-2024, 11:52 PM
My rant goes back to when the fixture was released, and again like last year, zero, none, ziltch, aught, nothing, zip, nil, nada, cipher, not one Bulldog's game in Brisbane or Gold Coast, mid 2022 was our last game at the Gabba, so when i hear people in Melbourne carry on about playing on certain days, times, grounds, don't like the seats or anything else etc.....ok i'll shut up.

chef
20-03-2024, 06:24 AM
My rant is Bolte Bridge being shut, should have got the heads up on the Hume, what a shamozzle getting through the City to the game.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
20-03-2024, 07:41 AM
It's been overdone. Good concept but with the appropriate technology to support it.

Totally agree. But every time I think I'm done with the concept, I am reminded of Tom Hawkins' blatant poster being awarded a goal in the 2010 GF. That pretty much cruelled any chance the Saints had of a win, and it so clearly would've been overturned on review had it been available.
I don't know how you govern it to make it sensible, but it really should be for obvious howlers, not the ones that still involve conjecture and ultimately human decision making anyway.